LanSchool

Classroom management software for educational institutions

4,2
4,1
4,1
3,9
Eric K.
Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Wow! LANschool is just what the doctor ordered!

Reviewed on 2019/01/30

Pros

LANschool does exactly what it promises. It allows the teacher to control the computers (Mac/Win) in their classroom. They can see all the screens on the teacher machine. They can remote control the student computer. They can lock the student computer. Excellent software!

Cons

The price is a little high; however Lenovo has this software in a very niche market and can command a little more for the asking.

Response from Lenovo

Hello Eric - Thank you for your review and valuable feedback!

Industry: Higher Education

Manage Your Class Room With LanSchool

Reviewed on 2019/10/31

I found LanSchool is very useful when you have a class room of computers with a local network. It help to tech, manage, evaluate and etc.

Pros

I have a class room full with computers so when I teach its hard to monitor each student that what are them doing. So I came up with a solution that is using LanSchool. When we use LanSchool we can monitor what students are doing from teacher's computer. We can lock their computer to keep their attention to the main board. We can share the teacher's screen to the students' computer to clearly demonstrate something or to share a presentation. We grant or deny access to the internet from the student computers. If we need we can remotely control student computer. Students can't remove the software without credentials that are given at the installation.

Cons

There is a lag when casting teacher's screen or remote controlling a student computer. If it have a mobile application to monitor in distance it will be much more handy tool.

Response from Lenovo

Thank you for your thorough review! Regarding the lag issue that you mentioned, please contact our Support Team ([email protected]) and they can assist you in resolving that. - LanSchool Customer Success Team.

Sarah M.

Reviewed on 2020/02/25

My experience has been that they are trying to develop a strong tool but that it needs more work in an actual school environment.

Pros

LanSchool attempts to offer my school a platform for monitoring student laptops in our 1:1 environment. The pluses are that it allows teachers to view, take over, and adjust student computer screens when all is functioning properly. This is imperative in a 1:1 environment in a school.

Cons

What I've found on both the MacBook and Chromebook OSs is that students are really adept at finding ways to thwart their system. For instance, in many cases, they just need to toggle on and off their wifi connection or shut their laptop and open it for their teacher to lose access to their device. The teacher can only fix it by entirely rebooting their class. This is a real problem. It also can be slow and a big clunky in terms of features.

Response from Lenovo

Hello Sarah - Thank you for your review and valuable feedback! Regarding students turning off their Wi-Fi or closing their laptops, as it turns out, we do not have any way to control the operating system (Windows, macOS & Chrome OS) via LanSchool. We have heard from many school districts that if students continue to do those things, it becomes a disciplinary issue. Regarding the performance issues that you mentioned, our Product Managers and Development Teams are constantly working to improve product performance, reliability and security. We find that only a small percentage of our customers experience issues. We encourage all customers to ensure that they are on the latest version. You can find that and more at lenovosoftware.com/support/lanschool. Please let us know if there's anything we can assist you with by contacting us at [email protected] We're here to help!

Michael B.
Industry: Education Management

LanSchool is an adequate Classroom management utility.

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

LanSchool is a very affordable remote management / classroom management computer utility. It now supports Chromebooks, as well as traditional computers. In the past we have used it on Terminal Services operated labs, and found it invaluable to deploy and launch specific apps / websites at specific times, and to also keep students on task.

Coolest thing: Manage 30 identical machines, driving the same mouse and keyboard "virtually," clicking and navigating through an appl that needs to be setup. People usually watch in awe as all the mice move at once.

LanSchool is a very affordable package, that every school should at least evaluate.

Pros

LanSchool provides us with a dashboard, multi-screen overview of our students currently using it. It allows out to take control, limit, or launch applications / webpages as we wish.

Cons

LanSchool is pretty high bandwidth. Large Scale deployments might need some extra network considerations.

Response from Lenovo

Hello Michael - Thank you for the review and the very cool example! :-)

Jon V.

Reviewed on 2019/02/08

Pros

What I like most about this software is the ability to control an environment. I like that I can control a laptop(s) and "lock it down" if someone isn't doing what they're supposed to or aid with helping on an assignment through my own laptop.

Cons

What I like least about this software is at times there's a lag in what the student screen is displaying on my laptop to what the student is actually looking at on his/her end.

Response from Lenovo

Jon - Thank you for your review! In regards to the issue you listed about lag, please reach out to our Support Team and they will be more than happy to help you! You can reach them at [email protected]

Benjamin A.
Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Great remote access software for schools

Reviewed on 2020/05/19

For the period in which I used lanschool it was a great piece of software, allowing me as administrator to both remote onto staff and student computers to resolve issues occurring fast and smoothly.

Pros

Lanschool is a great easy to use remote access software for schools, it allows easy monitoring of both student and staff computers. Its also great for both teachers and administrators allowing teachers just to be limited to see and moderate students.

Cons

Although this doesn't affect the function of the software it does have an out of date design which may turn off new users to it.

Response from Lenovo

Hello Benjamin - Thank you for your review and valuable feedback! Also, we released a new version of LanSchool (Version 9) on April 13, 2020. The Teacher Console toolbar has a new look and feel!

Love for classroom management

Reviewed on 2019/11/18

Love using it, was pretty easy to learn, and not too many bugs.

Pros

Great to have for managing my students and their technology, such a time saver and helps keep students focused. Love showing my screen on their computers, controlling their screens if needed, mass sending out programs to prep computers (which saves a ton of time!), etc.

Cons

Expensive- not many schools have it. When I switch jobs we won’t have this and I’m so sad. I really hope it can be more accessible.

Response from Lenovo

Thank you for your review and valuable feedback! - LanSchool Customer Success Team

The Best Windows Observation Tool

Reviewed on 2020/05/12

It's been positive, but other products like GoGuardian are fast approaching them.

Pros

If you have a windows machine and need the ability to monitor what your students are doing this is the best.

Cons

It is only as fast as your network and your host machine so if you have slower and older machines, LANSchool might not work well.

Response from Lenovo

Hello - Thank for your review and valuable feedback!

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Cynthia P.
Industry: E-Learning
Company size: Self Employed

LANSchool Review

Reviewed on 2019/09/13

Pros

It’s great being able to keep an eye on what students are doing. Remote controlling them is also helpful to get them back on task.

Cons

For the block websites option, it only works some of the times. Also, the software looks dated from the 90s. It could probably be designed in a more modern fashion.

Response from Lenovo

Cynthia - Thank you for your review and valuable feedback! Regarding the look of the software, we have heard this from other customers as well and are incorporating that feedback into changes we'll make in future releases. About the website blocking issue, please contact us so we can help troubleshoot that and get it resolved for you. Please reach out to our Support Team at [email protected]

Tammy B.
Industry: Information Technology & Services

Love the Idea

Reviewed on 2018/12/13

An amazing concept, but very hard on older computers, slows them down to much.

Pros

Amazing idea, and terrific when you can see all the stations and how they are doing.

Cons

This program slows down everyone's computer, sometimes to the point where I have to uninstall.

Stephen H.
Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Accountability is a must!

Reviewed on 2019/09/24

I have enjoyed its use for quite a few years. Recently we transitioned to Lanschool Air, and I'm excited so far!

Pros

I am a teacher and staying abreast and a step ahead of my students' technical abilities is a must. Therefore, I love it how I can monitor my students' screens. There are many features that allow full student accountability.

Cons

I would like to see an app produced for Lanschool Air. I need mobility because I can't be seated at my desktop for all the lessons!
In addition, students using Google Classroom should not need to be asked for permission to view their desktop. Teachers have a responsibility to ensure that students are compliant with technology policies.

Response from Lenovo

Stephen - Thank you for your review and valuable feedback! We do have a Teacher's Assistant App for iOS - It allows you to walk around the classroom and control your Teacher Console using an iPad. Regarding the issue of students being asked to share their screen, there is a way to set screen sharing to Active Tab and it will not prompt the student. If you would like more information about either of these features, please contact us at [email protected]

Industry: Computer & Network Security
Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

LanSchool For Computer Lab In A School

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2019/12/01

As an undergraduate of studying networks and stuff I was asked from my school to implement a class room management system for my school's computer lab. That where I used LanSchool, which full filed almost all the requirement we had. Easy to use and manage. Its a good software and very helpful when managing a classroom.

Pros

LanSchool is amazing it comes with some great features that make students and teachers get more interactive and live in the learning-teaching environment. Its very good option that the students can't remove the software from their computer with out proper installation file. We can remotely control computers in the class, lock computers to get students' attention to the board, share teacher's screen to the student's monitor, restrict internet access or monitor it, remotely shutdown computers, remotely run a program on students' computers, send quizzes and get answers from student and etc. Those kind of features are very interesting nice to have in a classroom to make it more smarter.

Cons

One thing is that the price of the software is bit high for a school in South Asian region to have. I hope that the software will support for Linux distributions in time. Screen sharing is working fine but that video isn't running smoothly there is a bit of lag with it.

Response from Lenovo

Hello and thank you for your thorough review and valuable feedback! Regarding the screen sharing issue you mentioned, please contact our Support Team ([email protected]) and they will be happy to help.

Renee R.

Reviewed on 2018/11/02

I feel like this is an easy program to use and is very beneficial to our classrooms.

Pros

I love this product because it helps me keep my eyes on my students. I can view and control the students computers and I can also show my computer to all of my students desktops so that I can show them how to do things.

Cons

I haven't noticed many cons in this program. I have used Altiris in the past and this was an easy product to move to so it was easy to change.

Joseph L.

Lanschool computer monitoring

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/11/06

when we transitioned to Chromebooks We looked for a more full featured chromebook suite. and found that. lan school was a nice choice for the time we had it.

Pros

After initial setup Lanschool did the job i needed well, i needed to be able to view student screens, and launch websites and apps. as well as trigger shutdown and reboots from teh teacher console

Cons

the setup got complicated when trying to incorporate chromebooks into the mix but this may have changed as it has been 3 years since i used the program.

Response from Lenovo

Joseph - Thank you for the review! We just wanted to make you aware that we released a cloud-based version of LanSchool last year called LanSchool Air that removes the need to have an on-site connection server. LanSchool Air is available for Windows, macOS & Chromebooks. You can find more information at lanschool.com. - LanSchool Customer Success Team.

Likelihood to recommend: 5.0/10

Jonathan R.
Industry: Education Management

Easy to use classroom management software

Used Other for 2+ years
Reviewed on 2019/12/10

It is a great tool for teachers to use to manage their classroom and labs.

Pros

Console is laid out nice for our end users. It is super easy to set up. The issues that we have had haven't been major.

Cons

It can be buggy at times. One example is where all of the pc screens are still able to be controlled from the windows login screen except for a few. Usually uninstalling and reinstalling the client fixes the issue.

Response from Lenovo

Hello Jonathan - Thank you for the review! Regarding the issue you mentioned, we released a new version (8.0.2.82) on 12/16/19. We recommend updating to this latest version as we are always improving performance with each new release.

Stacy P.

Easy to use and a great classroom management tool. Also great for collaborating with students.

Reviewed on 2017/10/09

Pros

I like that I am able to help students manage their time wisely. It is also easy to check for understanding and communicating with students.

Cons

Sometimes when I restirct usage of certain sites it interferes with sites I want students to be able to use.

Eric K.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

I love LanSchool

Reviewed on 2020/01/01

I've been satisfied and will continue to use

Pros

I love the ability to control the computer screens of those in my class and direct their learning and attention to what we are learning about.

Cons

It can be difficult to set up and remembering what channel to broadcast on.

Response from Lenovo

Hello Eric and thank you for the review! If you need any assistance with set up or channels, please reach out to us at [email protected]

David S.

Best-in-Class Lab/Computer Monitoring Software

Reviewed on 2017/01/05

Although it's designed for schools, LanSchool is one of the most versatile software packages for any environment where a teacher or manager needs to monitor the usage of multiple computers at the same time. Robust features like file distribution and collection, keyboard history, two-way audio communication with individual clients, and screen sharing from any computer to any other computer(s) are all organized in an easy-to-access and customizable toolbar. Some advanced features take some time to get to know, but it is clear that this company has listened to feedback because they've developed features that are so perfect for the setting the software is designed for. Highly recommended for schools, libraries, or even public-facing computers in a business or employee-used computers in a call center type setup. This software is extremely versatile and very well-supported. We are very pleased with it and have been for years.

John F.
Industry: Music
Company size: Self Employed

Annoying for students, but that's what it's for.

Used Other for 1+ year
Reviewed on 2019/07/07

It works well for what it advertises. It should be installed on school devices for middle school and high school age kids as a way to increase productivity. It did for me, and it will probably work for other people.

Pros

I was once playing a game during a class I was taking, and the administrator 'LanSchooled' my computer. It shut down that tab, and I wasn't allowed to play it or access that tab for 30 minutes. It worked well.

Cons

There's nothing for students to do to interact with the teachers in these situations. If there were to be a communication aspect to justify why you had that open or a way to communicate with the teacher without making a public scene, that would improve the software immensely.

Response from Lenovo

Hello John, thank you for the review and the feedback! There is a way for students to ask the teacher a question by clicking on the LanSchool icon (either in the Windows System Tray or the macOS Menu Bar). If you need any assistance with this or any other features, please reach out to us via [email protected]

Likelihood to recommend: 4.0/10

Claire C.

Perfect for schools

Reviewed on 2019/01/19

All of the teachers at my school use LanSchool to keep students on task, from elementary all the way to high school.

Pros

This software is exactly what schools need in this day and age. I sometimes give my students assignments on computers, and I recently realized that kids were using online calculators when I wasn't looking in order to solve problems without doing the work. With LanSchool, I can see exactly what each student has on their screen. Even just knowing that I have this ability prevents students from being off task.

Cons

I found it difficult to set up LanSchool and to create class rosters. However, once you get used to the software it shouldn't be a problem.

Response from Lenovo

Hello Claire, thank you for your review and valuable feedback! If you are experiencing any issues with LanSchool, pease contact our Support Team ([email protected]) and they will be more than happy to assist you.

Iqbal K.
Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

LanSchool Review

Reviewed on 2018/09/27

Excellent learning/management tool for differentiated learning.

Pros

Manage classroom internet activity and share teachers screen.

Cons

Nothing to not like about LanSchool really.

Allan M.

LanSchool Not Quite What Expected

Reviewed on 2016/12/06

Our college purchased and used LanSchool in the computer labs for the last two years. While being able to watch what the students were doing and have them ask questions quietly was good there was a big problem with some of the features like limiting websites. It seemed to only work on one browser and, even then, not always.

Since I test through the lab and want to limit their web presence I had to force them to use IE or not worry about the exposure.

Pros

Could see students working

Cons

No collaboration tools between students
No presentation options for students
Website Limiting only on one browser

Likelihood to recommend: 3.0/10

Raphael A.

good

Reviewed on 2019/05/02

it's wow!

Pros

how is able to make work easy when in the lab

Cons

it's easy to work with as compare with the few i have used

Response from Lenovo

Raphael - Thank you for your review!

David G.

It simple and just works for monitoring

Used Other for 6-12 months
Reviewed on 2017/09/19

Pros

It's simplicity. The Lite version is perfect for just our needs for just monitoring students when they are taking an online class and especially when taking quizzes and test. The full version would be sweet, but w/ funding being stretch I am sure that my request for the full version would not be approved.

Becky S.

LanSchool-Great idea, doesn't deliver

Reviewed on 2014/12/05

I really like all of LanSchool's features, however, they do not deliver on some important features. I need features like "view keystroke history" when a student has been caught doing something inappropriate. However, features like this do not work consistently; maybe it will work one time when you need it but then the next time, there is no keystroke history whatsoever.

LanSchool is still not compatible with Windows 8. Our district is making the move, since Windows 8 has been out so long, but then we will have no monitoring. I am currently looking hard for a replacement.