Artwork Archive

4,9 (62)
Inventory management software for organizations & artists

Christopher R.

Art Gallery Software that's perfect for small collections

Reviewed on 2020/07/16

I have found them to be interested in what we are doing and willing to work with us to ensure that the software is matching our needs. We are a small gallery and so our needs parallel but they have been actively engaged.

Pros

This product was recommended to me by a colleague who also oversees a relatively small art collection. As soon as I contacted them they immediately responded with a helpful demonstration and answer to all my questions. The product is very intuitive, easy to navigate, and has a clean look. It also allows easy posting to social media. There is the additional advantage of reporting in various formats that allow for inventory analysis. A great product!

Cons

One minor issue is that there is not an easy way to distinguish historical artists from current contacts, as all are tracked in a "contacts" tab. Not a big deal, really, but you do need to ensure that you're completing the profile. It would also be nice if viewers who visit the public profile could see a biography of an artist that you may have entered in the contact profile.

Response from Artwork Archive

Thank you Christopher! We have very much enjoyed working with you and the Blackfriars' collection.

We're so glad to hear that the product is intuitive and easy to navigate. And it sounds like you're getting a lot out of the program with reporting and sharing.

As for your artist bio feedback, it's great and actually something we have been discussing as a teamhow can we continue to share and highlight the artists within a collection in addition to their artworks.

If you'd like to differentiate between living and deceased, you can create Contact Groups within Contacts. It is much like Collections for Pieces in that you can create any type of group you wish.

Jennifer C.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

So Happy We Made The Change

Reviewed on 2021/05/05

This software is extremely user friendly and has so many usable features that have already increased
the visibility of our permanent and rotating exhibits. Artist profitability has increased dramatically since we implemented this system. And sharing information is so much easier than our old system. The cost is extremely affordable in comparison to other systems out there. Another feature that helped us make our decision was the number of active users you can have on the account and customizable restrictions. Even though the thought of migrating over 4,000 records and associated images was daunting, the customer service team was right there to help every step of the way. All in all we are extremely satisfied.

Pros

User friendly, ease of use, multiple users with restrictions capability, public portal to share collections, customer service, attractive interface, openness of Artwork Archive to suggest new features.

Cons

It is hard to say because I am still learning to use the system efficiently. Customizable drop down menus would be a nice feature.

Response from Artwork Archive

WOW! Thank you Jennifer for the glowing review! We are so thrilled to play a (small) part in the success of your impressive and inspiring arts and healing program. Thank you for choosing us and we are so glad to be a part of your journey.

Lauren H.
  • Industry: Media Production

The Art of Archiving

Reviewed on 2020/04/13

I do understand the presentation and workflow of the Artwork Archive. However, I discontinued my use with the product as it seemed unnecessary. However, I do have a belief that they can change their options in the future.

Pros

This product review actually resonates perfectly as part of my career involves organizing visual archives. I decided to give this product a chance to shine as I was curious about what it would present. I do enjoy the clean, minimalistic appearance it prides itself in. In addition, I find myself inspired by its ease of guidance with a tutorial-listic approach to instructing its users.

Cons

I feel that, because this software gives off the impression of a community-based site, I do wish it would carry an option for users to showcase their work at a more open portal in a free plan (where they can share their work, without having to pay a large sum just to do so). It would be fair enough to provide a free plan to show your work, with limited options.

Response from Artwork Archive

Thanks for the feedback Lauren. We'd love to hear more from you and will be reaching out directly so that we can continue to improve upon our product and experience for our users.

Jasmine C.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Thank you, Artwork Archive for revolutionizing the way we organize and access art!

Reviewed on 2021/11/04

Pros

Art is an integral part of the healing environment of Children's Hospital. From the permanent collection, to our temporary exhibition spaces, community art projects, patient art shows, and diverse creative programming, we go above and beyond to engage patients, families, and team members. Artwork Archive has been an instrumental partner in helping take Children's Hospital Colorado's arts program to new heights.

Through the innovative partnership between Artwork Archive and Children's Hospital Colorado, we have increased access to art across our System of Care and created a new standard for stewardship of our fine art collection. Through the generous donation of Artwork Archive's suite of services we are able to create virtual exhibitions, catalogue every piece of art, track donor and artist information, and more easily implement pieces for the greatest benefit of our audiences.

Access to creative arts in the hospital provides inspiration, respite, and joy. Artwork Archive goes above and beyond a partner or vendor, they are true collaborators who recognize that a compassionate touch makes all the difference. Their team is always looking for ways to strengthen the work we do, and it is very appreciated.

Cons

My only wish is that we were able to better integrate Artwork Archive's virtual exhibitions and collection into our existing web presence, which has proven difficult due to internal limitations on how we are able to share and produce public content.

Response from Artwork Archive

Wow wow! Thank you for sharing this wonderful review. It's been an absolute job to help CHCO digitize and share its impressive collectionand for a cause that's so importantproviding inspiration, joy and respite to patients, their family and hospital staff.

Cheers,

Barbara S.

I love Artwork Archive!

Reviewed on 2021/08/06

Pros

It has so many features that make maintaining inventory and creating /selecting work for events and shows so much easier. It is a great tool for managing inventory locations and sales!

Cons

Having already had a large inventory and needing to enter data initially was a huge project. I'm really glad I did it though. It is so worth it. I just made it a part of my routine to enter a few each day or so. While existing files can be entered as a batch it all depends on your existing (antiquated software, in my case) as to just how much that will work for you.

Response from Artwork Archive

Thank you for switching over to us Barbara! We're glad you've been enjoying the database and that it has been of hep with your art career. We're proud to work with AWA and OPA artists like yourself! :)

Nancy M.

Essential Tool for Artists

Reviewed on 2021/09/12

Artwork Archive allows me to be professional in organizing my work and having access to images and info relating to the work when I want to make applications, send info to my galleries or potential collectors.

Pros

Artwork Archive allows me to organize my work in many ways that make access to images and info about the work easy and intuitive. It is a terrific tool in connecting with my galleries and collectors as well as reflecting on the arc of my career as an artist. It is super easy and fun to use and I cannot imagine how I would keep track of my work without it. I recommend this program to all of my colleagues and students.

Cons

I cannot honestly come up with any complaints about AA.

Response from Artwork Archive

Thank you Nancy for the wonderful review! We're so glad you transitioned from Bento to us and that we can help you organize your art business and reflect on that incredible arc of your career!

All the best,

Ashley E.
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

AA Review

Reviewed on 2020/12/21

Wonderful! It is great to have such a simple system that holds a lot of power to connect the public and staff to the Museum's Collection.

Pros

The ease of use in data migration and set up, the user interface, and the record information that is available.

Cons

Not the best search function, would like more detailed records for Exhibitions.

Response from Artwork Archive

Thank you Ashley for the review. It has been a pleasure to work with you on developing our new Exhibitions feature. Your feedback has been very helpful.

Frank M.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

The only solution for tracking and managing artwork for professional artists

Reviewed on 2021/08/04

Not only is the product fantastic, but the company and support is superb. You always reach a real person via chat and are very helpful and listen to suggestions from users.

Pros

If you have 100 or 10000 works to track, AA makes it very easy to manage all your art. My favorite part is how quickly I can look up all info about a work and send it to a client digitally in a professional portfolio/page.

Cons

- I would love to see a catalogue raisone as part of this software.
- I would also like to see more customization options as part of the artist's individual page on AA.
- A plugin to pull in data from AA to WordPress websites.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Artwork Archive

Ease of use, comprehensive features, support, price.

Response from Artwork Archive

Thanks Frank! We always appreciate your feedback. Your devoted use and suggestions have indeed elevated our product. Cheers, The Artwork Archive Team

Andrea S.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Artwork Archive is Fantastic!

Reviewed on 2021/08/27

Artwork Archive effortlessly gives us a professional public face, and gives us many tools to work with our art collection in many ways. Hats off to the team at Artwork Archive for making a superb, affordable product.

Pros

This is the kind of software company that gives software companies a good name. Artwork Archive has a great private face for us to track our non-profit, permanent, public art collection of 1500+ works (in 10 campus buildings) and growing; and it has a great public face for our students and the community to study and learn more about the art collection. In terms art collections software management, I don't think you'll find better than the team at Artwork Archive. They are superbly responsive and help out well when you have a question (and I have a lot of questions). The software does everything we need art collection software to do, and they keep coming up with new features we didn't know we needed but turn out to be super helpful. I have worked with other art collection software that's fabulously expensive (you know who they are) and nowhere near as good. Artwork Archive is a tremendous value for the money, and I am hugely grateful for the great team at Artwork Archive making this great product.

Cons

I am old-school: I come from the middle of the last century when everything had a paper manual. In fact, in the 1980s I helped write an early computer manual. Given my venerable seniority, I deeply miss paper manuals. I know no one makes them anymore, and no one else misses them. That being said, the Artwork Archive software is so easy to use, and the Artwork Archive team responds so fast to questions that I can't complain about them. I'm just letting you know that if you're a dinosaur from the last century, you can work well with this software. I do. My zippy and hip young assistant thinks it's good too.

Response from Artwork Archive

Thanks Andrea! What a great review. We're thrilled to help share your incredible collection with students and the community. And we all enjoy working with you!

• Industry: Architecture & Planning

Solid solution with a commitment to ongoing innovation

Reviewed on 2021/04/16

It's rare that you have an equally good experience with the product as you do the company itself...and that's been the case for us with Artwork Archive. Rather than some having some seemingly impenetrable wall that you have to breakthrough to get any help or support, they are incredibly accessible. We've also found that they follow through on their promises which is so refreshing.

Pros

Ease of use, ease of collaboration and the fact that the company actually listens to their customers.

Cons

I would have to get very nitpicky to identify a con. There have been times where I wish they had this feature or that feature, but those have been short-lived as the very thing I wanted to see usually ends up as part of one of their releases.

Response from Artwork Archive

Thank you for the wonderful review! We're so glad you're happy with the platform and our team, and that you appreciate our innovation! It's what makes the work we do really enjoyable--always finding new solutions.

Robert B.

Artwork Archive is Perfect for Artists

Reviewed on 2020/07/14

Absolutely wonderful. Beyond the fact that the software already does so much, they do something really crazy: they LISTEN to their customers. If there is something you would like to see the software do, they take you seriously. And they are improving the product constantly, adding new features and making it more robust by the year. I cannot brag on them enough for how they handle working with their customers.

Pros

Artwork Archive helps me on a daily basis. It tracks not only all of my artwork, but links sold works to clients, exhibited works to locations, and tracks collections, reproduction runs, prints, and even allows me to track my income and expenses. It has a contact module for all of my clients and VIPs and is hands down an absolute time-saver for the business side of my art practice. They've even added the ability to create private viewing rooms for clients, which are shareable with a link that allows them to view works without having to put them out on a public page (but they have a public page option as well).

Cons

There are always things I'd like to see software I use do that it doesn't, but Artwork Archive has very few of these. If you're looking for a robust calendar, it doesn't really have that, but it does have the ability to set scheduling reminders, and you can easily export those reminders to Google Calendar or Outlook or iCal.

Response from Artwork Archive

Oh what a delightful review! Thank you so much Robert for the kind words. We do love listening to our users. Feedback makes us better and we want to be the best art inventory platform (and resource for the arts)!

Josephine G.

Every artist needs this!

Reviewed on 2021/09/17

The real true benefit of it is the amazing customer support, and the continual development of new features based on feedback from us, the users and customers.

Pros

My primary purpose was to create a visual database of all my work, and Artwork Archive is hands down the absolutely best solution anywhere. The ease of uploading work and the detailed notes for each piece, etc. This allows for so much more detail with each piece, then when I need to create an inventory list, all it takes is a few quick clicks to have a PDF with all the pertinent information, including an image. This feature alone has saved me hours on the computer.
As a glass artist, I also love that I can create custom medium categories, and have been able to adapt the reproductions and editions module to work with the production pieces that are not completely one-of-a-kind artwork.

Cons

The only cons I have experienced have been my own lack of utilizing some of the new features, like the editions and reproductions, schedule and tasks, and client management - all features that were added after I began using it.
My only real regret is that I didn't start using it the moment it was available on the market!

Response from Artwork Archive

Thank you for the great review Josephine! We love hearing your excitement about our new features and announcement. The CRM functionality has been very popular and we hope it's of great help to you and your art business.

All the best,

Amantha T.
  • Industry: Fine Art

The Best Art Inventory & Art Business Software. Period.

Reviewed on 2020/06/04

I had spent years looking for a system to help organize my art business. Initially, all I wanted was a program to help keep track of my artwork. Finding a way to keep track of the data for each piece seemed impossible. I started using Artwork Archive in 2015 and since then they have constantly added additional features that have continued to improve their product. Also they have amazing customer service.

Pros

Artwork Archive has every feature I need for organizing the administrative side of my art practice. It is very easy to use and I can track the location and sales of every piece of art . I love that I have my collector database and art database in one spot and that it is very easy to attach a sold piece to its collector. Every sale is automatically logged so you can keep track of inventory, relationship management and income in one place. Especially helpful is that you can automatically create editions from prints and track every numbered print you produce. This is normally a real nightmare but they make it easy. Another fantastic feature is that you can just select the paintings in your inventory for a show and automatically create inventory lists, portfolio pages and wall labels for an exhibit. There really is no other art studio software anyone needs.

Cons

There really isn't anything I would want to change at this time. They keep adding elements that I didn't think I needed before.

Response from Artwork Archive

Thank you Amanda for the positive review! We're glad that you're using the Editions feature to automatically generate reproductions! It sounds like you're using the platform really well and getting a lot out of it. That makes us so happy!

Shelley A.

Review of Artwork Archive

Reviewed on 2020/07/14

Pros

It is a relational database that I can reports out for my boss who is an art collector with over 1500 works. It was easy to transfer via a CSV from his previous database (old, on a glorified xls with a fancy frontpage). I love the new Private Rooms which allow me to put together reports that don't need to be printed. Staff friendly and helpful even though they are on the other side of the world to me

Cons

There are some minor things that I have learned to live without. The reports can be a bit clunky and the titles on the reports when printing need to be more like a title. I would like to be able to get a report on the Condition of the artworks but there is a large jump in price which the boss doesn't see the value in (I do but he's the one paying).

Response from Artwork Archive

Thank you Shelley for the very thorough and informative review.

If you'd ever like to make the case to your boss for upgrading to the Organization level with the Condition reports, I am more than happy to help! It is such a helpful tool and we've received a lot of positive feedback on the maintenance tracking functionality.

Julia B.

I'm a big fan!

Reviewed on 2020/07/13

Pros

Artwork Archive was recommended by an art marketing guru during an on-line class and I'm forever grateful. Initially I liked it because it affirmed my sense of myself as a professional artist, helping me organize my inventory and showing me how far I'd come. But it didn't take long to see all the other benefits. It's easy to use. It's super easy to search. It's flexible. Customer service is quick to respond and helpful with your specific needs. When I've brought inventory sheets with me as I dropped art at a gallery, the gallerist wished every artist they worked with were as organized. When the invoice comes every year I'm happy to pay it - it always feels like a great bargain.

Cons

Along the way I've occasionally found certain things awkward (can't remember right now), but then I'd suggest a change to the Artwork Archive crew and they usually thought the suggestions was valid and actually remedied the problem! Your questions or issues don't drop into a void - real people respond quickly and helpfully.

Response from Artwork Archive

Thanks so much Julia for the positive review! I'm sharing this with the rest of the team because they will all be so thrilled to see how Artwork Archive has helped you succeed as an artist.

We really prioritize our customer support and everyone enjoys doing it and hearing from our users. I am glad we can be of help!

Paul M.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

An essential tool for an artist

Reviewed on 2021/08/08

I now know where everything is, where it has been, and where it is going. It's fantastic for inventory and for tracking exhibitions and galleries that have my work.

Pros

I use Artwork Archive all the time. I have been a user for years, after having a disagreement with a gallery on how many of my pieces they had. I needed something better for tracking and found it. Artwork Archive keeps track of everything, and allows me to generate the reports I need for galleries, exhibitions, even for inventory purposes at tax time.

Cons

I would love some more detailed fields for tracking exhibitions since I ship most of my art, and get it shipped back to me after. (like, when do I have to ship vs when is the artwork due in the gallery, when will they ship it back vs when will it return to my studio). Overall, exhibition capabilities continue to improve which is great, but there's more that cam be done.

If it could then automatically update my google calendar with entries as they are added or changed, I'd be really happy. ALthough it's helpful top see the calendar info in AA, it would be better if I can see everything in the calendar that I see on my phone and desktop.

Response from Artwork Archive

Thanks for the great review Paul! We're glad we can help you track your artworks. As for syncing your reminders to your calendar...you can do that! If you click into the Schedule tool, you'll see a calendar icon next to each reminder. By clicking on it, you'll sync the event/reminder to your calendar.

Hope that helps!

Gretchen W.

So useful!

Reviewed on 2020/07/13

I'm a huge fan of the fact that I can keep track of expenses, sales, shows and competitions. Such a life-saver!

Pros

I'm not an organized person, but Artwork Archive makes me seem like I am! I've found it especially helpful when I have multiple shows I'm applying for and I need to keep track of which paintings are going where. It's also awesome that I can integrate my portfolio with my web site.

Cons

I would love it if there was a way to divvy up my portfolio so I could do collection releases and have that sync with my web site... like have a separate gallery just for pieces painted during quarantine and then be able to do a release on my site that's separate from the main portfolio. Is that possible?

Response from Artwork Archive

We're so glad that you took the time to review us Gretchen, especially since your ask is definitely possible!

You can create separate Collections within your portfolio. Our users love that tool because you can create thematic groupings, collections for exhibits, and more.

You can also embed your entire portfolio or individual collections onto your website with just one link of code.

If you need help, please feel free to contact us at info[at]artworkarchive[dot]com!

Fred N.

A Collector's Perspective of Artwork Archive

Reviewed on 2020/07/14

Artwork Archive has allowed me to catalog my art collection with a minimum of data entry headaches. It is well designed, simple to use and gives me easy online access to my collection.

Pros

I spent several months looking for software to use in cataloging my art collection. Artwork Archive had the features I was looking for a price that I could afford. I like the ease of data entry, the ease of attaching images, and the varied types of reports that can be generated. Their online tutorials are very helpful in explaining the softwares features. I also appreciate the fact they are continually improving the software by adding features like the private viewing room.

Cons

A filter function when preparing reports that allows you to select by artist name would helpful.

Response from Artwork Archive

Thank you for the review! I'm glad you mentioned report generation. You can filter by Artist name! When creating the report, scroll down to Filters, click on the box, and then select the dropdown for Artist.

Laura F.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Excellent tool for all serious artists

Reviewed on 2020/08/04

I feel like I'm benefiting every day using this software. It makes organizing inventory so simple, and much easier to communicate with galleries, etc. to show them work that's available.

Pros

I like being able to easily keep track of every piece of inventory, and do simple searches to find what I need. The functions that I use most are reports, collections and private rooms. The private room allows you to send a private link to a buyer or gallery to review your work in a very aesthetically pleasing, clean way. They can zoom in to see detail.

Cons

A few times I found things I didn't like or didn't fully understand but when I reached out to the Artwork Archive team, they addressed this. For example, at first there was no category for "work on paper" although they did have "drawing." I make mixed media works on paper so drawing was not what I was looking for. After I contacted them, they added the category.

Response from Artwork Archive

Oh wow! Thank you Laura for this wonderful review. We are so glad you benefit every day from our platform.

And we're grateful for your feedback as you make our product better! Thanks!

Colleen V.

Glad I found Artwork Archive

Reviewed on 2020/07/15

I worked really hard to set up my own gallery on my website and I still wasn’t happy with the results. Then I saw a post about Artwork Archive from [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] on Instagram and I was intrigued. I’ve found him to be a trustworthy source of information and advice so I watched his video and others I found on YouTube and I set it up. It’s been fantastic and trouble free. Also I appreciate your emails and the excellent advice in them. I wasn’t expecting that, it’s a great added bonus.

Pros

It’s easy to use, easy to set up, clients find it easy to search, I find it easy to update (even from my phone) it looks professional.

Cons

I’d love to be able to organize my paintings to appear to my customers in order of medium or some other way. I know they can search and I can have collections so this is a small thing.
I had to really think to come up with a con.

Response from Artwork Archive

We're so glad you found us! Sergio is an incredible resource and we're lucky to have him sharing Artwork Archive.

Thank you for the feedback. I've shared it with the team! We're always looking for ways to improve.

Lindy S.

I couldn't live a day without Artwork Archive

Reviewed on 2021/08/11

I use Artwork Archive almost daily to look up old works, to provides descriptions for social media, buyers or my website. I don't think I've ever had a tech glitch using it.

Pros

Easy to use, flawless to maintain. Step by step uploads. Descriptions of artwork can be easily changed as it is framed or prices raised. Did I mention easy to use??? It also provides a permanent inventory of my art, which is why I bought it initially, but this program does so much more than that list.

Cons

I don't use the bookkeeping functions. Maybe someday.

Response from Artwork Archive

Wow! Such an amazing review. Thank you Lindy. We're so glad Artwork Archive is a part of your daily routine and a big help.

We wish you the best of luck in your art business and are happy to be a part of the journey!

Randy S.

Indispensable Studio Tool

Reviewed on 2021/08/05

The business side of making art is the bane of every artist and this online tool helps to minimize that necessary part of studio life. Without it, I would spend much more time on paperwork and tracking and less time actually making art.

Pros

I like that all the parts are integrated - Contacts, inventory, and especially income and expenses. No more looking up information in various places - notebooks, Excel sheets and scraps of paper. It's all connected.

Cons

I would like a place to inventory my supplies - panels, paint, brushes, etc.

Response from Artwork Archive

Thank you for the lovely review Randy! You're right -- it is so helpful to have all aspects of your art business centralized and accessible in one place. We have discussed supplies inventory tracking in the past so we'll make sure to share with the team.

Heather R.

Couldn't work without Artwork Archive

Reviewed on 2021/08/04

They are very responsive to feedback! I've contacted the staff several times with questions and feedback and they always get back to me promptly.

Pros

This software is indispensable for artists keeping track of work. I can track all my inventory, where it's been shown, sales, buyer info, expenses, exhibitions - everything is in one place. You can really track as much info per piece as you'd like to. My favorite part might be the reports you can generate - it's so easy to make professional-looking portfolio pages, or inventory lists, or labels that you can print or send as pdfs.

Cons

Though it's not a major part of the software, the revenue/expenses tracking portion could be a little more robust.

Response from Artwork Archive

Wow! Thank you for such a positive review Heather. We're so glad you made the switch to our platform from Filemaker. Please feel free to contact us via chat or at [email protected] with any feedback you have on our Revenue/Expenses feature. We always looking to improve!
-The Artwork Archive Team-

Barbara S.
  • Industry: Fine Art

Best tool an artist could have

Reviewed on 2021/08/06

Artwork Archive is a great way to stay organized and keep all my information in one central place. I'm still learning about all the things I can do on the site, and the blog articles are always helpful in growing as an artist. Easy to use, and it's so important in helping me keep track of all my pieces. Having the Certificate of Authenticity feature right there saves me so much time. Thanks!

Pros

Easy to use and comprehensive at the same time.

Cons

Can't think of anything at the moment - no problems so far, and I've been using it for almost five years.

Response from Artwork Archive

Thanks for the review Barbara! The COA is definitely a great tool! So many of our artists love how easy it is to generate and send off. It's also great to hear that you find our blog helpful. We're super proud of that resource!

Cheers,

Eddie H.

REVIEW

Reviewed on 2020/07/22

help the business growing fast.

Pros

time-saving artwork management, ERP+CRM, and tracking works.

Cons

account security, user selected functioning,

Artlogic

Reasons for Switching to Artwork Archive

Response from Artwork Archive

Thank you for the review Eddie! We appreciate you sharing your feedback.