Widen Collective

Digital asset management with service beyond compare

Levi D.
  • Industry: Sports

Widen Media Collective (DAM) Review

Reviewed on 2019/10/07

Pros

Its searchable content. As long as metadata is used, searching for assets is relatively easy.

Cons

Upload process. The Drag/Drop feature was nice! Now I'm forced to go through a wizard. Too time consuming for my liking.

Kara B.
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Impressive DAM with great customer support

Reviewed on 2021/03/22

Implementation with Widen was so smooth and the Widen team was knowledgeable and helpful. They broke down the implementation process into manageable steps and answered all questions we had in a timely manner. Our users find it so much more user-friendly than our old DAM!

Pros

We love portals! We may be even using them more than intended - we find that portals are the most user-friendly way to surface the right assets to our users!

Cons

We do have some features that we'd like improved or added, but Widen is all about customer feedback, so I feel heard when I make new feature requests.

Kala H.

Widen Collective

Reviewed on 2010/11/30

The Digital Asset System was put in place to provide easy access to assets owned by Trek Bicycle Corporation for those internally and externally. These assets can be ordered and downloaded at any time of day or night. It's an invaluable tool for our dealers, distributors, and international offices.
'
The Media Template is an online ad, and media builder. It allows Trek to control brand consistency, while it allows our users to build media in minutes using pre-approved images and text without the need of expensive software programs. We use this portion of the site to provide promotional items and in store signage to our large dealer base.

Overall, I think the Widen collective is a great product and I really enjoy working with Widen.

Pros

Good customer support
Robust reporting features
Assets can be downloaded in a variety of file formats
Various types of file formats are supported
Permissions can be setup to protect assets
Users can access the site through a standard web browser
Media can be built in minutes without needing expensive software programs
Assets/media can be ordered and downloaded at any time of day or night
Software updates made throughout the year

Cons

Pages can be slow to load at times
Reporting tools can be confusing
Custom enhancements to the site can be expensive
Some education is needed for new users of the site
The site is not setup for printing on demand
Home page can be confusing if your site includes the DAM and the media builder

Alain D.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

The only Digital Asset Manager you'll need

Reviewed on 2020/09/08

I've had a great experience with Widen. I can easily upload assets of all types. Tagging them, filling out the metadata, and putting longform descriptions in each asset makes it really easy for people to find what they are looking for. It also helps me keep track on similar image types, or batches of uploads.

Pros

We use Widen as an asset manager, giving our teams easy access to photos, videos, and illustrative elements. As the administrator, I can create different user accounts, letting some people have more access than others if they need it. I can also provide third-party contractors access to our resources too.

Cons

The admin side can be a little bit tricky to navigate, and it would be nice as the administrator to be able to change my view settings to spoof different levels of access, so I can quickly see what kinds of access my users have and make changes or alterations without needing to create multiple accounts for myself.

Amanda P.

Widen has changed the way I work

Reviewed on 2010/06/10

Overall I would definitely recommend Widen to any company that has a large amount of photo files that they need to store and easily be able to send to others, either internally or externally.

Pros

Widen is a fairly easy and efficient way to store, archive, and distribute photographic files. In the year that I have been using Widen, it has changed the way I work. Now when I receive a request for a specific photo, I don't have to resize it and make sure it is the appropriate size to fit into an email. I just choose the file I want, send it to the recipient and they download it directly from the site instead of through e-mail. This is especially helpful to those who are always battling an in-box size limit! It has also made it easier to work off-site. Say I am out of the office on assignment or home sick. If I see a request come in, I can log onto Widen from anywhere and send the requests files out at any time! The search features also work great for us. Users throughout the university can now directly search for whatever type of photo they are looking for instead of requesting it through our department by phone or email.

Cons

Though I love Widen there have been a few minor issues we have encountered. The first is that it is a little hard to understand at the beginning. The back end of the program seems complicated to a new user. However, we have now figured everything out and so this really is no longer an issue for us. The other issue I sometimes run into is that the processing can be a bit slow. There are times when I upload my files and then cannot see the previews of my files for quite some time. This can be a problem when I am trying to identify people in the photograph to add their names to the keywords. The only way around this currently is to be patient and go work on something else for a while.

Richard C.
  • Industry: Chemicals
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Widen is a company that delivers a great product with great customer service

Reviewed on 2017/08/28

We store digital assets on the system for company wide collaboration, we also started using the Media Collective as a web host for external forward facing websites. Widen makes it easy for us to accomplish these tasks as painlessly as possible.

Pros

The Media Collective software is easy to use and is easy to configure. If you need some help there is an extensive online help library full of things which can help you, but if you need to talk to someone directly you can web chat, email or call. The help associates are always very friendly and will work with you to understand and fix the issues that you're having.

Cons

I guess I don't like the fact that it's not free? I had to put something in this space. If it was free it would definitely be better however that's probably not a sustainable scenario for Widen.

Gus R.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Widen is fast and efficient. It's responsive with search and downloading assets.

Reviewed on 2017/08/17

Pros

Speed.
Since the beginning we've upload thousands of images and added hundreds of users across our company and partners. It has not slowed down with all of the added weight and burden. It's still as snappy and responsive searching for assets in the beginning. Narrowing the search results and downloading images is very quick.

Cons

Support.
The support could be better. There has been times, not in a while, when it goes down, just like any cloud service. But it seems the first line of support are the on-site admins. It's a problem when they are not in the office. There's not an easy way to contact support when needed. There should be a chat feature to let them know when we are experiencing outages and get the issues solved.

Valerie D.

Widen Collective Review

Reviewed on 2012/11/21

I would definitely recommend Widen to those familiar with DAM as well as those who are just starting out. The Widen team is also a great group to work with from start to finish and are there for you every step of the way, even for a company like ours that have been using Widen's services for over 7 years now.

Pros

I have been very pleased with using Widen for our DAM tool. Their support team is phenomenal! Anytime I have a question or issue, they respond immediately and are very helpful to get to the bottom of any issue I might be having, or explain a feature I may not be knowledgeable in. Their entire team is always looking for ways to improve the tool based on user feedback and suggestions. It's great to have a company so open to what the users are saying.

I have also found that the tool itself has been great in meeting our DAM needs. By building out a thorough and intuitive organization structure through categories, asset groups and metadata, we have been able to greatly increase the use of our tool and have received numerous compliments on the improvements. That along with Widen's new interface launched in 2012, the collective is now a much more user friendly and intuitive tool for both users and administrators alike.

Cons

My only complaint at this time is that the "Send File" feature has been discontinued with the launch of the new interface. I believe our company may have been one of the few groups that used the tool fairly often, and were sad to see the feature go. We hope to be able to find a solution either with Widen or with an outside service in order to send large files directly to another user without having to have the asset 'live' in the DAM tool.

Deana B.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Excellent software

Reviewed on 2019/09/24

Our agency works with many clients, but only my client uses Widen Collective. I am the envy of the creative team since I can easily find any image I need.

Pros

What I like most about this software is that I can easily see the newest items that have been added to the collective. The search tool also works really well for finding specific items.

Cons

The most challenging part of using this software is that apparently the administrator that adds items to the collective is not required to add all the meta tags that would help users find what they need easily. I don't think it's a fail on the part of the software but maybe if adding all meta tags were required it would make searching easier.

Jason K.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

I am a digital asset manager for my company, which uses Widen.

Reviewed on 2018/01/18

Many time-saving features in asset searching and sharing both within my organization and externally with customers.

Pros

What I like most about Widen is that they are very open to receiving feedback and improving the software based off of user comments. They host annual events to bring other clients together to share ideas and knowledge of how their users work in the software. All of the Widen staff is available for comments.

Cons

What I like least about Widen is that all of the connectors and API's that help integrate our DAM into other business platforms, such as Salesforce, Sharepoint, CreativeCloud come with an additional annual fee.

Rachael H.
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Must Have Marketing Tool

Reviewed on 2019/08/05

We are able to quickly and easily share digital assets with customers, coworkers, etc. all in one spot. We no longer have to search through a messy drive to find product images, marketing materials and more.

Pros

Widen staff was there to help us every step of the way and the overall functionality of our site is top notch because of it. My team is able to quickly find marketing materials with just a few clicks, saving us time and money.

Cons

There really isn't a single thing that I truly dislike about the site, but it would be ideal to be able to view brochures and catalogs as e-catalogs on Widen.

Jenna J.

Accessible and Organized

Reviewed on 2019/09/24

I design marketing emails primarily. I work with a merchandiser who sends me products and she often times sends links to widen photo downloads that I can use in my emails. It is a super easy way to complete design projects.

Pros

I like that Widen is an easy way to find assets. It is helpful for a large company--because everyone knows where to find the assets that they need. It is easy for all employees to get to--IT does not have to come and install it--it is just an internet login.

Cons

I do not like how sometimes it is hard to find things with searches. I know that this has to do with the upload metadata and probably is related to user error. Perhaps if there was a more automated way to add search criteria when uploading, this wouldn't be an issue.

Before, I was lost. Now I have found...my assets. Great tool/ great people

Reviewed on 2017/11/28

Gee, it makes work easier.

We have dealers and marketing teams around the world. This makes distributing those assets not a pain in the ass. Also, WAY less questions than before we implemented about 'where is is this asset?'

It rules.

Pros

The customer experience team and help desk teams are great and make you feel like a real person instead of a cog in the giant machine of software life. The portals. The PORTALS! Portals rule. They really do. Best way to organize brand stuff.

Cons

I'm waiting for workflow to become even more robust for it to become a Workfront killer. Which I hope that it does.

Rob Y.

Widen is what our department needed

Reviewed on 2015/11/29

I'm part of a small, internal corporate video team. We have presenters around the world who often need access to some of our video assets on short notice. They used to have to contact us, and we would have to drop what we were doing to send a file to them. Now they can just log on to Widen and easily find what they need.

Quick note about what kind of company this is: A few weeks after we first joined Widen, we asked our representative if a certain feature existed (sorry, I don't remember exactly what it was'it was something that would make things easier for some of our users). He said no, it doesn't, but he would suggest it to the development team. Just a few days later he called us back to let us know that he had talked to the development team and they were going to incorporate that feature into the next release, which was just a few weeks away from launching. Great news! So here is a company of people who listen to their customers and genuinely want us to have a good experience.

The interface is easy to use, I like the upload wizard, I like uploading new versions of items--the asset's url stays the same. The only 'con' I can think of is that there was a bit of a learning curve at first to figure out how to, for example, send one or more assets to someone to download (not just view). For the most part, it's intuitive to use but plan to spend at least a few minutes familiarizing yourself with it when you first use it.

We looked at other DAM products out there as well (don't remember their names). If anyone else out there is looking for a good DAM system, this is what worked for us. I could see it working for a large corporation or even a business like ours of ~130 people (plus over 100 presenters and international associates). The best value, best features, best customer service, a perfect fit. Thanks.

Jessica B.

The best product and service on the market

Reviewed on 2017/11/21

Pros

The ability to organize and share digital assets from all across our global company into one central location has been incredible. It empowers our employees to quickly find the approved assets that they need.

Cons

Honestly, it's hard to come up with something. Everything about Widen from the software to the people is fantastic. If I were to pick something...it might be that there are so many options for customization, that I wish I had 2 days to just sit and go through each one. Unfortunately, I'm too busy to do this, so I just ask my CXM how to do something and he quickly responds to an email, same day.

Jon J.

Efficient and convenient way to maximize the use of our digital assets.

Reviewed on 2017/11/28

Pros

The cloud-based system is very convenient, as is the level of customization for our specific needs. Very easy to upload, access and share photos and video clips with anyone we want, all in a secure environment.

Cons

Properly tagging uploaded assets can take some time, and while it's not the software's fault, the time commitment to maximize our use of the DAM system is the biggest issue we have to manage on an ongoing basis.

Tegan B.

Best in Class

Reviewed on 2019/09/24

Pros

Our organization has been using Widen for a year and it has transformed the way we share information both internally and with our external business partners. The system makes it easy to load and maintain content. Unlike our former proprietary system which was prone to system errors, Widen makes uploading, sharing, and downloading content easy. Widen has truly been one of the most impactful changes to our internal communication over the past year and I am looking forward to continue increasing our use as a company. Thanks for everything Widen!

Cons

One area for improvement would be increasing the variety of image types that can be downloaded from our image collection.

David B.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Great customer service, early communication around big and small changes, the best DAM tool we...

Reviewed on 2017/11/28

Reliability of asset storage, access anywhere, share multiple assets in many different outputs with ease.

Pros

It's the one place for all content to live and get shared out across multiple platforms. Support for project management (through Workflow) and creative implementation (through Adobe CC Connector) enhances our productivity and helps us get our jobs done faster.

Cons

The software seems sluggish and lags when you want it to go fast. File processing and scrolling through assets is where I've noticed this the most. The uploading process also needs to be cleaned up and more inviting to users.

Jen R.

Widen has been great software to catalog our images and b-roll.

Reviewed on 2017/11/28

Pros

Sending and finding images has never been easier. Customer service is amazing and helped me tremendously when setting up my companies DAM.

Cons

We have a different use case than most because most of the time we are sending media outside of our organization. Widen collects emails when items are downloaded, but we are not able to get the data. I know they are working on this and we look forward to this update.

Andrea D.

Widen Collective always reliable

Reviewed on 2016/12/13

I have been using Widen collective since 2008 and I have always been happy with the software. It's an easy way to send high-resolution photos and videos to our clients and talent.

Pros

It's an easy way to send high-resolution photos and video to our clients.

Cons

It's hard to find the 'order's I have previously done. Sometimes I like to put the orders back in my cart to re-send but I can't seem to find how to do that anymore.

Ninel Z.

Very User Friendly. Easy to upload and download files.

Reviewed on 2017/11/29

Pros

I can upload my file and make sure that they are stored in a place that I can have access from anywhere that I want. I can upload files from past. I can search for files and see examples of what has been done years ago.

Cons

Sometimes it gives corrupted error. I wished it could have given the corrupt error while I am uploading files.

Kevin P.
  • Industry: Building Materials
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Widen Collective is the best DAM tool we have used.

Reviewed on 2018/01/08

Pros

The user interface is so simply we can add new users quickly and easily and they can find assets with a minimal amount of training.

Cons

Some of the role permissions arent explained ver well. There were a few settings we needed to have turned on in order for users to be able to use the system effectively.

Cj F.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

The Widen Collective has transformed the way we work as a team.

Reviewed on 2017/08/22

You get time, organization, and a solution that your team mates and other employees love.

Pros

It has enabled us to focus on creative work rather than routine fetch & retrieve for employees, as well as organizing our thousands of assets and collateral in a central, easy to use, location.

Tyler M.

Widen is fantastic!

Reviewed on 2013/09/19

I've been using Widen for a few years now and have to say that it's functionality and usefulness has grown significantly since I started.

We use Widen to store hundreds, if not thousands, of images. The ability to order any size image in any file format at a moment's notice is amazingly helpful. Especially since we often have to accommodate several different kinds of requests on a weekly basis. Widen also helps us distribute high resolution images across the country to our entire sales force without having to worry about the file limitations set on our email servers. This makes the launch of new products a bit easier because they don't have to wait for us to ship materials.

I've participated in a few conference calls with Widen employees and have sent several emails back and forth. After a lenghty discussion of creating an indicator for CMYK images vs. RGB images, they were very attentive to our needs and came up with several ideas for us. I've always been very impressed with their professionalism and their willingness to take feedback. I had some trouble with the admin interface last year and they were very helpful, even though I'm sure I was not very easy to deal with at that particular moment.

I will say that I've had some confusing situations with Overall, I'm very happy to be using Widen on a weekly basis. I look forward to their continued improvements and working with Widen for years to come! Thank you, Widen Collective!

Collective

Reviewed on 2019/09/25

Never had any loading, usability issues at all.

Pros

Integrations with other systems is quick and simple.

Cons

Should reach to more systems and CRM for deeper integration.