SQL Diagnostic Manager

Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

SQL Diagnostic Manager

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/12/17

Pros

Using SQL Diagnostic Manager, reducing business impact, the ideal tool for monitoring the physical and virtual database, proactive notification brings you health and performance issues on the device you use, in my desktop case.

Cons

Only software adjustment for start-up, if you need support, can have a headache.

John F.
Industry: Food & Beverages
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Fantastic SQL Insights

Reviewed on 2019/12/11

Overall, this is an excellent product and my experience with it has been very positive. The product offers real-time, meaningful insights into how your SQL instances are performing and behaving. These insights are essential in any enterprise and critical if you want to respond in a timely manner to emerging problems. Being able to go back in time and investigate situational issues is also a godsend.

Pros

The software is simple to install and configure. Out of the box, you run the installer, add your licenses and apply the default template to start monitoring your SQL instances. You can then create custom monitoring templates that you can apply to specific instances and really narrow down on those things that are of the most important to you.

The product supports physical and virtual instances of SQL and I've used it with SQL 2008 through to SQL 2017. You can even monitor the virtual hosts resources via their integration.

The realtime capturing of queries, plans, and deadlocks is excellent. In the event of an issue, you can narrow down to a specific point in time and focus on those things impacting your SQL instance. You can see the queries that were running, the locks that were being held and so much more. This feature has saved me on more than one occasion.

The dashboard provides you with a really useful visual reference that you can leave running on a dedicated screen. You get regularly updated statistics about how your server is performing. In combination with the desktop warnings, you can react quickly to any developing issues.

Cons

As with most off the shelf software, SQL diagnostic Manager is most things you need in most cases. It does come with a default template that you can use. Be prepared though for some fine-tuning as you get more familiar with how the software works.

I've had one issue with the software since purchase. I didn't find their Tier 1 support to be very good but once escalated my issue was resolved.

Vineela T.

SQL DM

Reviewed on 2015/06/29

We have been using this tool since more than an year now...
Have found following pros and cons:

Pros:
Gives you index fragmentation, table growth , table size growth info and saves u lot of time

We also use it for monitoring deadlocks or adhoc queries locking up our system.

Cons:
Not user friendly at all
Takes lot longer to load up and start showing the graphs
Half the time it times out and says no data to show..
Had issues receiving alerts which we set up
User manual doesn't give complete description of metrics
Overall the experience was not as smooth as we thought..

Soheb S.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Very Nice Tool for DBA

Reviewed on 2019/03/09

it was times when server was down, database is offline, jobs are timing out any issue i was able to find the root cause in the tool and was able to fix it and this is something very useful for business to recover quick in case of failure.

Pros

I have been using the diag tool for past few years now and I completely satisfy with the in-depth and detail metrics it has to keep track of all the events happening on SQL server which other wise we have to either do it thorough extended event or trace. it helps me detect the problem before the user reports it and help us to stay proactive and recover quickly if any failure.

Cons

its hard to tell what I don't like about this software.

Response from IDERA

Thanks for the review Soheb! We are glad to hear that you are enjoying the tool and that it is allowing you to be proactive in detecting issues.

Felipe R.
Industry: Telecommunications
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

server diagnostics tool

Reviewed on 2019/11/21

We use it to monitor queries, performance and fall alerts. Bank errors often impact business applications, which generate demands on the networking team, which is often not our responsibility.

Pros

The real time diagnostics of the servers. Wasting less time on bank maintenance, alerts are customizable and responsive.

Cons

Browsing history is still slow, which causes some discomfort when it is necessary to redo bank analysis.

Using IderaDM to monitor SQL Servers accross organization

Reviewed on 2017/12/04

Pros

Diagnosting Manages is a good tool for in-depth monitoring of your SQL Servers, it captures logs, prformance counters and finds issues in your data infrastructure

Cons

Very hard to get appropriate priorities for alerts. It showed everithing as critical after initial installation.

Jim A.

An essential tool for busy database admins

Reviewed on 2015/06/30

SQL Diagnostic Manager is an invaluable tool for fast paced environments where the focus is on preventative maintenance with minimal effort. If you find yourself always trying to catch up on mundane & repetitive tasks in your SQL environment then diagnostic manager is a must. Not only will it alleviate your DBA's of repetitive tasks, it will also track re-occurring patterns to advise/warn you of forthcoming issues, allowing you to respond in a controlled & timely manner before the situation becomes critical. The only cons i can think of is why didn't we have it before !.

Cindy A.

I love SQLdm!

Reviewed on 2015/06/30

I keep SQLdm up on my pc ALL the time! As a DBA, I use it just as much as I do Management Studios. There are just so many benfits! It allows me to quickly find trouble spots and help to ease them. I can use reports to evaluate how changes have affected resources over a period of time. I can quickly spot a troublesome task and individually trace it or kill it. I can go "back in time" and determine an issue after the fact. I just really love SQLdm!

William K.

Easy to use SQL diagnosit tool!

Reviewed on 2015/06/29

Idera SQL Diagnostic Manager is a very easy to use product.
It is comprehensive with detailed tools for analysis, allowing you to drill down into exactly what is going on in the database. The historical snapshots allow tracking of historical events and allow correlation between incidents and data.