Showing 73 reviews of 61

Lectora

Web-based interactive content authoring software

Showing 73 reviews of 61
Heidi S.

Lectora Review

Reviewed on 2020/11/05

We have used Lectora for over 10 years and find it to be the most stable authoring software, and the most flexible if we need to add additional programming outside of what is available within Lectora.

Pros

This is the most powerful and flexible authoring software, although there is a learning curve. It is great for those that are responsible for developing eLearning.

Cons

Support has not been as responsive as they used to be. However, now that ELB is in charge, I'm sure that will change for the better. When new updates are released, there can be problems when updating older courses because the new programming does not always match to previous programming.

Response from eLearning Brothers

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and for highlighting one of Lectora's greatest strengths, the flexibility to meet any learning need. Customer support is also very important to us. In addition to making continuous improvements to Lectora, we are committed to providing an exceptional customer experience, and look forward to demonstrating that commitment first hand.

Tyson R.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Lectora Inspire for Online Course Development

Reviewed on 2018/10/04

We use Lectora Inspire to create all of our online training. There is a learning curve for the system but I found it very intuitive once I began creating content. I have used a few other authoring tools in my career and Lectora is my personal preference.

The downfalls of the system are offset by the additional software that comes included in this package. While there are some changes I would love to see, my overall experience with Lectora is positive and I would recommend it over the other tools I have used.

Pros

- Makes great courses
- Can output projects to a number of formats (scorm, AIC, etc).
- Continuous updates
- Software fits the needs of any experience level
- Allows for total customization of courses
- Responsive design feature allows you to optimize your course for different hardware (tablets, phones, and PC) without having to create three entirely different courses
- The Lectora Inspire package also includes the a screen capture and image editing software called Snagit and the video recording/editing software Camtasia. These are great additions and I use Snagit many times throughout the day.
- Reviewlink is another addition to the software package that allows courses to be easily shared among stakeholders and evaluators before the course is uploaded to our learning management system.

Cons

- Terrible customer support. The one time I've actually been able to get ahold of someone, they insisted that the problem was due to my computer. Thankfully, every time I encountered a problem, I was able to solve it using Google.
- Many of the advanced features are inaccessible meaning they do not meet Section 508 requirements.
- The training that they provide on the software is very overpriced. Hundreds of dollars just to have someone walk you through a manual page by page.
- Compared to competitors, the price for the Inspire package is justified. However, it is still expensive in general than I believe it really should be.

Art O.

Features and Flexibilty

Reviewed on 2020/12/24

Lectora has allowed me to publish eLearning. It is the bedrock of my business.

Pros

The use of variables allow me to do just about anything I can imagine. there are several built in but I can add as many as I want and then reference them when building actions.

Cons

A few years back Lectora changbed the way I can add "events" in an audio file. I used to be able to open up the audio file and place a trigger in the wave form in the exact spot where I needed it. I can't do that anymore and it is not as accurate.

Response from eLearning Brothers

Hi Art, we are so sorry you are running into issues with the audio files. We reached out to see if you can meet with us one-on-one. I think you will also see a huge improvement with support since Lectora is now owned by eLearning Brothers. We truly appreciate your loyalty and our clients are our top priority. We're looking forward to meeting with you.

Lectora is quite simply the best authoring tool in the world.

Reviewed on 2020/11/17

Pros

Its ability to produce content simply and rapidly, whilst also having extraordinary flexibility and capability.

Cons

Its not free, but seriously no authroing tool can be all things, so Lectora has very few limitations (I cannot think of any) but if all you want is a page of text with image and few simple clicks, then go and get something for free - or build something in google slides.

Response from eLearning Brothers

Thank you for the review! We truly appreciate your comments and value your loyalty.

Will H.

The power of Lectora

Reviewed on 2020/11/05

I have used, trained and supported Lectora for over 5 years and have always found a way to achieve what the desired outcome.

Pros

Lectora has an amazing amount of customisation options and power if you know what you are doing.

Cons

Lectora can be intimidating if you are used to “lighter” tools. But it is worth learning how to use properly.

Response from eLearning Brothers

Thank you for your review and highlighting the customization abilities with Lectora. We are committed to continued improvements to the software, including methods to assist authors at all skill levels. For readers of this review, be sure to check out our rockstar.elearningbrothers.com community where fellow eLearning developers actively engage in conversations.

Jay N.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

I have been using Lectora Online years. It is a very powerful and collaborative authoring...

Reviewed on 2017/08/23

Collaboration with other designers and the ability to great courses without being limited by authoring tool limitations.

Pros

If you can imagine it, it will probably do it. I love the ability to collaborate with other designers on the same project.

Cons

A little, and I do mean a little, harder to learn than its less powerful competitors. The learning curve is a little longer but the pay off is totally worth it.

Kelly M.
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Lectora is an authoring tool that allows creation of engaging online training without much...

Reviewed on 2017/09/06

Allows me to streamline my job and gives me tools to create more engaging online training.

Pros

I love how you can integrate eLearning Brother templates with ease. This saves SO much time. I also like how easy it is to publish to SCORM and upload to our LMS.

Cons

I wish there were better image editing tools within the software. I find myself going to other programs to edit or enhance images.

Franziska H.

intuitive, flexible, my favourite tool

Reviewed on 2017/06/28

Pros

What I like about Lectora is, that it is more flexible than other authoring tools, especially when it comes to including your own code.

Cons

I don't like that there are often problems with our exisiting titles when a new version is released.

• Industry: Individual & Family Services

Lectora is an ideal program to carry out training programs

Reviewed on 2018/08/09

Pros

Lectora is a software with multiple functions, has a range of integrated tools that allow the user to freely develop their ideas in addition to a system of guides that guide the use of these tools and solutions to possible problems that may arise. It is useful when you want to perform exemplifications that help in the learning of third parties through interactive videos. If you can visualize it, you can also create it, in an easy and practical way.

Cons

Start using the program can be a bit complicated at first, but with patience and with the use of the guides you can know all the functions. In addition you must be careful with the updates, installing the new immediately is not always good

Nick S.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

A more advanced authoring tool that requires more know how than industry leading tools.

Reviewed on 2017/06/27

It was the first authoring tool I used in the industry, as a previous web developer, I loved the ability to hack lectora and make it do things that I can't do in other software. Review Link is a nice benefit, however it's missing a few features that keep it from being our go-to review tool. I also enjoy the cutout library subscription to eLearning brothers that comes with our maintenance program.

Pros

There are some features (best in class xAPI implementation, hack-ability of the output) that allows for really crazy complex output. The action groups are a killer feature, as well as the ability to inherit items on chapters, scenes, pages, etc.

Cons

The UI is a little kludgy, the learning curve is steeper than a lot of other authoring tools such as Storyline.

Chris F.

Lectora Inspire is the go-to product to build online training

Reviewed on 2017/07/03

Pros

A very robust software package that enables a user to create training that can be distributed on multiple platforms.

Cons

The learning curve to adequately use the software is quite high. Although there is online support there is a lot of trial and error involved to get a project built from the ground up however after a user gets the hang of the software there is no limit to what can be designed.

Akhilesh K.

A true delight for e-learning developers

Reviewed on 2018/02/15

Pros

1) Interface is very use to use and learning curve , though steep initially , is easily surmountable with some effort with the help they offer.

2) The courses made are perfectly mobile responsive . This is not the case with some of the other products in direct competition with Lectora .

3) The breadth of content types that can be developed is just awesome.

Cons

Pricing is just too steep for small entrepreneurs to adapt Lectora . A low priced option with core features should be introduced too .

• Industry: Restaurants

Slow Going

Reviewed on 2018/12/05

Pros

This software can get the job done if you require the most basic of courses.

Cons

in my opinion, this is the least worthwhile elearning authoring tool on the market. Compared to Storyline and Captivate, this program feels clunky and hard to design in.

Dave O.
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Lectora Online used Globally

Reviewed on 2020/11/09

I really enjoy Lectora Online. I wish I could spend more of my time developing and organizing the tool for our global training teams because this tool has the capability to make a huge impact on leading a Global training organization like no other.

Pros

Having a tool that can allow teams globally to work on projects is invaluable. Auto back up of all projects is great. Adding the text to speech is a nice touch. Now having the ability to import PPT slides inside a title using a corporate template was a much appreciated addition.

Cons

Syncing audio with on screen animations (having a timeline similar to Articulate/Storyline) would be great.
Having built in functionality to add the audio script to each slide to be able to be read. Having some built in games again (jeopardy, basketball, skiing down a slope, etc.) like the flash games that was in previous versions. The responsive design is a bit clunky at times and could use some improvement. I have had a couple internal teams say that tools like Articulate 360 handles responsive design better.

Response from eLearning Brothers

Hi Dave, thank you so much for your review! I passed on your comments to Joe (chief architect) and rest assured, a timeline is coming!

Carlo T.

A great tool to create online courses

Reviewed on 2020/11/10

A powerful tool that lets you create any kind of elearning content, from highly interactive educational games and scenario-based learning courses to PowerPoint-like SCORM modules.

Pros

It is a powerful development tool that allows easy integration of many technologies into online courses. You can add tons of features by connecting Lectora to PHP, JSP, Javascript, HTML and so on. It has on the other side the easy of use of a visual editing tool.
Among the other features, the capability to preview and edti mobile applications both in portrait and landscape orientation for tablet and smartphones alike.

Cons

The learning curve of the more advanced features is somewhat steep for people not accustomed to software development. If no advanced features are required, even people without IT skills can create SCORM modules in a matter of a few hours with Lectora.

Response from eLearning Brothers

Great review! Thank you for underscoring the flexibility of Lectora to build content in multiple ways, including the extensibility to incorporate other web technologies. We greatly value long-time users like you and want you to know we are committed to continuous innovation and improvement.

Brandi B.
  • Industry: Building Materials

Lectora = MOST ROBUST authoring software

Reviewed on 2020/11/05

Pros

I love how creative a designer can be with the tool. There's not a lot of limitations within the software. Users can build everything right in the tool, or integrate external graphics, audio, video, code, etc. to expand its capability. Lectora grows with the developer. In other words, it can be used a the most basic level (with templates), or it can be the perfect for the most skilled/advanced developer. As skills grow, developers can continue to apply those skills to build more and more robust/interactive courses with Lectora.

Cons

Some of the features (especially when first released) can be a little clunky. Over the years (I've used Lectora since 2010) the tool has really been improved with regard to user interface.

Response from eLearning Brothers

Thank you for sharing how Lectora supports the limitless creativity of our authors! We are always amazed by the variety of incredible content. We greatly appreciate you being a long time user and want you to know we are committed to continued improvements to the software, including methods to assist authors at all skill levels.

Matthew D.
  • Industry: Insurance
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

I really enjoy Lectora because it is almost limitless it what you can do with the software.

Reviewed on 2017/06/05

Being able to create a wide variety of activities and different learning modules. Being able to really think outside the box and not be limited to what the software can do.

Pros

I think the best feature of Lectora is being able to import almost any media into the software. This allows the user to take a variety of assets and combine them into one learning module. Also, Lectora offers a wide range of actions that you can assign to assets, pages, and the complete module itself. This allows the developer to almost create any kind of activity, learning module, or idea the developer can think of. There hasn't been anything yet that I have thought of for an activity, and haven't been able to create it somehow with the Lectora software.

Cons

The software can have a steep learning curve to it. There is other software that can be used for eLearning creation that is easier to learn. If your company is really looking for top notch, robust software, Lectora is the way to go. Even with the steep learning curve, Trivantis has an amazing community that offers a lot of support and ideas for Lectora. Unless you have a dedicated developer to Lectora, this may not be the best software to use.

Christopher S.

Very Responsive, Feature Loaded

Reviewed on 2020/11/11

It helps differentiate our learning solutions from that of the competition. Theirs are rather two dimensional and limited in presentation.

Pros

I like the fact there are some many nuances to the features. Every week, I encounter something new. It really helps to keep our offerings very competitive and fresh.

Cons

Some of the features take time to learn, but that can be said of any complex solution. The more advanced the features, the more time you need to invest to maximize your potential. That trade-off is to be expected.

Response from eLearning Brothers

Thank you, Chris, for the great review! You made some grade points! We are starting to roll out new videos to help users take advantage of more complex features.

John J.
  • Industry: Government Administration
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Powerful program without needing to code

Reviewed on 2017/07/03

The ability to be able to create custom SCORM training that interfaces with multiple platforms.

Pros

Maximum flexibility in course design.You are free to apply what you want and how you want to your training course then point and click scripting allows you to put your custom interaction to the training without needing a degree in coding.

Cons

Because the program is powerful and not a cookie cutter you are going to need some training to get up and running. But once you get a little experience you will be very glad on the investment. Tons of free nugget training can walk you though each item. Great community and conference backing you up.

Luci U.

Lectora is the Cadillac of content development software. Quick and helpful tech support!

Reviewed on 2017/06/27

Can publish with SCORM to multiple LMS possibilities. Great test and survey functionality.

Pros

Many options for test and survey questions -- especially like the multiple answer multiple choice questions and the ability to insert graphics. I have found the tech support to be superb on most occasions - -which is paramount -- quick and efficient response to problems.

Cons

I need more control over the bullet and numbering in terms of indention and spacing., especially with multiple levels of outline. Would like more kerning and leading possibilities. Also need more shapes to use.

Brian R.

I've been using Lectora for over 10 years and have always been pleased with the software.

Reviewed on 2017/06/27

Rapid development, complex functionality, adherence to learning standards, reliable performance.

Pros

The complexity of pages I can create with variables, actions, and conditions. Coming into a project, I feel like there's no challenge I can't overcome with the software.

Cons

Many of my clients expect the "resizable" attribute you get when viewing Flash generated content. The addition of responsive design has helped alleviate much of this concern. Being limited to executing a single animation on an object at one time is limiting.

John C.

great out of the box authoring tool

Reviewed on 2017/09/05

Pros

Lectora is a good e authoring tool, it comes with a lot of built in elements that allows you to buy courses immediately with very little training. It is very intuitive and very easy to use. If you have any experience with other tools this will be an easy transition. The customer support is great and it's a great tool.

Cons

Doesn't have as much variety as storyline but it's easier to use than captivate and is great for a beginner to get into.

Cyndi T.
  • Industry: Insurance
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Not the most interactive

Reviewed on 2019/12/03

Lectora is our current go to application for E-learning Development. It gets the job done and creates functional E-Learning courses for our employees.

Pros

Once a course is created, it is super easy to make updates when needed. Communicates well with our LMS.

Cons

Wish the software could create more interactive courses using more modern technology. This software seems outdated compared to some of the other software out there now.

Brenda R.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization
  • Used Other for 2+ years

I am a non tech person and have found Lectora easy to use.

Reviewed on 2017/07/05

Pros

Ease of use. Our organization will go months without using the software and it is easy to pick it up and get reacquainted with it.

Cons

The biggest challenge I experience is incorporating videos into my on line courses. I master it and then do not use it for several months and struggle again.

Ian R.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Great eLearning development project. Very collaborative.

Reviewed on 2017/08/08

Great custom developed eLearning courses.

Pros

The things that I like the least about the Lectora product online is Collaboration, ease of use, and the flow of development.

Cons

The thing that I like the least about the Lectora product online is the Integration between Desktop version and On-Line version.