Great software

Reviewed on 2020/12/31

Amazing experience. I really like their customer service, they are great and very very helpful.

Pros

Very convenient, very good. I really like their customer service, they are great and very very helpful.

Cons

A little bit expensive. It costs a lot of money, and you really need your company to pay for you. I am very lucky to have it covered using my company's account.

Joel B.

The Standard for Cloud Computing

Reviewed on 2018/05/08

Pros

The ability to spool up a server in a few minutes has always blown my mind. I had a recent server failure that resulted in me spooling up a new server to replace it. I was able to get the job done in under two hours. It would have been much faster than that if I had done it before, but there was some learning required in the process. I've documented the process, so the next time this happens, I will be able to get back up and running in minutes.

Having been in IT my whole life, this ability is quite amazing. It was the stuff of dreams over a decade ago and now I get to live it out. There are way too many good things to say about EC2. I can have multiple servers spread across the world so I can service my customers locally, instead of them having to traverse continents and oceans to hit up a server. I can attach and detach storage so I can start working from where I last started. The list goes on and on.

I want to say that there is a plethora of helpful information available to those who need support. The Amazon support information is great as well as YouTube and other informational sites. If you're Google-Fu is up to date, you can get the help you need without having to pick up the phone.

Cons

The biggest con to EC2 is the shear vastness of features, tools, and functionality. For people who are new and want to start off, there is not an easy or simple "get started here" path that I have found. There is so much to learn, and so much you will never know, that getting some help at the beginning should really be considered.

Sophia T.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

The most elastic platform available.

Reviewed on 2019/08/28

I never had problems with this platform, it is really very complete and useful, it has an extremely high level of security, it also integrates very easily and natively with other aws tools, it is a wonderful multipurpose tool, which can be used with or without the other tools of aws.

Pros

This tool is extremely versatile, serves as a vps, and as a base instance for many other aws tools, it allows me to connect to external aws platforms simply, it has a high level of configuration, customization and security. I can specifically choose each hardware component that is needed according to the needs of the projects, and the platform is ready to use in a few minutes, in addition to having a very extensive configuration panel, with many configurations, in addition to a console, which allows Work through commands directly, without opening the instance, its download and upload speed is very high and quite stable.

Cons

It is difficult for me to think of a negative aspect on this platform, however, what must be taken into account is that it is a fairly complete and complex tool to use, so the learning curve is quite steep.

Victor A.

Reviewed on 2018/04/20

Good quality machine with room for improvement.

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

Pros

Pretty easy to use. Wide documentation is available in case you get stuck somewhere. And good quality machines.

Cons

For some reason, the p3.16xlarge (8 tesla v100 GPUs) machine is outperformed by p3.8xlarge machine (4 tesla v100 GPUs) (tested on multiple GPU supported model). I was using it for ML training and p3.8xlarge was taking 27 to 28 seconds for an epoch where p3.16xlarge was taking 31 to 32 seconds for an epoch even though it is a larger machine !!!!!! It has twice computing power on paper but that does not reflect in actual performance. I am not sure what might be the reason but paying twice but slower machine does not make any sence. I hope they will fix this soon.

• Used Daily for Free Trial

Strongest compute capabilities for develoeprs

Reviewed on 2018/04/02

Pros

Incredibly easy to get started, great user community, lots of online blog and forum help, relatively well priced.

Cons

A little simplistic and lacks major enterprise features that any large company should look for when purchasing compute.

Jói S.

Reviewed on 2016/11/07

Chris G.

Reviewed on 2015/10/09

Very good cloud service to host application servers!

Reviewed on 2021/02/09

Amazon EC2 has allowed us to host our application server very quickly and easily without worrying about the setup process and security measures, as it takes care of that. Amazon EC2 also has a lot of services for server monitoring and the ability to scale up or scale down servers when required which reduces operational costs as we only scale up when there is heavy load & scale down otherwise only paying for what we use. I am happy with Amazon EC2

Pros

Amazon EC2 has a wide variety of instances with various operating systems and hardware options to choose from, this ensures that we are able to select the server we need and have to pay only for that which helps in cost saving. It has options to interact with the server via application libraries, command line terminal & its dashboard which helps in managing the server. Amazon AWS also has other products that integrate really well and easily with Amazon EC2 making it the go-to choice for hosting application servers.

Cons

Amazon EC2 has a learning curve that a beginner may find difficult to grasp easily & quickly also its dashboard user interface is quite complex with a lot of options and it is easy for someone to get confused and overwhelmed by it.

Francis A.
  • Industry: Banking

AWS EC2 review

Reviewed on 2020/06/20

Easy to launch an EC2 instance into different subnets and regions

Pros

A very user friendly interface. easy to navigate and setup

Cons

The free tier eligible instance is just 1gb ram. cant really do much with it

Antonio M.

The best solution for all your computational needs

Reviewed on 2021/02/04

We used it to host the web app we were developing, together with all other websites we were making for that business. We even hosted our newspaper website WordPress setup with Amazon. The developers were extremely happy with Amazon services and were in touch with people from Amazon who were amazingly nice whenever I interacted with them.

Pros

Whatever we needed, Amazon supported. They even had a Wordpress hosting environment that we could transfer our newspaper website to.

Cons

The price was not low as we had a need for a large number of machines and the amounts quickly added up, but it was still manageable.

• Used Other for 2+ years

Simple cloud virtual machine hosting

Reviewed on 2019/10/03

EC2 has provided me with excellent, low-cost VM hosting in the cloud for many years

Pros

EC2 is a game-changing technology that enables you to rapidly spin up a virtual machine in the cloud at very low cost

Cons

Compared to newer on-demand hosting options, the EC2 model is less flexible

Daniel Z.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Great for spinning up instances of our site

Reviewed on 2020/05/27

We use it as a development team to spin up servers and build instances of our software for testing purposes.

Pros

Amazon EC2 is a convenient way to spin up an instance of a site for testing purposes by basically mimicking the installation and configuration that you would have on a computer.

Cons

I would be nice if the overall process could be a little less painful to set up and to integrate. But overall I think it works really well.

Les P.

pretty good for tech heads

Reviewed on 2017/12/21

Pros

Extremely customizable ... you can set it up virtually any way you like to with virtually any operating system. Get your automated deployment system working in conjunction with this and you are set.

Cons

you have to figure it out for yourself. The tutorials are quite dense and the cusomizability makes it complex. Everything is an option with choices that you may not understand or be aware of.

David C.

Amazon EC2

Reviewed on 2016/04/28

We've been using Amazon EC2 for years and the way it allows us to buy high computing requirements without having to make an upfront investment as we're prototyping is really useful.

You still need to know your way around servers, automation, security, etc but it's very useful.

Pros

Understanding how to deploy for the cloud is essential. Once you know how to do it, you can easily end up with an extremely resilient infrastructure which would have typically required a large investment.

Cons

To use and automate your infrastructure as well as use the other associated products, you will need to be quite advanced in computing technologies.

Umair ali K.
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

A comprehensive platform with great support.

Reviewed on 2020/07/13

it is has a comprehensive solutions for many types of scenarios and the support is also very quick and responsive in helping you all the time.

Pros

it has easy to use user interface.
it is very simple to select and setup a Virtual machine if you know all the requirements.
the types of available machines are more than enough for any kind of usage.
the free trial version is also more than enough to test the platforms capabilities.

Cons

the cost of basic machines are fine but the cost grows very quickly as you get to higher end machines and some of them are very expensive.

Patrick D.

Very Impressive Dynamic Platform

Reviewed on 2016/01/29

I have been using the Amazon EC2 web services since they deployed it several years ago and I have to admit Amazon is leading not only in the online retail goods sales space but they are now encroaching upon the online cloud space which is very ubiquitous in 2016.

Pros

Let's be honest, everyone from Google, Apple to Dropbox is attempting to capture this market. I've been extremely impressed with Amazon's open source integration into virtually all other services especially e-commerce which is why I recommend this app.

Cons

Gosh, I have to admit there really haven't been any Cons in my opinion which is why I recommend this app.

Joseph j. k. W.
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Amazon EC2 - The original in cloud computing

Reviewed on 2019/11/12

Pros

EC2 is simple (in concept), scalable, cost-effective and comes with the latest in features, software, and administration tools. Great documentation and useful community.

Cons

It is a complex product in implementation. And can get expensive if you don't know what you are doing!

Matt U.

Reviewed on 2016/01/27

Brendan J.

Reviewed on 2019/05/27

Extensible with Plentiful Integrations

Reviewed on 2020/05/10

EC2 gives us the ability to automate a lot of our infrastructure installations. Along with the ability to bid on spot machines to make our server costs low.

Pros

Amazon EC2 handles a lot of our server infrastructure and has in incredible amount of features to help deploy our products in a fast and scaleable fashion. Having integrations with other software allows us to use EC2 in an automated simple "key-turn" clusters.

Cons

The thing a least like about EC2 is how rigid creating resources are. Editing things like machine sizes, flavors, and such is not as intuitive. Along with having different sections/consoles for managing instance configurations like networks or security groups.

Juan carlos G.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Your computer on the cloud

Reviewed on 2021/02/11

Very good option for cloud computing i recomend it to anyone but you should be ready to read everything to avoid unnecesary costs.

Pros

Easy to setup any machine needed in your enterprise
Capable of setup specific images and replicate them several times.
Compatible with most OS in te market Windows ,linux ,etc.
several prize options.
Several hardware options and can be scaled anytime

Cons

We have an issue with incorrect setup of elastic ip of a computed and it cost us like 250 Dollars for unsetup static ip.

• Industry: Media Production

EC2 - a great cloud offering

Reviewed on 2020/12/18

Overall I'm really pleased with AWS in general, from EC2 instances to s3 storage, to all the other services they offer. Its a great cloud option.

Pros

AWS EC2 offering is a great option for utilizing "the cloud", it's one of the best cloud options I've used on many levels

Cons

For me there was a slight learning curve to the command line interface, but thats to be expected, all the cloud providers would have this learning curve.

• Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

EC2 decreases significant amount of time to go live!

Reviewed on 2019/09/26

We are using EC2 with Elastic Beanstalk for our large web application with both Tomcat and Nodejs apps. It is being scaled when the traffic increases and scales up very efficiently. Yet, it is being expensive but it provides us to focus on development instead of maintenance.

Pros

Amazon EC2 has broad choices of setup and configuration depending on your budget. It provides you a lot that you nearly dont need to maintain the instance at all. It also provides you load balancers that you can use it with and you can be sure that your application will scale when needed. If you are using the EC2 with Elastic Beanstalk it will be very easy to deploy and go live.

Cons

It is an expensive service full plus. But you can consider that you are not going to need that much of maintenance power so you can decrease your cost by looking from that perspective.

Winston M.

A great choice for scalable projects.

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

My experience in general with this software has been very positive, it has served me for different types of projects, and even projects outside of aws, since the tool can be easily integrated with other sources, be it other websites, databases, computers, etc. It also integrates very well with the other tools of aws.

Pros

What I like most about Amazon EC2 is that it is a tool that has many uses is very versatile and allows me to customize the requirements that I need according to the project that I am developing, I can increase the amount of ram, hdd, processor memory easily from the website, it also has a high level of security, and allows you to manually configure many functions, such as ports, tasks, the control panel from the website is very intuitive and with many features, it also has a command line for more cases specific.

Cons

It is an easy-to-use tool for basic use, however for something more specific it is really complex, the most difficult to learn to use is the console, it has many commands.