Articulate 360 Reviews

Articulate 360 - Everything You Need for Course Development

Tomasz
Tomasz
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Great tool to create and manage your company's knowledge base

Reviewed on 2022/09/13

I'm using Articulate to crete trainings and then to assign the to users. I do enjoy every step of the process using Articulate. Interface is user friendly and range of available tools let's you create very professional and great looking trainings which can not only present the content but amaze users with the the way trainings look. I definitely recommend this tool to everyone who is creating/managing training and knowledge base of a company.

Pros

Articulate 360 to me appears like a super powerful Power Point with extra features like assigning courses, and managing results. Love to work with this tool. Layout is intuitive, it gives impression that all the tools that you need at the moment are available at your finger tips. There are many pre-defined shapes, animations etc. in case that you need to create a training quickly as well as great tools to let you visualize all your ideas regarding training creation.

Cons

I've never missed the tool I needed working with Articulate so I'm really happy about the overall functionality and cannot really point downsides

Patrick
  • Industry: Telecommunications

My bread and butter Elearning package

Reviewed on 2019/10/22

Overall, it's been great. Our whole training program now relies on Articulate. I could craft courses with Powepoint, and the embedded functionality of the LMS, or use another package but it would take longer and the end product wouldn't be as good. Their support is really good, and even though I've had issues from time to time, We've managed either a workaround or a fix fairly quickly.

Pros

It's very easy to use, almost intuitive. Basically, if you understand how to use powerpoint, you'll be very comfortable with this software. It has a lot of built-in functionality, as compared to Captivate. You can publish nice courses with little effort. Put some effort to learn it's advanced features, and you can craft stunning courses. I've used this since version 1, and Studio before that. It gets better and better.
They have a great, useful user forum, and attentive support.

Cons

I've had a couple instances where upgrades broke our lessons, the most recent being with Update 6. It was crashing the lessons if there was a quiz or survey. It was a SCORM issue. Our LMS toes the line, hard, on SCORM and the incompatibility caused me misery. I had to revert. Previous to that, upgrading courses from version 2 to version 3 caused the LMS to stop tracking and send warnings. The solution ended up being not to upgrade, but import the content in a new course. Not totally Articulate's fault, but rather a compatibility issue.

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360

Cost and Functionality. When we first transitioned to eLearning we used Articulate Online. We liked the fact that the software and LMS worked together. The pricing for both was pretty attractive. That said, we started with Articulate Studio, so it made sense to stay with Articulate. Storyline was still more attractive - both price and functionality than the competition.

Great for Beginners

Reviewed on 2019/04/08

Pros

It's really easy to use for people getting started with eLearning/course development. Very prevalent in most large organizations. Templates are easy to design.

Cons

After the launch of 360, you cannot purchase character packages any longer - feels like a way to strong-arm people into investing in the 360 version. Native application functionality as far as designing courses for learners with physical disabilities can be a challenge when trying to adhere to AA and AAA standards.

Michael

SilkWeb, an eLearning Company Prefers Articulate 360

Reviewed on 2020/04/23

I have been using Storyline for over 6 years.

I have been using Storyline for over 6 years.

Pros

The best product in this learning suite is Storyline. You can do essentially anything you want with this Storyline in terms of eLearning. From animations to simulations to videos, this product is an excellent partner when developing online courses.

Cons

Rise, which is also a product in this suite has a ton of potential, but there are some major flaws. For example, you cannot copy or move individual screens to a new lesson. It is also not very great if you want to add audio to screens. You can import individual Storyline screens into a Rise project, but at that point, you may as well just build in Storyline. I see its usefulness for novice developers as its very easy to use, as opposed to Storyline which is very technical to use and really made for professional developers.

Rachel

Best e-learning tool

Reviewed on 2019/10/17

I use this took daily. It is amazing and constantly improving. The e-learning heroes community is phenomenal when it comes to needing anything.

Pros

Easy to use. Intuitive. Great features. And the studio of tools is phenomenal

Cons

The price is definitely not the best for a small organization but you definitely do get a lot of benefits

Reasons for Choosing Articulate 360

More features that suited our organization needs

Alexander
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Great suite of tools for enterprise level eLearning development

Reviewed on 2021/04/19

Pros

What I really like is how the suite of programs in 360 supports varying levels of user expertise and needs. In particular, I love the new platform Rise for it's extremely intuitive interface and clean design. This is a great tool for non instructional designers or for those just getting into ID. Additionally, I appreciate the infinite flexibility and complexity that is offered by Storyline. For someone with years of expertise, Storyline can help you design just about any type of learning you are trying to implement.

Cons

While I like some of the newer tools like Replay and Peek I have found them to be a bit buggy.

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360

Articulate had more product offerings in it's suite and a more intuitive UI.
Matt

Rapid development with high quality

Reviewed on 2022/08/30

Couldn't work without it. I use it daily. I've introduced it to several organisations I've worked for and it has allowed each to step up the quality of elearning experience provided. The review system cuts down on admin around receiving feedback from subject matter experts.

Pros

The learning curve on the software is very shallow. You can get p and running with it very quickly. However, the depth of advanced features means you can really make some powerful interactions and resources without being a 'coder'.

Cons

As the software is very easy to use many people believe it will make them a great eLearning developer. It will, but that will come with experience.

iSpring Suite and Adobe Captivate

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360

Ease of use. Flexibility. Price. Training available and support .
Carolyn
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Best Authoring Tool Around!

Reviewed on 2022/12/20

Wonderful! I love this product and have been using it for almost 5 years. Great for collaboration, building engaging content, and creating professional looking eLearning products.

Pros

Articulate is fairly easy to use for the basic tasks but also offers unlimited opportunity for creating custom eLearning assets.

Cons

Sometimes, files get “corrupted “ for no reason and you have to troubleshoot with the support team to figure out why. (Although, their support team is always super helpful and knowledgeable!)

Rebecca
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Takes Your Teaching to the Next Level

Reviewed on 2020/10/20

I started using this to develop an online course that met federal and state standards and would connect with my students. I had the option to choose pricey versions of a course through 3rd party vendors. I invested the time in learning this software and saved my program about $18,000 a year. I now use it in lots of small ways too, your imagination is the only limit.

Pros

It's easy to jump in and start creating content since much of the layout is similar to Powerpoint. I love that you have a lot of control on how the user interacts with the program. And there is always more to learn and do. Additionally, the help and community forums run by Articulate are unmatched in the field. There is always help when you get stuck.

Cons

This is a complex program and it will take time to learn all of the little nuances. You have to invest a lot of time troubleshoot errors in complex files, there isn't anything that finds issues for you.

Adobe Learning Manager

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360

The features in Articulate seemed to be a better match for my intended process and outcome.
Joseph
Joseph
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Expensive But Worth It If You Are Do E-Learning

Reviewed on 2018/06/01

Since I do a lot of e-learning and all of it is on Articulate Storyline, it is a must but it has serious deficiencies and that is compounded by the fact that the customer service is utterly deceptive. If you need an e-learning tool, this is the best one even though it costs as much as it does. It is worth it. However, you need to be ready to understand a few things quickly. One thing you will learn is that they offer a discussion board and they have staff who are there to patrol and respond and help users, but it is not a help desk. When it comes to asking why something doesn't work, you will be told much of the time that it is working as designed but if it isn't quite right that you should submit a feature request and they don't do that for you as they should if they cared about the direction of the software. You should also know that there are many things about the product design that simply make no sense to anyone but the designers. They focus more on new features rather than fixing persistent problems that users continually complain about.

Pros

There is really no other software for publishing e-learning that is as easy to use and has the best non-programmer customization as Articulate Storyline. I absolutely love what you can do with it and how it can be used in many, many ways.

Cons

I absolutely hate three things about Articulate Storyline. I hate the enormous cost. I hate the way they handle their customer support and the way they deal with their own product development. If the product didn't cost as much as it does, then these other issues would not be so terrible, but because we pay so much for it, there really should be excellent customer support and excellent product development.

Glenn
  • Industry: Automotive

Articulate Storyline 3

Reviewed on 2022/05/17

Really good I did switch to captivate 17 when I left Storyline 2 but found that much more difficult to use, so went back to Storyline and got version 3. Great product but perhaps because it was familiar to me as opposed to Captivate.

Pros

I use the standalone Storyline 3 having upgraded from version 2 - whilst this would come as part of 360 it proves more cost-effective to buy the product once rather than a never-ending monthly subscription just to get access to features that we can create ourselves.

Cons

That there is no spell checker within the subtitle option to videos and audio. Have to cut and paste into another product to check sometimes.

Elizabeth
  • Industry: Media Production

Must-Have

Reviewed on 2021/05/19

I love it..it's been a great software to help introduce asynchronous learning into an organization that didn't embrace tech solutions for learning.

Pros

I love the different options this software has. Articulate Rise is so easy to use and build out courses. Storyline is much more challenging but the ability to create fun, engaging, interactive and interesting courses is endless! The templates are great to help people get started and learn about layers and triggers.

Cons

There's not easy way to rapid prototype a Storyline course so I am using that less frequently than I would like to.

Reasons for Switching to Articulate 360

It's a great product and well known in the industry.
Jorge

Great but could use more improvement

Reviewed on 2020/07/19

Pros

Really user friendly. It took me about an hour to understand most of it. It definitely makes it easy to create content and allows you to preview it quite well.

Cons

My main concern is in Rise Articulate. It was indeed quite simple to use, but that is the problem. For those experienced with LMS and Design, it feels limited after a bit. We still need more options to improve the quality of the content. We need options to upload audio directly linked to a word instead of having a full section per audio. Flashcards should have a shuffle option and an option to also upload audio. These are just some examples, and I hope there are more features over time.

Tracy
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

All you need to develop quality elearning experiences

Reviewed on 2017/04/12

Articulate 360 is an incredible collection of tools for the elearning developer and designer. Starting with Studio - users can quickly and easly create courses from materials already develop or start from scratch. Interactions are ready for you to import and use to get your course completed in a flash.

Storyline is more robust for developers. Anything I can dream I can usually design. From simple click-continue, to robust scenario branching. The option to include various types of trigger operations and variables leaves the possibilities to create engaging interactions endless.

The Content Library is there when I need it for gorgeous template designs. They are simple and clean, yet have some animations built in to catch the eye. I've used the templates available from design set and have mixed and match layouts as needed. Beyond that there are also a wide variety of characters, both photographic and illustrated, that can be included. I use less of these because of the nature of my work and that they don't really represent our staff look, but I have used a few. There is also thousands of images and icons that can be used. I accessed the icons more than images as these don't always meet my particular need as well in a health care setting.

The Review feature has been a wonderful addition to my tool set. Before I was having users email me or fill out a template to edit projects. Now I just upload it to Review, send it out and users can let me know slide-by-slide what needs correcting. Reviewers can also see each other's comments so the need to filter through repetative comments cuts my editing time as well. I do wish there was an annotation feature included, but perhaps in an upcoming version this will be included.

Replay I use quite often to screen capture and record. I love the option to edit the video as needed and add in titles where I need as well.

Rise is not an element I have yet been able to use within my LMS set up, but I have create a few test courses and seen some amazing projects within the community.

Really happy I went with Articulate 360.

Pros

Please see my overall review.
Ease of use and familiar interface.
Saves my progress
Review feature has been an amazing addition.
New trigger options add for so many more design interactions to be created.
Great addition to the number of characters and poses available.
Collection of templates ready for me to use and mix-match as needed has cut some development time.

Cons

See my overall review.
Characters' expressions are still a little too "over the top"
Characters and images don't necessarily match my work environment so I need to use sparingly.
Rise doesn't work well in my IE work environment, but I believe it is more an LMS issue than anything. Looking forward to finding a way to use it though.

Dan
  • Industry: Design

many ways to do one thing

Reviewed on 2023/05/04

Great, i use it everyday and enjoy the mix of problem solving and creativity to do one thing many different ways

Pros

As a package Articulate 360 does the lot. From speedy course development via Rise 360 through to creating more complex projects with that added wow factor via SL 360. In the beginning 360 asked a lot of me and the learning curve can be quite steep. Nowadays i am asking the questions and 360 typically delivers. As with most tools there are many ways of completing the same task and 360 does this well.

Cons

SL has seen a lack of investment from my POV whereas Rise has gone from strength to strength allowing the layman to rapidly development content. Don't make it too easy else i may be out of a job ;)

Shelby
  • Industry: Higher Education

A 360 Review for Articulate

Reviewed on 2019/05/29

My overall experience is that I look like a Rockstar and Articulate makes it so easy. That is due in large to their overall service through the community and training.

Pros

The free trial sets people up for success. If you choose to use the trial, you start to receive email notices from Articulate gurus offering assistance and tips. So, immediately you are introduced to the community. The community of e-learning first-timers to pros offers a great security blanket, helping you realize you are not alone!
The product itself offers several options for creating learning for everyone. From a "powerpoint" look-a-like with Storyline to Rise which offers authors a quick way to create responsive learning to screen recording and a lot more.

Cons

There is nothing I do not like about this software.

Microsoft PowerPoint and Adobe Captivate

Service and community.
Abigail

Storyline has come a long way

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

I started out on Storyline so it holds a soft spot for me in a lot of ways, but I'm expecting some big updates for Rise in future.

Pros

I think Articulate have worked really hard to develop as full a suite of tools that most e-learning professionals will need on the job - including Storyline, Rise and Review. I do like the Content Library for the most part but when you work in a specialist industry, it becomes very limited very quickly.

Cons

Rise is missing a lot of features that would make it more desirable than using Storyline in these days of rapid development. Storyline development is just too slow to work with regularly in my day-to-day work so I rely on Rise more (though this is due to working with another piece of software in another job that was similar but far superior however for agnostic device development, it's useful) - they need to configure the software to handle far more functionality such as more than 1 option for multimedia in a specific function type, i.e. I would like to add more than a single picture in an Accordion or Timeline function. I also don't like the Scenario function where you are stuck to using cheesy character photos when you have ones you want to upload and use. There needs to be a lot of tweaks to make Rise as superior as other products on the market.

Donna
  • Industry: Legal Services
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Hands down the best and easiest authoring tool

Reviewed on 2019/06/03

This is an expensive solution but overall, it's the best purchase we've made for Authoring

Pros

This is so much easier to use than anything else our team has tried. We can easily create a PowerPoint presentation and then convert it to and Articulate Storyline file. This means that a lot of the legwork is done before we even begin working in Articulate

Cons

Things start getting a little difficult when we are creating tests/quizzes in Articulate. There are a lot of options and we have to be extremely thorough and detail oriented when it comes to creating pre/post exams for the relevant courses.

Ease of use.
Keith
Keith

Good option if you do not want the subcription model.

Reviewed on 2020/06/10

Storyline has made my team process of converting courses from Flash to HTML5 a dream. We have been able to not only make this fix but elevate the quality of our training.

Pros

This is a great option if your team does not have the budget to pay for software yearly. Same great product at a one-time price.

Cons

The non-subscription method does not get updates as quickly as the subscription option so there will be times that you are not using the latest and greatest software.

Brett
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Articulate takes a big step into the future

Reviewed on 2016/12/01

Articulate has taken my favorite authoring tool to a new level by building it into a suite of tools for an elearning developer. Being cloud based allows for frequent updates, in fact an update came out just today. My favorite new tools are Rise, a fully responsive development app, and Review, an online tool for collecting comments/feedback from SMEs/clients during the development phase.

Pros

There is much to like about the software but I'd say the support community that Articulate has put together is unmatched. Staff and community members are just phenomenal.

Cons

It's a suite of products, basically everything that Articulate makes, and it's all or nothing. While it is still possible to buy some of the original products as standalones and Articulate is promising support for these you can't get the cloud-based apps ala carte. I wish they offered a model like Adobe does with its Creative Cloud where you can purchase the whole package or just select the specific ones you're interested in.

Graeme
  • Industry: Semiconductors

Reviewed on 2023/11/07

Having worked with both Adobe Captivate and Storyline I must say I am extremely impressed about how easy the software is and how many options are available to develop content right out of the box.

Pros

Articulate 360 comes with many tools available, including video capturing and rapid eLearning development. I use the authoring tool Storyline mainly from the suite and it meets all my requirements - powerful, customisable and easy to use. Being able to use javascript adds additional options behind the scenes.
To their credit they are constantly updating the software and from time to time introduce new features.
The community "ELearning Heros" is great with lot's of support and members sharing ideas and troubleshooting.

The review process is incredible and makes it easy to keep track of changes that are required.

Cons

Suggestions to enhancements are slow and sometimes are ignored for years.
Needing to pay full price for a full suite of products also makes it expensive for small teams , e.g. I didn't even consider suggesting Rise to our community of SMEs because it requires a full license even though they're only using one small feature set of the Articulate 360 suite.

A BIG NEGATIVE for me is no native Apple Mac support. This is a serious problem for me and many other members of the community

Michael

Articulate 360 shows promise to be a game changer.

Reviewed on 2016/12/14

Upgrading to Articulate 360 has been very exciting, it's nice to have access to all of Articulate's existing software, plus two new screencasting and four new web-based tools. The latest version of Storyline brings new features and enhancements that really help to take my projects to the next level; perhaps the best feature being the new responsive player.

Out of the new web-based tools, Review and Content Library have been the most exciting additions to my development toolbox. The review helps me to share projects with testers, SMEs, and Stakeholders in a way that consolidates the feedback process while giving me the ability to see exactly what the reviewer saw when they left their comment(s), no more guessing what was meant by a vague piece of feedback on a spreadsheet. The Content Library shows a lot of promise as new characters and media assets are added and do not require additional licensing or attribution. I'm hopeful that it'll help reduce the need for 3rd party stock media websites, which can get quite costly in a short period of time.

The only downside is the current subscription plan, one size fits all at a single annual price point. I don't really use Studio or Replay, so having them included in the bundle doesn't really benefit me but increases the cost. I'd love to see Articulate offer other tiers, or the ability to customize the bundle of software for my team to maximize ROI.

Pros

I like the new features that have been added to the existing tools, but the addition of the web-based tools is really what makes Articulate 360 shine. The opportunity to collaborate with the Review tool alone made the upgrade to Articulate 360 worthwhile. The rest is just the cherry on top of the cake.

Cons

Single, one-size fits all model for the subscription plan.

Phil

Articulate 360 the all in one solution

Reviewed on 2017/02/10

I have now been using Articulate 360 for 5 months, the is a suite of desktop and cloud based apps that provide an all in one solution for learning developers. This package include 3 authoring tools, Articulate Studio, Articulate Storyline and Rise.

Articulate Studio 360 is the fastest way to cover powerpoint presentations into fully functioning interactive learning, this tool has a new html5 rendering engine that is industry leading and looks simply amazing.

Articulate Storyline 360 has the same new HTML5 rendering engine as Studio but also adds in new triggers, new dials, ability to preview in HTML5 but also to see how the content will look on other devices, you also have the ability to lock the orientation of the devices if you prefer landscape over portrait.

Rise is a fully responsive authoring tool that is simple and fast to use yet produces some of the best looking learning around.

As well as the authoring tools, Articulate 360 gives you access to Review a simple way of sharing and conducting SME reviews. The Content Library where you can download, characters, images, templates and so much more.

360 also has a dedicated screen recording tools such as Peek and iPad apps. As well as an unlimited education through Articulate live, there have already been new features and functions added since release and this can only get better.

Pros

Storyline 360, Rise

Cons

slow publish

Melissa

Articulate 360

Reviewed on 2016/12/12

I really love being able to preview what my course will look like on a mobile device, and the fact that I don't have to manually redisgn a layout to be mobile friendly, since the software moves the menu for me.

I like the new asset library, and being able to access it right from Storyline 360.
I haven't had a chance to use the review tool yet, but am really excited about it! No more having to make tempshare links!

Rise is also a nice tool for simple courses - I really like the ease of use, and it speeds up development time. Having the ability to use the blocks as placeholders helps me visually structure my content before I even have to put "content" in.

I wish we had the ability to center text and pictures in Rise, and maybe change sections of font, or underline sections of font.

Adrian
Adrian
  • Industry: Food & Beverages
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

The tool I've always wanted to master

Reviewed on 2019/09/19

Pros

I have been following the eLearning Heroes blog (by the trainers for Articulate) for years, and am thrilled to finally have an opportunity to work with this software. The 360 product includes multiple products - including the flagship Storyline program, also heavy hitters Rise and Studio. The 360 suite includes desktop versions and web versions, depending upon your need. I haven't even been able to dig into the features as much as I would like to because I'm still in a new role and focused on other tasks, but I'm excited about the possibilities that this product makes possible.

The best thing about this sophisticated set of tools is the support that is available for learners and users. Articulate offers weekly (perhaps daily) training sessions on how to use the various programs included in 360, and the eLearning Heroes blog is a wealth of information. The trainers even have elearning challenges to prompt users to learn more of the indepth features.

The support is also exceptional. In my new job, I was given a flash drive full of files from an old Articulate Presenter project and a deadline by which to get the product updated and working for our new LMS. Since the files were a bit dated and I was still learning to use the product, a Customer Support Engineer exchanged dozens of emails with me to walk me step-by-step through the error messages and issues until I could get the old training ready to use. Support was very responsive.

Cons

There is a steep learning curve with Storyline, which is probably the biggest reason to get the 360 subscription. Although there are a number of learning opportunities, the product seems like it will take a few years to master.

The biggest con has got to be cost. I have never been able to afford or justify the cost of this tool, which is probably the top tool for ID's to be able to use. The pricing is not structured in such a way to lower the cost for individuals. Lucky for me, it is something my current employer was happy to pay for otherwise it would be out of reach.