Logos Bible Software

Bible study software for pastors, scholars & organizations

Dominic A.

A nearly perfect Bible software

Reviewed on 2021/02/16

This is the most used and most cherished program on my Mac. I have been a Logos (formerly Libronix) user since 1999. I am thankful for the effort and ingenuity of the Logos team to continue to advance the exceptional quality of their product.

Pros

You can't beat having an entire digital library in the palm of your hands. The speed at which users can access resources is unparalleled and the linking up of books is genius.

Cons

Two features that would dramatically improve my Logos experience:
1. Allow users to move more quickly through opened resources. At present a user has to click on the left and right button in order to move through resources. This is slow, cumbersome and inefficient. Especially when a user has 20 or more resources opened.

2. On the mobile app allow users to set their own highlighter defaults. The current default is set to highlighter. But this user prefers solid colors as well as bold, underline and large text. This feature would be greatly improved if you allowed user to selected their own default highlight once a text is selected rather than creating a few extra steps.

Mark A.

Invaluable Bible Software

Reviewed on 2020/12/27

I find Logos Bible Software an invaluable tool for researching the Bible to write sermons and produce research papers. I love the integration with Proclaim presentation software. The breadth of features are enormous and the output is well organised and accessible.

Pros

Logos bible software is a dynamic integration of research features available for serious students of the Bible. I use the product regularly to prepare sermons and research topics. The software is vast in its scope but has good entry level points for the inexperienced user. Advanced use of the software allows complex searches using other languages. Greek and Hebrew students will find excellent resources. I love the clear presentation of results which enables me to make sense of lots of material.

Cons

Software of this complexity does not come cheaply. However, I have found the investment well rewarded over many years. Intermediate and advanced users of the software may struggle to come to grips with the nuances but there is paid and free support from an enthusiastic community. Logos themselves support the product well. Of course, logos cannot provide every book needed for study, so the software will likely need to be supplemented from a print library.

Daniel E.

Intuitive and Helpful Software for Sermon Prep

Reviewed on 2021/01/11

Pros

Logos Bible Software enables me to take my entire library with me wherever I go, whether that’s at church, home, or the local coffee shop. What’s more, Logos makes my books work more efficiently by linking them together and making them searchable. It also allows be to create layouts of books and commentaries, close that layout, and later open it again to the same place I left off. I highly recommend Logos.

Cons

The upfront cost is a bit of a hurdle, but physical book libraries are not cheap either.

Steven D.

A Great research tool

Reviewed on 2021/02/04

I have used Logos for over twelve years and have been pleased with how they keep the software up to date and are constantly expanding the resources available.

Pros

The ability to have a wide range of Bible and ministry resources available with the press of a button or or the touch of a screen is a huge time saver and makes research and reading much more flexible.

Cons

While there are a wide range of resources occasionally there are books and other resources that Logos does not have the license for which can be an inconvenience at times.

Sean C.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

My go-to resource for sermon preparation

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

It would be hard to imagine my sermon preparation without Logos. From looking up number of occurrences of words, to research in the original languages, to having dozens of commentaries at my fingertips, Logos helps me consistently present well-researched messages in a fraction of the time it would take to do manually.

Pros

Logos dramatically cuts down the amount of time I spend writing sermons each week by compiling all the resources I need in one location. Not only that, but with the fairly recent addition of the Sermon Builder component, my message slides can be automatically generated and inserted into Proclaim, Faithlife's presentation software. This saves this small-church pastor some valuable time while still delivering an excellent end result.

Cons

The biggest con with Logos is the price. However, I believe it has more than paid for itself in the last 10 years of ministry.

Response from Faithlife Corporation

Sean, thank you for this. We love seeing people take advantage of the sermon builder and its integration with Proclaim. We're working on some great features to take this even further.

Also, make sure you check out our new website builder at https://sites.faithlife.com. If you publish your sermon to https://sermons.faithlife.com, it will automatically appear on your Faithlife Site.

We're trying to remove more pain points for pastors of small churches. We hear you have a few things on your plate. =)

• Industry: Religious Institutions

An endless number of resources, literally in the palm of your hands

Reviewed on 2020/04/11

I consider myself a very investigative character, I usually don't take anyone to their word, my curiosity has pushed me to doubt and research many topics and the enlightenment and spiritual enrichment has been amazing.

Pros

I currently have over 2500 resources in my library, I will possibly not have time ever to read every single one of them, BUT through the usage of Logos 8 I am able to reference my entire library for whatever pieces of information I need, even when researching while on the go on my cellphone.

Cons

The inability to import resources to my kindle. I'd even be happy if they would come up with a device (like a Kindle) exclusive for their content.

Jon H.

Incredible Bible Software

Reviewed on 2018/12/19

I really like Logos Bible Software. I love being able to access so many commentaries in one place. I just wish I knew how to do more with it, because I know it has so much more to offer.

Pros

TONS of resources. It's got commentaries, dictionaries, lexicons, ebooks, and on and on. I mostly use it for the commentaries. You can search passages, and get all kinds of resources that pop up. You can also search topics, and get incredible info there, too. They also have a store where you can buy more resources, and they give away free books every month.

Cons

There is so much that Logos does, that what I use it for only scratches the surface of all it's capabilities. There are training videos that you can pay for to learn how to do more, but it would be nice to find some free resources to train me on how to do more. If there are free trainings, I don't know about them.

Also, it is very expensive. I was able to get an incredible discount on mine almost 10 years ago, but to buy it outright is far more than I'd be willing to spend.

Brett H.

So much material!

Reviewed on 2020/01/04

Overall, I do love Logos. I don't use it as regularly as I should, nor do I use it to it's full potential. Even with that, it is a great product that gives me the information I need to teach and preach. Kudos, Logos!

Pros

The best thing about Logos is the amount of biblical material. Regardless of what platform you purchase, there is an ample amount of resources. Many are scholarly material...many I wouldn't touch, but the higher level you purchase the greater amount of the scholarly materials you get. Helps with writing papers and preaching sermons!

Cons

Number one con is definitely the price. I understand the amount of resources compared to the price isn't even comparable; however, it is incredible too expensive for students and especially for ministry leaders. I own it, but I can't afford it. Originally got it working at a Christian book store and received a huge discount since we were selling the products. Second con is the amount of materials that no one should use in a sermon or paper.

Joshua C.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Good, if you have the money

Reviewed on 2019/08/14

Pros

I love the ease of finding a lot of information about a text quickly on one screen. I also enjoy being about to work across my desktop, tablet, and phone somewhat seamlessly.

Cons

The software itself is expensive. Also, the resources are costly; it is almost always cheaper to buy a used commentary from the internet than to buy the same commentary in Logos. Finally, the newer version is a memory hog and runs slow, even on my fairly new laptop.

Paul R.

Logos Bible Software makes my study time more productive

Reviewed on 2018/03/07

Pros

Logos is a vast software. It allows me to access my library with a few clicks and saves me hours of time in research (or to be honest, it allows me to do research that I would otherwise skip). The functionality of the Logos apps allows me to study on my mobile device even when I am on the road.

Cons

The vastness is also one of Logos' drawbacks. This program huge and there are literally 2 day seminars to teach you how to use it. I will never use anywhere close to its full functionality. It also requires a very fast PC/MAC to run well.

• Industry: Higher Education
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Only Player in its League

Reviewed on 2019/10/15

When I teach a group of people, I want to deliver content that not only speaks to the heart, but to the mind as well. This software blows me away at its ability to equip teachers with the Biblical know-how that you can't just "google".

Pros

Logos software truly is like nothing else on the market. As an infrequent speaker, I have had the privilege of using this software from time to time (borrowing from a friend). No other program on the market comes even close to comparing to Logos. I love using it to research in-depth topics and learning more about historically relevant facts, practices, individuals, and events. I am blown away at how comprehensive the program is.

Cons

The only negative thing I would ever say about this software is the cost. Plain and simple, this is an expensive investment. Nonetheless, for people who are teaching full-time, I have no doubt that it's well worth the price.

Kevin W.

Logos is feature rich and customizable, but can often be difficult to navigate.

Reviewed on 2018/02/08

Pros

I love the breadth of features. Commentaries, study guides, word studies, translations. There are so many resources within the software. I never feel like I have to go somewhere else to find more information.

Cons

It's cumbersome at times. With all of the resources present, it can be difficult to find some of them within the software, and also difficult to interact with them. If time is taken to learn all of the processes and shortcuts, it can be done.

Daniel J.

Logos is an incredible tool to help you dig deep into the Scripture!

Reviewed on 2018/02/15

Pros

I like pretty much everything about this software! It makes studying and sermon preperation so much easier and cuts down on time as well. Its amazing to have thousands of incredible resources in digital form to search with the click of a button.

Cons

The only negative of the software is that some of the features are more difficult to use. There is a fairly high learning curve for some of the deeper methods of research.

Jed L.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

The best but not a lot of competition out there!

Reviewed on 2019/08/13

Pros

I mean there really isn't a better software for researching for papers or preaching. IF you need to do an exhaustive hermeneutical word study on Paul's 1st letter to the church at Corinth and why he said what he said to women in that community this is your software! IT is great and works great, however, there are times like microsoft products where it feels like you need to be a programmer to find how to do something like searching for a function like scriptures that use the same phrases or words is pretty hard to find.

Cons

Sometimes the ease of use is tested like a lot of programmers who use microsoft language this is clunky and a little difficult to navigate when you get down to the granular level!

Mark T.

The Best Biblical Study Software

Reviewed on 2020/02/27

I use Logos Bible Software weekly to prepare sermons and lectures. It allows me to search across multiple resources in both English and Biblical languages. It saves me hours of research each week!

Pros

Logos has numerous features and make an in-depth study of the Bible a fun and powerful experience for pastors, academics, and Bible students alike. They offer a bunch of free resources and most germane resources can be found in their digital library.

Cons

Some features have a steep learning curve (especially related to Biblical languages) but the online tutorials help minimize the difficulty. Once you master this software you'll see just how powerful it is.

Excellent resource for those who write/compile church study tools

Reviewed on 2019/08/26

Overall, this is an awesome product. Highly recommend to pastors, Bible study leaders, as well as professors.

Pros

Use weekly ...I do a lot of Biblical research for my church, as I write Bible studies for one of our pastors. this software has helped me immensely when it comes to cross referencing, finding concordances. expository or just certain quotes that illustrate my points well. I purchased this initially as a trial. We loved it, so I ended up purchasing for our church.

Cons

I honestly don't have any bad reviews for this. It is adequately meeting all of our needs thus far.

John T.

As a Pastor, Logos has been an asset in my ministry to effectively preach every week.

Reviewed on 2018/08/01

The main benefit I get from this software is knowledge into scripture that I could not gain in other ways, forms, or mediums. I enjoy this program!

Pros

When I want to get a meaning of a specific word in the Bible, I have used Logos a lot. I am not done with COSS yet, and this program gets me ahead of the game with interpretation of scripture. I love using Logos!

Cons

Like with Evernote, I do not see a lot of weaknesses with this program at all. I know local pastors and elders in our Conference who use this program all the time.

Even S.

Logos has been the best tool for studying the bible I have used

Reviewed on 2018/01/16

If you are really into studying the bible, Logos is probably the best software tool at the moment. You get bible translations, maps, images, and a lot of historical data.

Pros

My favorite feature is the Strong's concordance implementation, which allow me to study word by word and get the Hebrew and Greek original meaning which can give a whole new perspective to the verses.

Cons

I really cannot find a negative side for the software, I could say it is expensive but I guess its price it is somewhat reasonable for all that it offers

Jamaal D.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

I use this product to keep up with my religious beliefs.

Reviewed on 2017/10/05

Pros

Can use it anywhere and can use it to keep track of what you want to accomplish religious goals. Prayer list and devotionals.

Drake D.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

All around great program

Reviewed on 2018/07/26

Pros

If you are looking for a program that will make study and message prep that much easier and save you hours of time, Logos is for you! Loads of features, easy to use, and amazing resources and

Cons

Only real con is the price. Though I believe it is worth the cost it can definitely be a big pill to swallow. If you won't use this weekly or even monthly, it may not be worth it. As one that doesn't preach on a weekly basis, I didn't fully buy in but only because I couldn't justify the cost. If you do preach or study on a regular basis, this is the software you will want!

Alexis N.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Great Bible Study Software

Reviewed on 2019/12/07

Logos is the Cadillac of bible study software. It has amazing built-in tools, a vast free library, and a great store to add more books to your library.

Pros

Logos is the best bible study software available. You can upload or purchase your digital library and study everything you need from this program.

Cons

Logos can be a space and resource hog on your computer. Even after indexing, this software can require large amounts of ram and hard drive space to function well.

Paul N.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

The best Bible software - period!

Reviewed on 2018/10/11

Pros

What's not to love about Logos? This program does it all. Start building your digital library and using amazing sources to help you study the bible. This was a required programming for my education that have continued to use well into my ministry.

Cons

The upfront price can be difficult for some but its still cheaper than buying actual books. There are lots of tiers which helps as well. A small learning curve on figuring out how to navigate the software.

Response from Faithlife Corporation

Paul, Thanks a lot for your kind words. We appreciate it.

We encourage people deciding about Logos to call in and chat with our customer service team. It IS an investment, but our team will work hard to find the best combination of software features and library resources to best fit their individual needs.

Tori C.

Love Logos!

Reviewed on 2018/04/28

This is a great resource for studying the Bible!

Pros

If you are in ministry and/or spend a lot time teaching the Bible, Logos will be a great tool for you. There isn't a lot that it CAN'T do. There are countless resources available through Logos. It really helps you to go deep in your study without ever leaving your office/home.

Cons

The downfall of Logos being able to do everything is that it runs so slow. Not just the program, but it will cause your computer to run slow as well. It's also not user friendly. I am constantly looking up how to find something or do something on Logos. It can be very complicated unfortunately.

Maya L.

Logos is the best!

Reviewed on 2019/04/11

Pros

Logos is my favorite Bible software that I have used... and I have tried a lot of them. My favorite things is the ease of getting to the different chapter and verse.

Cons

No cons that I can think of. I use Logos all the time and I love it!

Baldur E.

WOW

Reviewed on 2017/12/14

Pros

This product makes me look like a genius. I look at this as my go to thing before sermons! I like using it alot

Cons

It can be a bit confusing to learn all the features but they give you acsess to amazing videos that help