Camtasia

Write a Review!
Screen recording, video making, and editing tool

4.2/5
4.3/5
4.5/5
4.2/5

Alfredo
Alfredo

The best editing software for educational videos

Reviewed on 2022/01/27

Camtasia is a program that helps me enormously in my work, although there are very powerful video editors, they become complicated to use and have a very high cost. Its ease of use allows you to obtain quality results without being an expert in the area of video editing. It includes the screenshot tool which works perfectly. The cost-benefit ratio seems very good to me. I definitely recommend it.

Pros

It is a very easy program to use, but at the same time, it is full of tools that make your work easier and allow you to obtain very good results.
Among its best features are:
- Easy to edit videos, take part of them, make cuts, speed up or slow down and manage layers
- You can easily add shapes, arrows, texts and graphic elements, and it is very easy to define their duration and position in the video.
- Its screenshot tool is great, it has the correct and enough options, it allows to capture the screen and the webcam at the same time and edit them in separate channels.
- It has audio effects, few but functional and well selected, noise reduction, fade in and fade out. No more is needed.
- Video pan and zoom tools are easy to use.
- The export is simple and different profiles can be handled.
- It has subtitle function
- Easily separate the sound from the video and you can easily control the volume
- Video documentation is very good

Cons

What I think can be improved is really little.
- The program takes a while to start, but once opened, it works smoothly even if you don't have a large computer, in my case, with 8 GB of ram I can use it correctly.
- Some things are missing customization options, but you rarely miss them
- The templates and elements that are included are limited, if you want more they have a cost that seems high to me if you have already paid for the software.
- It seems to me that it lacks an autosave option, I have already had to lose a few hours of work due to a power failure.

Filmora

Reasons for Choosing Camtasia

High cost of Adobe license, very complex use of software, many features not used for our purposes.

Adobe Premiere Pro

Reasons for Switching to Camtasia

Filmora is a good program, but you have to buy the screen recorder separately, Filmora Pro includes it, but the ease and speed of use required for our purposes is reduced.
Joseph
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Easy Video Editing for a Price

Reviewed on 2024/04/17

Pros

I love the ease of use and one-time fee. It's a great way to get started in video editing for the average user.

Cons

Sometimes Camtasia crashes and the AI features I bought the upgrade for don't really work with pre-existing content.

Adobe Premiere Pro

Reasons for Switching to Camtasia

Camtasia is a better bang for the buck than Adobe Premiere, especially for newer users.
Paul
  • Industry: Translation & Localization

Using Camtasia on new fast hardware

Reviewed on 2024/05/21

It does what it says on the tin and whilst the UX is terrible on a new computer with hi-res screen it's still the software of choice for me until I find something better... or they address the hi-res issues and make me stay forever ;-)

Pros

It's the only tool I've tried that is easy to use and has all the features I'm ever likely to need.

Cons

Since moving to a faster computer I also have a Hi-Res screen. It's very disappointing that Camtasia has not been updated to support hi-res screens and user experience was better for me on the old computer even if it was slow.

Andrew
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Best for software training videos

Reviewed on 2024/04/16

I've made demo videos of software in under a day with Camtasia. Editing them and adding callouts is a breeze.

Pros

It's optimized for creating videos in which screen recordings of software usage predominate.

Cons

Little things, like the inability to reverse a clip (i.e. play it backwards on the timeline). The ability to export the audio to an external program, edit it there, then bring it back in, would be amazing too.

Jon
  • Industry: Public Safety

Jon Hegidio review

Reviewed on 2024/04/25

Pros

Ease of use and being able to use Capture to sync with mobile devices.

Cons

There is nothing that really stands out that I don't like about this product.

Noah

Great Product, One Minor Flaw

Reviewed on 2024/04/16

Really good! Great product if you're doing screen capture videos, and the editor interface is intuitive. Customer service is good. Fair warning on the mobile Capture app, but that's more of a nice to have than an essential feature, and other than that this is a fantastic product that's very reasonably priced.

Pros

It's easy to use, and it does a great job of all the basic things you need it to do.

Cons

The only quibble I have at all is that the mobile app (Capture) is buggy. When it works it's super useful, but it frequently doesn't work for me, which has caused me major heartache at times. It's gotten to the point where I no longer use it, as I can't afford to lose work. The downside of this is that, while I can use my iPhone's native screen recording feature, 1) that has its own bugs, namely that if I record for longer than a few minutes it'll freeze, and 2) it doesn't record sound. The only reason the sound recording aspect of Capture is useful to me when the app is working is that it allows me to visually sync my desktop and mobile Capture tracks. Basically, when I'm including mobile content in a video, it's usually overlaid on top of a desktop background. I use a condenser mic to capture high quality audio, so I don't even use the audio from the Capture app in the finished product, but it's useful to have, because I can separate the audio and video from the Capture track and visually line up the audio with the audio from my condenser mic. So this just makes my editing process a little easier. It's not that big a deal, definitely not a deal-breaker, but it would be nice if they'd address it at some point.

Jan

Camtasia's Ease of Use and Audio Excellence Meet Opportunities for Improvement

Reviewed on 2024/04/17

Overall, my experience with Camtasia has been quite positive. The software excels in user-friendliness, particularly in the video editing department, where it allows for quick, distraction-free editing. The unique focus feature in the audio capture function is a notable highlight, providing capabilities not seen in other editing software, which significantly enhances voiceover work and music integration. The file-sharing feature also meets my needs effectively. However, there are areas where Camtasia could improve, such as increasing the recording speed to be on par with competitors like NVIDIA's screen recorder, and expanding the color grading options to allow for more creative flexibility. Features such as face detection and beautification would also be valuable additions to the software's toolkit.

Pros

I appreciate the simplicity and ease of initiating recordings with Camtasia. It's fantastic for quick editing without distractions. The audio capture feature stands out, especially for voiceover work and syncing with music—something not commonly found in other editing software. I've also had a positive experience with the file-sharing capabilities.

Cons

While I'm satisfied with many aspects of Camtasia, I feel that the recording speed could be improved to match that of NVIDIA's screen recorder. The quality of recordings also has room for enhancement to reach similar standards. Additionally, I believe the color grading features could be more extensive, even in the newer versions, and I would welcome advancements like face detection and beautification tools to elevate the editing process further.

Jonathan

Camtasia for Video Creation

Reviewed on 2024/04/16

Camtasia has been a core tool in my (and my organization's) e-learning development toolbox over the years. We've used it to capture training content, edit training content, create training content, etc. Screen captures, live capture of instructor video, accompanying or standalone animated storytelling via graphics and text. It's been great.

Pros

Camtasia is easy to use, doesn't require a subscription, has good built-in animations and transitions, and does screen capture as well! It's a great tool that covers a lot of bases in the world of video creation/editing. Has excellent performance for the most part as well.

Cons

I've always wished the media bin was a resizable pane. I've worked around it by using structured file naming conventions for my media assets (of which I typically have a lot, since I mostly use Camtasia these days for video creation with text and graphics).

Nathalie
  • Industry: Higher Education

Editing videos and creating videos is very easy

Reviewed on 2024/04/16

I feel comfortable with it. I appreciate the overall UX and the functonnalities match my needs.

Pros

Camtasia has been improving a lot over the years and is still offered at a reasonable price. For me, this is a very good mark of quality in a company. I want to be able to trust and rely on a company when I invest time and money to learn their product and get comfortable with. Camtasia is a company that offers me that.
Some online tools might have become more intuitive and easy to use but they don't offer reliable technical support and other services so critical to my work. I like working with Camtasia and I trust the product.

Cons

A few years ago, the software was not so stable and was crashing on a regular basis. This very rarely happens now and I never loose anything. So again, they have invested effort in improvement and they listen to their customers' needs.

Andy
Andy

A good all round solution

Reviewed on 2024/04/22

Good. Helpful support, easy to use product. No dramas at all.

Good. Helpful support, easy to use product. No dramas at all.

Pros

Easy to use, reliable, quick, and robust. When you don't have time to waste, and need to know that you will get solid results every time you click record, Camtasia is excellent.

Cons

It's on the pricey end, but then you really do get what you pay for. I've tried alternatives and they all fall short. So, while it's an outlay, it's worth it if you use it regularly (which I do)

Muhammad
  • Industry: Graphic Design

As a YouTuber and a Freelancer you need Camtasia Software

Reviewed on 2021/08/04

I was not an expert in video editing and started using Camtasia. And now I am a graphic designer and still, I am using Camtasia because of its highly friendly interface.
I used to create videos for my youtube channel, for my Facebook page, and for my clients. Each time Camtasia is going to help me a lot. I can create an intro I want, simply by using Camtasia templates. I can edit video without hesitation of lagging problem.
But I don't like its loading time, It often used to take too much time while exporting a video, uploading a video on youtube, or doing sharing with Camtasia.
But I am expecting that the Camtasias team is working on this and it is going to resolve very soon.

Pros

The best thing I like about Camtasia is the savings project as a file. You can stop working on your project anytime you want and may reopen it whenever you wish to continue. It is not going to crash like other cheap software. Once you complete your project, You can export this in any format which you want.
I like this feature because I am a freelancer and I used to work on 2 to e projects same time. Sometimes I need to stop my first project and need to continue another project. Here Camtasia saved project will help me a lot and it is never going to troubleshoot or crash.
You may import hundred of videos and it is never going to lag even a little bit. It is also going to work smoothly also on small systems e.g having 4GB ram or low on Hard disk-like 70GB.

Cons

Opening software takes too much time but it's okay, But there is no sense of loading again when I am going to opening my saved project. I like the software too much but I wish that the Camtasia team should have a look at this and need to improve this one. I can't afford so much patience that I will use to wait while it's being opening.
Another thing I want to mention here, It has limited access to templates. There should be an option of importing custom templates. The quantity of icons in the media library is also limited although there is an option of downloading from techsmith website but i am unable to do so.

Vanessa
  • Industry: Design

Simple, easy to learn, trustworthy

Reviewed on 2023/11/28

It's been very useful and easy to learn, I've used it a lot and also recommended it. It is not overly expensive but there are less expensive (and even free) apps around with the same capabilities, so a free version with fewer options and pay-per-addons would be a great alternative.

Pros

It is easy to learn, produces high-quality videos and has lots of effects already included that make the job faster. It has all the basic functions and some advanced ones and it has a great interface.

Cons

Even though it has lots of effects already included, if you do the same type of video again and again the selection becomes limited. The recorder only produces a huge file that needs to be opened in Camtasia and then exported, which makes long recordings very hard to manage. And, if the videos are too big, the software becomes jumpy, which doesn't happen with the same set of videos on a different editor.

• Industry: Media Production

Capture your fantasy screen

Reviewed on 2024/01/22

I enjoyed creating my video course and used most of Camtasia functionalities, and even though I had a very low memory RAM size I got a good and smooth product at the end.

Pros

Well, I started the use of Camtasia about ten years ago and I was astonished how easy was to learn the use of. Besides, upon a few clicks anything were set just out of the box and I could create my first course about video-editing. It's a great software to create a video from a high quality screen capture.

Cons

The price it's the mayor con! If you can afford it and the updates then the cost value the quality. The second con is that you need a lot of memory to get a smooth work. If do you have 32 GB RAM can work fine without problem. No other con from my experience.

S m
S m
  • Industry: Consumer Services

‘’Users of various skill levels might produce excellent videos with Camtasia’’

Reviewed on 2022/07/26

For anyone who has to capture their screen and then edit that recording, I believe Camtasia is fantastic. Camtasia has been used to record presentations on the computer screen. We use these recordings after editing to create webinars or online courses. The software costs a fair amount with a one-time purchase fee. Camtasia is an easy-to-use tool that develops learning experiences that demand desktop visuals while producing content that is entirely compatible with a range of video-carrying devices. Additionally, the application uses pixelation or blurring techniques to conceal information that could otherwise be used to individually identify people to prevent any violations of student confidentiality laws or Institutional Review Board standards. A convenient library of visual pictures, icons, backdrops, and audio beds may be combined with user-generated content to give presentations that are eye-catching "pizzazz." Some educators utilize it to communicate concepts that call for a visual component. Both multiple timeline storage and the inclusion of audio-scrubbing in the editing toolbox would be significant advancements. For illustration, a project might promote

Pros

Every internet project these days needs editing. This covers activities incorporating images, sound, video, and other components. I've used it for more than 6 years. Camtasia was initially used to create instructional videos for students, learners, coworkers, and the online courses my company provides. Camtasia is, in my opinion, relatively easy to use when compared to some of the other products available on the market. Even if we don't have as many bells and whistles, the completed product still feels and looks professional. Rapid video production and transmission. For novices, there are informative courses and supplemental videos. Any variety of media, including PPTs, audio, video, and graphics, can be imported.
Training videos can be amazing.
They also have fantastic support people.
They patch their frequency
I would strongly recommend such an item!

Cons

Alternating Period
Filters
Asset Inventory
White Balance modifications
Possibly accurate are the audio and screenshot. There might periodically be a delay.
On rare occasions, a projected screen will be done but still be listed as a recent project.

The first step towards video editing.

Reviewed on 2022/05/13

I have used it for a long time, I have been using it for more than 3 years, and after gaining experience with the video editing method and taking the basics, I began to dig deeper into more professional software.

Pros

Camtasia is the first program I have used in my life to edit my videos, had it not been for the use of this program in the beginning, I would not have been able to use more professional programs such as Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects.
I've used it for a long time and through it I've moved on and digging into other programs, and I admit it's an excellent program and a lot of people have gotten started with it.
I used it for two things, the first is to edit my videos, and the second is to record my screen
It is a very easy-to-use feature, the user interface is very simple, it has a lot of ready-made transitions between videos, as well as special transitions for texts, and also photo animations, you can put video subtitles, add graphic shapes and arrows, there are some sound effects that you can use very quickly In processing files and exporting videos.
Camtasia targets the novice user in this field, because you can create simple videos of very high quality.

Cons

Camtasia lacks the most important feature, which is automatic saving, when the power is cut off, all the project I was working on disappeared, and I had to go back to build the entire work
Also, it does not have professional transitions like in other programs, it is light, simple and limited in use.

Mohan Lal
Mohan Lal

My favorite software for Video Editing

Reviewed on 2022/05/06

My overall experience with Camtasia has been good. And, just like any other software, it gets easier and more fun creating/editing videos in Camtasia as you know more about the software & basics of Video Editing.

Camtasia is good if you are looking for basic Video Editing software. But, if we talk about Videos that require advanced editing, visual effects e.g. in the case of Cinematic videos, etc. then I would recommend comparing with alternative options to see which one fits the goal.

Pros

Camtasia has all the required features, and a simple UI to help you create polished Videos without needing to spend too much time learning the software.

Talking about most favorite features, I like the 'remove a color' effect, callouts, transition effects, & animations. These features help in creating professional-looking videos. For example, after you record a video with the green screen, you can then remove the background color using the 'remove a color' option, and, later you can add callouts with effects, animations, etc. to make the video more engaging.

Camtasia also has easy to use screen recording feature, which comes in handy when you need to create PPT-based videos, or need to record a short clip for inserting into your final video.

Another thing I like about the software is, that you can group the elements on the video timeline, so when you are creating an element with too many effects, and animations combined; then you can group those elements to show as one element. Also, you can copy & paste these created elements into the new project file, which helps in reducing your editing time when you need to use an already created element.

Cons

There aren't many options related to Audio corrections in Camtasia. Also, the color correction options are not that good either if we compare it to options in software like Premiere Pro CC.

Cs
Cs
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Business Saver

Reviewed on 2023/03/10

Pros

Camtasia is a versatile and powerful video editing and screen recording software that offers a wide range of features and tools for creating professional-quality videos. As someone who has used Camtasia extensively, I can confidently say that it is one of the best screen recording and video editing software available on the market today. One of the standout features of Camtasia is its user-friendly interface. Even if you have no prior experience with video editing, the software is intuitive and easy to use. The drag-and-drop interface allows you to quickly add elements to your videos, while the extensive library of templates and assets makes it easy to create professional-looking videos in no time. Another great feature of Camtasia is its screen recording capabilities. With Camtasia, you can easily record your computer screen, webcam, or both simultaneously. This is especially useful for creating tutorial videos or product demos, where you need to show users how to use a particular software or application. In conclusion, Camtasia is an excellent video editing and screen recording software that offers a wide range of features and tools for creating professional-looking videos. While it may be on the expensive side, its user-friendly interface, screen recording capabilities, and editing tools make it a worthwhile investment for anyone looking to create high-quality video content.

Cons

One downside of Camtasia is its price. Compared to other video editing software, Camtasia is on the more expensive side. However, if you're looking for a powerful and feature-rich tool that will help you create high-quality videos, Camtasia is definitely worth the investment.

Hueala
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Camtasia Pro's and Con's

Reviewed on 2024/04/17

Overall is a good experience. It seems like a solid product built by solid people.

Pros

I find Camtasia afordable and overall functional - and having a permanent license is something I enjoy a lot - for short ownership of product is something I like a lot - and I think that is some of the coolest things about Camtasia.

Cons

In general, Camtasia is a great software, if it would not be laggy anymore, I think this would take over a lot of other products out there, so if there would be someone on product - defineltly focus on the functionality aspect of things, make it work smooth. If Camtasia would work smooth I think the number of users would start growing, other features I would keep on hold - do small improvements here and there. I would prioritize smoothness of editing - loading of assets and overall day to day operations on it. I would also probalby split the Camtasia Software as a base for editing and I would create a monetizeable library of assets for it - powered by community - with microtransactions where Camtasia keeps a certain percentage and commnunity can make money as well. This way there would be community engagement and new assets or even add-ons for editing different things.

David

Barely functional program with useless support

Reviewed on 2023/04/27

Terrible. It's glitchy, updates ruin projects and force remakes or reshoots. Tech support is standoffish and difficult, and the dev team seemingly has no interest in taking user feedback.

Pros

It's relatively simple so you can figure out the basics pretty quick.Try doing ANYTHING more than cutting a clip together though...

Cons

Technical Support and User Experience. Every update ruins SOMETHING about the program and it takes weeks or even months to get it fixed. The latest version deleted entire asset libraries that I've been using for 5+ years, and most interactions with the support team leave me more frustrated than when I started. They even insulted me and said I couldn't read once.

Jonathan

Finish 90% of your videos in 90% less time

Reviewed on 2024/05/13

My experience with Camtasia and Techsmith in general has been very positive. It's extremely beginner friendly; the mental bandwidth necessary to get started is low. But it's more than adequate for more detailed, more polished videos too, so my whole team can safely use Camtasia, regardless of our individual level of skill.

Pros

Camtasia is easy to use and easy to understand. Video editing pros will be satisfied with the level of control that Camtasia offers, while newbies will appreciate how intuitive and uncomplicated all the basic actions are. Camtasia makes it easy to turn an idea into a rough demo in a very short amount of time, which is its best strength. This is a critical step in the creation process, so the benefit here can't be understated.

Cons

Though it's not lacking features or control, video editing pros and gurus will occasionally notice a small feature missing that more complex tools would have included. Also, simple animations are easy enough with Camtasia, but more complex animations are going to be laborious. Most users won't ever really run into that problem.

Hannah

Camtasia is a 'top-tier' video editing & recording software

Reviewed on 2022/12/21

I have used Camtasia for a few years now, and have transferred it across to my new roles as it is a tool I prefer over other pieces of software. It offers a very easy set-up, with various opportunities to enhance videos. It also has a built-in screen recorder which is always handy, with the ability to add audio, voiceovers and much more! I plan to continue using Camtasia indefitinitely, and hope others get on board with using such a great tool! Always looking forward for updates and new developments with the software. It is a winner!

Pros

There are many reasons why I choose to use Camtasia over other software. Firstly, the set-up offers a simple and seamless user interface for creating, recording and editing videos. Whether you are a beginner or advanced video editor, this tool allows for a comprehensive experience. Camtasia offers inspiration for video creation, as well as multiple tools, effects and transitions that have helped bring our videos to life. The timeline offers an understandable way of creating projects, unlike software such as 'Premier Pro' which is very specific in it's target audience of trained professionals. Camtasia has everything you need in once place, and is a software that would make naybody feel confident in using!

Cons

The only thing I would mention, is that when exporting the final video, much like all software, so this is very much a 'me thing' - is that, if you move any content used in the video to a different folder on your user drive, you need to re-connect the images when opening the editing file again.

Ariyan
Ariyan

One of the best and easy video editing and creating software

Reviewed on 2020/06/17

I use Camtasia for my camera video editing. I cut unused thing, add some title and customise the sound. sometimes I edit my whiteboard video with this, and I sell those video to my buyer.

Pros

Camtasia is a video editing and creating software. I used this software overall in 3 years. This is a really helpful software for simple editing work. The feature of this software are very easy to use. So, I recommended my all friend and colleague to use this software. There are some easy tools and option, anyone can learn about this software in one or tow day. The rendering file of this software is small but the video quality is very good. that's why it's my favourite software.

Cons

There are no special effect and fx tools. after saving the video file, that folder contains too many files.and also one thing is, you can't make any high quality petty or slide video with this.

Angie
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Fantastic for recording demo videos

Reviewed on 2022/08/21

Camtasia has made recording demos exceptionally easy for anyone.

Camtasia has made recording demos exceptionally easy for anyone.

Pros

Camtasia is extremely easy to get started with. The trial version is fully featured and time-limited. You have 30 days to try out the software. I wanted to record a demo which was fairly complicated and involved lots of different windows. After installing Camtasia, simply load up the software, arrange what you want to record, then press the record button. You can set an area for recording which is helpful when dealing with large displays. After finishing the recording, you can then spend the majority of your time editing the video. Camtasia is not as fully featured as Adobe Premiere, but for this use case it really doesn't need to be. Being able to splice video, add various effects (like speed up), and add audio is sufficient enough. I haven't looked into the more advanced features yet as the basic features are good enough for my needs. Lastly Camtasia enables you to export video in multiple formats and finely tune the size based on the video / audio quality.

Cons

The only gripe I have is that the yearly plan is somewhat pricey for me at $299 per user per year. However they do offer a free upgrade to the next version. And the renewal fee is reasonable at $50. Overall the ease of use is worth the license cost.

Jamie

It does most the things awsome.

Reviewed on 2024/04/22

It does what I need most of the time, and when I put in the effort to learn, almost all the time. I wish the audio part was not so expensive. I just need some basic audio editing. I hate having to export it edited in a free tool and then bring it back. I would like to stay in one tool.

Pros

It is easy to install and get up and running. I think some of the limits are from not spending time learning. Each time I goto a FREE training I learn a lot but I really need to invest more time into learning the software. I think my videos are getting a lot better.

Cons

It doers not import video from other sources very well. I have to use handbrake to reencode stuff, which sometimes does not even work. I don't know how to import a video shot on my iPhone. It used to work, but now I get a glitchy mess.

Zakaria
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

record and edit with the same software.

Reviewed on 2022/12/26

overall experience I would say that Camtasia is a time saver, easy to use, and nothing complicated about it

Pros

Camtasia has been a really common software for a long time, I always use it cause it's simple and easy to use, you can record your screen with high-quality video and audio. the thing that I liked most about it is that you can record and edit at the same time. The software has no bad impact on your computer performance, there are a lot of included useful features, such as transitions, animations, audio effects, visual effects, and a lot of good stuff. the software export the project with high quality

Cons

as a user, I would say Camtasia is being improved time by time, I haven't seen something strange at this time