Claris FileMaker Reviews

Custom application development

Sacha
Sacha
  • Industry: Insurance

Immediate development results from renowned multi-platform suite

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

Multi-platform deployment of a single code base, company-wide policy administration for internal and online-accounts - benefits are large system changes immediately testable within instantly-deployed self-contained environments for advanced automation and on-the-fly user interface updates.

With a free trial, and a willingness to try a development system that focuses (though is not limited to) linear steps, you can experience truly productive results significantly faster than web-based systems, without compromising deployment options - a really flexible and hugely enjoyable development environment!

Pros

Instant compilation & execution of syntax-free code, visually-based object-linking / selection, immediate UI changes, plug-in and web-service extensibility, multi-platform deployment of single code-base solutions, from desktop to web and mobile.

Cons

Cost is the only consideration when recommending, though in comparison to other systems, it offers better value, just would benefit from a lower entry-level option for people to discover its power.

Phil
Phil

One of my very favourite products!

Reviewed on 2022/01/06

I developed several applications for clients using FM. It was a pleasure to use and the solutions I provided were reasonably complex. I have successfully created custom apps such as scheduling, billing, quoting and testing. These apps were created for Plumbing & Heating, Optometry and a College.

Pros

The simplicity to create applications from scratch is my fav feature. I was up and running quickly and producing quality applications in no time. I just enjoy using FileMaker!

Cons

There is always room for improvement and I would suggest the developer GUI could use some work. While I find it simple to use, for the most part, there are a couple of areas that might be improved.

• Industry: Entertainment

Harrassing

Reviewed on 2023/03/03

Pros

It's okay. Nothing else to say, really.

Cons

They are harrassing. They quoted for a service two years ago that we paid for and since stopped using. Being international, they seem to have missed the payment two years ago. Their emails asking for payment are completely blank emails from a suspicious email address, with an attachment. No name, no account number, not even a signature panel. Obviously, I thought they were spam/viruses and so never opened them. So I only found out they were asking for the money when they called over a year after they first started asking for the money. I then engaged them, told them how odd their invoice emails were, provided payment info, went above and beyond to try and show them that I had paid. Eventually, they agreed and sent me an email saying the issue was resolved.They then sent those blank emails a couple more times and today started threatening to send the account to debt collectors.This is absurd. I don't owe them money and they admitted it!

Matthew
Matthew
  • Industry: Publishing

Flexible database app for simple to complex needs

Reviewed on 2018/12/08

Initially we just wanted to convert our old and outdated database system over to FileMaker, but once others in the company saw the flexibility and ease of use of FileMaker, it's use has greatly increased throughout my company. It's seen a lot of use replacing MS Excel-based "systems", where users have just slapped together a bunch of messy Excel files in a confusing way without any help from IT. These Excel "systems" are growing, causing problems, and then are being replaced by FileMaker databases with great success.

Pros

I like that FileMaker is simple to learn (and to keep learning), with tons of resources available online including their own forums. Between youtube videos and some paid Lynda.com courses I feel very confident I can develop quality database solutions for my company. It's great software and I actually enjoy working with it.

Cons

The recent pricing structure change for version 17 file has me concerned about the direction FileMaker might be taking. So we've held onto version 16 for now and will be waiting to upgrade. Other than concerns about pricing I don't have anything else bad to say about it.

Gary
Gary

More than a database

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

I've used FileMaker to create everything from a personal time management system to an online volunteer registration database. If you can imagine it, you can build it.

Pros

The FileMaker platform combines robust database management with a slick interface for designing a pleasant end-user experience. With some little training, a developer can become quite competent at creating a complete solution. With more experience and training, there's little that CAN'T be done with the system.

Cons

I have to say it; the least favorable piece of the system is its pricing structure. It's pricey to use for anything but medium to large scale deployment. Small businesses might find the cost prohibitive, and developers working for small organizations might not be able to produce solutions that are cost effective for their clients. You get a lot of horsepower, but it comes at a price.

Tamas Hunor
Tamas Hunor
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

Awesome tool for our rentalhouse

Reviewed on 2020/08/28

I can't imagine an another tool that is so helpful for us. As a developer/user I can easily fix a lot of things on the fly while I am working. Not the best thing, but for small and annoying corrections it's ok. (Like layout fixes)
There are a lot of tutorials and learning materials online. It helps us to save hours and hours every day.

Pros

Filemaker gives us a really easy to develop environment. You can start with a blank canvas, sketch up something, use it, and refine it. Even if it called low code, you can do a lot of advanced things.

Cons

I wish I can have more help from the support. Our company wants to step up and invenst into this platform. Maybe I should reach out the awesome community instead of our direct contact.
We had troubles connecting different kind of databases to our current solution. You have to really know what are the limitation of the software.

• Industry: Design
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

FileMaker solved many problems with our production workflow

Reviewed on 2019/02/05

We solved workflow problems with our business. Now all stakeholders can view the status of any project, and be alerted of changes. Requests (job tickets) are easy to manage and assign to a lead. Searching for past projects is now a click away, versus our exceedingly large Excel sheets from the past.

Pros

I find the customization of FileMaker to be the key to its success. With some software development knowledge, I can set it up how I'd like it and maintain it for a low overall cost. In my company we specifically used a FileMaker development company to build out our custom system, which cut all the paper out of our workflow, and cut out unnecessary data re-entry. A huge time saver.

Cons

If you have no developing knowledge, you may be left to use an out of the box solution, which might not be exactly applicable to your situation. Also, it seems like it is difficult to do certain email things on Mac with Outlook. Things like click-through links back to the FileMaker system from an email notification.

Jack

A Dream for Entry-Level Developers

Reviewed on 2018/12/19

We were able to take a concept that was just barely not capable in MS Access and many other platforms and create it on Filemaker in less than 6 months, and have been slowing modifying it and adding to it as we go, all without the need for a skilled salaried position.

Pros

Their simple yet comprehensive set of no-code scripts steps that are available to use.

Cons

The licensing and hosting challenges. there are different ways to host and an annual license for a set amount of users is needed every year. The way your license is provided to you depends on how and where you buy the license from and how it is going to be hosted. Can be very daunting when doing it the first time.

• Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Claris FileMaker for Business

Reviewed on 2022/07/15

FileMaker can do the job. It is flexible and adaptable. There are other easier to learn, cleaner, and modern database solutions out there that don't require specific certification courses to learn the nuances of.

Pros

This software gets the job done. You can create databases and stores and more with this software; it's very flexible.

Cons

This database solution was by far the hardest software I've had to learn how to use. Frequently our company had to hire consulting companies to manage our legacy databases after our lead designer left the team.

It is so flexible and easy to customise.

Reviewed on 2017/12/12

We use it to track over 10,000 clients. We have previously tried customised software but this has been the most reliable.

Pros

It is so easy to add new fields and reports. It's reliable, fast to load and works on both PC and Mac.

Cons

As with all software these days, it's hard to get a direct answer from customer support. New versions don't support all the features we are using. New versions don't support our current setup.

• Used for 2+ years

Filemaker Pro Developer for many years

Reviewed on 2018/07/24

Pros

Filemaker Pro allows you to prototype and built database production grade applications fast. The nicest thing about Filemaker Pro is that you built the database structure, scripts and layouts in the same application. Building lay outs is as easy as drag and drop and doesn't require extensive design skills or knowledge of secondary technologies such as HTML/CSS/JavaScript. Personally I think anyone who's willing to dedicated some time for training is able to become a Filemaker Developer. Another nice thing is that database applications can easily be integrated with mobile platforms.

Filemaker applications can be hosted online (cloud), on premise on Filemaker Server and locally on the Filemaker client. The applications that I've build with Filemaker run for 10+ years already on a Filemaker Server multi site environment and is in use by 25+ people on a daily basis.

Filemaker is regularly updated (major versions usually once a year) which introduces new features. These updates make Filemaker better each round, for instance the latest upgrade introduces sensory perception for IOS devices and a new administration console.

Finally, the development and implementation costs of Filemaker Pro applications are very low compared to enterprise database solutions making it really attractive for SMB. The licensing is server and client based and there is also a subscription based license to be paid annually.

Cons

The pros of Filemaker Pro heavily outweigh its cons but here is a few:
- Performance of applications is nowhere as good as that of enterprise solutions, especially when multiple clients from different sites connect to an on premise hosted server.
- Filemaker has its own scripting engine, which is pretty good, but some functions/operations can be a bit difficult to implement due to its limitations which is easier in SQL.

David

Easy, powerful do it yourself solution

Reviewed on 2018/11/14

I have used FileMaker for 22 years and am continually impressed with its evolution. It has leap-frogged passed Access as a "home database" and now competes with top-level professional data solutions. FileMaker Go is a pleasure to use. I have built my own Contacts solution that is years ahead of anything in the iOS app store. I wish a customer portal could be built to make dealing with support issues easier. The single biggest request, an Android version, falls on deaf ears; likely because FileMaker is owned by Apple Inc.

Pros

The FileMaker platform (desktop, server, cloud, FileMaker Go mobile app) is lightyears in simplicity ahead of Microsoft Access - which I often hear as the "go-to do it yourself" solution. FileMaker is ridiculously simple to use, especially when using a built-in starter solution. FileMaker scales to almost enterprise levels of use. The scripting functionality make creation of custom apps (no longer called "solutions") a very quick affair. FileMaker works with Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, and the iOS FileMaker Go App. Pricing is very reasonable considering all it does.

Cons

Development of the platform usually runs slower than emerging technologies can be incorporated. There is no Android version of the mobile app. The web app is an acceptable solution for simple solutions, but usually not a good option for apps using complex scripting. Support can be challenging. There is no customer portal to manage keys and payment information.

Phillip
  • Industry: Insurance

I have been a Filemaker Pro user for years

Reviewed on 2019/10/05

I was able to overcome old paper inventory systems by integrating an invoicing and CRM system together.

Pros

I like the fact that I can create almost anything with this platform. from Inventory Management to client Management, Lead Systems, Invoicing and Product Categories. I once automated a product catalog with this software for thousands of products.

Cons

Sometimes the scripting between modules was difficult to figure out, but I was able to find help with thie support and forums.

Steve

Claris Filemaker Pro

Reviewed on 2022/01/25

Our overall experience with FileMaker has been very rewarding because of the amount of training help available.

Pros

Ease of use makes the learning curve of this product easier to deploy than other products.

Cons

The biggest problem with Filemaker has to do with upgrading. When Claris issues a new major upgrade, previous templates cannot use the new upgrade. Your templates have to be recreated in the upgraded version to take advantage of any new features.

• Industry: Higher Education

The BEST tool for Creative Problem Solvers

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

We have used it to build custom workflows that integrate a facility calendar, invoicing clients for rental of space, and taking payments. Each company is unique, which is why it was so helpful to be able to build our own solution to the issues we were running into.

Pros

The flexibility offered by FileMaker is incredible. The more that I learn about how it works, the more I'm convinced that there's nothing you can't build with FileMaker at the core. Also, there's nothing like the community surrounding this platform. FileMaker developers are the most helpful, sharing people I've ever met. You never have to be afraid to ask a question if you get stuck because someone else has run into that problem before and they will help you through the other end.

Cons

Depending on your use case, it might be too expensive. The buy-in can be high so you have to be willing to invest in making something critical to your operations.

Casey
  • Industry: Executive Office

Filemaker Pro Advanced

Reviewed on 2019/01/07

Overall, FileMaker has made our business run much more smoothly. We are converting all of our old paper records to electronic, and this software helps us keep track of everything.

Pros

We're using this software to create a database with 50+ years of grant history. FileMaker has totally changed the way we do business! I love that it is able to perform time saving tasks such as, creating personalized letters, emails and reports. I love that It easily stores and organizes all of our old records, giving us the paper free office we've been yearning for.

Cons

-We use FileMaker to issue random passwords and various types of access- it regularly bugs out and occasionally needs restarted in order for access changes to be reflected.

-I dislike that it is not user friendly for most average people. (We have a IT company who is creating our database)

The best solution to do application.

Reviewed on 2019/09/18

Filemaker helps the developer to create applications more easily, in addition, for the client it is cheaper if the application is developed in less time. The Filemaker interface makes designing and organizing easier and we can create designs more quickly.

Pros

Easy do applications and understand the application.
Easy interface to work.
Share a database between different users.
Strong security.
Multiplatform, you can develop in Windows, Mac, Web and smartphone.
Very customizable layouts, scripts and database.

Cons

Limited on some occasions.
If your solution is very simple, is possible that Filemaker is not a platform for you.

Risa
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Great way to stay organized and up to date

Reviewed on 2019/11/13

Great product. Keeps production high, everything extremely organized and easily accessible, and will handle all of your needs.

Pros

My favorite part about this software is the amount of things you can accomplish using it. I work for a facilities maintenance company and we track all of our emergency and normal schedule work orders, our contractors, and all of our customers as well. It stays organized, up to date, and we maintain a high production rate using it.

Cons

The only thing I dislike is the main interface can be a little intimidating when first learning it as there is a lot going on, and a lot of tabs and buttons that can easily change settings and usage. But, once you get to know it, it gets easier and easier and will be a great asset to your company.

Tony
Tony

FileMaker: The Only Easy-To-Use Solution for SOHO

Reviewed on 2021/02/26

FileMaker currently runs my event business, and for 20 years ran my publishing business. I have FMP scripts that export structured data like white pages listings and vendor listings. These scripts have run, with little modification for decades—that says a lot.

Pros

FileMaker works right out of the box as a relational database that can run the back end of your business. Doctors, shopkeepers and consultants can all benefit from using FileMaker. It's powerful yet, simple to use.

Cons

Over the years, the licensing of FMP has progressively gotten worse. If I could find another solution, I would. Believe me, I have looked. I return to FMP because I can develop sophisticated solutions myself, or with the help of a seasoned developer.

Shannon

Easy to learn

Reviewed on 2017/12/21

FileMaker is a great platform to build applications that you can't find anywhere else. You can make an application easily that is perfect for what you need. There are many videos and documents online to help you learn specific features and structures in order to make it perform the way you envisioned. If you know how to write formulas in Excel then you will pick up FileMaker pretty easily.

Pros

Very easy to learn as you go.
Very forgiving while you learn.
Very little limitations.
Can work with ipads and iphones for the people out in the field as will as back office computers.

Cons

Time consuming.
Does not work with Androids.
Once you do one application then it turns into two then three and it never stops.

Julia
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Claris FileMaker SaaS

Reviewed on 2021/04/28

Used FileMaker for decades for two departments. Conservative users didn't want to convert to a more advanced system. Transition to the hosted solution is a time, money, management saver.

Pros

Serves well the client that are used to it and non-technical. If you use FileMaker go for SaaS - reasonably priced, easy to transition, easy to manage.

Cons

Limited functionality, but serves well for what it is used by specific departments. Would prefer to use the same DB system as the rest of the college.

Hannah
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Gets the job done

Reviewed on 2022/05/05

My group uses FileMaker to database thousands of devices. It gets the job done but there's probably much better options out there.

Pros

The software is reliable enough that I have access to what I need and is pretty customizable. I like the new barcode add on (though it's functionality leaves a lot to be desired).

Cons

We've had issues with OS compatibility and some of the features are overly complicated to implement. Our database could be much better with very thorough customization but it would take an annoying amount of effort to get there.

Michi

Custom Database Solution

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

In our business we use FileMaker not only for us, but, we help clients customize their solutions. We love being able to custom tailor a solution and design the layouts and user interface to fit our needs. Custom, custom, custom is all I have to say. We have used it for CRM, accounting and custom solutions that can also integrate nicely with the web.

Pros

I have been utilizing this software for almost 10 years now. The best part of FileMaker is the ability to customize your database to suit your needs. However, you do need knowledge on how databases work in order to customize. I love being able to design my own layouts, injecting my own design and workflow into the user interface.

Cons

Personally I don't see cons, however, for someone who is looking for an out of the box solution, you can find some starter solutions, but without development skills, you would need to hire a developer to help you customize a solution to suit your individual business needs.

Anita
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Best Database Since DBMaster for the Apple IIe!

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Simplified workflow. Better contact organization. Email from application. Best record keeping product. Ease of use.

Pros

Fairly simple to use. Relational database so that we can keep track of lots of different transactions and contacts etc. The best part is that there are many pre-canned solutions to get you started on using the product right away. Makes workflow simple, fast and easy. It is a very powerful database that can be used in so many ways yet doesn't take up much real estate on the computer. I worked on the DB Master platform for several years and it was so easy, this one is also easy to use once it is setup, but to set it up there are many steps. Once it is set up the sky is the limit for reporting, calculations and even using it as a POS system!

Cons

Must write scripts and lots of code to make it do what I needed it to do, so I ended up hiring a consultant to do the work for us. It was expensive but will pay off with a simpler workflow. Setting it up for your specific needs can be daunting and cumbersome. I would suggest taking a class, looking at training videos and also having a programming background to use it to its full potential.

William

I have been using FileMaker for more than 20 years. I was initially attracted to its ease of...

Reviewed on 2017/06/08

I do everything with this software. It runs my business, tracks my customers, prepares my invoices, tracks my personal library, displays my work portfolio, handles our family history website, etc.

Pros

Ease of use. As a non-programmer, I was able to make cool applications for my personal and hobby use. Now as a developer it is my number one tool of choice for creating business automation software.

Cons

It has some aspects of interface which are unique to its brand, and usage of the web interface version is not quite up to par yet.