WorkXpress Reviews

WorkXpress

Mobile & web app development

4.4/5 (18 reviews)
Robert W.

Great Experience - Highly recommended if You're in the Market For Software development

Reviewed on 2015/08/12

When looking for the team to help me build my custom workout software, I posted job offerings on several freelance sites. WorkXpress saw my request and reached out to me. Out of the dozens of candidates that I screened (which included individuals, teams, and companies), they were by far the most experienced and professional. They have built hundreds if not thousands of different software applications and are very detailed, organized, and knowledgeable. I honestly could not image choosing another client to work with.

Overall I am very satisfied with my experience of building my application with WorkXpress. You get to know your team throughout the process and they are great people! They try hard to understand your goals/needs and present a detailed transparent plan. I am currently in the final step of the development process, and I am thrilled with the results of all the hard work the team has put into my software. My development team is super responsive to any communication that I submit through the portal. I would absolutely recommend WorkXpress to anyone who is looking to design and build a great looking, highly functional web application!

Pros

Here are a few reasons why:
- They are based in the US which is awesome if you live here!
- Their bid was actually the best price that I was quoted (even from overseas clients).
- They do a detailed design proposal before you even pay them a dime
- The do everything by the book from a legal perspective so that both parties are protected
- You get a portion of a team (because they also works on several other projects) dedicated to you
- Everything is documented and has a paper trail in the management portal

Cons

Things that I've learned:
- After developing my software right along side WorkXpress I have realized how difficult and time consuming software development is (yes you will be VERY involved in the process, it is not just "this is what I want" and its gets built perfectly. Expect to spend countless hours communicating through the portal and submitting revisions/bugs).
- If it doesn't say it explicitly in the design document, then it isn't guaranteed to be built the way you loosely referenced or had it in your head (It is very hard to communication every little detail that you want your application, but try to get the design document as close as possible to exactly what you want before you pay the deposit and begin development. Say for example that you want an artist to draw a body, so you give him a sketch. Your sketch needs to include the # of hairs on the body, # freckles, length of fingers, size of belly button, etc (yes you need that level of precision). Like I said before it is hard to know every function/response that you want your application to have until the beta is build, so for advanced projects (built for customers to use) expect to spend 20-60% of the initial cost again in "change orders." You probably won't spend much extra in change orders if you are building an internal solution b/c you won't care as much for the fine UI details).
-When they say basic UI that means that your application will resemble your mockups and the functionality will be there, but all elements are truly "off the shelve". Kind of like if you were getting a website designed and the designer gave you a prebuilt website, implemented your functionality (shop, blog, etc.) and then put your logo on it. Don't get me wrong, it will still look good, but it will just be basic. Which is fine for internal company or personal software. But if you are building a user end application, you will need to upgrade to advanced UI. Make sure to get quoted with advanced UI if you are building a user end application!

Tom L.

We have been using WorkXpress for 8 years and we are VERY happy!

Reviewed on 2015/06/23

SERVOLIFT LLC is a leading supplier of Material Handling and Process equipment to the Pharmaceutical Industry. In 2006, we realized we needed to combine all of our disconnected data (excel, access, paper files,.. ) into one company-wide application. We could not find an out of the box solution.

Using the WorkXpress tools, I personally developed the application that handles most aspects of our business including Quoting (beautifully formatted PDF's with pictures of our products emailed directly from the software in just a few clicks), Project Management, BOM, Scheduling, Purchasing, Shipping/Receiving, Customer order entry, Inventory, Commissions, Employee Training, PTO Management, Quality Control, custom reports .....and so much more. The robust automation and ease of use are simply amazing! I continue to find new ways to use the software to improve efficiency and boost the performance of our employees.

In the time we have been using WorkXpress, our company has more than doubled in size and the software has helped us manage that.

Regarding support - WorkXpress is outstanding. They respond quickly and even after hours and weekends if critical.

Pros

It is easy to create a highly complex application without hand coding. The system is just amazing.

Cons

After 8 years of using their software I don't see any cons.

Brett C.

Staffing and Recruiting Application

Reviewed on 2016/04/05

12 months ago, workXpress and our organization joined in a partnership to develop and deploy our cloud based application, currently in production today. When starting our dental staffing business, it was quickly realized that we needed to develop a tool that would manage the requisition process. WorkXpress has been simply miraculous in extracting our objectives as we envisioned, then bringing them to life. What we now have discovered through this process, is that the application we have developed, will revolutionize the recruitment and staffing industries. Workxpress has proven to be more than just a partner as they have been keenly interested in our success and continue to play a major role in guiding and supporting us. We are excited about the future and what it holds as we continue to partner with workXpress on future cloud based development opportunities. We are grateful to CEO, Treff LaPlante, and his entire organization, for having the instinct and foresight to see the potential of our application on a global scale.

Many thanks!

Brett Cole
President
BRiSK Operations & Dental Temps Staffing Solutions

Pros

workXpress's direct support, quick service for development, testing and deployment of enhancements/changes we desire.

Oven R.

Great ERP System

Reviewed on 2015/10/28

In 2007 we shopped around for a software company to supply us with complete ERP system, during that process, we found that many companies could not accommodate our needs and found we needed to build our system from scratch. We contracted WorkXpress to build us a systems that could handled multiple sub assembling, inventory control, RMA process, BOM, sales orders and engineering changes. At the time we were running two systems one for sales orders and one for inventory controller; Workxpress was able to combine our systems into one easy to control system. During the design phase, WorkXpress made sure we had in place exactly what we were looking for, and if not, they revised the design in a quick an efficient manner. The team is nothing but professional from the top on down and the designer that worked with us was very knowledgeable and quick to understand our project.

Pros

the ability to create report as needed is a big plus

Chelsea S.

Biggest mistake I've made in awhile

Reviewed on 2015/06/08

I hired WX for a custom application to manage inventory, online ordering, CRM and delivery routing for a delivery service. It's not rocket science but required a bit of custom programming to work for us. Based on their "5GL" PAAS pitch and lofty promises we signed an agreement for just under $25K and were promised delivery in 12 weeks. We cancelled our agreement when, after FIVE MONTHS we got our first true taste of the horrendous user interface they were forcing us to use and we realized their team no longer understood my user or business needs, despite plenty of documents, use cases, mockups, and supporting information that we gave them. Our project manager was reassigned less than halfway through and that critical role on our project was never replaced. We were promised professional, trained programmers and what we got were new hires that had little programming or UI experience, asking us questions about what we meant by responsive design. Their platform is not responsive, it looks like it was designed in 1997 or so; their sales team is slick but their capabilities are far below what they advertise. I lost significant time and money for a valuable business opportunity that I will never get back, based on their shoddy management of our project and poor understanding of the user roles and user needs associated with it.

Pros

Can't think of any. Don't be fooled by their website, do your due diligence and research companies that actually used them.

Cons

They make you use their cumbersome ticketing system online for managing the development of your project. It's built on the same clunky, non-intuitive, non-responsive framework that they build all applications on. Their platform is OLD. This company is seriously behind the times. They overpromised and underdelivered. :(

Shane S.

WorkXpress Consultation and Design

Reviewed on 2016/03/09

I have been working closely with WorkXpress since late January, 2016, and in that time, my company's project has come from a somewhat nebulous concept to a fully-designed product which will be able to hit the ground running once development has been completed. WorkXpress has a great design process which emphasizes transforming a conceptual product into a workable minimum viable product. Their consultation and design can move forward very quickly, allowing for rapid prototyping and development of a functional product. With competitive pricing and industry experience, WorkXpress has been a pleasure to work with thus far, and give every indication that our project will move forward quickly once fully funded.

Pros

-Great design process with highly knowledgeable technical workers
-Flexible sales team that has worked tirelessly to help our start-up accomplish our product goals
-Frequent feedback with the goal of improving work practices moving forward

Cons

-Automated portal can be unforgiving, and does not always represent the reality of the project or funding deadlines
-Portal design is dated and not always responsive, presumably written on the same framework that our application will be built on

Stuart P.

Workxpress is the PaaS of choice

Reviewed on 2011/11/04

As an budding entrepreneur I looked at various software development houses to help get my idea off the ground, unfortunately the cost barrier was to high.

I then discovered workxpress a platform that allowed me to realise my vision and develop the application without the need to learn how to code.

Workxpress support is responsive and the ongoing training from the team is second to none, furthermore the continued development of the platform has lead to some dramatic improvements of feature creation.

I cannot recommend Workxpress highly enough, if you have an idea for a database driven app then you should try this software, I think you will be surprised at how easy it is.

Pros

ease of use
Speed of development
Intuitive workflows
First class support
Great vision ongoing refinement of the platform
Full of features
Visual development
Good api- however only accepts simple data types
No or little technical knowledge

Cons

No negatives at this stage as ideas and/or suggestions are quickly implemented by the team.

WorkXpress Developed Excellent Product

Reviewed on 2014/08/28

WorkXpress developed software for us using their 'plug 'n' play' system, which allowed us to develop our product in a very cost effective manner. WorkXpress were great throughout the process ensuring that they had all of the requirements upfront and were able to fix any bugs we encountered effectively.

They are very busy, which is obviously a sign of them being a great business. This did cause a couple of hold ups post the main development stage but these were minor teething issues.

Overall, the guys at WorkXpress created a product that was exactly to our requirements and they held our hand through the process (we're two sales people and certainly not tech savvy). I would definitely recommend them to businesses looking for great quality, cost effective software development.

Pros

Excellent product, delivered product exactly to requirements, lots of support, knowledgeable people.

Cons

Only a very minor one, which was having to wait for some bugs to be fixed post the main development phase.

Richard matterson - maritime risk management

Very Professional

Reviewed on 2014/02/10

Having read the previous two reviews I am a bit puzzled by the negativity as we have had nothing but professional and timely service from WorkXPress.

Certainly I wont say that we haven't encountered bugs in the software at testing stage but they were easily rectified without fuss; we have been through two stages of our multi-stage project and all timeframes have been met well within the promised dates.

Before I started this project I did a lot of research into platforms and developers and because we are developing a system that will be around for many years wanted to ensure the robustness of what was being provided, that's why we went with WorkXPress.

I would agree with one of the pervious reviewers that they are a smaller company by international standards but from my experience they make up for that with their professionalism and work ethic.

Pros

Professional and timely responses; program delivered on time and budget.

Cons

It's a bloody long way to Harrisburg from Australia to go for a visit!

Harman B.

A high-end software development firm

Reviewed on 2014/08/16

I contacted WorkXpress to provide me with an application for use in our healthcare business in the UK.

My requirements were complex, due to the large amount of regulatory compliance. WorkXpress not only understood what I needed but were able to help me formulate my ideas into a logical yet simple framework.

Whilst the quality of the end product was outstanding, I was equally impressed by their organisation and project management skills.

I was provided with a project manager, who was contactable at all times and was extremely responsive by email. WorkXpress understood that communication is a key part of success in the workplace, and they delivered.

In short, WorkXpress made it easy for my idea to become reality.

Pros

Highly knowledgeable programmers.

Excellent organisation and project management skills.

Constant communication with client that breeds confidence.

Great after sales support.

Cons

None at all for me!

Norma R.

WorkXpress circumvented a freelance website

Used Other for 1-5 months
Reviewed on 2018/05/01

Pros

The reason I signed on with WorkXpress was because they say they have platforms that are amazingly time saving using 5GL Paas platform. WorkXpress actually stated in the contract they could complete my software in 3 months.

Cons

WorkXpress continually up-selling me. WorkXpress never delivered something that I could test. Although they had me test a very tiny section of the software where the end user enters the data, and because of this, I was able to see what the data looks like on the screen. That was pretty much it....and that was after about 1.5 -2 years after signing the contract. When I realized they were more interested in up-selling me rather than at minimum, producing what I had paid them for later, I called my credit card company, and I was able to reverse about in chargebacks. WorkXPress circumvented the freelance website that we began using; I'm guessing to either avoid paying the website its due commission or to take away my rights the website would have otherwise provided me. Any disputes would have been decided in London UK, but PeoplePerHour.com's advised me that they were not able to help me because I had signed the contract outside of the protection of the website's platform. I have an attorney handling my case right now. As I am starting to understand, I'm not the only one this has happened to. Other individuals have experience WorkXpress uses the same tactics; these individuals experienced a worse ending. It wasted 2 years of my time.

0.0/10
Michael pae

Amazing Product

Reviewed on 2014/03/18

We spent a lot of time looking at similar “out of the box” generic programs but couldn’t find exactly what we were looking for; WorkXpress has given us what we were looking for and more!
In a very short amount of time the fine people at WorkXpress where able to sit down with us review our process and develop a comprehensive application to fulfill our needs, but it hasn’t stopped there; the ability to make changes and adjust the application to fit our specific needs has been fantastic!

Pros

Cost; for what you are getting it can't be beat.
Able to add or make changes with minimal or no down time.
Reliability, very few issues accessing our application from anywhere and support staff has always been very helpful.

Cons

The only issue if you don't have internet access you don't have access to the application.

Victor

WorkXpress does beautiful work

Reviewed on 2014/02/12

My project was complex from the start but they understood it and even offered new approaches. They are good at estimating completion dates and if they are late, they give you advance notice and it's delivered a few days later, not months later. They are responsive and excellent listeners. If you identify glitches, they respond and schedule a fix within a reasonable time frame to keep the project advancing towards commercialization.

Pros

- Visually very attractive work
- Excellent listeners
- They are patient people and reasonable to work with
- They offer creative insights you may not have had

Cons

- No meaningful Cons.
- Everybody always wants their project completed in unrealistic time frames but it will get done and you'll be pleased you chose WorkXpress.

Aaron S.

Great work by WorkXpress Team

Reviewed on 2015/04/02

We shopped around for a complete software company to build our product from scratch. During that process, we found that many companies claimed to be able to deliver our product in the time frame we needed, but no other firm was as thorough as WorkXpress. Our initial consultation was informative, but what really was impressive was the level of understanding their team had towards software development. WorkXpress systematically went through every aspect of our application and asked very specific questions regarding functionality. During the design phase, WorkXpress made sure we had in place exactly what we were looking for, and if not, they revised the design in a quick an efficient manner. The team is nothing but professional from the top on down. We will continue to partner with WorkXpress in the future.

Vince yost

WORKXPRESS - FIRST CLASS SOFTWARE DEVELOPER

Reviewed on 2014/02/12

I've been around software development firms for more than 20 years and I can tell you WorkXpress does first class software development, especially for those needing a colorful, vibrant appearance as my application does. They go far beyond what other firms are capable of, then go even further by providing "easy-to-use tools" (without asking) to make your own changes down the road, so your software product always stays "fresh-looking" and attractive.

Mary P.

Perfect solutions

Reviewed on 2016/03/31

I have worked with this company on several projects and cannot express enough how professional and helpful everyone I dealt with was to me, my company and the sensitive needs of my projects. Their ability to lead, develop and help was unprecedented. I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for a solution to their software needs.

Pros

Knowledgable, helpful and organized.

Chris J.

Workxpress Review

Reviewed on 2014/10/09

Tremendous job by Chris Caldwell and his team with building out our website. They were professional and they worked with us in the process to make a great product.

George H.