TunnelBear Reviews

Joel
Joel

Multi-platform VP goodness

Reviewed on 2021/04/06

I have used Tunnelbear to protect public internet connections for over 3 years. The company kept a clean interface and make it easy to use and promote.

Pros

It is so easy to deploy, manage and use. It protects and has clear notifications of when it is one, how it is connected, and where it is connected to. They audit their software and make the 3rd party report publically available so that you can trust your data is even private from them.

Cons

Nothing, I have had great experiences, it is low overhead and easy to deploy. The price is a bit more than similar solutions. Not crazy it is owned by McAfee now.

NordVPN

Reasons for Switching to TunnelBear

It was made in Canada.

My personal opinion about using Tunnelbear

Reviewed on 2023/11/20

Tunnelbear is a great VPN that people can rely on which saving money along the way. It has basic good features, enough VPN protocols, having a stable internet connection and good internet speed that can rival that of other VPNs. Customer support is always there for you if you need to ask questions and they really put an effort into solving the problems that users are facing. All in all, it is a pleasant VPN to use and I am 100 percent sure you will feel the same too!

Pros

First of all, Tunnelbear is priced right amongst its competitors which are more costly. Don't let cheap price fool you as it is a good VPN with tons of features that you can also get on other pricy VPNs. Initial sign-up and login is simple and intuitive and doesn't take that much time to do it. To connect, you just need to click a button and boom! instant connected. You don't need to worry about connection dropout as VPN is connected all the time and stable. I tried to connect to a variety of server locations and internet speeds in those regions are more or less the same regardless of distance of location that you are connecting from. The latest VPN protocol, wireguard is added; therefore you are not missing out on latest features. Splitbear did the job perfectly by restricting apps that you chose from to connect to VPN. Ghostbear essentially masks your ISP from know about the fact that you are using VPN; thus, it may be useful for people from countries which deploys severe internet censorship.

Cons

Sometimes, your account can be logged out and you need to sign-in again but it is not that much of a deal-breaker as it happens only a few times from using it. I also encountered a bug about connecting as clicking it didn't do anything; therefore, I exited the app and reopened one more time to solve the problem. The thing is yes, Tunnelbear does have problems but they are mostly minor ones which will not cause users to have headache.

ExpressVPN
Claudia
Claudia

TunnelBear enables a secure and high-performance connection

Reviewed on 2020/05/31

TunnelBear allows us to connect to public networks from our corporate laptops and cell phones, thanks to the fact that it has desktop applications and mobile applications for all platforms. With this software we managed to encrypt the connection through the IKEv2 protocol and we can navigate at high speed and without restrictions.

Pros

I like TunnelBear because it offers completely free browsing data and has a large number of countries. Its user interface is interactive and lively, making it easy to connect to the VPN. I also like that it has desktop apps and also mobile apps. Also, it has very good security protocols like IKEv2 and IPSec.

Cons

The only thing that disgusts me is that it does not have different options of cities per country, it is only possible to change the country.

Osarumwense
Osarumwense
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

TunnelBear

Reviewed on 2021/05/26

Overall, TunnelBear, with its intuitive UI has done a great job simplifying VPNs for a novice like me, in my business.

Pros

It is brilliantly designed to meet our everyday needs. It is secure and have your device protected; no need to worry about your data being stolen.

The fact that TunnelBear is fun, and offers free 500mb every month is probably the most attractive thing about it. It is very unlikely to find a VPN solution that offers free service, and still be fun to use.

No other VPN solutions like TunnelBear; with its free trial, you can check it out if you like the product.
Its simplicity makes it fun to use by inexperienced users.

TunnelBear supports split tunneling on android devices. It can also be use as a secure torrent network.

Cons

What i like least about this software is how slow the internet connection could be sometimes, most especially after disconnected and trying to reconnect. This should be looked into.

It is not a great fit for streaming as the data zaps quickly.

Relatively few servers. More servers should be added.

Shayna
Shayna
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Addressing the Needs of International Clients While Ensuring Security

Reviewed on 2019/09/07

Overall, I was very pleased with TunnelBear. It did exactly what I needed to affordably, allowing me to work with international clients on their content from a U.S. IP address. I appreciated TunnelBear's candid FAQs which helped me to better understand what VPN was and what the benefits and considerations were for using it. While those projects have ended, I will definitely consider using TunnelBear in the future specifically for privacy and security purposes as I often work remotely over highly vulnerable public WiFi.

Pros

The internet has changed the face of producing content by expanding clientele from a local pool to an international one. Many clients need writers to be able to view sites and broadcasts as if they were local, but sometimes your IP address is a barrier. With TunnelBear I was able to toggle between my US IP address and an address local to my clients so I could stay abreast of local broadcasts. It was actually only after discovering TunnelBear for this purpose that I discovered it's full use as a VPN to protect privacy.

Cons

Toggling between my home IP address and an international one takes a little more time than simply surfing directly, but it's isn't too long and is as close to seamless as possible.

Antonio
Antonio

TunnelBear is the most reliable, secure and easy-to-use VPN of 2021

Reviewed on 2021/07/07

Because to carry out my work I need to spend most of the time browsing the internet handling very sensitive financial and business information, TunnelBear represents for me an extremely useful tool when it comes to guaranteeing my anonymity and the security of all the information that I handle. In Internet.

Pros

What I like the most about TunnelBear is that it is a VPN with a very simple and intuitive interface that provides guaranteed security and protection. I would say that TunnelBear is the best VPN option for people who have no experience using technology precisely because of its simple and intuitive design.

Cons

What I don't like about TunnerBear and I think they can improve it is that it does not provide geolocation options by state or specific region.

Janosch
Janosch
  • Industry: Human Resources

Easy, reliable VPN-Tunneling that works

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

I was astonished by how easy setting up a VPN Tunnel can be. Fast, reliable, stable - recommendable. Whenever I have a task to do which requires my PC believably to be in Finnland or Australia I will unse TunnelbBar again. Can not have no sad bears (: .

Pros

I needed a way to tunnel VPN traffic in a way that would make my PC appear to be from another country then the one I was in. I came across tunnelBear and felt in love. Clear and simple it integrates into your System and tunnels (hence the name) your Network traffic as set to be. I had zero hassle with setup or stability and was just charmed by the user-friendly, open easy to use functionality.

Cons

Not much. The only thing I can remeber was, taht I was sad, when I had to quit because I had done all I had to do on the task that required the VPN-Tunnel. "The bear was sad" or something I remember. Even the unsitall Process was clean, simple and easy.

Polo
Polo
  • Industry: Design

The simplest VPN client out there

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

Tunnelbear is without a doubt the simplest VPN if you're in need of one. Great software for a single person, not sure if it would work for a large company.

Pros

- Very cheap for what it offers
- Very easy to install, even without computer knowledge
- The app is very well designed
- The companion apps make a great investment, VPN all across devices
- Has a free version that gives you 2gb for a tweet

Cons

Not much, the only one is that the app sometimes gets slow and the connection to the VPN takes more than expected, sometimes more than 2 minutes

Leon
Leon

This is probably the cutest and most effective VPN software in the market.

Reviewed on 2018/06/04

Great and functional VPN software.

Great and functional VPN software.

Pros

First of all, this software has one of the most beautiful and easy to use interfaces I have seen, also their website graphics revolved around cute vectorized bears. It works marvelous, it is simple to use, effective, connects quickly and in addition; it is inexpensive (You can use around 500 MB for free in a monthly basis, and if you tweet about TunnelBear you can get some extra MBs, also their monthly and yearly plans are very affordable). I wholeheartedly recommend TunnelBear!

Cons

This is one of those few cases were I don't really have anything negative to say about a software. I believe TunnelBear is great.

Roshish
Roshish

A mediocre VPN

Reviewed on 2023/10/14

Pros

It is simple and easy to get started with. It gives you free access to many locations but has a threshold of 500 MB per month. Also, there are no annoying ads and it does not store the logs either.

Cons

I felt a hit on my internet speed and could not get streaming app running with TunnelBear.

Nadusha
Nadusha
  • Used for 2+ years

Only for short term operations. Period.

Reviewed on 2018/12/27

Overall, I'm only using this for some simple operations only. Only reason I'm using this is because of the user friendliness of the app. And this is 100% working where some other tools don't work sometimes. But the bandwidth limit is too low. So I can only rate it 5 out of 10.

Pros

Well, I like everything about the Tunnelbear vpn. It can hide your identity and can connect to any server in almost all of the countries out there. works pretty well. Thishas an Chrome extension so that you can use it with the chrome browser. First you have to create an account and then you have to login. this process is very easy and won't take too much time. And you can connect right away. There's an android app so that use vpn from your mobile device wiht those login credentials. Everything is pretty easy. user interface is very simple. and attractive as well. and connecting won't take too long or there's no queue like other tools.

Cons

like I said previously, usage bandwidth is limited when you're using this. like very low. you only get 500MB per month. so it's not suitable for long term operations like browsing social media, downloading things etc. however they allow you 1 GB if you could tweet about their service. But even that doesn't sound enough for me. Plus there are some competitors who offer the same service for free! So this is a bit questionable.

Caleb
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

TunnelBear - Surf Fearlessly

Reviewed on 2019/10/21

I have loved the experience ever since I started using the service and don't think I will switch to anyother VPN service provider.

Pros

TunnelBear is a VPN service which encrypts your internet connection in order to keep your daily online activities private and super secure while you browse the web doing what you do best, without the worries of hackers and the government spying on your data. TunnelBear is available across all Mac, Windows, IOS and Android devices so you feel secure no matter your location or your device.

TunnelBear does not log any user activity as mentioned in the privacy policy so you can feel free to surf as intended without being spied on also by your VPN service provider.
TunnelBear also offers a free service which is limited to 500MB/Month so you can take it for a test drive before upgrading to the premium service.

Some of TunnelBear advance features are:

Global content - which allows you to view contents that is not allowed in your region
Online Privacy - TunnelBear blocks the government and your local ISP from viewing any of your internet traffic.
IP tracking - this feature blocks ad services from tracking your behavior which is used to target you for web-based advertisement.

Cons

TunnelBear uses 256-bit AES encryption which is strong enough but a bit weaker than other VPN services on the market.

• Used Daily for Free Trial

Best VPN ever!

Reviewed on 2022/03/20

Pros

I have tried countless VPN already, and no one can compare to TunnelBear! Sure, I only used the free trial, which is 500 mb a month, but that alone is enough for it to make an impact on me. A lot of VPN that I have tried that said are offering free service doesn't really work for me. The only one that worked is TunnelBear. The free trial is very important because it is what will make the user to decide whether to pay for the service or not. And I'm pretty sure that when the time comes, I'll gladly pay for their service! It's very easy to use, and they have a really cute layout. It's not "complicated-looking", and it worked really great as a VPN. Highly recommended!

Cons

Since I only tried using the free trial, I can say that the only con that I am seeing is the fact that you can only use 500 mb per month. That is something that of course, can be solved when you decide to pay for their service.

Jyoti

Good, reliable product

Reviewed on 2021/08/05

Pros

I used Tunnel Bear for several years so I could easily switch country by IP address using a VPN. I was impressed by the simplicity of it. Clean, uncluttered - very easy to install and navigate. Any time there was an issue, the customer support team was very responsive.

Cons

My only real gripe with this software, and the reason I eventually moved over to a competitor, was that they seemed unable to adequately keep up with changes. Large companies are constantly trying to thwart VPNs and stealth IP addresses and it's an ongoing game to adapt the technology. It seemed that TunnelBear wasn't fast enough in developing their product to keep ahead of the changes.

• Industry: Higher Education

Secure your internet activities

Reviewed on 2019/08/31

TunnelBear helps me in maintaining my privacy over my internet activities. It is easy to use and cheap, making it possible for me to subscribe to its plan.

Pros

TunnelBear is very easy to use! You just need to click or tap on the server's location that you want to use and voila! You are connected to the server. It is also cheap compared to other similar services, yet offer good service to the users.

Cons

It offers a free version but with very limited data it offers, it's better to just subscribe to the basic plan. Another negative point is that sometimes, the connection becomes lagging. While it is understandable since I am using VPN service but I hope this can be addressed somewhat.

Danilo
  • Industry: Defense & Space

Great software with some reliability snags

Reviewed on 2021/04/07

Overall it serves the purpose and delivers the intended service. However, I believe it could improve its reliability as a way to justify the prices charged.

Pros

It allows you to access internet content only available within countries, which is quite a balsam when your are away from home and wants to watch your favourite shows. It is user-friendly and has a cute interface. It is really powerful and incredibly straightforward to use.

Cons

I believe the main problem is to do with reliability. The connection happens to stall every now and then. Besides that, it can reduce a bit of your connection speed.

Karl
Karl
  • Used for 2+ years

Protection of the privacy of information in a secure and stable manner.

Reviewed on 2019/05/19

It is a tool that has guaranteed the privacy of the information of the members of the company where it has been implemented, its service is fast, easy to use and guarantees a good technical support and quality service.

Pros

This product offers a good stability in VPN connection, offers a connection in a stable and secure way allowing the user to enjoy a fast navigation offering the privacy of the information, especially when it comes to information of the financial type or themes of the company. Confidentiality, accessing the TunnelBear Services is simple and the forms of payment are varied, the installation of the software can be applied from the desktop or through the web browser.

Cons

Once I had to install the software in Windows 8.1 and it did not work, the software was installed, it also happened several times that it was frozen when making a connection and not connects which I had to restart and it works again.

Enxhi
  • Industry: Design

Really fun to switch browsing from a country to another country

Reviewed on 2019/09/03

Whenever I need to visit a website that is not available from the country I am surfing at that moment, I open TunnelBear, switch to another country and in a matter of seconds and graceful animations I am already seeing the website that didn't worked previously.

Pros

The product works really well, and works all time. I can switch browsing from one country to another within a few seconds and it always worked for me. I never had a downtime or anything like it. I really loved the animation of the bear going in the tunnel from one country to another and it really did that amazing job. I also liked they sometimes makes offer to get some free MBs to surf.

Cons

Maybe the price for personal use is not affordable to everyone that I know, but overall sometimes there are offers to get some free MBs or GBs even!

Malith
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

TunnelBear review

Reviewed on 2019/10/16

I use tunnelbear for 6 or 8 months and I recommend it to my friend.

I use tunnelbear for 6 or 8 months and I recommend it to my friend.

Pros

Tunnelbear is a famous VPN software it's fast and accurate.
500mb free for evey account for a month.
It's a user friendly application.

Cons

Free usage isn't enough. They should give at least 5gb when compare with others.
Their customer support isn't that good.

NordVPN
Signe
Signe
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Great for basic VPN

Reviewed on 2021/07/28

The price is right fort this VPN and I am very satisfied with Tunnelbear.

The price is right fort this VPN and I am very satisfied with Tunnelbear.

Pros

Tunnelbear does a great job of protecting privacy, and it's very affordable. For $10/month, you can protect 5 separate devices. Additionally, the cute cartoon bears make this VPN fun. It takes a scary issue -- privacy violation -- and turns it into something nonthreatening.

Cons

Some VPNs offer additional services and protections beyond the basic VPN. However, Tunnelbear is limited to VPN only. For my needs, that's perfectly fine. However, some users will want a more inclusive solution if they have more complex needs. Additionally, Tunnelbear can be slow at times depending on which server you connect to. It's mostly fine, but once in a while it crawls.

Jordan
  • Industry: Photography

Security is important!

Reviewed on 2019/04/22

I run a Photography Studio and keeping photos of clients safe and secure is vital. Online delivery of images is 100% of the time how we do things and keeping that information secure for only the client is a must. TunnelBear helps keep it that way. I can actually keep true to the Privacy Policy I have with clients!

Pros

TunnelBear is invisible! You might think that is a Con, but you would be wrong. Setup was quick and easy. I don't need to maintain it or anything, just let it do its work.

Cons

Pricey, I wish services like this would be cheaper. It's another monthly subscription alongside the other 10+ subscriptions you have.

teran

Trusted VPN for gamers

Reviewed on 2023/04/01

I have been using tunnel bear paid version for gaming for security purposes.

I have been using tunnel bear paid version for gaming for security purposes.

Pros

This supports for all platforms and all major browsers as extensions. I extremely love the cute interfaces which gives me a very pleasant feeling whenever I see them. Third parties won't be able to identify the user and their data since tunnelbear is using very strong encryption mechanism. Also there are long list of locations that I can set and connect.

Cons

This blocks some games and sometimes slow down the network speed.

Great app which is easy to use

Reviewed on 2018/01/16

I am using it on my Ipad and it gives me great freedom to watch worldwide TV, movies and listen to radio shows.

Pros

Easy to start up, easy to switch between different countries and the service has a great price compared with similar service.

Cons

I would like more than the twenty-five available countries were included in the list of countries which you can establish VPN to.

Response from TunnelBear

Thanks for your feedback! It's beary much appreciated.

Karen
Karen

One of my favorite VPN's

Reviewed on 2019/04/01

Great service, great branding and trusted by pros definitely worth a try if you use public wifi. Oh! Plus they have an app for your phone for extra security. Try it!

Pros

The cute little bear grabbed my attention first, well it came recommended from a cybersecurity pro. Then the bear just sealed the deal. What can I say I am a sucker for good branding and theirs is pretty good.

Anyway, the real reason why I needed to find a trusty VPN is because I like to work from coffee shops and I wanted additional protection of my info! The scammers are serious out here in these streets, I simply don't have time to deal with the hacks.

So that is where TunnelBear steps in, it keeps me feeling a bit more secure for when I am out and about using public wifi.

Cons

Absolutely nothing really - sometimes it disconnects for a brief second but it's right back up. It will tell you by popping a notification across the screen.

Other than that I think the price is great and the customer service is great as well. I definitely highly recommend them for VPN.

Will
Will
  • Used for 6-12 months

Best free option for short burst users

Reviewed on 2018/11/23

I loved its free version when I used it. It was perfect for downloading small files from strange servers... though I would recommend keeping your antivirus active if you plan to do the same!

Pros

A free VPN with a lot more to offer in paid subscriptions. You get 500 mb free each month, which is great for short burst users -- I used TunnelBear when I downloaded music a few years ago. It is extremely easy to set up and turn on, and definitely all around the most user friendly VPN I have ever seen.

Cons

500 mb is plenty for some people, but the more often you plan to use your VPN -- or the larger the files you plan to download -- the less enticing this is. You can opt to pay for TunnelBear, but in my opinion, the free version is where Tunnelbear outshines competitors. If you plan to pay for your VPN, I would hands down recommend NordVPN above any other -- but if you are comfortable with TunnelBear, it may still be the best option for you. Keep in mind, however, that some VPNs have restrictions on download types -- if you plan to torrent, be sure to check TunnelBear's policies on P2P downloading & uploading.