Figma

4,7 (368)
Collaborative platform for UI designing and prototyping

Luke A.

It's hard to remember life before Figma

Reviewed on 2021/12/16

We were previously using a combination of Sketch, Zeplin and Invision - Figma is all three in one, and more. If you need a tool capable of creating anything from advanced and scalable design systems to facilitating whiteboarding sessions, Figma is the obvious choice.

Pros

Powerful but intuitive to use
Aligned with code development process - easy for developers to reference, comment and lift assets as well as code snippets
Always evolving
Advanced design system management is easy with Figma

Cons

It's hard to find any negatives. The presentation of prototypes could have more options for screen size - sometimes you want to zoom out and it's hard to do so since there are present display options

Zeplin, Sketch and InVision App

Reasons for Choosing Figma

Sketch enabled us to create interface designs but not present our work or effectively hand-off or collaborate with developers. Zeplin helped us hand-off to developers but not create, collaborate, or present. Invision helped us present but wasn't amazing at handing-off to developers and there was no ability to create. Figma did all in one.

Zeplin, Sketch and InVision App

Reasons for Switching to Figma

Figma was more closely aligned with how we code products and allows us to create, collaborate, prototype, test and present all in one cost effective package.
Jaime K.
  • Industry: Design

My favorite UX prototyping tool.

Reviewed on 2021/12/09

Improvements with smart animate and transitions, everything, it's just evolving at a fantastic rate, while proving to be the most reliable/stable solution I've found.

Pros

Switching from other editors was incredibly straightforward, and I love the reliability and versatility of the software. If I'm in the middle of a project and switching between desktop and mobile solutions, everything is accessible so long as I just have a browser. The graphics editing tools/features are robust, and increasingly more fleshed out each iteration.

Cons

I feel like there are elements of the file structure/organization that could be improved upon. I had to edit some buttons that had become attached to an animation sequence I'd created, the icons should've remained stationary but were migrating with the animation between frames. I eventually figured out my issue but it wasn't as intuitive as I'd anticipated. Somehow the icons had become inappropriately nested in another group, which was probably my issue, though once you achieve critical mass on that level it's difficult to keep track of where you are.

Vincent D.

Its power and weakness is being web-based

Reviewed on 2021/04/29

Pretty good so far, unless I get to work on huge files.

Pros

Iterates upon Sketch and bring is great collaboration tools and finally fixes the way too long problem of sharing design files and syncing document versions.

Cons

It consumes a lot of resources, in a big design document it does crash or slows down the whole system which can be quite painful at times.

Laerte J.

Best UX/UI draw platform

Reviewed on 2021/12/21

The overall experience is very good and the features outweigh the problems. We have a team of 10 using the software and 4 developers and everyone can use it without any problems.

Pros

The best feature of Figma is the collaborative tool, where all the team can work together and at same time. Another great feature is the prototype tool, making possible animated prototypes with great quality and shareable to everyone to test on their own devices.

Cons

Comparing to other softwares like Sketch, Figma has a problem with importing vectors. If you want to import a vector or image, you need to export it as SVG to later import it to Figma and if you are using Sketch you only copy in illustrator or another software and paste in the sketch.

Caio C.

Figma is the best design tool nowadays, no brainer option.

Reviewed on 2021/12/22

I love Figma and recommend it for new and experienced designers.

Pros

Very good tool, fast, reliable and web based, free version works very well and paid options have more features that are great too. I really like using figma for all my digital projects related to design, building apps, websites and full functional prototypes.

Cons

Limited in the free plan but it is understandable.

Mark oliver R.

Web Development

Reviewed on 2021/12/06

Pros

this is one of the greatest collaboration tools ever created, having a ui/ux designer create on this and easily sharing it with the developers is like a piece of heaven.

Cons

having to many canvases cause the site to lag.

Povilas B.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

The implementation drawbacks

Reviewed on 2022/01/18

I don't know the proliferation extensions significance nor its stipulated - rather presumed, at least in my opinion - economics patents infringement dispute since its outcomes; though it lacks technical support to its evict zones for general market competition since the law of competition & competition council.

Pros

It reminds me the lack of technical support for the counteracting student - the presenter - in terms of college international competition on business tasks; the firm was similar phonetically label titled, though the presenter had in mind general hostility to the in his mind unprotected student. The Figma comeback was significant in terms of their re-stipulation capabilities.

Cons

The necessity to come back bringing in some new fresh winds is the limiting factor to this piece of software. It lacks general understanding that distances them from physics faculty into the web design, dedicated at least to the product development; instead, internalizing it to the core concept thus betraying the BEST competition society.

Michael M.

Great tool for design and concept work

Reviewed on 2021/12/02

Very pleased. This is the tool I never knew I needed until I used it. Now, it's indispensable.

Pros

I love that it's organized, easy to use, easy to work from when I do software development. I can drill down to specific design elements and immediately know which icon, font, or sizing to implement. I can be on the phone with our Product experience engineer and watch him change things as we discuss them. Terrific tool!

Cons

It takes a long time to load sometimes and seems more sluggish than it should.

Juan manuel C.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

The Ultimate Prototyping Tool

Reviewed on 2021/12/20

My experience with Figma is more than satisfactory, it allows me to make mocks and user experiences very quickly and comfortably

Pros

Figma is all that is right, it has a multiplatform application, it has its web version, it allows to build prototypes, it allows using files from others and for example having templates (Bootstrap). And it is free.

Cons

The only thing I find against is the learning curve. If you have never used a tool of the style, it may be a bit difficult to understand how to assemble the panels and how to work with the tool.

Ganesh shankar V.

Very Intuitive to Design Product Wireframes

Reviewed on 2021/08/07

Figma is an essential part of our product building workflow. As a product manager, I convert all the ideas to wireframes using Figma and the designers expand upon it to create the UI prototypes for the engineering team to work on. The key benefit of Figma is that it is a one place tool for all our design activities - UX prototyping, Idea Wire-framing, UI assets & guidelines etc.,

Pros

Figma has a large community that built a variety of plugins, templates and design formats that make the job a lot easier for both wire-framing and prototyping. The product is extremely intuitive with a good exponential learning curve that enables a new user turn professional in a very quick time. It is the best in the market when it comes to integration with businesses. It's strong API support help us connect with a variety of tools including Bravo Studio that help us launch small apps with zero-code.

Cons

While the community plugins are huge, discoverability of the plugins can be improved a lot from the existing version. The default tools in the app are too abstract that a new-user might find it difficult to create things from scratch. As far as integration is concerned, Figma should have a marketplace for all the interesting integrations that a user can go through and pick the ones he/she is interested in.

Robert J.

One of the best software products on the market

Reviewed on 2021/07/21

The perfect tool for advanced designers, for marketers, to get things done fast. Institute it in your company and you will not regret it.

Pros

I work as a CMO, Head of Marketing or just as a plain Marketer with people of various skill levels and levels of expectation when it comes to design tools. Figma just happens to be the preferred favourite for people at both ends of the spectrum. Both very advanced and experienced designers and complete beginners enjoy it.

It is robust, easy and does not take a lot of computing resources to start up the app or to get things done. Collaborating has been made relatively easy and there are plenty of options. I have found myself working with Figma with people with whom I am on the phone, on Google Meet calls or we just watch each other moving about in Figma and leave comments when we have to say anything.

It is a new form of co-working - or rather it is the old thing but it finally works.

Cons

When they start increasing the price of this thing. Watch out. That is the thing to be afraid of - limiting features and raising prices to an unreasonable level. I actually do not want the product to be free but sensibly priced and I am worried it goes down the road of being overpriced by some revenue optimisation geek and overengineered to become slow because too many remote dev teams are working on too many features.

Matthew B.

Unbeatable design collaboration

Reviewed on 2021/05/21

Overall, Figma is an extremely powerful tool that allows for next-level collaboration with teams and users and so much more. It is a world class design tool that competes with the very best of the other options out there. I'd even say it comes out on top of Sketch.

Pros

My overall favorite feature in Figma is the real-time collaboration on design files. This is invaluable to us in collaborating with other designers, product managers, and development teams remotely.

The prototyping tools are amazing as well. I have created some pretty complex prototypes and I still haven't reached the full potential of what Figma's prototyping tools can do.

The organization features (pages, files, projects) are very flexible. This allows us to create an organization structure the way we need it to work, instead of forcing a rigid structure on our team.

Reusable component variants are a game changer! As is auto-layout for making components adapt to the content inside them as it changes (i.e. a button grows as you type text into the label).

There are so many more things I could mention too!

Cons

Some features can be a little tricky to learn. Auto-layout, for example, took me a while to get a grasp of and I'm still not sure I have a full understanding of how to use it.

Reasons for Choosing Figma

We needed to create higher fidelity designs than Balsamiq allowed for at the time.

Balsamiq

Reasons for Switching to Figma

Sketch is Mac only which was a huge limiter for us because many of our team uses Windows machines or Ubuntu. Figma's real-time collaboration and being that it is cloud based made collaboration simple for all of our team.
Paul S.
  • Industry: Design

Figma finally grows into a suitable Sketch replacement

Reviewed on 2021/03/08

Figma has grown into a proper design tool rivaling Sketch and XD. It beats Sketch by being available on both Windows, macOS (and probably anything with a modern enough browser) and it definitely beats Adobe XD by having a logical and familiar UI and just working as expected (for some reason I've had troubles with XD every time I tried it).

Pros

Cloud-based, works on both macOS and Windows, very easy to collaborate and/or share design files across the team or to the client. Coming from Sketch, the UI is very similar and I was able to start designing with virtually no adjustment period. From what I understand, interactive components with independent animation states should be released soon in 2021 — that should make Figma a suitable replacement for the Sketch + Principle stack I use currently. Being able to share design documents, animated prototypes and specs within a single service would be a killer-feature.

Cons

Subjectively, on my 2012 Macbook Pro 15-inch with Retina the app may run slower than desired sometimes. Overall can't think of anything in particular that I wouldn't like.

Reasons for Choosing Figma

I started working in a team that used Figma for their projects. Also, it may soon have build-in components animations (states) that are not available in Sketch

Cloud-based, 3 free projects, rising popularity
Daniel W.

Figma: The Ultimate Design Tool

Reviewed on 2021/03/12

Figma has grown over the past years to become a fierce competitor in the field of software design. It has incredible collaboration features and offers numerous photo editing, prototyping and plug in capabilities. Personally at my team use Figma for creating a prototype of our apps by visually mapping out the user interface. For a very reasonable 12 USD a month per user, you can create unlimited projects as well as access nifty business features such as custom permissions for users and an unlimited version history. On top of this there are many new updates coming out each month that improve Figma continuously. For me, it is easy to see why I and many of my co workers have switched to Figma.

Pros

From the efficient collaboration to the snappy and responsive user interface, there’s simply so many good things about Figma. To begin with, Figma is a web application which makes it is easily accessible for anyone with internet and a computer. Another benefit of this is that there is no need to install updates and that everything sync automatically every time the page refreshes. Then there is the desktop application which allows for the offline use of Figma among other advantages like a customisable colour palette. Furthermore, the constraints and vector networks make it exceptionally easy to manage vectors and customise the finished product. Another reason to consider Figma is the sheer amount of keyboard shortcuts. When I first found the list of keyboard shortcuts on Figma I was astounded and started to learn some of them. I can definitely testify that they speed up my workflow a lot! Using all of these features, I am able to create high fidelity prototypes that I can confidently present to a client and they can see an accurate visual representation of some software. Above all, the most amazing thing is that Figma is absolutely free to use and the business version is at a very reasonable price.

Cons

There are few problems with Figma and many of the previous problems have been eliminated through monthly updates. One problem is that as Figma is relatively new and the plugin system was only implemented late December 2019, the plugins available for Figma are less diverse and abundant, compared to other softwares which have been around for much longer.

Abdelmadjid H.
  • Used for 2+ years

Excellent tool for building beautiful mockups

Reviewed on 2021/02/13

Figma has quickly become our main UI development tool.

Pros

Figma is really focused on Web UI which sets it apart from generalist tools like Adobe Illustrator. I also really appreciate that it is built as a Web app, making it totally platform-agnostic, unlike industry-standard Sketch which is limited to macOS. A lot of effort has been put into how easily assets can be imported, like for instance how adding SVG objects is only a matter of drag and dropping SVG files directly from the local filesystem. Figma really feels and operates like a native app, with all the benefits of an online service.

Cons

There's very little to dislike about it. I guess the biggest con is that it can be hard to operate in an offline environment.

Justinmind, InVision App and Adobe XD

Reasons for Choosing Figma

Figma is better suited to the development of Web/app mockups thanks to its layout-centric inspector panel and component-based paradigm.

Adobe Illustrator

Reasons for Switching to Figma

We evaluated a ton of UI design tools and Figma was the only one to check all the boxes. The tools are more intuitive and powerful, it's web-based, fast, and the pricing is very competitive.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Figma is an excellent choice for efficient design processes and development handoff

Reviewed on 2021/01/21

I'm on a UX team for Finance performance solution software. We work on difficult products with lots of unique problems to solve on a daily basis from admin screens to analytics visualizations to bringing excel-like functionality to web-based solutions. Overall, Figma lets us collaborate and work quickly with tight deadlines and agile teams that need to also understand what we are designing.

Pros

Figma is easy to learn, and available on any computer thanks to its web-based capability.

Versioning comes in very handy, as well as commenting, sharing, and fairly user-friendly prototyping features.

Figma is affordable, but scalable. You can have a very robust UX team utilizing it. It's a user-friendly wireframing and prototyping power house.

Cons

While it's easy to use, there's still a learning curve. I was a Sketch user, and Sketch is still faster to design in.

Also, if you want a really complex prototype, it can get tricky.

And, having a local version of Figma is still cloud-based. So, working offline will give you limited capability.

Reasons for Choosing Figma

New job - Different companies using different tools.

Adobe XD
Jakub H.

Extremely flexible Sketch alternative

Reviewed on 2021/01/15

I am amazed by Figmas progress and ease of use. The auto-layout feature is ultra-fast in comparison to Sketch and even much more flexible. This paired together with an extensive API makes Figma a great tool for rapid building MVPs and generating sites (and even apps) directly from Figma.

Pros

The speed which Figma is operating is incredible and the possibility to have it working in any browser is great. The best feature at this point the the very advanced auto-layout function and the benefit of seeing fonts rendered actually in a browser - so there come no surprises later at development time.

Cons

Shortcuts and plugins are a bit of a pain. You can not remap shortcuts at this point and plugins can be installed and used, but there is no way of "hiding them" or "deactivating" when not used and the menu list gets way too long.

Reasons for Choosing Figma

We needed a collaborative tool to design without any hustle and also to be able to send designs easily for client review. Ultimately also the developer handoff is much quicker since all values can be viewed directly in Figma so there is no need for another hand-off tool.

Reasons for Switching to Figma

Priceing (and free tier) and better prototyping options.

Incredible

Reviewed on 2020/10/11

Amazing. Figma has sped up many parts of our design process and enabled non-designers to contribute meaningful feedback more quickly into the design process. It's also enabled team members to quickly create visuals for things that don't require a lot of design oversight (eg. social media visuals). It gives a lot more power than Canva and at a lower price.

Pros

I can't believe software this good is available for free. Figma provides every single feature you need to create great user interfaces, advertisements, documents, and any other design you could possibly want to create completely free. We use the paid version of Figma which allows a large number of collaborators as well as a few other high-end features. While there is a bit of a learning curve, Figma is surprisingly easy to learn for non-designers with just an hour or two of video tutorials (I used Udemy). Once you understand how to manipulated elements of your design, even a design newbie can churn out some pretty incredible designs very quickly. This software is a godsend for marketing teams. With traditional creative suites like Creative Cloud, you end up going back and forth with a designer - in Figma, anyone can pop in and contribute their thoughts in real-time. Our marketing design team has moved to doing the majority of their work in Figma now and it's been unreal.

Cons

A few challenges have popped up with Figma. First, when you begin collaborating on designs in the cloud, there are times where you end up sharing a file with someone who doesn't have a Figma account. I would be nice if files could be more intuitively shared online with people who don't have a Figma account - especially if those people could drop comment pins on designs. Another con would be that because it is cloud-based software that's doing some pretty heavy lifting, it does tend to be more sluggish than running on-premises software with a high-end computer. That said, it's a minor annoyance and something that's probably worth not having to spend thousands on high-end hardware.

Soledad M.

The best tool for UI Design

Reviewed on 2020/09/30

I started with Figma as a hard user last year, retaking a product designer role after a while of being Design Manager.
I preferred Figma or Sketch because the incredible feature of working online with clients and developers.
I watched all Figma official tutorial on Youtube and read the documentation and I feel able to give some advice after a year of design several products:
Designers has to read the documentation because there is a painful misused of the software in terms of poorly understanding of concepts in components and styles.
When you properly use Figma you can boost the speed of the Front-End Development.
Not recommended for, even when there are plugins for this:
Documentation.
Flows or Information Architecture.

Pros

Figma not only allows you to work online with your coworkers, also you have the possibility to add a lot of plugins and use resources offered by the community.
Also, the trial version it is very comfortable to test the tool in a way you can be sure of you are choosing the right option for you and your team.
Integrations with ZeroWheight to document your UI Kits, make of Figma the best tool in these days to work in teams of any size and develop Design Systems for your brand.

Cons

Maybe it could be a bit expensive for small companies (or freelancers in countries with less incomes like India, or here in Chile) in comparison with Adobe XD or Sketch, but the online feature made it totally worth it.
Sometimes has small usability issues and some tools are not easy to be discovered.
Also some interface changes are not warning notified and you have to figure out how the change works.

InVision App and Sketch

Reasons for Choosing Figma

Figma allows to work online with your team

Murtaza A.
  • Industry: Design

Never expected that design collaboration could be that easy.

Reviewed on 2020/05/27

Pros

All in one... I moved to Figma for the purpose of design collaboration but as I kept using it I realized it have everything that I need to design a product. From website design to mobile apps I'm all in on Figma. The prototype creation is smooth and the best part above all it kept improvising and understanding all about what we designers as a user want from a design tool.

Cons

Although the prototype creation is smooth but it only allows you to have one main frame on a page. That creates problem for me when creating prototypes for micro interactions. I have to create multiple pages to have multiple prototypes. There are easier ways in terms of experience to fix it and I hope sooner Figma will improve this part too.

Csaba H.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Figma should be the industry standard for UX/UI design

Reviewed on 2019/12/23

As somebody who deals with complex applications, the collaboration and design system capabilities Figma brings to the table is just awesome. I switched from Sketch which covers some of the functionality but it's very hard to create and maintain a design system which mirrors how developers build up interfaces. Figma enables and encourages you to think in components and build and scale a design system as oppose to individual screens. This approach is essential to any product-based business.

Pros

- Collaboration: follow every update in real time. Sharing designs with client? You don't need to worry if they look at the latest updates or not. Collaborating with others on a design? No need to sync or update - it happens in real-time and automatically.
- Components: very easy to use components and start to apply an atomic design approach.
- Design system-centered thinking: Figma nailed a bunch of tedious and cumbersome design tasks: for example, it was not intuitive to work with layer styles, text styles and colors in Sketch (before I switched to Figma in 2018). In Figma, you can apply a saved color to texts, vector objects - anything. Very easy to work with saved text presets as well - they all built in a way to help you re-use them.

Cons

- The design (UI) of the interface is not so nice :) After 2 weeks I stopped noticing it, but as a designer it bugged me at the beginning.
- In some cases it takes time to load.
- Figma updates the software regularly which in some cases means a completely new interface - and sometimes not all the updates are very intuitive (though they are iterating pretty rapidly so that's a good thing)

Figma is more collaborative, more light weight and more shareable

Reviewed on 2021/10/03

Satisfied with using Figma for over 6 months. It supports importing projects from different file formats and also auto saves the project with version history. Version history is limited for free users.

Pros

Figma is a comparatively new designing/prototyping tool that has become so popular very fast. Unlike other similar tools Figma primarily works on web browsers. It works smoothly on any web browser which means your operating system doesn't matter. However if you would like to use it natively on your system desktop apps for Windows and macOS are also available.

An important feature that makes Figma so special is it's real-time collaboration feature where you can share your project with your team and watch them make changes in literally real-time and add comments, just like in Google Docs.

Everything in Figma is already known to designers who have been using other similar applications. So switching to Figma won't be a trouble. For beginners, Figma is a good tool to start with. It might feel a bit difficult at first, but you will start mastering it in no time. The features and interface are pretty straight-forward.

Figma is also a prototyping tool where you can prototype along while designing. The prototype could be run within the browser or it could be run on Figma's companion apps available on App Store and PlayStore called Figma Mirror. While prototyping you can also include some smooth animations and transition effects to give it a real app's look.

Figma has also got a powerful and active community where you can share your work and also reuse the works by other community members. If you are a student or an educator Figma will give you its professional version for free.

Cons

The desktop app for Figma on Windows sometimes get stuck or stay inactive for a while before it responds if we resume using it after a break. In Figma, advanced prototyping features are limited. This means that you can only assign one interaction per user-interface element. For example, you can either hover a button or click a button, not both.

The companion app called Figma Mirror feels a bit laggy on Android while testing the prototype.

The best of the best

Reviewed on 2021/02/08

Figma helps us prototype and design much more quickly than ever before. It's extremely helpful in creating results that can be reviewed by stakeholders and legal without much fuss.

Pros

Figma builds off what other similar solutions offer in providing a very simple, easy-to-use interface with both an web-based and app experience that makes it more versatile and useful in my day-to-day work. I also like that Figma does what a lot of other tools don't do: It factors in the importance of content within design.

Cons

Content within design relies on 3rd party plug-ins for Figma. It would be nice to see this functionality built into the app itself.

Reasons for Choosing Figma

Design leadership wanted to Figma because of its feature set.

Ease of use.
Jason F.
  • Industry: Design

Figma is my new go to design software

Reviewed on 2021/04/20

Overall Figma has been great. There was a minimal learning curve, but we've found a lot of great resources to help us when we get to a sticking point. The commenting feature alone has made getting feedback from clients so much easier.

Pros

Using Figma saved us tons of time and money. Since switching over to Figma we've been able to increase productivity on web-based projects because of features like commenting that allow clients to give us direct feedback on our designs. Figma's free option has been great for us since we are a small team. It has also cut down on the cost of using Sketch and InVision.

Cons

There was a bit of a learning curve to figuring out how to prototype sites in Figma. Since everything is cloud-based there can be issues with connectivity every once in a while, but it is fairly rare.

Adobe XD

Reasons for Choosing Figma

The cost was the main factor for switching, being able to use one piece of software for design and prototyping, versus two or three like we had to use before has saved us a lot of time and headache, too.

Sketch and InVision App

Reasons for Switching to Figma

We heard good things about Figma from our friends and colleagues in other companies that made Figma more attractive.
Marcin M.
  • Industry: Design

Best design tool for collaborative work

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

If there is more than one designer in your team who have to collaborate on the same project, there is no better time to stay in sync and work on the same screens at the same time.

Pros

- Collaborative work in Real-Time
- Projects instead of files
- Intuitive interface
- Software speed
- Projects sharing with reviewers
- Free plan is enough for small teams

Cons

- Not too many plug-ins (Plug-Ins are quite new feature in Figma and the library is growing!)
- Custom fonts are not supported

Reasons for Choosing Figma

At the time of the switch, there was a lack of features which allowed to collaborate on the same file in real-time.

Reasons for Switching to Figma

When choosing it, it was the best free app which allowed to collaborate. Also, from my experience its performance was much better on my machine (mac mini).