Tabs3

Law practice management suite for law firms

Phil G.

The not so good Tabs

Reviewed on 2016/08/18

I have had Tabs since 2010, it is terrible. You purchase the program and then you constantly have to go back to customer service (tech dept.) and they want to hit you up for $200 per hour for tech help, as you can imagine that is absurd, expensive and terrible. They let you buy the product and make it seem like there is no additional cost, reality is that you better pay for the ongoing tech support because there are always errors and problems that need addressing, did I mention the $50 minimal charge or $200 per hour for tech help. I rarely was able to use the program, each time I tries there was some new error message and a need to seek out tech department, truly a terrible experience.

Pros

The software has a wide array of features and billing is nicely prints out in a very organized and concise format, it really does have a lot of detail and nice features.

Cons

It seems to always have some problem or error message on the rare instances when I actually needed it to do a billing for a client, nothing is worse than paying for a product and then having to waste time because it will not work and then get stuck paying extra by having to call and pay the tech department $200 per hour to help you figure out why their product does not work as it is promised and as it should from the start. How is it possible that the product regularly has error messages that are not resolvable without a call to the tech department. Very frustrating.

Response from Software Technology

I am sorry that Mr. Gunthert has not had a good experience. We have reached out to him to discuss the specific issues that he is having.

I did want to mention a few things related to the points that he brought up. To make sure clients get off to a good start, every purchase of Tabs3 includes a free year of maintenance, which includes both technical support and any product updates that come out during the year. After a year, the maintenance is optional. Many clients prefer that to being required to pay an annual fee.

Also, our technical support team gets very high marks. In our last client survey 96% of our clients said they were satisfied with the support that they received from our team. In that same survey, 9 out of 10 Tabs3 clients say they would recommend Tabs3 to other firms.

Kim Hanzl, Support Manager

Andree P.

High praise for Tabs3

Reviewed on 2020/11/16

Everything was exceptional. We were able to download and test the software for our particular needs prior to purchase.

Pros

Installation and use of Tabs3 have exceeded our expectations. Attys and staff quickly learned it and like the ability to see a graph of their hours daily. For me, the billing and reporting functions are great. Customer support is accessible, knowledgeable and a big help. Also, the Help query gives lots of good documentation and tips. We installed easily, ran into some snags in first month but were quickly addressed with help from customer support.

Cons

So far we haven't hit an obstacle with use of the software or getting information from it. Much more information and reporting available for us still to explore.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Andree, Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to leave such kind words! We appreciate it very much. If there's anything more we can do to help, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Becky V.
  • Industry: Law Practice

A little hard a first to learn . . .

Reviewed on 2020/10/28

It was difficult to learn initially. Our consultant spent a day with me in our office showing me how to use it. The difficult part is that some of our cases are billed electronically through a third party website. Learning how to do that was difficult. The other cases are billed normally, just by creating an invoice. That part is pretty simple once you learn the program. There are still several options in the program that I don't know how to use, or haven't needed yet.

Pros

Once it's figured out how to use it, it's basically pretty simple. It does have some confusing areas however. Trying to find the solution in the Help area is difficult at times as well. Tech Support is very helpful when needed, and patient if it takes awhile to explain exactly what your problem is.

Cons

We've only been using it a little over 1 year. It was a switch from Timeslips, which is very user friendly. There have been too many updates this year though. We have to use our IT company to install the updates, which gets expensive. The main 2020 update was installed, but then there have been I believe 3 since then. It shouldn't be necessary to have so many updates, unless they can be auto installed, like Microsoft does, etc. not involving IT assistance. Tech support can do it as well, but access to the company server is required to install them.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Becky, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! You're right that we release updates throughout the year--we're making changes and adding new features that we hope our users are excited about! We've changed the process so that not all updates have to be done on the server for our Platinum version, any updates that need to be run at the server will tell you when you go to Help | Check for Updates or when the installer is run. We hope this change will make it easier for you to keep up to date! Thanks again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Kandice B.

Great system for our Firm

Reviewed on 2017/02/02

Tabs3 is simple to use and fits our firm of 25 attorneys perfectly. It allows us to extract data as needed and to customize our reports with their report writer function. The support is top notch and resolves our issues quickly and correctly. We are very happy with the performance of Tabs3.

Pros

The software is easy to use. We can train new attorneys and staff members quickly and get them up and running with ease. The report writer allows us to customize our reports to our needs. The support is very helpful and always resolves our issues.

Cons

Some of the stock reporting doesn't go deep enough for a larger firm. We are on the cusp of the firm size I believe they are targeting. While we do have the report writer, it would be nice to have more of a dashboard setting as an overview to the health of your firm.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Thank you for the review, Kandice! We're glad to see that Tabs3 Software is helping your firm! We greatly appreciate your feedback on reports and have passed it on to our product team.
- Emily L., Senior Technical Support Representative

• Industry: Law Practice

Tabs is EASY to learn and EASY to use!

Reviewed on 2019/06/17

AMAZING. I love this software. It's the best account billing software that I've used in the legal field so far. When cost codes are needed for certain accounts they are easy to use and the reports that can be generated are very detailed.

Pros

I love how easy Tabs is to use and just like the name, all you have to do is TAB through the entire invoice. It's very easy to navigate and when you need to make changes it's super easy. The new design layout that was just unveiled is great! There are some new much-needed features that were updated and that makes it even better.

Cons

I don't like the fact that once you create an invoice and save it if you realize you messed up and put it under the wrong account number, you can't just fix it and delete it yourself. You need to contact an administrator with permissions to have it deleted, but I understand that's just a safety precaution and nothing really negative about the software itself. Otherwise, I haven't found any additional negative things about Tabs.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your comments very much. If there's anything we can do to help you, please let us know! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Louise R.

The Best

Reviewed on 2019/07/09

Tab3 Software answers all the needs of our firm. Their support group is top notch and you RARELY wait long for a technician. All of their techs are extremely knowledgeable and take the time to listen to your issue.

Pros

The integration is seamless and the Financial reports are the best; Trust accounting is perfect and will keep your State Bar very happy with the level of detail. Periodic upgrades are continually made available to the users to keep the product current as our industry and needs change. We do not use the document management "Practice Master" as another product was already in use in our office.

Cons

It seems many of the modifications are more driver to the Practice Management integration side. However since all originate within the different modules we are able to use those items that enhance our needs.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Louise, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your input and hope you'll be excited by the changes coming in our next version! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Angela F.
  • Industry: Legal Services

We've come a long way in two years

Reviewed on 2019/07/03

The largest problem we have been able to solve using Tabs3 is being able to apply our numerous client billing guidelines against all fee entries as they are being entered by the timekeepers into PracticeMaster.

Pros

I like the seamless integration and the cost.

Cons

The learning curve was much greater than expected. We had a week of onsite training after installation, and it was nowhere near enough. We ultimately had a weekly, sometimes daily, telephone conference with Tabs3 support and after four months of that, we finally had a good grasp on the terminology to be able to function within the program and make it work for us.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Angela, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate all the input we've gotten from you and Shana over the last couple of years. - Emily L., Software Trainer

Gwana M.

User Friendly

Reviewed on 2019/07/02

Pros

I have used the Tabs3 software for many years, and as I tell the assistants in the office, there isn't anything you can do in Tabs that I cannot fix! It is very user friendly. The report capabilities are awesome. The data is able to exported from the database and used to run special reports that my firm uses for month end.

Cons

The only issue that I currently have, is that you cannot look up statement numbers, unless you run a full Client Ledger report.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Gwana, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! It is possible to look up statement numbers in the payment entry screen depending on how your statements are numbered between clients, please contact Technical Support for more info. We appreciate your input very much! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Lucas R.

Tabs3 + Practice Master

Reviewed on 2019/07/16

Pros

The software really helps manage my practice. The functionality is great, customization is great, and customer service is great. Thus, it has the capability of doing nearly everything we desire.
The organization is perhaps my favorite feature. That, along with the search function, means that I can find anything I'm looking for: documents, emails, journal entries, phone calls, etc.
Further, being able to deal with my timer and work saves a lot of time.

Cons

With a greatly customizable software comes a steep learning curve.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Lucas, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate it very much! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Bryan M.

Tabs 3 is a great product for small to midsize law firms

Reviewed on 2019/11/12

Excellent experience. Great overall. No complaints. Great people to work with!

Pros

Intuitive. Easy to learn. Great technical support based in the United States. U.S. based company that is not owned by one of the giant legal industry firms. A network of consultants who are passionate about the product. Well thought out and tested updates.

Cons

Can't think of many. Support becomes mandatory to use the software beginning in 2020, but you'll want to pay for support to get updates and the excellent tech support

Beverly L.

Featurers/Use/User Friendly

Reviewed on 2017/02/02

I feel that Tabs needs to progress with more user friendly. Non-accounting employees have difficulty.
However, I do have an accounting background and would like more features regarding the following: Reports that have easy ability to exclude, categories and or/timekeepers. For example; the choice should all but.... WIP reports need to have an option to not include credit balances. A/R reports should have the option to exclude credit balances. The export to excel should be more like (in appearance) Quickbooks export to excel. Seems really old school. Need more customization. Trust accounting- needs a transfer payment to other account, needs editing like Tabs3 has and more reports cash receipts etc.

Pros

Time entry is great.

Cons

Reports and export of information

Shari S.

Tabs3 -- definitely #1

Reviewed on 2019/08/12

We use the whole package - except PracticeMaster. It's so easy to use and it just flows from one program to the other and to the other.

Pros

Our law firm has used Tabs3 for years and years --- I've been here 32 years and it's the only program I've ever used here. It's great and easy to use. And the customer service folks are #1 too!

Cons

Nothing -- I think it's great. Everything works well together.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Shari, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate hearing your feedback. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Jeffrey W.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Refused to learn program at old firm!

Reviewed on 2019/07/02

This program takes care of ALL my financials from billing to accounts payable, vendors, tax statements and general ledger programs.

Pros

Everything! Both prior firms I was with used this software and I chose not to learn it. Once out on my own, it was a very user friendly and intuitive product.

Cons

When I create my own problem within the program! Good news is awesome technical support team always rescues me!

Response from Tabs3 Software

Jeffrey, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate your input very much! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Sandra B.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Best time and billing software

Reviewed on 2020/11/12

Pros

The tech support is fabulous. The software is not only excellent for time and billing but is excellent at tracking receipts collected by timekeeper, practice area, origination, etc.

Cons

Not sure, I've been using TABS for so long and have recommended it to several colleagues over the years, I find it very easy to use and could not live without the report capabilities.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Sandra, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate hearing from you. Thank you for giving us such a glowing recommendation! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Lynn D.

TABS REVIEW LMD RMW 2-2-17

Reviewed on 2017/02/02

I like the product! There are a few things that I would like to see added....such as: why doesn't it generate the 1096 form? it prints the 1099 report and forms, but then I need to manually generate the 1096 to the IRS.

Pros

integration with modules

Cons

doesn't print the 1096 form ; every accounts payable entry interfaces with TABS 3 - and not every AP invoice needs to be interfaced with a client invoice - why isn't here a way to by-pass this?; inability to highlight items on an invoice - on a case-by-case basis, i.e. high light amount due

Meichell W.

Good Product

Reviewed on 2020/12/10

Pros

This is a very good product for a small firm. User friendly and very easy to learn.

Cons

I would prefer lower cost to add individuals to Platinum to allow for time entry on phones.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Meichell, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We do have options to add more people to Connect without adding users to PracticeMaster--if you're interested, reach out to Sales and ask about Tabs3 Connect for Billing! Thanks again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

David S.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Product and company you can count on

Reviewed on 2019/07/02

Pros

The Price was reasonable and the software is stable and reliable.

Cons

PM is Difficult and expensive to use in the cloud. Will not work on VPN.

Response from Tabs3 Software

David, Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! There are some options for cloud usage, however you're correct in that we don't recommend VPN in a lot of situations for performance reasons. If you need to discuss options, Support would be happy to help. - Emily L., Software Trainer

Apryl S.

Functional and Easy to Use

Reviewed on 2020/01/22

Overall, have managed time better with the ease to use and organization of the program

Pros

Well organized and east o find what you are looking for. One stop for all your needs.

Cons

If invoices unpaid, all the invoices print.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Apryl, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We're glad Tabs3 is helping you keep on top of your work. In newer versions of the software, we've made Tabs3 even easier to navigate and added several great new features to make your day even easier. We hope you'll take a look at Version 2020! Thank you again! - Emily L., Software Trainer

Alan F.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Best time and billing software for Solo's

Reviewed on 2019/08/21

Pros

The ease of setting up and the simplicity of the screens and their applicability to the actual goal of capturing time and billing it.

Cons

I have no complaints with the software.
I think the help files could be a little more robust using natural language searches.

Response from Tabs3 Software

Alan, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We're working on redesigning the Help for our next version, keep an eye out for those changes! If we can do anything else to help, please let us know. - Emily L., Software Trainer

Renea M.

Tabs review

Reviewed on 2019/02/21

Pros

The upgraded version 19 is now very user friendly and provides more information at your fingertips.

Cons

Difficult to manage multiple accounts in the program.

Donna B.

Certified Reseller Tabs3 Review

Reviewed on 2015/04/21

Tabs3 as a time and billing software is easy to setup and easy to use. The Tabs3 software is versatile in the delivery and layout to the client so you can meet your client's requirements. From solo law firms to large insurance defense firms, your billing requirements are met. The electronic billing requirements required for insurance defense firms are easily generated with Tabs3 and a another module called Task Bill.

The customer support is the best on the market. The hold times are minimal and you have knowledgeable personnel when they answer.

The integration with PracticeMaster is seamless. The integration is great with its General Ledger and Trust modules for those needs. The integration with QuickBooks if also very good, if your accountant prefers QuickBooks. The web connection in its Platinum version make time entry from any place with internet connection very easy.

I highly recommend Tabs3 billing software.

Lisa S.

Great software from a local company

Reviewed on 2017/02/14

I've used TABS software for more than 20 years, and have always been very pleased with the software, tech support, and the company (which is local for me). Integration between TABS, General Ledger, Trust Account and Accounts Payable keeps everything in balance and virtually eliminates posting errors. The ability to generate and customize just about any report I can imagine gives me exactly what I need without having to pick through irrelevant information. I highly recommend the software and the company!

Don G.

Using Tabs3 for 9 years - its GOOD!

Reviewed on 2015/04/22

I have been using this product for 9 years now. You can use it almost out of the box, but as with any program with a wide range of features, leaning it well allows you to get the most out of the program. E-mailng bills is probably my favorite feature, with the drill-down capability in the draft bill to the underlying billing record probably my second. These two features have changed my billing from hours to minutes.

Paul P.

Best billing and accounting software out there, hands down

Reviewed on 2015/04/20

I have been working with Tabs3 since 1985 (yes, they had computers back then), and it has consistently been the leader in billing for law firms. I've never wavered in my opinion, because they've never wavered in their ease of use, strong feature set, and outstanding support.

Tricia M.

Can't say enough

Reviewed on 2015/04/14

User friendly product that has fantastic customer service and training.