Webdam Reviews

Webdam

Organize & connect content driving impactful experiences

4.5/5 (137 reviews)
Jason C.

Webdam, our college-wide photo management system

Reviewed on 2019/10/15

The overall experience selecting, implementing and using Webdam has been a good one for us - it serves our needs and although the company has changed hands a few times, they continue to innovate.

Pros

It's great at storing and managing massive amounts of assets, specifically for us: photos. Not only do we store thousands of professional photos taken each school year, we use this tool to house the hundreds of thousands of archival photos that we have scanned in going back many decades.

Cons

We regularly run out of cloud storage space and need to re-up our overall storage amount as well as our deep freeze Glacier amounts of storage for archival photos.

Gayla W.

Built For Sucess

Reviewed on 2017/03/29

Bynder is a great tool - since it is built to your specific needs, there is a lot of thought that goes into the up front to ensure it's success and user-friendly. Bynder's DAM module empowers our marketers to be able to find things on their own, see the brand guidelines, and know what is already "brand approved" in one place. By having featured collections, we can present new and interesting materials that others may not know about in an easy to find way that gets the new assets in our stakeholders hands more quickly than ever before.

Bynder's Workflow module is intuitive and easy it is for our stakeholders and legal teams to review, annotate and provide feedback in a timely manner to our creative team. It has greatly improved our communication and efficiency working on projects.

Pros

With one central location for people to find files, guidelines, images and inquire about projects, we are much more efficient in providing people what they need, and ensuring brand compliance. Having Collections and the file send feature is extremely helpful. We also use workflfow, so Bynder collectively allows us to be nimble in our creative development and asset management.

Cons

I wish the workflow tool integrated better with the DAM.

Bryan C.

Great product, excellent people!

Reviewed on 2011/12/21

This is a DAM excellent product and is supported by a fantastic, responsive DAM staff. I highly recommend working with the folks at WebDAM for anyone interested in sustainably managing, or wanting to improve access to, their collection of digital materials!

P.S. a small note about (webdam)/admin/keywords.php:
"A keyword list enforces consistently throughout your asset library. By using a keyword list, your administrators will be presented with the list to choice from when adding keywords from the Edit Captions page. If you had previously uploaded a keyword list, you will have the option to append your new keywords or replace the previous list.(Seperate keywords and phrases by comma and/or a newline)"

*consistently = consistency
*choice = choose
*Seperate = Separate
*newline = new line

Pros

WebDAM is an excellent product with a lot of potential. It is powerful, robust and configurable for most any set of circumstances in which it is used. Your support and customer service staff are absolutely wonderful! The webinars I've attended have been excellent and pertinent. Managing user access to specific folders/assets based on group membership is a fantastic custom option. This system has everything we were looking for in a Digital Asset Management system.

Cons

Parts of the interface are cumbersome. Sometimes it's too many clicks from here to there, sometimes it's just not easy to find the function: in training I've conducted thus far, I have had 3 people ask "How do I move files around? Can I drag and drop?" Managing users (folders maybe?), editing metadata on assets, viewing folder and asset data could all stand some improvement, but the functionality remains.
We've been experiencing some odd locking up issues as well. This seems to be related to the auto-logout function (it would be nice if the local administrator could set that auto-logout length of time). When it locks up, only restarting the browser returns functionality. **Have experienced this in Safari & Firefox on Mac OS

Jenn S.

Highly versatile interface and GREAT product!

Reviewed on 2017/04/11

We have pushed BrandConnect "to the limit" a few times, and have experienced nothing but positive customer service and a "what can we do to make this happen?" attitude from the WebDAM team. They continue to evolve the interface so that it is becoming a fully-customizable portal, which is adaptable for different client needs. Dynamic Templates are the perfect way to allow users to customize marketing collateral, while still maintaining the approved messaging and Brand attributes we need, as well as Legal and regulatory requirements. Users have easy, organized access to all approved materials, and can customize and download from anywhere at any time - on their schedules! This has been a game-changer for us as a marketing tool and I look forward to leveraging all the enhancements they have on this year's roadmap. I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars for features only because these have not yet been released but the fact that they are working on the updates and that this product will soon surpass all our expectations is AWESOME!

Pros

Versatility, all the main features we need

Cons

It isn't COMPLETELY customizable yet, but it is on the roadmap so that isn't even really a valid "con" - I had to search for one, because I love this platform and this vendor.

Response from Webdam

Thanks for your detailed review Jenn. Great to hear we¿ve been a game-changer for your team! We definitely have some awesome features and products launching this year, we hope they exceed your expectations.

Lesley M.

Good product that is helping us make the most of our digital assets globally

Reviewed on 2017/08/02

Enhanced collaboration and sharing of digital assets across our global organisation. Ability to keep all our digital assets in one place and organised and tagged to improve searchability and usage. It also allows us to run reports to see how material is being used and who is using it.

Pros

Simple to use, intuitive, helpful customer support and Bynder continue to provide enhancements and new functionality to improve our experience. It has been a big benefit to our organisation and enabled us to combine two separate digital asset libraries into one effective global system allowing all our teams across the globe to share and collaborate.

Cons

When we reviewed the market we found no one DAM product was an exact match for our needs by Bynder definitely came the closest. We would like more push notification functionality and also stop/start uploads for times where internet connection is patchy in some of the areas where we operate but we know Bynder is continuing to assess and develop new things on their roadmap

Intuitive system -works great.

Reviewed on 2018/07/12

It's much easier for sales reps to find the content they need, rather than asking me for files multiple times per day. I love that you don't have to slog through folders - you can mix and match tags/filters to find exactly what you want in very little time. It's also been great to have public links to the files (if desired) to send them out to people outside of the company, like prospects.
Way, way better than Dropbox... there's also rudimentary tracking features which could be improved but already have come a long way in the 2 years we've had the system.

Pros

It is very easy to find what you need, and it's really easy to train new employees on it - I basically tell them it's like searching on Amazon. It's a huge upgrade from the folder-based system we were using before (Dropbox). I really like that if an asset needs to be updated, you only have to upload the new version to one place.
Our client service rep is also wonderful.

Cons

It was a slog to get the system fully implemented. I suppose that's the case with any digital asset management system, though. It is also pretty expensive for what seems like relatively simple software.

Kristin G.

Making the most of Webdam

Reviewed on 2017/04/11

I've been working with Webdam for the past 6 months and have received great customer service from Chris Marshall. In those 6 months, our organization activated our Brand Connect site and Chris was very helpful in making that happen. The ease of editing at the parent folder level is great. The only issue that I've experienced has been when I submit tickets that are never answered.

Pros

Brand Connect, Ease of editing

Cons

Search function - seems very old school

Response from Webdam

Thanks for recognizing our CSM, Chris! Glad you¿re enjoying working with him as well as Brand Connect.

Apologies for the unanswered tickets, we try to get to all tickets in a timely manner. If this happens in the future, please don¿t hesitate to escalate your issue to your CSM so we can get it resolved quickly. Additionally our help site, www.damsuccess.com, may be useful also.

Ron G.

Functionality vs Speed

Reviewed on 2018/12/17

We are using Bynder as a digital assets manager to share images, campaign tools, and videos to our internal teams, dealers, distributors, and media associates. So far our outside visitors who use Bynder have found very few issues with the tool. However, others have found the interface daunting and difficult. We have had made huge concessions to our homepage to funnel visitors to our Bynder site forgoing many of the features.

Pros

I have grown to like Bynder's filter system and understand its power in finding assets quickly.

Cons

1. There are always issues with load time and responsiveness.
2. Setting up permission levels and functionality is a real chore. Maybe it is our needs, but the initial setup was not well-explained.

Ernest K.

Unlimited Features and Customization, Great Support

Reviewed on 2018/12/04

We came from manually coding our seasonal assets to a landing page for our dealers and distributors. It was a great experience for them but far too much time and effort to maintain. We Then migrated to an FTP solution that saved us a ton of time each season to upload assets but was an awful experience for our dealers. Upon researching DAM systems we came upon Bynder. We were drawn to them based on the branded experience and the ability to make it feel Ruffwear and not another generic file sharing platform. In the first 6 months the number of process improvements and ideas that have come about based on Bynder's abilities is amazing.

Pros

The amount of customization and branding combined with the features available are incredible. The on-boarding was organized and efficient. Post support, success manager is great to work with. The continuous improvements every month to the platform show the commitment to evolving the platform.

Cons

Due to the amount of features and customizations it can be a bit overwhelming unless you are in the system using it daily.

Dennis G.

Webdam is an image and asset repository online.

Reviewed on 2017/12/30

Great image asset manager that allows teams to share assets and control access to those assets company-wide.

Pros

It let's you share assets with a team or company. I was the admin (in my previous position) for a Webdam install for about 300 users at a university. The assets can be available to all or you can share them with granular permissions. You can store images, videos, documents and other types of files.

Cons

The permissions were tricky to setup and sometimes had to be setup numerous times to actually work. The search was also a bit tricky to get good results.

Excellent Asset Manager

Reviewed on 2019/01/10

Pros

The browser intergration is smooth and easy to use, allowing drag and drop and other useful features. The custom API abilities are very nice too.

Cons

Lacks a few key features you would expect to present in any DAM like cut and paste of assets, searchability of folder names, a trash can. The biggest downside to me is that if a feature is not working properly, like default sort order not saving for half our users, the solution has to be voted on to be determined important enough to be worked on. This can leave major functionality missing and features not working while you wait for months if not years for a possible fix that's not even guaranteed.

Caroline M.

Bynder was the best thing that happened to our department in 2018

Reviewed on 2018/12/17

It's when the division president drops by -- in person -- asking for photos of a project and you are able to pull them up almost instantly and email the proper size to him inside of 5 minutes. Makes you look like a hero and an organized one to boot.

Pros

At last, the photos, proposals, documents, style guides, presentations...(you get the pciture) are all in one place and searchable down to the last period and exclamation point.

Cons

The database works hard to deliver our search results, but we always expect more and faster results would be heaven. And one other thing, the wait to see new assets after posting can be agonizing. Particularly if you have additional files to upload with it.

Brigitte B.

Easy place-it, easy find-it.

Reviewed on 2017/04/11

WebDam is very friendly user. We have a multitude of users from various groups with different needs and capabilities. WebDam allows us to put security in place so we do not share our intellectual properties with just everyone.

Pros

Drag and drop to upload assets

Cons

The light box is cumbersome. The assets needs to stay in there until they are downloaded from the people we share with but WebDam wont alert us when the files are actually downloaded by the end user.

Response from Webdam

Thanks Brigitte! Glad to see Webdam is helping you keep your content secure.

Regarding your feedback on lightboxes, have you tried watching those particular assets or checking the download reports? If neither accommodate to your workflows, contact your CSM for additional help.

Kathryn W.

Good Overall Product - Needs Continuous Improvement

Reviewed on 2019/01/10

The help-team is generally really responsive at the onset. But once the ticket has to go to engineering or product, I don't get any follow up on where my ticket stands or projected timelines for solving said problem.

Pros

Overall I like this product, I think it's generally user friendly for me as the admin. I find it easy to organize my assets and my users.

Some of the reasons I find it cumbersome are because users within my organization are asking the system to do things that it's not capable of. (ie, using it more as a shareable dropbox as opposed to a directory of assets)

Cons

...that said... I find myself having to put in tickets to fix or implement things that feel like they should already be a part of the integration. For example, I asked the system to kick out a report. Within webdam, the report pulled up 4,000 assets that fit the criteria I searched for. However, when I kicked out the excel file, it only showed the first 1,000. What's the point of reporting if I can't see the whole report?

Also, my department established a process in webdam for Regular users and it worked for a year or so and then suddenly stopped working due to changes made in the system. It's currently being sorted out now, but it was a frustrating discovery.

Caitlin F.

Great product that grows with your company

Used Weekly for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2018/12/17

Overall we've had a great experience with Bynder. We've been able to steadily grow and the new features they have added and improved have also improved our work streams.

Pros

The people at Bynder are great. The process of building our product was seamless and our contact always get back to us quickly with answers to our miscellaneous questions. They were also willing to customize the product to fit our needs and willing to grow with us, given we are a small organization but growing rapidly.

Cons

There are some features that I wish were robust. For example, the Guidelines feature is quite limited in formatting and is not as user friendly as the portal. Another example - we'd love to be able to check multiple filters at once. The photo cropping tool was also quite limited but Bynder recently made improvements to this. Another cool feature about Bynder; they listen to feedback and are constantly improving the product.

Travis R.

Learning and loving this DAM software

Reviewed on 2017/05/26

Our teams save time, energy, and frustration on a daily basis.

Pros

We love WebDAM's ability to organize and display our marketing team's assets. They are searchable and there are so many flexible options for downloading, sharing, and collaborating. WebDAM is more flexible to our needs than I ever expected it would be.

Cons

There is a lot to learn to make this software work for your needs, but anyone who has served as an admin for this should expect that. The Brand Portal is awesome but more difficult to implement. I wish there was a bit more support around that.

Jason W.

I love WebDAM and so do all of my users

Reviewed on 2018/01/22

brings all of our assets together under one system and allow access to all users across the company

Pros

Sharing directly from the system is amazing, along with folder permissions this makes the system extremely powerful

Cons

sometimes the functionality does not always work reporting and uploading tends to go in and out and when a new version is added to the system any previous sharing links contain the old asset

Jade J.

A day in life of WebDam

Reviewed on 2019/01/11

My overall experience with WebDam/Bynder has been great. The customer service is outstanding ... I mean they go above and beyond what I could ask for. So professional and helpful.

Pros

What initially attracted me to WebDam was the low cost and functionality.

Cons

The one thing that I like least about WebDam is that folders cannot be dragged and dropped into the upload window and that they don't appear in searches.

Arjun N.

WebDAM for Root Capital

Reviewed on 2011/12/21

WebDAM has been extremely effective in cataloging our vast library of images and even more effective in terms of the ease with which we can extract those images and the data associated with them such as names, dates, locations, industries etc which we use a lot in our storytelling function. The customer service has been nothing less than fantastic. So thank you for this highly recommendable product!

Pros

WebDAM has greatly increased the ease with which we catalog and use images associated with our work in many ways
- Vast storage space which reduces the need for filtration of images
- Well organized folder system with activation options
- Metadata allows us to catalog information along with every image for story development purposes
- Different download sizes for web or print purposes
- Lightbox system allows us to share images easily for internal and external purposes.
- WebDAM's versatility also allows us to store design files and collateral files for downloading by staff members.
- AMAZING customer service! Prompt responses on service calls and high quality and regularly scheduled webinars.

Cons

The only con I think of with the current version of the software (that we purchased) is that it does not have an inbuilt media player to play video files. I have been informed that this is something that can be incorporated into the package.

Review for Bynder

Reviewed on 2019/01/11

Pros

Ease of use to manage digital assets
Integrations with Drupal and other third party software
Ability to manage users and permissions
Keyword searching
Load time and speeds
Customer service

Cons

Sometimes glitchy features
Lack of full customization on front-facing brand guidelines page
New features are slow to employ

George G.

Easy and capable Digital Asset Management tool

Reviewed on 2018/07/25

Continuous improvement. it's replaced Evernote and Dropbox for my digital asset management.

Pros

For years I've struggle with a huge Evernote trove of assets or multiple Dropbox folders. Bynder has replaced all that. Very clean database. Just the right amount of categories and tags to provide organization without requiring an extensive dictionary. And Thumbnails that are big enough to see and take action against. Also, you can share files with colleagues and customers very easily.

Cons

There's nothing I actually dislike... perhaps I'd like better frontpage control over which categories are displayed by default. No bigee.

Bynder

Reviewed on 2019/01/08

Overall, working as a contributor to a large Bynder database has been a mixed bag. Some of the upload processes and interface choices are a bit frustrating. But in general, it's a stable platform that gets the job done in helping large organizations share assets.

Pros

At its best, Bynder makes it easy to find and share resources within a large team. The interface is generally friendly and easy to navigate.

Cons

I wish there were better upload options for assigning photo metadata to fields within Bynder or auto-tagging assets based on metadata. The 'related assets' feature is often confusing and file versions could be displayed in a much more friendly way. Pricing seems a bit high compared to other solutions.

Alex N.

Excellent DAM system

Reviewed on 2013/09/18

Been using WebDAM for a couple of years now and love it. Helped us consolidate our product and beauty photography and other marketing assets into a single place and saved a ton of money and time. Previously, we had multiple agencies and marketing staff across multiple global business units continually looking for photos. Agency requests were expensive and time consuming, often for the same images. Now everyone can get to the same repository for the latest product and beauty shots. No more need for multiple copies all over the organization and we can see at a glance all the latest photos. Great search engine too.

Pros:
Very cost effective and scalable. Easy to use interface on both front end and back end, powerful meta tagging and search. Like the ability to set up permissions and give discrete access to certain assets for different groups and users. Also ability to download smaller size JPGs from high res source images. Company is actively improving their system and recent changes are making it easier to use and more powerful.

Cons:
Began as an image management tool so the workflow is still geared toward images. Not using it for managing all our digital source files (i.e. InDesign source with links). We are beginning to put video files in our WebDAM system, but there's still some work to be done on video management.

Not really a pro or con, but setting up all the proper meta data is a major task if you haven't already done so. But once you do get all your tagging and taxonomy in place, the system gets even more powerful.

Heather O.

Bynder / WebDAM

Reviewed on 2019/05/07

From the beginning they have went above and beyond to make sure we have been happy and that we get the system working for us.

Pros

Everything about having this software has been awesome. We like the Customer Service the most.

Cons

There are a few things/features that we wish it could do but it just doesn't do it...yet.

WebDAM - A Bynder Product

Reviewed on 2019/01/10

Having been a WebDAM user for the past 5+ years, we have really relied on the software for all of our digital asset needs for our marketing department and for the entire organization.

Pros

We were early adopters to onboard WebDAM and the solution has met our need. It allows us to organize, tag, download, save lightboxes for projects, search, expire old photos with ease. The pricing is aligned with their competitors so it's a competitive software solution for anyone to explore!

Cons

For us, they are only minor - being able to embed metadata within the photo through WebDAM and integrated plug-ins for Adobe CC. Not a deal breaker but certainly would help!