Classcraft

Learning management software with gamification and analytics

4,2
3,8
3,8
4,3
James C.

Classcraft to Gamify your classroom

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

The engagement of my pupils with Classcraft has been a hit for a number of years now. My principal, fellow teachers and parents have all commented on how "into it" the pupils are.

It's a teacher's best friend.

Pros

I like so many features of this product that it's difficult to pick out just a few. Mostly, it is the fact that my pupils have never failed to be hooked by the gamification aspect of Classcraft. Even the most unmotivated students get a glint in their eye and end up modifying their behaviours thanks to Classcraft. The ability to edit and use your own positive and negative behaviours is great. The random student picker - Wheel of Destiny - is great. Random fun events (also editable) is a winner with the pupils. Parent participation is welcomed. It's cool graphics and avatars make this a hit with grade 6 and up as many other types of behaviour games seem to babyish.

Cons

I am currently using the Free version and would love to upgrade to the full version as it has so many amazing features. Unfortunately, accessing the full version outside of the US makes the monthly fee just too expensive for countries like mine with a high US dollar exchange rate.

Ulises M.

Learn playing the new era of teaching

Reviewed on 2018/06/28

In the foundation in which I work one of my assignments is to give workshops on technologies and technological tools, it is for them that you always have to find a way to innovate then in conversations with a friend about communication and information technologies. theme of the gamification and from that moment I dedicate myself to see its potential and among that search I managed to find this platform which gave me a great experience both at the time of improving my workshops as well as the attention I give to the people They carry out these workshops.

Pros

This is what education needed since the traditional methods are already out of the attraction of the students that is why the fact that the students can get into a character in which they feel more comfortable than in the traditional classes can achieve a better attractive to them, as well as the possibility that they can play at any time they have free is an incredible potential

Cons

One of the great controversies with the digital world and the new era of teaching like Elearning is that students are immersed in this world and lose contact with other people but in this platform participation can be stimulated through the different means of communication, as well as that we can be aware of what the students are looking for by having a better monitoring of the other weaknesses is for them that I think that this platform is a structure of which I like everything.

Rusty W.

Engaging Students But Fades Fast

Reviewed on 2020/11/10

Pros

Students want to have rewards and achievements to further their character. Keeps engagement for a while. Great gameifying features.

Cons

Steep learning curve. Students lose interest if the teacher is not using it all the time.

Alison W.

Innovative, appealing to students, and exciting, but no easy way to test if the software is for you.

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2017/10/11

Pros

I was looking for a new way to run my classroom and settled on gamification. Minecraft was all the rage, so a quick internet search led me to Classcraft. It seemed like a natural choice, so I decided to set up an account and do some testing. Already in my last unit of the year, I picked a few students to use who I knew would be more than happy to give feedback. I liked that it made things very interactive, that you could start the class with events, and use that as a warm-up activity, and that quizzes were like battles. It seemed like it would really speak to my 6th graders. The software was slick, and a great idea. Finally, the cost for the full version of the product is very reasonable.

Cons

While I thought that Classcraft would be just what I was looking for, the free version did not allow me to see the capabilities of the system. I was able to build an infrastructure, but could not set up events, or quests. Even though I was able to setup the students, some students who confirmed their "account" in the class, did not show in the class, and since I was not a paying user, customer support was not very helpful, mostly recommending that I upgrade to a paid account, because then they can assist with setup. I was also unable to get it to integrate well with my Google Drive setup (almost) required by the institution at the time. These things made it very difficult for me to test out the software to petition my department for the funds to upgrade which I would have done, had I been confident that I was going to utilize it enough to justify the money, which was reasonable for the full version product.

Nick A.

Good LMS for Gamification

Reviewed on 2018/03/27

A nice tool to manage the classroom, enhance student engagement, and add elements of gamification. Helps keep students interested. A way to implement a badging system would also be useful.

Pros

The overall feel. Truly a gamified layout and experience for those seeking to add elements of gamification to their classroom as well as mirror gaming experiences. I also enjoy the option for students to choose their avatars/personas and being able to enhance/upgrade their characters as they gain experience from completing classroom activities/homework/projects/tests, etc. There are even options to have random "daily events" take place that affect the students. Neat feature.

Cons

A lot of moving parts for the teacher to manage. This is simply set it and let it do everything. The teacher still needs to leave feedback, apply damage, use events, applying experience points, and more. This isn't a deal breaker for me as I gamified my classroom in the past using Schoology, so the manual work I needed to do didn't scare me off. But this is something to keep in mind as it can be daunting. Maybe if there was a way to make this a little more efficient and automated?

Kelsey E.

This is a great positive reinforcement and behavior management tool.

Reviewed on 2018/06/06

Pros

The kids get really involved and interested in this program. They are excited for the daily challenge and getting points.

Cons

It is a lot to keep up with as a teacher and sometimes feels like it is too time-consuming in the classroom.

Meiby P.

Gamifitation in the classroom

Reviewed on 2018/03/27

It is an excellent application that allows you to work with the concept of gamification allowing one as a student accompanying the student through a role play that takes care of their task and works with concepts in a playful and entertaining way.

Pros

The game has many advantages making it more attractive to students to be able to identify with different avatars and customize them to their tastes, they can also play in different devices to be compatible with several operating systems giving greater comfort so that the student feels more motivated by play and learn.

Cons

It seems to me that it works with the weaknesses that the LMS platforms have, since in this it fosters the bonds of union between the students as well as with the teachers since each one plays an important role when playing.

Chris M.

Fun Classroom Management

Reviewed on 2019/04/22

I liked the interactive capabilities of Classcraft. The students enjoyed seeing how their behavior could lead to increased abilities and customization.

Pros

I have used Classcraft in the past with my 7th grade students. I believe it helps to "gamify" classroom behavior. One of the highlights was the encouragement the students received from their peers. I enjoyed being able to help keep a well-managed classroom while students enjoyed acting in a positive manner.

Cons

For our purposes, I think 7th grade might be the upper limit for applicable age for Classcraft. It might work better with 4th-6th grade students. For our school, it was also a little expensive for classroom management. Our administration liked learning from it, but did not continue our subscription.

Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Good if you have the time to implement it

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019/12/26

I liked using it for a while, as my classes didn't really give me lots of time in order to implement it into my lesson plan. Also, I used it with young adults and even though they liked the idea, it would have taken more effort to make them feel like it was something new and innovative. Also, having phones out in the environment I used the software was a no go, even if it was for academical purposes.

Pros

- Students become motivated as it is a game
- Ability to divide students by groups, send messages and have different activities customized for your classroom

Cons

- The payments options being only in USD can hit pretty hard if you don't live in the USA.
- It takes some time to get used to all the features the site provides.
- If some students don't have phones you need to do everything manually for them, and that can take some time away from your teaching.

Andrew G.

Classcraft

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/11/16

Classcraft is a nice option to have available for students that want it although it is not a one size fits all program.

Pros

Classcraft is a fun engaging spin on increasing student achievement within the classroom.

Cons

For younger students or those with minimal experience playing role playing games, they may have a hard time finding the tool useful.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Candace O.

As a student, Classcraft made my American History class so much fun to be in!

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2018/07/19

I and my peers were much more engaged in the classroom due to Classcraft. We reaped the benefit of always paying attention and therefore, a higher retention rate of information. My teacher was able to make subject matter more interesting through Classcraft, and engage students in an exciting rewards system that includes a fun review game in which the class works together to fight an in-game boss.

Pros

I love the gamification of the classroom. Getting a question correct in class is always a positive experience, but being awarded points for it is incredibly rewarding! I also enjoyed that we could pick what our character looked like, as well as our team crest. In addition, being able to use our XP on in-class rewards was such a great idea (for example, my teacher offered things such as candy or "Singing A Duet with Another Teacher" as prizes). I love being in classrooms that utilize Classcraft, and I know my fellow students and teachers love the program as well.

Cons

My only issue with Classcraft was that the "random name generator" always seemed to go in the same (or at least, similar) order. Perhaps this was a coding issue or something off on my teacher's end, but it was always pretty easy to assume who would go when.

Ashley L.

Engaging Classroom Tool

Reviewed on 2019/07/17

This takes classroom gamification to the extreme! What child wouldn't want to be a video game character, work as a team towards goals, and see their progress? Classcraft found the hidden treasure in classroom management!

Pros

You can't deny children's love for video games. Classcraft takes that, and turns into a perfect educational and behavioral tool. I love that students can choose roles to help their team, this is a great team building tool! I love that this goes beyond behavior, and can be used for classwork as well!

Cons

The only issue I had was the ease in uploading classwork.

Justin F.

Class Changing

Reviewed on 2019/01/30

Pros

student engagement
cost
ease of use
lots of tools
integrated with Google Classroom

Cons

I can't say anything bad about this program.

Company size: 10 000+ Employees

How a teachers love for Video Games turned into a teaching tool

Used Daily for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2019/04/19

Very easy to use and it helps to create a friendly non-threatening class atmosphere. Especially good for dry subjects such as math.

Pros

that it makes doing classwork fun, gives students a chance to work together in a non-threatening way. The motivation is higher and students get to compare their fictional characters.

Cons

As nice and user-friendly the software is, it is based on the first wow effect. Students often get bored with it, and sooner or later they are looking for something new.

Erica P.
Industry: Education Management

Great product if you have a little extra time

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/12/06

Classcraft is a good motivational tool, especially for those who are trying to gamify their classrooms. However, it is expensive and time consuming. It also requires adding incentives tied into leveling up in order to keep kids interested.

Pros

My students really enjoyed the fate of the day and leveling up.

Cons

It requires both class time and time outside of class to manage the student data and keep kids motivated. Plus, my students really wanted the premium features, so I had to pay, and it is not cheap. A couple of my students were not allowed to participate due to the magic element.

Robert P.
Industry: E-Learning
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Turn-key solution for classroom gamification

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2018/12/14

Pros

Integration with Google, create own power ups, tools and features like student selector, wheel of fortune and boss battles, and the drip-feed quests!

Cons

Limited maps...loses appeal to kids when more than one teacher uses same maps for different curriculum.

Chris N.

Classcraft-For the HORDE!

Reviewed on 2018/12/17

Pros

I found this product to be a very useful way of engaging a number of my students in our subject matter. Attaching these systems to literature and allowing the students to have a more appealing way of measuring their success worked well.

Cons

It's somewhat focused. I had a number of students who just found the whole principle "too nerdy." This isn't the software's fault, but it's something to be aware of.

Industry: Financial Services

Overhyped

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/12/18

Pros

You can make your students do extra work and they will be motivated to accomplish it.

Cons

It was slow to use and hard to use for students, and the mobile website is terrible.

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

Eric K.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Classcraft can engage your class

Used Other for Free Trial
Reviewed on 2020/02/07

It was fun to use in the short-term but I don't envision using it for an extended-length of time.

Pros

My students enjoyed the game based approach to learning when I used the free trial. It generated some excitement and competition that motivated my students learn the material we were working on.

Cons

I wish it was not a subscription based model. I wouldn't use the features enough to justify an annual expense.

Industry: Education Management

Easy and fun way to engage your audience

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2019/10/26

Classcraft is a great way to engage your teen and tween students with being nore responsible for their learning.

Pros

That students can earn items to upgrade their character. It makes the Gamification more personalized.

Cons

That it was a little complex for my younger audience. I wish it had a little more kid friendly version.