Mural

Write a Review!
Teamwork feels like less work with Mural.

4.2/5

Alexander
Alexander
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Highly Improved Visual Communication

Reviewed on 2022/09/24

Pros

Brainstorming has never been easier. The learning curve is quite simple. Really love how I can customize my workspace according to my preferences, easy set-up, and plus the templates provided really stand out.

Cons

As far as I have been using it, I don't recall ever having any problems with Mural. I'd highly recommend it to a lot of people.

Andrew
  • Industry: Computer Hardware
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

An excellent team collaboration and brainstorming platform

Reviewed on 2020/07/23

Despite some of the functionality having an additional learning curve, Mural serves as an excellent way for remote teams (and even teams just wanting a more 'digital' brainstorming experience) to collaborate.

Pros

I love how easy Mural makes the process of visual 'mind-mapping' among remote co-workers. If we want to do an exercise, for example, that requires virtual 'sticky-notes' for brainstorming process improvements, Mural facilitates this process seamlessly.

Cons

Mural does take a little time to get up to speed on using it. You can definitely jump right in on some of the basic features, but to use some of its more advanced features (keyboard shortcuts, for example), it will take some time to learn them.

Good, can be hard to access at the beginning

Reviewed on 2021/04/06

I use it for workshop facilitation

I use it for workshop facilitation

Pros

Best feature is the outline function which allows you to create steps into the MURAL

Cons

Commands are not intuitive
Sticky notes are always the same size
shapes can be a bit unflexible

Miro

Reasons for Switching to Mural

It was already being used in my organisation.
Gianluca
  • Industry: Design

A great tool with some improvement needed

Reviewed on 2020/11/12

Mural is a great tool, generally speaking I am happy with it. It misses some feature (sometimes basic ones) that would make our work easier and faster especially in the configuration of new murals and organization of large rooms.

Pros

As a designer I use Mural daily to run co-design workshop with dozens of people. The simplicity of the tool makes it easy to understand and use even for people that are not much into technology. A couple of features I particularly appreciate are the content library (even though should be improved) and the possibility to multiple templates from different companies. Also che call feature looks interesting even though I never used it so far.

Cons

There are things that needs improvement fast. I'll list a few.
1. Rooms should allow to sort murals in alphabetical order and to have a simple list visualization. Also names should not be cut like they are now (the only way to see the full name is via the tooltip)
2. Rooms and archive in my opinion are not enough to organize murals. It would be way better to have rooms and then the possibility to organize murals in folders inside a room.
3. It should be much easier to change the room/mural permissions. We often have sessions with dozens of people but only a few of them should have the possibility to edit. At the moment there is no bulk way to change the view only/edit permission
4. Grouping elements inside a mural should be enhanced. At the moment you cannot have a group of groups and that makes it harder to keep a logical architecture of the elements in a mural
5. At the moment there is no specific feature to create schemes or diagrams. We really would love that.
6. It would be much easier sometimes to have the possibility to specify the object size manually.
7. Content library needs to be improved to be really useful. Elements needs folders for a better organization.

Nathan
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Digital-first collaboration

Reviewed on 2019/05/11

MURAL brings the whiteboard and the design studio wall online so that I can collaborate with clients and colleagues around the world. Now my entire workflow is in a digital medium, so I can a lot of efficiency that way.

Pros

I love that I can send anyone a link to a MURAL board and within 5 minutes they're totally comfortable using it. Yet beyond its simple on-boarding experience is a lot of flexibility that supports a wide variety of use cases.

Cons

There are some small interaction details reduce elegance: I'm not crazy about how its arrows/lines connect to notes/shapes. And it's hard to have a consistent typographic hierarchy, because text scales with shapes, and there's no other way to control type size.

Michela

Unique in its kind

Reviewed on 2019/03/06

In my company we work a lot with design thinking and we create murals for our clients to make them create strategies. This tool has become necessary for our daily work and we could not be happier to be able to create such a good work in so less time, because Mural is so easy to use and intuitive and possibilities are endless.

Pros

Mural is the tool I've always been looking for to visualise concepts and create conceptual maps. But it is not only this, it can be a presentation tool, you can make infographics with it, you can easily and rapidly create artwork that does not need the use of Photoshop or Illustrator. It's the tool everybody should use to present ideas to the customers. What I like most of Mural is the ease of use, the millions of icons you have and can personalise with colour and the fact that you can drag and drop text, links, videos and gifs.

Cons

Few options could be improved to make it even better. For example you cannot decide the size of text therefore when you enlarge text boxes you loose track of the size. There is no option to create simple tables yet, deciding the number of columns and rows. There is no media library so you have to upload every time images instead of choosing from a library or copy and paste them from another mural. Alignment sometimes is not very accurate.

Holly
  • Industry: Automotive

making virtual collaboration more collaborative

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

I work remotely 75% of the time. Mural enables me to continue hands on collaboration, building alignment with my virtual team members almost as effectively as if we were in person. This has changed the way I collaborate virtually. Now, I cannot work without out!

Pros

Ease of use - almost like having a real whiteboard in the room, easy to access by non-members

Cons

Like any software, getting people unfamiliar with it to be comfortable collaborating can take some effort.

• Industry: Design

Amazing tool for arranging complex info

Reviewed on 2019/02/05

This is a foundational tool for us for capturing any postit note exercise or workshop session.

Pros

This tool allows teams to take the complicated, organically generated, unsorted data that can come out of brainstorming or workshops and arrange it into something meaningful. It creates a standard language for teams to express this info.

It's quick to learn and easy to use, and allows for the right type of expression for any info set.

Cons

Administrating a team could be done better. It's too easy to invite more team members than your plan pays for. This is because the button to share a mural to an email address (which adds a team member) is easier to get to than the link to share anonymously. Fortunately there is a 30 day grace period for these mistakes.

Animesh
Animesh
  • Industry: Insurance

Mural is a must have if you are a product Manager/ designer

Reviewed on 2018/08/03

It’s a brilliant tool. There hasn’t been an experience with mural that has not gone well. Must have...

It’s a brilliant tool. There hasn’t been an experience with mural that has not gone well. Must have !

Pros

Mural is indeed collaborative ! The fact that you can see what the other person around the world is doing, without sharing screen, is amazing ! Mural is that digital whiteboard with free stickies where you could do anything ! And it comes with so many templates !!

Cons

We cannot talk via mural . I’d need another software or tool to do that! Imagine Mural + slack in one !

Gonzalo
Gonzalo
  • Industry: Information Services

Capture everything you want in Mural

Reviewed on 2022/02/15

I started out choosing Mural over Miro for its free proposition, and in this regard, it comes out on top. It offers 5 free boards, which is quite a lot more than its competition, and this helps to try it for an unlimited time and get to know all its advantages.

Pros

Mural is ideal for creating mind maps and very easy-to-use flowcharts. The number of pre-designed templates it has is endless. It allows the anonymous entry (without registration) of many people to a board to work on it. It offers a limited free version that allows you to create up to a maximum of 5 boards. (more than Miro, for example) Previously the tool only offered a trial version for 30 days.

Cons

It has few integrations developed for external applications.
The clip art gallery is limited but also supports the user's own images.

Sarah

Great digital whiteboarding tool

Reviewed on 2022/09/05

I have gotten our team on board to use Mural when we'd typically use a whitebaord in meetings. it's been great for facilitating brainstorm sessions or mindmapping in our remote environment.

Pros

I find Mural more intuitive to use and less buggy than other whiteboarding tools. The app especially syncs quickly so you can use an ipad and pencil to write on the whiteboard, and have it projected through a desktop to a conference room or virtual meeting. I also like that the white boards are infinite (or at least as far as I can tell). Even though the number of free boards is limited to three, you have tons of space to work with in each one.

Cons

I don't love the provided templates; I typically end up using my own for simplicity.

Derek
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Mural Good for One Time Use But NOT a Long Term Strategy

Reviewed on 2022/06/13

Easy at first, but really not good for business processes and long term scalability

Pros

Easy to access, and get everyone onto the platform. Fun animal names were a nice touch. The interface has improved over time but is fundamentally flawed.

Cons

Was a glorified whiteboard. For the price we would pay to support the business, Mural would do little more for us than to provide a simple whiteboard to put down ideas and discuss. Although this is nice to get ideas out there - it lacks the ability to create structure and keep things organized over time. Would find ourselves consistently looking for information as it was lost - not sure how we could've implemented the software in a valuable way in the long term.

Miro

Reasons for Switching to Mural

We tried Mural for a few months but didn't find we could've used it long term and lacked a lot of the IP some other software was offering us at the time.
Angel

A magical whiteboard to collect and arrange ideas and find appropriate solutions

Reviewed on 2022/05/26

MURAL has enabled us to keep meetings open and untimed, it has also enabled us to ensure the participation of all team members and also their approval of the proposed schemes, no matter where they are located. Brainstorming schemes helped us to collect ideas and arrange them in a distinctive way, and this helped a lot in understanding the needs and always finding appropriate solutions.

Pros

MURAL helps team members stay connected and collaborate to stay on schedule. The MURAL whiteboard is great for brainstorming and arranging interactive sessions. I adore using emojis, shapes, and colors to develop a workflow model or collect team members' opinions and perceptions on a topic for third-party sharing. I like how MURAL lets us prepare Proto-Personas, Prioritize, and Experience Map with team members. It's expressive, accurate, and describes our issue well. I like MURAL's ability to organize cards into categories and assign cards to team members so everyone is on the same page. I like that MURAL has an intuitive interface that everyone can adopt to quickly, and the presence of several ready-made templates helps prepare the proper form for the topic we're discussing. I particularly like that final renderings may be exported as an image or PDF file for simple distribution.

Cons

In all honesty, it's not about finding something you might hate with MURAL, as it's like a magical drawing tablet that enables everyone to share and collaborate in all circumstances and with ease.

Noemi
  • Industry: Research

The perfect place to make sense of your mind

Reviewed on 2021/09/27

Overall, mural is my go-to for sense making - both of my own thoughts and those of a group. Its a perfect, no frills, low-risk way to get ideas down on paper and analyze, refine, synthesize. It moves my work forward tremendously. For people who are visual or external processors like myself - it's an excellent tool to facilitate these processes.

Pros

I love that mural gives me the tools to dump my ideas into one place and sort them. They offer great templates that give me a way to get started without being intimidated, and I love that I can invite coworkers in this space to see my thinking and to document their thinking there as well. Great springboard for conversations.

Cons

Sometimes I get a bit confused with the level of zoom and the amount of space available. I sometimes feel like my level of zoom and the sizing of the post its is not calibrated. it's hard to know how much to zoom in so that I can still read what's on sticky notes while still seeing the surrounding ones.

I Heng

Looking for an online whiteboard, I discovered much more when I found Mural

Reviewed on 2022/07/21

Mural is literally the one software product that I started using for remote learning but continue to use even when teaching in person because I believe it truly supports collaboration, brainstorming, and mind mapping. I actually tried many other products and none of them comes even close to Mural for these purposes, for its ease of use, and for its flexibility.

Pros

When teachers ask me if I have any go-to tools for remote learning, I always tell them about Mural. During a difficult year adapting to the challenges of teaching online, Mural was a bright spot because although I had only been looking for an online whiteboard, what my students get when they use Mural is so much more.

1) It's easy to use...my students were able to find and use the tools without instructions or guides.
2) It offers many ways to express and connect ideas with a palette of tools and a convenient interface.
3) The facilitator can build custom thinkspaces or choose from a variety of templates, and also decide what elements to lock in place.
4) There are different participation levels, including the "visitor" level which allows anyone with the link to join a collaboration.
5) The "wall" space is giant...I have never run out of space, and easy navigation and zooming provide easy access to the whole space.

Cons

The only aspect I've found a bit challenging for those new to Mural is that sticky notes or text boxes sometimes pop up in unexpected places. As a facilitator, I sometimes have to roam around and delete unused elements that participants created but didn't find.

Özen
  • Industry: Oil & Energy
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

Makes Online Meetings More Effective

Reviewed on 2020/12/30

Before Mural, longer online workshops were not effective. Many attendees were losing their focus and the meetings were transforming into inefficient gathering activities. With Mural, we keep all attendees alive and interactive. You can reach working canvas where ever you are and especially voting feature makes easier to get mutual decisions in a democratic environment.

Pros

It allows all participants to work together and collaboratively at the same time. It is easy to use

Cons

I would like to have more templates to use. An open library would be beneficial to adopt this software easier.

Gregory

Very helpful collaboration tool

Reviewed on 2022/07/21

Pros

I love how Mural helps the team make simultaneous comments, its versatility in using as an idea board; its ability to help us map an entire process as a flow chart and then manipulate the diagram according to our needs. I also love the sharing aspect as it becomes a way for us to communicate as if we're all in the same room.

Cons

Navigating a large mural in terms of the sizing bar can be tedious. I often have to enlarge and then reduce the size in order to zone in on a particular section and see it clearly.

A must have for remote work!

Reviewed on 2020/05/12

We use mural all the time. We use it to create timelines for projects, to lead design sessions, to discuss evaluations, and to visualize our work very often. We have created our own templates for activities that we use for project managing and design thinking often. Our team loves it, and we are a huge advocate of using it, specially if you work with a team that is remote.

Pros

Mural is awesome! The thing I love the most about mural is that it allows os to visualized our work and projects in a virtual space, and many people can access it and work from it at the same time.

Cons

It was hard to learn at first. If you are trying to get a team on board with using Mural, or a new member of the team, it can be very challenging to get them to learn. Specially if you are asking them to lead a full design session or activities that need to take place on the Mural. It takes time to get used to it.

Faris

Great collaborative tool! Powerful free version!

Reviewed on 2021/12/22

Pros

The free version is great to start playing around with. It allows for up to 5 boards with unlimited members. Moving on to the paid version removes the 5 board limitations but still can collaborate with unlimited members which is a huge relief for a startup that is bootstrapping.

It has features such as templates which is readily available and you can also create your own templates if you find that the current ones are insufficient. Not a steep learning curve but if you want to master it, you'll need to spend a bit more time learning the shortcuts.

Cons

More selection of typefaces - currently limited to handful of those, and also no bullets
Integration is richer in Miro - Trello, Drive, etc.

• Industry: Consumer Goods

Game Changer for Displayed Thinking

Reviewed on 2020/04/13

Pros

This software amazes. As a displayed thinking practitioner - I have long awaited the day where paper and pen could finally be matched by digital capability. We are at the dawn of that age. Too often these tools output look like something made in Microsoft Paint. Not the case here. It's elegant is display, intuitive in UX and powerful in import (templates) and export (data) . Integration and side by side use with Office 365 suite seems flawless.

Cons

Integration of stylus based writing is needed. Some other competitors offer the ability to transform one's handwriting into functional text which is lacking here. Having a stylus input option to create a "sticky note" and use your own handwriting would be next level for this product.

Yaxi
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Great white boarding tool for virtual collaboration

Reviewed on 2020/09/27

Mural has been especially great tool to use during user interviews and workshops where you want to engage everyone and get feedback and ideas from every individual in the group.

Pros

Mural has been great especially for brainstorming and collaborative activities during covid and with non co-located teams. It’s an intuitively designed easy to use virtual whiteboarding tool that comes with templates that you can use for exercises that you might want to run. Particularly great for usage for design thinking sessions or activities where you want everyone to participate.

Cons

It does take a few uses to get used to how the tool works and the zooming in and out functionality doesn’t always work as you want it to. It can be hard to know what size sticky notes you should use. But after a few tries it gets pretty easy to use.

Alek
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Good tool for ideation across teams

Reviewed on 2022/09/24

It’s a useful tool for ideation but I prefer it for smaller groups

It’s a useful tool for ideation but I prefer it for smaller groups

Pros

Ultimately this tool is great if you have teams located in different offices and you can’t physically get together

Cons

There are so many functions available. I find setting up a Mural board can be time consuming and inevitably I forget to lock something down and a user goes rogue and messes something up or moves something they shouldnt

Revolutionizes virtual meetings!

Reviewed on 2019/03/05

Pros

Mural has allowed me (a member of a virtual team) to advance our organization's use of Human-Centered Design techniques without always having to bring the group into an in-person meetings. Because of the savings in cost / time due to virtual work, it more than pays for itself, AND it helps to keep the teams connected and brainstorming together.

Cons

It can take a little while for teams to get used to it and come up to speed on how to use it most effectively.

Ben
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

A worse version of miro

Reviewed on 2023/06/05

Pros

the icons (seems like a noun project integration) and the ability to select any color for stickies

Cons

it's not always so intuitive and the white boarding doesn't feel infinite

Brittany

Mural is *the place* for collaboration

Reviewed on 2021/02/18

I love it. It has always helped my clients in numerous ways.

I love it. It has always helped my clients in numerous ways.

Pros

For all of my creative brainstormers, Mural is the place to kick off new and existing product development. I love that Mural offers different templates for people to get started from where they are. The templates help those with a learning curve move quicker, and then that SME is able to help the team start using the software and not feel intimidated.

Cons

I can't think of a single thing I dislike about Mural. It's easy, efficient, and has been around for a long time.