Bitly

Link management software for managing marketing campaigns

4,8
Shivani S.
Industry: Warehousing

One click url shortner

Reviewed on 2019/07/18

Overall experience is good and I use bit.ly daily for productivity.

Pros

Not only URL shortner, it performs and gives analytics for each shortnened URL. Not only that, it gives the location of the click performed on the URL. Thus it is a complete suite for URL tracking. For example: you have a resume hosted on google drive, you can shorten the URL of the long google drive address for resume and share the shortened URL to employers. Thus you can track the click too.

Cons

BITly helps in achieving all the requirements you expect from a URL shortner. I don't have any dislikes for the same. Still they can update their android application opening time. It takes some time to load the application on smartphones.

Nathan W.
Industry: Hospital & Health Care

Shorter the better

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/12/13

Excellent software tool. Simple, helpful, and a key tool for any savvy marketer.

Pros

We use bitly in all kinds of contexts. Putting long links in Youtube descriptions, for example, takes up way too much space, so using bitly is perfect--and a better experience for the user. We've also used it in the classroom when teaching and training. We give the students a bitly link on the white-board to go to for key online information or to review the training. Makes things easier for our clients and us!

Cons

The links seem to be case sensitive, which isn't made clear when you set the links up. Be aware of this when you create links people may need to type into their phone/laptop (like links you put on physical marketing materials). People will probably not type in the various capital letters you put in your link and your link may not work. All that said, it's very simple and works. And it's free!--for most of the basic stuff, anyway. Using "bitly" may not always be a great branding option for your link needs--but that's where the paid version will help you create branded links to your heart's content.

Janet S.
Industry: Libraries

Best and most consistent URL shortener

Reviewed on 2020/09/29

I have used other URL shorteners, but Bitly is the most reliable and consistent. I can click on a link years after it's been created and it's still active. Students are also so familiar with Bitly and like its ease. You don't have to type in http://--just bit.ly and then the personalized ending. Great for teachers!

Pros

As a teacher, I use Bitly all the time to create links for student assignments. Instead of the long complex URL addresses most documents create, Bitly allows me to shorten and personalize the link. This works well for classes with different periods--same Bitly address with just a change of the period number. I also love that it's free!

Cons

My only complaint is when my personalized URL is already taken! There are a lot of schools that have the same name as mine.

Gaurav G.
Industry: Food & Beverages
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Intuitive URL Shortening Tool with Analytics

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/06/20

I use Bitly software to solve the business problem of shortening the product or category landing page links, tracking their clicks and eventually, use those insights to optimize customer experience and drive higher sales by reducing user experience or content issues. For example: if a customer engages with our voice assistant tool to shop and is not able to find a product on our website, we want to help that customer using an auto generated link to that product and track if clicking that link made that customer more satisfied. So, benefit of Bitly is it improves customer engagement through shortened landing page links and allows us to track their experience on our site. Hence, helping us improve ROI of our online business.

Pros

I use Bitly software to shorten product and category links which have Google Analytics tracking tags appended to them. So, when the marketing team includes those links in chatbot, customers see a shortened version of the links with the tags hidden. This strategy ensures links are user friendly. And at the same time, enabled for tracking so I can report on which link drove the most clicks as well as who those engaged customers were. Ultimately, using Bitly allows my marketing team to improve customer engagement and retarget those customers to drive higher conversions - a simple recipe for success. I also use Bitly analytics if for some reason Google Analytics UTM tags don't work. So, a nice backup plan.

Cons

Couple of Bitly features are needing improvement. First, the ability to customize the landing page website link I am trying to shorten and include in chatbot. So, instead of showing a random string of characters in the shortened link, I would like to show a name of the page title clarifying what product or category that page is about. I feel this feature would drive higher click-through rate from customers who see that custom link. Secondly, the ability to integrate Bitly click analytics with UTM session activity and customer id. So, I can see an end-to-end experience of customers from link click to landing to buying a product or researching it. These holistic insights would help my marketing team to improve design and content.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Melissa C.
Industry: Publishing
Company size: Self Employed

Amazing Way To Shorten Links For Social Media Shares and more!

Reviewed on 2020/08/20

My overall experience with Bitly is that they are super easy to use and the platform is user friendly. Sometimes my post titles are super long and the Bitly service helps to minimize and ensure my social shares and posts look cleaner in terms of linking.

Pros

I love billy to use to shorten my ever growing URL's on my website. It helps to disguise some of the links I use for affiliates as well which is more user friendly for my audience.

Cons

There is nothing that I dislike about Bitlyl as their service is free and my links always looks fabulous because of them. I use them every day honestly....especially for my social shares.

Industry: Consumer Services

Bitly My Review

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2020/05/29

My experience has been great and i know many who use this and it makes a huge difference in making it easy to shorten a URL.

Pros

Bitly makes it easy to short a URL and makes if easy for a faster search.

Cons

i think it should make it self more well known so people understand what it is and know that this isn't a scam or anything that could harm them.

Superb software !

Reviewed on 2020/09/16

Very satisfied and truly happy with being able to generate my links and track my results.

Pros

I use this for affiliate marketing and i love that it integrates all your progress and makes it easy for tracking .

Cons

I have nothing to say for the least . I personally have had no issues .

Industry: Management Consulting
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Good resources searcher

Reviewed on 2020/10/10

Overall very good expeirence, its free version of the software is on par with most of the popular options in the market

Pros

Good software to search rare resources and complement major library. Community function is innovative to talk to people using similar resources

Cons

Sometimes the resources availabilities are unclear and could be improved. Download speed is slow as well when the internet is working fine

Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Quick, simple URL customisation capabilities

Reviewed on 2020/10/07

Pleasant and quick to use - I love the ability to customise URLs and make them be in more plain language

Pros

The ability to track usage and fine tune engagement analytics because bitly offers usage data for URLs you create. This helps when you want to test effectiveness of any messaging and how users engage with your content

Cons

It's pretty focused on what it does, which is to generate shortened/custom URLs that are easier for users to remember. Bitly doesn't quite send scheduled usage reports so you do end up needing to remember to log on and extract the metrics for your reporting

Gede ananda A.
Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Shorten your link with Bitly

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2020/08/11

I absolutely love this app, I selling merchandise online and this is helping me a lot, I can easily shorten my website link whenever I releasing a new product so I can put it on my Instagram bio.

Pros

With just FREE version Bitly offer powerful analytic tools, I can track how many times my link has been clicked and etc. Been using this for 2 years now and I never been so satisfied, creating custom link never been so easy in my life

Cons

Upgrade plan is costing a lot, sometimes all the keyword has been taken and it's not possible to direct code to new website even it's our code.

Christos T.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

More than a url shortener

Reviewed on 2019/08/22

The most intuitive URL shortener with deep analytics. A must have for anyone that manages social media accounts.

Pros

We've been using bit.ly since the very first days, when it was just a URL shortener. Since then we've been happy to see it add more features such as deep analytics. We've been using the FREE version for all our clients' social media accounts for the last 4 years.

Cons

The paid versions are a bit expensive. Also, sometimes it can get a bit irritating when the custom URL you want to use has already been taken. You cannot hold on to URLs for later use.

Jonathan L.

It's Become A Way of Life

Reviewed on 2020/03/30

I use Bitly constantly to shorten and personalize links for branding and aesthetic purposes. It's incredibly easy using their website, or a browser extension. A nice plus is the ability to track link activity, which helps us determine which links are performing well and how our content is flowing though the internet. We constantly suggest using Bitly to our customers and friends, and many of them do once they see how much better links can look.

Pros

When I first signed up years ago, all I wanted was easy link shortening. Links were becoming ridiculously long and absolutely hideous to share. Now, it's not just shortening, it's "Link Management." That's a much better description of what they do, because you have an analytics suite for your links. We love link-based tracking because we do lots of social media posts both for ourselves and our clients. In hand with Google Analytics, Bitly helps us determine which of our posts is most effective, and helps us tailor our message to our customers much more effectively.

Cons

Bitly's service is so simple, it's difficult to not like anything. They shorten links and give you analytics. If I had to ask for something, it would be more information about each click, but even that's pushing into privacy and tracking concerns. I think Bitly does a good job of giving you information about your links without being too invasive.

Industry: Biotechnology
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Best url management tool

Reviewed on 2019/11/22

We now shorten our long urls without problems, most importantly we shorten so many urls within minutes due to Bitly's bulk url management ability. We brand our urls and we get best analytics of the urls.

Pros

We shorten a bulk of urls with ease thereby avoiding breakage of the urls when we send them to clients. We also brand them to build trust in our customers that the links are legit. Bitly gives us all needed data according to what it gathers from the url visitors including their demographics and behavior on our website. Bitly also helps in campaign management that enables us to walk a client through the marketing process with ease.

Cons

Bitly has done the best so far and it satisfies our needs, only that it has weak privacy settings to control accessibility when working as a team.

Md shahporan T.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

My only one suggegted website for short any link

Reviewed on 2020/07/14

It was long time ago when I start my CPA and Affiliate marketing. that time I have to share my affiliate link to everywhere. but I can't share that, because many other sites block me, then I find this bitly. I start short my affiliate link with bitly and that I succeeded in my work. I can't get block any more to share my link. I share this more and more time. from that day I start use bitly. today I also fan of bitly.

Pros

I like their link shorten the process. and also there supporting option. when I short my link that link supports all site. so, I easily use my link in many sites. Bitly take short time to short any link. that's also good. there is no website who short very small link like bitly.

Cons

There is nothing to least about it. but if they give us some unique and different link for share that will be good. Some site did not support bitly link, so, that's it. overall bitly is my most favourite site to promote my link.

Roy W.
Company size: Self Employed

its more than link shortning tool

Reviewed on 2020/01/14

I have been using bitly almost as long as I have been using social media.
Its so easy to use and obviously the best feature is the ability to customize any url with the naming you want.

Pros

1. Shortens long ugly urls into short links that can be customised by any name.
2. URL tracking: one you shorten your url and use it on any social media channel or campaign you will be able to track clicks from your users.
3. Its free. Although the in the free plan you cannot customise your url name, you can still use it to shorten your ulrs and track clicks

Cons

1. Although you can track analytics, bitly is not the best solution if you are thinking on using it as an analytics tool as it only stores 30 reports for 30 days.
2. Once bitly shortens your url you cannot change link meaning that if you want to change it you will need to create it again.

Faigie G.
Industry: Marketing & Advertising

A Must-Have in any marketers toolbox

Reviewed on 2020/05/13

Bitly is a 'Must-Have' in any marketers toolbox. We've been using Bitly for quite a number of years now. Its super simple for even an entry-level team member to manage. Being able to brand our links with custom extensions and tags has been a huge value to our marketing team. We've created so many custom urls and are easily able to share and track them. With Bitly we can keep our links short, trackable, and looking great!

Pros

What I like most about Bitly is its absolute simplicity.
As a marketer, I use Bitly on a constant basis to shorten and also track our content. I also love the custom link aspect, as I can 'brand' my links, and file them for access as needed.
Best link shortening tool... and I've tried many!

Cons

Integration to our existing solutions was simple, and the chrome extension is perfect. It's a simple platform, but that's what we love about it.

Industry: E-Learning
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Great in Communications

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

Really great in general, but an awesome solution for a larger org with many different business groups, product lines, etc. Ability to have custom domains made links easy to understand, identify, and trust when sharing with the broader org.

Pros

At two different organizations, we've had regular communications that were drafted weekly or bi-weekly that would require links to content on sharepoint or saved in other areas. These links were too long and sharing management per each communication would have been too much effort and upkeep. This helped us get static links down to a manageable and easy to understand length. Tidied up the PDFs and we received positive feedback from the people in the field as Bitly was something they recognized in general.

Cons

The only con that I could possibly note is that unless you go with the Basic or custom pricing options, it can be a little limiting based on your needs as an organization. We started out with Basic and then moved on to a custom plan to allow for more user seats and custom domains to accommodate other areas of the business.

Tracy F.
Industry: Internet

no more long ugly links

Reviewed on 2019/12/04

i use short links evey day i find they look better than most long links and saves space on social media posts that have a limit , some links you convert to short links do state who the link is for such as ebay or amzon but not all i like to let readers know the links are fine to click but not everyone wants to click a short link that doesnt show a preview. the dashboard is simple to read and use i like to track how many clicks a link gets in a day and can with bitly which lets me know if a product link is good or bad

Pros

short links great for social media
ability to customize links
track clicks on links with ease hen logged into your account

Cons

you can only make so many links each day as a free user
if you plan to make more than 50 links a day best get a paid one

Nkululeko C.

Bitly review

Reviewed on 2020/04/02

It help me and my team to keep on track on everything especially if you are Internet marketer you should know where most of your traffic coming from.

Pros

Most thing I like about the software link shorten and branding, if you have a long ugly link it helps to keep it short and rename it after your product or service.

Analytics and Tracking, it helps me keep on track where is my traffic coming from and how many clicks I'm getting into a specific country.

Free plan- if you cannot afford a paid plan, you also get a free plan

Cons

The Bitly link in some places are banned but so far I it great software.

There are some features you can't get from a Free plan.

Ron elius S.

Shorten your links in a Customized Way

Reviewed on 2018/09/22

Really Satisfied!

Pros

This tool is so amazing! I don't have to worry for long and ugly URLs, you can customize it using Bitly. Most problems that I encounter are those URLs that aren't personalized, meaning if you can personalize at least your URL to make it more beautiful and inviting then you must use Bitly to shorten and customize your URL. And it's really easy! Just paste the long URL and surprised! It's already shorter. Bitly helped me so much and I love this tool.

Cons

The only Cons that I encountered is the mobile experience. But the Pros of this tool outweighs this Cons but I really hope they can improve their Mobile UX.

Jeheen mahmood Z.
Industry: Computer Software

The quickest link tool out there

Reviewed on 2020/01/25

I use it mostly for personal or lowkey office work. One of the major use for me is to create links for blogs or articles that are too long otherwise to use in our social media posts. I have used it to create short links for emails too, to embed them in my emails to track the performance of the links and run segmentations.

Pros

I simply love the simplicity of bitly. I have subscriptions from several link shortening and tracking tool. But whenever I need a quick shortening, I always go to bitly. I know this is one of the most powerful tools in this field, but our office subscribes to a couple of other tools that the managers prefer for heavy lifting like branding, CTAs and remarketing tasks. But for a simple link tracking and shortening, I am yet to see a tool that can beat bitly.

Cons

I honestly can not think of one. Their UI was outdated, and that was a little itch for me. But they now have a slick modern UI, so there is nothing to complain about.

Elyse D.
Industry: Writing & Editing
Company size: Self Employed

Makes promoting and sharing your work easy

Reviewed on 2019/10/18

I'm so grateful that Bitly has given me a way to shorten URLs with ease. That way, I can spend all that extra time (and extra characters) telling the world about what I do. Bitly helps us share the things we love. And that's why we love Twitter, isn't it?

Pros

As a freelance writer, I'm on Twitter all. the. time. It's one of the primary ways I get my work out in the world, so I've got to make every character count! Bitly helps me make sure that every precious word gets spent describing the work itself, not wasted on http address nonsense.

Cons

I really have no beefs with Bitly whatsoever. I'm just waiting until it doesn't have a free option anymore--may that day never come!

Corine T.
Industry: Computer Software
Company size: Self Employed

Bitly is an Awesome Tool!

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/04/25

Bitly has always been great for me. I don't use it too often because I don't always need to shorten links, but it is honestly such a good idea. There are times where you want to advertise a link or send a link to other people and the link is so long and confusing. Bitly really helps to shorten it, but also lets you brand your link so that when you send it to someone, they can kind of get an idea of where the link is going to take them.

Pros

I think that Bitly is a great tool and such an awesome idea. Links can be very lengthy, so using Bitly to shorten a link is very helpful! Bitly is really easy to use and works with any link, which is what I like most about this software. I would definitely recommend using it to anyone. Bitly also enables the users to come up with a small part of the end of the link to brand your own link.

Cons

There is really nothing to dislike about it. I think that it is great that it is free, especially if you are not a big user. I guess the only down side to Bitly would be having to pay for it when you need to make many shorter links, although I never needed to.

Kishasha F.
Industry: Education Management

Bitly Review

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/07/28

Pros

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Bitly!! I have used Bitly for about four years now. I lead a parent group a few years ago and sent a ton of parent communications out ( surveys, forms, links to articles). I routinely used Bitly to create shorten links with recognizable or easy to remember names. This was so helpful when I needed to review someone back to document/link that was emailed. I also like the software tracks the number of views/clicks on the created customized link. This gave me real-time data on whether or not I needed to forward documents back out to my group for them to engage with it as needed. I highly recommend Bitly!! I recommended the software to my husband and he uses it at his job for his work! He works at a university.

Cons

I have NO cons to the software Bitly!! It is GREAT and I have recommended it to many people to use for VERY long URLs links (ie URLs created in Google Docs).

Industry: Publishing

Good, free click-tracking program

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

Pros

If you don't have the ability to use the premium version of Bitly or any other software that tracks impressions/clicks, the free version is a good alternative. It gives a good idea of the amount of traffic an web ad or web page is receiving.

Cons

Sometimes I am not sure how accurate the numbers are, we sometimes use our premium accounts from other software that has a different function and they don't match up. Also, the dates links were clicked are jumbled and hard to navigate when you are going back several months.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10