VirtualBox

Open-source cross-platform virtualization application

Harshit B.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

VirtualBox, The little brother to the Workstation.

Reviewed on 2020/01/30

The ability to spin up and test instances of our application and also new flavours is the primary business purpose and virtual box ticks all thos boxes is a great asset to have to meet the business goals.

Pros

Have been using VirtualBox to spam new distributions of linux and other open source operating systems and also use Virtual box to deploy our application as well and we use it as a benchmarking mechanism tool.

Cons

The least thing we like about this is the amount of compute it takes to run the application on the slight less specked machine and it does a take on the battery life, otherwise the application is good.

Ashutosh M.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

One of the good VM solutions

Reviewed on 2021/03/18

Good so far, with more polishing it can be improved further

Pros

VirtualBox is essentially free and open-source that makes it desirable as a hypervisor/VM solution.

Cons

It lacks refinement and support such as on M1 macbooks which works against it in the market. More optimization is needed.

A sandbox where nothing can go wrong

Reviewed on 2019/11/10

VirtualBox is my choice when I need to test software in different OS, also it's great to give it a try to the myriad of OS out there without ruining our computer. If you are something that likes playing with fire (but safely) then VirtualBox is for you.

Pros

As a software developer and a geek by nature, it's quite common to ruin my whole workstation because I was playing with something I wasn't supposed to do. Imagine that your project is delayed because you tried to emulate a super old game on your PC, not cool. With VB I can safely play with any and multiple operative systems and install dangerous software, just for fun. It's great to be able to virtualize any Linux distro out there before really installing it on my computer, it also helps with getting used to a new OS before switching to it. VB is simple and easy to use, you can go a long way just with the default settings and it will setup your virtual machine based on the OS you pretend to install.

Cons

It's not necessarily a VB problem but about virtualization in general, I run my virtual machines on 4GB of RAM and my host machine can be really slow when running the virtual machine, it's important to know that to fully enjoy the benefits of virtualizations and run virtual machines smoothly we need a decent video card and more RAM. Besides my poor setup, VB runs incredibly well.

Esther R.
  • Industry: Information Services

Excellent Virtual Machine Software for Individual Users

Reviewed on 2019/12/22

VirtualBox excels at its primary purpose, which is to help individual users set up virtual machines on their computers quickly and easily. The interface is one of the best I've seen in almost any product category, and its ability to hide advanced options while still making them available as needed is top notch. Almost every modern operating system can be installed on VirtualBox, including the always-popular Windows and most Linux distributions. When it comes to negatives, some operating systems (especially Linux distributions) require additional programs or drivers to be installed before they will support all of the virtual machine features, and these drivers can occasionally break when updating the operating system until a fix is developed. Nonetheless, these are minor concerns, and VirtualBox is almost always my top recommendation for virtual machine creation, not to mention my own personal favorite.

Pros

Setup wizards make it extremely easy to set up your virtual machine, supports most popular operating systems, has advanced options available for those who need them, interface is excellent to work with

Cons

Some operating systems require additional configuration after installation, some limited driver support depending on operating system

Charith K.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Create a Virtual Machine inside your PC

Reviewed on 2019/11/22

The experience I had with VirtualBox is simply amazing. This is a lightweight yet a powerful software that enables the user to emulate a PC with an OS in your computer and test-out its functionality. As a programmer, I found this really helpful in learning different Operating systems like Linux and Ubuntu. In the second semester of my University we used this tool to learn Linux shell commands and related functionality efficiently without directly installing Linux in our computers .

Pros

VirtualBox is an open-source/free hosted hypervisor developed by Oracle. Using VirtualBox we can allocate some RAM and Secondary Storage to create a Virtual Machine (emulation of another PC) inside of our PC. This helps a lot when you want to try out the functionality of different Operating Systems. I used VirtualBox to create a Virtual Machine with Linux Installed (I use Microsoft Windows 10 as my primary OS) to learn about the functionality of Linux Shell and its commands. It is efficient and easy to create such a Virtual Machine and install a OS to it rather than installing a second OS to your own PC. You can create such a virtual machine even if you don't have a large RAM or a secondary storage.

Cons

There were no major cons of this software in my experience. However, I believe that the user-interface of the app looks a bit outdated and it can be improved. Also, the procedure of creating a virtual machine and installing an OS can be a bit confusing and complicated for a beginner.

Dylan E.
  • Industry: Information Services

Great for setting up free virtual machines.

Reviewed on 2018/09/29

We use this in our organization to create development environments comparable to our production environment, where we can create and develop without fear of breaking things.

Pros

The tool is free to use and has unlimited use. It can be used for any type of OS and you can provide your own .iso files if you have a special need for it. It is also very easy to manage a virtual machine and in the interface you can configure alot in regards to hard disk, network, etc.

Cons

The only downside to this is that the software is regularly updated (which is a good thing of course). The problem is that it is common to encounter virtual machine-breaking incompatibilities, leading to having to destroy and recreate my machines more than once.

Raul M.

Easy to manage virtual machines

Reviewed on 2018/07/01

Pros

May be it's not the best performer of all the virtual machines managers, but it really is the easiest. It's free too. Compared to KVM, VM Ware or Hyper-V I get a little slower disk write access, and a little lower network performance. I would not use it for a big farm of VM but I use it in daily basis in my own and work computers for testing, developing, always clean OS, etc.)
I would definetly recomend it.

Cons

Given the price, I would not give any cons to it but being a little picky, I would appreciate a better disk performance and better dynamic ram management. Not a big issue anyway it not used in big environments.

Mary elizabeth L.
  • Industry: Sports

It helps me to run Windows on my MacBook Pro!

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

VirtualBox saved me a lot of money. There's no need to buy a Windows PC because I can just use it on my MacBook.

Pros

I am using a lot of software for my business and sometimes they are not available on Mac. VirtualBox is a great program that helped me to run Windows on my MacBook. It is free to use and the installation is not that hard even for beginners. The programs are running smoothly on the virtual environment and my virtual OS rarely crashes at all.

Cons

It is resource intensive. So make sure that you're computer is up to date and has decent specs for it to run smoothly.

Abdul wahab K.

It make virtual machine easier

Reviewed on 2021/01/20

My experience of using Virtual Box was very good. I have tried many operating systems with it for professional and learning purpose. It helped me to test the software in different operating systems.

Pros

It enables me boot live operating systems directly from bootable CDs / DVDs or bootable ISO files. It enabled me to try out different operating systems on same machine without risking my data. It allows to transfer files from host machine to virtual machine and vice versa.

Cons

It often stop responding. It doesn't support every operating system.

Matt M.

Good, free virtualization product.

Reviewed on 2018/07/16

Pros

The main advantage to this, over something like VMWare Workstation, is that this software is free. It's got a rather small footprint and runs well enough, and doesn't have the same limitations that other free virtualization products do (Microsoft VirtualPC can only run 32bit hosts, VMWare Player can only run one VM at a time, etc).

Cons

I find that the software doesn't always have the best performance, at least in my experience. I've also had virtual machines crash and have been unable to get them to power back up after. The vmdk seems to be intact when this happens, and I've recovered by creating a new VM with the same virtual disk, but it's a step that I would like to not have to take.

Bill B.

Mature just-works virtual machine software

Reviewed on 2018/11/09

In the past I used it mostly to support Windows applications. Today it also runs vendor-supplied appliances, making ramping up a new product or service very easy.

Pros

I use the free version on Linux, so that's two positives right there. Whether I'm spinning up a Windows VM for occasional use or running a server in the background 24/7, VirtualBox does the job, making the complex simple. Never had a failure that I didn't cause myself. VirtualBox is multi-platform, runs most OSes ON most OSes.

Cons

VirtualBox from Oracle is not 100% Free, but I'm not ungrateful.

Kerby R.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Best virtual machine.

Reviewed on 2020/08/20

I love VirtualBox it gives me linux on windows, and vice versa. So when you are using someone else's system but you need a certain program or application it makes it very easy to work around it with out having to install a bunch of stuff.

Pros

It's free. Easy to install and setup. Runs on most popular platforms. Is totally customizable for your needs. Once it's setup you rarely have issues.

Cons

I only wish that they had a better troubleshooting system. So when your machine won't boot it would be easier to figure out why and how to fix the problem.

Jhampiert B.

I use it to develop a virtual platform environment

Reviewed on 2018/02/07

Perform virtualization environments under the concept of multiple platforms, since it can be installed on a variety of supported systems: Debian, Fedora, Mandriva, Ubuntu, RedHat, Open SOlaris, Mac OS X, Xandros, openSUSE, PCLinux OS

Pros

Supports the set of virtualization instructions in Intel VTx and AMD-V processors, this improves performance and places it with a very good score in recent virtualization comparisons such as Virtualization in Linux

Cons

The resolution configuration is a bit static, it does not recognize some distributions of Linux that are little known.

Rocky S.
  • Industry: Sports

Virtualization made easy with VirtualBox!

Reviewed on 2019/01/02

Pros

We use virtualization software throughout our company. VirtualBox is our choice.It helped us to save money and time by having a virtual infrastructure. We used it to test different websites and programs so that they perform well in different operating systems. It is free of charge and setting up a virtual OS is easy. You can also use many different operating systems to suit your needs.

Cons

Sadly, there is still no copy and paste option from the host OS to the virtual OS and vice versa.

Emir O.
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Best tool for deploying and testing virtualised OS images

Reviewed on 2020/09/19

Good, it is still my go-to app for virtualisation because it is simplier than VMWare and easy to use. Works good, has support for Linux.

Pros

I used it for years, for work related projects.
You can set up and fire up virtual machine in minutes. Also there is a bunch of avalible images on the internet.
Works with any pc or laptop that has enough ram and disk space.
I did find some problems when migrating old images to new one, but there are usualy people on forums that can help you.
I could say the best and cheapest software that has Oracle badge on it

Cons

Sometimes after update of virtualbox app vm would stop booting. Also it is fairly hard to create enviroment (on Windows 10 for example) to automate booting of some vm's.

Virtual machine for all your needs

Reviewed on 2018/08/06

Pros

This is the list of pros:
- Free
- Easy to use
- can emulate a lot of situations
- configuration don't need a master degree
- Same for Windows and Linux
- more pc in one pc :)

Cons

This the list of cons:
- Problems with specific OS: Cannot have MacOS virtual machine.
- (Linux) sometimes it crashs without no reasons
- (Linux) sometimes it freeze pc when used with Firefox, chrome or thunderbird.

Roman Y.

Free way to run virtual machines

Reviewed on 2019/01/18

We use VirtualBox for testing Linux servers and environments. It's very easy to test scripts and software that requires Ubuntu. Also it's very convenient to run some light native apps that requires Windows.

Pros

- Its's completely free solution to run virtual machines
- Performance is very good. You can easily run Windows or Linux on your Mac laptop with 8gb of ram
- You can natively run your Linux or Windows apps
- Supports drag&drop of files into virtual machine
- Supports importing of virtual machines in OVF format
- You can share your files with virtual machine

Cons

- Drag & Drop is not working stable on my build (6.0)
- Sometimes scaling of virtual machine monitor wasn't working properly on Retina screen
- 3D graphics emulation support is very slow, but acceptable

Quan N.

Great product to use for a VM

Reviewed on 2020/04/17

We use VirtualBox to access our local development environments, and other than a few minor bugs, it works like a charm.

Pros

I've used VirtualBox every day since I started, and it's been a wonderful tool to use when I'm working off-site and want to access my local dev environment. It was pretty easy to set up once you read the documentation.

Cons

We have run into system conflicts when a new release comes out. Usually my IT team fixes it, but every now and then VirtualBox will stop working once a new version is installed.

Compress and Continue!

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

Easy interface, big buttons, makes it easy for the customers we use this product for to interact with and run their legacy operating system software.

Pros

The Beauty of Virtual box, in our experience is that when a old slow machine needs to continue life, but it is not cost effective to repair, (such as an old XP unit) that runs mission critical software, you can Compress the drive to a Virtual machine, and utilize that machine on a much faster efficient system that will allow for many more years of use.

Cons

VirtualBox lacks a few features that many of its competitors consistently keep up with, such as legacy support for Windows 9x products, that believe it or not a lot of businesses still run software from.

Corine T.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Overall A Solid Tool

Reviewed on 2019/11/08

I think that this tool has a lot of benefits and it does work pretty well. It is great if you are intending to have several types of virtual machines on your computer at the same time. If you are only trying to put Windows on a non-Windows computer, I would recommend just downloading the Windows for [Mac] or whatever type of operating system you work with.

Pros

I've been using VirtualBox for a while, mainly for school assignments. It is a great way to get another operating system on your computer without needing to make the operating system take over your entire computer. I also like that you can have more than one virtual machine on there so you can switch off.

Cons

Sometimes it ran a bit slowly. Also, it is definitely not the same quality as having another operating system on your computer. For instance, I use Mac and I wanted to use Windows as well. Downloading Windows for Mac is easier and runs smoother than using Windows via VirtualBox.

Ben L.

Good, effective virtualisation for desktops

Reviewed on 2018/06/22

Pros

I use VirtualBox for running development VMs on my desktop and laptop. It is a good, mostly stable product which allows multiple VMs to be run at a time. I've been using it for several versions now and the feature set has improved greatly.

Cons

Occasionally (very infrequently) it can become unstable, and it's performance isn't quite as good as VMWare.

Jason J.
  • Industry: Government Administration

VirtualBox is great for Setting up Virtual Environments

Reviewed on 2018/12/30

Overall my Experience with VirtualBox has been great. I've used it extensively for QA Testing and running a virtual webserver. Highly recommend this product to everyone.

Pros

The ability to setup multiple platforms in virtualbox is key for me to test across platforms.

Cons

I've had a few instance of vm's getting corrupt when a power outage or other issue cause the vm to just shutdown unexpectedly.

Joe V.

A great, free virtualization tool

Reviewed on 2018/03/28

Pros

I use VirtualBox to build the images that we deploy to our fleet of desktops and laptops. The quick interface and easy setup makes this both quick and efficient.

Cons

It is not a feature rich as paid software like VMWare, but for basic tasks and building quick test environments it is a great option. Would love to see GPU pass through.

Virtualization with security

Reviewed on 2019/02/05

We like prototypes to develop new experiences, so we have a solid tool in every workstation to test new features.

Pros

The way to customize a appliance is easy, even if its created before. This tool its powerful and have no lag running servers or desktop.

Cons

I couldnt find metrics for virtualization to measure resources, so i need checking manual.

Thomas R.

VirtualBox is a great emulation solution

Reviewed on 2019/05/14

Has always been a great way to protect any computer I use regularly

Pros

I love the flexibility it provides, with the ability to emulate pc's within a pc, it provides a sandbox environment to protect your pc while browsing online

Cons

Some images lack compatibility depending on the hardware specs.