Real-Time Labor Guide Reviews

Real-Time Labor Guide

Auto repair software for managing labor costs

Dale

Great program

Reviewed on 2020/06/01

It's been a great tool for my company.

It's been a great tool for my company.

Pros

If I can't find a job customer service always helps me price it out!

Cons

Everything works greatfor me. Never had a problem with anything.

Mitchell RepairCenter

Reasons for Switching to Real-Time Labor Guide

Price

Response from Dowell Systems

Dale - Thank you for the great review! We're glad to have you as a customer!

Elisabeth

Easy to navigate

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

Pros

Easy to navigate. Very functional, its great that I can add parts and specific labor to our shop and store for quick reference.

Cons

Customer Service has not been the easiest to get ahold of the few times I've needed too.

Response from Dowell Systems

Elisabeth - Thank you for your great review! We work very hard and reach out for tons of feedback in order to make the system as easy to use as possible. I'm sorry you've had a hard time reaching us lately - the beginning of the year is always very busy with annual updates but if you leave a message we won't leave the office until our voicemail box is clear, and usually we get back to you a lot sooner then that. Thanks for being our customer for the last several years - we look forward to many more!

Mike

Horrible times

Reviewed on 2014/02/28

I mostly started using it to print estimates and invoices but it does not save them, so you cannot make a diag estimate and come back and add the fix to print your invoice, you have to start all over, including customer information.

Second, the flat rate times are horribly innacurate. I just started my own mobile repair business and wanted to get a feel for the market before getting alldata and dedicating myself to that kind of monthly bill. The innaccurate times of this program easily cost me 10 hours per week, and I have a very leisurely schedule.

I would only recomend this program for a highschool/college kid working on his friends cars a few times a month at most. It was worth the $10 to get a better feel for how to be my own service advisor but this is the easy-bake-oven of labor tools. If you run any sort of business. Skip it.

I guess on the plus side my low invoices have made some extremely happy first customers.

Response from Dowell Systems

Mr. Richardson -

Thank you for your review of our product and I am glad we were able to help you make some extremely happy first customers for your business. You are right that the Real-Time Labor Guide does not save estimates or invoices. It was not meant to be a shop management system - we have other software available that will retain all your customer and ticket history, save inventory, build reports to help run your business, etc. Regarding the labor times - we get our labor times from mechanics like you actually doing the jobs in the field. Most customers report that our labor times reflect what it actually takes them to do the job, not what the manufacturer thinks it should take. We continually work to update our database of labor times and our customer service team is always happy to hear from our customers how we can improve. Feel free to contact us anytime with examples.
Thank you for trying us, and if you ever need a second opinion we hope you'll try us again in the future

Nick
  • Industry: Automotive

Real-Time labor guide helps with estimating

Reviewed on 2020/03/25

Overall, Real-Time Labor Guide has gotten us out of some jams for sure. Had we used the traditional labor times we would have short changed ourselves.

Pros

I like the low,avg,high industry labor times and the notes on certain jobs indicating errors with traditional labor guides.

Cons

I have to buy separate licenses for each copy. Also, navigating the menu is a bit dated. I'd like to see more effort put into integration so advisors can build a labor estimate quickly.

Response from Dowell Systems

Nick - Thank you for your awesome and honest review. We're so happy to have you as a customer, and glad we could get you out of some jams and save you from short changing yourselves!

JOE

ONLINE LABOR GUIDE

Reviewed on 2020/06/01

DOES A GOOD JOB AND EASY TO USE.

DOES A GOOD JOB AND EASY TO USE.

Pros

THE EASE OF USE AND THE ACCURACY OF THE LABOR GUIDE

Cons

NOT ANY REAL NEGATIVE ISSUES. DOES LOCK UP SOMETIME WHEN MORE THAN ONE PERSON USING
THE LABOR GUIDE.

Response from Dowell Systems

Joe - Thank you for your great review. We work hard to make sure our service is as easy to use and accurate as possible. You are right that if another person uses your username and password to log in on another computer it will log you out, and that is why we suggest separate users for shops that need more than one person in the system at a time. Thanks for being our customer for all these years!

John
  • Industry: Automotive

Best way to invoice my jobs

Reviewed on 2020/06/04

Makes keeping track of customers and their vehicles so easy I can do it.

Makes keeping track of customers and their vehicles so easy I can do it.

Pros

Very easy to use and configure the coverage is great and can even use custom types of vehicles overall the best software for shop invoicing.

Cons

There is nothing I don’t like about the software.

Response from Dowell Systems

John - It's feedback like this: "Did my homework and was the best price for the best product" that makes our day. We're so happy we can provide the shop management service that you need to help you run your shop. Thanks for being our customer for all these years!

GARY
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

GUIDE USER-CREWCHIEF

Reviewed on 2020/06/02

NICE TO BE ABLE USE YOU AS GUIDE FOR TIME ENVOLVED IN SOME OPERATIONS.

NICE TO BE ABLE USE YOU AS GUIDE FOR TIME ENVOLVED IN SOME OPERATIONS.

Pros

NICE TO USE YOU AS A GUIDE TO KNOW TIMES ENVOLVED,ALSO LIKE THE WAY YOU PEOPLE LISTEN WHEN WE CALL AND TELL THERE NEEDS TO BE ADJUSTMENTS TO SOME LABOR TIMES! BILLING OUT LABOR ON INVOICES IS SO MUCH EASIER WITH THIS GUIDE.

Cons

NOTHING,WELL SATISFIED WITH IT,EASY TO USE,COVERS ABOUT EVERYTHING ENVOLVING JOBS.

Response from Dowell Systems

Gary - Thank you for the fantastic review! We're so happy you've been our customer all these years!

Gordon

Indespensible resource

Reviewed on 2020/05/26

Overall this is a fantastic product at a great price. It's easy to use, and when I've called in for additional assistance they are super helpful.

Pros

Real time labor guide gets you to repair times very quickly.

Cons

Sometimes for certain repair topics the descriptions can be vague. For example I've never found a good description for a complete CV axle assembly. It says "axle shaft", inner boot, outer boot, etc. Would be helpful to have an additional choice.

Response from Dowell Systems

Gordon - Thank you so much for your honest and glowing review! We're so happy to have you as a customer!

Scott
  • Industry: Automotive

It been a few years but...

Reviewed on 2018/03/25

Customers always loved having detailef estimate

Customers always loved having detailef estimate

Pros

Great fast product. Used daily for years. Customer service was outstanding. Maybe had 1 or 2 access issues, resolved immediately.
Alan, who i think may have been owner always helped.

Cons

Occasionally, but really rare labor listed to low. When there was a error, the number was obvious. Just double checked on Napa

Response from Dowell Systems

Thank you Scott for your great review! We love having you as our customer!

Fhara

Very Helpful

Reviewed on 2020/06/03

I’ve been using Real-Time Labor Guide since 2013 and it helped me so much it has been very easy to use. Very simple to understand

Pros

Very eazy to use. Very affordable price.

Cons

I would really love it if they would add diagrams and specifications, part locations and more body part options

Response from Dowell Systems

Fhara - Thank you for the glowing review! We're so happy you have been our customer for the last 7 years, and hope to keep meeting your expectations well into the future!

Will

Great Peogram

Reviewed on 2020/06/09

i have been using this software for about 6/7 years now and it’s the only
invoice program i use.

i have been using this software for about 6/7 years now and it’s the only
invoice program i use.

Pros

It’s easy to use and it makes it legible to customers compared to reading an auto repair invoice from a dealership or other shop where you can’t find what was even done to your vehicle and just see the total.

Cons

the times for the jobs sometimes could be better and more accurate.

Michael

Real Time Review

Average

Average

Pros

Easy to use.

Cons

Not enough new content for quite a long time. The software has become stagnant and has many holes.

Response from Dowell Systems

Michael - Thank you for your honest review and for the high marks in Ease of Use and Customer Support. When you say that its time for some new features, we really can't disagree. We are beta testing a new integrated payment feature now that will be released to all users shortly, then a full suite of features soon after. Do you have a couple feature suggestions that should be at the top of our list?

Maurice

Good entry level product

Reviewed on 2023/03/02

Pros

Cheap.Easy to use.Cloud based.Great for small startups

Cons

No QuickBooks integration.No way to “offload” transactions.Product is stagnant, no significant features added for year.Not very scalable It is easy to out grow the product which is sad.We will have to go to something else soon if we can not find a way to integrate with accounting software.

Randy
  • Industry: Automotive

Great software for a great price

Reviewed on 2020/05/26

Pros

I love this product. It makes doing my repair tickets easy

Cons

Sometimes finding the actual repair type is a little bit difficult due to the way they are categorized.

Response from Dowell Systems

Randy - Thank you for your honest and glowing review! We tried hard to setup the categories in a way that makes sense. Don't forget to use the keyword search if you ever have trouble finding something in the categories.

Ryan

5 star review for real time labor guide

Reviewed on 2020/05/26

I use the system almost everyday. Its easy to use, understand and very affordable.

Pros

The ease of use, the price point. It was super easy to train my secretary on how to use it.

Cons

Sometimes there are specific labor operations that are not on your software but others such as identifix or michell ondemand.

Response from Dowell Systems

Ryan - Thank you for your glowing review!

Mark

Repair options

Reviewed on 2020/05/28

Great

Great

Pros

Very user friendly and your are able to customize certain things. I work with farmer so the tax exempt button is nice

Cons

Sometimes the repair performed option are not always there

Response from Dowell Systems

Mark - thank you so much for your honest and glowing review! We're happy to have you as a customer!

Harold

owner

Reviewed on 2022/12/01

terrible

terrible

Pros

nothing the labor time is wrong , if you are a shop you will go broke with this labor time

Cons

pricing, you will get screwed, on real time labor guide

Justin
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Shop Estimates

Overall, very satisfied.

Overall, very satisfied.

Pros

you can easily add parts, misc., labor and can go in and update/edit the document anytime

Cons

Inaccurate labor times for older Caterpillar engine related repairs

Response from Dowell Systems

Justin - Thank you for your honest review and we are happy to have you as a customer!

John
  • Industry: Automotive

Nice labor guide for the money

Reviewed on 2020/06/02

Overall it is pretty good. I have stuck with it because it is close with most things I work on.

Pros

Simple to use, easy to navigate. Gives three levels of pricing.

Cons

Biggest issue is sometimes there are operations that do not apply to the vehicle selected, and nothing that applies. It would be nice for a 1% increase per year to compensate for dealing with rust. I do this manually as I live int he rust belt and a 50+ year old car defies the labor guide, I don't care what guide you use, but customers want estimates down to the penny.

Response from Dowell Systems

John - thanks for the honest review and for being our customer all these years!

Brandon
  • Industry: Automotive

Is perfect for shops that dont want to spend a fortune

I have used it for 8 years and have been completely happy

I have used it for 8 years and have been completely happy

Pros

Professional look to the invoices and custom logo

Cons

More custom vehicle optionsalogoas I work on a lot of odd vehicles and trailers

stephen

tca

Reviewed on 2020/06/08

Pros

easy to use and labor rates broken down into sections

Cons

some labor guides not accurate search engine never works

Steve

Gets the job done

Reviewed on 2020/05/26

Pros

Easy to navigate. Mobile friendly. Allows to adjust time and pricing

Cons

Only being able to create a work order at the end of the process

Response from Dowell Systems

Steve - Thank you for your honest review and the high marks you gave us. You're right that you can only print a work order once the ticket has been finalized. We should look and see how to give you the ability to print one that is partially completed. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jeff
  • Industry: Automotive

Great guide for Estimates.

Reviewed on 2020/06/08

Real easy to use and a quick guide.

Real easy to use and a quick guide.

Pros

Inexpensive and straight forward. I use this a lot to compare with extended warranty companies like Mitchell or Alldata.

Cons

Some items missing or times off compared to Alldata, etc.

carter

You need this for your repair shop

Reviewed on 2014/06/17

I started using the labor guide as a 2nd opinion - for 10 bucks it was hard to pass up, and I didn't have to sign a contract so I could cancel if it didn't work out. I am so happy I did - this guide have made us so much money. I always found that it took me 15 - 20 min more to do a job than the other guys tell me it should take. But Real Time seems like they tell you what it will actually take to do the job, instead of what the other guys think it should take. And if there is a big difference between the two, I call them and they help me out. It seems about 50/50 in the rare times I have to call - half the time they admit they are off, half the time its the other guys. Even if they are off, they say they will fix it. Try getting the other guys t do that.

The program is really easy to use, and the customer service folks are great, and I pay for this program several times over with their labor times. I am looking forward to their update where I can save my tickets and bring them back up later.

Joseph

great product and affordable

Reviewed on 2020/06/04

Pros

It is very easy to use and teach others to use. The cost is very fair.

Cons

would like to add a repair order that can be tied to the estimates and invoice