Coda

Text and spreadsheet documents management solution

Robert S.

feature impact, ease of use and integration with existing business

Reviewed on 2020/07/17

Outstanding, see other reviews for further details.

Pros

Coda is a fantastic application which has incredibly transformative potential for those who are interested in exploring it. It is feature rich, with a constantly expanding portfolio of API options, built in capabilities and all important 3rd party integrations, this enables easy integration into existing business infrastructure and quickly demonstrates return on investment once things start to get set up. The way I see coda is like word/docs with the functionality of excel/sheets/airtable and the look of notion - take all that and put it on steroids by adding near limitless customisability and a fantastic customer support team who will help you to achieve things that you didn't even know possible - what you end up with is just a doc, the way docs should be

Cons

As coda is much younger than its competitors some of its features are still in development, for example the API only recently came out of beta (as of 17/07/20). There are some downsides to this which I'd like to imagine you can assume, however the diligent team release updates extremely regularly and listen intently to their customers, building a fantastic user-centric workspace experience with ever increasing features. The main thing which I didn't like about the software is that the tools in upper pricing tiers are too attractive, making me want to spend more than my budget on this kind of software - which I suppose is a good and bad thing.

My New Favorite Tool

Reviewed on 2020/07/17

Having everything about a project live all in one place had saved me a lot of head aches. I'm building out a course and this has become the hub of the entire thing. The face that I could build out all the tabs and pages I needed has kept me organized and on track, not something i could have done on google sheets or any other pm tool for this particular need.

Pros

I love that I can sign in with my gmail account, that along makes my life easy. I like that I can easily integrate other apps and build out projects based on my needs. The best part for me is to easily collaborate with others in real time, the feature is really smooth.

Cons

Honestly, there isn't much i don't like about it, so I don't have much to say here. Maybe more on the free plan for those just getting started?

Dariusz K.

Low-code at its best!

Reviewed on 2020/07/20

Pros

There's a lot that you can do using just the free version. Paid plans provide useful additions. After spending a little time with the documentation, you can build amazing things.

Cons

The learning curve is a little steep. I have experience with database software and I feel it put me at a disadvantage as I had to let go of some old habits. Some parts of Coda are reminiscent of a classic database while others force you to think a little bit differently.

Niels W.

Powerful, flexible and rewarding to use

Reviewed on 2020/10/12

I see its relevance In all my future work in some way or another.

Pros

If you like playing around with software or do you need to customize functionality to various projects Coda is a serious contender. There are so many uses and possibilities that it replaces a lot of other software.

Cons

It is not always easy to translate your idea into a functional Doc, so be prepared for a step learning curve.

Marc M.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Could be a great product, but Not the best for me

Reviewed on 2020/09/30

Beyond utilizing the initial document/app I was provided, I found my experience frustrating at best. It’s not Coda’s fault, this product could be perfectly ideal for someone with the right skills, that’s just simply not me.

Pros

The idea of building up an ‘app’ to be exactly what I need functionality-wise, and based off of an all-encompassing spread sheet was very appealing. I would have access to all the info I needed on desktop and mobile.

Cons

Building it out to be what I needed required an ability to code the document in every way, and that’s just not something I’m knowledgeable enough for. Nor do I have the time to figure it out. Even once I did finally build out features, I would easily delete them accidentally.
That said, I got some help early on to get everything set up correctly, but again, without knowing how to do it myself, I couldn’t maintain or expand on what I was provided.

Miguel R.
  • Industry: Research

Coda is the ultimate Team unifier

Reviewed on 2020/07/17

Pros

Before Coda, we used to have several different programs and databases to keep track of our day to day work. Coda has become the one-stop-shop for most things we do that don't require higher processing capabilities (statistics, image analysis, etc.). I really like how several of us can be on a certain document at one time (similar to the Google docs functionality) and all of us can collaborate in real time without having to jump from one application to another.

Cons

We have a lot of data in Coda and I really wished there was a statistical analysis option for our tables and charts. When I say stats, I don't mean high order stats (such as Chi-square tests, T-tests, etc.) but averages and counts based on specific criteria and so forth. Also, though once you know the program it's a breeze to work with, a Doc Maker needs to spend a lot of time familiarizing him/her/themself with the abundance of features Coda has to offer and its language.

Oriol Q.

Great experience

Reviewed on 2020/07/17

Pros

I like that you can set up almost all your documents. The cross-table functionality it's very useful. The monthly improvements also give an incremental value to the platform.

Cons

At the beginning it's difficult to set up, once you know how to do it it's more easy but the learning curve is high. Also I don't like the permissions and visibility modes, are to simple and don't accomplish my needs.

Brianne C.

Much More Powerful Than A Spreadsheet

Reviewed on 2020/07/20

Our main use of Coda is project management. We are able to prioritize projects, create/assign tasks, view project status reports, create calendar reminders, click buttons for email updates, track progress according to target completion dates, and more. Coda has helped us stay on track with our projects.

Pros

I love that you can have different views of the same data, and if you update any of the fields in one view, it will update the data in all views. It also allows you to easily pull in "people" (example: who last modified this row, or tag someone in a comment), "packs" integrations (with gmail, Google Calendar, Slack, etc.), and so much more.

Cons

Overall, it was pretty easy to learn Coda. But while the formula structures are somewhat intuitive, it's still different than what I'm used to, and slows me down a little bit when I'm writing a formula for a column (while I'm used to writing formulas super fast in Excel). However, that's to be expected with any new software, and will become more natural with more practice.

Simon L.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Coda

Reviewed on 2020/07/17

I’ve used Coda for a variety of things, in much the same way as you might reach for a spreadsheet I now reach for Coda.

At a personal level, I’ve used to manage my personal finances, keep track of recipes and help me to stay on top of my gym workouts.

For work I’ve used to create project briefs, manage my projects and finances.

Pros

It is really easy to get up and running with Coda. Within minutes you can create something that is really useful

Cons

The only reservation I have about Coda is it’s scalability. With very few rows it can become incredibly slow. I appreciate Coda are working very hard to improve but I advise anyone to verify the feasibility of their application by performing a quick test to establish whether performance is likely to be an issue.

Partha protim P.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Coda Review

Reviewed on 2020/11/27

There is no doubt that CODA is one of the best Enterprise software. They offer diverse packages to both small, medium and large Organizations. To sum it all up, if your Organization has plenty of money, then you can invest in CODA and enjoy quality support.

Pros

CODA is a Financial Business Tool. The support team is very energetic who offer quality training and expert support. The tool itself is very user friendly as it allows Organizations to build their own financial system platform. It provides a customized interface facilitating data entry, reporting, analysis etc.

Cons

The cost (especially for large Organizations) is enormous, considering that not all features/functionalities are required. The cost should be decided based on the customer requirements. There are other cheaper products in the market which might get the job done at a much lesser price.

• Industry: Design

Coda is the best!

Reviewed on 2020/07/16

Pros

Rolling out Coda cross-functionally has been hugely beneficial for our business. It has helped all of our departments collaborate more effectively, and new features are constantly being added and improved. Plus, Coda support is always super helpful.

Cons

The chart feature is the aspect I like least. I used Gantt charts quite frequently and the text layout always comes out a little funky. I also use the Cross-Doc pack, but I wish there was an easier way to share info across documents.

Héctor R.

The best tool to manage my day to day

Reviewed on 2020/07/16

I run my proyect managament process, CRM and communication with my clients.

Pros

Very easy to use and flexible. I can easily create project-management docs, CRM, sales process, to-do lists and even a simple landing page for my clients. The automatization features are amazing and can save you many hours.

Cons

The formulas could be better. Also the Publish and design options could be better to create landing pages. More integrations.

Stephen L.

Amazing!

Reviewed on 2020/02/08

It's awesome. I'd highly recommend Coda. They've also added a few integrations which add even more to the possibilities.

Pros

Coda might be the single most powerful piece of software that I use. The use cases are endless. I use it for product planning, notes, research, release planning and much more.

Cons

It can be overwhelming at first because of all the things you can use it for, but they have solid documentation.

Indranil G.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Fantastic organization application

Reviewed on 2019/11/15

- I have been able to successfully use Coda in my daily work life because of it's high usability.

Pros

- The fact that I can connect my mail to spreadsheets, to project planner, to anything I really want as a tracking tool.

Cons

- Vast majority of applications available within one app. So very difficult to search for what is available. But it is negligible.

Andrea G.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Good product

Reviewed on 2020/07/21

Good experience creating a Company Wiki for a small tourism company

Pros

Ease of use, the free tier gives a good amount of features already out of the box.

Cons

No per-page permissions on free tier. Mobile app very slow, hangs frequently on both iOs and Android, development of mobile apps not very agile.

Marie V.
  • Industry: Venture Capital & Private Equity

The future of docs and collaboration

Reviewed on 2020/07/29

My experience with Coda has been exceptional. I feel empowered by their resources to create exciting docs that have transformed our workflows, and if I ever have questions I know that Coda Support or the Coda Community will be able to help.

Pros

Why I *love* Coda
- First and foremost: tables and a writing surface in one doc. Never again do I have to link to a spreadsheet or paste long-form text into table so that all of my Google Suite info is cobbled into one doc.

- Spans personal and professional work. I have transferred most of my professional work into Coda docs and (even more excitingly) moved all of my "life admin" work (moving checklists, auto repair history, wedding planning, etc) into Coda docs. Coda's flexible platform allows you to build docs that suit whatever work you're trying to accomplish.

- Automations. In Coda you can set data and time-based triggers to alert you in email and Slack. These are game-changers when it comes to remembering an upcoming deadline, reminding a co-worker of an outstanding action item, or celebrating a data milestone.

- Doc Gallery. The gallery is a collection of published docs that can be copied for your own use or be used for inspiration for creating new docs. If I'm ever stuck on how to make a doc (like distributed onboarding), I browse docs that other Coda creators have published for ideas on layouts, formatting, and formulas.

Cons

Challenges in using Coda
- Onboarding. The power of Coda can be intimidating when onboarding – I would second-guess whether doc layouts were as good as they could possibly be, if my formulas were robust, if I should make a different sub-page or section for content, etc. Thankfully, Coda has a variety of resources like their Community of creators, the Help Center, a YouTube channel (shout out to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]!), and a fantastic support team. It took a couple weeks of watching videos and reading the Community page while transferring docs to Coda for me to feel like I really understood the platform, but now I feel like I really *get* all of the features and feel empowered when making docs.

- Onboarding your team. Getting a team to adopt a new tool, especially something as foundational as docs/collaboration/documentation is hard. We had the full spectrum of people who were elated about using Coda to... not elated. I wanted to give everyone the experience of using a fully built out doc, so we transferred our weekly team meeting gdoc into Coda. In doing this everyone had a direct comparison between old (gdocs) and new (Coda docs), and we won over most people just with that doc. To keep up the momentum, I worked with teams and individuals to transfer over their docs to Coda, and I send out an email every week sharing a Coda feature (like emailing pages, automations, conditional formatting). Coda is the new default for our team after ~1-2 months of transition.

The documenting master tool

Reviewed on 2020/07/17

We started using Coda as our source of truth for the company, specially for documentation. But as the product has evolved, we have used the product as our task management system too.

Pros

I like the easy of use of this tool. It’s like having the best of Google Docs, and Google Spreadsheets all in one place. You can customize almost everything! And it has great integrations with third party applications, plus you can connect through multiple API client libraries.

Cons

At the very beginning, our team experienced performance issues. The tool is so robust that needs memory and some browsers were not supported.

However, as Coda grew as a company, performance issues are not a thing anymore and their support team was super diligent at helping us optimize our docs.

Joost M.
  • Industry: Sports

Using coda to organize

Reviewed on 2020/07/19

I have been able to set up an online interactive system to organize our activities in a way that would have required much more effort with any other tool. And really nice is that you can modifying/add features with incredible ease.

Pros

Coda is super easy to organize information, share it in an app like environment and build a documentation website/app. With the help of tables, action buttons and 'smart' views you can do things that would take much more time to setup with other tools. A lot of functionality can be implemented without ever reading any documentation.

Cons

There is a limit to the amount of information (or data) that can (practically) be stored in a (multi-page) doc. The limit is high, but you need to be aware of certain limits.

Camille K.

Camille's personal experience

Reviewed on 2020/07/17

I use Coda mostly to personal purposes. I can control my finances and my time appointments (I have to register the hours spent per project in my job) in a very practical way. I love the easily going customization to make docs.

Pros

Particularly, I use Gmail integration a lot to send my job appointments. It's very pratical and useful. Also, for teams, I like the possibility to mark another person and send emails when needed.

Cons

Once I use Coda to manage the team's tasks. It was very productive. However, when the project was over, I accidentally deleted the doc and then I was unable to recover it. It was really frustrating.
I also dont't like the date formats, whenever I try to pass the data to some spreadsheet I can't because of the date formats.

Katie M.
  • Industry: Events Services

Useful product for our internal knowledgebase

Reviewed on 2020/09/22

Coda is a well-designed platform that has allowed us to centralize all departments into one spot for documentation. Coda has strong support docs and videos that has helped us transition smoothly and continue to learn about new features and ways to use the product better. The new product emails they send out every so often are so informative!

Pros

Coda is a robust software that has helped our company centralize all our internal documents. The platform is quite user friendly, allowing us to really expand the product features to meet our needs as an organization. The support and help documents are quite impressive, we used it to train our entire staff on how to efficiently use the product.
They have been responsive to feature requests, and the product has definitely improved in our time using it.

Cons

I still find random bugs quite often that aren't debilitating in completing my work, usually just a nuisance that will slow productivity.

David K.

You can make your own apps!!

Reviewed on 2020/07/16

Pros

Make your own robust tables that can look to each other. Formulas allow you to do powerful data entry and formatting. Not just table but charts and calendars. And the development team is adding functionality so quickly!

Cons

There so much functionality that it can be a bit overwhelming. That said, I'm glad it's there.

Love using Coda

Reviewed on 2020/07/16

Pros

I love how flexible Coda is integrating into my existing workflow. With so many integrations available, it was quite easy to plug and play.

Cons

For some of the more advanced features there is a little bit of a learning curve which could be improved with more templates and video guides.

Stan S.

Good now, only getting better

Reviewed on 2020/07/17

I've been using Coda since the closed beta, and I've been blown away by their vision for the future and the speed with which they're implementing new functions.

Pros

Other than Slack and e-mail, Coda is the main infratstructure for our organization. The flexibility and being able to set everything up and automate exactly to our liking is fantastic

Cons

It's a fairly new product, which means that there's (almost) constantly UI changes going on. Performance could be better too, and interdoc connection is missing.

Matt D.

Very cool features, but some bumps along the way

Reviewed on 2020/07/17

I use Coda for individual notes on smaller projects (block limits prevent me using it for longer ones), giving me a single spot to find my notes from meetings, workshops and creative outputs and organise my thinking far better than I could in our G Suite setup. I also love Coda for user interviews and research, helping my to create views of an interview script for each session, but then to be able to review all the sessions side by side, have the videos embedded etc.

Most limitations come from an inability to fully adopt it in my own work enough to justify paying for an account - a lot of my personal use moved to Notion when the introduced pricing strategy killed half of my live documents, and it's just not powerful or reliable enough for me to be able to make a push for it as a team-wide tool yet. This isn't a concern for future users, but the "This doc is too big and will become read only in 14 days" approach to implementing their initially very convoluted pricing strategy was a real pain point and burned a lot of my goodwill.

I don't expect them to pivot that dramatically again (from "A doc as powerful as an app" to "A doc for teams"), but that pivot has made me very wary about recommending it to friends and colleagues in case it happens again and half their work gets frozen in a format that's very tough to extract efficiently.

Pros

Coda is, first and foremost, very impressive. It does a lot, especially through their Packs, that can make Coda docs meaningful hubs for projects whether personal or professional. If you can get the buy in from your team or company to make the swap, giving people the tools to create useful tools for themselves is fantastic. The pace of development compared to others in the space (looking at you, Notion) is also very impressive and it feels like almost every other week there's some new feature that I can actually make use of with Coda.

Cons

The main drawbacks for me are the pricing model, especially for individual use, and the maths functions.

Pricing: It's very tough to use as e.g. a personal planner with the free product, and it isn't dramatically better at those functions with the paid product than something like Notion. Particularly after Notion made the majority of personal plan free it's just very hard to recommend Coda for individuals unless you have a very specific need for some of their features, as the document size limits can feel very arbitrary, blocking out usage for a lot of hobby users.

Maths/Spreadsheet style functions: While a lot exists, and the idea of focusing on column references rather than cell references initially feels nice, in reality it only makes explaining what a formula is doing once it works easier - getting that formula to work is very tough. Documentation is pretty patchwork around maths functions and sometimes you just want to be able to jot some quick table calculations down that might not suit "Rows as distinct entries" style tables, but everything in Coda is set up to deal with continuous and repeated equations within an entry, which is very tough to deal with.

An extremely flexible and powerful project and data management tool

Reviewed on 2020/07/17

Pros

Flexibility is the number one reason we love coda on my team.

We use Coda for a number of purposes:

-bug tracking for our app
-organizing documents for projects
-indexing and searching our assets database
-contact lists
-backing up text strings for our website
-managing translation strings
-task tracking for consultants

With just a bit of training we have managed to onboard most of our team and to set up dashboards and workspaces suitable for so many different core functions.

It is amazing to be able to accomplish so much without needing to introduce a new tool to our workflow. It also integrates well with Google Docs and Dropbox, which we also use on our team.

The support team is very responsive and helpful. They really provide excellent tips and guidance, and often solve issues within minutes.

Cons

The limitation on document sizes for users with free accounts makes sense but at the time we needed to upgrade there was no way to transfer the old document to the upgraded account seamlessly. We ended up having to duplicate our document, which was really bad for continuity and very very confusing to team members less familiar with our file storage systems.