YouTrack

The project management tool designed for agile teams.

Binigya D.
  • Industry: Computer Games

YouTrack - Track Everything

Reviewed on 2020/10/19

My time with YouTrack has been very pleasant. Apart from its few shortcomings, I have grown really fond of it, and it is really helpful in tracking and managing projects, even if you are coordinating with an external team.

Pros

YouTrack is in my opinion, THE best project management and tracking tool there is. While it doesn't have a bucketload of features, or does not come on the cheap side, it does what is does extremely well. I love its UI and UX, it really makes using YouTrack a pleasure. I love its take on making tasks and managing them via boards. It is so easy to create a task, assign it's priority and notify the people concerned. I also especially love its Git integration, which makes working it with a second nature when you are coding and you want to make a commit. If you are serious about getting a project management tool, please try this once. You will love it!

Cons

I really dislike that there is not an integrated communication platform like Basecamp in YouTrack. But it has a Slack integration, which is handy and useful. I also don't like that you don't have much theme choices, as for a tool that I will be using everyday, I would like a bit more of layouts, customizations and themes. And also, sometimes uploading files can be a buggy experience. Videos may take a long time to play, some files are indicated as uploaded but you can't view them immediately. These occur very rarely, but are a nuisance for sure.

Max S.

Bugtracker from programmers for programmers

Reviewed on 2019/01/24

Easy to use for administrators, programmers, project managers and issue reporters.
Definitely recommend for small and medium-sized teams.

Pros

- rich support for SQL-like filters and hotkey \ CLI-like interactions
- flexible and customizable
- easy to use

Cons

- some usage scenarios are not very carefully through through, e.g. when one attaches an image it's hard to copy and insert a markdown link (better if each attachment had something like "+" insert into text button)

Aman S.
  • Industry: Human Resources

Manage all your projects tickets in one place.

Reviewed on 2019/05/18

1. It works just awesome for me and fo my team.

Pros

1. The best thing i like the most is that you can set the priorities of your tickets like Critical, Major verify, Major, Normal so a developer can easily find out that on which tickets he/she have to work first.
2. If you are developing a project in a team then you can assign the tickets to the developers so that developer can easily work on those tickets which has been assigned to him/her.
3. After fixing the tickets you can also change the state of those ticket as Fixed and then after support team can easily test it and if it is fixed then tester can easily change the state to veified.

Cons

1. Still i did not find any cons in YouTrack.

Steve R.

De facto standard for ticketing system

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

Pros

It's very intuitive and makes keeping track of engineering tasks incredibly simple no. The search is fantastic also.

Cons

The search can be made very accurate when you understand some shortcuts to type into the search area. There was a learning curve with this.

• Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Good system for tracking progress

Reviewed on 2018/09/04

Pros

Easy to add step by step progress
Easy to manage my team

Cons

UI isn't pretty, lends itself to be confusing because of the UI

Malachi W.

Great Tracker

Reviewed on 2018/03/26

Pros

The clever search is very useful and it is great for keeping track of projects. One thing that is also very useful is the shortcuts which makes everything easier to use.

Cons

I like all the software by JetBrains and don't have any issue with this one, It is another great software developed by them.

Gets The Job Done But Clunky With Limited Views

Reviewed on 2019/07/24

Pros

Working with engineering team is effective this way

Cons

Monitoring, tracking and searching for work is difficult.

Excellent tool for tracking product development projects

Reviewed on 2020/06/17

We are using it to communicate with our overseas development team in order to complete work on our digital learning platform. We use it to track features, bugs, and other user stories, and discuss those stories with the team. It has proven invaluable for this project since we are using an Agile sprint methodology.

Pros

I like the ability to see Agile Boards related to our product sprints. I like being able to add screenshots or videos of bugs easily for our development team to use. I like that if I forget to save my work on a task, when I come back to the task my work is auto-saved and available to continue working on, even if I closed my browser.

Cons

It would be nice if the feature for a particular task was automatically added to a sprint when a sub-task of that feature was added to the sprint. Right now we have to tag the sprint manually for every feature.

Ignacio S.

Complete control over your team work.

Reviewed on 2018/10/21

Is very awesome. It reduce the time needed to organize the team.

Pros

Youtrack isn't the easier tool to use, I must recognize it, but we need to understand that, with all of it's features that is a necessary circumstance. Youtrack can help you a LOT when you are working with groups of people, you will know what are doing, when and who, you can measure the productivity of your team, create goals and many other things. Forget to think that it is only for programming or teams of programmers, you can use Youtrack in every scenario out there.

Cons

Lack of some integrations, I think YouTrack is as good as Jira but need some extra integrations with others useful tools.

Best issue management so far

Reviewed on 2019/07/23

Pros

For me this is the best issue management software so far. I've used others like Jira, but I really enjoy using Youtrack. Especially the query language is quite cool.

Cons

I really can't think of any, maybe the settings page, it could use some redesign.

Tim F.

YouTrack is a very powerful but easy to use issue tracking system.

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Pros

The best part of YouTrack is how easy it is to get started. You can opt to run the software on your wn server or subscribe for a cloud-hosted instance.

YouTrack is extremely powerful without being hard to use and it is very easy to integrate into your apps. Date-based swimlanes are a really useful feature.

Cons

Overall I do not have any gripes but, for some, the options available can be a bit overwhelming. Fortunately this complexity is shielded from software end users and just has to be managed by the technical support and development staff.

• Industry: Entertainment

Steep learning curve but well worth it

Reviewed on 2019/01/22

Pros

Projects are almost infinitely malleable and customizable

Cons

The solutions are not always right in front of you - a softer UX would help

Jeff H.

Super easy way to log issues with software and track progress!

Reviewed on 2017/12/19

Makes it easy to get issues filed for our software right when I hear about them.

Pros

I like that I can quickly create an issue for our software and search for other issues related to mine.

Cons

The layout is a little "clunky" so takes a little bit of time to get the "hang of it" in terms of what you need to do to submit the issue.

Hashini W.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Easy to use as a bug tracking tool

Reviewed on 2019/10/09

Use this application to track bugs and assign those bugs to the developers.

Pros

we can use this application as a bug tracker and assign to developers on task board when found bugs in applications.

Cons

Do not have a proper tutorials and guidance to use YouTrack.

Hang X.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

there's better options

Reviewed on 2019/03/15

Pros

it's some how configurable, it's really hard to list what I like the most about it

Cons

nice try JetBrain! YouTrack is part of the JetBrain family, but i don't see the same quality in YouTrack in other software like PyCharm, this is hard to use, and you have to learn new query language to be an advance user

Enrique R.

Awesome product, ahead of the competition

Reviewed on 2014/11/28

sWe tried a lot of issue/project tracking product (Jira + Greenhopper, Pivotal Tracker, LeanKit, among others). YouTrack was firts in all out categories, like: easy to use and administrate, flexible, powerful and reporting system and value (features/cost).

We have been using YT 6 months already and no complaints here.

Dayne E.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

YouTrack helps keep projects on track

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

The business I work for uses YouTrack effectively to track problems and projects to keep people on task and aware of what their responsibilities are at any given time.

Pros

The thing I like most about YouTrack is that it gives users great tools to stay on track with projects. For example, a user can identify a bug in our processing software and create a ticket. IT can then triage the ticket and assign it to the correct developer to begin the process of investigating the bug and fixing it.

That developer can post on the ticket asking for more information or indicating that it's ready for QA testing, etc. Every step along the way is catalogued for future reference.

Cons

I dislike that users (not the IT people, the lay person) cannot edit their own tickets after submitting without IT enabling the option.

Silvio B.

Probably the best tool for task tracking

Reviewed on 2019/08/17

Very nice experience I would definitely suggest it especially to a team that likes to tinker with their tools in order to make them tailored to their needs

Pros

I like the possibility to customize heavily this product. I've been working also on its workflow functionality which I've found very useful and complete. Also the docs are great and exhaustive which is a huge pro often overlooked.

Cons

I really wanted to add custom styling to our kanban board in order to change the colour of the cards from green to red based on their due date but I had no way to do it with the youtrack provided functions so I had to inject a custom script. Would be nice to have this feature!

Juan carlos R.
  • Industry: Computer Games

Best solution for project management

Reviewed on 2019/03/26

Pros

-Easy to use
-Web based
-Free for less than 5 people
-Not really expensive on the next point (15 users)
-Able to add cards to backlog
-Custom status pointers
-Sprints are super easy to create and automatically brings the unresolved issues back
-Customization of user profile
-Easy drag and drop cards on different status columns
-Can add images/files/media in cards and can add comments to the same
-Simply perfect for scrum

Cons

-Design wise is not really appealing
-Can get buggy when multiple people try moving the same card around
-Needs to be refreshed from time to time to see changes.

Martino P.

Let's track your task

Reviewed on 2020/02/08

Pros

It's very customizable, basically you can do what you want

Cons

It's very powerful but... there is a lot of stuff to learn!

Robbie D.

Great task manager for agile development

Reviewed on 2017/02/14

We've been using this for a little over a year for all issue and task tracking. It has a basic interface which admittedly could probably do with a little cleaning up but it works great. It provides all the features you need such as comments, time tracking (with different types), git integration and email updates.

Pros

git integration, comments system, time tracking, easy re/assignment.

Cons

slightly dated site styling

Walid D.

Best tracking system

Reviewed on 2019/03/27

Youtrack is Software That Make your Work easier.

Pros

Ideas Board , Developement Board , agile proces

Cons

Changing from project to others you need to rework the template

Sanford G.
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Good Ticketing System

Reviewed on 2020/08/10

We respond to other teams requests within my organization. I also have requests within my own team that are manged with this tool. Overall I am liking it so far.

Pros

This software is easy to use and doesn't take too long to learn. I was up and running within an hour of getting my rights to it.

Cons

I have not come across anything that I feel is negative about this software but I think the admins here might need more training because I am not getting all of the notifications I need.

Joshua S.

Perfect for teams of any size

Reviewed on 2017/01/09

We use it at work and it's great. It's quick, got a lot of keyboard shortcuts, and extremely customizable. We've used it when we had just a few developers and continued to use it effectively as more individuals were added to the team.

Pros

Easy to use, highly customizable, quick to set up, free to try

András P.

It is a very capable ticket and issue management system and easier to set it up than JIRA

Reviewed on 2020/09/29

I'm glad it exists, it looks nice enough to convince the management and knows enough to satisfy most of the developers too.

Pros

Ease of deployment comes first, the integration with TeamCity (CI) and the IDEA IDE itself is another thing worth mentioning, I also like the Android app. But the greatest thing is that you can freely use it with user limits on your own servers.

Cons

The upgrade process between different distributions like, war, jar, docker is not always the easiest.