Rain POS

All-In-One Retail POS | Sell Online & In Store Seamlessly

Liz

easy to use

Reviewed on 2021/09/28

It was easy to start using - the help button makes it easy to looking questions up and the tech support is great.

Pros

I like how easy it is to add inventory and update the website as needed

Cons

the sizing and rotating of photos that I take

Kim

Rain Point if Sale has taken our small business to the next level!

Reviewed on 2020/12/17

Rain Point of Sale has allowed us to expand our online sales exponentially, and allowed our inventory to be accurate and dependable. It is a huge reason why our business has flourished in the last two years!

Pros

I am super happy with how my point of sale is integrated with my online sales and inventory. The product is easy for staff to understand and navigate, and errors can be corrected when necessary. The ability to access the software remotely is a huge plus, I can keep track from anywhere, or assist staff with sales or inventory when I am not in the building. The reports are easy to access, and accurate for accounting purposes, and provide us with the tools we need for planning for the future. The customer service is amazing, and I have always been able to solve any problems I’ve had with one phone call!

Cons

We are Canadian site, and the cashing in procedure does not allow us to use our coins, and therefore we don’t use the cash in/cash out component. That is my only complaint!

Holly

Disappointed

Reviewed on 2020/11/17

It was a rough year and a half trying to operate a business with that many mistakes from their side.

Pros

I liked that the website and the inventory were combined. That people could see in real time what we had in stock and purchase online. That was nice and was one of the main features of why we went with Rain originally.

Cons

We spent a lot of time and money on Rain POS. It was the first online computer software company we ever used for point of sale. I spent an entire year in 2017 logging our entire inventory, coming up with pricing and pictures and history on every item. We went live in 2018 and by April 2019 we were done with the contract side and we closed out the point of sale side by the end of that year. Their inconsistences within the contract module were too high. And every time we called in to tech support, all they could tell us what that there was a "glitch" in the system and they couldn't fix it within a timely manner. I really felt like I was losing the trust of my customers because of Rain's mistakes.

AIM

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS

Because of the umbrella effect: It linked our website with our store inventory in real time with our rental contracts. Everything was in one place. Sadly it was too good to be true.

Response from Rain Retail Software

Holly, thank you for taking time to share your experience with our POS software. Here at Rain, our main objective is helping small businesses like yours succeed, so the fact that you found us to be detrimental to your store is disheartening. We've been busy in the 12 months since you cancelled and have greatly improved our rent-to-own module. If you like, please contact us to see those enhancements.

Max
  • Industry: Music

Great for a music shop like us. Room for improvement but they're working on it

Reviewed on 2020/12/07

Anyone who has migrated from one system to another knows how time-intensive and frustrating the whole process can be. RAIN's support team made the onboarding experience as painless as possible. Their support has continued long after the initial onboarding and I feel very confident in their ability to help us whenever we hit a roadblock and need help. It's also encouraging to see their development team constantly fixing bugs and rolling out new features. They are not the kind of company to rest on their laurels.

Pros

RAIN lives in the cloud and being able to access our POS from any device is a huge advantage over the POSs we were using before. The Rent-To-Own module helped simplify a very important part of our business. Integrating with REVERB has helped extend our e-commerce reach across the country. The user interface is clean and user-friendly; just what you'd expect from a modern cloud-based platform.

Cons

The marketing platform did not meet our expectations. The email marketing in particular is not up to what I would consider industry standard in terms of the template builder, contact management, scheduled emails, segmented lists, and analytics. We have since dropped that add-on and went with ActiveCampaign which is light years ahead.

AIM and Lightspeed Retail

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS

The former product was not great.
Kim

User Friendly

Reviewed on 2021/09/13

Pros

Customer support. Software is easy to understand after basic lessons.

Cons

Something that seems would be an easy fix, never gets fixed. Example: Having the capability of being able to put "coming soon" or "pre-order now" on items that can go into our POS system, but because of containers stuck in the LA harbor, we just don't have items. We don't want our customers to think we can never get these items in (especially high ticket items like machines - they will go shop someplace else)

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS

Wanted both stores on the same system.

POSIM
Reeze
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Like-Sew websites have helped me build my online presence and streamline my business.

Reviewed on 2018/05/29

It was easy to use

It was easy to use

Pros

It is easy to use and update, so I can create and modify my own products, and add products from the integrated industry catalogs. It provides me with useful information about my customers and sales transactions, data which really helps me keep and attract new customers. I especially like the batch product update feature so I can change a group of products at a time without having to individually update each product record. I have had good customer service, especially when there was a problem with the software. I have seen my sales grow and my professional online image enhanced. The cost is reasonable for my business so far. The video training is great and absolutely necessary to understand how to use the software efficiently. I also attended training at Fall Quilt Market which was excellent and highly informative.

Cons

I am disappointed that I am unable to integrate my email marketing with the website. In my opinion, The Marketing package is not as useful to online-only stores as it is to POS customers. The newsletter module is clunky and hard to work with. The email feature is useful, but since my email list is on a different service and not integrated, it is not as useful as it could be. It took awhile for my site to get up and running well, and to work out all the bugs. I had to be persistent in following up to get problems fixed and clear in my communication to be sure they understood what I was asking for.

James

Really awesome features with some minor bugs

Reviewed on 2018/07/29

Tech support has helped us so many times. First, they helped us figure out some of the features that we were not completely certain how to use. Then, when we encountered bugs, another quick call to Support and they had us back up and running within no time. I just wish that the program was not dependent on the internet. We’ve had a few times where the internet went out and we were not able to conduct business. This is not good, but it hasn’t happened too often, just enough to be mildly irritating.

Pros

This program is so easy to use, even for those who are not technologically literate. While we do not use all of the features, such as the rental option, we are really happy with the program. The fact that everything is stored in the cloud helps us when we are not in the store, such as with trunk shows. The tech support has been so helpful when we experienced bugs in the software, and they were very knowledgeable of the product. I have also found the SEO option of Rain, and we intend to utilize it to its fullest extent to promote our business and get our name out there.

Cons

There have been a few bugs in the software, but nothing that a quick call to support couldn’t fix. One thing that I did not like was when the internet went out. The fact that everything was based on the internet meant that we couldn’t use the cash register. This led to a loss of sales. Nothing too major, but it’s still significant. There should be a backup or a way to use the register when there is no internet connection. More traditional POS systems allow for use without internet, but for inventory reasons, something like Rain is required. Hopefully, they’ll release a version that stores a temporary backup on your system that updates the inventory once the internet is back up and running.

Lisa

LikeSew works for my retail quilt shop

Reviewed on 2020/12/08

The main reason I implemented the POS option was to help me with inventory control. Prior to using POS I didn't know how much inventory was in stock and therefore I was receiving orders for inventory that I didn't have.

Pros

I think the customer service is very good. Recently I wanted my homepage to be updated and revamped. They worked very quickly and efficiently with me to get give it a new look and within a few days I had a website looks very modern and professional. Also, I really like the marketing package. I used the POS for several years before adding the marketing feature. I like the automatic emails that it sends to my customers every week. Also, My website is easier to use from a cell phone now. It's worth paying the extra money for each month.

Cons

I do not like the way the inventory receiving works. It is supposed to be integrated with some of my vendors but doesn't seem to be complete or accurate. Also, I really wish that the email marketing was easier to use and more robust.

Ande

Our thoughts

Reviewed on 2020/01/22

All sales were handwritten, on invoices and then transcribed to a database/ excel sheet for closing out a month; this has made this so streamlined.

Pros

The program is quite intuitive thus making it relatively easy to use. I like the fact that it is cloud based so we can add another register as needed during very busy times. Also the integration between the website and the POS is great for product inventory. General ease of taking physical inventory.

Cons

There are a number of small glitches - ways to accomplish tasks that are not thought all the way through. I get a listing of UPCs from a vendor with my new order of earrings, many are duplicates that we have had. We upload the entire list, the system is not able to recognize duplicates and combine them just keeps adding the new number making physical inventory a nightmare. Customer name search is an "includes" function instead of a "starts with" so an Andy pulls up Sandy, Candy & every Anderson, i no particular order.

Tim

It works, but is not optimal for a Pet food store

Reviewed on 2021/05/01

No business problems are being solved. it is creating more than it is solving

No business problems are being solved. it is creating more than it is solving

Pros

ease of access. I like being able to use the software anywhere.

Cons

the reporting features are not very helpful. also the bugs and anomalies that we experience on a weekly basis are annoying.

Lightspeed Retail

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS

desire to move to a cloud based platform.

price
Marie

Great product

Reviewed on 2022/02/10

Inventory management

Inventory management

Pros

Built in videos and the ability to view both of my stores inventory

Cons

I’d love if it worked with Comment Sold and Ship Station

Shopify

They closed

Web based
Sissy

Disappointing compared to the hype of what you are getting.

Reviewed on 2019/07/18

We have a hard time getting on the same page. The communication is mostly by email and the timing is hard because we are so far apart. The support people are very kind and try to get things done but the day to day trying to muddle through this change was not worth it, if I could get my money back I would. I am currently paying Lightspeed just not to loose my past sales and lay-a-ways until someone can merge them, this is costly for a small business. I also wish they would talk to whoever answers the phone as I can't just sit on top of the phone all day waiting for a call, this could have been fixed if they would have just talked to the person answering the phone. There are only three people who work here and all three of us are capable of following direction.

Pros

So far the only Pro is that you can pull a some information from Vendors. Being able to have inventory taken out with sales from Reverb is really nice, it was the catch hook that brought me to RAIN.

Cons

The merge is really rough, I did not get all of my customers merged from my previous POS system, my lay-a-ways were lost or messed up, past sales are lost, pictures had to be taken again. All the upc numbers were mismatched with other products. When you try to put pictures of your product for the website, you never know what picture it may choose no matter how many times you choose the correct one. I have had a bass I have tried many times to add a picture and it refused to add it and puts up a picture of a gig bag. I was told if I used Chrome many of the issues would subside, sadly this is not true. If you are starting out fresh, this may be an okay system to use, if you are migrating from another system, I would NOT recommend using RAIN. I really had high hopes but this has been a disaster. Even the work orders, which I thought would be easier, are a huge pain.

Daniel
  • Industry: Music

Great at some things, not great at other things

Reviewed on 2020/12/09

Generally okay. first line support staff is very helpful and relatively easy to reach. Sales staff makes lots of lofty promises that are slow to be fulfilled. Developers are jerks.

Pros

integrated POS and e-commerce website. web based makes it functional on any computer type. RTO module is nice.

Cons

Special Orders/Purchase Orders/Receiving Orders is grossly deficient. Reporting is not great. Prominent bugs in website text in regard to special characters. Lacks flexibility in some of the website design options. No rotation option for product photos. Label printing is terrible. No dimension option for shipping calculations.

Michael

Does what I need and more.

Reviewed on 2020/09/23

Our experience has been excellent. We were up and running the day we opened the doors. This is our first and only experience with POS but I cannot imagine needing anything more. The cloud based system lets me access information from anywhere I have WiFi access. No fear of losing our system due to damage or theft of equipment. Overall I find it very affordable and could not imagine being without Rain POS now.

Pros

The support we received from the rain team in getting started with a POS system. None of my team had any experience with POS and they made the transition easy. We still don’t use all the features available but are adding them to our system gradually. The customer support system is fantastic. The reports available on the system save hundreds of man hours and help us see how our business is doing. The inventory system is a huge help.

Cons

Integration with some Consumer Finance companies would be valuable to retail users. A “Dummy” website that could be used for training new employees would be a big help.

Response from Rain Retail Software

Michael,
Thank you for your feedback, this is very helpful for us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know where we can improve so that we can continue to look into additional options.

Michael

Overall review of Rain POS

Reviewed on 2022/02/09

Overall experience has been 90% positive, & with help from tech support, makes it easy to identify areas we need to improve our knowledge of the system

Pros

Ability to track sales & purchases on a daily basis if needed

Cons

Length of time that it takes to make requested changes in the software

Cindy

Great system!!!

Reviewed on 2022/02/10

I had this when I had my yarn store in Alaska. I moved to Tennessee and opened a new store 2 years later and all they had to do way change my information and I was up and running again, all my inventory was intact and functioning. Totally awesome!!!

Pros

It’s easy to use and the customer service is awesome. You get a live person 24/7. (that speaks and understands English)

Cons

It doesn’t work on my ipad, which is what I use in my store, instead of a full computer system. So I either have to call and ask you guys to fix stuff or wait till I get home on my Mac. (If it can wait, I’ll make notes as to what I need to do then, wait till I get home, but if not, I call you)

Karen

Rain POS

Reviewed on 2021/09/28

It works pretty well for me with some things that I would like to change.

It works pretty well for me with some things that I would like to change.

Pros

We have used Rain POS for many years. I appreciate that I can do so many facets of my business from one platform. POS, online sales, integrated inventory management, emails, and merchant services.

Cons

I would really like to have shipping integrated - when an order is placed, that it would be integrated with a shipping service like Shippo, which is what I use. The automatic emails would be useful if I could choose the products that were shown - like what is on sale. The automatic choices were so ridiculous - something old that was worthless in our system - instead of something we really wanted to promote.

Pam

Excellent value for Service

Reviewed on 2021/04/21

Overall, my experience has been quite positive. In fact I have recommended them to other local business owners. The serves has enhanced my business. My clients give rave reviews on my website!

Pros

The platform Rain provides is user friendly for a Non-tech person as myself. It was fairly straight forward to populate and personalize my website to fit the needs of my business and clients. Customer service has always been responsive and helpful to resolve any difficulties promptly. The value for the cost is excellent.

Cons

Least favorite is the recent difficulties sending a newsletter. My longtime email address was now blocked from sending. I had to purchase a business email and the integration was rather difficult. Without the help of my husband a professional IT person, I could not have completed the changes myself.

Mark

Great user friendly POS

Reviewed on 2017/02/21

We had a nightmare with our old POS system and had to pretty much start all over with Rain. We are a local business but with tons of inventory. Over 5000 different piece of merchandise. So we were not looking forward to adding all those items again. But Rains interface makes it very easy, anyone can do it. The interface is laid out very simply and everything is right there without having to scroll through pages and pages to find an option you want.

Features like repairs and rentals are also a big plus.

Really the only negative thing I can say is the since it's cloud based you better have good internet or you will lose your register if you lose internet. But that's not Rains fault. Just make sure you have a reliable internet connection or a backup 4G method since you can run the POS from any phone or tablet.

We have had the software for a little less than a year and although we are still adding products from our previous software crash with another company, we are enjoying the new fresh look and feature packed software provided by Rain.

Pros

Tons of features and easy to use.

Cons

To print a receipt there are too many steps. Wish it was easier or less time consuming.

Miles
  • Industry: Music

Powerful, complete lifestyle upgrade for our business

Reviewed on 2017/02/15

Going from shopkeep (easy to use, not sophisticated enough for us as a music store) to RAIN was a challenge at first (uploading photos and product data, designing new site content, more product data entry, training staff in new roles) but, now that we are a few months in, we are seeing customers benefit from our work and we know we are going in the right direction.
RAIN is on the way to becoming the One Ring That Rules Them All of software that helps small retailers play on the same field as national chains.

Actual seamless pulling in of repair data to the transaction screen, one product data base for your stores and your website store, actual seamless pulling in of layaway payments and special orders to the transaction screen, easily see who is selling what and where.

Actual real effective help with re-order purchasing has helped us control spending in a very noticeable way. Time is saved because we only have to go through product order line items one time , then when it arrives, ONE click updates the cost for that instance and the count received.

Transfer tracking that takes almost no time to use.

Pros

integration

Cons

still developing some features

Cheryl

Issues

Reviewed on 2021/04/27

Great help and support

Great help and support

Pros

Keeping track of inventory , able to make changes

Cons

Doesn’t always record fabric sales properly

Tawni

Good

Reviewed on 2020/01/21

For the most part, it's pretty good. Hope they continue to develop better reporting capabilities. Some quirks along the way - some get fixed, some they can't explain.

Pros

I like that it integrates inventory between our point of sale and our website. We also like being able to access customers' purchase history.

Cons

Bare bones reporting, i.e. for sales data. Many reports offer zero or very few "drill down" options for specifics.

Karl
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Rain Retail attempts browser-based POS, but it doesn't quite work.

Reviewed on 2020/03/20

I wish I could get some hours back that I spent entering new product variants. Antiquated desktop-based POS systems I've used in the past were far more functional and efficient.

Pros

The layouts were clean and simple. The customer support was generally responsive when we needed their help.

Cons

Adding new product variants was a herculean task. The browser-based architecture was a good idea but lacked the efficiency to make it responsive. Overall it was very laggy on all of our computers, new and old.

Angela

CIOS opinions

Reviewed on 2022/02/09

Pros

inventory tracking is helpful in ordering - Notions is my largest ordering partner and great to bring over products automatically.

Cons

customer service hours - no help at night or on weekends and response has been slow.

Susan

review

Reviewed on 2020/02/08

I no longer complete paper tickets for customer purchases and then need to summarize for taxes.
At...

At the end of a vending sale day, I know how we did with the push of a button.

Pros

end of day Reports and access to information about my inventory

Cons

lack of reports that can help with inventory report submissions to the state