SubHub

Cloud-based content and membership management software

4,7
4,7
4,4
4,4
4,8
Andy R.
Industry: Online Media

Easy to use membership site platform with minimal tech skills required

Reviewed on 2020/04/09

SubHub allows me to get on with publishing content, knowing that payment and back-end processes are well handled and reliable. On the rare occasion when I need support, it arrives quickly and with excellent follow-up.

Pros

It was easy to configure and set up my website [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] on Subhub. That was back in 2008 and I've been using Subhub ever since to host the site. Payment processes are easily integrated and have proven reliable.

Cons

It would be good to have more customisation options, and more choice of which other software to integrate with. For example, Mailchimp is supported but not other popular email autoresponders such as Aweber. Maybe Zapier could create the bridge for this to happen but I haven't yet investigated. An integrated affiliate management system is commonplace with a lot of membership site builders and that would be a useful addition rather than having to use iDev Affiliate as a third party plugin

Kiya K.
Company size: Self Employed

An online business dream come true

Reviewed on 2019/06/27

Really amazing. I shocked myself and with the help of this world class support team I am managing + creating my own website and running my online business solo which feels very freeing and empowering.

Pros

I can actually use it.
The customer service is impeccable.
It has great functionality without being overly confusing.

Cons

Some glitches and inconsistencies have caused mild frustration.
Not consistent across all browsers.
Difficult to size, style and space font and videos.

Response from SubHub

Hi Kiya,

Thanks for taking the time to write this review.

It's been a pleasure to work and support you in building your website. The team has loved watching you take ownership of your site and stamp it with your own brand of energetic motivation and positivity.

Debbie B.

I had such high hopes

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

Pros

The tech support is quick and helpful as we had an ongoing help ticket for months. Once you are accustomed to the software, it becomes easier to navigate.

Cons

It is not user friendly like other membership sites. It's clunky. There should be easier copy/paste, drag/drop options. It took 2 tech savvy pros to get the site up and running, with countless hours involved. There is just so much lacking.

Response from SubHub

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for sharing your frustration. We're sorry that we have fallen short of your expectations. We recognise our platform has some drawbacks and the team has been working to make improvements to our functionality and ease of use. We do try to compensate by offering very hands on support. Thanks for sticking with us.

Likelihood to recommend: 1.0/10

Alejandro A.
Industry: Writing & Editing

Easy to implement memberships but they need to implement a lot of features if they want to compete

Reviewed on 2020/09/08

Is a decent solution for a membership site but they need to implement more features. The online marketing world is constantly changing and they need to adapt.

Pros

This a very easy to use software for membership sites. You can construct a site in a couple of days and start making money. The web page designer is implemented in the app and you can even link your domain name. The app is very organized and intuitive and the support is top notch. They reply in minutes and are very helpful

Cons

They need to implement a lot more features. You can't sale courses in the store. They are part of the membership site. This is a little annoying because some clients just want one course, not be part of all the site, and they have to fill the form just to access the course and sometimes is overwhelming for them. Is buggy at times, you can't see the changes in the page inmeaditely. Other problem is with pdfs. They have a feature to protect the pdf from downloading, but the resolution is terrible and the site that encrypted the pdf has a fee. So if you want to embed 5 or more pdfs you will have to pay for that external service.

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

Steve D.
Industry: Entertainment

SubHub Makes Membership Websites Easy

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

SubHub has been amazing to work with and they always respond quickly to any issues or questions I have.

Pros

SubHub allows me to easily (as a non-techie) to create a membership website without needing to hire a team of web developers.

Cons

Despite not being very technical, I would have liked to see more options in the available templates to make the site look and feel more how I wanted.

Response from SubHub

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your review. Our team agrees we need more design options! Behind the scenes, we have been working very hard to soon launch a live editor that will provide more design flexibility. We always enjoy getting tickets from you.

Carol M.
Industry: Primary/Secondary Education
Company size: Self Employed

9 years and I still LOVE Subhub!

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/09/13

Subhub has been a university of techie training for this non-techie. The support team has been WONDERFUL (e.g., Toby, Louise, Jeanne, Beverly...). I feel like I have "friends," ready to help with any website questions or challenges. I've had some health challenges, but Subhub has always been dependable–whether I work daily, weekly, or periodically on the website. Although we've had a number of unusual challenges and occasional glitches, Subhub has been the perfect tool to reach a global audience. We started with a Subhub template and eventually paid for a customized site. I did the research on some specific graphics, sent in some drawings with detailed explanations, and Subhub's developers produced a home page that still makes us happy and still attracts visitors to our email list. (www.ReadersTheaterAllYear.com)

Pros

I started Subhub as a non-techie with a heart to help teachers with a membership site. Subhub simplified my life and helped me grow in my technical skills. We've been on the old Subhub platform with our website since 2010 (although we updated to the mobile-friendly version later when that became available). I still like the organization and flexibility of the software because it allows me to serve my caring community of teachers more effectively. It self-organizes the content automatically according to what I want. The fact that someone else is managing it (for technical issues, updates, etc.) instead of me having to hire a webmaster makes it so simple. It has been quite dependable and works effectively for our global audience. In fact, even without advertising, somehow Subhub's SEO has brought in email subscribers and members from many nations. I'm amazed.

Cons

We've had some glitches/growing pains with the old platform that we're on. I REALLY wish that some of the features in the new platform could be included in the old platform. Changing platforms is very complicated, though. The one thing that has been a bit of a challenge for us on the old platform is the Store. For some reason the store downloads on this old platform require sending an email link with the download. That has been a problem for some of our sales since people couldn't find that link, so we will probably close the Subhub Store and link to our TpT store instead. IF the Subhub Store on this old platform gets updated we can always reopen the Subhub store. :)

Response from SubHub

Hi Carol,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of us. You've always been a pleasure to support. And hold a special place in our company as a long time client.

Rebecca P.
Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Just what we needed to take our business to the next level

Reviewed on 2019/09/27

We needed to develop a subscription based platform to provide the many offerings we have in support of a social influencer based brand. It is the central hub for all things related to our business, so end users can find everything in one place. Once built, it has worked seamlessly for this purpose.

The build was a challenge because of the first account manager we had, but once we got a new one, things happened quickly and everything turned out beautifully.

Pros

The many features offered as part of the website, the ability to integrate pretty much any service/program, ease of use for our end users. Above all else, the fact that we could design a unique website for our business while integrating the subscription features and not look like a cookie cutter website.

Cons

The back office took some getting used to.
If you have anything developed for you, it's always a bit of a wait to get on the developers calendar.

Response from SubHub

Hi Rebecca, Glad we could help you move forward on your membership website.

Likelihood to recommend: 7.0/10

Kevin M.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

STOP YOUR SEARCH... SUBHUB IS THE REAL DEAL!

Reviewed on 2020/01/28

Pros

Way too many to list.

'Likes' are quite subjective. I will say this... for an individual with a baseline skill of navigating technology, the SubHub platform was really easy to learn. This is huge as I'm constantly on the back-end of the site and learned quickly how to navigate my way around. HUGE plus!

Cons

I suppose if I had to choose something, it would be not being able to send separate "welcome emails' for the different levels of subscription we offer. I wouldn't be surprised if the SubHub developers create an option for this in the near future based off my conversation with them regarding this topic.

Pierre s F.
Industry: Publishing
Company size: Self Employed

Subhub helped me create a website to boost my brand. The site is currently performing well .

Reviewed on 2018/05/29

Convenient way to post review

Pros

SERVICE SOUGHT
Subhub helped me create a website which is currently performing well the function of boosting my brand's image. This is the major need I had at the time.

THINGS I BENEFIT FROM SUBHUB WEBSITE DESIGN
- Friendly support on my website and blog.
- 24/7 monitoring is another feature I enjoy.
- Unlimited number of pages.
- Unlimited number of members.
- Security and Backups Expert.

WHAT BUSINESS SOLUTION I GOT FROM SUBHUB
- I needed a website to boost my brand and I got subhub.
- Subhub gave me a platform for my gifting.
- My brand has now got the professional look I wanted.
- The website is accessible though mobile and pc devices.
- I can connect my posts on my website with my social media accounts easily.

MY PERCEPTION OF THE JOB DONE
- The layout of the website has a very inviting appeal.
- I fell in love with the aesthetic appeal right from the start.
- The website did not take too long to complete. Very timely.

Cons

The pricing for website building, but it is worth it. In any case, I have not seen another company offering such a great service at a lower price.

Response from SubHub

Hi Pierre,

Thanks so much for your review!

Cathie B.
Industry: Broadcast Media

Best Membership Platform

Reviewed on 2019/11/08

We are an online media and magazine platform with paying and non paying members. We are able to connect our payments email and social media through SubHub and if we have questions or changes we need to make SubHub is right there immediately to help us. Superb customer service!

Pros

SubHub was one of the best decisions we made when deciding on a membership platform for our website. They were super helpful with the setup. Answered everyone of our questions right away. And have been an amazing partner for us throughout the two years we have used them. And their pricing works as your company grows which was what lead us to them

Cons

we haven’t found any problems with them at all.

Lisa C.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Great option for small businesses

Reviewed on 2019/06/11

The whole process of creating the site went very smoothly and it functions beautifully. The SubHub team works hard to help their clients be successful with their websites.

Pros

We chose to have SubHub custom design our site and it was well worth it - they did a beautiful job. Once you learn your way around, it's easy to use. Most importantly, when you have questions or need assistance, the support team is always super helpful. This allows us to manage the site ourselves at a reasonable cost, while still have the technical support we need from time to time.

Cons

While SubHub is often upgrading and adding features, there have been times that we've discovered our site could not function as we wished it to (without paying for additional custom features), and it is somewhat limited as far as integrating with other 3rd party applications.

Response from SubHub

Lisa thanks for your review. It's been a pleasure to help you build and grow your website.

We're working to improve our integrations and always try to compensate with exceptional support.

Chet D.

A great solution to create your own membership website

Reviewed on 2011/03/22

With this company becoming my primary income two years ago I wanted to ensure that I selected a provide who would be there, a reputable company with strong service & performance and a system that allowed me the creativity and freedom to design the site I needed & wanted.

I am in the process of launching a 2nd Members Website and so I have done a little research recently to ensure that SubHub will still deliver on my needs and based on everything I am reading & finding out - I am ready to launch this new site with SubHub again. I have no hesitation recommending SubHub to others!

Pros

I launched my own business - primarily based around/on a membership website. I did a fair amount of research and found SubHub. I am pleased I went with their services as two+ years later I have a strong web community with several hundred paying member/subscribers and more than 530 articles. The tools provided you by SubHub allows you to create a site with little computer knowledge. I do like the fact that I can enable the HTML function on each article to customize if I wish to. It has all the features & functions I think you could want in a members website including free hosting, video & audio support, integration with payment providers, levels of membership, pay per view access and a complete online storefront. SubHub customer service has been very responsive and helpful, and your account comes with a robust set of PDF how-to guides and the 'Owners Club' where you learn great ideas on building & managing your online community.

Cons

It is fairly minor but I find the Forum feature to be a bit lacking in aesthetics and function. If this were a critical component to me, I would either launch a sub-domain for my Forum and use perhaps a PHP product like phpBB. Other than that I have not really found any other downsides or deficits with the SubHub system.

Jake K.
Industry: Health, Wellness & Fitness

Fantastic Product With Superb Customer Service!

Reviewed on 2018/06/20

It's a major player in the online part of our business and eventually, 90% of what we do will be online anyway. So I'm very hopeful for the future and feel confident that I am working with such a terrific company.

Pros

SubHub is constantly improving and updating this software and since the recent facelift, they made I couldn't be happier with this service. Their customer service has always been extremely professional, prompt to respond to my questions or concerns, and always helpful when it comes to improving my experience.

Cons

It would be nice to be able to give my customers the option to stream our videos to their televisions straight from the website platform for ease of viewing. Other than that, I really don't have any major complaints at this time.

Response from SubHub

Hi Jake,

Thanks for this review. It's a pleasure working with you and watching you grow your business on SubHub!

Celeste G.
Industry: E-Learning
Company size: Self Employed

All Inclusive Platform for Building an Effective Membership Site with Actual Phone Support!

Reviewed on 2018/05/25

List is already included.

Pros

I am not a tech person at all, and one the most important features in any service for me is customer service. I know you have been there when you sign up for something that indicated you will get ALL the help you need, but soon learn that all that really means is that you can e-mail the team at any time and wait for a day or two for a response. . . And so on. . Well, with Subhub you can schedule as many phone support calls as you wish to help guide you through the process of building your site.

These are the features that I really like and recommend:
1.) Phone support
2.) E-mail support in real-time, complete with personalized, step-by-step instructional videos
3.) Quick troubleshooting with design and programming team
4.) An ALL inclusive platform that has EVERYTHING you need in a one stop shop experience!
a.) A Store to sell your products
b.) A digital delivery service ~ products are automatically e-mailed to customers upon payment.!
c.) An option to create your own affiliate program with their partner and integrate it on your site so that tracking is all done for you!
d.) Access to all members e-mails to send out specials and updates.
e.) Upload videos from Vimeo with embed code. Very EASY!
f.) Pricing for all of this to start your journey is less, PLUS you get a 14 Day Trial!

I highly recommend you taking them up on the 14 Day Trial! You will be HAPPY!

Cons

Sometimes I was challenged with a few limitations of what the software could or could not create for my site, but all the perks I do receive clearly outweighs this downfall.

Response from SubHub

Hi Celeste,

Thanks for this review! As you have experienced, our support team really loves to help our customers!!

Megan H.
Industry: Graphic Design

Amazing Customer Service

Reviewed on 2019/03/27

My overall experience with Subhub has been very positive. I needed a platform where I could offer multiple levels of memberships, plus an online store. Everything connects so well and we are very satisfied with the software. The customer service cannot be beat. They respond quickly to questions. They listen to feedback and suggestions. They solve all of my issues - even the ones that I caused! They are always very polite and patient. Highly recommend!

Pros

I have been using Subhub for my website for many years. They are easy to work with and always willing to help whenever there are any issues. They have regular updates and listen to their clients of what is needed.

Cons

We haven't had any negative experiences with Subhub.

Response from SubHub

Thank you Megan! It's been a pleasure to work with you.

Peter R.
Industry: Financial Services

Support/design group at Subhub are experts at helping you get your subscription site together.

Reviewed on 2018/05/25

Subhub provides a turnkey solution for our stock trading education subscription business.

Pros

Our experience was outstanding right from the beginning. The sales team took the time to understand our business needs and the degree of service that we required. I always felt that they had our interest at heart rather than offering the most expensive service. We opted for assistance with working with their standard templates which included a few hours of development customization. Again, we thought the Subhub team far out delivered our expectations. We simply couldn't believe the amount of hours they must've spent helping us put together our website for the price we paid. Further they put together individualized tutorials for subject matter that wasn't covered by their support area on the website. We were completely satisfied with the experience and you can see the result at https://www.traderounds.com

Cons

We are extremely satisfied with the software and service. If we had one complaint, it would be that they have not completed their upgrade to handle larger capacity videos yet. This will ultimately allow hosting of all our subscription videos including the much longer ones that we now have to place on Vimeo.

Response from SubHub

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your review. We've enjoyed working you you as well! Our team goal is always to treat a customer's website as if it were our own!

Helen M.

Customer of SubHub since 2012

Reviewed on 2019/09/06

I have been a customer of SubHub since 2012. I researched membership based, web hosting companies and SubHub was the most affordable I could find. I am still highly satisfied with my decision to choose SubHub! SubHub has helped me bring my vision to life and has given me the support I need to offer my passion and skills online to my members.

Pros

Easy to use and manage. Affordable pricing. Top of the line customer service (I always get a quick response if I need help)

Cons

Hard to customize/redesign/tweak layout without paying more

Response from SubHub

Thanks Bekah!

You've been a pleasure to support! We do recognise our platform has some design limitations and have been working hard to make improvements and soon will introduce a live editor.

Gregg P.
Industry: Education Management

The best decision I ever made for our business!

Reviewed on 2019/07/25

Greatest experience ever! Our business has more than doubled since going with SubHub, and the software has a lot to do with that! I highly recommend it.

Pros

How much functionality it has for an "out-of-the-box" membership -building site! If you have a subscription site, this is the best software you could use!

Cons

Because it's out-of-the-box, you do have to work with them if and pay more if you want customized features! But the pricing is very affordable compared to most web developers

Response from SubHub

Thanks Gregg!

So glad to know your experience has been positive and our platform has helped to support and grow your business. It's been a pleasure!

Alexis K.
Industry: Internet

Affordable, Customizable Membership Website Platform

Reviewed on 2019/10/21

Pros

The client-facing relationship management / project management team is very responsive and helpful. They are friendly, knowledgeable and go above and beyond by testing and making great recommendations for ways to improve your layout, enhance usability and explore external resources.
The back-end administrator portal is user-friendly and makes it easy to make formatting changes.
The monthly membership fee and custom development rate is reasonable and offers good value for the price.
SubHub offers an array of integration partners and offers a good degree of optionality and flexibility for custom development.

Cons

Requests for modifications to the site, or custom development work, can take some time to complete.
Formatting options can sometimes be a bit limited (in terms of changing text color, bullet types or spacing between paragraphs, for example) but it's really a very minor issue as there are plenty of customizable features.

Response from SubHub

Hi Alexis,

Thanks for your review. It's been wonderful to help you build and launch your website.

Jack B.
Industry: Financial Services

Subhub - Since 2010

Reviewed on 2018/10/05

Been using Subhub since 2010 and have never thought of an alternative platform. They fit every need we have in providing a newsletter service to the financial markets.

Pros

Ease of use and support. There is plenty of training documentation and you do not need to learn any code. The support staff is very responsive when a problem comes up and goes the extra mile to make sure you are satisfied!

Cons

Initially the eCommerce system was a struggle, but they have since created multiple options for eCommerce integration.

Response from SubHub

Thanks for your review Jack! It's been a pleasure to support you and your website.

Eric M.
Company size: Self Employed

Great customer service and good service

Reviewed on 2018/10/04

Please see my above comment. I really enjoy the team that puts this product overall.

Pros

I really like the SubHub team. They have been available, professional, and present to help me navigate the process of creating and subscription site. Their product is also very good and the web designers are knowledgeable. The recent upgrade that they did in 2017 was a significant improvement on an already good product. It is nice to see them striving to improve their product ongoing.

Cons

Every so often, the built in web editor might get slightly glitchy, but they have always responded quickly and helped rectify the glitches that occur.

Response from SubHub

Hi Eric,

Thanks for taking the time to post this review. As you mentioned, we are always working to improve our product to provide a better experience for our customers.

Bianca O.
Industry: Food & Beverages

I love this service

Reviewed on 2019/11/08

Pros

I’ve had my idea for my recipe membership for AGES but the tech held me back...and then the price lol.

I found subhub doing a casual search and signed up for the free trial. Life happened and I was granted a two week trial extension from customer service. I launched about a month ago and I already have members. The ease of use, customer support and features make sub hub a buy. I wish I found it sooner.

Cons

I would love some more Easy design features that are drag and drop.

Sean S.
Industry: Investment Management

Rare Earth SubHub Review

Reviewed on 2019/08/27

I have been very happy overall. Support is great. I searched for other solutions before subhub and nothing else compared for our needs and price.

Pros

Flxible. The application allows me to setup rules and conditions based on our needs.

Cons

I do have to do allot of manual configurations that I wish were more global to implement but I do not mind as long as it works.

Response from SubHub

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your review. It's great working with you. We do acknowledge there are limitations in our platform and always try to compensate with hands on support to help our customers achieve their needs.

Joseph T.
Industry: Entertainment

Great product!

Reviewed on 2019/09/18

Pros

Great product for subscription based companies.

Cons

Can take some getting used to. Need to do some reading and ask questions to support.

Response from SubHub

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your review. It's always pleasure to support you.

Glenn H.
Industry: Publishing

Fantastic service and support

Reviewed on 2020/02/21

SubHub have been first class. I would highly recommend the speedy setup service. We had a knowledgeable and talented designer help us produce a fantastic website that does exactly what we wanted it to do. We cannot recommend SubHub highly enough!

Pros

The software has been built from the ground up to do exactly what we needed to do. Very easy to use once you get to grips with how things work, and the support has been first class.

Cons

Very steep learning curve to begin with but worth persevering with. Exporting financial data could be improved.