Showing 1 516 reviews of 1 449

SQL Server

Relational database management system for data analytics

Showing 1 516 reviews of 1 449
Anthony B.
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

SQL Server | Inexpensive and Impressive

Reviewed on 2021/01/05

Our organization uses SQL Server Enterprise as the backend for our Laboratory Information Management System. While we had the option to use Oracle, we went the Microsoft route due to licensing costs and in-house expertise. We have had nothing but positive experiences with SQL Server. From day-to-day operations to high-availability to SQL Agent jobs, we use a large portion of the functionality included with SQL Server.

In addition to our laboratory system, we link SQL Server to our financial system (running on an Oracle database), which allowed us to create a data mart that we use to mine and report financial data through SQL Server Reporting Services.

Pros

* SQL Server Management Studio is intuitive and fairly straightforward to use

* Implementing more advanced features such as SSRS does not require much effort

* Simple process to link other database servers (i.e. Oracle)

* Robust high-availability solutions available

Cons

* Licensing structure for Enterprise version is per core(s)

* Always On Availability Group high-availability solution, while it works well, could have been simpler to set up

* Performance/query tuning recommendations are not easy to locate

Yuvraaj D.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

There's a reason why most people choose SQL Server over other database softwares

Reviewed on 2020/12/27

I have never had any problems with SQL Server. It was always efficient and capable of doing whatever needed to be done.

Pros

Security is one of the most important aspects of database software since sensitive information can be stored in databases. SQL Servers are some one of the most secure servers out there so data is safe from hackers.

The scaling aspect of this software is great so whether your business is very small or very large that uses huge amounts of data to be stored, SQL servers can scale and use appropriate resources to handle databases therefore no lagging issues and problems querying databases etc. which makes it extremely fast and efficient.

With the large community that uses SQL Server, you have answers to almost all questions that you may have if you encounter any difficulties setting up or using the software, so troubleshooting is made really easy.

Cons

Cost could be an issue as this software could be a bit expensive however with that being said, you definitely will get quality.

Also there might be certain compatibility issues with other non Microsoft software that your company may use so in some cases you might have to switch over to Microsoft softwares in your company depending on what they are.

• Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

A leading and innovative data solution

Reviewed on 2020/12/29

My personal experience has been very positive once I was able to dive into the product dashboard, look into online training and guides that helped provide a lot of great insight into how to we get the most out of the platform and learn about the latest releases and features to help us keep up to speed on the latest capabilities available to use and try out.

Pros

The ability to visualize data, connect data from different sources and track activity and data usage/storage has allowed our organization to be successful in how we meet our objectives from a technical, data delivery and performance optimization standpoint.

Cons

There were times early on in the deployment and on-boarding process where it was difficult to get quality technical support, which created a few small hiccups early on, but eventually was cleared up once we connected with our solutions engineer who connected us with the right resources and training materials.

Brenten L.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Powerful and Scalable Database Software

Reviewed on 2020/10/28

Storing large quantities of production data to solve quality and efficiency problems has been a big use for SQL. All of the reporting and power to analyze data has solved countless puzzles for me in my job capacity. I also have done a lot of database administration for our ERP software and the tiles to tune and optimize have always been very helpful.

Pros

One of my favorite things about Microsoft SQL Server is the scalability. Whether you are using the free version for a small program running on a local machine or running an entire factory it is the same basic concept of programming and administration. I really appreciated being able to work to have a database software that could grow and expand when I need it too. Additionally the reporting and automation packages that come with it are super powerful. I would absolutely recommend using Microsoft SQL Server as anyone’s data as software

Cons

The biggest con in my opinion is that some of the more advanced features for big data analysis and high availability are in the top tier pricing which can be hard for smaller companies to afford. Other than that I have never not been able to solve a problem with Microsoft SQL.

Quentin G.

This sequel is better

Reviewed on 2019/10/07

Once SQL Server in Azure was selected, it proved to be a great experience. Security, performance and usability was ironed out for us already. We could focus on building our application rather than learning something new about cloud security or how to use a new type of database or database language variation. We have been pleased with the ability to research performance and include other features such as SSIS to accomplish our business requirements easily. Knowing that manual tasks are being completed automatically is a sigh of relief. We also will know immediately if there are any issues. We have had a great experience with SQL Server.

Pros

It is an industry standard that continues to improve to make the lives of developers easier. We are able to produce software solutions more efficiently because Microsoft continues to improve SQL Server. We rely heavily on this as critical to our business. Developers tell me how flexible SQL Server is also. SQL is more compatible with software packages than other competing databases.

Cons

Parts can be not intuitive unless you've been using it for awhile. It is a technical piece of software that requires time and training. If you need the Enterprise edition for specific features, it is expensive.

best of server

Reviewed on 2019/09/25

I have using this more than 5 years , by comparing with other server platforms sql server te best of easy use for developers as well as Administrators

Pros

It was easy of access to manage SQL server agent can manage most required part with automate rather than doing manual

And also design with more user friendly compare with others

Cons

While queries of data some times have to convert it to tostring, but I hope its possible to identify and convert automatically, then developers will reduse their codings

Anuj S.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Two words - "Best RDBMS"!

Reviewed on 2018/09/05

Highly recommended - The Best RDBMS Package I have worked so far.
Best IDE - let the wizard do basic things with you few clicks so you can focus on actual DB tasks and writing query.
Developers in your team are going to love this Database!

Pros

• Microsoft SQL Server is the best RDBMS package I have ever worked on! (Other DBs I have used are - Oracle, Teradata, MySQL, and Redshift)
• Just like other Microsoft products; SQL Server is by far the most User-friendly Database Server - best IDE
• Lots of wizard features from import, export, backup, query builder etc that anyone can easily learn and do just with few clicks!
• Intellisense (like visual studio) to complete code while typing and showing common mistakes before you even execute
• Built-in execution plan viewer which is nice enough to start with.
• Free Plugins and third-party tools available to make your life even easier like: Poorman SQL Formatter, SentryOne Plan Explorer etc
• Integrates very well with other MS products. Full MS BI stack includes SSIS ETL, SSRS BI Tool, SSAS etc.

Cons

• No considerable cons. Maybe Microsoft should consider offering built-in features/tools for which developers use third-party tools and plugins. Like builtin execution plan viewer is not as great as SentryOne Plan Explorer.
• With so many built-in features one little must have to include is One click code indentation. Until Microsoft can add this feature, we can live with Poorman SQL formatter.

Very complete Database manager

Reviewed on 2019/09/09

Pros

Even when some people argue that is not the most fastest database for me is the most useful and with more tools than most, almost all databases has store procedure, functions, etc. but one thing that SQL Server has that most don't is the ability to create your own type of data, I mostly prefer to use Table type so I can insert a lot data in one single transition without using a loop condition to validate
The source manager allos to see the type the query and from what machine is been executed

Cons

you need to use the installer every time you need to create a new instance, if the server is down and you restar the services, you need to open the sql magnament to restart the jobs as well

• Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Perfect combination of power and intuitiveness

Reviewed on 2019/10/01

I have worked with SQL Server for 20 years now. It is used on the backend of many powerful products and also used for small web sites as well. It's very easy to connect to and to link to non-Microsoft database systems. TSQL is very powerful as it has all standard SQL functions as well as its own.

Pros

The express edition, which is free, is more than powerful enough to serve as a back-end for most small/medium sized web sites which is great for small businesses to start and grow.

Cons

Installation of all the features can be a pain. Making sure you have the engine, agent, management studio can be confusing and often come in separate download packages.

Ron V.

Awesome database management

Reviewed on 2021/01/31

I started working as a technical consultant for a company that supplies ERP software, based on Microsoft Dynamics (NAV and Business Central). When I started, I didn't now anything about SQL server, other than having heared from it and seen it a couple of times.
I followed a lot of online trainings and watched a lot of videos on Youtube, but now I am able to implement SQL server at our customers, administer the most common tasks and even take performance analysis when there are issues at our customers.
I still need to learn a lot, but I find this application so great that I am looking forward to it.

Pros

First of all, I'm no certified DBA but I work with Microsoft SQL Server on daily bases.
I install SQL server on servers of our customers, to be used with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central (and previously Dynamics NAV). I install it, I configure it and I administer it.
Everything I know about SQL server, I have learned myself from online training and trying things out.
What I like most about SQL server, is solving performance issues. Using SQL Profiler for instance by grabbing what SQL server does and try to find bottlenecks.

Cons

SQL server is so extensive, that it takes a very long time to learn it. I have been working with SQL server for over 4 years now and I still learn daily more and more about it.
But I don't mind that, I even love it.

Juan carlos G.
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Used Other for 2+ years

A nice Relation DB

Reviewed on 2019/07/18

I used to be working with freeand unexpensibe software like postgreSQl and mysql , moving to paid bar allowme to programm all my task on jobs or triggers making everything more easy and leaving me with more time to develop. Also my team controll allow me to check whats going on an d how did every move.

Pros

Easy to use , many tools to help you with , most of our partnets use it. Lots of information on internet. Frequenly updated and patched up for microsoft. Help you with data analysis works on windows and ISS

Cons

Heavy size . Most of the features are not used for new users. Costly yearly billing.

Michael H.

SQL Server - Keeps Getting Better

Reviewed on 2018/11/15

I have spent more than a decade working with SQL Server and various technologies from a Sys-Admin/Sys-Analyst role in modern day IT organizations. I've had the opportunities to install, maintain, worked on and within, and develop throughout several versions of SQL Server.

I've worked in SaaS and Web App for providers that combined have covered the entire Fortune 50 and more than half of the Fortune 500. I've worked in JavaScript prior to and throughout it's massive growth creating projects in NodeJS using mssql and node-mssql to transform SQL data into useful JSON object sets on the fly since before SQL could even output JSON. I've authored several helpful tools over the years combining SQL Server with bleeding edge platforms to provide tools to previous organizations that were better at the time than even some leading tools performing those functionalities today.

Pros

SQL Server is an industry standard software. It is highly configurable, capable of multiple setups, and deeply ingrained with the Microsoft Windows platform. Administration is quick, effective, and easier than ever.

Cons

SQL Server 2017 has a weak implementation of Graph databases which will be a much more prevalent database type once big data and IoT really kicks in. In my opinion, Microsoft should be forcing the graph database capabilities forward and trying to match products like NEO4j in performance.

Ease of use with scalability

Reviewed on 2021/02/13

Well for learners and use at enterprise level,SQL server is quite improving which is promising and good to start with.

Pros

It provides a good learning atmosphere , it's easy enough to learn and understand.Everyone who is enthusiastic about this can pick the code,it offers functionality at large enterprise scale.
It now works well with python,PaaS is recent and modern database which is quite alluring.It connects well with Office 365 tools and apps.

Cons

It drops at connectivity points.As sometimes cloud doesn’t work well or sync.

David M.

SQL over the time

Reviewed on 2018/10/23

I have used SQL Server as the weapon of choice for business development and despite some minor product bugs over time, always has been a highly manageable and capable especially for long-standing data, very friendly even with developers who are not familiar with Microsoft technologies

Pros

For long time has been the working horse for database oriented applications and corporate data on Microsoft side. Is a highly robust database engine and supports a lot of punishment on production enviroments. Also provides a long standing continuity for older database repositories over from previous versions of the product. The management tools in their several incarnations provided almost all the needed capabilities for developers and database administrators. Also the cross data capabilities and the support for OLAP has been among the stronger points, currently enhanced capabilities for memory oriented data, cloud computing and the newest support for Linux enhance the experience

Cons

I found that a major drawback i found over the time is than usually SQL Server releases are a little behind their competitors in terms of state of the art capabilities and features.

Daniel T.

A great database and a data management solution

Reviewed on 2016/11/21

I have been working with MS SQL Server from the SQL 2000 version. Currently I work with SQL 2016 (and I am testing SQL 2016 in Linux). In all of these years, I have been using a different solution of the database (clustering, data mirroring, CDC, log shipping, AlwaysOn, etc..), always with a great satisfaction.
A great number of people think that MS SQL Server is a database for small data volumes but, these people are wrong. This database, can manage a big data volume and his management could be very easy if you follow the MS recommendations.
On the other hand, you have a great knowledge base in Microsoft and in a great number of tech portals and blogs. You can find in the Internet, (almost) any T-SQL code to implement with only search it.

Pros

You can do practically anything with this database because it, has complete solutions integrated into it like SSIS, SSRS, Monitoring, Task Schedule (SQL Agent), alerts, other database connectors, etc.
And currently Microsoft is working to finish his database 2016 version to running on Linux.

Cons

Perhaps the only (at the moment) problem, are the locks management in the database when the update/delete operations are very big. I miss the possibility to auto-partition (internal scripts) of these operations, managed by the database engine.

Gurleen K.

RDBMS by Microsoft

Reviewed on 2019/04/24

Microsoft SQL Server is a great software to manage your relational database. Data Maintenance plan can be configured easily to setup the different kind of backup like differential backup,transaction log backup, tail-log backup. Microsoft is working on simplifying the management part with high availability of server using features like fail-over and load balancing.

Pros

SQL Server is a relational database developed by Microsoft. SQL Server manages the data warehousing and manage the workload efficiently. The real time analytics help in improving the store-procedure performance. Clustering help to distribute the workload in the peak hours. Mirroring database helps in redundancy and can be recovered in case of database corrupt .Dynamic data masking and data encryption help to secure the data. Fail-over is easy to configure in SQL Server 2019 edition.

Cons

MS SQL Server backup encryption is one of the best feature Microsoft added in it but it needs some more options like recover key options. Microsoft SQL Server Developer edition should also support the hybrid cloud environment so DBA's can also implement the 2 Tier architecture.

• Industry: Food Production

SQL Server database administrator

Reviewed on 2019/08/12

I am developer of sql server which makes me easy is SDLC and SSRS reporting . Which is very fast and efficient.

Pros

1. Fast searching and supporting large sized data.
2. SQL indexing is making it very fast.
3. support all framework.
4. Integration and support for most of dotnet based software and erp solution.
5. highlt secured and very precise reciovery option.

Cons

Not at all only it should be free to use for small shops.

Stable, high performance and extremely capable enterprise database software

Reviewed on 2018/01/28

This is a very vast and complex software and one has to spend years using this software to summarize its very many benefits.
Having worked in mostly Microsoft development shops for the past 14 years, I have used SQL server in almost every enterprise project that I have worked on.
Ease of use, simplicity to alter schemas, easy TSQL syntax, ability to easily create and manage indexes/stats, reporting services, ease of access control, security via encryption, performance tuning capabilities, always on features, backup and restore capabilities with advanced backup and restore options, cloud capabilities, ease of integration with various front end software are just some of the various benefits of this mammoth software.

Pros

Microsoft Ecosystem
SQL management studio
Query Analyser
DB Tuning / Optimization wizard
Estimated Query Results
Ease to integrate with any front end technology
High Performance
High Scalability
Scheduled jobs
Ease of Integration via Visual Studio

Cons

Enterprise License costs
Slight learning curve for advanced features like SSIS, data warehousing.
Performance Tuning of large database would take years of core specialized training and experience
No supporting software like RedGate to performance schema / data comparisons

Pankaj R.

Great for Enterprise application

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

I will rate it 9/10. Looking into features and ease to operate, performance etc. I have tried other DBs but personally like this one. SSDT is great component for Visual Studio and sometime you don't need to run SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio), as you get most of it on SSDT, but database engine must be running. I love it.

Pros

Even for beginners it's easy to use. Great for creation, management and easy to learn. The query analyser is awesome. Inbuilt template for New Database, stored procedure, views, tables. Easy to generate script for table and it's data. Execution plan is really helpful when writing complex queries. Overall, I really like it. I have full version installed my machine and have disabled some services which I don't want like SQL Agent.

Cons

The heavy one. I know it has many in built features like sending emails directly from database and generate reports but still heavy. Sometime I couldn't restore the backup from older version and that is painful. The price is high, may be the reason they have done tremendious job since they release 2005 version.

• Industry: Banking

Better and better enterprise DB platform of Microsoft

Reviewed on 2020/01/26

SQL server is one of our bank's database system. Quite stable, user friendly, developer friendly.
Good support and large knowledge base community.

Pros

1. Much larger dataset processing capability;
2. Much improved performance;
3. Robust analytical functions;
4. new features of columnial index;
5. Strong integrations with SSIS, SSRS, Power BI.

Cons

1. I really cannot find any thing i don't like about this software.
2. if there is, maybe i have to compare with other software.

Rajesh K.

Review of Microsoft SQL Server

Reviewed on 2020/04/26

Nice . Must improve their security level on cloud enviroment.

Pros

This Microsoft SQL Server has many features and user friendly RDBMS in Tech world. SQL Server is very secure in both Cloud and On-Permissive. i like very much. i expect more modification this server.

Cons

SQL Server need more secure options in Cloud Environment. because there are some security loophole in this server.

Luca C.

The giant of RDBMS.

Reviewed on 2018/02/02

Pros

I am a DBA specialized in using the microsoft platform for several years, even having seen several DBs I can confirm that in this case Microsft has created a complete and really well done product. I believe it is absolutely one of the best RDBMS on the market, since the latest versions have also introduced in-memory technologies is truly a complete product. Obviously we are talking about a "business-enterprise" product, but if you want to play a little with express / developer versions you can also start with simpler and faster implementations.

Cons

The licensing costs are high especially if we are talking about Enterprise versions, it must be said that direct competitors have much higher prices and do not provide complete packages like that of Microsoft that includes everything in the license cost, including the complete package of tools suitable for BI (ETL, REPORTING, OLAP ...).

Solid Relational Database

Reviewed on 2020/03/30

I've had an pleasant experience with SQL Server, I'm not sure I could recommend it over some of the other big name relational databases, but if you use it I think you'll be happy.

Pros

I really like how easy it is to setup and get going. The GUI's and setup tools make life a lot easier. It does what it's supposed to and is pretty solid, doesn't crash, and just works which is nice.

Cons

I don't like the configuration aspect deeper than just click and go. You can configure a lot of how it runs, but coming from competitors where there felt like unless configuration and the ability to get all the way down the bare bone settings to squeeze all the performance you can, this software feels too much like it holds your hands.

Juan V.
  • Industry: Airlines/Aviation
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

The best Manager Database

Reviewed on 2020/11/10

It is a great database tool. It has good speed and is light for servers. Its express version is free, which helps a lot for small companies or those who are starting.
It is very robust and allows you to scale as needed, this greatly facilitates maintenance and scalability. Thanks to its functionalities, it allows us to improve the performance of the development team, by providing various tools and functions to carry out our activities. It is a very complete tool, which has allowed me to face great development challenges and to be able to fulfill the required functionalities.

Pros

The connection to multiple platforms: Local, Remote, Azure.
Querys execution statistics.
Querys validation.
Creation of relationship schemes.
Execution of maintenance.
The Express version is free.

Cons

I consider that the negative of this software is, failing that, its Achilles heel: they are the updates from old to new versions, since they cause a lot of conflict and sometimes cannot be done.