MindMeister

Cloud-based mind mapping tool for organizations of all sizes

4,8
4,5
4,6
4,7
4,5
Fraser N.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

Still the gold standard of mind map software

Reviewed on 2020/01/10

Great piece of kit - helps me layout my plans in simple yet powerful graphical formats

Pros

It is so easy to use and gets great results every time

Cons

The output is limited even on the paid version so I need to pay extra for e.g. PPT output

Company size: Self Employed

A complete mindmapping solution for all of us who prefer visual organization of information

Reviewed on 2019/10/01

As a predominantly visual person I need to see "the whole picture" when designing a new project and I do a lot of mindmapping on almost daily basis. I have the master mindmap with the key projects I am working on that branch out to smaller activities, tasks and deliverables and most of my notes related to the development are within the mindmap. As MindMeister offers a good number of icons to tag the individual branches I could clearly keep track of whole scope of the project and use the same space to add any ideas/notes I might have at the moment. Since you can easily collapse all the branches you are not using at the moment it really gives clarity and at the same time it helps me not to lose track of some processes or smaller deliverables that I could easily overlook in the task manager software I use. It also offers the integration with Meister Task so you can easily turn any branch into a task with deadlines and all. For me personally, the best use of mind maps is for brainstorming and planning stages of a project and I usually start by creating a map myself, adding ideas, processes and deliverables into it, and then sharing it with my colleagues at a meeting, which is usually followed by our joint work on the same map if the idea is chosen for the development. The app itself allows for all these, it has good visual interface, so after finding it and using it for a month I did not search for any other alternatives anymore.

Pros

As I use mind maps a lot I love to be able to have them available everywhere I go and to share them with my colleagues so we can work together on the same mind map. It offers everything mindmapping software should offer and it does it online (or through mobile app) so the only thing I need is the internet connection. The maps look very nice, there is a good number of templates and options (both map structures and design templates) so if you need a good mindmapping software I that is platform independent I could really recommend this one as I tried a couple of others before finding it. When you share the mind map with colleagues things get really great, especially during the ideation and planning stage of a project as everyone can add branches, expand on ideas which really helps make meetings more effective later.

Cons

This app also has the presentation mode that I have not found so useful. I see how it might be great to be able to present your mindmap to others instead of boring them with a slideshow, but I did not use it, so this would be the only thing that I am not really 'digging 100%. In essence, there is nothing bad about the app that I would highlight as it does its core function (mindmapping) really well. Of course, the free version has some limitations in terms of number of maps you can make and the export formats, but even the basic version can be enough for most users' needs.

Matthias B.

Beautiful but severe issues

Reviewed on 2019/07/05

I had to leave this software behind with my whole company after putting many hours in implementation because of 2 major bugs that were not even recognized or understood by the support team. One was a severe issue with privacy changes which is a disaster for sensitive content, the other a problem with their handling of free accounts when people just want to browse your public mindmaps. Very sad, since it is otherwise beautiful and has promising features - but for pro users who need stuff to really work it can be a huge waste of time. Disappointing the total lack of comprehension by the support staff.

Pros

Beautiful Design
amazing search
linking to points in different maps possible (the only one I know who can do that)

Cons

Huge banner to sign up on (paid) public maps that occupies too much space
Sorting and organizing maps quite confusing
severe issue with privacy changes which is a disaster for sensitive content
handling of free accounts when people just want to browse your public mindmaps
impossible to set privacy for several maps (or a folder) at once

Likelihood to recommend: 0.0/10

Christina L.
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Great Curriculum and NGSS Tool

Reviewed on 2020/09/07

Reworking curricula and developing y ideas was a lot easier when I didn't first have to spend two days learning how to use the software. At school right now we are being forced to use platforms the district already bought and they are clunky and do not have comparable features. It's taking me weeks to learn and wasting the time I need to plan out the actual lessons and develop materials.

Pros

I already love concept mapping and I was looking for a computer tool that was reasonable and easy to use to help me conceptualize organizing my curriculum, particularly to start to adapt to NYS adopting the NGSS and to make the content more engaging now that we are educating online because of COVID. This was so easy to learn to use, and the help and opening tutorial were super straightforward. Will probably end up paying fro this for sometime to see more features and continue to use it as a planning tool and to generate study guide for students.

Cons

Not sure if I can change to a different type of map when I've already started the map and Don't want to begin again from scratch, figuring it out.

Quai F.
Industry: Entertainment

Mindmeister - Useful for Many Purposes

Reviewed on 2020/01/21

Mindmeister has been really helpful with story and song planning, mapping out the recording process, keeping track of characters, locations, objects, and their relationships. It's been a lovely experience.

Pros

I'm a visual thinker, creator, and planner. As such Mindmeister is extremely useful in realizing visual imagery and information, pretty much effortlessly. It comes with lots of templates to get you started if you find them more convenient. But it's also really easy to get a mind map started from a blank canvass. After you begin building the map, it is easy to apply global styles or to style individual elements.

Another great feature is the ability to take a portion of a map and create a new map out of it, optionally leaving a link in the originating map. Highly convenient.

Cons

There aren't many cons. I wish it were easier to capture ideas quickly for working with later using the mobile app. Also on my wish list would be a way to text search for icons.

Briana H.
Industry: Writing & Editing

The Best Mind Cartographer

Used Monthly for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2020/03/22

I do believe after trying many different programs that Mindmeister is the easiest to use and the best looking. It has everything I want in mapping software. It makes a big difference when you are trying to brainstorm. it is simply the best all-around.

Pros

I really enjoy the user interface the most. It is easy to use and attractive to the eye. It takes no time at all to make a fun and practical map for my writing.

Cons

I wish I could buy the software or membership for a one time fee. I use the software randomly for personal reasons than anything so a monthly fee isn't cost-effective for me. But wish I could use the full features whenever I decide to log on.

Industry: Computer Software

Best tool for begin of everywhere!

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2020/04/08

Pros

Think widely, Sum in one mind-page.
Then we can have a few gaps in our team.
So easy to gathering think parts of teammates.

Cons

I think it will be more powerful to have functions that suggest or reply an element (like Google Docs, Sheets, Slides).

Jerry J.
Industry: Architecture & Planning

Simply awesome

Used Weekly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2020/06/02

I feel free. I was looking for a way to organize my ideas and put them into scope. This software gave me that.

Pros

The way you can organize you ideas is outstanding

Cons

Can't say anything bad, this is too good

Parishka P.
Industry: Design

So satisfying!

Used Weekly for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2020/08/01

Pros

As an individual obsessed with growth and results, Mindmeister has helped me immediately declutter ideas. All the advantages and freedom of traditional brainstorming, with the digital advantages of an unlimited canvas and redos. Great UI, and reliable response time. Still an early user so have not yet used the software to its full capacity, but can already see its value.

Cons

The user experience on touchscreen devices is a bit iffy. Great to use on desktop, but a bit tricky to navigate and edit on mobile. This may require a different interface entirely? Perhaps workflow is best optimised to use Mindmeister on desktop and MeisterTasks on mobile, but there is a great opportunity to explore for tablet and iPad users.

Judi S.
Industry: Consumer Electronics

Getting going fast

Reviewed on 2020/08/15

Easy to use and adopt.

Pros

We are building a business and need to collaborate virtually. Having a web based tool is perfect.

Cons

I've had no challenges, so I cannot say what I like least.

Paul S.
Industry: Consumer Electronics

Mindmeister - Is it the best mind mapping software for you?

Reviewed on 2020/03/12

Mind maps are a unique tool if you primarily use a computer as a brain amplifier.

The ability to list complex topics and show their relationship graphically can be done with other drawing or flow chart apps. But the true power of mind mapping is the ability to expand and collapse the data with a single click, allowing you to focus on just the set you want to see. You need specialized software to do this.

I recommend Mindmeister to anyone looking for an affordable, accessible and easy-to-use tool to "map out" your ideas. There is just about no better way to do this, no matter how simple or complex your project is.

Pros

The Mindmeister SaaS model is reliable, accessible and scalable. I have used it to create a simple list to massive data structures to map out complex products with hundreds of nested topics. It always works.

At first, I thought it was lacking features. However, upon continued use now over many years, I can see the logic behind keeping it simple and now enjoy the simplicity of the interface so I can concentrate on creating content rather than fiddling around with unnecessary options.

Actually, I have found just about everything I need for highly detailed maps. Images can be copied and pasted, then scaled within topics. Notes are simple but can be styled with just the right text options and images can be added if necessary.

Most of all, I love the option to revert back to any version in time which recently saved my life when I accidentally deleted a massive amount of data from a map that I have been working on for 6 months. This map has over 2100 versions and I was able to completely restore the lost data from weeks before.

Cons

I wish the topic Notes could be resized as they are fixed at a size that cuts off some information. You can scroll to see more but sometimes defeats the purpose.

Of course, the UI could be full of options for this or that but as stated above, I have come to appreciate the elegance of Mindmeister's feature set that is "just right" to get the job done.

Dimitri R.
Industry: Computer Software
Company size: Self Employed

Turn ideas into action! Connect mind maps with task management

Reviewed on 2019/09/21

It leaves only one question open: How can anybody work efficiently without these two fantastic applications??

Pros

Think about it: For the first time ever, Mindmapping and Task Management are perfectly connected with each other! And both applications are uniting simplicity and efficiency in such a great way that you really want to work with them every day. No matter, whether you do brainstorming in a meeting, or need to sort your thoughts for to launch a new product, starting a new marketing campaign, ordering your competitive data or just simply make notes about a class you are intending, there is only one perfect tool you can easily use for everything: MindMeister.
MindMeister is not only a stoning beautiful and absolutely intuitive application, but it super effective and supporting your efficienc by directly creating tasks and assigning them to individual persons.
In case somebody missed the meeting, or you need to replay how the mindmap got built, simply click on the replay button and it gets constructed again right in front of your eyes.
Generate impressive powerpoint presentations with a click of a mouse button or manually in just seconds.
Collaborate interactive online on the same maps in real-time. Build knowledge bases by connecting mindmaps with each other.
You will never forget anything anymore because you will find any information easily again in one of your mindmaps.
On top of everyhting, MindMeister has a number of templates integrated for the majority of your needs, like SWOT analysis, decision matrix, homework planning, exam preparation, lesson and many more.

Cons

Nothing. MindMeister in combination with MeisterTask is the only right tools you will ever need for an efficient task and project management.

Colin M.
Industry: Computer Networking

MindMeister - Easy to use, powerful and flexible Mind Mapping software

Reviewed on 2019/01/15

If you use Mind Mapping (and you should), Mindmeister is a great tool. Users are productive from day one; additional features to embellish maps can be used after the mapping exercise to create a passable presentation. As it is a SaaS product, easy to have several people contributing to a map. Highly recommended.

Pros

Very easy to use - the tool doesn't get in the way of the process; critical for mind mapping
Reorganise and rearrange maps easily - even create submaps with links back to parent
Good integrations - e.g. Microsoft Teams
Can publish maps to public library, embed on website or share as editable or view only

Cons

Few complaints; resizing images could be easier (tough to grab the corner!); the interface could be prettier, but I'd sooner have functionality than pretty.
Printing large maps on a single sheet or PDF is trickier than it needs to be.
Sharing process could be simpler.

Ellen M.

Great Educational Tool

Reviewed on 2020/02/03

I often colloborate with university colleagues to write grants. We have used the program to model teaching and learning frameworks and to delegate project tasks. It is easy to use and the export features allow us to incorporate graphics into proposals.

Pros

What I love most about Mindmeister is the ability to collaborate with others on maps. I use it with colleagues to model, plan, and brainstorm. I also use it with my college students, who are pre-service teachers. When I assign a collaborative brainstorming activity, I can view the timeline to see when students contributed to the map. (This feature also allows you to revert to an earlier version of the map.) There are a multitude of educational uses of Mindmeister -- lesson planning, summarizing ideas, examining cause and effect, analyzing literature, detailing the steps in a process, and vocabulary study -- to name a few! Mindmeister has become an essential tool for teaching and learning.

Cons

My students sometimes have problems retireving maps - especially if they have started a map and only worked on it for a few minutes.

Industry: Airlines/Aviation

MindMeister is Awesome

Reviewed on 2020/01/20

Pros

Its really easy to use.. very intuivtive, and it has integrations with anything you want.

it has been a ride in the park since we as a team started using this software in conjunction with MeisterTask.
everything we plan, gets disaggregated into steps for everyone in the team.. even when things are not getting done as expected, its easy to pinpoint the problems, or hav the rest of the team either doing something else while the delay gets solved, or puting time to help it get done. honestly.. i dont think i will ever do anything else without first puting it down on a Mind map like this. IT IS AWESOME

Cons

i dont know if it woud be fair to say there's something i dont like about mindmeister... there is nothing that i dislike so far.

Angelo A.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Great and cheap ;)

Reviewed on 2020/01/22

Awesome! I've been using MindMeister for a long time and I can say that I have a life of study there. It is incredible how I can remember something I read two years ago really fast.

Pros

The facility in building mind maps that are beautiful and organized the way you want would be enough for me. But the tool for researching words on the maps are FANTASTIC. I can research a word through all maps or in an especific one. This really allows me to be faster at my work.

Cons

Although the price is affordable, I think the difference between annual and mothly plans should be more representative. I'd like to have an annual plan but, living in Brazil where dollar goes up and down, I can't know when it will really worth it.

Rob M.
Industry: Chemicals

Great for small business

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

I use this to be able to create very nonlinear "big picture" summaries, and then I create other functional maps and tasks when its time to drill down into the details. I like how its very nonlinear and very fluid. Its easy to move things around and edit them. I first used MindMeister back in 2007. Its still a great product.

Pros

I like mind mapping and I like the design, form and feel to MindMeister. Its great that it now has task list functionality as well. Its fast and easy.

Cons

It could use a Gantt chart, as that's the only thing other people in my company need/want.

Raghunandan J.
Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Awesome tool

Reviewed on 2020/01/15

It's been a great tool
I own licence for xmind as well as mindmiester
Xmind is more powerful
But the abilities ond an online mind mapping tool are much better for xolloboration

Pros

The ease of use
Brainstorming
Presentation

Cons

Rigidity ... It doesn't allow branches to be a different place unaligned

Maggie L.
Company size: Self Employed

Finally: A digital, visual, FUN way to effectively organize and boost productivity

Reviewed on 2020/02/21

I'm a visual learner with lots of ideas, to-dos, distractions, and good intentions. On my own, I've tried writing lists, making my own digital map, using phone productivity apps, using tons of post-it notes, etc. to organize my jobs, projects, and seemingly endless daily tasks. I slowly admitted my own frustrations with not being able to effectively organize what I needed to do. Using MindMeister is the first time I actually see all of what I need to do in front of me, and it's color coded, neat, effective, and it oddly inspires me to work more. I'm a big fan of the templates and customization options. I use the Eisenhower Matrix template and I'm pleasantly surprised that it's actually improving my time management issues.

Pros

Free "Basic" plan is great for what I need now; Educator discount is available for if/when I choose to upgrade; free themes with many options for customization (I love color-coding); ability to merge MindMeister with MeisterTasks; Templates with tips on how to use them; Image generator based on Map title; Very user-friendly

Cons

The "Use" and "Preview" Template buttons are a little too close together. More than 3 font sizes would be nice.

Banu H.

Master of the Mind

Reviewed on 2020/03/11

Great help. At the time of my total confusion, it gave me a great hand to organize me and save time and energy.

Pros

It helped me organize everything, my work, my class, my presentation, events, and it is very practical, easy to use (user friendly)

Cons

I would like to download word format in personal version once or twice so that I can be sure to upgrade or not.

Janet S.

Helps me be creative

Reviewed on 2020/01/14

I design my own courses, and I use Mindmeister to help me outline and think through my course organization. At first I was not sure that it was worth the money. Because it was almost time for renewal, I decided to begin a new project and outline it by hand.

WIthin a day I realized that Mindmeister was definitely something that helped a lot. Not only can I move ideas around very easily, but I can also see my projects differently simply due to the ability to color similar ideas with the same color, and connect them to each other. Being able to move a chain of ideas without having to erase and start over was huge too. I realized that Mindmeister had been making a huge difference.

Pros

I like the visual aspect of creating an organized plan.

Cons

I would liked to have an actual list of different short tutorials.

Akina M.

Good software for diagrams and presentations

Reviewed on 2018/02/19

Pros

The first thing that attracts in this program is the speed of the interface. Well thought out the design side: the final projects are stylish and concise. The application allows you to work with different formats, so it's quite universal.

Cons

Some features of the program are available exclusively in the paid version, which greatly limits the work. Because there is no possibility of selection and copying, it is impossible to make quick changes.

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Excellent, but....

Reviewed on 2020/06/12

I love to use it, it changed the way I organize my life and it made me 10 times more efficient.

Pros

The software and its mobile it are great. Features are good and works smoothly. But... the price is outrageous. It's impossible to keep paying the entire life for a program like this. You guys should offer one time buy plan, that would unlimited use of it. I would totally buy it even if its a little expensive, because its the best of its kind. But I cannot afford to pay for it every year of my life time. No way.

Cons

Need to have a one time buy plan. No way to keep paying every year for this kind of product.

Jorden B.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Probably The Best Online Mind Mapping Software For The Price

Reviewed on 2018/12/31

I have used MindMeister for both person and business. I was able to layout various course or programs for clients. I used to layout business processes. There are so many things you could use this for. I have over 100 different mindmaps!

It's also great for just braindumping ideas or brainstoming with other people using the collaborate feature.

Pros

Mindmeister is very easy and intuitive to use. You have the ability to use various types of mapping layout including free form. I love that I can create presentaions and even export my mind maps into various forms

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say. Using the desktop is much easier than the mobile version but it still works well.

Kimber S.
Industry: Writing & Editing
Company size: Self Employed

Intuitive, pleasing to use, and has all organizational features you could ever need.

Reviewed on 2020/02/28

Pros

What I like the most about mindmeister is the ability to organize and customize how I organize on a very pleasing to look at platform. Everything is very seamless, easy to use, and even fun to use.

Cons

I wish I could get rid of the advertising on my screen to upgrade to premium, I wish mindmeister was more user friendly for free users who aren't apart of a big company or anything, and I wish they had a desktop app.