Shift

Desktop app for managing your accounts, apps, and workflows.

Sailaja N.
Sailaja N.
  • Industry: Publishing

Using shift has been amazing. It is seamless in its design and allows me to manage multiple...

Reviewed on 2018/01/09

It saves so much time and is really incredibly easy to use

It saves so much time and is really incredibly easy to use

Pros

That it integrates with a wide variety of software, messaging apps and more. I love that i can easily toggle between multiple email identities as well as messaging apps. I haven't tried some of the more recent additions, but am excited to.

Cons

It's still a little bit of a clunky UI and I wish there were more app integrations (like airtable). I also wish I could visually customize the appearance a bit more.

A mail client which brings all of my google services into one place, across accounts....

Reviewed on 2018/01/09

All of my email in one place, including my calendar. It's a familiar interface since it just uses the gmail native interface. The aggregation of accounts / services to a desktop client makes it a win.

Pros

Having a single mail client which brings all my accounts together. I like that they are all separated, but I can quickly change between them and see unread count in the sidebar. Shortcuts to jump to my calendar and back to my inbox make it quick and easy.
Having it in a desktop client allows me to not need to worry about the browser and which account I'm signed into right now when pulling up my mail.
Ease of use, convenient and familiar (gmail interface), quickly fetched mail, and other features make this a goto client for me right now.
The extensibility now with extensions is a great feature.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like the memory usage by Shift can get a little out of hand. I tend to force quit the application and relaunch it. Sometimes an extension doesn't work correctly and it's not clear how to fix it (like the Zoom extension saying I need to log in again to authenticate, but then not having a method of doing so - at least not easily found).

Lauren

Shift by Redbrick Review

Reviewed on 2019/10/16

It's neutral. I like it for collecting email, Trello, and Slack into one window, but the rest of my experience has been mediocre. I thought this would eliminate my million tabs, but the integrations that sold me on the product don't function as they should, so that simply isn't the outcome I got. Support was helpful in offering for me to switch to the beta version, but I am not convinced that will solve any of these issues, and I don't have time to email back and forth with support every single time this happens.

Pros

1. Ease of use
2. Interface
3. Having Trello, Slack, and two email accounts in one window

Cons

Many of the integrations I hoped to use simply do not work. So for Shift to claim it has them and then to experience them not functioning effectively is extremely frustrating. And this is not user error. I have tried closing, quitting, and reopening the application, refreshing, logging in and out of accounts, and completely deleting and re-adding integrations. Nothing helped. I completely understand glitches now and again and understand these integrations require communication between platforms. However, the extent to which I am having issues with integrations is unreasonable.

I'm specifically referring to:

1. Spotify (won't play music)
2. Toggl (won't load, blank screen except for top navigation)
3. Squarespace (won't load)
4. Sprout social (won't load, blank screen)

Response from Shift Technologies Inc.

Thank you for the review! We're happy to hear you're finding Shift easy to use and enjoying having your apps and multiple email accounts in one window. You may have noticed the addition of focused web tabs recently and that many of the bugs you mentioned have been fixed. However, if you're still have any of these issues or any new issues have come up, we'd love to hear from you. Feel free to reach out or to create a support ticket (https://support.tryshift.com/new).

Rachel
Rachel
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Best tool I didn't know I needed

Reviewed on 2019/07/05

You will save time you didn't know you can get back. It's a game-changer, particularly for contract and freelance workers who have so many accounts.

Pros

Having everything in one app has been a game-changer. I use multiple GSuite accounts, 5+ Slack Workspaces, Evernote, ClickUp for project management, Toggl to track time - all of these apps running on my computer made it really slow and I didn't realize how much time I spent navigating around everything. Shift conveniently puts everything in 1 place and has saved me so much time I didn't know I could get back.

Cons

I do run a lot in it, but 1-2 times a day I have to reload the entire app because it's glitching and won't save properly (I've never lost anything because I realize it super fast, but still annoying)

Steven
Steven

Saves me 1 'unit' of energy each day in "switching costs"

Reviewed on 2019/10/15

Delightful. Honestly from going to their website, downloading the free version of the software, buying the upgraded version, using it....it's all been easy and enjoyable

Pros

It saves me time and energy each day as it allows me to SHIFT between the major tools and platforms I work from.

Fast, easy, light. I love it.

Cons

I learned right after paying for it that there is another software called Station that is similar and free. There are some tools + platforms I use that do not (yet) integrate with Shift.

Response from Shift Technologies Inc.

Thanks for the review! We're glad to hear that you're saving time and energy because of Shift. We are always adding tools and platforms to Shift. If you have some specific apps you'd like to see, feel free to reach out and we can get them in our roadmap.

Daniel
Daniel
  • Industry: Executive Office

Shift is a time saver and a life saver

Reviewed on 2020/09/16

I have used the paid version for years. It is fantastic. Everything I use all day in one central location. No more open tabs and jumping between tabs or apps. Simple and elegant!

Pros

Shift allows me to get more done in my day and has helped me to increase my productivity. It is well thought out and so easy to use and deploy.

Cons

To be honest, I don't have a feature I don't like.

Michael
Michael

Intuitive software to keep all your accounts organized

Reviewed on 2019/03/10

After a 2-month trial run, we were forced to move on from Shift, as great as it was due to the Gmail account restriction. If you use Gmail for business, then this is a great solution to streamlining all your services under one roof.

Pros

Shift is great at it's core functionality: having all your accounts logged in and ready to go, without having a million browser tabs open. This is especially handy if you have multiple accounts for the same service (ex: multiple Gmail accounts), as it saves you from having to log in/out or switch accounts.

Shift supports a ton of services natively, such as most major email provider, social medias, CRM's, and other business software.

Cons

The biggest drawback of Shift is the fact that your Shift account must be tied to a Gmail account. If you use Outlook/Office365, you'll have to connect it to a Gmail account first in order to set up your additional emails.

For companies that use Office365 for all in-office accounts, this obviously won't work, since there's no workaround and no solution in sight according to support.

Minh
Minh
  • Industry: Research
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

Organize your Life

Reviewed on 2019/10/16

Pros

Everything I need from Email, GroupMe, Slack, Mendeley on the work side and Facebok, Reddit, Duolingo even on the social/personal side is all grouped into one platform

Cons

You do have to pay for the advanced feature, especially the 'Sent from Shift' Signature
It signs out of your accounts sometimes

Eric
Eric

A promising email/browser app with consistent updates from user feedback

Reviewed on 2018/01/10

Pros

It enables me to use all my google emails and office 365 emails in one dashboard with their web app interface. It integrates with Grammarly and other important Google extensions to help you replace the need for your browser in most cases. It also integrates with a ton of apps like Dropbox, Hubspot, Asana, and more so you access those directly from Shift.

Cons

The browser/link functionality needs some improvement and few glitches here and there that will be fixed as more users report them. Overall, solid platform that makes managing multiple google emails a breeze.

• Industry: Telecommunications

Useful tool for people maintaining multiple accounts across different platforms

Reviewed on 2019/03/14

As I mentioned above, if you are managing multiple accounts, email accounts, social media, log-ins for clients etc. It can be a great tool to gain back organization and control.

Pros

I truly enjoyed the ease and simplicity of shift. When I was using Shift I was a personal assistant and had many different accounts/emails and logins to keep track of and this simplified everything for me. I lreally liked it.

Cons

I thought it still had a little ways to go in terms of UI and interface. Sometimes appeared clunky, so while simple, not 100% seamless

Gene

My New Dashboard for Everything

Reviewed on 2019/11/12

I started out looking for a solution that would let me run multiple Gmail accounts without having to log out of one to log in to another. Shift did exactly what I was looking for.... and more. Simply by clicking an account icon, I could switch between Google accounts and have full access to ALL services in that Google account.

Pretty soon, I was using Shift as my primary email client. Then I started using it as my interface to all my GDrive accounts. Then I discovered that I could add other common apps. The latest update added a built in browser. Now, I am pretty much using Shift as my dashboard for most of what I do online.

It's a marvel of design that combines simplicity, ease-of-use, and powerful functionality into a single window with multiple panes. This is the front end tool that Google would have designed if it had done a better job of understanding how its products were used in the real world, i.e. multiple services across multiple accounts, combined with frequent use of other apps.

The only problem I have had is that they frequently update the product, and one update became incompatible with my older MacOS. But the support people were super helpful, and within a week or so they had come up with a patch to fix things.

At this point, Shift has become a more important tool in my online activities than Google Chrome, and that says a lot.

Pros

- intuitive, simple user interface
- ability to control multiple accounts in multiple apps without signing in and out
- seamless integration with Google mail, drive and other services
- ability to add practically any app that I might use
- works on both my WIndows and Mac devices

Cons

- would like a little more flexibility to customize the gmail interface
- have had a couple of issues with newer upgrades not working with my older MacOS

Philip
  • Industry: Music

A Company that Knows Where It's Going

Reviewed on 2020/04/05

In my opinion $100 per year is negligible to be able to search across all your work platforms and re-organize your work environment. That said, some readers may not have money to blow in which case Shift is not for them. If you are looking for a free option that consolidates email and apps, don't despair. There are apps like Franz and Rambox to name but a few. These apps are similar to Shift in many ways but offer more options in terms of their free versions. If you are professional willing to invest in an app that may well save you time and money in the long run, then this might be a perfect fit.

Pros

According to their website, "Shift is the desktop app for streamlining your accounts, apps, and workflows." and if you watch a tutorial video you'll see it does exactly that. On the free version you can add two email accounts and 1 app account. Thus, the free version is ideal for someone who only has two Google accounts but still wants to consolidate things. The pro version costs less than 100 dollars; $99.99 per year; that's roughly $8.33 per month. It's the pro option where Shift really shines. Pro allows unlimited email accounts and apps along with the ability to do a unified search across all accounts and apps. Customers willing to pay for pro can truly streamline their workflow into one highly efficient system. Shift also offers a Team version, but you must provide details and ask for a price quotation.

Cons

The only con is that some people, like me for instance, might fail to notice the fine print and think they're getting all the pro features for free. The free version doesn't offer anything that most mail clients can't already do. As such, it seems like the free version only exists as a means to tempt the user into buying the pro version where things really happen.

Matthew

Shift has optimized my life!

Reviewed on 2019/10/15

Overall, my experience has been incredibly positive. I am looking forward to starting my second year with the membership and fully maximizing the increased efficiency. My peers marvel at how I am able to balance all of the various commitments and work that is required and I owe so much of that to Shift. As someone who works remotely from my co-workers, communication is vital to be effective in my job. With Shift, I am always at the top of my game!

Pros

The ability to manage several accounts and applications simultaneously from one desktop has increased my production dramatically. I serve on several boards and have positions that require monitoring as many as 8 emails. Shift has given me the ability to easily move between accounts and constantly keep my pulse on what is happening in my various roles. I like to operate with maximum efficiency and be very timely with my responses and Shift has allowed me to be at the top of my game at all times.

Cons

This is a nitpick, but I am someone who likes to have zero unread emails in my inbox. The hotkey to make an email read is Ctrl + Q. However, that is also the hotkey for closing the application. So I will frequently close out of Shift and have to re-login which is inconvenient. I also find that the logins will frequently expire for emails I do not check daily and it can cause issues where I am not aware that new messages have arrived since the inbox is not updating.

BONNIE
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

SHIFT - merging all of your email inboxes, messaging apps, and other apps into one place.

Reviewed on 2021/02/12

When I am using my laptop, I don't have much space to shift from different browsers. It's a high space saving tool.

Pros

I appreciate that I can have the feature called, "workspaces." This is a section on the side panel where you can open up or bookmark any relevant tabs according to a particular project, or "workspace." I have one workspace for all of my assistants to research. This workspace can also be shared which is awesome.

Cons

Some apps are not available. For instance, they don't have Kakaotalk which is a pretty popular Korean messaging app (that has a desktop function as well).

Others are a latency issue when loading. The browser is running off of Chrome. And when you switch between browsers or messaging apps, there is a 1-2 second latency. I original thought it was my internet, but I contacted Shift and they said that's a common occurrence with the nature of the software.

Response from Shift Technologies Inc.

Hi Bonnie,

Thank you so much for your review of Shift. We love to hear that you're using Workspaces to collaborate with your team. Thanks for the app suggestion, we are adding new apps all the time. We have added Kakaotalk to the list and you should see it live within the next few weeks!

Best Productivity Software Available

Reviewed on 2019/10/16

Shift allows me to save time during my day by keeping all of my important communication tools, including multiple Gmail accounts, open and accessible without having to switch between accounts in the browser. Staying on top of multiple email accounts and other methods of communication during the day (such as Facebook Messenger and Android Messages) was time consuming and ineffective. But with Shift, it puts it all in once place and is very easy to use!

Pros

Access to multiple Gmail accounts within a single window and no switching accounts. Also love having access to other web applications within a single app as well. Allows you to build out a customized set of web apps to save you time during your day.

Cons

To be honest, I have had very few issues with Shift. Google Forms can be a pain sometimes as their don't always want to open in the child windows, but other than that, it just works.

Caron

Changed My Life

Reviewed on 2019/10/22

I manage multiple gmail accounts, both internal accounts and client accounts, and Shift changed my life. I was consistently having issues of being signed into too many gmail accounts and having to log out and log back in and on and on. Shift seriously added time back into my day. I also now use it to manage Slack accounts, Trello, Toggl and more. Absolutely love this software.

Pros

The ability to manage multiple email and web applications in one place. The ability to move between the accounts with one click. The ability to see all badge notifications so I can tend to the accounts that need attention and ignore the ones that don't without having to login to every single one.

Cons

From time to time, it seems like the program gets overwhelmed and crashes. When that happens, I typically restart it twice before it resumes normally.

Bracken

Amazing Software!

Reviewed on 2019/10/21

Fantastic and wonderful! Would recommend to anyone.

Fantastic and wonderful! Would recommend to anyone.

Pros

This makes managing my many accounts as easy as pie. I have 6 Gmail accounts I work with, and plenty of applications too - having them all in one easy-to-access place makes my workflow smooth and reliable. I love this software.

Cons

It sometimes glitches and shows notifications that don't exist or are already cleared.

Flow

Reasons for Switching to Shift

Looked easier. Is easier.
Roger
  • Industry: Law Practice

Condensing a work pc into software

Reviewed on 2022/01/26

My overall experience with Shift has been positive. The ability to disconnect me from work is critical.

Pros

The thing I appreciate most about Shift is the fact that it acts as my work PC, on my personal PC. I have it open all day and use it for communications via email, Discord, Tweetdeck and Linkedin. When I'm done with my day, I simply close the app and I don't have to worry about alerts or pings while I'm using my PC for personal matters. It helps create an easy way to disconnect from work.

Cons

Shift can be very resource intensive if you leave it open. At times, this has slowed my PC down significantly, requiring a reboot.

Stanton
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Great, but buggy

Reviewed on 2019/10/21

I solve problems that cannot be done with multiple browser tabs open. Shift helps me amazingly. Just wish it didn't eat through my computer so much

Pros

I love the fact I can go in between my multiple emails, various Google programs, and add apps. Love all of those features.

Cons

I'm not a fan of the fact that I can't have both sheets and docs open (for example) at the same time without opening a new window.

Additionally, the slow opening, my inability to copy/paste with my mouse in Google Doc or Sheets is BEYOND frustrating

Response from Shift Technologies Inc.

Thanks for your review! We're happy to hear that you're loving the Shift features that allow you to manage multiple email, Google and app accounts. You have likely already noticed, but our 4.0 release that included focused web tabs will allow you to have multiple docs and sheets open at the same time. If you have any questions about this, feel free to reach out and our team will be glad to help.

Stephanie
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Best way to organize multiple email accounts

Reviewed on 2019/10/16

The ability to track all the email accounts and the extra widgets to help optimize and save time most definitely work. We went through many email management systems before finding shift and shift has been a life saver. With the extra tools we were also able to find other services that help optimize our time too.

Pros

The ability to manage multiple inboxes. I currently track 5 inboxes and the ability to track all of them in one place is a huge time saver.

Cons

Which there were some apps. We use Sunsa along side of asana that would a good app to add

Response from Shift Technologies Inc.

Thank you for the review! We're excited to hear that you find Shift the best way to organize multiple inboxes. Thank you for the suggestion of Sunsa, we are always adding new apps and have added it to the list. Stay tuned!

• Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Shift saves me a lot of time daily

Reviewed on 2019/10/16

For historial reasosn, I have several G Suite and Google accounts that I need to access every day. Shift greatly simplifies that task, and the gloabl search function can't be matched with a web browser clien.

Pros

All of my G Suite and Google accounts can be accessed from one screen. It saves so much time. The integartion of other accounts such as Twietter, Facebook, and LinkedIn is also quite helpful. I don't have to keep checking a bunch of tabs on a web browser to see if I have notifications.

Cons

I don't really have any major complaints. Occasionally I'm required to login in again, which seems to be random.

CIERA
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Great Tool

Reviewed on 2019/10/15

I find it very useful and helpful in keeping my work portals organized and accessible. There are a few small things I'd like tweaked or added but overall I enjoy having it.

Pros

What I like most about Shift is how it centralizes all of the different sites and apps that I use on a regular basis and keeps them all organized and in one place for me to access. Particularly for work it is helpful to have all of my work tools in one place that I can easily access rather than having a ton of windows and tabs open mixed in with everything else.

Cons

I wish that there were more apps available to integrate into my Shift screen. I also wish that it did not periodically log me out of my apps that I have within shift. The appeal of it is the ease of use and access and that is somewhat diminished when I have to continue to enter and re-enter my passwords. I also wish it had an internet browser option/feature within it.

Response from Shift Technologies Inc.

Thanks for the review! We're glad to hear that you're enjoying being able to centralize your apps and emails in one place with Shift. We're always adding new apps. If you have some specific apps that you use, we'd love to hear from you so that we can add them to the list. Also, you may have noticed already, but version 4.0 includes focused web tabs which acts as a browser. If you have any questions about this feature, feel free to reach out.

James
  • Industry: Entertainment

Game Changer

Reviewed on 2019/10/15

Pros

Shift truly is a game-changer. At any given time I've got 3 personal/professional emails, plus show specific emails. Many of them are paid GSuite accounts, but many aren't. The ability to manage several emails and drives without having to sign in/out truly saves hours of time and headaches per project. Being able to add in apps like Dropbox and Spotify is next level. It almost feels like I have a separate, simple operating system.

Cons

Aside from a few glitches that get quickly patched, I have no complaints.

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Stay Organized

Reviewed on 2019/03/07

Pros

Shift is an outstanding tool for busy professionals to stay organized and maintain different accounts within one platform. It supports various email providers, as well as dozens, if not hundreds of applications. The dashboard is easy to use and it lets you pick from a few templates and color schemes.
I used Shift to stay connected to a few email accounts that I use and it helps me centralize everything within one application. Overall, I am happy with its performance.

Cons

The only thing that I do not like as much about Shift is the pricing. Even though they offer a few tiers for its users, I think it is somewhat expensive.

J.D.
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

I use it everyday

Reviewed on 2019/10/22

Pros

- Easily go between different email accounts without frustration, especially if you often go between different google accounts
- Utilizes other accounts like todoist, facebook messenger, evernote, whatsapp, and icloud notes

Cons

- Dashlane still isn't integrated
- Sometimes has difficulty with gmail accounts that require your organizations log-in on your organizations webpage.
- I can only have one shift window open at a time. This limits the ability to use shift to have both your calendar and email open at the same time, other than the limited ability already available in a browser gmail window.
- Shift is, in some ways, a glorified web browser...so in that sense it's probably over priced. If you only use one email account everyday, Shift isn't worth the money.