Scout

Dog walking and pet sitting solution

4,6
Brooke J.
Industry: Consumer Services

The best pet sitting software I previewed!

Reviewed on 2020/07/25

Overall I would give Scout 100 gold stars if I could.

Pros

Not only do I love the ease of use of this software, my clients do too! So many comment about how easy it is to book appointments, and how simple Scout has made billing (it's automatic!). Scout is always being improved upon, and the customer service is beyond top notch. You also cannot beat the cost.

Cons

No Cons! Any feature I have wanted for is on their list of "to-dos" to have out by the end of the year.

Kimberley F.
Company size: Self Employed

Scout was a great choice for my business

Reviewed on 2019/11/26

Our clients find Scout easy to use. They really enjoy the visit reports and photos that are automatically sent to them upon the completion of each service. The customer service with Scout is top notch. Best of all the software works properly, every time. Scout is highly automated which saves me a ton of time on administrative duties compared to the software I had previously.

Pros

Scout is easy to use and reliable. In the field I need software to work properly, every time. I can't waste precious time uninstalling and re-installing an app and with Scout I don't have to. The app is gorgeous and my clients seem to love it as much as I do.

Cons

The only drawback for me at this time is that billing cannot be customized (pre-pay, packages, etc.). This is something our previous software had and I've been telling my clients "It's coming" for a little over two months. But I am confident it is coming and I appreciate that Scout takes the time and care to do things properly - you don't want glitches with payments.

Leigh C.
Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Excellent app

Reviewed on 2020/10/25

I wouldn’t be without it

Pros

I love the ease of booking appointments and my clients also love the app and how easy it is to add pets and book appointments

Cons

I would like an option to turn off photo check in the dogs aren’t always easy subjects to photograph

Camille N.

Needs some tweaking...

Reviewed on 2019/05/27

Won't be renewing if the annual fee & Braintree fees remain as high as they are.

Pros

I appreciate the simplicity and clean interface. As well as the ease of billing and converting leads to clients.

Cons

Where to start... As a small business owner I feel the cost of the app combined with the Braintree fees is pushing me to not renew. I also am frustrated that I do not get direct alerts to my iPhone when new appointment requests come through. Instead it goes to email. As a busy dog walker I often don't check my email until the evening & early morning. This has lead to missing those last minute pet sitting requests. Lastly, I don't like how there are certain functions as a business owner I can't do. Instead I have to contact support. For example, deleting clients that have dropped off.

Response from PetMethod

Thank you for your feedback, Camille. I wanted to take a moment to address some of your concerns:

Pricing
Our pricing is very much in the middle of the pack. We aren't the cheapest, but we aren't the most expensive either and we believe for all of the tools that you get, it's a great value. With our annual fee, you're saving 17% over regular pricing which is cheaper than 90% of the competing softwares on the market.

Credit Card Fees
Credit card fees are currently not something we control. If you look at competing softwares, they generally all offer the same rates and that's because it's dictated by the payment processing companies. 2.9% + .30 is a standard across the industry. We are working with Braintree to negotiate lower rates in bulk, but it's not something that they budge on easily.

Other Functions
We can definitely always improve and will continue to do so. For alerts direct to your phone, the vast majority of customers take advantage of our email alerts.

Thank you!

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Enrique M.
Industry: Veterinary

Great app for pet services

Reviewed on 2020/03/03

Pros

- Ease of use
- Customized to my business with our logo and color scheme
- NO EXTRA FEES! most other apps take a percentage of the sales. Scout has a flat fee, regardless of how much or how little you make a month. It makes it easy to budget.

Cons

- I wish they had a "chat" feature to directly communicate with our clients. The only way to communicate as of now is via email.

- Their boarding/pet sitting process is a bit tedious, wish they had a way to adjust the booking and notifications to not overwhelm clients with tons of emails (an email is sent every day the dog boards)

Response from PetMethod

Hi Enrique, thanks for the amazing review! We appreciate it.

In-app chat and boarding/pet sitting enhancements are on our roadmap for this year

Chris K.

Great App, Great Developers

Reviewed on 2020/03/20

Pros

The developers are always trying to improve the software to make the user experience efficient. Customer service is top notch- they will always answer any issues or confusion you might have with the software very quickly.

Cons

A little difficult to set up every feature. They offer so many features it can be overwhelming.

Savannah K.
Company size: Self Employed

Perfect for our small business

Reviewed on 2019/10/07

Pros

Ease of use! It was simple to set up (took less than an hour). Clients love the ability to track and book their appointments. Being able to use my existing invoicing software

Cons

Clients can’t download pictures from the app but can from their email. Can’t edit an appointment from the professional app

Kasey H.

Review of Scout

Reviewed on 2020/06/23

Pros

I really like the email feature of Scout. I like how I can send certain emails to all my clients at the same time, or to certain ones as needed. The emails sent from Scout to my clients look very professional with my company colors and logo. I also love how you upload your service agreement and Scout keeps track of who signed / agreed and when. Unlike other pet service apps Scout allows you to write notes for the owner throughout the service rather than only after the service has been completed, and we can upload multiple photos for the owner to view. I find the "file vault" feature of Scout to be extremely helpful by keeping important documents organized, and it is easy to upload documents into each client's profile. Customer service has always been quick to respond and eager to help or answer any questions.

Cons

There are a few features from Scout that I would like to see improve. It would be extremely helpful if there was a scout admin app so that we could approve / alter walks via an app rather than a link through safari. It would also be helpful to get push notifications on our phone for appointment requests in addition to receiving an email. I've also had trouble with the billing process. As the administrator I would like to see exactly what my client is going to be billed as soon as the service is scheduled. I would like to be able to bill them before the service is over because as a pet sitter I require 50% payment ahead of time for certain services. At a meet and greet a client also tried to input their payment information and kept getting an error message. I had to allow for an alternate payment method just so the client could sign into Scout and I could show them how to schedule an appointment, etc. One last suggestion would be to have a website that allows clients to make appoints because several older clients prefer to use a computer rather than a smart phone. As of right now those without smart phones have to contact the administrator via phone or email and the administrator has to go into Scout and create the appointment for the client.

Hector C.

Best pet sitting software

Reviewed on 2020/04/02

Overall this software helps pet businesses to keep track of their team and their calendars. Their timer on their app and push notifications are life savers for teams and communication.

Pros

The ability to schedule your team out for future visits and having an application where they can view their upcoming visits is extremely helpful.

Cons

The GPS tracking was off on some visits which would alarm clients. However that is something that is a variable that is beyond their scope.

Raymond H.

Great support

Reviewed on 2020/01/01

I can't complain so far. the things I like least aren't deal breakers...just things that I see could get better in the future as the folks there get more input from real people and experiences.

Pros

I love the Scout app for it's ease of use on the client end. My customers love it and I do as well when it comes to knowing my schedule and all that fun stuff. Also Scout is very quick at getting back to me with questions and concerns.

Cons

I have spoken to folks at Scout about making version of the app for the administrator. Being a one man operation at the moment doesn't have me with a lap top all the time to take care of things like approving schedules and what not. I'd love to be able to use the app for working on my billing summaries or changing schedules while I'm out and about.

Melissa H.
Company size: Self Employed

I love this app, and so do my clients!

Reviewed on 2019/03/28

Scout has solved all of my organizational/scheduling problems, and has also entirely managed my billing for me, and for these two reasons alone I'm really thrilled with the software and plan to continue using it indefinitely. The added benefit of being able to keep my clients updated about their services in real time is the icing on the cake! Being able to communicate with clients in this way has also really cut down on the amount of time I need to spend outside of service appointments in discussion with them - leaving more of my downtime for me. Love this app and despite a few issues around increased functionality and options, would strongly recommend it to anyone in the industry.

Pros

This software is so easy to use - easy enough that all of my clients thus far have been able to use it with minimal troubleshooting from me, and they all LOVE it, even the ones who were initially sceptical or just not as excited about the benefits of the app. On my end, the simplicity of the app and desktop software made it easy to jump into using quickly - a very minor learning curve. I don't have any employees at this time but if that day ever comes I feel really confident that it will be easy for anyone I hire to pick up and use this software.

Cons

The one thing I have noted a couple of times is that the simplicity of the software does at times mean there are fewer options to for how you can use it. I checked into a couple of other similar platforms and was immediately overwhelmed by how many options were available to customize them to my own specific needs - so not having so many options was a selling point for me, but there have been times when I wished the app worked in ways that it simply does not yet. Having said that, the developers are awesome about requesting and listening to feedback from users, and they even have a system in place for users to publicly discuss and weigh in on potential changes - using the Trello website you can even see the updated progress that is being made towards implementing new options and changes. Also the developers are incredibly good about responding to any and all problems that might come up, no matter how small, in an almost shockingly short amount of time! So the customer service is another huge selling point.

Matt B.

Super simple to use. Quick to setup. It just works, so we don't have to.

Reviewed on 2018/06/11

Pros

This software seems like it was built for us. We have been doing sitting/walking since 2001, so have learned some lesson along the way. Most experienced companies are learning the same lessons and then mitigating them in one of a few ways. Scout is great because it's clear they have learned these same lessons and take you right to the solutions that matter.

Here are the heavy hitters for us that Scout "just does".
Employee issues (scheduling/availability, payroll/commissions, accountability/quality assurance). Logistics (home access details, workflow, job assignment).
Customer (auto-invoicing, auto-billing, walk status, walker location, request appointments, electronic agreements, etc).

What this means is that we can reduce manual effort which both increases accuracy as well as free up time to focus ON the business instead of IN the business.

In addition to these awesome software features, it is dead simple to use and the support team is spectacular. New releases are happening constantly and they come directly from customer feedback.

Cons

Right now it requires two apps (one for customers and one for walkers) while only allowing administrative access via webpage. It would be nice to have a web interface for customers and administrative duties, and then consolidate to a single app (while also adding administrative functions).

From our communications with the dev team, this is going to be a part of one of their big releases, so I guess this "Con" will be short-lived anyway.

Response from PetMethod

Matt, thank you for the amazing review! We really appreciate it!

Mike C.
Industry: Consumer Services

An absolute necessity for pet sitters... and pet owners.

Reviewed on 2019/03/26

I added "pet owners" to the title of this review because I believe it.... If you are in this business and not offering your customers the "peace-of-mind" that pet owners need, you are doing them a disservice.

The Scout app has become our No. 1 selling point to new customers. It is also the reason we retain business. A text and blurry photo just won't cut it anymore.

Every time we walk a dog for the first time, the client emails or calls to say, "This is amazing!" They love the notes, GPS and photos.... I exploit the Scout app on our website and in all of our materials... Aside from love and genuine care, Scout is the greatest benefit you can offer your clients and their pets.

From a customer service standpoint, executives are amazing. They care about their customers, always looking for input and respond to any issues in minutes -- and they truly care about the success of my business.... Honestly, bring the Scout platform to my business was the single best decision I have made to date.

Pros

Aside from the ease-of-use, billing/payment features, and customization, the Scout app has kept us organized and efficient.

It maintains a level of accountability for the walkers that could not be achieved without it.

Cons

I struggle to find anything that I would like to see improved. If something comes up, they are quick with a solution.

Katie K.
Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Overall: great customer service and features that cover just about everything--give it a try.

Reviewed on 2018/09/28

Pros

On the client side, being able to provide my clients with peace of mind via the built-in accountability features: report card including pictures, notes from sitter/walker, and GPS location.
On the sitter/walker side, I like the simple interface where they can access notes directly from the client and the business, they can see the daily list of places to be, keys they need and alarm codes.
On the business side, I enjoy the new messages feature, no monthly charge (great for slower months--they happen!), and the fantastic customer service. Even though it is a start-up, they put every client first. They don't charge you more for better service, they just provide great service.

Cons

On the client side, they have some difficulty learning how to set up the app--which means I have to baby them for the first bit, until they understand. Also. the "repeat" feature is hard to know when the last day is--causes some scheduling confusion.
On the sitter/walker side, the calendar cannot integrate with any other calendar. Just means you have to stay checking the app daily. Also, the sitters only get notified when they are assigned a job within 24 hours or so, instead of for every appointment.
On the business side, I've heard they are creating an app for the business owners, which I think will be beneficial, since we are often on the go too.

Corinne A.

I love using Scout

Reviewed on 2017/04/14

My name is Corinne and I'm a manager at Walk it Like a Dog in Philly.

Before Scout, I used another pet-sitting website where I spent a lot time managing the schedule and trying to keep up communication with staff and customers. Since switching over to Scout, I save a lot of time, which means I get to do what I love: playing with dogs and cats! Here's a few ways Scout helps me do that:

Drag and drop in the scheduler makes it easier to change the time of an appointment and the walker assigned to it. I love being able to compare my staff's schedules side-by-side in a visually appealing, easy-to-understand interface. All the appointments are clearly color coded by the different filters you can choose from: scheduled, canceled, late, in progress, and completed.

Scout has a great check in process. First of all, there aren't any special magnets or things you have to search for to check in. Don't even get me started! When you press a button at the front door, the app uses GPS to make sure the walker is at the right location and alerts the walker if they are too far away.

At this point, if there is an alarm you're about to set off, it pops up on the screen so you can't miss it, and you don't have to dig around for it. This is a real lifesaver because there have been many times as a walker I wasn't aware of an alarm and set it off before being able to find the notes. This is about the time when the police show up! Kicking off the check in process is as simple as taking a picture of the pet! This picture is immediately emailed to the customer, letting them know you are with their pet.

We really want our walkers to take pictures, but putting this into practice has always been an issue. Walkers would be asked to take pictures of the pets, but it was no guarantee, and I had to remind them constantly. Scout incorporates taking a picture right into walk process, so clients get a picture every time, and they absolutely love it!

Response from PetMethod

Thanks for the great feedback, Corinne! Appreciated!

Kerri G.
Industry: Individual & Family Services
Company size: Self Employed

Customer Support is above and beyone

Reviewed on 2019/11/21

The customer support is amazing and I am very happy overall. Any features that I'm looking for seem to be in the works.

Pros

The software is easy to use. I can easily add clients, create appointments and see everything that I have set up for the days in my app. The biggest pro is the customer service. I ask ALOT of questions and they always answer right away and are very pleasant. I do love that you can brand the app as your own as well.

Cons

There are some more features that I would like to see. I would love to have an app for the administration portion of the site as I'm not always near my computer and the website doesn't always work great on my phone. There are some other features that I have mentioned to them but it looks as though most of them are in the works. The cost of the app is a bit pricey as well.

Willie B.
Company size: Self Employed

Dependable, full-featured software backed by excellent customer service

Reviewed on 2019/04/26

I was already using software similar to Scout, but the customer service was so poor, I decided to shop around. I wish I'd done so earlier. I'm a one-person company, but I'm treated like I'm one of Scout's most lucrative clients. Whenever I have a question, I usually get a response within a minute or two. Seriously.

The developers are constantly adding features while improving existing ones. They rely heavily on client feedback and suggestions, and even have a Trello page set up so I can see precisely what they're working on and which stage it's in.

I've had no technical issues. I like the way it looks. I'm already pleased with it, and new features pop up every few weeks to make it even better. I think Scout is head and shoulders above its competition.

Pros

It has every feature I want from dog-walking software – scheduling, billing, credit-card processing, check-in/-out notifications, photos – and it does them all well. I love being able to add photos from my phone's roll, which lets me crop and add filters if I want.

On top of all of that, the developers are amazingly communicative and transparent about the development process.

Cons

At present, adding photos from the gallery on iOS is a bit slow. But the software is updated frequently, so I assume this will be improved soon.

Like others, I'm looking forward to the customer web portal (though I've only had one customer balk at having to download the app).

Claire A.
Company size: Self Employed

Perfect App for Personalized Care!

Reviewed on 2020/06/09

Using scout has saved me so much time and money each week when scheduling, coordinating with owners, manually tracking walks and more. Scout has made it easy for me not only to work with the clients I have now to maintain transparent bookings, but also to help organize leads directly on my own website! Any time I've needed help or had a question, I've been responded to by the guys that actually helped build the software within MOMENTS. They're not only helpful, easy to answer questions and extremely motivating, but it's clear that they care about their customers (and mine too!) They even followed up after one owner was having trouble with billing - who does that?! I'm so excited to have found Scout (recommended to me by[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] of City Dog Pack in NYC). They've helped my business grow and my stress levels decrease!

Pros

Saving time, money, energy! Helpful responses, quick response time. Genuine staff that care about their customers! Easy billing, easy navigation, and greater transparency for all dog owners!

Cons

There are a few kinks that can be worked out, but they're currently working on updates. I wish I could confirm bookings through the app on my phone, rather than logging onto my computer. Likewise, I wish owners were able to book the same service and click multiple days (for those that are booking the same service each week, but on varying days ie. changing schedules).

Shady A.
Industry: Hospitality

A dog walkers best friend

Reviewed on 2019/02/19

I was having a hard time collecting payments before using Scout, and the report clients get are clean and easy to fill out. Even my older clients that are not tech savvy know how to use the app easily.

Pros

The customer service is simply amazing they are fast to respond to any and all questions or concerns. This software helps keep my clients happy and informed on how their pups did on the services they requested. Easy to use for both clients and employees for booking and to run payroll

Cons

Not being able to use the app to approve requests and to make changes on services. even though I can use my mobile device browser to do all those things that's the one downfall so nothing major.

Response from PetMethod

Thank you, Shady! We really appreciate the kind words.

Katie C.
Industry: Veterinary

Game Changer

Reviewed on 2019/03/28

My experience with Scout has been very positive. I don't think I could have made it through the previous holiday season without it. It's invaluable, in my opinion. I'm working hard to get to full capacity. Once I accomplish that, I'm looking forward to hiring help. Scout's staffing features help make business growth very achievable.

Pros

The amount of time it saves me. Conservatively Scout software increases my capacity for pet care by 50%. Now when I finish pet care for the day I can make dinner and relax instead of catching up on paperwork and invoicing.

Cons

Some clients have a difficult time utilizing the scheduling component of the software. Little hiccups like this are to be expected and it's mostly user error.

Nicole Y.
Company size: Self Employed

Scout is absolutely amazing for my business!

Reviewed on 2017/06/01

They make everything so easy, from scheduling to billing. I couldn't ask for anything better!

Pros

I love the simplicity of the layout, for both the website and the app for owners/pet sitters. Everything is so easy to figure out, but if you ever need help, their support is incredible! I've had a few issues (of my own doing!) so far, but every time I've reached out to support, they've responded very quickly and in a friendly manner, not like most companies these days! Their apps are very user-friendly, for pet owners and sitters, and they offer all of the features that you could want for your pet sitting business. I couldn't be happier that I found out about them, since I'm switching from a pet sitting website to my own business, and Scout has made it so simple and pain-free!!

Cons

I wish that the camera was a little quicker for capturing those fast puppies, but I was told that they'd look into improving it.

Response from PetMethod

Thanks for the great review, Nicole. We really appreciate it!

James G.
Industry: Consumer Services

Great product and friendly/responsive staff

Reviewed on 2018/09/29

Overall, very positive. We’ve had a few issues with customers phones not being updated or the app being a little wonky but the team at Scout is always right on it and happy to help. We never feel like we’re left to fend for ourselves because they’re just a simple chat away.

Pros

I love the simplicity of using it. The software seemed very familiar from the get-go and most of our customers have no questions at all on how to set up. This saves us a lot of Bach and forth emails.

Cons

It does lack some features such as iCal integration, and branding capabilities. They do seem open to suggestions but those are things that would make this product a 10/10 for me

Colton B.

Overall, it is a fantastic program that is extremely inexpensive for what it provides

Reviewed on 2018/04/16

Pros

The cost is by far the top selling point for this software. I also really enjoy the features that are built in, mainly the photograph check in system. It makes our walker's job much easier.

Cons

When adding a customer, it doesn't immediately take you to the pet portion (which you need to schedule any appointments). The GPS tracking isn't the greatest or most accurate out there but it gets the job done.

Response from PetMethod

Thanks for the feedback, Colton! Much appreciated!

We are working on a new mobile app with better GPS tracking. Also, I like the idea of offering to add pets right away after creating a customer. We'll add it to our list!

Angelic S.
Company size: Self Employed

Great Experience So Far!!

Reviewed on 2020/03/19

I’ve already emailed Scout about some improvements that clients requested and things I’ve suggested. I really wish I could add, edit and cancel appointments while mobile in the app and not just from my computer. And clients REALLY want to be able to login on their computers as an option as well. But overall I’m very happy with Scout and especially their CS. I have already recommended to others and will continue to do so!

Pros

Was pretty easy to transition all my clients over to it. Customer service is super fast to respond to questions or concerns. And very knowledgeable and helpful.

Cons

I had some bugs when trying to upload photos during appointments. I did the recommendations Scout suggested. They have greatly improved this issue. But it still happens during some appointments. 2nd issue that has been happening this last week is when you snap the photo to begin appointment, it would kick me out and close the app. Not good when you are on a schedule and can’t start the appointment because of this.

Abby B.
Industry: Individual & Family Services

Scout Software

Reviewed on 2018/09/28

My overall experience with scout has been positive. I appreciate the ease of use and customer service.

Pros

The pros associated with scout software begin with the customer service. Any time I have needed help or had a question, the scout team has always been quick to respond and helpful.

Cons

What I like least about Scout software is the ease of use. I have commonly had customers that are already familiar with the software run into issues with scheduling. Also, I am not fond of the credit card transaction fees associated with Braintree when I can use PAYPAL or venmo for free.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10