PostgreSQL Reviews

PostgreSQL

Open source relational database management system

Nairoby
Nairoby

It's free!

Reviewed on 2018/07/31

In my very particular opinion I feel comfortable working with Postgres for more than 10 years, it is reliable and safe, the best thing is that it is free, which allows you to save on licenses, it is ideal for any type of development. I totally recommend it

Pros

- Free code database manager, which is not used for licensing.
- Easy to install and configure in any operating system.
- Ideal for relational databases.
- It has a large community in which you can share doubts.
- It is stable and reliable, scalable and secure with the correct user management.
- Can work with small and large databases.
- Handles the SQL language.
- Being free software, it is compatible with several graphic tools that help administration and database design. I particularly recommend working with PgAdmin in its latest version for postgres 9.6.6 onwards.
- Easily works as a cluster, can be configured as active-passive or active-active which improves performance
- It allows to perform maintenance, recovery of databases.
- I have tested the installation and use in Windows 7 operating system and Debian version 6 to 8 and works without problems.
- Likewise I have worked in postgres since its version 8.1 to 9.6.6 and a positive change has been noticed and performance improvements, but I insist on the point at which the databases should be fine designed.

Cons

- Many people declare it as slow in insertions and updates compared to others Managers, however, that will depend on how well designed the database is.
- For some, not having support online or with an official help center can be a big disadvantage.
- It is advisable to have command knowledge to work on consoles and terminals to perform a good configuration

• Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Java developer on PostgreSQL. A look back after several years.

Reviewed on 2022/07/16

I have been using PostgreSQL for 6 years in most of the applications I write. It is my default choice for a relational database.

Pros

PostgreSQL is a database that every programmer is familiar with. I value its versatility and universality. It's easy to implement it production-wise with not much scale.

Cons

Great for simple applications, when it comes to scaling/replication problems begin.

MongoDB

Reasons for Choosing PostgreSQL

I changed jobs and the new job used PostgreSQL.

Reasons for Switching to PostgreSQL

PostgreSQL was easier to learn for most team members.
Pedro
Pedro

database alternative to mysql

Reviewed on 2019/09/26

it's a really good database manager, easy to use and the community version is free to use in a commercial environment

Pros

in general is a good database manager like MySQL you have many functions and one, in particular, the notifications, you can send a notify and it's like a broadcast message, useful for interaction with the backend

Cons

the way how to backup and restore is sometimes complicated, we tried to automatized and sometimes works others not, the same script! and because of that, you can have an empty DB

Osman
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Postgresql_02-07-2022

Reviewed on 2022/07/02

Pros

Postgresql is the best database system to store data.

Cons

The most usaged features is an extensions. I think that this features should include to standard postgresql distribution.

MongoDB and Oracle Database

Reasons for Choosing PostgreSQL

Postgres is fast and great if you design your application correctly.

Oracle Database

Reasons for Switching to PostgreSQL

It is very famous and it has great and large community.

Powerful database

Reviewed on 2020/10/18

Excellent database engine with a lof of features and great overall performance. It has a very huge community so you could get help very easily. I'd recommend to use it.

Pros

Highly recommended. It's the most powerful database engine I ever worked with. It has a lot of features that I used and worked very well: postgis for spatial searches, full-text search, partitions, etc.

Cons

At some point, we start having problems with very slow queries, and after some debugging we discover postgres decided to use the wrong index to perform the query plan. Probably because of bad stats but from time to time the problem happens again.

• Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

PostgreSQL is the best open source database

Reviewed on 2020/01/30

I used another database for a large Brazilian bank. It was not a free database. The migration was excellent.

Pros

PostgreSQL has several advantages. It is lightweight and reliable. Search filters are very easy to understand. People who know the basics of the SQL language can do several queries, since PostgreSQL assembles selects. I can change it within the table itself, so I don't need to do the update command. On top of that, it's free and open source!

Cons

Sometimes the connection to the database drops (internal server error 500), and it is necessary to connect again. When the query has many records, the data return is slow. They are the only negative points of this tool.

Abbas Yusufzai
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Postgre SQL.. Best 2D spatial database tool for geologists.

Reviewed on 2021/06/05

It's a pretty reliable database manager that provides for excellent data management and a very comprehensive security implementation, as well as the installation of procedures that make data integrity easy to maintain.

Pros

One of the advantages of this manager is that it is simple to install and has a free license for various distributions and operating systems. It also allows you to configure the manager according to the team requirements. Other capabilities include the ability to run read-only queries while in recovery mode. pg-Admin, for example, is a graphical application that allows us to simply administer our database. It is a great resource distribution for complex queries, very adjustable, allowing it to be tailored to the needs of individuals who use it, Allows you to limit the number of incoming connections to avoid timeouts caused by developers.

Cons

Indexing is some times very slow. Also database syncing or importing and exporting database is some time a headache. Apart from that, I don't see any major shortcoming in it.

Nothing but praise for *the* SQL DBMS

Reviewed on 2019/12/11

We are running tens of Postgres databases and we have no reason to switch.

We are running tens of Postgres databases and we have no reason to switch.

Pros

It's been reliable beyond all expectations. Put your data in Postgres, you know you'll find them when you need them.

Cons

VACUUMs are a big performance penalty, and the default auto-vacuum settings aren't always optimal for all use cases.

Reasons for Switching to PostgreSQL

It's more performant, stable and has more features.
Maryury
Maryury
  • Industry: Banking

Database Manager PostgreSQL

Reviewed on 2018/09/13

In my experience using the software I really liked that it allows adding custom functions developed using different programming languages.
The integrity of the data and the referential integrity of the foreign key are maintained. It has allowed me, in an easy and secure way, the asynchronous replication of the databases for an alternative center in case of disasters.

I did not like it is that when I have any doubt about an error presented in the system where the database is working, I can not clarify it because there is no specific place to which, because and com solve the error.

Pros

PostgreSQL allows to control high concurrency, offering security by domain definitions, who can access the database server, the backup copies of the database can be made completely or only a table, according to the request, restorations and tasks maintenance, in addition to replicate in case of disasters.
It also allows to activate triggers to execute in tables or views in special cases or eventualities.
It has a friendly graphical interface for the administrator, through which they can be done from the creation of the database, to execute query querys and updates of the data, if necessary, you can have details with the status tool of the server referring to the queries that are executed in the DB (if there are locks, duration, etc.).
It allows the development of robust and efficient Databases

Cons

There is no online or telephone support. Only official forums are available where users expose their doubts that other users of the community respond to, ademas it consumes many resources

Rahul
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Quality review of PostgreSQL

Reviewed on 2023/09/29

Pros

- Good management of data tables & possibility to have service of multiple Servers

Cons

- Great to improve user interface & SQL query error classification to make easy accessibilities of data.

Sanchit
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

One of the best to manage DB connections

Reviewed on 2019/10/17

Pros

We have been using this software for a couple of years after we faced a lot of issues and freezes in MySQL. This is comparatively much much more smooth and handles multiple DB connections and inter-switching with no lags or hangs.

Cons

We were more accustomed to the MySQL interface so found a few minor UX improvements that can be done here but overall it's still good.

Aníbal
Aníbal

PostgreSQL is powerful and robust, it fits perfectly in large projects

Reviewed on 2018/07/07

With PostgreSQL I have been able to perform my work satisfactorily on multiple occasions, my bosses and I are happy with the results we have obtained, saving hardware investment costs because we have focused on the database, I hope to have future benefits to the use it in projects for own clients.

Pros

I really like PostgreSQL I have used it several times for large projects in my previous works and in the current one it is used as a database for the web page of the institution, the power of PL / pgSQL is excellent, it allows me to program commercial layers in the database without any problem this improves the response times of the final applications and allows investments in hardware in the database servers instead of in the application, the management of schemes is perfect. It is important to mention that it is free software that implies having a large database without licensing costs. A feature of PostgreSQL is the multiversion concurrency control that allows transactions consistent with time, which provides great performance advantages. PgAdmin is a graphical tool with which I can manage different databases easily and intuitively, execute SQL statements, as well as create backup copies or perform maintenance tasks. Another thing that I like about PostgreSQL is that it is available for many platforms, it is possible to install it from the repositories of the Linux version that I use. It should be noted that the PostgreSQL user community is one of the most active in the market

Cons

There are some things that I do not like about PostgreSQL, permissions allowance per user can be annoying, I have had to work many times on this and it is difficult, it is also relatively slow when I insert and update small databases. The official support does not have telephone or online support, although there are official forums available where users can express their doubts to which other users of the community respond. The syntax of some of your commands or statements may not be intuitive if you do not have a medium level of knowledge in the SQL language. I have had problems migrating from a PostgreSQL version to a higher one. Compatibility is sometimes relative.

Solid database, but not user (or even admin) friendly

Reviewed on 2021/09/25

Pros

It's a solid database tested over the years by half of the world. Whatever features you need it has it.

Cons

You'll often need to Google for the exact command you need to run, the docs are very dry and the syntax is unconventional.

You'll suffer greatly trying to write code to access the database.

If you want to upgrade, scale, or do anything significant with a large production database you're probably best off hiring a specialized consultant - it's risky and not easy.

daniel
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

"PostgreSQL: Ease and Efficiency in Application Development

Reviewed on 2023/10/23

From the first time I tried this software, I knew it stood out. All my databases now reside in it, not just for its efficiency, but for the sense of security and trust it gives me. Even when running it on less powerful machines, and experiencing some slowdowns, it has always delivered on its promises. I've been with it for nearly 7 months and have no regrets; it's been a solid choice for my projects

Pros

I started using it because of my university and I was instantly charmed by how user-friendly the software is with its tools. I have two databases and it has never let me down. Its security is good and the information doesn't get lost.

Cons

Throughout my journey with PostgreSQL, I've had moments of love and frustration. While I adore its sturdiness and the features it offers, I've stumbled a couple of times with its performance in specific scenarios. Sometimes, it feels like that reliable old car you know inside out, but occasionally takes a bit longer to start. Despite the minor hiccups, it remains my go-to companion when I want my data to be safe and well looked after

Rafał
Rafał
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Postgresql (psql) is a great way to start with "serious" RDBMS

Reviewed on 2022/05/17

Postrgresql was a DB engine for our retail stores cashier system. TCO was 20% compared to Oracle (including hardware and support). Fast, flexible and with great support of programming languages, with API compatibility helped us to run a full scale retail chain (16 offline stores) with real time stock management in our online store.

Pros

+ scalability
+ SQL compilant
+ security
+ open source (free but not without costs)
+ offers more field types than mysql
+ API compatibility
+ low TCO - cheaper than Oracle (but with similar performance)
+ great programming language support (Python, PHP, C++ etc)

Cons

- free (open source) does not mean witout costs. Sometimes it is very hard to find a specialist that can properly handle PG issues
- not present at most of hosting services (but you can always run a virtual machine on AWS EC2)
- less tools for data manipulation/analysis compared to MySQL

Pinki
Pinki

Best RDBMS for microservice structure

Reviewed on 2023/02/20

Its been very good experience to use postgres. Very easy and very effective to manage data. As we have microservice architecture so need lots of database of individual services and with postgres we reduces cost of licensing.

Pros

This is very easy to use and manages. Easy to handle JSON data type and having lots of data type available. Table partitions available for increasing performance.

Cons

Creating store procedure are still very complex and not good as compare to sql server.

Paul

The best database offering available

Reviewed on 2020/03/04

Excellent. The documentation is complete and well-written.

Excellent. The documentation is complete and well-written.

Pros

PostgreSQL is standards compliant, performant, high-quality, easy to use, well documented, innovative and feature-complete.

Cons

Replication still has a way to go compared to some competing offerings, but additional software can be used to fill in the missing features.

Petr
Petr

Object-relational open source database

Reviewed on 2019/07/22

We use PostgreSQL mainly for heavy load projects because to high write performance due to its MVCC approach, it largely eliminates the need for locking, and that the database effectively meets ACID principles.

Pros

Supports functions where the results are suitable for use as with tables. We can define own aggregate and window functions on that.
Includes built-in support for B + tree, hash, GiST, GiN and custom index types.
Support access using a system known as Multi-Version Concurrency Control (MVCC).
Native support for many data types including XML support for Xpath queries or UUID.
User defined objects, posibility to create new types of almost all objects in the database.

Cons

Possible worse performance in read operation.

Danny
Danny
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

PostgreSQL is a free and robust relational database management system

Reviewed on 2020/03/28

With PostgreSQL we can manipulate our databases that contain large volumes of data. The main benefit is that it is completely free. Also, there is no limit amount for users that can be added in the administration of the database. Another benefit is that it is compatible with different programming languages.

Pros

I like PostgreSQL for different reasons:
- It has flexible implementation options.
- Large volume databases can be stored.
- It is possible to have multiple databases on a single server and have different configurations for them.
- PostgreSQL is completely free.
- Its base language is SQL, making it very easy to manipulate.
- It has excellent administration toolkits.

Cons

I dislike PostgreSQL for different reasons:
- I don't like that the more detailed documentation is only available in English.
- It has a high CPU consumption.

Manasseh
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

PostgreSQL is an Open Source tool of the highest caliber for Database Management.

Reviewed on 2023/09/15

Nowadays, I nearly always utilise PostgreSQL for my projects. It is incredibly durable when utilised in my engineering sector both at business and with home projects, yet versatile enough to support my speedy deployment of web apps.

Pros

I love using PostgreSQL for the following main reasons, firstly databases with a lot of data can be stored, it is possible to have different settings for various databases on a same server and on top that it costs nothing to use PostgreSQL since it is an open source software.

Cons

One of the drawback of the PostgreSQL is CPU usage is rather high.

Isak

Open source relational database with lots of features

Reviewed on 2022/10/12

Pros

Open source. Offers a rich set of features and extensions. Available as fully managed database on most cloud platforms.

Cons

Some cases, often involving large sets of data, might require some advanced knowledge in order to run properly/performant.

MongoDB and MySQL
Goran

Best open source database for enterprises

Reviewed on 2022/09/29

We use PostgreSQL as RDMS for our custom made solution for customers\projects without dedicated enterprise RDMS.

Pros

It supports advanced database features like partiotions, scalability, optimized concurrency management, security.
It is offered under MIT-style license.

Cons

It is difficult to troubleshoot PostgreSQL.
Not as widely used as My SQL for example, not as active community

PostgreSQL is more advanced and offers more

PostgreSQL is more advanced and offers more
  • Industry: Renewables & Environment

PostgreSQL Review

Reviewed on 2023/09/25

I highly recommend PostgreSQL, i have been using it at work and at the university

Pros

First, it is open source and wildly used database, it is customizable and scalable

Cons

It does not contain a customer service because it is open source but of course you can find ur answers on the internet and platforms

• Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Best SQL for Analytics and in terms of speed.

Reviewed on 2019/04/10

By using PostgreSQL as backend database for our large applications which uses large amount of data then selling that applications to customers we are getting benefits.

Pros

PostgreSQL is the best I can say. Its performance is very fast in terms of getting data and inserting data. Means if we are inserting entries in bulk then it would do it in a good speed as compared to other databases. It is very good for Analytics and it has good tooling than other databases. It supported many other features like using of arrays which is not in MySql so I would say it is good database to use to make applications.

Cons

The big disadvantage is it takes more memory than other databases if you have many connections and replication is bit difficult in PostgreSQL which might get easy in future updates else it is a good software.

Samantha
Samantha

The best SQL and open source database.

Reviewed on 2018/06/07

Because range queries are integrated, it is much less effort to query compared to MySQL.

Pros

It is fast and reliable, manages inserts and updates of tens of thousands of lines impeccably. PostgreSQL implements SQL standards very well and supports advanced SQL stuff, the PostSQL database works very well with hibernation HPA and we have been using it extensively together with the Spring framework, the consistency is also very good, you will never lose data or lose data. JSON support in the latest version has made things easier for us now, since we do not need to migrate the schema as always before.  Finally, the backup methods through pg_dump are easy to use and ensure that you can always back up before any major changes.

Cons

It is not very intuitive, in my opinion, and I think those problems must be solved before I can get the kind of traction that MySQL has, also more open sources admit mysql but not postgres. These are some of the problems with postgres.