FWi

Digital signage for visual communications

Jordan S.

Cadillac of Digital Signage Software

Reviewed on 2018/12/21

Working with FWi is always a pleasure because they are focused on development and customer satisfaction.

Pros

Functionality, support, and community. There are a lot of things that can be done with this software other than just displaying visual content.

Cons

Steep learning curve, but tons of resources are available

Shawn K.

Great Products & Customer Service

Reviewed on 2019/01/22

Very pleased. Quick responses and very knowledgeable staff.

Pros

I like the appearance of the reader boards and the diverse options we have in changing the appearance to meet our groups needs.

Cons

Somewhat complicated to use if not familiar with this type of system.

Aram F.

Great Product and Exceptional Customer Support

Reviewed on 2019/02/05

Pros

Four Winds is a very robust and mature digital signage system. There is a lot of flexibility, fantastic resources and free templates. Customer service reps are always very sharp and have been able to resolve any issue i've encountered.

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve because of the number of features and full control that the software provides. Overall this is a good thing though and FourWinds makes it easy to learn through their community site. They also have great trainers.

• Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

It was a great experinc working with FWI

Reviewed on 2019/05/14

Pros

The software is great, but I think the best part about FWI is the amazing group of professionals that I had the privilege of working with. They were responsive, knowledgeable, and they went the extra mile for me on my project. Everything went very smoothly from design to launch.

Cons

There wasn't really anything I disliked about the software. The main issues were caused by the way that we deployed the system and our internal network and security rules. There wasn't anything specific to FWI that I disliked.

Barbara D.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Vaiuable product

Reviewed on 2019/02/06

FWI has served our University well in managing our digital signage

Pros

Flexibility for managing both simple and more complex signs

Cons

Steep learning curve for more than just basic signs

Philip H.

Very Powerful

Reviewed on 2015/08/26

Pros:
- Has desktop & web based Content Manager
- Has option to host locally or SaaS
- Powerful in Wayfinding and integration with database
- Complete online documentation from wiki.fourwindsinteractive.com (manual and video tutorial)
- Regularly updated
- Has native app to play on iOS

Cons:
- Need basic training to newbie
- Because the features is very complete, it need advanced training or spent more times to become expert
- No native app to play on Android

Ben E.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

It's not perfect, but it's as close as any signage software has gotten

Reviewed on 2019/01/14

I have done countless projects using FWi as the foundation for our solutions. No matter what the project required, I was able to get it done with FWi. They have some of the best features available for data integration, content playback, performance, and network management. It's also quick to pick up and use without any training if you're just trying to get content on to some screens quickly. For those looking to do very complex projects, the software is powerful and can do just about anything, but you may need to be somewhat familiar with more advanced technical concepts. No "wizards" found here.

Pros

The way locations, templates and content cascade down the network tree is both familiar and intuitive, but don't let the simplicity fool you: there are powerful features and settings just under the surface if you know where to look that allow you to build almost anything you can think of.

Cons

Accomplishing complex solutions like integrating unique data structures or getting certain behaviors to function properly can involve some trial and error. Documentation for more advanced abilities in the past has been notoriously lacking, although there has been some improvement since they switched to their community portal. The appearance of the CMD software seems a bit antiquated, like old Windows programs.

Pejman P.

Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2019/01/28

FWI has been a great partner for over 10 years now, providing a solution that has grown with our digital needs in hospitality, while providing a great service and support over the years.

Pros

Ease of use, and flexibility. Being cloud based also provides the ability to make changes quickly and on the fly as needed. It is great to be able to deploy these players rather quickly and have the flexibility to do so as needs and client demands change.

Cons

Not much that I have not liked about this software. This is not a negative comment regarding the software, but being a cloud based solution it is critical to have a proper infrastructure behind this solution. This solution does not require a high amount of bandwidth to manage, but it is critical to have a stable connection to get the full benefits. This is specially important when pushing large contents like videos or HD images from the content manager to the players.

Kenneth S.
  • Industry: Sports

Great Piece of Software....If You're Like Everyone Else

Reviewed on 2019/01/15

It started out great with promises of "you can do anything" and for the first year, that was true. We got a lot of unique builds and customized signage needs taken care of with superior customer service. Over the years, however, because we're the only client of theirs that utilizes our unique build, we've been ignored for other clients who aren't as complicated and are willing to pay for help. We are given promise upon promise with very lackluster results.

Pros

It gets the job done for dynamic signage that most competitors can't perform (i.e. live data, IPTV, motion graphics, etc.)

Cons

If you are in need of something custom and unique, you are put on the backburner while other customers who are more "standard" are taken care of (i.e. we've been asking and were promised a Unified Player for years.....they usurped development of it for a Cloud based storage system, which, while useful, ignores any of our needs that were promised to us).

Michael U.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Visual Communications Manager - I had my title changed after going to Forward!

Reviewed on 2019/05/08

Outstanding!

Pros

Flexibility and reliability. Support is very responsive and the techs know their stuff.

Cons

Scheduling - not being able to batch delete outdated interrupts and recurrences.

Brady S.

Keep up the Great Work Fourwinds

Reviewed on 2019/01/25

The overall business relationship with FWI is exceptional. Our representative by far is the best account manager we had at Fourwinds. She is very timely on her responses and always gets me what I need. Everyone I worked with at FWI has been fantastic.

Pros

The user friendly software. It's very straight forward and it allows for a complex list of content items. For the most part even our basic computer users can publish content.

Cons

Upgrades - We are on a version that needs to touch every content player when an upgrade is needed. I never really could get the push of an upgrade to work.

Angela K.
  • Industry: Banking

Fourwinds play

Reviewed on 2019/01/28

When needed their customer service was very helpful. They are quick to diagnose and resolve issue. When necessary they send out replacements right away.

Pros

ease of use. The interface to setup is very user friendly

Cons

Sometimes have issue with it not deploying right away

Josh Z.

Need a bigger shoe?

Reviewed on 2019/05/09

Pros

Eventually, if you're like me, you'll push the limits of you CMS. I like to do more. Maybe you started out wanting to push images to a single display. However, as your business grows, you may now need to pull live data and push that to your display giving your staff up to date metrics to judge business decisions. Does your current Content Management system provide that? Maybe it doesn't. Maybe you didn't know you needed that. I've discovered over the last twelve years as a designer and CMS admin I needed an overly robust shoe to perform in. I outgrew my last CMS and needed more functionality. FourWinds was that bigger shoe, for me. As I grow to do more with my digital signage the FourWinds platform is growing faster and I can't keep up. Thats a good thing! You don't want to eventually outgrow your shoe, you want your shoe to grow with you. Changing your CMS, because it can't keep up what with your business needs is painful. I done it three times and it's a pain, to say the least. To sum it up, the FourWinds content management system seems to have few boundaries and I like that the most.

Cons

If I had to come up with what I like least about the FourWinds software my list wouldn't be long. I have to separate my gripes into two categories. Are my issues caused by the media player I'm choosing to use or is it the software? Most of my gripes are directed at the media player which, really, has nothing to do with the software at all. So, separating the two, I would wish for a way to bulk upload assets. Each month I create, upload and schedule 40-60 promotional assets. If I could select, schedule, set duration of play, days to play, upload, etc. as a bulk list without doing it one at a time would save me considerable time. That would be what I like least about this software.

Nate M.

FWI in higher ed

Reviewed on 2019/01/14

In higher education, we're trying to improve the student experience so that we can attract and retain students. FWI helps to keep students engaged with what is happening on campus.

Pros

The strongest aspect of FWI signage software is the ability to integrate with so many sources of data, including RSS, XML, SQL, and JSON. This has allowed us to greatly reduce the time spent manually managing sign content, as the signs update themselves as information is entered into our many different systems of record which serve as sources of content/data.

Cons

The Content Manager Desktop application, as it exists currently, is Windows-only and is much too complex for a beginning user who will only need to make simple image/video content updates. The application is incredibly powerful and makes sense to a power user, but I'm glad to see the FWI Cloud content library start to become available to serve the needs of basic content contributors.

Richard V.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Most versitile display system software I have seen.

Reviewed on 2018/12/21

This system has made my 1000+ unit display system monster something that can now be managed and modified daily with only two people required for content creation, scheduling and deployment and system configuration.

Pros

My prior display system was extensively customized because the base software had little functionality. The Four Winds Display System has allowed me eliminate my custom programs because all the functionality is built into the system. I have been able to transition myself from a custom program to a user because of this system. Life is much less complicated now.

Cons

I have used the system for over 4 years now at 20 different locations. I recommend using a fanless computer solution for long player lifespan or use their Samsung smart TV technology to help minimize costs. I believe they have a cloud based system available or coming very soon.

Justin H.

Excellent Customer Service!

Reviewed on 2019/01/22

My overall experience is wonderful! It is a busy world nowadays and even when I may have forgotten to followup with FWI, they took the time to follow up with me to ensure the project was completed. They made me feel part of the family and not just another number.

Pros

The ease of use and ability to customize the service how I need it.

Cons

Nothing really! Great service that helped my company grow!

John R.
  • Industry: Research

FWI Feedback

Reviewed on 2019/02/28

Very good

Pros

It is flexible and powerful and constantly being improved

Cons

My version relies on IE for HTML which has caused several problems. I understand the updated version has the option of chromium though. Have had issues with powerpoint as well.

Joseph B.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Four Winds is a Great System!

Reviewed on 2019/02/20

Four Winds will always be in my discussions whenever it comes to purchasing a new system!

Pros

Four Winds gives the user a lot of options when it comes to managing their digital software. We love their support!

Cons

The software is a little cumbersome, but that is because it does so much. Their support is excellent and can help you out with anything!

Marcia S.

Inconsitent

Reviewed on 2019/01/22

Sometimes great sometimes no answers... I have been pending info now for about 2 weeks

Pros

Automation, i do not have to manually enter information. It saves me time when it works

Cons

Inconsistency. Sometimes i call and the person is helpful and great and other is like a tunnel with no end

Justin A.

Streamlined our signage system

Reviewed on 2019/01/14

Great customer service that is quick to repsond and offer insights in solving problems we have encountered with our deployment.

Pros

We had 3 old systems, one for wayfinding, one for signage and 1 a bit of both. Four Winds Interactive allowed us to consolidate our signage/wayfinding into 1 system and gain loads of functionality at the same time.

I could build the system I imagined from scratch utilizing Four Winds Interactive. This included creating my own templates, design and touch functionality to make it work best for our audience. It could integrate with 3rd party data utilizing JSON or XML which makes it extremely versatile.

Cons

Many past problems I have run into including documentation, etc are being actively addressed by the company with enhancements coming to the customer portal.

Content Manager Desktop is only available on Windows (which creates extra steps for Mac users like myself) but with their new Cloud system I need to open Content Manager Desktop less frequently.

John h. R.
  • Industry: Research
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Simply the best you can buy

Reviewed on 2019/05/09

We have been able to not only bring the basic day-to-day event information to our organization but to take our signage messaging to unique areas that we did not originally foresee​. The breadth of where we can take this seems to be limitless.

Pros

FWI is constantly innovating, staying current regarding industry trends and progressively adding useful functionality and features.

Cons

There can be a steep learning​ curve for new users. A drag and drop GUI for general users may be a good feature in the future.

IT Comm Manager

Reviewed on 2019/01/15

Outstanding people and support. The product continues to grow.

Pros

It is very versatile. It can handle many file types. It is very stable.

Cons

Software is never perfect. I do not have any issue with the system that I would consider a problem.

Mike D.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Four Winds V5.X.X

Reviewed on 2019/05/08

Overall I think Four Winds is the best choice of software for my companies needs. I would not suggest Four Winds to a small company as it is a steep price to get started. It does allow you the most options possible out of all of the signage software's I have worked with in regards to customization. I am very happy in all with the software and look to use it greatly in the future.

Pros

-Functionality
-Scalability
-Great for large companies to manage multiple locations
-Very Customizable
-Almost all systems are able to be integrated into the Four Winds Software

Cons

-Process intensive software on the players
-Thick Client for administrators (CMD)
-Web version does not have 100% functionality of Thick Client at this time

Meredith N.
  • Industry: Public Safety

Reviewed on 2019/05/09

I've enjoyed using the software and customer service is good.

Pros

I like that it's easy to use and install. I felt that it was easy to configure and the price of training was good too. I like that they allow you to do online training.

Cons

Can't think of anything at the moment. I enjoy using this software.

Keith R.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Great Solution for multiple sites deployment

Reviewed on 2019/02/04

I work at a college and we use the signage to advertise internal events and functions to our on site students and faculty. We also have interactive touch displays for wayfinding and information centers. My next goal is to get some to act as building directories for students to locate faculty and staff offices.

Pros

versatile feature sets, "magic folders" make adding or subtracting content as easy as drag and drop so we can set things up for ANY user to be able to add content from their department without having to know the software inside and out.

Cons

It is a little difficult to fully grasp all the controls from the administrative side.