Handy Backup

Leigh F.
Industry: Wholesale

Used Daily for close to 20 years

Reviewed on 2019/03/28

I have used this product since version 1. I own 3 licences for my 3 different computer locations. It has saved my butt more than once. There is a small glitch with version 8 and one drive, but I'm certain it will get fixed.

This is part of my personal "Essentials" software that I keep for new computer set ups, or re-installations.

Pros

I like the ease of use, and the total flexibility. It has kept up nicely with available technology.

Cons

Customer support can be spotty. Re-registering on the same computer after a new version can be a pain.

Response from Novosoft

There is no greater satisfaction for our job than when we find out that our solution can serve the user for so many years! Thank you for being with us, Leigh!

As for technical support, we are trying very hard to ¿keep a hand of the pulse¿, but we recognize that some failures may occur (for example, during changing employees). In case of registration transfer, you can always use the link https://www.handybackup.net/registration-management.shtml, where you can reset the registration without an additional call to technical support.

Thank you again!

Tim C.
Industry: Computer Networking
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Handy Backup user for years

Reviewed on 2019/04/03

Pros

Handy Backup has always served an essential need for me in terms of disaster recovery. While most of my data is stored on Network Attached Storage that is mirrored for redundancy in the event of a disk failure, mirroring does not prevent me from losing a file through inadvertent deletion.

Handy Backup has always been my backup software of choice to make a copy of my critical NAS files to local storage in the event of deletion.

Cons

I would appreciate additional alerting since I never review my log files. I set it and forget it and just assume it's working. It would be nice to receive an alert if a backup failed.

Response from Novosoft

Nice to get a review from you, Tim!

We'll try to implement your comment. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Robert W.
Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Handy Backup 7

Reviewed on 2019/04/10

At present we use serveral Handy Backup 7 around the company. We use these to back up files each night and keep these for three copies.
Sometimes it will copy more that three copies, which is a problem I have, this may be the way I have set them up but I don't know.

Pros

Easy enough t o set up but leaving it to do the same job time after time, I find I could not trust it 100 %

Cons

Sometimes it copies more than set up for and leaving it to do the same job time after time. I could not trust it 100 %

Response from Novosoft

Dear Robert,

Thank you for the review. We're disappointed that you find our product unreliable.

Could you, please, write to the technical support at [email protected]? We'd like to get more information about problems you have to help you sort everything out.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

David D.
Industry: Architecture & Planning

Problem with backup of open files

Reviewed on 2020/06/28

For me, version 5 or earlier, perfection. Anything above this has the same file save issue.

Pros

Using version 5, fully featured, work extremely fast while performing every task that we require

Cons

Later versions will write a zero kb file over top of you last save. Not only does backup fail for that file, you also lose your previosly saved version.

John C.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Like the Product but Support is Lacking

Reviewed on 2020/02/25

Like the software, but wish support was helpful

Pros

Interface, features and functionality.

Cons

I have contacted support for a couple of issues and either have not heard back, or the assistance provided was not helpful. At this point, I am still having problems with backing up to my NAS

Response from Novosoft

Thank you for your feedback! We are constantly working on improving our program and the support team. Unfortunately, no one is protected from the force majeure situations. If you have any problems, please contact us via email: [email protected] On 25th of February we have released a new version of the program - 8.1.2, special attention was paid to the NAS. Thank you in advance!

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Noel G.
Industry: Hospitality

Happy/Sad

Reviewed on 2020/03/02

For local LAV its great, Backup to cloud does not work.

Pros

Ease of use for local LAN only. Software is quick for local LAN backup/restore

Cons

I have been using for over 10 years and purchased the new version to backup to OneDrive. Never was able to make it work and support was unable to as well.

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Todd A.
Industry: Medical Devices

Handy Backup

Reviewed on 2020/03/02

Pros

It is easy to configure and set up a new job.
We use Handy backup daily to backup critical equipment.

Cons

We have not found any Cons with Handy Backup.

Response from Novosoft

Thank you very much for your feedback! We will try to make our product better and better!

Regards, Handy Backup Team

Seth G.
Industry: Medical Practice

Good product

Reviewed on 2020/02/25

Reliable backups of my data

Pros

Easy to set up and use. Easy to verify backups.

Cons

Customer service difficult to contact in person. Emails sometimes delayed.

Response from Novosoft

Thank you for your feedback! I'm glad that we helped you! We are constantly working on improving our team of technical support.

If you have any questions, please contact us via mail: [email protected]

Industry: Management Consulting

Sync

Reviewed on 2019/03/30

As a project manager, I use to work outside of my office and I have to always up to date with all update drownings, documents etc.

Pros

I use the Handy Backup to sync from my PC to my laptop so I am always up to date with all my data, and to an external usb disks as backup of my data. I use Handy Backup as the main backup options beside another cloud backup storage.

Cons

Once you got familiar with it, it is easy to use and reliable

Response from Novosoft

We're pleased to see your review! Have a great experience using Handy Backup!

Zaid Y.
Industry: E-Learning

Good friendly software

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019/04/26

I like it very much and their customer support is really good.

Pros

It's easy to use and friendly. Can backup all my hard drives with single click.

Cons

Its good software, maybe in future revision a mobile app can be added so we can do the update for our systems remotely using or mobile devices.

Response from Novosoft

Thanks for your kinf review, Zaid! It's a pleasure to know you find our software helpful. As for a mobile app - it'd be a really great solution and we definately will think about it.

Tom C.
Industry: Semiconductors
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Using Handy Backup both at home and at work

Reviewed on 2019/03/22

Because I didn't understand the incremental backups with versioning properly, I ended up starting to fill up the 1 TB external drive pretty fast. So I ended up reformatting it (faster than deleting hundreds of thousands of files) and starting over with one of the simpler schemes.

Pros

A simple backup was very easy to set up. I recently bought a 1 TB portable hard drive, so I could back up files from the laptop I use at work and have copies of my daily work that I hadn't checked into a git repo yet.
I like that the files are stored the same as they are on the host computer. I used a backup program in the past that always zipped everything, and it was more difficult to restore files, or even see what your backup looked like. (Handy Backup has the option to zip too, but I won't be using it.)

Cons

The advanced backup types are a little hard to understand (mixed incremental and mixed differential). Some examples of what the backup types end up looking like on your machine would be nice.
Also, I didn't realize that I could only use the software on one machine -- lots of software today allows use on both home and work computers. So I bought one copy, and then found out I had to buy another -- at full price. If it was clearer I needed to buy two copies at the beginning, I could have used the multiple discount.

Response from Novosoft

It is very inspiring for us to read your review! Now we are deveolping some task samples to make advanced setup operations simpler. And regarding a license for a second computer, you may send us an email to [email protected] to ask for a discount for a second copy, citing us the fact that you have already bought Handy Backup earlier. Thank you for your participation!

Ron D.
Industry: Computer Networking

Great product and very cost affective

Reviewed on 2019/03/22

i have used handy backup for many years and now that the newer version support VSS even better :)

Pros

it is very easy to install and configure and good price point

Cons

i really don't have anything bad to say about the product...it is great for the price point

Response from Novosoft

Thanks for your kind review, Ron!
It's a pleasure for us to realize that we have such loyal clients for many years. We do our best for your further great experience in using Handy Backup.

Charles K.
Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Does the job

Reviewed on 2019/03/29

Overall I like it. If I have to setup a similar process on another server, I'd come back and purchase Handy Backup again.

Pros

The software is intuitive. I got the whole process down in about two or three tries. The reason why it didn't work the first two times was because I setup incorrectly and I didn't have enough disk space for a temp file prior to the backup.

Cons

The log could use some improvement. I was getting a lot of errors because of naming convention issues so I was looking at thousands of errors. Maybe somehow categories if it's the same error, then mention how many times it happened.

Response from Novosoft

Thank you for your feedback, Charles! We are glad to be of help to you. We will definitely discuss the issue of simplifying the log with the developers.
If you decide to buy an additional Handy Backup license, you can contact us by email at [email protected] to let us know that this is not your first purchase, so we will definitely give you a discount for a second license.

Eric L.
Industry: Computer & Network Security

A must have tool for techs

Reviewed on 2019/03/23

I use this to make backup copies of pop and IMAP email accounts prior to migrations. I love that I can point it at the server setup a list of users and let it run.

Takes the stress out of migrations knowing I have a local copy of customers emails incase something goes wrong.

Pros

This software makes it so incredibly easy for me to create backups of my users systems and emails before doing a migration. With a couple clicks I can select exactly what I want to back up and set it to run. I love that I don't have to babysit it while it runs.

This was by far the best software I found for making local backups of webmail accounts for my clients before migrating email providers.

Cons

The interface feels a bit dated but nothing you can't use.

Response from Novosoft

Thanks for the summary, Eric! We're glad you find our product simple and effective.

Raleigh J.
Industry: Ranching

Excellent Backup Program

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/03/29

I periodically will go in and create a new backup and that way I can have previous information to go back to when I need it.

Pros

This program is very easy to use and does a clean, excellent job of backing up everything. I like it because I can go into the backup and get the previous version out very easy.

Cons

It does take some room for the backup but I have planned for that so it really isn't a problem.

Response from Novosoft

Dear Raleigh!
Thank you for your personal cooperation! On behalf of the Handy Backup Development Team, we express our sincere appreciation for your feedback.

Erdal O.
Industry: Higher Education

Simple and Effective

Reviewed on 2019/03/25

Pros

Simple tu use. User-friendly interface. Does what it is supposed to da fast and accurately.

Cons

None, so far. I have not encountered any difficulties.

Response from Novosoft

Thanks for your great review, Erdal!

We're happy to know that you find Handy Backup simple and don't encounter any difficulties at all. Keep on getting a great experience!

Jeff I.
Industry: Furniture

Needed an alternative to our VM backup software for our one Standalone box

Reviewed on 2019/04/02

This is a box that we had not been backing up, but recent changes meant it was going to be more active use, and so I quickly had to find a solution I could get in place and could test. Handy seems to be doing a good job, and backups are occurring on schedule, and restore of data has been fine.

Pros

Easy to setup and configure, reporting is easy

Cons

Some of the rules were a little weird, but was able to work it out quickly

Response from Novosoft

Dear Jeff, we are happy to hear from you. Thanks for the review! It's great that you find our product helpful.

Yehia E.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Very good one.

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/02/25

I see that this soft ware achieves my needs

Pros

It is easy to use. It is convenience and ideal for me.

Cons

I don't see any elements could be raised to answer this question.

Response from Novosoft

Thank you very much for your feedback. It's great to be useful to people!

Shawn P.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Reviewed on 2019/04/05

Pros

I love the scheduler back up, kicks in automatically and backs up all my NAS drives

Cons

Email setup at first but once I got it to work it’s been working great

Response from Novosoft

Thanks for your review, Shawn!
We're glad that you've sorted out with Handy Backup and now find it easy-to-use. As for the scheduler, we think it's a great feature for backup software. It's a pleasure you appreciate it, too!

Savvas D.
Industry: Food & Beverages

Solved my sync problems

Reviewed on 2019/04/01

Pros

I am using ipcameras for my summer house.
Handy Backup solved my problem syncing cameras data on cloud (dropbox,gdrive) so i dont worry loosing data

Cons

Running as service and very easy setup..

Response from Novosoft

We are glad to see your review, Savvas! It is nice to be helpful for you!

Matt B.
Industry: Internet
Company size: Self Employed

Ideal for backing up IMAP email accounts

Used Monthly for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2019/04/02

Handy Backup allows me to backup the IMAP email accounts associated with my webhosting to safe guard against loss of email messages in the event of a failure at my hosting provider (which has happened in the past!)

Pros

This is the only low cost program that I have found for backing up multiple IMAP email accounts. It does that job well by creating incremental backups and even allows compression and encryption of the output.
The standard version of the software is great value for money and is easy to set up. It also supports a number of cloud services.

Cons

My only minor criticism would be that the interface for version 7 looks a little dated but this seems to have been addresses in version 8 which looks very modern.

Response from Novosoft

Thanks, Matt!
We're glad you find Handy Backup effective for your business. You're right - the interface looked a little old-fashioned, but in version 8 we enhanced it, and now it looks better. Enjoy your work!

Stephen M.
Industry: Internet

Personal use

Reviewed on 2019/03/22

Pros

I like the fact that it does mirror backups instead of image, because I want the ability to restore individual files at time instead of a complete restore.

Cons

Can't think of anything. I like all the features and install and usage is intuitive.

Response from Novosoft

Thanks for your review, Stephen! The native-format recovery is the one of key features for Handy Backup, and it is wonderful to hear that you find this function useful!

Edwin T.
Industry: Accounting

too complicated

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2019/03/29

Not good. Dealing with an intermediary who keeps "passing the buck!"

Pros

Nothing.

Cons

I stopped using software and Handy Backup has refused my request for a refund. The product was never used yet still no refund.

Response from Novosoft

Dear Edwin! We are very sorry for this situation. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Each client has the right to independently request a refund in our payment system for 30 days. Then the refund will be made automatically. I already initiated a refund of your payment, so please check the receipt of funds in your account.

If you still have any questions, please contact my personal email.

Best regards, Nataila Sigaeva

Bruce P.
Industry: Graphic Design

Worst Backup Software

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2020/03/05

Very bad experience. I simply gave up and bought Acronis.

Pros

Nothing. It simply did not do a backup properly and would not do an incremental backup.

Cons

It simply did not work properly. It did not backup as it should

Response from Novosoft

Good afternoon, Bruce! It is a pity that you had such experience. To be honest, we are very surprised. Please contact us at [email protected] so that we can help you and ourselves to solve this problem.

Regards, Handy Backup Team