Winautomation

Process automation software for desktop & web applications

Hugh H.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Was a great product but they got greedy and make you pay for everything that you automate

Reviewed on 2018/04/24

Prior to the whole "you MUST buy tokens to be able to use the software that you already spent a lot of money on", they had a really good product that did things not found in other types of automation programs. You can compile your scripts/processes to run on other machines ... except now you have to pay for every little thing that you automate OR spend a lot of money to "register" a computer that you want to run unlimited exe's on. Of course, this is after you have already paid a premium price for the software. They don't advertise the costs up front because they want you to buy the software ... once you log into your account you finally get to see the costs for various tokens and functionality. We didn't appreciate the sneaky approach they decided would be a good business model. As horrible as the whole upgrade experience is/was, it is our hope that they drop this business model and get back to what made them great to begin with. They have great software but they have lost our business until they stop crippling it. We are in the process of moving on to a different product.

Pros

It does things that other software packages do not do (like search for an image on a screen that isn't identifiable via other means).

Cons

Steep learning curve. Recent versions now make you pay for everything that you create - making the software absolutely useless in an enterprise environment where you have to pay for the executable that you generate ... except if you discover an error and need to recompile and recreate your executable to fix something (which happens most of the time), you have to PAY AGAIN. I spent years learning and using Winautomation and it was awesome to be able to create solutions on the fly where there weren't any viable alternatives, but their greed has destroyed the flexible nature of what this software did best. The support people know their stuff, but moving the support forum to Linked-In groups has been a miserable switch....searching is problematic ... anything negative at all (even if it is constructive feedback) is deleted by the moderators.... it is like they are doing everything humanly possible to make the software and the company fail. I find this sad because I really like the software and the latest functionality that the newer versions bring. We were tricked into upgrading to Version 7 during a sales WebEx (no mention of the additional costs at all except a brief 1 sec mention of tokens that was not explained). Even though we have paid for the professional version upgrade, we went back to our old version (version 6) as soon as we realized how crippled the latest versions are unless you are willing to hand over large amounts of cash for a small fraction of the functionality the older versions had..

Gerald D.
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Great program for every day users!

Reviewed on 2017/01/24

This program is absolutely amazing. Recording repetative actions, browser based activities or just plain keypresses works fast, effectively and most importantly really efficient.
Easy to setup program with tons of features that enables you to do just about anything!
From custom dialogs to writing values to excel or even pulling data from your database. It's all possible!

Pros

Fast, easy to program and most importantly not too expensive

Cons

The program could do with a newer interface. There are a few bugs which still occur every now and then.

Anthony D.

Great time saver!

Reviewed on 2016/12/07

We have a lot of manual tasks of handling data in my role and the Winautomation software has helped tremendously in cutting down the time it takes to do all the manual tasks. Not only does it do the tasks, since it's a computer, it does them faster and I can be doing something else! We've been able to send reports quicker and spend more time on value add tasks rather than tedious manual work. There are very few pieces that I wish it was a little more flexible with handling variation but overall saves us multiple hours of work per week. Great product!

Pros

Ease of use, straight forward programming, cost effective.

Cons

Flexibility with handling errors and mapping different paths for jobs.

Alex S.
  • Industry: Media Production

Didn't know how to code but needed to automate

Reviewed on 2017/01/24

When we purchased this, we were needing to automate many processes on the backend of our system. From file syncing and transfer to convert Log files from one format to another, we're using winautomation to automate 100+ processes a day. We've basically not had to higher another person just because of winautomation.

Pros

All of the features it has available.

Cons

The documentation is pitiful, which makes it VERY hard to figure out how to do some things. However, with some research time available, you can figure it out.

Jeff S.

Great software, very easy to use.

Reviewed on 2016/12/07

We purchased this software to run a few automated processes for our company. We are an Association Management Company and having the ability to easily automate some of the items that we deal with frees up time to concentrate on other areas.

Pros

Ease of use, and the macro builder that allows me to simply record the process that I want automated and it will repeat the same process on a regular schedule.

David C.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Brilliant product, saves me so much time

Reviewed on 2016/12/07

I have used Winautoamtion for a few years now, and the new version has made some huge steps forward. Things that used to annoy me in older version have disappeared and the new functions are superb

Pros

It makes my life a lot easier and means I spend less time in front of a screen

Cons

There can be issues with some sites selecting controls

Warsi A.
  • Industry: Banking

About the tool

Reviewed on 2018/11/15

We can utilise this tool but still for basic things we need to relay on any other components examples JavaScript dot net etc

Pros

Tools which has been catogrized and the auto defined variable etc

Cons

No much functionality compared to other tools

Rob R.

Winautomation for health care management

Reviewed on 2016/12/07

health care requires lots of reports and paperwork, winautomate will help reduce the time spent on reports and reduce overall paperwork in the office - it's a must for health care

Pros

comes with lots of programming script examples, and support by email very good

Cons

very short learning curve

Joseph C.

winautomation rocked my pc!

Reviewed on 2014/06/13

After experimenting away with AHK and AutoIT,
and since i'm not in the habit of picking up new scripting languages every other day,
i searched for a more user-friendly alternative.

I found Winautomation and downloaded the trial version, which is a very fully functional 30-day limit demo and installs quite seamlessly.

At first glimpse, i was a bit swamped with the range of utilities that automate all tasks you can think of and then some, displayed in the initial window.

The learning curve, however, is not too steep and the suite of applications also contains a very smart macro recorder and its web automation counterpart for web scraping which are both very straight-forward in their use.

I started automating right away some very dull tasks like typing my website in forms again and again or the maintenance backup and archiving i do every night on my external HDD and the more i get the hang of things , i'm pretty certain the more complex tasks i will think of outsourcing to my PC :)

Finally, a special mention and shout out needs to go to the customer support team, who answered within minutes both my forum question at http://www.winautomation.com/community and my chat request, and all of that without me even having bought a license, so kudos to the guys (and gals of course)

Nick S.

License changes mean I will avoid

Reviewed on 2018/03/06

Used for around 6 years. Was big fan. Changes to licensing model in version 7 mean I cannot continue to use. Increases our cost for continuing to use the software by over 1000%. Sad. face. :(

Pros

Simple and easy to build automations, (some) powerful functionality built in. Flexible for many tasks once you've learnt your way around.

Cons

Paying for tokens to run compiled EXE files has rendered the software unaffordable. Like many software providers, the quality of support and documentation seems to be in decline.

Anthony D.

Works find at first, but expect to pay yearly

Reviewed on 2017/10/03

A short ability to automate tasks.

Pros

Ability to write a job to do manual tasks. These tasks seem to only be able to be done when manually launched and has extreme limitations on what you can automate especially when it comes to the web.

Cons

All features don't work as advertised. Their model of "one time cost" becomes invalid as if you don't upgrade and pay more they won't help you even when their software stops working. Our scheduled jobs don't run automatically anymore and they don't even know why. They made us "update" to the latest version of the software which I wouldn't be surprised is what helps them make it obsolete and not work. I previously reviewed this product when it was working which is sad that it doesn't work anymore and their support won't help.

Alton N.

Best Automation Software for the Money

Reviewed on 2016/12/20

I have been using this WinAutomation for the past 2 years and I am always amazed by the quality and capabilities. As a non-IT personnel, I primarily use it to gather data from different sources to create reports for my organization so I use the web automation feature very often. This feature saved me so much time since with my old macro software, I would have to position my clicks manually in relation to the screen. If the screen size changes, I have to redo the positioning. Now, web automation automatically controls IE directly and clicks on the links I want regardless where it is located on the screen. There are many well thoughtout features as well like folder manipulation, loops, if/then, Excel file support, etc. From simple time-saving bots to complex, multi-staged bots, WinAutomation can do it all. I'm 100% satisfied with my purchased and looking forward to new releases of WinAutomation.

Eric T.

WinAutomation - powerful software

Reviewed on 2016/12/07

I use WinAutomation to manage a complex process to update data on an online system. We use the software to pull data off of one system, bring it into an Access database, run some calculations, and then push the data back to an online system for reporting. We can do all of this with WinAutomation, and the job runs several times per day completely unattended. The program is very powerful, takes a bit of time to learn how to set it up, but then it just works. Very flexible, powerful program. We found no other alternative to address our needs, so this is a vital piece of software for our company.

James M.

Excellent development

Reviewed on 2016/04/27

Winautomation had taken over a complex investment management program that another automation firm was unable to complete after more than 2 1/2 years. The programming expertise of Nick Psalidakis and his colleagues has allowed us to get the program back on track in roughly 4 months. I would recommend the winautomation program, but especially the high level talent of the development team to complete more complex projects. I am very pleased with the product and service as this time, and am looking to further enhance this platform.

Jon G.

Easy to build things, not a lot of advanced functions.

Reviewed on 2017/02/01

I was using this to do a project that needed some advanced automation techniques. I was unable to complete the project using WinAutomation and didn't use it for the end product. It is easy to use but for more advanced applications I would suggest trying something else.

Pros

Easy to use, very simple interface.

Cons

It is not nearly as powerful as more advanced products due to its simplicity.

Rajkumar R.

Best desktop automation software

Reviewed on 2016/12/21

Easy to install, easy to script and punish. Easy to automate anything that involves excel, power shell, web.

Pros

Easy to use, code less scripting

Cons

.Net dependency

Clifford I.

Recent API is Significant Improvement

Reviewed on 2017/02/03

Recently used the most recent version. It is a significant improvement. Previously, I had generated macros by going through the process. I have now switched to writing code, in part because specifying actions seems a lot easier

Alan T.

Lab Engineer

Reviewed on 2016/12/07

Very nice application graphical interface and useful and easy to use. The interface doesn't take too long to get used to.

Joel P.

Good product destroyed by poor management and support

Reviewed on 2019/08/16

Was good until v7 was released, now refuse to do business with them

Pros

Easy to use, very functional, was easy to distribute but read Cons below

Cons

Like others I am so disappointed by the direction WinAutomation has taken. Was a reliable product that would easily allow you to build and compile programs to perform your automation functions - we used it in various different areas.

The when v7 was released they completely forgot about their customers and came up with the horrible idea of tokens (additional purchases) for each executable you wanted to compile, and worse they tried their damnedest to hide this from their users - so many of us upgraded to version 7 only to find out that we had been hoodwinked by this new licensing policy.

And then they destroyed their user community further by killing their once-active forums where users would share ideas and methodologies - first they shifted it to LinkedIn, which never worked well, and then they realised their error and brought it back to their own domain, but they removed all the historic forum posts when they realised no one was upgrading but were still communicating solutions on the older version of the product - there just was not enough new functionality in v7 and onwards for people to justify their silly licensing decision.

AVOID using this product! The company is untrustworthy and has made very poor business decisions to the detriment of a large user community. And just when they were starting to get good, too - such a shame. Other products on the market are just as powerful and less expensive.

Response from Softomotive

Dear Joel,
We are sorry to hear about your experience. One of our representatives will contact you shortly to find out more about your specific situation and see what we can do to make things right.

You are correct that the original support portal was withdrawn because it was based on old technology. It was never our intention to cut our users off and a great deal of care was taken to check all the (old) forum topics one by one so that all useful information could be transferred to the new one. Only information related to very old WinAutomation versions were not transferred because they were less relevant.

The replacement support portal (support.softomotive.com) gives users a much better experience by offering a much broader range of features. There are hundreds of useful knowledge base articles, a forums section intended for users to share with the community their feature requests, ask for tips on how to automate their processes, share,
download or run automations.

• Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Automate your desktop and web-based tasks

Reviewed on 2019/04/03

I personally use this tool to automate my daily tasks. This tool has reduced a lot of my work and its amazing.

Pros

Forward your scripts to your colleagues
Easy and speed of Automation design
Image recognition on the screen, this helps a lot.

Cons

Does not have an expression builder and the colors are fixed.

Fred H.
  • Industry: Hospitality
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Save your associates from repetitious tasks.

Reviewed on 2017/02/10

I've found Winautomation to be very useful. It is easy to simply record tasks. But also powerful enough to program complex decision making.

Pros

Easy to use and powerful. Best of both worlds.

Cons

Rarely, but on more than one occasion, all tasks disappear so can't run. Not a big problem, a simple reboot brings them back.

Sidi B.

The customer experience has declined significantly both from a product design to customer...

Reviewed on 2017/08/14

Automated a couple tasks but I'm struggling with several tasks on my list I cant seem to make progress on.

Pros

Wide and diverse platform with growing multi-functional capabilities and dynamic product development.

Cons

Unfortunately, needs to re-think and re-calibrate its business-governance, product development, marketing strategy, Customer Support, and business objectives due to recent decisions to begin charging fees on customers that want to produce their hard work in the .EXE format to run independently on a separate computer for their company or a customer. I don't believe this was the right revenue growth decision, and I believe they are feeling/will feel the pain from business customers migrating to more reliable platforms - I'm already shopping and others I know are as well. What were they thinking by charging a fee on something that the customer already paid for? ***What's next, fee for every job occurrence LOL?***. The Executive that made such bad management decision should go back to the Banking Industry. As a customer, to get more value from the product, I wouldn't mind paying a higher license upgrade fee or a upgraded Support fee, or they could make sizeable revenue from custom projects etc... there are tons of other revenue sources to tap, but charging a fee for .EXE will cause them major customer attrition - users won't upgrade to future versions because they have a new software in place. At the end of the day, users will simply pay for Python certification course and forget the growing WA bill.

Franco B.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Quick...Easy...Does what it says it will do.

Reviewed on 2017/01/25

Scripting automation routines is super simple with this tool. The price is right and it's well worth the investment. It does not make sense to skip on purchasing this software. Need a routine automated. This is the software for you. Not a developer? No worries. It doesn't get any easier. Install and enjoy all its power from a few minutes of trial and error.

Pros

Does what it says and at the right price.

Cons

None

David W.

I have used WinAutomation to build simple automation to very complex automation functions

Reviewed on 2018/01/22

I was able to monitor my email system and automatically grab information when particular subjects appeared. I would use this information to fill out a web application automatically. This saved me many hours of manually keying this myself.

Pros

Easy to use.. the software enables you to automate web applications and fill in forms automatically. I used to grab information from incoming email by looking for a particular subject. I would then take this information and use it to fill out forms on a web app. Awesome.

Cons

I wanted to upgrade to version 7 professional. However in this new version they charge you money (tokens) for every compiled version of a script that you install on another machine. Each computer that uses your script will cost you per script. Or if you are running multiple scripts on a single machine they have another scenario where you can pay and run unlimited number of compliled scripts on that one computer. Sorry... this is total B.S.!! I refuse to upgrade and I refuse to ever deal with this company again. I am moving my development to another platform.

Gianluca C.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Easy to development

Reviewed on 2017/02/02

The tool is very user friendly to customize and configure an automation for simplify process to operation people, for example back office or reporting export.
It's easy for developer department and It's zero fault system.
The power of the tool is high and the effect in the business is saving and reducing the less quality job.