Blackbaud Altru

Ticketing, membership, admissions & fundraising

Altru by Blackbaud Review

Reviewed on 2019/03/21

I know a good amount how to deal with things on Altru, but if something comes up that you don't know, it's not always self-explanatory how to get done what you need to get done. Sometimes you have click on quite a series of things that you would never things to click on to make something happen. That being said, it doesn't seem to glitch often, which is nice. Again, having all the needed resources right there in one software is a helpful.

Pros

I love the amount that you can do on Altru and that it can all be done in one place. Whether it's keeping our volunteers organized, scheduling tours, selling event tickets, etc., it can all be done right there in Altru.

Cons

There are multiple ways you can do everything. Rather than having one concise way to do each action, you have to search to find many not simple ways to do everything. Sometimes, screens look slightly different on different computers as well, even though they've all been updated. It's amazing how much you can do, but it would be so much easier if the methods used were more concise.

Wide-ranging data management software with improving support/training options.

Reviewed on 2018/04/02

Pros

Covers every aspect of museum data management, from fundraising to programs to events and more. Excellent customization of data queries to manage data and run reports. Offers many levels of depth, to serve both front-line staff and power users.

Cons

Little/no training and support offered until very recently. Limited customization of layout, view options, colors, and categories in constituent records. Sometimes requires many, many clicks to achieve simple goals/record changes/reports.

An improvement over our previous system, but still needs some fine tuning

Reviewed on 2018/06/06

Pros

We now have the ability to get a true look at all the ways our constituents are interacting with our organization. Prior to implementation, our organization was very siloed, with each department using separate databases.

Cons

The product has a long way to go with the web forms and email functionality. It would be great to have usable metrics for online behavior.

Sharon E.
  • Industry: Fine Art

Managing the Financial Side of the Museum

Reviewed on 2017/06/07

I came in Sept 2015. Altru and FE were here but not talking to each other. Neither had data you could use. With the help and assistance from the Blackbaud team I now have two databases that are functionally and talk to each other. Month end closing is a breeze. People are now trusting the reports being produced. I am looking forward to the upgrade to FE NXT which we will have soon.

Pros

Ease our museum covered from admission fees, to Setting up events in the future, and school tours.

Cons

Set up for Summer camp needs to be addressed so that daily reports can be processed better than now.

Christian T.

completely cloud based, and allows unlimited user licenses at no extra charge, so you can sell...

Reviewed on 2018/03/20

Pros

Altru can be accessed from anywhere. If we hold an event off-site, we can still handle admissions/registrations so long as there is a network.

Cons

There is no online sales for merchandise.
The online shopping experience needs improvement. Visitors expect Amazon-level ease-of-use and Altru just isn't there yet.

Celina D.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Well Rounded Software

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

I think i's a great software all around for any organization

Pros

I appreciate all of the options and customization that Altru offers. It's great for keeping track of tours, donations, events, ticket sales, etc. It is a great all around management program for any organization

Cons

I think the navigation on Altru can be a bit tricky. It takes a while to get used to it, but when you get the hang of it, it gets a little easier.

Jim N.

Easy to use and unencumbered with unnecessary features

Reviewed on 2015/06/19

Easy to use and learn. Selling online through web for memberships, donations, and events has become easier to set up along with creating email acknowledgments.

William (bill) S.

After 8 years we have found the promised land!

Reviewed on 2018/06/22

Pros

The support and the solution go hand in hand. We went "live" just over 12 months and we are learning more and more everyday on how we can leverage the solution. 100% integrated with our accounting. Blackbaud has setup a platform that is engaging and interactive for users to connect with others in the community as well as developers. The solution is improving and so are we.

Cons

Sometimes we find development improvements that seem critical to our organization to take longer then we would like. But we live in a day of instant gratification and once recognized we can be patient.

Elizabeth D.

We have had Altru for around a year now and overall I am very happy with its performance.

Reviewed on 2016/03/01

I love that Altru is constantly receiving updates and that the customer service team really does listen to feedback from the customers. I also think the customer service is wonderful and always available - which is great! I also really appreciate that the system is very intuitive. Once you get the basics down, you can pretty much figure it out - and if you cant, there are tons of resources to help you. I do wish the reporting was a little better and more concise. It seems like there are always 5 different reports that all pretty much do the same things, just in a slightly different way. It would be nice if some of these reports were combined and more filters were added so you could more easily customize one report for what you need and not have to look at three different reports to get the numbers required. I also wish that the system was a little quicker. There are some days where the system can bring our front of house line to a crawl because it is responding so slowly. It is not all the time, and it is not always a very very long wait - but even a 30 second lag time can seem like eternity to front of house staff & to guests. I also wish that we could customize some things to better fit our business specifically, and not always have to come up with work-arounds for little things. Overall I am very very happy with Altru and think it is an amazing system.

Dave J.
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

Altru is a powerful tool to capture and analyze data to make strategic decisions

Reviewed on 2017/09/22

Pros

Ease of use for an entry-level user. The system has an incredible ability to capture and relate data. Customer support for individual issues is very strong. The ability to automate regular procedures (renewal notices, new member mailings, etc.) is very strong. The web forms are quite easy to use, once you get the hang of them, though they are difficult to customize.

Cons

E-mail formatting is a little wonky. The query tools are so robust that they come across as daunting, even for high-end users. Written support is somewhat weak (and Knowledgebase difficult for me to navigate), which causes me to rely on (the excellent) one-on-one customer support more than I would like.

Sarah N.
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

Only if you like to spend your money for nothing

Reviewed on 2020/06/22

Unfortunate. Don't expect support, or anyone to get back to you. If they do get back to you it's going to be a while. I hope it isn't importat.

Pros

This software is expansive and is probably intuitive if you have an IT background.

Cons

This is a cumbersome and difficult software. If you have IT to work on this full time, or can commit to it for 40 hours a week it's probably great. Don't expect to get any significant support to make this operational. They will tell you to get your IT to do it. It's painful. Avoid.

Sandy T.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Review of Blackbaud Altru

Reviewed on 2020/11/04

frustrating

Pros

At the time we selected it there was little else available on the market that did so much, especially of rarts organizations

Cons

Altru proved unruly to manage / non-intuitive / overly expensive, espoecially as new products came along, like Bloomerang

• Used Other for 2+ years

Definitely not a great took for volunteer management

Reviewed on 2018/09/26

Pros

From what I can see, this software looks like it could be a great tool for some applications. As I mean it is great for the money if you are looking to have a tool to maintain unlimited accounts, but that is really the only true good aspect of it.

Cons

I have head to use the software for volunteer management at several locations, and to be honest besides from keeping track of personal information the volunteer side is terrible. They trying to force you to buy they're really expensive side a volunteer management, but there are better programs out there for much cheaper. To give you an example, to run a report you literally have to go through 8 to 10 steps and hope it is what you're looking for. It is really not user friendly

Jesse B.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Lead Analyst

Reviewed on 2015/02/27

Pros

Flexibility in use across platforms and user base with existing infrastructure.

Cons

The deployment process across platforms can sometimes be overwhelming for novice users.

Chelsea D.

Altru does it all!

Reviewed on 2018/12/13

I have been using Altru for about a year in a database management position. There were so many training resources available when I first started, and continued support from our account manager and chat support. There is an article for every problem I could run into. It has been a great experience learning how to use this database and implementing the use of awesome features that we weren't previously using!

Pros

I love that my company doesn't have to have many different databases to perform various tasks. Altru allows us to have a complete 360 view of our organization and our customers. We use it for all of our CRM needs - ticketing, programs, special events, donors, memberships, revenue reporting, etc. The support available through the parent company Blackbaud is so helpful for working out the kinks, as well.

Cons

This software is very expensive. Especially since the primary organizations who use Altru are non-profits.

Altru

Reviewed on 2019/01/21

Not a bad product. Please add a point of sake tool for gift shops!! Hey

Pros

Easy to use database for non-profits. Great tool for data analysis.

Cons

I would like to see a built in capacity for point of sale. I currently have to use two services when I could just use one.

Gillian A.

comprehensive product that has been very useful so far

Reviewed on 2016/04/20

It's worked well for our newly-expanded museum over the past year. We've got a growing membership program (~12,000 members) and our highest visitation and we can find that information we need for reporting from the reports and queries. For the most part, we've been satisfied with what Altru has to offer.

For the areas we find lacking (mostly volunteer management and merchandise), support offers a page where you can contribute an idea for improvement to be voted on, and we have seen some of these implemented in the update releases which are scheduled every 45-90 days. We are only in our first year of use, but I think down the road we will have the majority of our needs figured out.

The interface is relatively easy to learn for basic tasks (e.g. daily sales) and query can be used for more complex information, although we do wish there were more reports straight out of the program. The support team is very knowledgeable and readily available and the Altru Community is full of other users who can also help you through your specific question or issue.

Audrey M.

Worth the work

Reviewed on 2015/11/29

We have been with Altru for over three years and in that time have seen constant improvement and updates to the product. Their support staff is the best I have ever seen with any software company. Altru is a very detailed system and it covers so many areas that have so many intertwining cogs that it can be difficult to navigate for some users and it can be a bit cumbersome. However, they are continually updating the product to make it easier to use and cut down on some of the steps, which helps. Overall, it's worth it because being able to track so much of our data in one system, giving us a well-rounded view of our constituents and how people are interacting with our organization is incredibly helpful.

Adam C.
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

A complete non-profit fundraising and ticketing tool

Reviewed on 2019/07/09

Initially, we saved tens of thousands of dollars migrating our POS, CRM, and online ticketing platforms to the single Altru platform. We've never regretted it. That was about seven years ago, and we're still happily using it. Altru generally does everything we want it to do. It's great for admissions and event ticketing but not a great tool for email marketing or running a gift shop, though it does send bulk emails and allows you to sell merchandise. If you have an email marketing tool or gift shop software, keep it.

Pros

All our donor, patron, and visitor information is in one place, secure in the cloud. We rely on Altru to keep all our sales, donor, and member records together so we can see all the ways our constituents connect with us. This also makes reporting much easier, having all earned and contributed revenue recorded in one database. This also makes training easier, as there's only one system that many of our staff need to learn and interact with, everyone from ticket sellers to fundraisers. Finally, using one cloud-based system requires fewer administrators and no server hardware, streamlining staff and IT costs.

Cons

The financial and revenue setup can be intimidating, since there's a general ledger behind all the sales and revenue transactions. A general ledger must be set up, fiscal years created, transactions mapped, payment types created, payment methods created, etc. It can be daunting without a background in accounting or bookkeeping. You will need a trained financial professional to help oversee the financial configuration. Blackbaud will help you set this up initially, but you will need someone knowledgeable to oversee those parts.

Shannon K.

6 Reasons that Altru Rocks

Reviewed on 2015/06/22

The RISD Museum has been using Altru for almost 3 years. While some aspects of the product could use improvement specifically web forms, email analytics, and merchandise there are many ways that Altru rocks:

1. The conversion of our old data went very smoothly. The database experts at Blackbaud were extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
2. Second, Altru is very easy to use. Our Visitor Services staff was up and running at the front desk with only an introductory session and some in-person support that first week.
3. Altru tech support at Blackbaud has been more responsive and helpful than any other software company I've worked with. They understand my work, not just the software.
4. You don't have to be a database expert to become an expert at Altru. My team members have taken ownership of their data and processes. I love sitting in a meeting and having someone else say, "Did you know you can do this in Altru? Here's what I'm doing and I think it will work for you."
5. Blackbaud is actively trying to improve the product. I've personally been involved with discovery by development teams working on reporting/queries and security/access.
6. The Altru Community is very active and supportive. Often, I don't need an answer to how the software works. I know how to make the software work but sometimes there are multiple right ways to do something. So my question is more about best practices and how others are doing it. It's helpful to hear what has worked at similar organizations and what hasn't.

The bottom line is that there are pluses and minuses with any enterprise system. We evaluated six different systems before selecting Altru and chose based on what we thought would work best for our organization, our team members, and our business processes. As someone once told me, when you buy an enterprise system, you're not just buying software, you're also buying a business model. It turns out that Altru does, indeed, work well for the RISD Museum.

Lisa H.

My experience with Altru began about 2 years ago. It was easy to use and had many useful...

Reviewed on 2018/05/15

Reporting and database management

Pros

I really enjoy all the reporting and smart queries Altru can produce. It allows your job to be much easier and efficient. I also really am impressed and appreciate the customer support. Since I'm fairly new to Altru, I have a lot of questions. Knowing someone is there to assist means a lot to me.

Cons

Some of the features are great but at times you have to do 5 other steps in order for something to work. If there was a SOP for everything in Altru already created...I'd be in heaven.

Stella M.
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

System is difficult to use

Reviewed on 2021/03/02

Pros

Blackbaud Altru has many types of uses, from POS to Donation center, the system has functions for every part of our staff in our museum, from Admissions to events and fundraising.

Cons

The system is extremely difficult to work with - the system is complicated to set up memberships, membership renewals, ticket sales, and unfortunately, doesn't work well with other systems since it was first created so long ago... There are manuals and courses to learn about the system, but they are very time consuming, taking 3 hours or more per course sometimes.

Dan P.
  • Industry: Fine Art

Jack of all trades, master of none

Reviewed on 2015/11/16

Pros

It has allowed us to consolidate almost all of our operations into one database and get a more complete view of our patrons and donors! They are constantly updating it, which is good! And their support team is excellent.

Cons

Like my title suggests, you will most certainly find frustrating things about this product. The biggest letdown of this product is the merchandise module. Do not expect to be able to use it unless you run a very small gift shop. My larger frustration is that Blackbaud's teams didn't seem to communicate with each other or take lessons learned when building different products. Raiser's Edge is a leading product in the development world, Altru should have essentially been built around Raiser's Edge with the additional features needed for an Arts & Culture org, but instead they built an entirely different system with it's own quirks and issues and lacks functionality that Raiser's Edge has. As I understand it, though, Blackbaud is working hard to change this, as well as unify their product line, so this review may change soon enough!

Jasmin P.
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

Altru helps us keep appointments and track payments

Reviewed on 2017/11/09

It helps us keep everything straight. We are able to track multiple payment types for many different activities.

Pros

Altru has a wonderful feature of copying appointments and holding them for you to reschedule. I love how there is a database of clients and you can easily search for them. Once selected it will automatically fill in all of the information.

Cons

It is not very user friendly for new users. If a mistake is made there isn't a way to undo it. Sometimes there are issues with payments when entered and you have to go in and delete the payment type and write it in yourself. I also don't like how when you check in a group it automatically submits their payment (box is checked automatically). If you don't remember to uncheck it there is no way to undo it.

Jose O.

great way to keep track of our constituents

Reviewed on 2015/09/03

I have been working with the Altru system for over three years now. I really like how extensive the CRM is. I am able to keep track with all of our constituent activity as well as our sales. Altru has also been a huge improvement for ticket sales as well! Before Altru, we used Ticketmaster. Due to Ticketmaster being heavily reliant on codes, errors were common. Altru made it a lot easier for our associates to sell admissions, make reservations and report revenue.

Altru is a fairly young CRM, but it has made leaps of improvements throughout the years. The online webforms are still in development and in need for some improvements. Because the Altru community is very responsive and the fact that the developers listen to the client's concerns, I am confident that Altru will become greater than it is now!