BuildBook

Construction management tool for home builders & remodelers

Jenni W.

Less stress more productivity....

Reviewed on 2020/12/23

Pros

It's like having a mobile electronic filing cabinet for each project. Everything I need is right on my cellphone in the app, from punch lists to the homeowner's paint color choices. It makes things so much more organized and thorough.

My favorite feature is that the app allows me to tag and search through multiple posts to find what I am looking for. Before, I had to run searches through my thousands of emails and weed out which ones were for this job/client.

I have just started using the new portfolio feature, which has allowed me to organized daily photos into "collections" then I can choose the best ones to transfer over to my portfolio.

So far, I am a fan and would highly recommend giving this software a try.

Cons

It's difficult to get others in the habit of using it. Even subcontractors.

Jason M.

BUILDBOOK REVIEW

Reviewed on 2020/03/12

So far we are just using it for pictures and some documents. We are not using it to its full potential yet but plan on working through it. Like everything there is a learning curve.

Pros

I like the fact that we have a place to keep all the jobsite progress photos with the portfolios so all people involved can see them.

Cons

No Scheduling feature directly related to the APP

Sevy C.

Love it

Reviewed on 2020/03/16

I personally love build book because it gives one place to track conversations, communicate with co workers and customers alike. Plus it makes the business look more professional and put together.

Pros

I love the ease of use especially when it comes to communicating with customers. Plus it keeps it all in one place.

Cons

I dont know if this is an issue with my phone itself or the app and my Samsung, but it always makes me log in again when I'm not using and go to use it again. Every single time. Frustrating but I've gotten used to it.

Aaron M.

It’s all about the details

Reviewed on 2020/12/19

Overall I like the software it makes it easy to track progress

Pros

Overall what I like most is the ability to log details and the that everyone on the team can review those details daily

Cons

The only thing that I do not like about the software is about 80% of the time it takes several minutes or even hours to upload and sometimes it will just drop out and not upload anything at all and I will have to reload pictures and details multiple times

Amos G.

BuildBook is amazing!

Reviewed on 2020/03/11

Pros

This app assists in streamlining daily tasky and information with our team.

Cons

It is not really applicable at this time.

Heidi K.

Great Product!

Reviewed on 2020/03/16

Great tool for better communication between field and office.

Pros

Excellent asset in communication between project managers and office staff on construction projects progress and extras.

Cons

I would love to see receipt tracking added.

Scott B.

Buildbook was a great switch.

Reviewed on 2020/03/11

Keeps great organization between members of our team.

Pros

Wonderful Picture capability for filing.

Cons

Calendar has its limitations. Still learning more about it.

Rilee B.

Build Book Review

Reviewed on 2020/03/09

I think our initial on boarding process overall went very well for us. Again, the BuildBook team was extremely responsive.

Pros

I like the social media feel of the application which make its easy to use and easy to follow. When something does need to be reviewed or looked back upon, it's still easy to go back and find a picture or document that I'm looking for.

Cons

Like any other app, there are bugs that cause some issues in the functionality but the Build Book team was super responsive and pushed out new updates very quickly.

Chris K.

Initial thoughts

Reviewed on 2020/12/29

Good. The people seem great. I do believe they will work the issues and help to create product that is in tune with the current market needs.

Pros

When I first looked into it I was happy to have a product that was easy for tracking leads and providing a project tool for our employees

Cons

The inability to turn a won lead into a project. It’s redundant to have to take the notes from the lead and redo them once a project is won.

Elisabeth S.

Hopeful for easy, one-stop project management

Reviewed on 2020/12/18

Pros

I am really looking forward to the 2nd version of this software for the project tracking and UI client management of information

Cons

The current features are not robust enough for me to get excited. As a small, but mighty organized group the functions don't provide enough management for what we are currently using

Tyler S.

Reviewed on 2020/12/29

9 out of 10

Pros

The user friendly software, great interface

Cons

A lot of scrolling to find post, takes a while to open sometimes

Andrea P.
  • Industry: Design

Great Platform for increasing communication with clients

Reviewed on 2020/03/06

Communication is much more fluid and accurate between client, builder and designer. No more copying a million folks on emails or group texts.

Pros

The ability to share images and have a record of dialogue all in one spot.

Cons

I wish I could have all the functionality on my PC, not just my phone. I think this is coming soon....

Response from BuildBook

Update: BuildBook is now multi-platform and available on both mobile and PC, so it can be easily accessed and used both in the office and out on the job site.

Daniel N.

Sleek, but not there yet

Reviewed on 2020/03/07

I used this hoping to have a functional communication platform for me, my clients, and my subtrades.

Instead, I got an expensive way to post pictures and an annoying app that sometimes doesn't work, and lacks any real communication guts

Without being able to tag people to get their attention, then it's really not that great.

Pros

The branding is great, and it's an easy sell to customers.

The customer support is easy and they get back to you right away.

Cons

No tagging. #1
Poor notifications.
App glitches
Inability to set it up for my clients remotely
Only works on mobile
User interface could be better

Geoff M.

Useful and Intuitive Project Management App

Reviewed on 2020/03/06

This has been a great product and we are just recently fully implementing it. We are impressed with not only the current features, but all the updates the Buildbook team constantly rolls out.

Pros

I love the quick integration with Dropbox for uploading files. Our systems have heavily been based over the last 3 years on a grab and go of files in Dropbox for my team. The software acts as a great holding for those, as well providing an intuitive communication platform both internally with my team and externally with our clients.

Cons

This software is relatively new and because of that they are constantly making it better. At the moment, the only little weakness that currently affects our team "divide and conquer" approach to numerous types of lists. Whether it be punch lists, or product selection, I would love the ability to assign the tasks to multiple people and then have an acknowledgement of who checked it off (for accountability).

Tom M.

Great tool to track project progress!

Reviewed on 2020/12/31

Great product for communication between owner, manager, employees, clients, and subcontractors!

Pros

We use this tool primarily to track job progress internally as well as with clientele. We use this software daily, whether it is creating task lists to be completed or post pictures and captions, and we love that we are able to post these progress updates to enhance internal scheduling as well as keep the client updated throughout the process. That being said, the communication capability with all parties is what we love most!

Cons

The to-do lists and tasks seem difficult to create, and I wasn’t aware of several other features prior to taking this questionnaire. Perhaps a tutorial or help guide would be useful in lieu of the chat option. Also, previously I had issues uploading multiple pictures and getting posts to create/post, but that seems to have been improved in the most recent update.

Noah W.

Build book has transformed our client relationships

Reviewed on 2020/03/05

Customer service is always fantastic! Our clients are appreciative of the software and it seems to make our projects that much smoother.

Pros

I really like that all our communications with each client is in one place. No more sorting through emails or texts.

Cons

It took a little while to get used to the way you needed to upload documents.

John U.

BuildBook Review

Reviewed on 2020/03/03

BuildBook’s customer service has been outstanding. They’ve been very accessible and responsive to my questions. They truly understand the construction business. I am really looking forward to see what they develop next!

Pros

I really like that most of my communication with clients is now handled through BuildBook. I use it for anything I can think of-product selection, jobsite photo updates, sharing of ideas, checklists...there’s so many possibilities. I use it for prospective clients during the sales process, too. And now that there are separate work rooms within each project, I’m able to share sensitive information with my subcontractors.

Cons

I met some resistance from my subcontractors when I started using BuildBook. I’ve tried to make it clear that this is StrongTower Woodworks’ method of communication. Some have adapted well, others haven’t. I can’t say that this is really a BuildBook problem, though.

Kate M.
  • Industry: Design

Full Service Collaboration Tool

Reviewed on 2020/03/16

Loved it! It was like Instagram for your house build or remodel project, keeping everyone interested and looking forward to the next step. The ability to see and comment in real time was motivating. It kept what can seem like a never ending process for my clients, more exciting. THANK YOU BUILDBOOK!

Pros

The fact that we could all be on the same page in real time was invaluable, between builder, designer, and customer. The ability to convey communication by text, photos, and documents was super helpful. Can’t imagine doing another remodel without it. Our customer loved it too!

Cons

The only thing I found a little frustrating was trying to update a selection sheet for my builder. One that I could update with text, not handwriting, but I think it’s not actually a BuildBook issue. It has to do with the type of file uploaded originally. And it honestly didn’t slow us down any!

Catherine D.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

A great idea that has a few kinks

Reviewed on 2020/03/11

A solid "B-" with the potential to be an "A" experience with some UX work and some platform thought. Keep working on it, because I think it could be a really great app/tool!

Pros

Terrific way for homeowners and contractors to share information on projects, ask questions and generally collect all documents, photos, and all documents in one place, taking it out of email and creating a shared space to use throughout the project.

Cons

It feels like there are still some bugs to work out....
- can't access it on my computer at work (only though my phone (Android) and iPad)
- logs me out all the time forcing me to enter my email and password every time I access the app
- sometimes couldn't see videos on my Android phone, but could see them on my iPad
- the UX is a bit clunky, taking me multiple clicks to get to new additions or comments

Alecia T.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Interior designer working remotely with contractors

Reviewed on 2020/03/10

I've been enjoying exploring the possibilities and tinkering with this app. I recently worked on my very first project with a contractor across the country and even though I've never spoken directly to his client, I was able to revise her drawing based on feedback she gave in build book. She also seems to enjoy that interaction. Otherwise, there would have been numerous back and forth emails with John (the contractor) forwarding and replying all, and it would have been so convoluted. I know my scores weren't very high on this survey. I can see that you are working hard on the app, and I'm certain if you ask me again in 6 months, these scores will be greatly improved. Keep up the good work!

Pros

I like being able to upload a file (a drawing) and have the feedback come to one place we can all see.

Cons

When it says I have notifications, it is often difficult to track down where they are. I think I would rather see all the files arranged like files on a desktop, each one showing it's own notifications. The feed style is difficult to sift through and the order is always changing to the most recently used (I think), so you always have to hunt for that file the next time you want to view it.

Also... I really want a desktop version!

Bob C.

Fantastic project tracking tool

Reviewed on 2020/03/20

The whole idea of this app is being able to improve communication between team members and our customers. Being able to see the multiple projects, see its status, communicate solutions, and answer customer’s questions. The idea extends to the team that created the app, the team at Buildbook. If there’s one thing I can say about them, its that they have excellent communication and customer service!

Pros

Being able to see progress on every project, and directly communicate and comment on individual project posts along with the home owner/customer

Cons

Still a few bugs here and there. One of the more consistent bugs is our team will run into problems uploading photos. But the Buildbook team is so responsive and prompt to address our feedback and squash those bugs. Even our feedback regarding certain requests to improve the user interface gets addressed!

Brady J.

Brady Colt Custom Homes

Reviewed on 2020/03/20

Clients love it, employees find it to be a very useful tool, and I am more organized because of it.

Pros

Integration within the company and buy in from our customers was instant!

Cons

Some of the initial lingo was difficult to grasp at first

Bryan C.

Good tool!

Reviewed on 2020/03/20

I think it a good platform that is continually getting better. Will definitely continue to use it.

Pros

Pretty easy to use and allows me to have a single place for my clients to touch base and ask questions

Cons

Adding docs is a bit cumbersome. Getting better with dropbox, but I couldn't get drop box to work yesterday.

Ryan M.

Great Product

Reviewed on 2020/03/03

The idea to have all communications flow into one app is simple, yet very efficient. In collaboration with our processes that were in already in place, the implementation of BuildBook has increased our productivity, which means increased our bottom line. All while satisfying the customer with no added expenses directed toward them.

Pros

Given multiple features to disperse to our internal team and our clients, BuildBook has proven to be well worth the investment. We have had nothing but positive feedback from our clients and the designers that we work with. They love the daily update posts that we require, which describes the work that was done that day and what is on tap for the next. The option to embed photos into your posts have made change orders easier to document and gain acceptance. The documents tab has all of the necessary information that the crews in the field need to efficiently complete the project.

Cons

There are no dire needs throughout the platform. The only suggestion would be have a spreadsheet option in the documents tab that would allow all parties, or selected few, to edit right there in BuildBook. I have noticed that the older clients are not as willing or able to adapt to the learning curve of the app.

Christina B.

Life Saver for our Small Construction Company

Reviewed on 2020/03/02

We’ve loved everything from our experience talking with the guys about what it could do, before we even bought it, to implementing it with our clients, getting certain subs on board with it, and knowing we’ve got a great support team behind the product as well. It’s absolutely been a life saver on this latest remodel, and I’m not sure how we did the previous ones without it?!

Pros

This makes communicating with our clients SO MUCH EASIER! We love love that everything is in one place, documented, with easy access to conversations, pictures, videos, any needed info we put in, etc. And being able to do this for each project without losing important conversations or endlessly reorganizing our inboxes is wonderful.

Cons

As always, when you get into a product early you may find a few small glitches or ways the app can work more optimally, but the customer service has been wonderful and we know those little things like a photo/video not uploading immediately are getting worked out Quickly.