Xero

4.4 (2,902)
Write a Review!
Accounting software for small business

(2,902)
4.2/5
4.3/5
4.3/5
4.0/5

Kathryn
Kathryn
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Affordable professional level accounting software for small business

Reviewed on 2019/08/26

It's been easier to use Xero than I expected, but I had a nasty surprise at tax time when I realized the default accounts/descriptions for expenses did not correlate 1:1 to IRS categories. (I should have checked this more closely when I set up my accounts because it's a New Zealand company, and the previous product was local.) This means I will need to double-check all my transactions for 2018 and the IRS has my vastly overestimated tax payment until I can do that and file my return on an extension.

I've had a much better experience importing data from financial institutions because Xero uses a well-known importing service that is trusted by the institutions.

I like being able to match multiple invoices to bank deposits because I usually don't run to the bank for each check. This will be more valuable as my company grows.

I should probably find an accountant to assist me with this, but I haven't found an accountant who understands both craft businesses and Xero.

Pros

Professional double entry software at a very affordable price
Accommodates both cash and accrual accounting
Links to financial institutions to get transactions
Uses standard importer recognized by the financial institutions instead of just trying to log in remotely (and triggering fraud alerts)
Can match multiple invoices to a single deposit transaction imported from bank
Can keep using Xero as company grows

Cons

Pre-existing expense categories/descriptions don't map 1:1 with IRS definitions, so I'm having to go back to all my receipts to make sure expenses are entered in proper accounts because I didn't realize this when I switched
More difficult to focus on specific expense categories to check transactions
Have not been able to import historic data from previous app (possibly because it's not double entry) so I am still paying the subscription on that software to retain access to my data
No integration with Craftybase, so I have to enter supply purchases and customer invoices there independently

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Outright depends on importing data from financial institutions but they were extremely unreliable (apparently they don't use a standard importing service and my credit union kept flagging them as hackers for remote logins) and customer service kept giving me the runaround. It also isn't "professional" double-entry bookkeeping and can't be audited. Outright can't handle Cost of Goods Sold properly and requires manual workarounds. It can't generate professional reports needed when applying for loans.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

QuickBooks introduced a special product for Etsy integration, but early adopters had problems with data disappearing and no way to recover it. Otherwise, the cost of QuickBooks to cover the same features I use in Xero would have been very expensive; even a QB consultant told me it's overkill for a business of my size. I forget which other products I looked at, but Xero was recommended by several owners of similar businesses.
Matthew

Easy as it gets

Reviewed on 2023/09/11

We use Xero for all day to day accounting and financial reporting. It has been a wonderful tool for us. It is easy to use, even for the non-finance members of team, and it produces clean and easy to read reports that make reporting to various stakeholders very easy.

Pros

What I like most about Xero is the simplicity of it. I have used this in a multi location company and it has worked flawlessly. As well, I have trained many a non-finance person on Xero and they find it easy to pick up.

Cons

I think Xero is great for single jurisdiction, single currency companies. I think you need to improve the multi-currency and multi-jurisdiction functionality.

Sage 50cloud Accounting and QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Xero

I chose Xero because I liked the user interface and it seemed more intuitive to use.
Munubi
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Xero review 2024

Reviewed on 2024/05/07

Overall Xero saves us time through intergration with payroll and POS systems.

Overall Xero saves us time through intergration with payroll and POS systems.

Pros

I like the dashboard which can quickly reconcile transactions,see what current bills needs to be paid and see where we are at on invoicing potential members not forgetting how easy it is to use this platform and the pricing is budget friendly for small and big organizations.

Cons

To be honest I have not encountered any cons I like how modern and user friendly it is.

ian

Pretty good, but in the end, more complicated than needed for two person practice

Reviewed on 2021/01/21

largely positive, but when they got rid of payroll, given my business of 2 employee/owner s-corp in a medical practice, with no retail/inventory, it made things a ton easier to just do my accounting in Excel. It was really the payroll that made this a no brainer for me.

Pros

I loved the usability of this software. It was super easy to set up relatively sophisticated accounting with no accounting background. I thought the bank reconciliation was dynamite, and while they still had it, I loved the payroll. When I would eventually get triaged to tech support, the person was so patient, and so helpful it was really great, and they never seemed to mind spending a long time helping to fix some oddball problems that I'd made. Oh yes, loved it that they did the quarterly tax filings for me, but that also went away with the payroll

Cons

One thing about this accounting software - when you have a question their first response is to tell you to have your accountant look at it. I was using this software as a replacement for an accountant, in order to save money, so that advice didn't help much. When you do a google for help, you run into a problem: Xero seems to be doing accounting software for all the english speaking countries,e.g. new zealand, australia, UK, USA and canada. each of these countries has different business formations/corporations, different taxation rules, etc, as well as meaningfully different accounting vernacular. I would end up mnost of the time getting somewhere only to realize I'd pulled up the UK instructions to solve a problem.

QuickBooks Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Xero

good recommendation from another provider who had a similar size busness. Was SUPER easy to set up, and the account reconciliation was a godsend.
Edwina
  • Industry: Entertainment

Happy user

Reviewed on 2024/04/12

Pros

The convenience and ease of use and I love how I can make the changes myself.

Cons

The price is a little high for something I use myself.

Nancy
  • Industry: Restaurants

Great Software

Reviewed on 2024/01/26

Pros

really easy to use & can have a multiple tabs open at one time

Cons

needs more keyboard shortcuts & better access controls for users

ZipBooks, TaxSlayer Pro and Wave

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Quickbooks is not user friendly at all and their support is terrible. They actually transferred one of my employees to me once when we called them for support.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Xero was much easier to use & imports were required for our use case
Craig

The monthly cost keeps going up, while losing key features

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

Xero was great in the beginning, because it gave us an affordable way to do accounting and run payroll. Running payroll allowed us to elect to file as an S-Corp and pay dividends to the owners, which resulted in tax savings over operating as a pass-through entity. Unfortunately, the monthly cost of Xero went up as features went away (as detailed above), so we switched to other accounting software for 2019.

Pros

Xero was good when we started using it in 2015. It bundled true double-entry accounting with payroll and tax filings for a reasonable price. Xero helped us find an accountant with Xero expertise. You can grant an accountant the ability to log in remotely, set up accounts, run reports, and file taxes. Xero seems to be capable of supporting larger and more complex organizations, though we haven't tested its full capabilities.

Cons

The user interface was only fair; some operations were not intuitive. Our main complaint is that Xero stopped doing payroll in 2018, so now you have to pay an additional fee to a payroll processor such as Gusto. The FreshBooks/Xero integration stopped working around 2017 (I don't know why; each company blames the other). Finally, for 2019, we would have to upgrade to a much more expensive monthly plan to get expense tracking and reimbursement features. Therefore, we stopped using Xero at the end of 2018.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Xero had a better user interface and included payroll for a lower overall monthly cost.
Danville

An Excellent and Perfect Accounting and Bookkeeping Tool.

Reviewed on 2024/05/06

Pros

I like ease to carry out accounting and bookkeeping activities with Xero.
Billing and invoicing is another aspect of Xero that I like.
It is simple to track and manage cash flows.
It is a convenient tool for bank reconciliation.
It enables ease to track and manage expenses.

Cons

I haven't found anything complicated with Xero as it simplify accounting process.

Kelvin

Xero boasts robust security measures and a wide range of features.

Reviewed on 2024/05/04

Pros

Xero provides analytical tools that assist in analyzing our financial activities to gain insights into our financial health and track records.

Cons

I have never encountered an error using this tool ,it works best for me.

Anncarol

Xero is really great for Accounting

Reviewed on 2024/05/12

Overall accounting, reconciliation and reporting.

Overall accounting, reconciliation and reporting.

Pros

I like how it is User friendly for accounting,billing,bank reconciliation,AP reports, AR reports and GL reports.

Cons

To be honest I can't think of anything to deslike about Xero.

Paul
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Super Simple Accounting Software for Small to Medium Sized Businesses

Reviewed on 2019/09/15

As a small business our main priority is to keep our monthly book keeping tasks simple and quick. Since moving to Xero from MYOB we have found a significant reduction in our book keeping time input. We are NOT accountants or book keeping experts and Xero as an accounting system has definitely made this part of our business much more efficient. We are guided by our accountant as how best to use the software and have been able to develop a simple client - accountant relationship with Xero being the main conduit of information between us.

Pros

As a small business we found Xero to be a simple and very cost effective solution for all our accounting - book keeping needs. Xero is very easy to set up with your accountant and reduces the time you need to spend on book keeping tasks each month. With automatic bank feeds the time we need to reconcile our accounts each month is minimal. The audit trail features mean any issues that arise can be quickly found and fixed. Being able to notate any transactions enables our accountant to quickly respond to our queries. As a small business keeping our external accountant costs down is very important to us and by using Xero means the time our accountant has to actually spend on our accounts is less and therefore so are the invoices we receive from him!

Cons

Some of the automatic accounts Xero suggests you reconcile to are not correct so it is important to double check each transaction before reconciling. We had issues setting up some of the automatic bank feeds and still have one bank account that will not process the feeds so we need to enter those transactions manually. When uploading a file of transactions we also had some issues and found it quicker just to manually enter them into the software.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

We found MYOB to be very time intensive on our part. As non booking experts our accountant recommended we make the switch and set up automatic bank feeds which we did. It has improved out book keeping efficiency tremendously. It has also saved us money in software costs and we don't need to be constantly ringing our accountant for help in reconciling transactions.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

N/a. We were using MYOB and on our accountants advice we made the switch to Xero.
Craig

I can't wait for it to be finished!

Reviewed on 2020/08/31

It's a lot of money to get setup with a certified consultant. Very few consultants available in Canada. When we did find one she was great but she bills you for every second she works. As in not any free advice. My lawyer is easier to work with.

Pros

As a former quickbooks user of about 20 years, it was a big deal to switch platforms. At first glance it looked like it would do everything we wanted. I loved the price point, the interface and relative ease of use. The multi currency was great as was the ability to integrate with Stripe. You make a lot of compromises to save on the huge monthly cost of quickbooks but there are workarounds.

Cons

There are so many things that are just common/must have's for any business. Things like progressive billing, job costing and even the ability to make your own journal entries are missing. We had to hire a consultant and spend around $800 just to get it to add purchases easier to the mix with HubDoc. You see job costing catagories at the invoice level but not software or 3rd party app to back it up. The single most annoying thing about it is the support. It's non existent. You complain, They tell you its not a problem and ignore your requests. I struggle daily with the search function. I can't get about 50% of my searches to work. The clients I'm looking for are entered. I'm typing them in fine but you often have to visit contacts menu and find them manually by quote number or just never ending scrolling. Upon complaining numerous times the best they can do is say "it might take up to two weeks for your contacts to sync. " Xero: It's 2020 and the dark ages of cloud software have passed. You need to fix the search function and add job costing to be considered a contender. So here we are in 2020, manually adding each of our sales to a spreadsheet and adding the subsequent bills to it to see if we made $. They make it incredibly hard to contact support and they are quite unresponsive when they do reply to your ticket. They try really hard to push you to support forums, where there are literally hundreds of complaints on the same issue with the ability to comment closed.

Judah

Solid platform

Reviewed on 2020/12/08

So far, it has been amazing. I have little to no complaints. Everyone that I have moved to Xero have told me thank you.

Pros

Xero is an accounting software that just works. I have used so many different platforms, and Xero has been the easiest and most reliable software I have found.

Cons

1099 reports are too limited. Tracking categories are too limited. Support can phone it in when you first reach out to them, but if you set up a time to chat with someone they are extremely helpful.

AccountingSuite and Wave

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Quickbooks ethics and support was enough to drive me crazy. When you would call QBO support 5 times, you will most likely get 5 different answers and they will usually contradict each other.

Leanne
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Easy to deploy and use providing you have basic book-keeping knowledge

Reviewed on 2021/03/31

Solid and simple cloud accounting solution that is easy to navigate and customise. Great that our external accountants and legal support can access online as they need. Seems to be continuously evolving and its reassuring to see ongoing development of the product.

Pros

Customisable dashboard is a time saver and ability to customise templates helps with consistency for our company branding. Customisation of user permissions means the bonus of staff being able to enter their own expenses which is a further time saver. Being able to work across multiple currencies now is a plus, albeit I wish we could manually adjust exchange rates being used.

Cons

Many advanced features that are standard for longer established accounting software solutions are available, but as "bolt on" packages, so costs can escalate quickly if you need full "bells and whistles".
Customer service response can be very slow compared to other cloud software providers we use - in the beginning they were responsive for engagement but over time they're clearly pushing all customers towards getting answers from their user community and/or through the Q&A section. I appreciate that customer service probably don't want to be wasting time with queries better addressed by professional book-keepers or accountants, but in our instance, as "advanced users", our customer service queries tend to be related to technical challenges with the product. It would be great of Xero could analyse the types of queries coming from their customers and perhaps have a priority helpline on offer for "low maintenance" subscribers.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Felt more user friendly, especially for team members who, at the time, had limited or zero accounting knowledge
  • Industry: Law Practice
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Powerful Accounting Software that Enables Anyone to Effectively Manage Their Accounts

Reviewed on 2022/02/15

Overall, Xero was a truly powerful software that took the dread of dealing with accounting and reconciliation and made it rather straightforward. The accounting process can effectively be handled by any person, which is rather refreshing. As an attorney, I'm not an accountant. So having something else to learn and utilize while already extremely busy would be a major inconvenience. However, Xero took what would have been a terrible experience and made it manageable.

Pros

Xero is a pretty straightforward product that is effectively almost immediately deployable. Xero's dashboard is not bulky or overwhelming like a significant number of other accounting software tends to be. Xero's help manuals and tutorials were also very useful and are great for helping users quickly refamiliarize themselves with the software. Xero worked well for my law firm for IOLTA (Lawyer Trust Account) reconciliation purposes. With the software linked to your desired account, you can easily reconcile all incoming and outgoing payments and expenses on a given account. Once set up, you literally can log in right after making a purchase to reconcile your accounts without having to fumble through old receipts later to try to remember specific actions that were taken on behalf of a client.

Cons

The only con that I personally experienced with Xero was that I routinely was required to relink and subsequently "resync" my banking account with Xero. Admittedly, this may have been a banking issue and not necessarily a Xero issue. However, when the relinking had to happen, this created a significant amount of issues because I was forced to relink the account, reimport expenses and incoming sums and then ensure that all the amounts had actually synced appropriately from my physical bank account to the Xero software.

Peach Software

Reasons for Choosing Xero

We switched from Quickbooks because the software felt really cumbersome and was not very user friendly to someone that isn't an accounting professional.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

The price of Xero and the ability to effectively use the software almost immediately made the decision to choose Xero a straightforward one.
Andrew

Xero makes finance so easy

Reviewed on 2022/03/25

Since starting with Xero over six years ago, we couldn't be happier. We've centralised all our financial activity into one platform, which is great for non-finance people like myself!

Pros

Xero makes managing the finances for a business really straightforward. The user interface is intuitive and it centralises all my accounts information.

One of my favourite features is the the dashboard, which is clear and customisable, and gives a great summary of the position position at any time.

The software also integrates really well to other platforms for things like receipt capture and detailed business analysis.

Cons

I'm really happy with how it performs, however, our bookkeeper still does some levels of manual reporting, which he finds easier in Excel, than in Xero. The integration of BA tools does negate this issue.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

It wasn't SaaS at the time and was only able to be understood and used by our bookkeeper.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

At the time the product looked to have better features and functionality, and the user experience was excellent.
Rino
Rino

Xero - The Cloud Based Software of the future

Reviewed on 2022/06/24

Fantastic product with fantastic support and really meaningful input from the actual company staff

Pros

Xero's main benefit to us as a mid tier accounting firm is the ease of importing information. It supports multiple bank feeds on a reliable basis and its open API allows for the support of many add in apps

Cons

Being a non-technical software, it does sometimes give the impression of not being as robust in terms of ease of change of prior information. This can be overcome by locking down periods, one just has to remember to do this though.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

The capital development expenditure and size of Xero simply mean that it is outpacing other software in terms of speed of development, effectively future-proofing our practice.

The main factors were cost and engagement with the Xero South Africa team
Daniel

Great online software for SMEs

Reviewed on 2022/09/23

It has been great software that helped many business to grow with up to date, online financial information.

Pros

Xero has been one of the first solutions for cloud bookkeeping and accounting and has successfully competed with the likes of Sage and QuickBooks. It has probably the most other software providers that link directly with Xero over APIs.

Cons

Over the years there were some features that were requested and it took a long time for them to be implemented, also more and more features are additional paid for addons.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Clients were unhappy with existing software.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

It has the most connections with other apps, links with workpapers among other things.
karl

Great software for SMB

Reviewed on 2022/11/09

We came to Xero from Sage and has changed the way we manage our accounts, and helped the team be more productive.

Pros

customer service is great, even for an SMB like ours, we get good response times and knowledgeable people. the system is very easy to use and has great functionality for managing our sales and supplier invoices so that we can keep track of our cashflow accurately. Apps library is great and has everything that we need.

Cons

certain functionality around automation and AI is not there but can be added via connected apps.

QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Xero

needed more functionality and fewer manual processes

Sage Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Allowed for a more flexible account and functionality was better than other solutions and better connected to other apps and services
Laura
Laura
  • Company size: 1,001–5,000 Employees

To keep track of finances, Xero is a small business' best friend

Reviewed on 2023/04/06

We've suggested Xero to a few clients and even forced them to switch from their current accounting software because of how much superior it is than its competitors.

Pros

If you're not an accountant, Xero is still simple and straightforward to use. Daily operations are based on the straightforward processes of making payments to suppliers and receiving money. It's the best option for a company of that size. It's simple and straightforward to use this accounting software to keep track of your company's money. This program is something I use constantly.

Cons

Xero is designed for small businesses, therefore it has basic restrictions (journal approvals, etc.). As a company's billing operations reach a certain mass, they outgrow a single Xero instance and require the use of many instances running in parallel to process all of the bills.

Maciej

Comprehensive Accounting Software for Small Businesses

Reviewed on 2023/04/28

Overall, Xero is a great accounting software for small businesses. It is packed with features and has a user-friendly interface. The cost is quite high, but it is worth it for the features that it provides. The customer support could be better, but the overall experience has been positive.

Pros

Xero is an incredibly comprehensive accounting software that is perfect for small businesses. It has all the necessary features for managing finances and the user interface is easy to use and understand. I love how it can be integrated with other accounting programs and it is constantly being updated with new features and improvements.

Cons

Xero can be quite expensive as compared to other accounting software and the customer support is not always as helpful as one would hope. I have also encountered some glitches that can cause problems when trying to get things done.

Sue

Xero for non profits

Reviewed on 2023/08/23

Now that I am up and running I really like it. The nominal structure is very different to Sage Line 50 but the principles are the same. I was advised by multiple accountants to choose Xero or Sage online above Quickbooks

Pros

Online means that we can share information across the team as we do not work from a central office.

Cons

I did need an expert to help me set up Xero and make sure all the data was imported correctly. We bought in around 10 hours of expert help to get us started.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

We needed an online option... we were using Sage Line50 but that is not an option for me to choose here.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Pretty sure it was recommendation from accountants. The costs were pretty comparable.
Yongmei
  • Industry: Events Services

Our business partner

Reviewed on 2023/10/29

Pros

It’s very simple to use. It has all the features that our business requires from an accounting softwares. You can do payroll and VAT all in one place and submit from Xero with one click. It is extremely convenient. It is like another helpful staff in our company.

Cons

Nothing really. Everything about Xero is really good. We are absolutely satisfied.

Sage 50cloud Accounting and QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Xero is more suitable for a small business.

Nayari
Nayari

An ideal system for our financial management.

Reviewed on 2023/08/28

It is a software that allows the automation of routine tasks such as bank reconciliation has freed up valuable time, allowing me to focus on strategic financial analysis and achieve better decision making. With Xero I can generate personalized reports and in real time it gives me a clear vision of the company's financial performance, which makes it easier to identify areas for improvement and growth opportunities. Honestly, it is a system that greatly facilitates my duties as Finance Manager.

Pros

Since I've been using Xero, I've really liked it, as it has proven to be an exceptional solution for optimizing our financial management. It has an intuitive and easy-to-use interface that allows me to quickly access key financial data such as balance sheets, income statements, and cash flows. It has an automated bank reconciliation feature, which is a real plus, because it saves us time and ensures the accuracy of our financial records. It has characteristics that are key to our objectives.

Cons

Xero is an almost perfect system, because it can have limitations in terms of customization. Some of the advanced reports and features may require technical knowledge or expert assistance. Another disadvantage is its integration with other business systems, which can be difficult in some cases and cause data synchronization difficulties.

John
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Concerns with Xero

Reviewed on 2018/04/10

We've been using Xero for about two years now. There have been a few hiccups along the way but for the most part things have been ok. Recently however, we've had a problem with our bank feed uploading into Xero in order to reconcile transactions. We first encountered this issue on 2/10/18. We informed Xero and they said they would look into the issue. A couple of weeks went by without hearing anything about the feed working as it should. We contacted them again and they said they were still working on the issue but that we could manually download the transactions ourselves in the meantime. Today is 4/10/18 (2 months later) and they still have not fixed the issue. We are still having to manually download these transactions ourselves in order to reconcile our bank accounts within the Xero software.

I spoke with Xero this morning and they still do not have a timeline for when this will be fixed. They said they use an outside company to perform the importing of bank feeds functions and that they are not responsible for it not working. They said when we signed up for the Xero service we were informed about the possibility of the feed possibly cutting out at some point in the fine print (terms & conditions). They refuse to issue any sort of refund for their monthly service during this time of inconvenience because they say the bank feed import function is a free service offered by a third party.

The problem we have is that Xero is marketing this service as part of their overall monthly service package which you assume is really included in your monthly service fee you pay to them. When it doesn't work they take no accountability for it not working. We think it's very deceptive for them to market a service (bank import functionality) to prospective buyers, which you assume is included with your monthly service fee, but then take no responsibility for it not working when things breakdown. We believe they do this to gain a competitive advantage over other companies like Quickbooks. Instead of just charging for the bank import service which would increase their monthly service fee and make them less competitive on a price basis with their competition they artfully setup their service to be able to offer a more competitive price but not assume any of the responsibility when the service doesn't work as expected. The general consumer doesn't think to put this deceptive tactic together when they sign up for the service and Xero assumes once they have you onboard you'll deal with the issue until they can get it fixed because switching accounting software companies at a later date is extremely inconvenient.

Pros

The service accomplishes most of what it was intended to do albiet at a bit of a learning curve for the new user.

Cons

There is no customer service support number to call. Bank feeds do not work properly. IOS app is mising some functionaility