Xero

4,4 (2 848)
Accounting software for small business

(2 848)

Rino
Rino

Xero - The Cloud Based Software of the future

Reviewed on 2022/06/24

Fantastic product with fantastic support and really meaningful input from the actual company staff

Pros

Xero's main benefit to us as a mid tier accounting firm is the ease of importing information. It supports multiple bank feeds on a reliable basis and its open API allows for the support of many add in apps

Cons

Being a non-technical software, it does sometimes give the impression of not being as robust in terms of ease of change of prior information. This can be overcome by locking down periods, one just has to remember to do this though.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

The capital development expenditure and size of Xero simply mean that it is outpacing other software in terms of speed of development, effectively future-proofing our practice.

The main factors were cost and engagement with the Xero South Africa team
Shayla
Shayla
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

My accounting issues have been resolved by Xero

Reviewed on 2023/06/20

It aids in keeping track of expenditures to prevent overspending and in identifying unpaid invoices. By automating routine accounting processes like billing and invoicing, Xero has made my bookkeeping far more efficient and streamlined.

Pros

We really like that it can work together with other apps to improve business insight. There are many reports that provide all the information you may ever need. simple to keep tabs on the company's financials in preparation for tax filing.

Cons

Wish the linked bank accounts will stay connected and hope that more free integrated apps become available for use with Xero.

Simon
  • Industry: Telecommunications

A great cloud product

Reviewed on 2024/01/25

Pros

Flexible, always available and easy to navigate without detailed accounting knowledge

Cons

Needs specific setup to ensure you get the most out of it's reporting

ian

Pretty good, but in the end, more complicated than needed for two person practice

Reviewed on 2021/01/21

largely positive, but when they got rid of payroll, given my business of 2 employee/owner s-corp in a medical practice, with no retail/inventory, it made things a ton easier to just do my accounting in Excel. It was really the payroll that made this a no brainer for me.

Pros

I loved the usability of this software. It was super easy to set up relatively sophisticated accounting with no accounting background. I thought the bank reconciliation was dynamite, and while they still had it, I loved the payroll. When I would eventually get triaged to tech support, the person was so patient, and so helpful it was really great, and they never seemed to mind spending a long time helping to fix some oddball problems that I'd made. Oh yes, loved it that they did the quarterly tax filings for me, but that also went away with the payroll

Cons

One thing about this accounting software - when you have a question their first response is to tell you to have your accountant look at it. I was using this software as a replacement for an accountant, in order to save money, so that advice didn't help much. When you do a google for help, you run into a problem: Xero seems to be doing accounting software for all the english speaking countries,e.g. new zealand, australia, UK, USA and canada. each of these countries has different business formations/corporations, different taxation rules, etc, as well as meaningfully different accounting vernacular. I would end up mnost of the time getting somewhere only to realize I'd pulled up the UK instructions to solve a problem.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Xero

good recommendation from another provider who had a similar size busness. Was SUPER easy to set up, and the account reconciliation was a godsend.
Richa
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Zero is the best tool for business accounting!

Reviewed on 2023/10/30

Very good, makes it easy to manage accounts, staff and invoicing.

Very good, makes it easy to manage accounts, staff and invoicing.

Pros

Very professional and user friendly. Many more features like staff management, leave planning/approvals etc.

Cons

A bit complicated and deeper level of analysis (which may not be necessary for all).

Paul
Paul
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Xero used to send timesheets and view payslips

Reviewed on 2021/06/30

It worked good enough. About 7/10 I'd say. But the office was happy so I guess thats what really matters

Pros

I was an employee and me moved over to Xero from another accounting package. The app i downloaded to my phone was used to send in my timesheets so I would get paid. Before this I had to create a weekly google sheet and email it. This led to mistakes in my pay so the app helped me to be paid accurately.

Cons

If the office had not uploaded the jobs in time for me when I was inputting my time sheet each day, I could not allocate time accurately and I had to keep a different record until they had updated Xero. It was not very intuitive in use on the app and I could not create a template.

Mark
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Xero - Simply & Before

Reviewed on 2024/01/29

Pros

The ease of using Xero for invoicing purposes and the reporting has always stood out to me.

Having used other products in the past I wouldn't like to go back and now using Xero in my current company but used this in my previous company as well.

Cons

The only thing I don't like at times is the layout as I think it could be developed to be slightly more user friendly.

It's an incredible great tool but lacks the look that others may possess.

Su

Xero is great for my small business

Reviewed on 2024/02/07

Xero is an excellent program, much more user friendly that Quickbooks.

Xero is an excellent program, much more user friendly that Quickbooks.

Pros

It is easy to use and learns well, making useful suggestions as you go along. Invoice creation is simple and it's easy to keep track of who has paid you and who hasn't. The search function is great.

Cons

It would be good to be able to add new accounts / categories from the reconciliation page with an "add new" button for example on the drop down menu.

Joshua

Xero Review

Reviewed on 2024/01/11

Pros

the best thing about this product is that it allows all stakeholders utilising the software ease of use and reviewing financials to understand the current position. Hard to get lost in the accounting world once setup correctly.

Cons

the bank reconciliation function occasionally selects the incorrect invoice

Amos
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Intuitive features and easy to use

Reviewed on 2024/01/26

Pros

Intuitive features, good value for money and easy to use

Cons

Nothing really. Everything I need is there.

Kathryn
Kathryn
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Affordable professional level accounting software for small business

Reviewed on 2019/08/26

It's been easier to use Xero than I expected, but I had a nasty surprise at tax time when I realized the default accounts/descriptions for expenses did not correlate 1:1 to IRS categories. (I should have checked this more closely when I set up my accounts because it's a New Zealand company, and the previous product was local.) This means I will need to double-check all my transactions for 2018 and the IRS has my vastly overestimated tax payment until I can do that and file my return on an extension.

I've had a much better experience importing data from financial institutions because Xero uses a well-known importing service that is trusted by the institutions.

I like being able to match multiple invoices to bank deposits because I usually don't run to the bank for each check. This will be more valuable as my company grows.

I should probably find an accountant to assist me with this, but I haven't found an accountant who understands both craft businesses and Xero.

Pros

Professional double entry software at a very affordable price
Accommodates both cash and accrual accounting
Links to financial institutions to get transactions
Uses standard importer recognized by the financial institutions instead of just trying to log in remotely (and triggering fraud alerts)
Can match multiple invoices to a single deposit transaction imported from bank
Can keep using Xero as company grows

Cons

Pre-existing expense categories/descriptions don't map 1:1 with IRS definitions, so I'm having to go back to all my receipts to make sure expenses are entered in proper accounts because I didn't realize this when I switched
More difficult to focus on specific expense categories to check transactions
Have not been able to import historic data from previous app (possibly because it's not double entry) so I am still paying the subscription on that software to retain access to my data
No integration with Craftybase, so I have to enter supply purchases and customer invoices there independently

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Outright depends on importing data from financial institutions but they were extremely unreliable (apparently they don't use a standard importing service and my credit union kept flagging them as hackers for remote logins) and customer service kept giving me the runaround. It also isn't "professional" double-entry bookkeeping and can't be audited. Outright can't handle Cost of Goods Sold properly and requires manual workarounds. It can't generate professional reports needed when applying for loans.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

QuickBooks introduced a special product for Etsy integration, but early adopters had problems with data disappearing and no way to recover it. Otherwise, the cost of QuickBooks to cover the same features I use in Xero would have been very expensive; even a QB consultant told me it's overkill for a business of my size. I forget which other products I looked at, but Xero was recommended by several owners of similar businesses.
Gene

Accounting Software Design for the Business Owner

Reviewed on 2020/02/07

Xero give me, an accountant, a tool to provide my clients with that effectively gives them a tool for keeping their daily records in an orderly fashion make my job easier at the end of each month.

Pros

Xero have been designed to be used by non-account business folks. However, once the data has been listed an accountant has a great tool to use to finish the company financial records (Monthly, Quarterly & Annually). It is also priced at a rate that works for most business owners.

Cons

I really do not know of any areas within the software that I can list as "Least" liked. I do not know of any significant problems which I believe need correcting.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Choosing Xero

I found Xero to be better designed for the average business owner at a lower rate.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Because of its design for the business owner.
  • Industry: Accounting

Xero is an awesome bookkeeping solution for small business owners!

Reviewed on 2020/11/01

Xero is an awesome bookkeeping and accounting software solution for startups and small business owners. It is indeed a good match for business owners who know nothing about accounting in order to keep their books and to properly manage their finances.

From my own experience, I found that Xero is very user-friendly and its accounting interface is streamlined, almost seamless, and uncluttered. The Demo Company is very useful as you can manipulate data without worrying about messing up vital information in your practice company.

Xero’s accounting dashboard shows the snapshot of your business (i.e., bank balances and reconciling items, outstanding invoices, and bills, accounts on the watchlist, etc.) and fully customizable depending on your needs.

Quickbooks had been the leader of accounting software for small businesses for quite some time but Xero is becoming more popular because of its competitive offering and value proposition. Xero’s starting plan is very affordable and you have the option to add-on some features depending on your need. It also offers a basic inventory and fixed asset management functionality in all of its plans, which is very cool! And the best thing about Xero is the unlimited users allowed to access the financial information.

Pros

- Affordable and cost less for startups and small businesses
- Includes fixed assets and inventory management in all of its plans
- Very user-friendly especially during migration or conversion of data
- Allows unlimited users
- Friendly 24/7 customer support

Cons

- Some countries lack a built-in payroll option.
- Customized reporting options are still limited. I wish Xero can allow you to create your own report.
- The contact list of customers and suppliers is mixed together and needs to set-up manually to organize.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Excel and spreadsheets for bookkeeping and accounting become very hard to maintain over time and can be time-consuming. Additionally, it is also prone to errors and data corruption. Therefore, it is not sustainable especially if you are growing your business.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Xero is more commonly used by my target market: New Zealand, Australia and Malaysia.
Monika

Xero for Business

Reviewed on 2021/02/25

I am happy, can be connected with my clients all the time, can prepare reports anywhere, anytime. I think the price for South Africa is a bit high

Pros

I like the product is easy to use, no need high knowledge of accounting, the person who never was doing accounting can easily manage this product

Cons

there is still missing a few things as inventory shall be a bit changed as people with two inventories in different places can not have two storages, there are few things that missing and can make it easier to work with

Reasons for Choosing Xero

the cloud, it is an advantage to be cloud due to my work I am travelling a lot and if client need help can do it on the move

Pastel

more user friendly I think
Rowena
  • Industry: Accounting

It took me a while, but I am a Xero convert!

Reviewed on 2021/09/30

When I first began using Xero, I had heard a lot about it and was skeptical. Surely, no software could be so "all that"! I was introduced to it by a colleague who has converted the whole of her mid-size accountancy practice to it, and literally within a day and a half (which did include watching some of the short but very clear tutorial videos) I was not only up and running, but felt confident using it, finding my way around it, locating and fixing errors etc. It's literally that simple and straightforward. It's also incredibly stable - I think in 3 years it's only been offline (to my knowledge) 3 times, each for a very short period. I've also not found ANY bugs so far - almost unheard of! - and the support is fantastic, even though it's online.

Pros

Provided it's set up properly, Xero is probably the most friendly accounting software - to non-accountants that is - of any I've ever come across. Back in the 90's, MYOB revolutionised accounting software for small business, but Xero takes it to a whole new level, by removing so much of the data entry work that takes time, leaves room for errors and is in general a pain, when you'd rather be - you know, running your business. With Xero, it's up to the individual operator how much they want to automate their accounting transactions; if you want to, you can use the really powerful, but still simple tools to do a lot of the legwork for you. If you prefer to do it more manually, that's OK too - it's still simple and very quick and easy to use.

Cons

Xero is constantly adding and refining its software. Inventory control is an area I'd like to see strengthened, but that's already way ahead of where it was a couple of years ago. Similarly processing payments in advance. But these are relatively small niggles which for the majority of small businesses don't present any issue.

MYOB Business

Reasons for Choosing Xero

I was contracting to an accountancy firm who had converted their entire practice to Xero.

MYOB Business
Elena
  • Industry: Entertainment

Xero has helped us transform and streamline our processes

Reviewed on 2022/06/13

Xero has streamlined our operations, and simplified our record keeping, and notification of when bills are due for payment or invoices due for collection. The dashboard is fantastic for an overall picture. The reporting tools are excellent, and the ease of use is so logical and straightforward, that it's simple l to self-teach even for a beginner. On top of that when you have any questions the how-to guides are thorough in themselves, and support is excellent and very quick to come back to you with an in depth answer.

Pros

The ease of use is fantastic, and a beginner is able to self-teach quite easily with the fantastic guides and webinars that are available from Xero. The support is also exceptional and I have always had my queries answered in great detail and very quickly.

Cons

My main issue was that I would like to be able to create different delivery addresses on invoices that have one invoice address but different delivery locations, as it's important to specify. To workaround we write it in the body of the invoice, however with previous systems we have been able to enter multiple delivery addresses, for one invoice address and select the required one each time.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

We watched several comparison videos but it was the ease of use that sold us. I had used Sage and Zoho books in the past and knew that I didn't want to use either of them again, and I was so pleased that we chose Xero as has been fantastic for us.
Daniel

Great online software for SMEs

Reviewed on 2022/09/23

It has been great software that helped many business to grow with up to date, online financial information.

Pros

Xero has been one of the first solutions for cloud bookkeeping and accounting and has successfully competed with the likes of Sage and QuickBooks. It has probably the most other software providers that link directly with Xero over APIs.

Cons

Over the years there were some features that were requested and it took a long time for them to be implemented, also more and more features are additional paid for addons.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

Clients were unhappy with existing software.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

It has the most connections with other apps, links with workpapers among other things.
karl

Great software for SMB

Reviewed on 2022/11/09

We came to Xero from Sage and has changed the way we manage our accounts, and helped the team be more productive.

Pros

customer service is great, even for an SMB like ours, we get good response times and knowledgeable people. the system is very easy to use and has great functionality for managing our sales and supplier invoices so that we can keep track of our cashflow accurately. Apps library is great and has everything that we need.

Cons

certain functionality around automation and AI is not there but can be added via connected apps.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro and Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Xero

needed more functionality and fewer manual processes

Sage Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Allowed for a more flexible account and functionality was better than other solutions and better connected to other apps and services
Laura
Laura
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

To keep track of finances, Xero is a small business' best friend

Reviewed on 2023/04/06

We've suggested Xero to a few clients and even forced them to switch from their current accounting software because of how much superior it is than its competitors.

Pros

If you're not an accountant, Xero is still simple and straightforward to use. Daily operations are based on the straightforward processes of making payments to suppliers and receiving money. It's the best option for a company of that size. It's simple and straightforward to use this accounting software to keep track of your company's money. This program is something I use constantly.

Cons

Xero is designed for small businesses, therefore it has basic restrictions (journal approvals, etc.). As a company's billing operations reach a certain mass, they outgrow a single Xero instance and require the use of many instances running in parallel to process all of the bills.

Maciej

Comprehensive Accounting Software for Small Businesses

Reviewed on 2023/04/28

Overall, Xero is a great accounting software for small businesses. It is packed with features and has a user-friendly interface. The cost is quite high, but it is worth it for the features that it provides. The customer support could be better, but the overall experience has been positive.

Pros

Xero is an incredibly comprehensive accounting software that is perfect for small businesses. It has all the necessary features for managing finances and the user interface is easy to use and understand. I love how it can be integrated with other accounting programs and it is constantly being updated with new features and improvements.

Cons

Xero can be quite expensive as compared to other accounting software and the customer support is not always as helpful as one would hope. I have also encountered some glitches that can cause problems when trying to get things done.

Sue

Xero for non profits

Reviewed on 2023/08/23

Now that I am up and running I really like it. The nominal structure is very different to Sage Line 50 but the principles are the same. I was advised by multiple accountants to choose Xero or Sage online above Quickbooks

Pros

Online means that we can share information across the team as we do not work from a central office.

Cons

I did need an expert to help me set up Xero and make sure all the data was imported correctly. We bought in around 10 hours of expert help to get us started.

Reasons for Choosing Xero

We needed an online option... we were using Sage Line50 but that is not an option for me to choose here.

Reasons for Switching to Xero

Pretty sure it was recommendation from accountants. The costs were pretty comparable.
jonathan

Appalling Software - Avoid at all Costs in My Opinion

Reviewed on 2019/11/07

Overall, Xero costs us a lot of time we didn't spend before, does things on it's own such as create new suppliers for an expense and to me, it seems the software was written by ex Bookkeepers who didn't really understand bookkeeping anyway and had a good go at designing a software package that would compete I am guessing with the likes of Sage and failed abysmally.

We use Xero because our accountants do the bookkeeping for us and this is what they use, if not for this, I wouldn't touch Xero if my life depended on it.

Pros

Nothing, nothing at all. The software is nothing more than a glorified analysed cashbook. Support is poor and some of the replies from Support demonstrate the advisor doesn't understand accounts, the accounts structure or the damage that can be done by the advice they are giving.

Cons

All purchases whether a supplier, or a bottle of milk from Tesco's is a contact. A bottle of milk for the office should be coded directly to the nominal code, not a new supplier "Tesco's" created.

Cash in an out of bank should be the same as the bank statement on a live bank feed, but it excludes transfers from savings to current account so not a true reflection of cash in and out.

Xero doesn't reconcile customer receipts, even through the name on the receipt in the bank is the same as the customer account exactly.

Xero dump a lot of support on to the accountant who provides the service.

Xero creates accounts for customers and suppliers on it's own if it doesn't recognise a payment or receipt in the bank account. Software should never be allowed to decide if it wants to create something automatically.

Xero isn't as automated as Sage Accounts, for instance when bulk invoicing over several days, you can't set the date at software level, you have to keep changing the date.

When importing from Sage into Xero for the first time, if Xero doesn't understand an item on the invoice, it simply creates a new line on the invoice whether you want it to or not and there is no way apparently to undo this once done.

Xero works with receipt bank and you can spend hours trying to tell it an expense is not to be coded to a customer.

I could go on.

Jinny
  • Industry: Photography

Worst Software I've ever used

Reviewed on 2022/11/15

Terrible. This is the worst software I've ever used. Do NOT buy this. It's been a terrible experience for me my company.

Pros

I like this software WHEN it works. However, that's generally never the case. My bank feeds haven't been accurate since May of this year. That's five months without accurate transactions and reconciliation.

Cons

This software would be good if it worked. I've gone five months without accurate reports and transactions. Xero blames it on "Yodlee" but never actually tells me that they've pressed Yodlee on this issue. I've had internal Xero employees tell me their [SENSITIVE CONTENT] doesn't care about small businesses and in my experience this is true. I would never recommend this software or company to anyone. The customer service is non existent. I think they have people there to help but when those people tell you the company doesn't care...there's not much you can do. They say they're good for small business but it seems like the [SENSITIVE CONTENT] feels exactly the opposite.

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise and Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Xero

I chose Xero because they said they were build for small business options. I didn't need everything Quickbooks offered. That was a huge mistake as Xero can't even do the basic things I need (accurate bank transactions).
Ayman
  • Industry: Design
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

The best accounting software that meets all of your requirements

Reviewed on 2022/02/23

In particular, my experience with Xero has been beneficial in that it has enabled me to organize and manage all financial affairs of the branch in which I work without the need for a full-time accountant in the branch, as it allows me to prepare financial statements, pay bills, and organize payment dates myself.

Pros

I appreciate that Xero is responsive and simple to use for everyone, as it does not necessitate a great deal of prior experience. Once connected to the Internet, the user will be able to connect with all of his bank accounts, both those through which he wishes to make payments and those to which he wishes to transfer money, and monitor and follow them accurately and professionally, as well as track and report on them. It is extremely adaptable to a wide range of requirements, including those of freelancers and huge corporations. Furthermore, it serves as a vital database for all financial data, as it will allow you to download documents and invoices quickly and easily, and also through the phone application, where it is sufficient to scan documents and invoices in order to enter information from them into the system and schedule payments quickly and easily. I particularly appreciate the reports that are generated by Xero since they are comprehensive in that they include all of the financial transactions that occurred during the time period under consideration.

Cons

there are no noteworthy issues. The issue of dealing with recurring payments does not operate as expected, as you must occasionally complete the procedure manually.

Xero truly puts powerful data in the hands of small business owners

Reviewed on 2018/08/15

Pros

I have been using Xero for a good number of years now and can only recommend it! The usability is fantastic, the ability to see really clearly how the accounts work is groundbreaking in its field. I love the bank reconciliation and the bank feeds. The automation of data is actually fun and linking it into the add-ons can make life a lot easier and save time and money. It is a great way to keep things simple and clear. I love the advisor features, that you can't break it (although you can make a real mess if not careful). For me the biggest benefit is the clarity of the data and the ability to drill down into virtually anything.

Don't use Xero in super complex scenarios and I would recommend that you employ a proper XERO accountant - who actually knows how to use Xero and uses the data when using it though or you will end up paying twice - once for entering the data to xero - and again when the accountant pulls it out into their own software. Overall I would absolutely recommend Xero for people who are more serious than working in spreadsheets but who are turning over £50k-£3m+ with a fairly simple process.

Cons

We have found that Xero does not work well in all scenarios but there are work arounds - the bigger the business and the more complex the processes the less it suits but then if you are bigger/more complex you should arguably be using something else!
Support is not awesome! It can take time and you are often met with unhelpful suggestions. There has been an increased number of 'blips' in the software in more recent months and the support has been almost useless in those cases and I have had to find workarounds. Conversation/instant message support should surely be on the cards?
Another thing that I don't like is the highly evangelical nature of the conferences! It borders on the cultish and if you are not 'in' then you are definitely 'out'! I have not found there to be any benefit to being on the 'directory' for that same reason.