Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage Reviews

Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage

Always-hot cloud storage to store, manage, and protect data

Ronnie
Ronnie

Peace of mind offsite backups

Reviewed on 2019/02/02

It provides great peace of mind knowing I have my important personal and business files backed up without any effort or thought.

Pros

It just trudges along in the background, doing its job securely backing up the files to the cloud. I like that I can have exclusion folders (like Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud) since there's no point to back those up.

Cons

Not so much a con per se, but I haven't actually tested any of the backups because I haven't needed to.

I have been using Backblaze for several years as one of several backup methods for my work...

Reviewed on 2018/06/23

The benefit of knowing that my data is securely stored if my computer and my first line of backups fail. Lets face it, external hard drives can fail as easily as an internal hard drive. I certainly hope that I never have to recover my data in an emergency, but if I do, i feel better having made what I feel is a very reasonably priced purchase of this product.

Pros

Backblaze runs in the background and engages in backups whenever your computer is connected to the internet. It is seamless and runs in the settings part of my Mac. Backblaze allows you to encrypt your backups with the key being held only by you. While this is one of those types of software that you hope you never need to use, if you do need it you can download your data from the internet OR request that they send you a USB drive or a external hard drive with your data on it. thus Backblaze is a pretty cheap component to add to your backup system. Backblaze is not meant to be your only backup. While it theoretically could be, it's best used as part of a system. I personally use external hard drives with TimeMachine in addition to Backblaze. Backblaze is my last resort; however, it is also the most complete of the backups since it does its thing constantly in the background. Even on the best of days, I'm only going to back on an external drive once a day. I highly recommend this program for anyone who cares about the data stored on their computers.

Cons

I honestly cannot say that there is anything I dislike about Backblaze. It's an inexpensive, non-obtrusive piece of software that simply does what it's supposed to do. If you use an encryption key that Backblaze is not storing for you DO NOT lose it under any circumstance or you will NEVER get your data back without it. This is only a "con" if you lose the key.

Brad
Brad

I used this service for many years backing up data of about 2 TB

Reviewed on 2018/02/04

Pros

It was easy to setup and configure the software. It ran in the background unattended. It was able to dd or remove folders quickly.

Cons

The one time I needed the software to actually work for a backup it failed. It was not able to retain my existing backup when I had to reinstall Windows 10 on my desktop. I was told I needed to re-upload my entire data-set again.

Response from Backblaze

Hey Brad - It can be quite annoying when one has to repush... although it can happen when 3rd party software impedes our "inherit backup state" feature. Please let us know if this continues to be an issue an we're happy to help troubleshoot

• Industry: Computer Games

It's great to know that you have a backup option if any of you computers lose data!

Reviewed on 2019/12/11

I was looking for a backup solution that suits very large files, like 30GB + game project files. Backblaze had the most competitive features and pricing. The software has been very reliable, I've had it running on a computer for 2 years straight, only turning it off for updates.

Pros

Backblaze is easy to set up, quick to back up, and reliably continues working. The pricing is very competitive. It doesn't throttle your network connections.

Cons

The software looks a bit outdated, but does what is advertised. I do have concerns that if my computer is offline for 60 days plus, the files won't be retained. It's hard to find this information with clarity for any backup service.

Response from Backblaze

Hi!
Thanks for being a customer. A quick response on your concern - our service is designed to retain your backup even if your computer is offline for up to 6 months. Here's a KB article on it

In that KB, we also discuss an option to enable "extended version history" to extend that window as well as extend the window of retention for deleted / changed files.

If you have any other question, please don't hesitate to reach out to our help desk via chat or email

Anne
  • Industry: Publishing

Backblaze provides the security I want

Reviewed on 2021/07/12

I've been very happy with Backblaze for my personal use. Since getting, I haven't had any major issues. I hate to say it's one of those set-and-forget programs, but it is. However, I do get an alert if something happened with the backup.

Pros

With Backblaze, I can control what gets backed up and when. There many file types, I don't need backed up. I can also set it up so it doesn't kick in if I'm still using the PC.

Cons

I have my backups go off nightly. However, I wish there were a way to have it integrate with Windows File Explorer so I could right-click a file to do an immediate backup.

I did run into a glitch when I added another hard drive and I remapped my drive letters. It did get resolved.

Wyn

Backup your data automatically, just install and forget.

Reviewed on 2020/11/29

We have lost a couple of machines to ransomware so rather than giving in to the criminals we just turned to Backblaze.

Pros

This software takes away all of the worry with regard to insuring your data is safe. It runs in the background without having any impact on your machines resources.

Cons

Our other teams backup data to Google Drive, which is fine. This does cost a bit more but it does have advantages such as the ability to have your data retrieval via hard drive sent via courier. Much quicker if and when you need terrabytes of data.

Jesus
Jesus

Blazing Fast Business Backup

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

Incredibly fast backups and restorations. Integration with popular backup software.

Pros

The speed is incredible and pricing per GB for BackBlaze B2 is lower than Amazon Glacier and Microsoft Azure. Plus, they publish an annual report on hard drive failure rates that is extremely valuable.

Cons

A few years ago, my only gripe was the amount of industry integrations. Since then, however, they've added many, many new ones that resolve my concerns.

Jonathan
Jonathan
  • Industry: Law Practice

My review of Backblaze

Reviewed on 2022/02/03

Experience has been smooth and works as described. Company has surpassed expectations. Highly recommend.

Pros

Started with a free trial and was instantly converted into a paying customer when I realized how easy it is to use and how fairly priced it is.

Pros-
Cost - $130 for a 2 year plan
Unlimited storage - peace of mind storage will never run out
Easy to use software - Installed one piece of software and within 3-4 clicks, it started backing up and worked in the background while I continued to use my system
Backup internals - it continuously backs up every couple of minutes/hours once it spots changes
Speed of backup - large backups finish quickly
Lots of security options - 2FA authentication, private key encryption - for that extra level of security

Cons

It does not allow the backing up of applications and system files. In other words, you cannot make a bootable image of your system. If this was available, Backblaze would be perfect.

Samantha
Samantha
  • Industry: Photography

I love backblaze for all my storage needs!

Reviewed on 2022/11/07

It's fast and reliable and provides me a huge piece of mind. I love how it automatically backs up what I specify and is so affordable.

Pros

Unlimited storage at an amazing price! Backblaze automatically backs up drives, folders, and files you set.

Cons

It does not back up exe files which are mainly software installation files but that is also where malware likes to hide.

Dany
Dany

Serious peace of mind!

Reviewed on 2018/04/22

Pros

How can you go wrong with the idea of your machine being constantly backed up. I don't even realize it's happening, but seeing the reports of your backup is heartwarming. Knowing every computer regardless of platform is backed up is fantastic.

Cons

I can't think of anything negative to say about Backblaze. The price? Could it be cheaper? I'm sure it could, but it's very affordable.

Barbara
  • Industry: Photography

Backblaze has saved me three times in the past!

Reviewed on 2022/03/04

My experience with Backblaze has been great! They allow you to immediately begin downloading files you need from anywhere! If the number of files that you need to download is so large that time is a factor, they will send you your files via an external hard-drive. Computers crash... I can't ever imagine being without this service. There is nothing more important than the peace of mind it brings!

Pros

The security I feel in knowing that my files and photos are continuosly being backed up to the cloud is priceless! It only takes a hard-drive glitch once to truly appreciate this service. I've used their recovery system three times in the past and it's made the service something I will never be without! If there are only a few files you need, you can download them. If you need your entire hard drive to be recovered, they will send your files to you on a hard drive and not even charge you for the actual hard drive if you return it to them! This is an awesome service. They also send reports to assure you that files are backed up!

Cons

This product works silently in the background 24/7! Once you set the parameters you want, you can just feel the security that no matter what happens, your files are safe.

Mauricio
  • Industry: Online Media

Powerful cloud storage Backblaze B2

Reviewed on 2022/03/05

Using Backblaze B2 for desktop, VM, database and NAS backups. Clients include Synology NAS and MSP360 (SQL Server, Hyper-V and desktop).

Pros

It's very inexpensive compared to other cloud-based storage platforms.
AWS-compatible API.
Easy to manage storage buckets.

Cons

Limited geographical locations means it can be slow depending on where your servers are, when compared to local Azure instances for example.

Pasquale

Peace of mind for your bucks

Reviewed on 2021/12/09

Pros

Backblaze is a very minimal tool. It doesn't sport any bells and whistles, it never stays in your way. It just stay silent for much of the time and just... works.
Your entire disk is safely and securely backed up on their servers and you can access your files and restore your backups in case of dramatic events.

Cons

Honestly the web interface is a little bit strange and oddly organized, but it's a very minor complaint because you rarely use it (if at all).

Synology Drive
Suzanne
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Covers the Basics

Reviewed on 2019/09/01

Pros

It's easy to set up, then requires nothing to maintain. Everything functions pretty automatically. The initial upload speed was fair. It allows lots of space for backup.

Cons

It isn't very user friendly to know what files have been backed up versus which files are queued for backup. Nor is it easy to figure out how to access those files from the cloud if you ever needed to. There is no file versioning, so if you need an older version of a file, you are out of luck. The backup is also limited to whatever you have on your harddrive - it doesn't backup external harddrives, and any file that has not been on your harddrive for more than 30 days gets deleted from the backup as well.

Kyle

Great cloud based backup for personal computers and business laptops!

Reviewed on 2018/03/28

Pros

Backblaze has a simple monthly or yearly cost with NO DATA restrictions. Don't worry about what data to backup, backup all of your data. Backblaze has an easy to use interface and you can even schedule when the backups occur or do a continuous backup.

Cons

I wish Backblaze had an easier to use Business package. You have to buy a third party app to get to their storage.

Response from Backblaze

Hi Kyle -
Thanks for being a customer! Happy to chat with you re: access to your storage. While we have many integration partners, customers are not required to buy an app to get to your storage. Feel free to reach out if I can help troubleshoot.
Cheers,
Ahin
(VP of Marketing @ Backblaze

Scott

Great product offerings for backup and file hosting

Reviewed on 2021/08/12

Pros

The desktop software is the most reliable I've run used, and sits quietly in the background rather than chewing away at resources while doing nothing. The app's interface is quite simple, and makes it easy to set external hard drives for backup or files to ignore. Regarding Backblaze B2, I host files for a website there and the price compared to AWS is very reasonable - an eighth of the price for bandwidth.

Cons

The Web UI for restoring files is a bit clunky, but thankfully I don't have to interface with it too often :)

If you need an emergency backup, Backblaze is perfect

Reviewed on 2021/10/18

I believe that everyone who works heavily on files should protect their data from unexpected accidents. Backblaze is a no-brainer for creative specialists and for entrepreneurs.

Pros

It's the easiest way for regular customers to protect their data from loss. It's not the same thing as cloud storage, and it's not meant to be the same. But if you want to be always protected, Backblaze is a great and not-so-expensive solution. I used it for about 2 years when I used my private PC for work. Now I don't need it as much, but still consider getting back.

Cons

It would be great if that had some kind of cloud storage or at least integration with third-party cloud services.

• Industry: Computer & Network Security

Expensive and slow

Reviewed on 2022/05/20

Pros

Nothing

Cons

i can't recommend this provider, slow and expensive, and they change the prices constantly and change the packages of services

Response from Backblaze

We are sorry for your experience and would like to address your concerns. Backblaze has only raised the price of B2 Cloud Storage once, on Oct 3, 2023. We've purposely tried to make our pricing simple: no complicated tiers, rate variances by region, or minimum file size and minimum storage duration requirements. Our customers enjoy flexible, scalable storage at $6/TB/month, plus all customers enjoy free monthly egress up to 3x the data stored. As for performance, we have achieved upload speeds 10-30% faster than AWS S3 for small file uploads (1MB or less, which makes up 70% of all uploads to B2 Cloud Storage and are common for backup and archive workflows) all without any change to durability, availability, or pricing. Please let us know if this continues to be an issue and we're happy to help troubleshoot.

Alanna
  • Industry: Photography

I tell everyone to use this product!

Reviewed on 2020/01/24

I’ve had a great experience with them!

I’ve had a great experience with them!

Pros

BackBlaze keeps all of my computer files and external drives backed up. I feel so much safer knowing that all my thousands of photo and design projects will be immediately accessible to download to a new computer if my current one happens to crash.
Plus, you can’t beat the price!!!

Cons

There is nothing I don’t like about this software. I recommend it to everyone, whether they own a business or not.

Arturo

Good automatic backup tool

Reviewed on 2020/07/25

Pros

I like they way Backblaze works. You just have to install the software and that´s it!
You do not have to worry to backup your data manually and upload it to the cloud.
If you get your computer broken or lost you can order your data on a hard disk by mail.

Cons

Data transfer (upload and download) its kind of slow in the basic packages.
Since I install Backblaze I find my computer kind of slower

Peace of mind at a fair cost

Reviewed on 2019/05/08

Absolutely one of the most fundamental pieces to protecting your data.

Absolutely one of the most fundamental pieces to protecting your data.

Pros

Set it and forget it. Install the software and instantly have peace of mind. You're definitely limited to whatever upload speed you have in the office but that's just life. I also use the normal Backblaze at home for personal use. The cost is very, very fair for what you get.

Cons

Can slow down your internet a little bit when it's uploading a large backup but that's pretty standard for apps like this. There may be a throttling option that I have to figure out.

Freed up my time

Reviewed on 2018/12/29

Pros

This software does a great job of keeping a daily backup of my computer without even thinking about it. Always have a backup just in case you lose something or anything happens.

Cons

Sometimes I forget to leave my laptop open for it to update overnight but that's more a laptop issue than software problem. Also, if you backup any drives, don't forget to connect them before going to bed...

• Industry: Media Production

Set and Forget Backup

Reviewed on 2019/05/07

Pros

I like that once it is setup it works in the background and backs up everything. It gives me piece of mind, and it works well.

I feel more confident for mine and other people's data if something should go wrong. I found it really easy to set up, and it has a bunch of options that make sense and allows me to exclude files if I need to.

Cons

More versioning of files would be good, just to give a bit more redundancy as some files can change a lot in a short period of time.

• Industry: Hospitality

Set It and Forget It

Reviewed on 2019/08/22

I feel a lot more secure about recovering my data in case of hard drive failure or damage to my computer.

Pros

Once you set it up, it basically backs up all of your data on your hard drive daily. You basically set it and forget it.

Cons

Some aspects are a little difficult figuring out -- but the customer service by email is very responsive. So no problem with solutions.

Lynn
  • Industry: Design

Backblaze Business Backup

Reviewed on 2019/06/17

So reliable! I love that I don't have to worry. I don't have to use another back up system when I am traveling. I have never had a problem.

Pros

SO RELIABLE!!! I never worry, my business files are easy are safe, regardless of the size.

Cons

Sometimes I have to wait for access to the larger files. I can't restore the files immediately.