Applied Epic

Business management system for insurance agencies

4,2
3,8
4,1
3,9
4,3
Tyler M.

Best P&C Insurance Tool on the Market

Reviewed on 2019/04/20

Pros

Epic is an easy tool to use whether you’re using the service side, admin/reporting side or using the accounting features. Since working at my current company, I’ve used it for all three. It’s structured and easy to train on.

Cons

I wish that Epic had a better Benefits setup. I’m hopeful that with the recent purchase of TechCanary Applied will be able to provide a better Benefits tool.

Colle H.
Industry: Insurance

Tough to learn, lots of great tools

Reviewed on 2020/11/08

After getting used to the new work flow created with this platform I thought it was great for lead management and reminders for daily tasks. It was not the most friendly for the sales process when it came to wanting to quickly go through your work flow.

Pros

I think the managerial positions like this platform a bit more than the day-to-day salesman. It can run a lot of useful reports and does a great job with lead management.

Cons

It took a while to learn and get into a good work flow. There are a lot of extra steps added in the sales process to appropriately document that I think could be better streamlined.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Douglas M.

Best of the Available Agency Management Systems

Reviewed on 2019/03/08

Over all I think EPIC s ok, but it clearly does not live up to its name as being "EPIC"
Personally I think that Vision did many things better then EPIC, specifically when it comes to search ability of attachments.

Pros

I like how EPIC has built upon its predecessors TAM, Applied and Vision so that some of your past experience on their older systems can be applied to the new system. Attachments and emails are very easy to add to the system to be stored.

Cons

Many features in EPIC are worse than they were in previous versions.
1 - Attachment Folders were much better in Vision then Epic. Easier to find files than it is now
2 - canceling a policy in Epic does not change the expiration date on the policy in Epic as it historically did in Vision.
3- The attachment sorting and search function is worse now then in Vision.
4 - Many functions within policy acords such as import and export are not accessible from some screens that they should be accessible.
5 - System still lacks any real visual way for tracking in process items in ways that are popular with software and program developers.
6- System lacks the ability to easily store underwriter contacts information on a global level
7- Sending emails from within Epic lack most of the functionality within Outlook including signatures.

Wesley G.
Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Great Product for Mid-Size Brokers in the Insurance Industry

Reviewed on 2020/11/05

Overall for any agency that is over 50+ employees I would recommend Applied Epic as a great tool and resource to run your agency. Applied offers this product as backbone to the ongoing success of your agency.

Pros

Applied Epic is an extremely complex and semi-customizable client management AMFRS system for the insurance industry. Epic offers a product that works across every aspect of your agency from client management to Accounting to Prospecting.

Cons

This product requires a heavy investment to really gain the needed benefits of this AMFRS system. Thorough training and proper admin management are a must to ensure the long term feasibility of this product. As much as I like this product I strongly feel this product provides the most benefits for a mid to large size agency to fully appreciate everything it has to offer.

Michael L.
Industry: Insurance

I used this program at a different job.

Reviewed on 2019/08/23

Pros

This is, by far, the best Insurance Agency Management Software! Everything is easily accessed. Great integration with email services. Extremely organized layout. I miss using this product and will certainly advocate it at every step I am able.

Cons

I dislike the fact that my current employer is not using this fantastic program. As mentioned above, I will advocate for the use of this product at every step! Great job Applied.

Wayne P.
Industry: Insurance

Epic will transform the way your agency operates.

Reviewed on 2020/04/14

Overall Epic is what I would consider the best in the industry. They continue to reinvest in the platform and build or acquire companies that will complement the platform. They have purchased IVANS to help with download which works well with Epic. Indio was recently purchased to help with application completion and eSignatures as well as vehicle, drivers, and equipment schedule reviews. Epic is fast and lightweight to install and use on Windows computers. We have had a really great experience using this software and we have no plans of switching from Applied Systems Epic anytime soon or probably ever.

Pros

We used Applied Systems TAM for many years and Epic was such a needed upgrade. With Epic all of the limitation and hurdles you had in TAM were gone and a ton of new features were instantly available. The product keeps getting better year after year. The 2019 release brought in lot of new tools one of which was being able to change producer commission with a reassign utility. Doing something like this in the past was days worth of work and payroll to get it done. Now it is done in moment. There is also lots of cloud features available in Epic with sales automation dashboard, Indio sync, CSR24 integration. Epic also works great over the internet. We recently had to send all of our employees home to work and Epic is working just as good as it did in the office. I can’t say enough good things about Applied Systems Epic. It is a great platform for your agency to use and grow with.

Cons

The biggest down side to Epic is the amount of time and money it takes to migrate from your old management system to Epic. Even if you were starting out brand new there is a lot of initial software configuration required to get the system up and running. Things like when these system events happen what else should happen, and activity defaults need to be configured, the list goes on and on. However, Applied System will assist with this initial setup for a fee. I do recommend you use them for setup or find an expect that has worked with Epic before. Getting Epic setup properly in the beginning will keep you from having a lot of other problems and save time in the future. Employee training is also a big hurdle to over come when switching or going live on Epic. Make sure your employees take the time to do all of the training ahead of time it will help a lot. It took us about a year to have all of the staff comfortable using Epic. With all of this being said changing management systems is always going to have similar issues.

Brianne H.
Industry: Construction

Why Applied Epic over all others

Reviewed on 2019/03/08

Transitioning from Applied Agency Manager (TAM) to Epic was not a quick process, it was often times painful but I can honestly say 18 months later, it is worth it from all angles (service, production and management). The support network (which you must choose on your own to use) in place to assist you in any avenue is superior to all other products I am aware of, you just have to make sure you are taking advantage of them.

Pros

My most favorite parts of the software center around the built in workflows and the ability to keep the "story" of an item, the account, a renewal etc. all together in one place. It takes a lot of time to set the system up correctly when you migrate to Applied Epic, but 18 months later, we have received wonderful feedback from an outside consultant about how we are using the system properly, the way it was intended. If you are not using it the way it was meant to be used, you are not going to reap the benefits of what the software really are.

Cons

My least favorite piece of the software are the reports/report layouts. It takes a lot of practice, use and analytical thinking to piece together the reports you need into a format that is most useful for you. It is rare that one report will provide the information needed but rather a combination/review of two or more reports to get to the data you really want...such as retention. That being said, I do believe Applied has helped eliminate the reporting frustration through their Applied Analytics tool.

Summer P.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Applied Epic for Commercial Insurance

Reviewed on 2019/12/04

Pros

It is user friendly and easy to navigate.

Cons

It would be nice to be able to search for a customer by partial policy number if you do not have access to the full policy number. Also, it seems to crash quite a bit

Laurie S.
Industry: Insurance

EPIC is great for working anywhere

Reviewed on 2020/02/06

I have been working on EPIC for 4 years, switched from TAM, very easy to use and E&O friendly.

Pros

I like that you can't make any changes without it being documented in the system and that you can do searches in the attachments & activities

Cons

I do not like to email option within EPIC or the proof of Insurance options, it can be quite confusing

Industry: Insurance

Good System, slow at times.

Reviewed on 2020/09/24

Overall I think it's a good system to use for insurance purposes.

Pros

I like that this system is pretty easy to learn. It also has good features for the company that I work for to use.

Cons

It's not easy to get somethings working properly. Such as, sometimes downloads don't go through for certain companies making it hard.

Katherine W.

Applied EPIC 2018

Reviewed on 2019/03/14

I've used Applied products before, and EPIC with a prior agency. When we moved to EPIC with my current agency, we were coming from an antiquated system, that was very cumbersome and not at all user friendly. We also had to have separate rating system, separate document management system, and were unable to download with most carriers. Now with EPIC, we download with most of our carriers, documents and rating are all handled within EPIC. It has really made servicing our clients much more efficient. Finding information is also greatly improved. Everyone is very happy we made the switch. I do recommend Applied EPIC to everyone!

Pros

It's user friendly. New staff can get up and running within a short time. They have great on-boarding training on-line. The product can be set up the way the agency wants to use it. After the online training is completed, we just need to fill in the agency specifics for our agency. Everything is contained in the one product. Client and Policy details, document management, rating for PL, follow up system, etc. We don't need several different systems and try to get them to work with each other, it's all in one. No system is perfect. But EPIC met all of our needs, and handles our needs the best out of all the ones we looked into. The User Group is great! Very helpful when questions come up and you need help from other agents on how to handle problems/issues. A great resource. They are also responsive when there are problems or issues, they get fixes done pretty quickly.

Cons

No system is perfect. There are some documents that we would like to use in EPIC that have check boxes, but when we put them in EPIC, the check box functionality is disabled. The reporting can be a bit overwhelming as a new user. It takes time and working with it to get comfortable. There are other hiccups as well, but overall, we're still very happy with our decision.

Katie M.

Pro Epic

Reviewed on 2019/11/26

I have been very happy with Epic and its ease of use. Coming from a much older operating system this one is amazing!!! The help that is available by just giving them a call is also fantastic. Applied is great at getting back to you with any issues and offering solutions and fixing the issue.

Pros

It is ever evolving. I love that Epic understands what we as users need and what the experience our customer need and want to have. I love that the system has many AUTO features that can work in the background. The fact that I don't have to drag and drop emails in all day is awesome. You send the direct from Epic and the email is automatically attached. I like the text feature. That is not utilized in our office however I do think it is something that can and should be used.

Cons

My least favorite thing is also a Pro but some times can be a huge flaw. Cloud based!!! Great for most of the time But.... the moment the internet goes out we are dead in the water and can not answer any calls.

Robert S.

Highs and Lows

Reviewed on 2019/03/06

Applied has the best support and if you don't think that is important try living without it after you become accustom to having it, I did and spent several thousand dollars to come back to Applied. The speed and quality of the answers from their staff is second to none. The cost of Applied is not cheap but neither is the quality of the product and service. Except for a short while ( which I regret) we have been using them since 1990 and I can't ever see us leaving.

Pros

The software is very comprehensive and will do virtually anything you need to do for your agency except payroll. The work flow is logical and records all information you need to provide service to your clients as well as protect the agency from E&O. Downloads work very well and save a lot of time.

Cons

It has a lot of controls some of what I think is redundancy. I may feel this way because we are a small agency and it is built to serve all. I would like to see a payroll section, Quick books seems to be able to handle it with no problem at a low cost.

Denise C.
Industry: Insurance

Worth the switch but you need patience

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

Our president loves the sales pipeline. It gives him the opportunity to visually SEE what the sales people are doing on a weekly basis which he loves. If you want to grow your sales and see exactly what's going on with each sales opportunity then EPIC is the way to go.

Pros

I like that with the sales part of EPIC, you can customize to exactly how your agency handles it's sales pipeline... it's NOT one size fits all... you can adjust how many stages in the sales pipeline, what the stages are called, reasons for not getting a sale, etc.

I also like the quick reports. I have so many people who ask me for reports all the time. I don't want them to access to run reports but I can set up the report they want and send that report to them so they can run it whenever they want.

Cons

On the accounting side, it's very unforgiving... you have to do things exactly EPIC's way and that can be VERY confusing in the beginning since its so different from TAM especially how commissions are entered. So you must be patient, go slowly and don't try to rush because then you create more problems. Also, make sure your accounting dept is fully involved in the configuration... ours wasn't and it created a lot of problems in the beginning that we're still sorting out.

Worth the switch from TAM

Reviewed on 2019/03/22

We are nearing 8 months post activation and finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and overall benefits. Lots of customization appeal that we hadn’t had before, and the system allows ease of attachments and data sharing that we didn’t have before. Customer support and on boarding/pre configuration could used some improvement.

Pros

Epic is much more comprehensive than its predecessor TAM, and a much more interactive user experience. I am able to customize the system much more than before, both on an individual and administrative level. On the admin side, we were able to set various security groups, and select user/department access as visibility which had previously been more difficult in TAM

Cons

Customer support is tough, and getting the right answer depends on who answers the call. There was also a large learning curve in the beginning, and the on boarding provided by Applied was not as comprehensive as I believe was necessary. Also, it was sold to us with capabilities for a Benefits system, which is not quite the case and had to be built out on our own. The biggest complaints from our account managers were the number of generated activities and tasks, in addition to system locks.

Sheila C.

Epic-Review

Reviewed on 2019/03/18

Epic has really streamlined a lot of our work load, and automated much of it. the downloads have everything on our system easily and accurately

Pros

I like how once you a familiar with epic there are many useful tools with it and how it flows, the ability to move files within in just a few clicks Epic is great. The integration of client detail on to the documents your preparing is a great time saver as well. Also loving the ability to copy and paste off of attachments, once I have a bill of sale there is no need to type out the vin# several times as i'm processing my changes.

Cons

Really I don't find anything I would call negative about Epic, although it really took a while to get use to the program and all its features, I certainly felt like I was little overwhelmed at first, but now I would not want to go back to our old system.

Patti C.

Applied Epic is a Must Have for our Office

Reviewed on 2019/04/01

Applied holds a conference every year. This conference allows agencies to learn new things, new tips & tricks. The number of learning sessions offered during the 4 day event is unbelievable. In addition, Applied has it's own client support group called Applied Client Network. This network allows anyone to reach out for help from other end users. Of course Applied has its own IT Dept, but sometimes it's nice to talk something thru with other agencies.

Pros

We transitioned to Applied Epic from another Applied product, and our office loves it. Epic is truly a windows based program and can integrate with different products and software from other vendors. Plus it can be customized to your agency's specific needs. It's a must have for any agency looking to remain relevant in our digit world.

Cons

Applied Epic has some built in "hard" limitations. I understand that those limitations are built into the program to keep everything consistent, I just wish that as the system admin I could override certain things and make it do what I want it to do.

Jeanie F.
Industry: Insurance

Our company recently transferred to Applied Systems EPIC and it has streamlined our whole company.

Reviewed on 2018/03/16

It benefits our whole company by helping us streamline our processes and implement strategies that benefit us and our clients in so many ways.

Pros

We recently changed over to EPIC. It did have a few bumps along the way but the customer support was A+ and they sent us support to train us in person which was a HUGE help so that we could all train and learn properly and have a real person explain things to us. The program does help us streamline our processes and keep up with our clients so much easier. We can send out emails for business as well as to send holiday and birthday greetings/coupons and out clients do appreciate it. We can keep track of notes on each client as we service them and attaching documents couldn't be easier! We needed something like this and the name EPIC is perfect for this program.

Cons

There are the usual bumps along the way when you are learning a new program, but the customer service is what really made the transition smooth.

Lisa G.
Industry: Insurance

Easy to use and great to work in

Reviewed on 2019/07/23

Overall outstanding

Pros

It makes tracking our accounts easy and it is very user friendly

Cons

Tedious to do accords- other software much easier on this particular feature

Laurie F.

Applied EPIC Review

Reviewed on 2019/07/16

I definitely prefer Applied TAM over EPIC. TAM is so much easier to use and way less steps

Pros

There isn't a whole lot I like about this software. Way too many steps involved in each process

Cons

You can't just "endorse" a policy without having to go through numerous steps. Having to "submit, leave in process or issue" and endorsement or policy is an extra step that you shouldn't have to go through. We shouldn't have to "endorse" a policy to amend a date of birth or change the spelling of a driver's name. Way too many steps to cancel a policy. We should be able to make simple changes without having to endorse, then update to submitted, then issue. Way too many steps for simple tasks that actually don't involve an actual endorsement

Danielle D.

A Must Have for Agents that do alot of Marketing

Reviewed on 2019/10/14

I like the product. It's like TAM 2.0. It's a must have if you are doing alot of marketing within your agency.

Pros

I love the marketing capabilities. You are easily able to input and track which markets you have sent accounts out to and what has come back. It helps alot when you are working with a team and someone needs to handle your accounts when you are out of the office.

Cons

Sometimes the fields and screens can be confusing especially when you are still learning the software. It helps when the administrator can remove unnecessary steps/screens you don't need to use.

Steven B.

Epic Review

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

Epic has been great for our agency because we can customize things for our program. We write a specialty insurance program, so other softwares don't work for us. Epic does work for us because we have the customizable features that we can gear for what we need.

Pros

I like the customizable features you have the ability to do. I like how it does not look you in to a set way of doing things. As well as Custom Forms, they are truly so beneficial to specialty programs.

Cons

One of the cons is the cost of the software. It is a big pill to swallow, but if you use the features, it is well worth it in the end.

Jean S.

The best Agency Management System

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

The reporting in epic is top notch. The reports give us a great advantage in running our business.

Pros

The reporting capability. I chose this product over others because accurate reporting is most important to us. Also the customer service is live and immediate. They are great.

Cons

I don't like that I can't get a report (like I had in TAM) where it annualizes 6 month policies for me. I have to pull the entire book of business into a spreadsheet and annualize the 6 month policies myself. I don't understand why TAM could do it but Epic can't, it's ridiculous.

Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Functional in some ways

Reviewed on 2019/07/19

Pros

It is user friendly. Clear and easy to understand. The reports are nice to have.

Cons

The certificate process is redundant. The box checking is ridiculous. Everything takes 3x as long. The accounting is not fun either.

Likelihood to recommend: 6.0/10

Epic rev

Reviewed on 2019/05/08

Pros

I like the following information in regards to the use of Applied Epic: Lookup features, modern look, sign on ease, online training, Sales dashboard. Also I like how the certificates can be renewed and to choose to carry over the holders.

Cons

There are several things that can be complicated. For receipts of payments, I do not like having to enter the same information (check #, payment amount, company) multiple times. The fax is harder to use due to having to choose from information in the system only. The premiums do not show properly on the screen. When attaching a document to an activity, it does not show it also that you attached it. It does not show the company on an activity on the home screen. This is important for me as for some activities you have to check on them in the company and I like to group it together.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10