Showing 118 reviews of 102

Backblaze Business Backup

Cloud-based server backup management software

Showing 118 reviews of 102
Wyn D.

Backup your data automatically, just install and forget.

Reviewed on 2020/11/29

We have lost a couple of machines to ransomware so rather than giving in to the criminals we just turned to Backblaze.

Pros

This software takes away all of the worry with regard to insuring your data is safe. It runs in the background without having any impact on your machines resources.

Cons

Our other teams backup data to Google Drive, which is fine. This does cost a bit more but it does have advantages such as the ability to have your data retrieval via hard drive sent via courier. Much quicker if and when you need terrabytes of data.

• Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Set it and forget it backup

Reviewed on 2020/07/03

I've used it for years, and have no complaints.

Pros

I like the fact that it's always working in the background; and even though i already have cloud backups and disk backups, this is my third backup which makes a truly redundant (and assurance) solution.

Cons

Sometimes I want to quickly turn it off, i.e. I don't want backups going while I'm rendering or streaming, but it takes so many clicks to get to the on/of scheduling control panel deep inside System settings, that is annoying.

Bryan M.
  • Industry: Design

The simplest cloud backup solution

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Pros

Backblaze is very easy to get running on a new computer and has configurable bandwidth limits. It doesn't backup the OS or applications which is great since it is unnecessary. It makes sense to have physical on and off site backups as well for critical data, but backblaze is so affordable that it is a great addition and adds peace of mind without having to always worry about if physical backups are 100% up to date.

Cons

I understand that they need to put limits on some things so people don't game the system, but I wish it was possible to keep a single external HD backed up without having to keep it plugged in all the time. If the external HD is unplugged for a certain amount of days, the data from it will be cleared. For teams that travel often, they may not always be able to have that external drive plugged in.

Nate C.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

The biggest success of this software is that I never have to think about it

Reviewed on 2018/07/12

Pros

First off, the biggest endorsement I can give for this software/service, at least for me, is that it is picked by The Wirecutter as the best online cloud backup service.

The first important thing to realize is that EVERY hard drive will eventually fail. Not if, but when. So you need a backup plan. And any backup plan that requires you to remember to do something is doomed. That's where BackBlaze comes in. The setup is dead simple (easier than other services I've used, like Crashplan), and then you simply let it do it's thing and run in the background. That's it! All you need to do is relax knowing that all of your data (and I mean all--the service allows unlimited data storage) is now safely backed up offsite.

Cons

I have yet to run into any issues with this sofware and service. I fortunately have not had the need to try out their data recovery features, however, so I can't opine on the quality there yet.

Greg C.

Backblaze - super affordable, stable backups

Reviewed on 2018/11/13

From day 1 we have been able to simply configure and always restore our data. That along with the price makes this the perfect solution to backup millions of files across 10TB of data.

Pros

The price and the simplicity of configuring it to backup our Synology rackstation. It's secure and we have always been able to restore files when needed. We have never experienced an issue with Backblaze. Would highly recommend to everyone.

Cons

The web interface could use an overhaul. It is simple enough but I feel like with a little time and effort they could turn it into something better. Note, this is a very minor con.

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Backblaze set it and forget it until you need it

Reviewed on 2018/09/07

Pros

It is so easy to just add the different drives or files you want to be backed up regularly. It does it all in the background and you do not even notice it.

When and if you need a backup you have various options for larger amounts of data you can request a drive be sent to you with the data or you can bring down the files in chunks or zipped files.

Cons

I do not have anything bad to say about this other than the one time i switched computers and had to merge my account back was messy but understandable.

Ronnie N.

Peace of mind offsite backups

Reviewed on 2019/02/02

It provides great peace of mind knowing I have my important personal and business files backed up without any effort or thought.

Pros

It just trudges along in the background, doing its job securely backing up the files to the cloud. I like that I can have exclusion folders (like Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud) since there's no point to back those up.

Cons

Not so much a con per se, but I haven't actually tested any of the backups because I haven't needed to.

Stuart B.

I love the set it and forget it approach

Reviewed on 2016/12/14

I love the set it and forget it the style that Backblaze uses for remotely securing all my files. While other backup software makes you pick and choose what's worth saving, Backblaze just goes for it and backs up everything (you can opt out if something's too sensitive or scandalous, I think) so that you don't have to spend forever setting options. Then it just regularly backs up my files without me having to think about it, so that if I ever lose my laptop or it is lost in a fire or something else horrible, my business files, records, family photos, etc, those are all safe. Peace of mind for a cheap price.

Pros

Ease of use, background operation, peace of mind, price.

Cons

Sometimes when it starts running, it slows my system (albeit briefly)

Freed up my time

Reviewed on 2018/12/29

Pros

This software does a great job of keeping a daily backup of my computer without even thinking about it. Always have a backup just in case you lose something or anything happens.

Cons

Sometimes I forget to leave my laptop open for it to update overnight but that's more a laptop issue than software problem. Also, if you backup any drives, don't forget to connect them before going to bed...

Peace of mind at a fair cost

Reviewed on 2019/05/08

Absolutely one of the most fundamental pieces to protecting your data.

Pros

Set it and forget it. Install the software and instantly have peace of mind. You're definitely limited to whatever upload speed you have in the office but that's just life. I also use the normal Backblaze at home for personal use. The cost is very, very fair for what you get.

Cons

Can slow down your internet a little bit when it's uploading a large backup but that's pretty standard for apps like this. There may be a throttling option that I have to figure out.

• Industry: Media Production

The best no-fuss backup solution around.

Reviewed on 2019/04/02

Pros

Backblaze has one of the easiest on-boarding process of any backup software I've used. It's seriously software that most end users would be able to easily configure on their own computer. Such an intuitive interface that still has powerful features for those looking to tweak things.

Cons

I really don't have anything negative to say about Backblaze. Their service and emergency recovery support are second to none, and the no-fuss pricing per computer with no storage caps makes price forecasting a breeze.

Juniper Z.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Piece of mind for a low fee

Reviewed on 2019/03/23

Pros

I love that it runs in the background without me needing to remember to do a back up. The low monthly fee is definitely worth the piece of mind it gives me. It's already saved my butt once before when a previous computer had a melt down.

Cons

I honestly have no complaints. It is fantastic.

Chris D.

Robust, capable backup solution that is easy to install and configure.

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Complete backup without having to think about it

Pros

Unlimited storage
Alerts when a backup has not been made within a period of time
Easy access to files
Hard drive based restore if necessary

Cons

Long initial backup times, but that is really network connection speeds, not Backblaze
Version history not supported

Carl H.

Super simple cloud backup.

Reviewed on 2017/07/21

Pros

I have my photo business backed up to Backblaze and have around 8 TB of data stored with them. It's automatic and simple!

Cons

Takes a long time to upload files, not really their fault though. That's more limited by the bandwidth you pay for.

Sean B.

Affordable peace of mind

Reviewed on 2019/12/09

It has been an overall great experience, having peace of mind in my day to day that everything is backed up online. It has also proven useful a couple of times where I wanted to refer back to files that I had previously deleted.

Pros

This software addresses a really fundamental problem in a very simple and seamless way, it does its job in the background and I have never really experienced any performance hits on my system. I also believe that it is reasonably priced

Cons

It would be really cool to have a more extensive companion app that could restore specific files without having to visit their explorer online, something similar to the time machine experience on mac

Great cloud system for any company.

Reviewed on 2020/06/19

Backblaze is the perfect service for those who don't want to worry about what they need to back up as long as it is in the cloud and for a fair price.

Pros

We have used this program for the past 2 years and when we needed it after one of our computers completely died, we were able to recover everything that was in it/in the cloud. The installation process is very easy and the price is right.

Cons

It’s a bit tedious to recover a lot of information if you have too much but still works as promised.

Carlos D.

Great for small or big projects

Reviewed on 2018/08/01

Pros

We've been using Backblaze and the experience has been amazing so far. It scales as we need and only charges if it reaches a specific limit and it's really cheap for what we get.

Cons

We really don't have anything to complain about so far, since it's working and the performance is great.

• Industry: Arts & Crafts

Exactly what I needed!

Reviewed on 2018/10/15

Amazing experience. My laptop is getting old, I'd been getting a lot of blue screen errors. I didn't want to trust my data to a corporation, or fiddle with finding an external hard-drive. So far, Backblaze have made the process unbelievably easy and simple.

I subscribed for their services a few months ago, everything's been running seamlessly.

Pros

It's easy to use, automatically backs up and gives you the most important data about it. I even like that they email you if your computer hasn't connected to their cloud in a while. The app is designed in a clear, modern way that I can navigate quickly. Pretty cheap, for what they offer, too.

Cons

Nothing. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Khai F.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Cost-effective, worry-free backup with extra features

Reviewed on 2018/04/04

Pros

Once set up, so easy: set-it and forget-it. Very cost-effective and unlimited. You receive reports on your backups as you request and recovery is simple. Small or large solutions to suit all sizes of business.

Cons

Honestly, not much negative to say about Backblaze. It's worked perfectly for us for years without so much as an extra thought.

Michael H.
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Good for enterprise usage, not as a file storage service

Reviewed on 2019/04/27

We use Backblaze B2 for internal workstation backups, but it didn't serve our needs for any public-facing client files, unfortunately.

Pros

Backblaze has pretty massive cloud storage size offerings, which really best suited for enterprise usage with large amount of data protection, privacy and security needs.

One of the coolest, and unique features is the ability to have a flash drive, or hard disk mailed to you in the event you need a physical device to restore from, and don't have access to the online backup.

Cons

BackBlaze is similar to other cloud storage providers such as Drive, OneDrive, and Box, but it falls a bit short in terms of file organization (the interface doesn't really allow for intuitive file management such as moving mass files/folders, copying, sorting, and permissions) in the same way that something like Drive or Box does.

Additionally, if you're looking to use B2 to share files with clients (publically), you'll notice a lack of features in this regard as well.

Chris M.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Backblaze backup

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

Overall it has made archiving and saving old documents much easier. And it is cheaper than purchasing external hard drives.

Pros

We had been using a separate hard drive to back up some very old product manuals and information, but it was cumbersome to keep track of who had the hard drive, or where it was. With Backblaze everyone can backup files to one place, which makes it easier for every one in the department find any information much easier.

Cons

The initial backup was very long. If you don't back up every day it can take quite a while for the data to convert and backup.

Anne S.

Lacks features but works... very slowly.

Reviewed on 2018/01/02

Pros

Inexpensive software with unlimited back up limit which is hard to find. Easy install and no maintenance.

Cons

Back ups are set to a schedule. Also would be nice to throttle it while utilizing they machine. Ended up not using the software because after 5 months, my initial back up still never finished.

Response from Backblaze

Hi Anne-
Thanks for giving us a shot. And sorry it didn't work out. If you're willing to try it again, we think you'll like it. In our 5.0 release, we added "automatic threading". We believe it makes us the fastest backup client on the market. You can read more about it here

Also, you can schedule your backups to occur whenever you'd like using the client settings

Thx!

Ella sophie B.
  • Industry: Photography

Easy hassle free unlimited backup system

Reviewed on 2019/08/19

Overall I'm very happy to have Backblaze keeping my files safe.

Pros

What I like most about this software is that the backup is unlimited, as a photographer I have a lot of files that are fairly large that I need to backup. Being able to access my files easily is super helpful and has already come in handy during a hardware malfunction a few months ago.

Cons

The only downside is that you pay per computer so if I have a portable drive I have to plug it into the same computer anytime I want to back it up so I can't just log in to my Backblaze account from a shared computer to backup my portable drive.

• Industry: Writing & Editing

Backblaze

Reviewed on 2020/05/09

Backblaze runs in the background of your computer and backs up additional files you add to their extensive and secure cloud system. You can choose to do a manual backup, but it automatically backs up each day that you have the computer on and operational. It's easy to use and takes away any worry of losing files.

Pros

I love Backblaze. After the initial setup, it's set-it-and-forget-it software. I also love that you can log into your account on any computer and access the files that have been backed up. It's saved me a couple of times.

Cons

They've since added a new paid tier that deals with this, but the original tier makes it so that anything that's been deleted from your computer no longer remains backed up after 30 days, so with the original tier, it's not helpful for making space on your hard drive.

I have been using Backblaze for several years as one of several backup methods for my work...

Reviewed on 2018/06/23

The benefit of knowing that my data is securely stored if my computer and my first line of backups fail. Lets face it, external hard drives can fail as easily as an internal hard drive. I certainly hope that I never have to recover my data in an emergency, but if I do, i feel better having made what I feel is a very reasonably priced purchase of this product.

Pros

Backblaze runs in the background and engages in backups whenever your computer is connected to the internet. It is seamless and runs in the settings part of my Mac. Backblaze allows you to encrypt your backups with the key being held only by you. While this is one of those types of software that you hope you never need to use, if you do need it you can download your data from the internet OR request that they send you a USB drive or a external hard drive with your data on it. thus Backblaze is a pretty cheap component to add to your backup system. Backblaze is not meant to be your only backup. While it theoretically could be, it's best used as part of a system. I personally use external hard drives with TimeMachine in addition to Backblaze. Backblaze is my last resort; however, it is also the most complete of the backups since it does its thing constantly in the background. Even on the best of days, I'm only going to back on an external drive once a day. I highly recommend this program for anyone who cares about the data stored on their computers.

Cons

I honestly cannot say that there is anything I dislike about Backblaze. It's an inexpensive, non-obtrusive piece of software that simply does what it's supposed to do. If you use an encryption key that Backblaze is not storing for you DO NOT lose it under any circumstance or you will NEVER get your data back without it. This is only a "con" if you lose the key.