Lumen5

AI-based video creating, editing and marketing platform

• Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

The Fastest Video App to Convert Blog Posts to Videos

Reviewed on 2021/03/06

I was happy with the quality of videos and the service the Lumen5 team provided.

Pros

I liked how easy it is to convert a blog post into a video. With just a click, a like of text is added to editor, which means it's a lot quicker to get videos done.

Cons

Lumen5 had offered a 12-month free account, during which I created over 1500 videos. I stopped using it because I did not want to pay the monthly subscription after the 12 months were up. I switched to another app that offered a lifetime deal.

Jennifer S.

Fun and Easy!

Reviewed on 2018/12/24

I love that it keeps emailing me with suggestions and new ideas to present my messages/blog content. I honestly have forgotten in between videos that I even have access to this software...and then I get an email with my own content in a video that Lumen5 created and it jazzes me up to want to edit it and create my own video and share my content in a new way. It's like an accountability coach that sends me a reminder every time I post a new blog. I love that!

Pros

First of all, I love that it gave me the idea to make videos out of my blogs! I love that it keeps me up to date on that idea by sending me sample videos that it created for me automatically. I have not loved the automatic ones, but it gives me the nudge I need to be able to create what I prefer and then share a pretty cool product that I made in a very short period of time.

Cons

I don't like the videos it creates for me so far. I don't think the automatic program has any idea how to handle my perspective/approach - the automatic videos are very basic.

Nevlynn J.

Very Easy to Use Tool for Creating Great Social Media Videos

Reviewed on 2017/11/15

Makes my messages stand out against the plain text versions of my competitors.

Pros

It is super easy to create social media videos using plain text or blog content. I use it to promote events and interesting new product features to share on our social media channels. I have been using the free version for a while and you miss no functionalities whatsoever, the only thing is the video quality is lower than if you have a paid account which is fine for our business. Am considering an upgrade.

Cons

No big dislikes but it would be great if you could also upload your own music files, currently you can only use the music they have in their own database which is free to use and probably the reason why.

Software Review

Reviewed on 2019/01/07

Been able to create short videos in under half an hour for bloggers and small businesses. Outstanding live action visual and stock music.

Pros

Easy to use. Access from all devices available. Have not experieneced any glitvhes.

Cons

The software on video play back/preview is a little delayed. However unsure if that is also affected by my wifi signal.

Depp L.
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

saves time while creating video

Reviewed on 2018/04/30

Time saving and easy to manage

Pros

I had to spend hours on creating video content for my business. Lumen5 has optimized my time, now I'm able to create videos from posts in 5 minutes. I also have access to a wide range oh high quality images

Cons

The subscription is pricey. It will improve if templates and more text style options are added. Also, Video recording should be supported too.

Response from Lumen5

Hi Leonard,

Thanks for the review! We're so glad it's saving you time. Just out of curiosity, how much time on average has it saved you per video?

Thanks!

Miguel P.

An easy way to transform your posts into videos

Reviewed on 2018/04/08

An easy way to transform your posts into videos

Pros

- you can make a video from a post in 2 minutes: just paste the link, choose the titles, put some images/videos, and its done!
- you have unlimited videos per month
- you have access to premium stock images and videos to put in your videos
- you can export in 720p or 1080p (depends on your plan)

Cons

- you do not have pre-existent templates
- its expensive for what it does: 99/per month in the premium plan

Mary d. B.
  • Industry: Publishing

Lumen5 Rocks It!

Reviewed on 2018/12/18

Pros

Lumen was the first online video production site that made me wonder why I did things manually for so long. Easy to use, extensive stock images and video clips, audio and the ability to create something that looks professional.

Cons

The blog post video creation. Not something I would use but it may come in useful for other people.

Suzanne S.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Too much editing required

Reviewed on 2019/10/17

It wasn't a good fit for me. I'm glad I had a year to try it without paying. I wouldn't have been happy paying for what I got.

Pros

I got a year's use of their higher tier for free. That's really about all I can say in terms of pros.

Cons

The slides weren't broken up in a way that made sense. The photos and videos the program chose to accompany the text didn't relate to the text, and very often there were limited resources available to use with the text for the videos. There was just not enough relevance and the videos took too much time to edit that it wasn't workable for me.

• Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Easy Way to Make Captioned Videos Fast

Reviewed on 2019/04/01

Overall, I like Lumen5 because it makes repurposing my blog content into video an easier and quick process. It also helps me make visually appealing videos quicker.

Pros

You can upload a link to an article and lumen5 will automatically create a video with images and captions. This makes the video creation process quicker and easier.

Cons

Sometimes the automated captions do not actually make sense and you will have to go into the video and re-edit.

Steve W.

Overall...the best video generator I've used

Reviewed on 2018/07/03

Pros

The software is so easy to use...you can either paste in your story or add a link to a blog post or webpage and it will auto generate for you. Based on keywords in your text, the software will add in free to use images to speed up the process but you can add in your own images to cover this.

Cons

Uploading your own images is not as intuitive as it could be and requires a number of clicks more than it should. This is a very minor quibble and doesn't hurt any of the process, it's just very noticeable in a software that is about speed as well as quality.

Richard M.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Great video software

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

Happy with this product overall and use whenever I have a need.

Pros

I use this to create social media videos to advertise jobs I am recruiting for and it is one of the best I have tried tend to use it on the free license version as do not need the upgrade at the moment

Cons

little clunky to use when you use a document to create content but with a little time, it comes right.

• Industry: Photography

Simple tool for social videos

Reviewed on 2018/09/07

Using it to create social videos to promote blog posts.

Pros

This is very simple to use, so there's not much to it. I was able to produce about 10 social videos in less than 40 minutes, and it was the first time I had tried using the software so no major pitfalls there. I like the fact that you can select different kinds of transitions and templates. There's also an option to add music to your video, so that's nice as well.

Cons

For the lifetime plan that I got through Appsumo, I was not able to produce HD videos and the SD quality pixelated some of my images. I also would have liked to be able to upload custom fonts, which is an option, but you have to pay for it separately. The transitions are not as easy to edit and when the tool picked up the images by itself from a blog post, it captured some photos that had nothing to do with it. Other than this, it does what it should!

Alexa Z.

Love Video Making With This App

Reviewed on 2019/04/20

Very generous platform and so easy to use! I highly recommend Lumen5!!

Pros

I love creating videos with Lumen5. So excited to see all the new HD videos to add as well! It makes it so simple to create! Love it!

Cons

It can be difficult to add pages where you want them to be FROM the text you import. The typically are added to the bottom of the video.

Lumen 5 is awesome

Reviewed on 2019/05/09

I love using Lumen 5 to create quick videos

Pros

Fast and easy software to create quick videos with text.

Cons

You must pay to upgrade for additional features and customizations.

Grade A for Lumen

Reviewed on 2019/03/27

Pros

Lumen5 is a dream when it comes to make a video to support your article or blog post. The ease of use, the pre-set options, the accompanying photos and music all make this a top notch product. The free version has almost everything.

Cons

I wish there was a tier for paying. The price tag for a paid account cost more than I make on the videos now and I'd love for tier pricing or per video pricing. Also the inability to do voice overs takes from this software.

Kerushan G.

Best software for rapid video making

Reviewed on 2018/08/04

I needed something that could give our business a quick and efficient production line when it comes to creating video content for clients. This is clearly the best.

Pros

The workflow provides the BEST solution for rapidly producing video content. The speed at which content is produced makes this a clear winner. Also, this software also solves the problem of attribution.

Cons

The range of available stock video footage and music themes could be better.

• Industry: Higher Education
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Easy to use to create videos

Reviewed on 2019/04/24

Pros

Makes creating "social videos" quick and easy. Just import text or point to a URL and it's "ai" will pull out excerpts and stock video to use. You can easily edit the video and the text with limited formatting options. Overall, for a basic social video, it's quick and easy to do.

Cons

The free account requires you to put in a large outro credit to Lumen5. The interface is a bit buggy at times, but not a deal breaker. Depending on the length and complexity of the video, it does take a while to process and create the video.

Manuel C.
  • Industry: Photography

Improve your SEO with Blog videos

Reviewed on 2018/11/30

Pros

If you have a blog, you should know that video is amazing and will help you boost your SEO. You can do it now by using the same content you already have. Just need the URL of an article and Lumen5 will take care of the rest.

Cons

The software can be pricey, but over time will become a really good investment.

Heather A.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Perfect for anyone just getting started with video

Reviewed on 2018/12/10

Pros

it's easy to use and you can upload a blog post and have it automatically create a video which is a great time saver

Cons

the fact that their branding is at the end of each video but that's only fair as i only use the free version

Achir S.

Best Video creation tool based on AI features

Reviewed on 2020/04/04

Overall Lumen5 is an awesome tool for growth hackers and marketer like me who spend their time in creating video ads. The super impressed by the functionality of this tool. With the help of this tool I save most of my time, I just have to make minimal adjustments whenever I create video for our campaign.

Pros

The best part about this tool is that it allows you to create your blog post into a video, You don't have to write the blog post again it just simple copy pasting the URL and you are good to go. There are thousands of images and video clips available which you can use while editing, adding any new slide or section to the video. The tool is based on AI which makes it easy to use. The interface is very user friendly which makes the customization part easy even for a non-technical persons.

Cons

The least liking factor about this tool is that when you convert the blog post into a video you cannot change the content in the blog, it only fetch the result in the URL or the content you have published. Recently I created a video by converting my blog post but sometimes as blogger we made some typing or grammar mistakes I was unable to change the script in the blog which I think needs improvement. Another thing which I dislike is sometimes it takes a lot of time in rendering the video.

Syed R.

Lumen5 –‘is my favourite tool to create content and innovative design for social media’

Reviewed on 2020/09/24

My overall experience with Lumen5 is very good. As I mentioned, This tool made mt job easy and my clients are happy. Anyone can be very creative with this tool because they have a lot of options to choose and create the design and this is really amazing.

Pros

I absolutely like the fact that Lumen5 is packed with a lot of important features such as- collaboration, audio tools, brand overlay, social sharing, and more. I can create different types of videos for my client. This tool allows you to produce highly-engaging content. I would say Lumen5 is a great source to drive the marketing team to progress. Because the resources of this tool are very useful and easy to utilize for increasing business engagement. I am using this tool for a long time to create a dynamic project for my clients and they are very happy. I think using Lumen5 is time-saving because you can finish your task quickly as their stock full of the fundamentals you need.

Cons

The costs of Lumen5 is not affordable for all. I think they should waive the price up to a certain amount. I don’t like the fact that sometimes it takes time in rendering the final video.

Viral videos aren't just about being funny. They're about identity creation.

Reviewed on 2018/12/14

Lumen 5 is a great little tool to make quick videos to add to our blog posts or use as a post promotion on a variety of social media platforms.This is SO cool and informative

Pros

October 4, 2017 at 4:16 pm
I have been wanting to find an easy program or app to create short videos but many seem complicated for me, but Lumen5 Surprised me.A skill that helped me interpret information in a rational way and manage information for a given time Duration. load of a lot of feature and components are available. plus This software allows to create short videos from the website / Blog links, by entering the website/Blog URL post and utilizing their special Features to create a script for our video.
Features includes,
1.Text positioning
2.Keyword highlighting
3.Easily access millions of photos available at your finger tips.
4.Choose from thousands of free audio files and background music tracks
5.Upload your own logo and display
6.Font choices
7.Video resolution
8.Animation etc...

Can make the entire video creation process simple and intuitive

Cons

It Requires Excellent Connection When creating videos. Video results is great if you have a great connection too..

Connor M.

Amazing video creator and editor that allows you to upload a blog post for automatic video...

Reviewed on 2018/06/09

Easily created dozens of videos for our marketing purposes. This is something I would not have thought one person would have been able to do but I was able to churn out videos without having a team to help.

Pros

We never purchased this because the free version was absolutely amazing. I was surprised there was so much functionality in the base version. The one thing the free version didn't have that I would have paid for is HD video quality but it was still good enough for our purposes. The integrated stock photos, video backgrounds, and background music is fantastic and was something I used extensively in our marketing.

Cons

It's amazing, but the one thing I wish existed that I brought up to their team is if you duplicate a previously made video, you can't change the blog post associated with it in their interface that allows you to easily copy and paste text from the blog post that the video is intended for. This is such a small complaint for an amazing free product.

Jessica F.
  • Industry: Public Relations & Communications

Perfect for social videos!

Reviewed on 2019/01/08

Overall, great experience!

Pros

The software is very user-friendly and makes professional social videos, sized for different platforms. The video can be customized with your campaign logo and the highlight can be set to a specific color using the hex code from design files.

Cons

The two major cons: 1) It takes forever to render the video once created. 2) The highlight can only be placed on one section of the text, not in two different sections. That makes picking what to highlight a little tricky and it's not always exactly what you want.

Linda R.
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

A valuable video tool for teams of any size

Reviewed on 2020/02/18

This is a great tool! I suggest that anyone - soloprenuers, freelancers, larger teams - try this at least once because you'll quickly see that it's a great addition to your toolkit. We have a full-time video team and we still use this on a regular basis.

Pros

It is so easy to use, and it is versatile. Great selection of stock footage, super easy to preview and edit, and output quality is high. All around, it's a great way for small teams to quickly create videos but it still scales up for larger teams who can afford to upgrade.

Cons

Exporting sometimes takes an extremely long time, and you never know when that will happen. It's a little hard if you're up against a deadline and that particular glitch occurs.