Bitly

4,8 (832)
Link management software for managing marketing campaigns

Daniel K.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Perfect tool for link shortening and tracking.

Reviewed on 2022/01/06

Bitly makes link shortening and management very fast and easy as it enables my team to share important and tidy links among ourselves at work. It also comes as a great help for my affiliate marketing business as I am able to share referral links and track them at thesame time.

Pros

Not only is bitly great for shortening links it also provides the additional feature of tracking the number of clicks the link generates. At work bitly is used among my team to shorten and share links pertaining to work among ourselves. This is great as undesirably long links are shortened to give them a neat nature. Personally as an affiliate marketer on the side I use bitly to refer products to people and track the number of clicks I get from my referrals.

Cons

The free version of bitly has very minimal features as compared to the paid versions. As a result if you want extra features like branded links, bulk link shortening and advanced analytics you would need to get the paid the versions.

Michael M.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Been using Bitly for years for a reason

Reviewed on 2022/01/08

Overall, the analytics are wonderful with bitly and have been a great commodity to me with clients. The only downside is that some of the links you really want may be taken since it's such a popular program. But that may be where the paid version of Bitly may come in handy.

Pros

I began using Bitly roughly 6-7 years ago to help me with my social media management. It was at a time where link shorteners were only known by a select few, so Bitly gave me a cutting edge. Well, all of these years later and I still use it because the analytics are so much better and the link shortener allows me to easily capitalize every first word in the shortlink i.e.: Bitly://ILoveBrownies versus bitly://ilovebrownies. I know the caps may not seem like a big deal, but I have another link shortener I pay for that just will not do this...and I notice the difference in my CTR with the caps versus the all lowercase letters.

Also as I mentioned, I'm using the free version of Bitly, yet it's superior in analytics to the link shortener that I paid for. It's really helped me with backing up data and metrics with my clients.

Cons

Since so many people use bitly versus other competitors, some of the custom links you want may already be taken.

Gaurav G.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Intuitive URL Shortening Tool with Analytics

Reviewed on 2020/06/20

I use Bitly software to solve the business problem of shortening the product or category landing page links, tracking their clicks and eventually, use those insights to optimize customer experience and drive higher sales by reducing user experience or content issues. For example: if a customer engages with our voice assistant tool to shop and is not able to find a product on our website, we want to help that customer using an auto generated link to that product and track if clicking that link made that customer more satisfied. So, benefit of Bitly is it improves customer engagement through shortened landing page links and allows us to track their experience on our site. Hence, helping us improve ROI of our online business.

Pros

I use Bitly software to shorten product and category links which have Google Analytics tracking tags appended to them. So, when the marketing team includes those links in chatbot, customers see a shortened version of the links with the tags hidden. This strategy ensures links are user friendly. And at the same time, enabled for tracking so I can report on which link drove the most clicks as well as who those engaged customers were. Ultimately, using Bitly allows my marketing team to improve customer engagement and retarget those customers to drive higher conversions - a simple recipe for success. I also use Bitly analytics if for some reason Google Analytics UTM tags don't work. So, a nice backup plan.

Cons

Couple of Bitly features are needing improvement. First, the ability to customize the landing page website link I am trying to shorten and include in chatbot. So, instead of showing a random string of characters in the shortened link, I would like to show a name of the page title clarifying what product or category that page is about. I feel this feature would drive higher click-through rate from customers who see that custom link. Secondly, the ability to integrate Bitly click analytics with UTM session activity and customer id. So, I can see an end-to-end experience of customers from link click to landing to buying a product or researching it. These holistic insights would help my marketing team to improve design and content.

Tina S.
  • Industry: Publishing

Very useful link shortener

Reviewed on 2021/10/29

I use Bitly both to shorten links and to keep track of the clicks I get. It's an awesome tool. I'm really glad it exists.

Pros

It's super easy to sign up for a free account and start making your long links short. It's also awesome that you can customize the back half of the link so that people have an idea where your short link will lead them to.

It's also awesome that it keeps track of the number of clicks your links had, and it also shows from what country the clicks were from.

The paid version offers plenty of good features like customizing the first half of the short link or changing the landing page for certain links.

Cons

The customization of the back half of the link is case-sensitive, so if you make a link with a capital letter and then you share with people, say, offline, on printed promotional material, then some people who don't enter the link with the capital letter will not land on your desired landing page. But it's not a big deal. The solution is easy if you keep the links lower case.

The number of clicks doesn't show how many clicks were made by the same person.

I also wish they had some features that were available as a one-time payment not recurring monthly.

Fabrice I.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

One of the best url shortener

Reviewed on 2022/01/17

I use this application for click analysis but also the creation of QR code. This application allows a quick start thanks to its simplicity, its use allowed me to save time which is not negligible because this application although it is not automated in all its functionalities allows me this saving of time thanks to its statistics.

Pros

Bitly is an excellent url shortener, at the beginning it was very limited but since then we can customize its links. The click analysis on the short link generated is well done and this is very practical for communication campaigns on various networks.
Bitly is a staple these days.

Cons

The free version is sorely lacking in features. And the paid version offers a lot of features but the cost is expensive.

• Industry: Insurance

My go to link shortening and analytics service

Reviewed on 2021/12/09

Pros

It lets me quickly share links that are accessible to clients, regardless of platform. In addition, I have the ability to leverage analytics to monitor engagement and facilitate more meaningful interactions.

Cons

Honestly, nothing. There are a ton of alternatives in this space, but Bitly was my first and I've never found a compelling reason to try any of the others.

Arie R.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Bilty..Simply..

Reviewed on 2021/12/03

Pros

I love Bitly..it helped me to connected my business to our customers with ease..

Cons

No, I don't have. So far so good. Keep up the good work..

Prince J.

Best URL Shortener for long and complex URLs/links.

Reviewed on 2021/12/07

I have being using Bitly several times both individually and at work to shorten URLs of hosted project files.

Pros

It is very easy to use and provides easy reporting tools to track URL statistics. By using Bitly, you have the choice of easy customization of your URL links.

Cons

There's hardly anything I like dislike about this service but I suppose they can improve on providing more reporting information on links.

Rainbow G.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Great application

Reviewed on 2022/01/13

Like I said previously, it's a great application if you want to make your extra-long link shorter, and you can choose whatever name you want it to end with and it gives you the opportunity to know on what link your clients clicked on, because you can personalize it. I recommend it 100%

Pros

Very useful for people who need to shorten those long, never ending links. I use the free version and I find it amazing because they even give you the option to add your own link ending. For example: bitly.gofishingnow something like that.

Cons

I wish that the free version would allow us to change the name of the long link for something personal without using the word "Bitly" in front of it, but I know they have to make money somewhere.

Andres I.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

An excellent tool that supports the presentation and structure of documents.

Reviewed on 2022/01/09

It is good, easy to use and free, nothing to criticize.

Pros

Bitly is a high-quality, free and easy-to-use tool.
Although it is a simple function, to shorten URL's, it is of great help so that the sources of consultation of a work are organized, avoiding long links.

Cons

The only disadvantage is that there are services that already include the option of a short URL, on those sites Bitly becomes unnecessary.

• Industry: Package/Freight Delivery

Bitly is the simple go-to for all your link-related needs

Reviewed on 2021/06/09

Besides working in the package/shipping industry from home, in my spare time, I do a lot of art and photography projects, with many other things in between. I love how I can use Bitly to shorten any link I need to use with the ease of just a couple of clicks. Bitly's simple, user-friendly software makes sharing things that are important to me, as well as profiting from links the easiest task of my day. They provide relevant, real-time analytics, enabling me to get the best statistics quickly and adapt accordingly.
If you don't have a lot of time, or you consider yourself somewhat new to using software related to everything about links, I would definitely recommend trying Bitly's free plan to see how it can work for you.

Pros

What I enjoy the most about Bitly, is their pricing options. Bitly has subscription options available to meet anybody's needs. They have a variety of tools that come with each of their plans to help you succeed no matter what your needs are. With everything from a FREE subscription to a Basic plan, a Premium plan, or their conveniently customizable Enterprise plan, Bitly makes sure there are enough options available for everyone.

Cons

I was not too fond of the jump between their Basic plan and their Premium plan. The Basic plan they offer costs an affordable $29/month, securing a handful of great features. Then the price for a Premium plan jumps all the way up to $199/month! That is a huge spike in my opinion. You do get everything the Basic plan offers, plus advanced analytics, campaigns, UTM builder, mobile deep links, and the ability to integrate with 1k+ apps. Yes, this is a lot of great features. However, for the monthly price, the user must make sure that they're able to make a consistent and significant profit utilizing these tools.

Christos T.

More than a url shortener

Reviewed on 2019/08/22

The most intuitive URL shortener with deep analytics. A must have for anyone that manages social media accounts.

Pros

We've been using bit.ly since the very first days, when it was just a URL shortener. Since then we've been happy to see it add more features such as deep analytics. We've been using the FREE version for all our clients' social media accounts for the last 4 years.

Cons

The paid versions are a bit expensive. Also, sometimes it can get a bit irritating when the custom URL you want to use has already been taken. You cannot hold on to URLs for later use.

Ralph E.

Probably the Most Popular URL Shortener

Reviewed on 2021/04/26

My experience with Bitly has been very positive and pleasant so far. I would definitely recommend Bitly.

Pros

The most useful feature that I love about Bitly is that you customize the back half of the shortened URL even if you are using the free version of Bitly.

The mobile app of Bitly is very easy to use too and very convenient to create links on the go. That is one cool thing about Bitly that a lot of these URL shorteners lack; URL shorteners hardly have dedicated mobile apps as Bitly does.

Managing links on Bitly and filtering is very intuitive and makes sorting and navigating links really flexible. Bitly has a premium version to use custom domains for branding purposes, and redirection on Bitly's side is quite fast for the shortened links.

The tracking and analytics feature is pretty solid and I always make use of it too.

Cons

I would love a feature that actually allows you to delete links that you no longer need, but I just can't seem to find that. You can only archive and hide links from the dashboard.

Oscar R.

They need a intermediate plan!

Reviewed on 2021/08/07

In the Free and Basic Bitly outstands every alternative, but the Premium Plan is just to High.

Pros

Bitly is a useful tool. It shortens your own url, but also help you shorten any other url. If you don't have any place to host a database, bitly can do it for you.
Also they give you from basic to advanced analytics, that help you track your own links, this is great for many purposes.

Cons

It needs definitely an intermediate plan. The Basic plan ($29usd/month) is great for almost everyone that really needs a powerfull Bitly. But Some features on the Premium are not as important for many of us, but they charge the full plan. For example, we do not need QR Codes or Advanced analytics and Campaings, but we really want to use the UTM Builder , but we just won't suscribe to the Premium plan ($199usd/month) just for that.

Linkly

Bitly is more reliable.
Jonathan L.

It's Become A Way of Life

Reviewed on 2020/03/30

I use Bitly constantly to shorten and personalize links for branding and aesthetic purposes. It's incredibly easy using their website, or a browser extension. A nice plus is the ability to track link activity, which helps us determine which links are performing well and how our content is flowing though the internet. We constantly suggest using Bitly to our customers and friends, and many of them do once they see how much better links can look.

Pros

When I first signed up years ago, all I wanted was easy link shortening. Links were becoming ridiculously long and absolutely hideous to share. Now, it's not just shortening, it's "Link Management." That's a much better description of what they do, because you have an analytics suite for your links. We love link-based tracking because we do lots of social media posts both for ourselves and our clients. In hand with Google Analytics, Bitly helps us determine which of our posts is most effective, and helps us tailor our message to our customers much more effectively.

Cons

Bitly's service is so simple, it's difficult to not like anything. They shorten links and give you analytics. If I had to ask for something, it would be more information about each click, but even that's pushing into privacy and tracking concerns. I think Bitly does a good job of giving you information about your links without being too invasive.

Nathan W.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Shorter the better

Reviewed on 2019/12/13

Excellent software tool. Simple, helpful, and a key tool for any savvy marketer.

Pros

We use bitly in all kinds of contexts. Putting long links in Youtube descriptions, for example, takes up way too much space, so using bitly is perfect--and a better experience for the user. We've also used it in the classroom when teaching and training. We give the students a bitly link on the white-board to go to for key online information or to review the training. Makes things easier for our clients and us!

Cons

The links seem to be case sensitive, which isn't made clear when you set the links up. Be aware of this when you create links people may need to type into their phone/laptop (like links you put on physical marketing materials). People will probably not type in the various capital letters you put in your link and your link may not work. All that said, it's very simple and works. And it's free!--for most of the basic stuff, anyway. Using "bitly" may not always be a great branding option for your link needs--but that's where the paid version will help you create branded links to your heart's content.

HubSpot Marketing Hub

Reasons for Switching to Bitly

Hubspot has a link shortening tool we often use in our social media efforts, but I find bitly faster and easier to use on many occasions when working away from the hubspot platform.
  • Industry: Biotechnology
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Best url management tool

Reviewed on 2019/11/22

We now shorten our long urls without problems, most importantly we shorten so many urls within minutes due to Bitly's bulk url management ability. We brand our urls and we get best analytics of the urls.

Pros

We shorten a bulk of urls with ease thereby avoiding breakage of the urls when we send them to clients. We also brand them to build trust in our customers that the links are legit. Bitly gives us all needed data according to what it gathers from the url visitors including their demographics and behavior on our website. Bitly also helps in campaign management that enables us to walk a client through the marketing process with ease.

Cons

Bitly has done the best so far and it satisfies our needs, only that it has weak privacy settings to control accessibility when working as a team.

Rafael P.
  • Industry: Higher Education

A must-have tool for URL shortening and analytics

Reviewed on 2021/07/12

Overall, my experience with Bitly is great, as it is the main platform I use for shorten URL links.
I am using the free account and the features offered on this version are very accessible and reliable.
The value-for-money is just perfect and the possibility to customize links is indeed a must!
The statistics and analytics offered by this very software are amazing and it is a great digital marketing tool.
For these many reasons, Bitly has my confidence and I can easily recommend it to any individual.

Pros

What I like the most about Bitly is the possibility to customize shorten URLs and to track all the statistics and analytics of these very URLs, such as the source of the clicks, their timing and many more.
Even with the free account, there are lot of features easily accessible on this software.
Bitly is indeed an amazing digital marketing tool, if used properly.

Cons

What I like the least about this software is, in fact, the dashboard's layout: I consider it could be even more intuitive, accessible and easy to use.
Another thing I would like to see implemented is the possibility to edit a link after it is published. Sometimes mistakes can happen and it would be great to solve them by just editing the shortened link.
Other than that, I have no more negative points to mention about this very software.

Md shahporan T.

My only one suggegted website for short any link

Reviewed on 2020/07/14

It was long time ago when I start my CPA and Affiliate marketing. that time I have to share my affiliate link to everywhere. but I can't share that, because many other sites block me, then I find this bitly. I start short my affiliate link with bitly and that I succeeded in my work. I can't get block any more to share my link. I share this more and more time. from that day I start use bitly. today I also fan of bitly.

Pros

I like their link shorten the process. and also there supporting option. when I short my link that link supports all site. so, I easily use my link in many sites. Bitly take short time to short any link. that's also good. there is no website who short very small link like bitly.

Cons

There is nothing to least about it. but if they give us some unique and different link for share that will be good. Some site did not support bitly link, so, that's it. overall bitly is my most favourite site to promote my link.

Jaze P.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Shorten URLs With Bitly, Quickly!

Reviewed on 2021/09/03

I think I am going to stick to the free plan for future use. It is still viable to use their service but since it's just for part-time affiliate marketing, that Basic paid plan seems like a bit of an overkill for me now.

Pros

On the Bitly dashboard, I can not only monitor the links I've created, but I can actually see how many times a link has been clicked as well as who may have referred my link to get clicks which is great if you're into gathering stats like that.

Cons

From doing in depth research, it seems as though I am better off buying my own domain for the price I am paying on their Basic plan. I could set up Google Analytics to gain all those reports they give me and still walk away with a bit of a saving to be quite honest. So maybe the subscription fee shouldn't be too high.

TinyURL

Reasons for Switching to Bitly

Bitly in my opinion is the original URL shrinker so I thought it would be best to test their service out first.
Anant M.

Your go to link shortening service!

Reviewed on 2020/12/04

Bitly is the best alternative to goo.gl that we have found. We have been using it regularly since over 2 years. I will surely recommend it to everyone. The free plan is mostly enough.

Pros

We used to have goo.gl as our link shortening service, and after its shut down, we moved over to Bitly.
- Just put in your link and it will generate a new short link, its that easy.
- Link customization! Its one of the best features of this service.
- Top notch analytics provided by Bitly, organized and modern clean interface.
- You can use your own short domain with Bitly, this is a very unique service that we surely will use in the near future.

Cons

There are a lot of limitations in the free plan. Even the basic plan is a little limiting. The cost is very high at $300 a month, the monthly Premium package is too expensive. There are often glitches here and there.

Fidelis A.

Bitly Review 2021

Reviewed on 2021/03/09

My overall experience is great. Bitly to me is the best when it comes to link shortening. Its analytical dashboard is great which helps me to track my link as well as the visitors.

Pros

Bitly software is a web-based software that helped me to shrink or shorten my long page or advertisement URL/link into a small readable link bearing Bitly domain name. Bitly has helped me a lot to prevent my link to be seen as a scam or harmful link. I used it in TikTok which always reject my link. After shortening my link and using bitly, the shorten link was accepted and I can easily promote my affiliate product. It is easy to use and can be integrated with many other products or software. It has link clicks analytical features which help me to know the number of people that clicked my link and their country.

Cons

Their customer service is poor, they need an instant response onsite chat channel/bot for instant reply. Also looking at their upgrade plan as compared to their features, it is very expensive.

Roy W.

its more than link shortning tool

Reviewed on 2020/01/14

I have been using bitly almost as long as I have been using social media.
Its so easy to use and obviously the best feature is the ability to customize any url with the naming you want.

Pros

1. Shortens long ugly urls into short links that can be customised by any name.
2. URL tracking: one you shorten your url and use it on any social media channel or campaign you will be able to track clicks from your users.
3. Its free. Although the in the free plan you cannot customise your url name, you can still use it to shorten your ulrs and track clicks

Cons

1. Although you can track analytics, bitly is not the best solution if you are thinking on using it as an analytics tool as it only stores 30 reports for 30 days.
2. Once bitly shortens your url you cannot change link meaning that if you want to change it you will need to create it again.

Melissa T.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Here's to Making Lengthy URLs Accessible

Reviewed on 2021/06/03

Overall, Bitly has proven to be a very useful and convenient tool for sharing links with students and other staff members.

Pros

The application shortens extremely long URLs and even allows customization of newly generated URLs. The ability to sign up and log in to save, catalog, and retrieve links is critical when teaching because I have to share convenient, easy-to-access hyperlinks with my students in a virtual learning environment. The QR code generation feature is very nice for those with the ability to scan and go.

Cons

Users have to upgrade from the free account to customize URLs. Additionally, the dot in the middle of the Bitly portion of the URL is difficult for students to remember.

Faigie G.

A Must-Have in any marketers toolbox

Reviewed on 2020/05/13

Bitly is a 'Must-Have' in any marketers toolbox. We've been using Bitly for quite a number of years now. Its super simple for even an entry-level team member to manage. Being able to brand our links with custom extensions and tags has been a huge value to our marketing team. We've created so many custom urls and are easily able to share and track them. With Bitly we can keep our links short, trackable, and looking great!

Pros

What I like most about Bitly is its absolute simplicity.
As a marketer, I use Bitly on a constant basis to shorten and also track our content. I also love the custom link aspect, as I can 'brand' my links, and file them for access as needed.
Best link shortening tool... and I've tried many!

Cons

Integration to our existing solutions was simple, and the chrome extension is perfect. It's a simple platform, but that's what we love about it.