Screencastify

Screen record, edit, and share within Chrome browser

Sarah M.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Screencastify in Anderson One

Reviewed on 2021/01/08

I have been using Screencastify for four years now. I love how it continues to update and add new features that teachers find useful. The video editor has been one of my favorite additions that I use regularly.

Pros

As a K-12 Instructional Technologist in Anderson One, I rely on and use Screencastify on a regular basis. I use Screencastify to record how-to tutorials for my teachers, administrators, and even parents and students in our district. Screencastify is very easy to use. I love the ability to edit my video and upload to YouTube all within Screencastify.

Cons

I would love the ability to record my screen and have the option to also have my webcam showing me in the bottom of the screen. We have seen this option in Loom and would like it added to Screencastify as well.

Jeheen mahmood Z.
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

A basic screen recording tool for on the go use

Reviewed on 2020/08/10

I used to take lots of screenshots, annotate them, add them to lengthy chats or emails to explain tasks to my remote employees. It was literally the most time-consuming task of the day for me. Screencastify managed to cut this time by over 75%. I could simply record what I was doing and explaining my thought process for them to follow without any deviation. It saved my a lot of work hours, cant thank enough.

Pros

This was my first screen recording tool and I must say it did the job pretty good. I haven't used it in some time, so I can not discuss the current features. But I can easily say it, Screencastify did make my life a lot easier. I used it as a chrome app and it was very light and fast. It was very easy to start the app and do a short clip of recroding for explainer video.

Cons

I used the free version of Screencastify and it had a limited video duration of 10 minutes. I had to break my tutorials into 10 minute long segments. There was a total video per month limitation too, though I never reached thar. It was a bother splitting videos in to 10 minutes segments, but on the other hand, I was using the free versioin of the app and cant expect everything they have on the paid plan.

Paula K.

Screencastify

Reviewed on 2021/02/23

I have been extremely pleased with the free version of Screencastify. The time limit has not been a problem.

Pros

Screencastify is an easy and straightforward site to capture screen recordings of all things on your device. Makes for powerful learning videos.

Cons

I wish I could change the default setting for the share feature of all my videos instead of having to do this one by one.

• Industry: Public Policy
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Screencastify is awesome!

Reviewed on 2019/03/18

I use it mostly to record any procedures or even any task that I want others to get done. I show them step by step on what to do so that there is no room for misunderstandings and everyone is on the same page.

Pros

It is so simple to use. Just download the extension and viola! Whenever you need to record your screen with voice-over just click on the extension, choose your preferences, click record select which tab or screen (if you have multiple screens like I do) and wait for the countdown. And yes, you are able to choose how long you want the countdown to be. Once you hit zero you can start speaking and showing others whatever you want. This is great for tutorials and how-to videos. Once done you just click on the extension button again and select the "stop recording" option and it gets saved automatically to your google drive if you are online and when you are offline it will just save it to your computer. And that is it! I love using it for when I need to explain how I use whatever new software my company is trying to adopt and it helps me record the process so that I don't need to repeat myself when teaching others how to use the new software. I simply record my procedure and send the google drive link to everyone and they can view it wherever they are and whenever they please, repeating it, pausing it and downloading it like any other video. It doesn't take much space and it is very easy to understand on the first go. I recommend it widely.

Cons

You have to use it with chrome only. There is a limit to the length of the videos and you can only record a certain number of videos a month unless if you pay of course. The free version also adds a watermark to the videos but its small and in the corner and you hardly ever notice it.

Shane P.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Just keeps getting better...

Reviewed on 2018/08/31

I use it for quick tutorial for teachers, reflections for students, recording directions. It's great for screen recording or making presentations with audio!

Pros

I've been using this product for about 2 years and it just keeps getting better! First off, the free version is great! What you get for nothing is hard to beat. The ability to quickly screen record a lesson, tutorial, etc. is awesome. And it's so simple to use. I also love that it links seamlessly with my Google Drive and other social media platforms. They are constantly providing helpful updates, as well. Plus, their customer service and help site is very helpful.

Cons

Due to fact that they update so often (which is good), it is difficult to keep up. Nothing major really changes, they just keep you on your toes with all the simple updates and changes they make!

Mary S.

I love that it can easily capture and store videos on google drive.

Reviewed on 2017/06/13

It's helps increase my productivity and communication between myself and my accounts.

Pros

I love that it's an extension in Chrome. The ease of saving videos in my Google Drive and sharing those links is definitely the biggest advantage.

Cons

The UI feels clunky at times. It is sometimes slow to start and while I understand that may just be my connection, the lack of an offline option is also a drawback.

Response from Screencastify

Hey Mary, thanks so much for your review! We truly appreciate it.

One quick note - Screencastify does work offline (though of course you won't be able to save to your Google Drive until you go back online). So even if you're offline, just click record and everything should work fine - though again the video will only save locally until you go back online.

Please let me know if you have any questions or trouble recording offline.

Thanks again!
James

Bryan P.

I used this to make screenshots/videos

Reviewed on 2018/07/19

Pros

I liked the ability use keyboard shortcuts and to do screenshots or videos. The mark up features were useful as well to point things out to clients we send shots to.

Cons

I found that my library would get fill rather quickly and that many times we would have to remove old shots in order to take an share new ones. Sometimes when that happens the old videos we had shared were cut off and no longer visible.

Paula M.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Great for instructional videos

Reviewed on 2020/10/11

Overall, it has been great! The videos automatically upload to my Google drive making it that much easier to share them with my students.

Pros

I love that it captures my viewboard screen so I can share examples with my students. I did not need any extra equipment and it took about 2 minutes to allow permissions and I was ready to record.

Cons

The share screen label will not go away. I can move it, but it is a distraction when I have to move to continue working out a math problem for my students.

Emily G.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

A Great, Simple Screen and Webcam Recorder

Reviewed on 2020/07/21

Through online teaching, Screencastify has been a staple of communicating with my students and families. It’s so easy to click a Chrome extension and start recording right away. The five minute limit on the free version can be a little challenging to plan around, but with unlimited recordings, it’s easy to overlook. I highly recommend using Screencastify!

Pros

Screencastify is extremely easy to use, allowing people to save recordings of their screen and WebCam very quickly straight onto their Google Drive or to their computer. The free version only limits you to five minute videos, but you can still save unlimited amount of videos, so that’s not a huge drawback! The program also has some quick editing tools, such as trimming and saving your videos as GIFs, but you’ll have to pay to get more of their editing tools.

Cons

There are not a lot of drawbacks to this program, the only one I can think of being the five minute recording limit.

Jeff A.

Great, but there is similar products that are free!

Reviewed on 2020/11/05

I have used this a bit, and its been great. However, with a free premium version for educators, it would be hard to choose this over that.

Pros

Screencastify is a great product. Very easy to use. Has a great extension. It is an easy way to reach out to students via screen recordings.

Cons

When COVID happened we scrambled to start putting things into place. Loom became free for educators and students for life! Side by side they are identical, but Loom is FREE, which is a game changer in school districts.

Amber R.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Must Have Screen Recording Software

Reviewed on 2020/10/11

Amazing! Can’t believe I ever tried to make screen recordings without it!!

Pros

Screencastify is one of the best softwares I’ve purchase for recording videos of my work with overlaying of my voice and video content. Originally I got the free trial to test out the software. I loved it and even with the free trial Screencastify let’s you record 5 min videos! In order to make longer videos for school, I made the purchase and haven’t looked back. I haven’t found a product that makes it so easy to record your screen and edit in other aspects. Must have for teachers and/or assistant teachers.

Cons

I haven’t found any major issues with screencastify. The only major downfall is that it just isn’t very compatible with mobile devices so you have to have a pc or laptop.

The best screen recorder I've used

Reviewed on 2019/12/18

I use Screencastify in my small IT services business and freelancing doing user testing. It's perfect for recording instructional videos for clients and submitting user tests that involve screen recordings.

Pros

It has a lovely, intuitive UX. Most screen recorders are pretty simple, but this is another level of simplicity and elegance. I love the way it looks and love using it.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any big cons. It's hard to complain when the software is this well-designed and free to use!

Marc R.

Screencasting made easy

Reviewed on 2017/11/21

Pros

It's super easy to use.
You can store your videos straight to Google Drive.
You can crop the videos after you have finished recording.

Cons

The video editor does not have a lot of features. I find missing a "Merge" functionality, to combine several screencasts.
Also, a plugin for other browsers -it currently supports Chrome- would be useful.

Lisa L.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Great way to create a voiceover video

Reviewed on 2019/12/12

No problems that I can think of. I finished my project in record time and had professional results.

Pros

I thought that Screencastify did the job well. I needed a way to record my screen as I went through a PowerPoint presentation and it did great.

Cons

There was a little learning curve, but that's to be expected. I thought it was really useful and am continuing to use it.

• Industry: Consumer Goods
  • Used Other for Free Trial

Simple UI!

Reviewed on 2019/12/13

Sharing internal and external videos. Screen Recordings

Pros

Makes presentations simple. Feel like I could show this to anyone and they pick it right up it is that easy! Like that you can share HD videos and the quality is seamless!

Cons

Dont like that it is limited to chrome and that the free version adds their watermark to the videos

Daniel V.

Almost Perfect

Reviewed on 2019/09/14

For the purpose of showing students hoe to do things on the computer, the watermark is not a big issue. As a result, this is an asset to those in the field.

Pros

Having a screencasting application that works directly off of the Chrome browser is so nice. You don't have to worry about filling up space with saves.

Cons

It does cost monthly to get the watermark off of the screen. It's not terribly expensive, but if you don't want the watermark it does cost.

Alison N.

Great for recording lessons

Reviewed on 2021/01/25

Has been helpful in this day and age or online teaching.

Pros

I have liked using this to record various lessons for my K-2 students. Easy to choose which view (whole screen, you in the corner, or just you). I like recording stories and load them into google classroom for them to view at their convenience.

Cons

I wish the sound from my computer would record without external speakers, but it's easy enough to get around.

James H.

why can't I present?

Reviewed on 2020/03/25

tried to record a power point presentation for my students ---- wasted a lot of time.

Pros

how easy it was supposed to be.... It's simple appearance.

Cons

I can't record a PPT presentation.

No guidance to find recorded videos and not even sure videos were recorded. I did the same presentation 3 times .... no actual video to edit, post, or link.

I wasted hours on this.........

Steve W.
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Easy, free (ish), good

Reviewed on 2019/02/05

We used screencastify to create some video SOPs for new employees so they could learn how to perform some basic tasks without taking too much time from more senior workers. The platform is easy to understand, doesn't break, and produces videos exactly like what you're looking for.

Pros

It is easy to use via chrome extension and the free version has almost everything you need for short videos.

Cons

If you're going over a certain time limit (10 minutes last I checked) then you need the pro version of the software. Also there's a watermark, for those who are anti-watermark or want people to not think you're cheap.

Lavanya C.

Screencastify is among my favourites in screen recording

Reviewed on 2018/03/16

Pros

No installation! The Tab recording option and ease of use is what I like the most about it. I can highlight certain features of our product and explain the working easily to clients(and send demos)

Cons

Editing the videos is a bit difficult and I'm using a different tool for this. The merging of videos shows some glitches at times.

Fabio G.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Very good, very simple

Reviewed on 2021/01/14

Pros

I never made a screencast before, and with screencastify I learned how to do it in 10 minutes

Cons

Some competitors has slightly better features (trimming, fast reproduce...) but overall I like screencastify very much

Mark M.
  • Industry: Information Services

Nice tool

Reviewed on 2018/11/18

Pros

I use the chrome extension, to create short video's for colleges to show how things should be done. Easy to use, autosave to drive and share with others!

Cons

For video a greet tool, but for making screenshots I use a different tool that is more easy to use.

Luke A.

Forget recording via Google Meet

Reviewed on 2020/11/20

We had to find an alternative for using Google Meet's native screen recording when it was made a premium feature and Screencastify not only replaced it but surpassed it. It's very easy to use, I can annotate the recording in real-time - good for highlighting or drawing moustaches - and quickly edit and export it afterwards.

Pros

Screencastify is so easy to install, easy to export and has some great editing and instant scribing features.

Cons

The only downside is that it's limited to Chrome.

David S.

Amazing product - highly recommended!

Reviewed on 2017/06/13

The ability to quickly and easily capture screen recordings on my Chromebook and share them via Google Drive.

Pros

Easy to use, automatically uploads to Google Drive and creates a sharing link with 1 click, allows cropping duration or part of screen, selecting to record tab or whole screen, audio from tab, user or off.
I've tried lots of other screencasting offerings and this is by far the best I've used. Soon after purchase I got in touch with some questions about how to do a couple of things and they were prompt and polite and answered everything. Seriously, this software is amazing and I use it most days and love it!

Response from Screencastify

David,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm really glad to hear about your positive experience.

Please do reach out if you have questions or more feature requests in the future!

James

Janet S.
  • Industry: Libraries

Screencastify the most versatile screencasting software

Reviewed on 2020/09/29

This one tool provides more opportunities than almost any other for onsite and distance learning. It's easy to learn, easy to install the extension on Google Chrome, and offers integration with Google Classroom and the ability to export to YouTube. Great all-around video tool

Pros

My school district provides the upgraded version of Screencastify and it has been the best tech tool for teaching during Covid. It allows teachers to show students how to navigate a webpage, allows them to record with their face in the video or not, and offers so much flexibility for sharing information with kids. The editing tools are easy to use, and the options for exporting the videos are robust. This is an easy tool to use with so many possibilities.

Cons

I wish my blooper recordings could go away easier--I always feel guilty having the recording process and then putting it in the trash can!