Logos Bible Software

Bible study software for pastors, scholars & organizations

4,8
4,3
4,7
4,1
4,6
Peter K.

Can't Live Without It

Reviewed on 2020/04/22

I am thoroughly impressed by Faithlife (the corporation behind the production of Logos). I use Logos every day, and can't imagine a day without it.

Pros

I use Logos every single day, and I have no regrets. I have almost completely migrated my theological library from physical books to Logos. It is unbelievable how useful it is to be able to search through my library when studying a passage of Scripture, as everything is cross-linked. What used to take hours in study or research, I can now do with Logos in minutes or even seconds. This gets me farther than before, faster and more effectively than ever.

Cons

Logos has a drastic learning curve. The software is not very intuitive but requires lots of patience and instruction. I have found that curve worth plodding, however. The customer service is fabulous in helping people get up to speed with the system.

Buck D.

The Swiss Army Knife of Bible Study

Reviewed on 2020/09/24

I've used a lot of Bible software over the years. Many of them have been very well done. But Logos is more powerful and feature rich than others. It seems very mature and polished having a professional feel to it. For me it takes my Bible study to the next level. It provides quick cross references, images, Greek and Hebrew resources including audible pronunciations, maps, and much more.

Pros

Logos Bible Software is simple enough to be used by anyone yet has enough power for the scholar or theologian. There are quite a few different packages which can help get you started for less money and still have some solid features. However, if you can afford it a more expensive package comes with an amazing amount of resources.

One of my favorite features is how you can hover over words and instantly get all kinds of information in an instant. Also, the Reading Plans can really help keep you on track and there are many to chose from. You can have multiple panels open and then link them together so that as you scroll through the Bible and other resources they all stay synchronized.

Hover over any Bible reference and it displays a preview. Click on it and it takes you to that passage in your preferred Bible.

Another great feature is that all your data, notes, highlights and documents are kept in sync and available if you go to another computer or Logos on a mobile device.

Cons

Honestly, the downside would be the price. I understand why it can be expensive with all the resources and features you get but it makes it hard for the average person to purchase. Lately they have provided some good options though, whether it's Faithlife Connect or through your church using Faithlife Equip.

Eric M.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Powerful tool

Used Monthly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/10/31

Overall - it has been really great. The more I use it the more familiar I have become with the product.

Pros

It has a ton of resources that can be added and updated to the base package. The ability to type in a passage of scripture or even a word and all your resources are then brought up in an organized panel is awesome. No need to open different resources.

Cons

It seems a little cumbersome to use in the beginning but have some helpful tutorials. I think it can be a little overwhelming trying to choose which software package best meets your needs.

Industry: Civil Engineering
Company size: Self Employed

Top Class Software by any measure and a joy to use

Reviewed on 2020/11/13

I have been using Logos for over 15 years and have found that the software goes from strength to strength. From simple reading on the better than Kindle e-reading system to complex academic research, Logos knows it's craft, designs beautifully and effectively, and gives more than it takes.

Pros

The company works hard to innovate new ways of studying the Bible, highlighting insights, tagging 1000s of books with extensive metadata, creating unique reports from research, and streamling research.

Cons

The bundling of tools, databases, and features can sometimes mean I miss out on something useful because I just can't justify paying for the bigger bundle for one or two functions.

Industry: Religious Institutions

An endless number of resources, literally in the palm of your hands

Reviewed on 2020/04/11

I consider myself a very investigative character, I usually don't take anyone to their word, my curiosity has pushed me to doubt and research many topics and the enlightenment and spiritual enrichment has been amazing.

Pros

I currently have over 2500 resources in my library, I will possibly not have time ever to read every single one of them, BUT through the usage of Logos 8 I am able to reference my entire library for whatever pieces of information I need, even when researching while on the go on my cellphone.

Cons

The inability to import resources to my kindle. I'd even be happy if they would come up with a device (like a Kindle) exclusive for their content.

Dave G.

Quality Bible Study Software

Reviewed on 2020/07/11

It allows Bible study from anywhere without needing access to a seminary library or having multiple bookshelves in my home for my commentaries.

Pros

I purchased a package over 8 years ago and I love that I still have access to the resources I purchased along with a few more I have bought along the way as Logos has provided free engine upgrades.

Cons

The software could be very expensive if you were to upgrade every time a new version was introduced. They certainly add more resources, but very few that I would regularly use.

Phil R.
Company size: Self Employed

Absolute Best Bible Software Available!

Reviewed on 2020/02/06

I love every single aspect of Logos! I use it on my phone and my desktop!

Pros

Where do I start??? I use Logos every day, both for my use at and during church; and for my private use when during devotions and talking with other people. I expanded my desk to include two wide screen monitors just for Logos and all the resources it contains!

Cons

It has to be the price... some pastors could certainly use it but the expense is hard to pay with small parishes. I've not upgraded to newer and better versions due to the pricing.

Steven D.
Industry: Religious Institutions

A game changer for Bible study and sermon prep

Reviewed on 2020/02/18

I use Logos for bible study and sermon preparation especially when I am away from my study.

Pros

It gives me quick and portable access to a vast library of theological and biblical resources, which makes it far easier to prepare sermons and Bible studies when on the go.

Cons

With a library my size, as I am always adding new resource, I am either forced to frequently upgrade the computer I use or deal with long loading times.

Mark T.

The Best Biblical Study Software

Reviewed on 2020/02/27

I use Logos Bible Software weekly to prepare sermons and lectures. It allows me to search across multiple resources in both English and Biblical languages. It saves me hours of research each week!

Pros

Logos has numerous features and make an in-depth study of the Bible a fun and powerful experience for pastors, academics, and Bible students alike. They offer a bunch of free resources and most germane resources can be found in their digital library.

Cons

Some features have a steep learning curve (especially related to Biblical languages) but the online tutorials help minimize the difficulty. Once you master this software you'll see just how powerful it is.

Paul F.

Logos Bible Software

Reviewed on 2020/09/22

Overall, I love Logos. It is easy to use, easy to change the window panes based on my preference. It also is nice to be able to click inside the resource to be able to go to more in-depth resources and books.

Pros

I love this software! It brings so many books and resources to my fingertips without having to have the physical books. When studying away from my office, I have so many resources available. I like how the new features make it easier to search all my books with ease.

Cons

I don't like how long it takes to upload new books to my library. But with the newer versions, the wait time has gone down.

Austin H.

Massive library program that does more than previous giants would have thought possible.

Reviewed on 2018/04/06

Pros

Logos is really incredible. It places thousands of resources at your fingertips and has them all cross-referenced and indexed. I don't know of another program that has this level of intertextuality built into the program. You can follow links and references to the works they were citing. You can build searches on top of searches. This is a one-stop-shop library program and powerful language tool all in one.

They are constantly upgrading and adding features to keep Logos cutting edge. Their language tools are rapidly catching up to their competitors and there are more things possible that I am even aware of. I probably only know how to use about 15% of this software, but the benefits it brings are astronomical.

I love that they are also expanding into the classics field with Not and other resources. I hope their language tools in Latin will improve to match what they have in Greek.

Cons

Logos is not cheap. At all. All of their resources cost significantly more than what they would cost in print. Add in the fact that I don't like reading on a screen, and I retain information far better when I can deal with the geography of a book, and that makes it a losing proposition. Their bundles inflate book numbers with filler junk that you will never use, and would never want. You will be oversold resources and features that you will never use.

Sean C.
Company size: Self Employed

My go-to resource for sermon preparation

Reviewed on 2018/10/10

It would be hard to imagine my sermon preparation without Logos. From looking up number of occurrences of words, to research in the original languages, to having dozens of commentaries at my fingertips, Logos helps me consistently present well-researched messages in a fraction of the time it would take to do manually.

Pros

Logos dramatically cuts down the amount of time I spend writing sermons each week by compiling all the resources I need in one location. Not only that, but with the fairly recent addition of the Sermon Builder component, my message slides can be automatically generated and inserted into Proclaim, Faithlife's presentation software. This saves this small-church pastor some valuable time while still delivering an excellent end result.

Cons

The biggest con with Logos is the price. However, I believe it has more than paid for itself in the last 10 years of ministry.

Response from Faithlife Corporation

Sean, thank you for this. We love seeing people take advantage of the sermon builder and its integration with Proclaim. We're working on some great features to take this even further.

Also, make sure you check out our new website builder at https://sites.faithlife.com. If you publish your sermon to https://sermons.faithlife.com, it will automatically appear on your Faithlife Site.

We're trying to remove more pain points for pastors of small churches. We hear you have a few things on your plate. =)

Gregory W.

Best Bible Software Package

Reviewed on 2018/10/09

Logos is great for developing sermons and lesson plans!

Pros

This review is for Logos Bible Software, NOT for Proclaim

Logos simply has the largest library available for the student. The number of tools that are available are (honestly) overwhelming, but the experienced user can master these tools quickly. It is possible to easily get lost in the weeds with Logos because the weeds are so easily gotten to. However, sometimes chasing a rabbit down its hole is worth it!

Cons

It can easily get very expensive. I would recommend buying sets you want or only investing in a library if just about everything it contains is something you want to add to your library. It may be more expensive to purchase individual books, but you won't get hundreds of resources you don't want/need.

Response from Faithlife Corporation

Gregory, thank you for this review. We appreciate it. You're correct. Purchasing libraries is definitely more cost effective than the individual titles.

If you're ever considering a larger purchase, don't hesitate to call in to our team. We're happy to help crunch the numbers and recommend the most cost-effective way to add the resources you're looking at to your library.

Igor P.

Good

Reviewed on 2018/06/26

Pros

I like the availability and practicality of the material. There are many valuable resources available there. Also, they are always offering new content and it is perceptive that they want to cover many books that are important in the field of biblical studies and theology. There is also a discount program for students, which has been helpful to get essential sources for a less high price.

Cons

More advanced research is still tricky. By contrast, there are many features that are possible to achieve with Bible Works that are not possible in Logos. For example, Logos is not helpful when I want to research specific lemmas and common phrases within the Hebrew Bible. It is still very dependent on traditional, though important, lexicons and theological dictionaries. It is not versatile and dynamic, though. In that case, the advanced reader needs to combine logos with Bible Works. Both are, however, very expensive.

Chris E.

Love the amazing array of features and the consolidation of my library into one place.

Reviewed on 2017/11/07

Financially, buying logos was challenging, but the reward was a great variety of tools. Don't buy beyond what you will use, however. Lot's of things look great, but you'll only ever use a fraction of it.

Pros

Love the fact that you can search across all resources and instantly pull those resources up in the links - basically like wikipedia. Saves so much time in searching out important resources. The portability of a library is also great. Being able to pick up where you left off on one device is also super useful. The extensive tools for studying the original languages are also incredibly useful - even if it takes a few hours to learn them all.

Cons

Slows down your computer a lot if it isn't powerful enough. Some things are not as intuitive as could be hoped, but fortunately there are really good Youtube channels to explain how to use it. The mobile app doesn't have/allow for the reading out loud option.

John M.
Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Logos--expensive, complex, but totally worth it

Reviewed on 2018/12/07

I first started using this as a bible translator and was provided it by my organization. Unfortunately, my old computer was very slow and logos caused the computer to run so slow I was unable to use it. However, with my new computer it works great! I use it regularly in my own Bible study and in my work.

Pros

I keep finding more and more things on there I didn't know where there! I found an entire course (with the workbook, grammar, vocabulary, and video lectures) by Mounce on Greek that i was planning to spend $150 for! I love the resources for bible translators.

Cons

It is kind of hard to figure out. The tutorials are good, but also very long, many, and annoyingly slow. Also, it is very good technology so it runs super slow on old computers. I feel like since it's mainly text-based things, it should find a way to have less things running at once. Also, for many Bible Translators who work in areas with bad internet, the fact that it constantly updates itself is annoying and expensive.

Derek I.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

I have been a Logos user since 2005 and purchased while in seminary

Reviewed on 2018/10/03

It is one of my favorite bible tools for discipleship evangelism and with the latest editions of Jeff Vanderstelt materials, it went over the top!!! Highly recommend.

Pros

I read a book by Randy Alcorn called Money, Eternity, and Possessions about how Christians hoard books and do not get them back into circulation, and I made a decision to build an electronic library instead of the libraries I grew up with as a kid. As a biblical counselor and a passion for discipleship evangelism, this allows me to have reproducible tools at my finger tips and the ability to create quality lessons and materials with hours of work and paying retail.

Cons

Sometimes the pre-pubs can hit without notice otherwise great product.

Response from Faithlife Corporation

Derek, thank you for the review! We'll pass your note about the pre-pubs on to the team.

David S.
Industry: Printing

Immensely Powerful Study Tools And More

Reviewed on 2018/08/17

Pros

Logos opens up a huge world of exploration when it comes to studying scripture, and goes even further with complex highlighting and notation features, sermon editor and prep guides, and more. There is really nothing else like it, and I feel lucky to live in an era where this depth of study is possible at the tips of my fingers. People even just a few short decades ago could only dream of being able to access so much information in such dynamic and "smart" ways made possible by modern technology.

Cons

The biggest drawback is price. It is extremely expensive when you start looking at larger resource packages, and just to unlock all the features of the software. To make matters worse, the amount of different pricing tires and resource packages is dizzying. I understand they want to be flexible for different denominations and offer multiple price points of entry for different budgets, but deciding on a package is quite an undertaking that can take hours to sort out if you are at all worried about spending less than $10,000.

Oladayo O.

It is a simple and complete mobile library.

Reviewed on 2018/02/06

This product has made me to be more observant of things the more. Especially, all the daily applications that are essential for self development and office organization.

Pros

The way the software developer packaged so many features together on a platform is amazing.
In same manner, the quick search mode is linguistically loaded for beginners and advanced users.
Coupled with suggestions for quick word references is another icing on the cake.
The tracking percentages of respective books is also a side attraction.

Cons

Anyway, there are some features that are needed to be worked upon.
1. If the interactive surface is simplified the more.
2. A program that will be relaunched on the same platform whereby you have logged off is better for continuity in study.

Jon H.

Incredible Bible Software

Reviewed on 2018/12/19

I really like Logos Bible Software. I love being able to access so many commentaries in one place. I just wish I knew how to do more with it, because I know it has so much more to offer.

Pros

TONS of resources. It's got commentaries, dictionaries, lexicons, ebooks, and on and on. I mostly use it for the commentaries. You can search passages, and get all kinds of resources that pop up. You can also search topics, and get incredible info there, too. They also have a store where you can buy more resources, and they give away free books every month.

Cons

There is so much that Logos does, that what I use it for only scratches the surface of all it's capabilities. There are training videos that you can pay for to learn how to do more, but it would be nice to find some free resources to train me on how to do more. If there are free trainings, I don't know about them.

Also, it is very expensive. I was able to get an incredible discount on mine almost 10 years ago, but to buy it outright is far more than I'd be willing to spend.

Industry: Religious Institutions

Incredibly powerful Bible study tools!

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

Really fantastic. I wish that they would make software like this more available to more people by making it less expensive. In my opinion it's not right to profit to this extent when providing people the tools they need to study the Bible, but I understand they also have to cover their R&D costs.

Pros

It is PACKED with features. So many that you probably won't use 1/2 of them, but that's not a bad thing. It can hardly be overstated how many great features this software has to assist in big ways with Bible study.

Cons

The plethora of features are a bit daunting to be honest. There are features I haven't even uncovered yet, because there's so much this software can do and it's not always super easy to figure out how to use the features. But to be fair, that's on me to learn. Most of the features I've used so far really are very useful.
The software does need a pretty new/fast computer to make it easily useable, otherwise it seems to run pretty slow.
Oh yah, and it's crazy expensive!

Company size: Self Employed

An investment, but definitely worth it.

Reviewed on 2019/04/12

I have been using Logos for 15 years, and it keeps getting better. The library I have available to me enables me to learn God's Word and teach it better than I could have done without it.

Although it is quite an investment, it has been worth it for me. Would highly recommend it!

My only caution would be to wait until after seminary to purchase it. I found myself relying too heavily on its tools while learning the original languages, so I didn't learn them as well as I should have. Would recommend waiting until you have a good handle on the languages before you purchase it.

Pros

Gives me access to more resources than I could ever use, dramatically enriching my Bible study while saving tremendous time.

Cons

It is expensive to purchase and keep upgraded.

Brett H.

So much material!

Reviewed on 2020/01/04

Overall, I do love Logos. I don't use it as regularly as I should, nor do I use it to it's full potential. Even with that, it is a great product that gives me the information I need to teach and preach. Kudos, Logos!

Pros

The best thing about Logos is the amount of biblical material. Regardless of what platform you purchase, there is an ample amount of resources. Many are scholarly material...many I wouldn't touch, but the higher level you purchase the greater amount of the scholarly materials you get. Helps with writing papers and preaching sermons!

Cons

Number one con is definitely the price. I understand the amount of resources compared to the price isn't even comparable; however, it is incredible too expensive for students and especially for ministry leaders. I own it, but I can't afford it. Originally got it working at a Christian book store and received a huge discount since we were selling the products. Second con is the amount of materials that no one should use in a sermon or paper.

Cody C.

Logos has changed the way I read & study God's word. I'm in Bible College & having Logos is a must!

Reviewed on 2018/05/14

Pros

Where to start? The amount of resources at the top of your finger and all in one place? The books, commentaries, and other resources that come with the base package is worth much more than what you pay. They have almost every book you would purchase on Amazon and then you can have those tools open with multiple translations of Bibles, and whatever commentaries you want to use. I write sermons using Logos and they have tools that help with that as well!

Cons

I wish the interface was a bit more user friendly, but I have been told by many they really like it, so it might just be me.

Blair P.
Industry: Religious Institutions

Exactly what a pastor needs

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/10/23

I have enjoyed Logos significantly and would highly recommend it to any pastor or leader looking for a study resource.

Pros

Logos is deep and rich with valuable insight and information to help any pastor better prepare for sermons, bible studies and small groups. The search feature is very good and creates a lot of options for reading and research. There is plenty of resources here that everyday pastors' will find incredibly useful.

This software saves time by having all the information in one spot and makes having a large library unnecessary. The phone app is pretty good as well, although I don't find I use it much.

Cons

It's a bit expensive, which will limit some from being able to access of the great features. That being said, it's worth the price if you're able to afford it.

The layout is a bit clunky sometimes with several windows on one screen and I find that difficult to navigate. It could be that I use a 13" laptop but I suspect it would be the same on a larger screen. I can't say I have a different idea of how it should work so this criticism is not significant.