Mural

Digital workspace and collaboration management solution

Kalavati S.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Great Platform for Effective Collaboration

Reviewed on 2021/02/26

Pros

1) Ready to use templates (Business, retro)
2) No need to register
3) Easy to use
4) Helpful customer support

Cons

UI has room for improvisation

The current UI looks clutter

Need to motivate folks to use Mural

Faye S.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Drive decision making and engage your audience

Reviewed on 2020/08/10

Pros

I’ve used Mural for over 2 years now to run remote workshops with groups of up to 15 participants. My clients really love it! The best thing about it in my view is that you can build from independent work to group exercises and discussions and using brainstorming and the voting tool to drive decision making and action. I also like that you can invite people to collaborate with you without them having to pay for membership. I’m the Mural expert at my organisation, I’ve created a short course covering all the things people typically want to know about using the tool all Ng with some best practice tips: [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]

Cons

The only thing that used to bug me about Mural was the fact that you couldn’t identify participants who joined as visitors (one time collaborators appear as anonymous animals). I noticed recently that visitors can now add their name which is really useful.I expect this change came from Mural user feedback, they do seem to develop the features over time.

Gianluca C.
  • Industry: Design

A great tool with some improvement needed

Reviewed on 2020/11/12

Mural is a great tool, generally speaking I am happy with it. It misses some feature (sometimes basic ones) that would make our work easier and faster especially in the configuration of new murals and organization of large rooms.

Pros

As a designer I use Mural daily to run co-design workshop with dozens of people. The simplicity of the tool makes it easy to understand and use even for people that are not much into technology. A couple of features I particularly appreciate are the content library (even though should be improved) and the possibility to multiple templates from different companies. Also che call feature looks interesting even though I never used it so far.

Cons

There are things that needs improvement fast. I'll list a few.
1. Rooms should allow to sort murals in alphabetical order and to have a simple list visualization. Also names should not be cut like they are now (the only way to see the full name is via the tooltip)
2. Rooms and archive in my opinion are not enough to organize murals. It would be way better to have rooms and then the possibility to organize murals in folders inside a room.
3. It should be much easier to change the room/mural permissions. We often have sessions with dozens of people but only a few of them should have the possibility to edit. At the moment there is no bulk way to change the view only/edit permission
4. Grouping elements inside a mural should be enhanced. At the moment you cannot have a group of groups and that makes it harder to keep a logical architecture of the elements in a mural
5. At the moment there is no specific feature to create schemes or diagrams. We really would love that.
6. It would be much easier sometimes to have the possibility to specify the object size manually.
7. Content library needs to be improved to be really useful. Elements needs folders for a better organization.

Rob W.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Mural enables easy digital collaboration from novices to pros

Reviewed on 2019/02/28

I've been able to grow with mural and explore new worlds of collaboration ... both enhancing face to face workshops and enabling remote collaborators to have equal voices. Support from the mural team to help us explore new ways to effectively collaborate (not just use their software) have been compelling.

Pros

I really appreciate how easy it is to dive in and get started with little complexity or knowledge. Drop some stickies on an empty whiteboard and you're off ... or play with templates, voting, and other advanced features to drive amazing new collaborations that are only possible in the digital world.

Cons

In the past, I have disliked the lack of feature parity between web and mobile versions. That has recently improved.

Holly D.
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

making virtual collaboration more collaborative

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

I work remotely 75% of the time. Mural enables me to continue hands on collaboration, building alignment with my virtual team members almost as effectively as if we were in person. This has changed the way I collaborate virtually. Now, I cannot work without out!

Pros

Ease of use - almost like having a real whiteboard in the room, easy to access by non-members

Cons

Like any software, getting people unfamiliar with it to be comfortable collaborating can take some effort.

Yaxi W.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Great white boarding tool for virtual collaboration

Reviewed on 2020/09/27

Mural has been especially great tool to use during user interviews and workshops where you want to engage everyone and get feedback and ideas from every individual in the group.

Pros

Mural has been great especially for brainstorming and collaborative activities during covid and with non co-located teams. It’s an intuitively designed easy to use virtual whiteboarding tool that comes with templates that you can use for exercises that you might want to run. Particularly great for usage for design thinking sessions or activities where you want everyone to participate.

Cons

It does take a few uses to get used to how the tool works and the zooming in and out functionality doesn’t always work as you want it to. It can be hard to know what size sticky notes you should use. But after a few tries it gets pretty easy to use.

Michelle M.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Using Mural as a learning portfolio in education

Reviewed on 2019/01/30

Pros

We have tried and tested a few different versions of the learning portfolio. Using Mural as a learning portfolio is one of the most effective ways I have found that students can capture their learning and experiences. It is a non-linear way of demonstrating how our learning is multifaceted and interconnected. It allows students to be ultra creative in how they represent and capture their skill acquisition. It is rare that students in science are asked to be creative. Having this creative outlet allows students to express themselves in a different way!

Cons

The zooming in and out can be a bit challenging, but multiple versions get saved in case you wish to go back...

Very good for workshops

Reviewed on 2020/06/11

It's very good for hearing ideas of the different members of a team.

Pros

I really like the option of using sticky notes. You can change the size very easily and use different colors.

Cons

The zoom option it's difficult to find, it should be more visible. It's easy to get confused between the add collaborators button and the zoom in button.

Best Journey Mapping Tool Around

Reviewed on 2019/07/29

Pros

I'm using Mural to map our customer journeys and it was so easy to learn right off the bat. I am so impressed by how intuitive the platform is.

Cons

I wish Mural was cheaper :( but it is worth the investment if you will use it regularly.

Ross M.

Great tool for remote collaboration

Reviewed on 2019/02/15

Pros

I work with team members around the country. We use Mural to collaborate and brainstorm ideas using "digital note cards". Everyone can participate easily as if we were all standing around the same whiteboard. Pretty cool.

Cons

The price was more than I was expecting. About half our company is remote, so getting licenses for everyone was an out-of-budget expense. It ends up costing about as much as our annual expense to lease our Macbooks. Seems pricey.

Gerry S.
  • Industry: Biotechnology
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Incredible Collaboration Tool for Brainstorming

Reviewed on 2021/02/11

Best brainstorming collaboration tool out there. Simple to use and very flexible. Short learning curve so great for classes or new teams.

Pros

I love the blank template where you can have multiple people white board or place post it notes. I have not found a better tool for brainstorming (even when everyone is present in the room). Mural makes it easy to place and organize ideas to capture trends.

Cons

Navigating around the screen can be a little weird, especially if a lot of people are on at the same time. You will accidentally click on someone else's view and it will take you a second or two to figure out what you did. Once you figure out the user interface you watch out for the issue but it is annoying when you are starting.

Katherine T.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Nice try but RTB is still better

Reviewed on 2018/08/30

It works, it's better than not having a digital whiteboard product if you have remote teams working together, but it's not the best digital whiteboard product out there.

Pros

I like the concept of a digital whiteboard, and the collaboration tools are on the spot.

Cons

No infinite canvas, wayfinding for rooms is awful, not enough customization for layouts and colors of things. Too restrictive sometimes on what you can create(like creating "areas" in Real Time Board).

Courtney N.

Awesome Brainstorming Tool

Reviewed on 2020/04/29

Mural has made doing virtual workshops a lot easier, and kept them engaging and fun! I like how there are so many visual options like stickers and icons to help people express ideas.

Pros

Mural makes it easy to brainstorm ideas with a big group - the post-it function is my favorite. I also like how you can "follow" the presenter on the board in case you get lost.

Cons

The lack of video integration is kind of annoying. Having to pull up Zoom or another video app at the same time seems like it shouldn't be necessary.

Divya J.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Great for Collaboration

Reviewed on 2021/03/12

Collaboration. It is great for workshops and sprints. The fact that everyone can see and work on it at the same time is great, especially during remote work

Pros

The main value of this software is the collaboration aspect. I love that I can bring people together regardless of their tech fluency and with one icebreaker activity, I can get them to use the main functions they will need for the next few hours. The double click for post-its, the "follow me" function, are great. I love that you can paste a URL and it shows a thumbnail of the article.

Cons

Unless you have certain permissions, it is difficult to change your name. It was random that some people had Avatar names like "Visiting Sheep" and others "Ryan (Visiting Squid)". People were confused why it was not changeable, even though the UI allows you to write before you enter the room. But then it doesn't reflect.
It is also difficult to zoom into certain post its if they are outside the main board but on the same screen. Zoom functionality is weird.

• Industry: Religious Institutions
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

The digital whiteboard for the 21st century

Reviewed on 2020/04/05

Mural has helped our organization up the collaborative and interactive quotient to virtual meetings. It functions similarly to a whiteboard, but in the digital space. No more taking pictures of notes and trying to digitize them later. We just work directly in Mural and can even screenshare to see the space developing and growing in real-time. It helps us organize and align our thoughts as a team, while providing an artifact for later reference.

Pros

Mural is the thing you don't think you need and resist paying for or trying because you just don't need one more digital tool in your life and workflow. Until you experience it and realize you were so wrong. It's the one tool you actually can't live without. The concept is simple: a free space to create with a simple range of options (mostly text boxes and post-it notes). Think of it like a digital whiteboard. Then try to imagine life and meetings without a physical whiteboard. Exactly.

Cons

The range of options for what you can add to a Mural is somewhat limited, but that's a key part of its success. Having too many options would be paralyzing. Once you master the basic controls and options, the sky is the limit for what you can do. Lots of templates are available to help you get started or inspire you with what others have done and the Mural team is always offering support and webinars to help you explore the tool more deeply. One thing that has frustrated new users is getting the hang of controls especially if you are using on a computer (mouse vs trackpad controls are a bit different). But that is easily solved if you can get over your initial discomfort and commit to learning something new.

Nathan L.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Digital-first collaboration

Reviewed on 2019/05/11

MURAL brings the whiteboard and the design studio wall online so that I can collaborate with clients and colleagues around the world. Now my entire workflow is in a digital medium, so I can a lot of efficiency that way.

Pros

I love that I can send anyone a link to a MURAL board and within 5 minutes they're totally comfortable using it. Yet beyond its simple on-boarding experience is a lot of flexibility that supports a wide variety of use cases.

Cons

There are some small interaction details reduce elegance: I'm not crazy about how its arrows/lines connect to notes/shapes. And it's hard to have a consistent typographic hierarchy, because text scales with shapes, and there's no other way to control type size.

A must have for remote work!

Reviewed on 2020/05/12

We use mural all the time. We use it to create timelines for projects, to lead design sessions, to discuss evaluations, and to visualize our work very often. We have created our own templates for activities that we use for project managing and design thinking often. Our team loves it, and we are a huge advocate of using it, specially if you work with a team that is remote.

Pros

Mural is awesome! The thing I love the most about mural is that it allows os to visualized our work and projects in a virtual space, and many people can access it and work from it at the same time.

Cons

It was hard to learn at first. If you are trying to get a team on board with using Mural, or a new member of the team, it can be very challenging to get them to learn. Specially if you are asking them to lead a full design session or activities that need to take place on the Mural. It takes time to get used to it.

• Industry: Consumer Goods

Game Changer for Displayed Thinking

Reviewed on 2020/04/13

Pros

This software amazes. As a displayed thinking practitioner - I have long awaited the day where paper and pen could finally be matched by digital capability. We are at the dawn of that age. Too often these tools output look like something made in Microsoft Paint. Not the case here. It's elegant is display, intuitive in UX and powerful in import (templates) and export (data) . Integration and side by side use with Office 365 suite seems flawless.

Cons

Integration of stylus based writing is needed. Some other competitors offer the ability to transform one's handwriting into functional text which is lacking here. Having a stylus input option to create a "sticky note" and use your own handwriting would be next level for this product.

Michael C.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

The new platform for thinking and making, together.

Reviewed on 2019/02/27

It's transforming the way I work and collaborate

Pros

I love creating, consuming and using templates for remote workshops. It's like doing software design, but with super direct and immediate, authentic feedback.

Cons

I dislike helping new users learn how to use it

Monisha R.

Great tool for cross-team meetings between engineering/business facing departments

Reviewed on 2020/06/23

Really instrumental to one of our recent product feature launches (I work for a SaaS company), and definitely helped unite all the teams working on the initiative.

Pros

Especially during Covid-19 remote work, this tool has been really valuable in giving the feel of "whiteboarding" that you would get from in-person meetings, only virtually. It enables everyone to contribute and makes meetings more interactive. In my personal experience, it's been a great way to unite our Customer Success / Product / Developer teams for new feature launch plans so that everyone has visibility into next steps for the project, as well as a means of providing feedback.

Cons

While I really like the zoom-in function (our team used it to "privately" write feedback suggestions in our own "space" by zooming in during a meeting, after which everything was compiled) it can be a little disorienting / easy to zoom too far in and get lost in the sheet. Very very minor suggestion.

Brittany G.

Mural is *the place* for collaboration

Reviewed on 2021/02/18

I love it. It has always helped my clients in numerous ways.

Pros

For all of my creative brainstormers, Mural is the place to kick off new and existing product development. I love that Mural offers different templates for people to get started from where they are. The templates help those with a learning curve move quicker, and then that SME is able to help the team start using the software and not feel intimidated.

Cons

I can't think of a single thing I dislike about Mural. It's easy, efficient, and has been around for a long time.

Yves gabriel C.
  • Industry: Human Resources

Staying Agile Remotely and Efficiently

Reviewed on 2020/06/15

We solve problems regarding the process and what is needed for improvements. I realized that having an online agile board really helped out the team in terms of collaboration since we really can't do much and discuss problems we are currently facing due to the pandemic, with Mural it's very easy.

Pros

The templates that are widely available in Mural are very functional and intuitive. Our team was able to adapt to the new normal of working from home thanks to Mural's agile boards/kanban boards to discuss our day to day tasks.

Cons

It can take quite some time to get used to. The sticky notes are a hit or miss sometimes since by default when you put in a note the sizing is very small. The overall symmetry and look of Mural could use some work so that it can be much more organized

• Industry: Individual & Family Services

Only tried the trial

Reviewed on 2018/06/07

Never got to try it fully

Pros

Looks great I really liked that there were so many different ways to organize information. I think this would have worked well for all the different people on my team

Cons

My team decided not to use the software because they didn't want to have to try and remember to keep it updated :(

Daniel S.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Great tool for virtual, large flipchart work

Reviewed on 2021/02/19

Great for working with large groups on issues that can be broken down into different parts, i.e. on process maps.

Pros

Compared to some other virtual flipcharts, this one allows for big picture work, i.e. you can work across a very large workspace, with different groups working on different corners, and then zooming around.

Cons

Some of the dragging items around was fiddly, and had limited shapes to add to the flipchart.

Aaron G.

Great tool for creating a whiteboard of sticky notes and sharing it.

Reviewed on 2018/02/14

Pros

Super super easy to use with nice on boarding that guides you through the setup process. Easy to share info with your team.

Cons

Sometimes it feels a little over engineered and fiddly to do things, most of the functionality is also available in apples "Preview" app for free so its hard to make the leap to a paid account.