Shopmonkey Reviews

Shopmonkey

Cloud-based auto repair shop management software

Don

Shop Monkey Review

Reviewed on 2019/10/04

Shop Monkey runs my whole shop on a daily basis, its the first thing I open when my system comes online and the last thing I close when I go home. it manages my employees time, customers, scheduling, parts and my daily workload, not to mention all the financial data you need to run your shop.

When I started with shop monkey I required a software to help guide me in the right direction and have everything needed that maybe I would not have thought of to run and manage my business.
I will admit at the very beginning I found some things missing and with some struggles.
But the support and growth of Shop monkey quickly rose to meet my needs. Shop monkey team worked on every one of my requests and concerns and built it in to the success it is today and at a very quickly pace, working though all my needs.
I am very satisfied in the direction it has and is going. I'm excited to see the next new things that come to production in the software.

Pros

It had a new updated technology look and feel to it, was not the old typical updated Green screen look with some windows added.
Was easy to navigate, and I was looking for a web based software that I did not have to constantly be upgrading software hardware and OS to keep running.

Cons

Was missing some of the deep in depth business functions, that have mostly been added already. it needed more functionality in administration of users functionality and controls. that have also been fixed.
Reporting was missing features and has been much improved.

BAAR and Shop Boss

Reasons for Switching to Shopmonkey

I will give you a quick idea of my background so what I say here has more weight. I left automotive to go into IT and was an IT engineer for 22 years before going back to automotive, so I have a very deep understanding of technology and software and knew what was best for me and my shop. I chose Look and Feel and newer generation of software platform to the others that where old software redesigned to look pretty, but because they are all build on older platform software they will have to rediscover and rebuild to get to the next generation software like shop monkey. I didn't want to have to go through that kind of transition later when the other companies realize they need to catch up and while in the middle of running a busy shop. so I went with one that was already built for the next generation of software.Thank you!
Jonathan

Shopmonkey Embraces Modern Customer Service Standards

Reviewed on 2020/08/14

Love it! Can't stop talking about it. My wife and kids like it because I come home less stressed and exhausted, and earlier in the evening than before. They get to see me more, and have more of me when I am there because my workplace experience is so much better. Thank you Shopmonkey!

Pros

This is a tough one, but probably the feature I like most is the transparent, simple, clean, and professional way Shopmonkey allows you to communicate with your customers. Their system saves us time in communication, which means we can communicate better, more often, and still in less time than traditional ways of picking up a phone. Customers like being kept in the loop more, which means they call in less and feel more cared for. All in all, our customers are thrilled with the new software, and our shop office has never been more calm and available for them.

Cons

It has its fair number of glitches, but even then the development team is on it, and issues I raise flags about get addressed right away. This software is rapidly improving, so this doesn't bother me.

Mobile Manager Pro

Reasons for Choosing Shopmonkey

Because who wants to use a dinosaur when they could use a high-performance supercar. Not even an exaggeration.

Reasons for Switching to Shopmonkey

Because Shopmonkey isn't an add-on and their customer service is A+. When you are using a dinosaur, you don't want to improve your experience by mounting a smaller dinosaur and having the smaller dinosaur ride the bigger older dinosaur.
Amy

Mixed reviews

Reviewed on 2023/06/09

It has really made things easier for our shop. Being able to start quote/estimates and carry them through all the way to the finished invoice is great. I love the appointment reminders and how easy it is to send estimates and invoices as well as get authorization for services.

Pros

Firstly, they have be best customer service. Any time I needed help with anything, they were quick to respond and if they didn't have the answer they got it for me right away. Professional looking invoices that are easy to read for customers. Search functions are great. They let you look up almost anything with a few key strokes.

Cons

The price is the tough to swallow. We are a Canadian company being billed in American dollars. The exchange is killing us and making it even more expensive. The system is still really slow. I know they are working on fixes for it but some days it is so slow we can't use it. Labor rates, procedures and general vehicle information specs and other information isn't as great as they let on. There needs to be an easier function for that.

AMS Protractor

Reasons for Choosing Shopmonkey

Needed more functions that were associated with the automotive industry.

Reasons for Switching to Shopmonkey

Easy of use. Up to date looking interface. Had almost all of the functions we were looking for.
Charles

Great customer service

Reviewed on 2020/06/13

Pros

Customer service, hands down. The software is relatively problem free but should you need help finding a feature or even adding one that wasn't there before this company is super responsive. Quick, accurate responses that save you time and money.

Practical use is good, the ability to add canned services for commonly sold packages is great. They've recently added the ability to move line items between and within services - sounds small but anything that helps provide more clear communication w/customer is great and the SMS feature, with pictures, is great for that.

Cons

Like most automotive packages some tie in's don't work well - carfax (separate product that SM integrates with) has plenty of problems but that's the carfax product not SM. Same with the parts/labor lookup.
Invoicing and reporting are not as feature rich as other platforms. Things like "sales tax" reports should be integrated into any invoicing package but SM does not handle tax well.

Hannah
  • Industry: Automotive

Love, Love, Love Shopmonkey!!!

Reviewed on 2019/11/15

My overall experience has been great! It was totally stress-free switching over from our other software. The support team imported all of our contacts and parts info from the software we'd been using. Shopmonkey is just so easy to learn to use! Everything is so intuitive. If you do have trouble, the support team is literally just a click away and respond super fast! I love being able to offer online payments to my customers as a payment option. I really love being able to communicate with customers through text/email right through the software. Can send an estimate or invoice with the click of a button instead of having to save it as a PDF then opening up my email account and attaching the doc. The workflow feature is so great because it helps us stay organized with our customers! Sticky notes are a thing of the past for me now!

Pros

It is very easy to use! There is little to no learning curve. Very intuitive! Also, has some really great features that I'm loving! Everything works seamlessly! It's a lot of fun to use! Shopmonkey's support team is probably my favorite feature! These guys are phenomenal! No having to call into a tech support line and waiting on hold! Just send a message through Shopmonkey's chat feature and they respond within a minute or two. They've been able to answer my questions every time. They haven't let me down once.

Cons

I can't really think of anything I don't like about Shopmonkey! I'm looking forward the release of the mobile app!

Tinamarie

Super Satisfied

Reviewed on 2019/12/13

I feel so much more organized and that I am communicating with my customer properly.

Pros

Ease of use, I love that it transfers to Quickbooks, I can send estimates and invoices to my customers via email and text, and I like the different views so I can get an overall idea of going on in the shop at anytime. The other thing I love is the pricing matrix...this makes it so easy to charge what I need to without having to do any calculations on each ticket.

Cons

I wouldn't say I don't like anything...but I would like to see this tool allow me to send out emails to all my customers, invites and promotions. I would also like to see an application for the tool so that my guys can time in easier.

Shopware

Reasons for Choosing Shopmonkey

I had to build it myself and it did not do everything I needed

Airtable

Reasons for Switching to Shopmonkey

I like that it is web-based, the look and feel of this product is better and I love the customer service at Shopmonkey -- they always answer my questions right away when I open the chat box. I don't have time to call in an account manager or set up a training - I can learn on my own and got to start using it right away. I
Corey
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

CARS

Reviewed on 2020/12/29

Any time I have had problems with the program, (and other business problems), Shopmonkey has been there to help either online and in many cases over the phone. They are always very helpful and I think they truly see us as a customer rather than just another number. They have done a great job of making us feel like part of their distant family (since they are on the west coast and we are in the mid west). ShopMonkey has earned my business, and as long as I can get through this pandemic and keep my shop open ShopMonkey will continue to be a part of it. Thank you everyone at Shopmonkey, and thanks for recognizing we are people just like you!

Pros

I like the ease of using the electronic repair orders and how it is linked right to my quickbooks and I can transfer the data to quikbooks in 1 simple click. Access to Recall, carfax, repair history, and other info, I don't use the feature at this time but the ability to link with suppliers and do so all through my program.

Cons

I have some trouble finding so things that I don't use alot being a small shop some of the features are a little more than I need, and I think the labor guide times are off a bit as I've compared them several time with another program, overall I plan to keep ShopMonkey as my preffered shop program because for the most part is is very simple and it is almost an all-in-one program

Reasons for Switching to Shopmonkey

Because they offered multiple features in 1 product that simplifies lots of my work. Giving me more time to focus on vehicle repair and less office time.
RYAN
  • Industry: Automotive

Shopmonkey software for wrenching Ryan’s auto repair

Reviewed on 2021/08/07

I definitely highly recommend shop monkey and also recommend pairing it with a system like identifix as well it’s a really good value for what your getting its a better value for larger shops with multiple bays and multiple employees

Pros

The ability to send and get estimates approved by cell phone and email

Cons

The payment system it takes two rolling business days to get payments from shopmonkey to my business account

Identifix and ALLDATA

Reasons for Choosing Shopmonkey

I switch because with shopmonkey I can run the software anywhere I have internet where with Napa you have to use one device that has the software loaded on to it

NAPA TRACS

Reasons for Switching to Shopmonkey

Mostly the convenience of being able to operate the software in the field I’m a mobile automotive shop so that’s very important to me
Frank
  • Industry: Automotive

Shop Monkey is very easy to use in our auto repair shop.

Reviewed on 2020/03/31

We rolled out SM three months ago, moving from paper RO management to no paper. We did this with older non-computer using techs and everything went great. Not looking back at all, we left Aldata Manage. We now can do all shop operations and customer communication with ease. Text approvals and appointment confirmation come rolling in.

Pros

I'v used ADP, R&R, Alldata, Mitchel, and others..........Shop Monkey is the best interface and work flow by far. We love it. Amazing customer support.

Cons

Need a good CRM to manage and reach our customers list.
Need to get the real World Pack order system connected.

Shop Boss

Reasons for Choosing Shopmonkey

We were in the dark ages with customer contact & inter shop communication. Took a long..........time to write and RO, and to invoice and close it. I could write a list of fails on the old system.

Reasons for Switching to Shopmonkey

The interface with the work flow, appointments, ROs, and the invoice process, Digital inspections, Parts ordering in the RO, Customer communication, Ability to move an RO to invoice-appointment-process- and back, with no issues, can't mess up.
Gary

Working with the monkeys

Reviewed on 2021/11/02

copy and paste from 2 above , word to your mother . . . . .

copy and paste from 2 above , word to your mother . . . . .

Pros

The team on the intercom chat

The team has always been MORE than helpful in helping me understand how to operate this system , no matter how big or small of a problem i was having .

These 3 people stuck out to me in a BIG way, i am naming them in chronological order of my Shop monkey encounters

[SENSITIVE CONTENT]

Now i am NOT going to say these 3 people deserve a raise , because that would be insulting to the company and the individuals themselves . These 3 people need to be sitting at a table and making decisions for the sake of the company , as well as the consumer.

I make this decision based on their work ethic , their interaction with their customers, and their overall demeanor. As a small business owner / operator myself, I look for a certain head on a certain set of shoulders. They passed the tests. Do the company a favor and Bring these guys up , have them train the next generation, and set them at the company table with you guys . I would like to go into detail about EACH interaction with you guys. I CAN AND WILL justify every statement made about each interaction.

Cons

In my opinion , a " pay per feature " instead of the bundles packages . . . . . . . .i would buy more features TODAY , but the bundling is WACK

Mitchell RepairCenter and ALLDATA

Reasons for Switching to Shopmonkey

Youtube and face book just kept ranting and raving about them
Gloria

Rating by Gloria

Reviewed on 2023/01/08

Parts ordering, Quick Books(even though we no longer use QuickBooks), cloud option are all pros and I’m overall satisfied with Shopmonkey.

Pros

The ease and the simplicity of the interface.

Cons

I’d like to get the diagrams included in the plan that I have at no extra cost. Also, the credit card rate is a lot higher that the rate that I pay with Elavon Merchant Services. Customers paying via ShopMonkey is a lot more convenient, but the time that it takes to reach my bank is much longer than Elavon.

Reasons for Choosing Shopmonkey

Alldata did not have the cloud option.

Reasons for Switching to Shopmonkey

It was overall easy to use and the customer service is better.
Ashley
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Excellent Software

Reviewed on 2020/05/21

Pros

I really love the way Shopmonkey is easy to use. I have tried many other shop management systems and NONE are as simple as this one. I truly love the carfax integration, it makes life so much easier, and although there are other shop systems that also have this feature, it definitely wasn't as easy to use as Shopmonkey. In fact I had issues trying to access the carfax information in other systems. I also love the payment terminal, its very modern and easy to use. I am beyond pleased with Shopmonkey.

Cons

There is nothing that I really dislike about Shopmonkey. If I must say, one thing that would work well with the software is adding the option to not only add customer information but also company information. Adding a customer or company switch when adding a new customer would work well here. For Example, as a shop manager I work with a lot of other shops and fix some of their vehicles adding them into Shopmonkey can get complicated because they don't go by first or last name which is required to add a new customer.

Alexander

A True Lifesaver

Reviewed on 2021/05/05

There are not enough words to describe what a great purchase it has been. It saved my business and my life.

Pros

Running a small Indy Euro/Performance shop is tough enough and ALLDATA Manage had me oon the brink of suicide because I couldn't effectively run my business.

Cons

I wish it would quote labor times from alldata and be able to order parts from ECSTUNING

Nahim
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Customizable & Great for Customer Communication!

Reviewed on 2021/04/16

Pros

The customization of the system allows us to set it up to work for our own workflow, both for our fulfillment and service team. Work and updates are easily trackable. The system is also great for customer communication which is very important in all industries.

Cons

Some customization requests take longer to happen but at least the Shopmonkey team cares enough to have a feature request page where users can vote.

Victoria
  • Industry: Automotive

The BEST decision our shop has made

Reviewed on 2020/08/26

Pros

I cannot say enough great things about Shopmonkey!! One of the biggest game changers for us (but I didnt think this would be originally) is the chat/messaging feature with customers. Before SM, most of our conversations with customers would be via email. If customers were in a conversation with one staff member, other staff wouldnt be able to be caught up on everything going on if needed. Now, with SM, the conversation sticks to the work order which makes it so much easier for us as a team to figure out the status of the job.

Another game changer is being able to tag items on the work order. You can tag labor or parts items, or tag the entire work order. For example, on labor items, we have tags like "In progress" or "Completed." For parts items, we have tags like "Ordered" or "Installed." On entire work orders, we tag them "Waiting at Shop" or "Dropoff" or "Needs car back by ___"

Accepting payments - this is something we started using heavily when Covid hit.

Other features: cloud-based, customers being able to confirm or cancel appts, customers being able to authorize some work and decline others, easy inspection reports!, canned tasks, amazing integration with Quickbooks Online, looks good and modern.

On top of all this, their customer service is TOP NOTCH. Their chat service is nothing Ive ever seen before and they are on top of it all! You can even request features and they LISTEN!!! That is rare.

Cons

It's not easy to use on mobile. They are coming out with an app but it's more for use by the mechanics. I wish it was easier to use on my phone.

Ana

Amazing product

Reviewed on 2023/06/12

Customer service has been amazing. At first when I was inquiring about the software they answered all of my questions . They were upfront in regards to there diagrams and schematics. Hopefully in the future they will be able to update there program to update the transmission side of the programming.

Pros

I love this product because it works well with quickbooks. Able to set up inventory, vendors, reports etc. Takes sometime in the beginning to get rid of products you do not need but once it is running its good. If you have a automotive shop has everything. Also there stripe payment system for cards is also really good. I see when payment is in transit usually takes 2 business days but am able to have an accurate account of the money also. Extremely User friendly. Time clocks, inspections, able to send info to customer etc.

Cons

The one feature I wish they would or could improve in is the transmission side . Not enough preloaded data or procedure for transmission. Need to pay all data to get schematics on units or procedures. That is the only down fall.

Dimitri

We love Shopmonkey

Reviewed on 2020/12/09

We LOVE it.
Shopmonkey has increased our productivity and organization in the shop.

We LOVE it.
Shopmonkey has increased our productivity and organization in the shop.

Pros

We like the novelty of the software. The software we were using was old-school and not too user friendly.
Shopmonkey is user friendly and anyone can learn it simply by navigating through it and/or watching a few YouTube videos.

We also love that we can send our customers messages when we create their appointments and reminders. We noticed that we have less no shows after using this feature. Our customers love the reminders as well.

Sending the estimates via text message has also increased the authorization rates. Customers can look at the estimate, read our notes and authorize the job with a click of a button.

We also appreciate the customer support which has been a huge asset in learning and navigating the software with ease.

Communicating with customers has become easier with Shopmonkey. We usually get busy toward the end of the day when customers are picking up...while we're busy we can notify customers that their car is ready via text message.

We also love the workflow feature to keep us updated throughout the day and to keep our customers updated as well. The workflow feature has allowed us to stop using the white board. More oganization.

Shopmonkey can be used on any computer and tablet; therefore, we can check the calendar from home if we want to.

Can't forget the calendar feature as well showing us our appointments for the day.

Cons

The mileage being required before printing an invoice. Basically not allowing us to print an invoice if we didn't input the mileage out.
It is a big liability if we forget to enter the mileage out.

DANIEL
  • Industry: Automotive

All Your shop management needs in this amazing , cloud-based software

Reviewed on 2021/07/20

I was impressed at the screen shots of the Graphical User Interface and jumped in the free trial. I am extremely pleased that the actual use of the software beat my expectations in terms of functionality and support. The ability to access all of my shop data from anywhere with an internet connection is awesome. The GUI is not cluttered and easy to navigate while still maintaining a vast amount of available features. The ability to go from start to finish (from appointments to payment collection) in one, easy to use application has saved me from frustration and headache and allows me to convert my time normally spent doing clerical work into shop productivity.
THE TECHNICAL SUPPORT IS OUTSTANDING!!!

Pros

Being able to create CANNED services, and the different ways to keep customers informed via text/email are cruxes for me.
Creating and saving CANNED services saves valuable time, and simplifies creating work orders and estimates/invoices.
One thing I used to hear customers say a lot about shops and companies is, "I would just like a phone call or SOMETHING to keep me informed." ShopMonkey solved that for me.
I LOVE that the software is ACTUALLY as easy as it looks, to use.

Cons

Outside integration of other card readers (such as Square for example) would be greatly appreciated. The upfront cost of having to purchase a card reader and pay a monthly service fee on top for integrated payments is a big turn-off for me when I already have a card reading service. I would consider perhaps a service where the ShopMonkey card reader can be "leased to purchase" with monthly payments. I.e. $35 a month for 12 months for the card reader and service is more manageable, especially for small, brand-new businesses.

Mike
  • Industry: Automotive

Our Jeep & Offroad Shop Loves ShopMonkey & Their Support Team!!

Reviewed on 2021/10/05

We used to spend time doing every invoice by hand. Pre-canned services sped up our operation so we can focus on the customer and not have to do every estimate or invoice, line by line. We probably saved 3-4 hours a day of working in our old system by switching to Shop Monkey. Time is money when you run a fast paced shop like ours.

Pros

We love the responsive design of the application. We can use it from a computer, iPad, iPhone, etc with all the same features. It loads fast and its easy and intuitive to use. The UI is well thought out. The work flow module allows us to quickly see where any Jeep is in the process once it's in our system. Shop Monkey's support team, especially Vashi, is AWESOME! They respond within seconds of us opening a chat window and they are always super helpful!

Cons

I can't really say anything negative other than it doesn't allow you to plug in Paypal as a payment method.

Shaun

20 Years I.T. Developer Now Owner Of Classic Auto Restoration Shop

Reviewed on 2019/06/07

It is great pipeline and project management functions, with all the key functions of business and accounting operations baked in. We can see what projects are in the various pipelines of production, and techs can pick away at the jobs lined up in their queue. With the integration to Intuit, this is a killer software for gearheads who don't want to be sitting in front of a computer doing the mundane and boring side of business. Turn more wrenches... Make loads of $$$

Pros

Fast, Simple, and features business owners, and project managers would kill to have. Nothing out there compares to ShopMonkey. I was on the verge of making my own software for our new Classic Auto Restoration Company, but then found ShopMonkey. It's like they downloaded all of my desired features of shop management software from my brain and built it just for me. Now I can just build badass cars and trucks and let ShopMonkey do the rest!!

Cons

Hard to find as Ashot and his team are constantly one step ahead of what our needs are. Keep up the great work!!

Aaron
  • Industry: Automotive

SHOPMONKEY KEEPS OUR BUISNESS RUNNING!

Reviewed on 2018/10/03

My overall experience with Shopmonkey has been a great pleasure as they make my day and workflow move smoothly and as it should while providing me with more tools then I need.

I look forward to growing my business with the help of such a great software platform to work with!

Pros

It is easy to use, easy to learn, easy to communicate with staff members.
keeps tract of everything needed to keep an automotive repair shop running smooth without valuable information getting missed or forgotten.

Shopmonkey keeps our shop running smoothly and making sure we are making the money we need for our services.

Cons

I cant put my finger on a part of the program i dislike.

there is such good communication in the shopmonkey community as well as direct communication with the development team that if anything does come up where something is proving difficult or just harder then needs be or something could be added to improve work flow, the team is there to listen and make improvements!

It's a community and a supportive one. In the business world, that is something that is hard to find these days.

William

Game Changer

Reviewed on 2023/06/12

Pros

Switching to this system has completely changed how we operate as a team. Making an estimate, sending to client, and collecting funds couldn’t be easier.

Cons

Being able to collect ACH and google calendar integration.

Kristina

Changed our business!!

Reviewed on 2020/03/25

I LOVE the fact that we finally look professional!!! I love hearing the positive feed back from our customers on all levels, from the appointment reminders, to the email final receipts so we are not wasting paper! I love that I have been able to close my waiting room during this COVID -19 pandemic and do all customer contact over the web. I was even able to send a customized message with the message tab letting our customers know how we are conducting business at this time. Just so many cool things I love about this program and so EASY to use!!

Pros

That we can email, text and have customers authorize directly from their phone or email. The layout is so nice and easy to see. Love that I can just type in a style of a car and it shows me all we have worked on, in case I have forgotten a customer name. Just so many great features!!!

Cons

Nothing really, I was running on a hand written system that had the potential of having so many clerical and addition errors with my husband adding things up on his own.

Micah

Mac's Quality Used Tires Shopmonkey Review

Reviewed on 2023/06/19

Shopmonkey has been great for our business once we got it up and going. Has helped us keep track of things a lot better and take our customer information side of things to the next level.

Pros

Shopmonkey helps us keep track of customer orders and information a lot better than how we did things previously. The incorporation of being able to keep track of inventory has been great as well, though the user interface of doing that for used tires is somewhat difficult.

Cons

The onboarding of the program to our business was tedious and somewhat difficult. I would say it had to do more with the way our side of things was structured, but nonetheless took a while to get things to a point of running smoothly

Rebecca

Easy to use/implement

Reviewed on 2020/08/04

So far we are very happy with Shopmonkey, all of our staff has picked it up very quickly - it is a no nonsense approach to inventory, service orders, keeping in contact with customers and building a user-friendly database. Oh and it communicates with QuickBooks, flawlessly....need I say more.... We're in!

Pros

Shopmonkey is very easy to set up/get started. Importing our data was incredibly easy, this software is the most user-friendly point of sale I've worked with!!

Cons

There seems to be a bit of functionality that is missing (i.e processing a return) - however when I reach out to support they respond in real time with solutions and ensure me that the issue at hand will be addressed.