My Music Staff

Cloud-based music school management software

Anamarie S.
  • Industry: Music

It's great once you get to know it

Reviewed on 2020/05/22

For a relatively low cost, this software is helping me grow and define my business. The company was extremely responsive when the pandemic hit and new features were unveiled quickly. I am able to run my appointments just as easily from zoom as face to face using the software tools they provided. Overall, I would recommend this product as a great tool for a studio.

Pros

It makes scheduling and keeping track of payments a breeze. Everything is all in one place and generating reports is also simple. For the most part, it does more than I had expected/hoped.

Cons

For people who prefer having support via the phone, this is not a good option. There are many times that I wish I could just dial a number to get an answer. That being said, they respond quickly via email. There is also a learning curve with this software that might be a barrier to some.

Response from Port 443

Hi Anamarie. Thank you for the lovely review. I do just want to point out that we do have phone support as well! You can reach our team toll-free at 1-888-732-6134 :)

Brian k B.

Simple and Very Useful

Reviewed on 2021/03/22

I am very happy to have discovered the application. I had tried Music Teachers Helper about six years ago and that did not serve my needs as well as this. In particular, given the move to online lessons, MMS came at the perfect time.

Pros

There was, as with any new multi-function software, a learning curve but MMS makes it as easy to learn. The unique-for-each-student online portal makes student-teacher interaction easy. Online resources hub is incredibly convenient as well, as are the integrations with Skype/Facetime/Zoom, Paypal, email, and automatic invoicing and balance amounts.

Cons

The auto-generated lesson fee feature is a bit confusing for me (showing a balance owed for lessons which haven't occurred) but even more so for the students. It is possible to turn off, but sometimes seems that doesn't take effect.
Also, allowing students to upload files in the online resources section would be a good thing as well.

Jacqueline F.

A Great Addition for Admin Purposes

Reviewed on 2021/03/16

Very positive experience.

Pros

Once I got the hang of the software, I found it very helpful. The Customer Support was amazing as well. They are very attentive and supportive.

Cons

I am still getting familiar, so not able to list cons as of yet.

Tina M.
  • Industry: Fine Art

Awesome!

Reviewed on 2018/06/22

Huge time saver!

Pros

For me, the best feature is the ease of scheduling lessons and ensembles. Summer is more complicated for me because family schedules are less regular. This program allows parents to check my schedule, find an open time that works for them and register for it - all with no e-mails back and forth with me! They can do this each week if they want and if something comes up and they need to reschedule, they can just do it without multiple emails. This is a huge time saver! I also really like the ease of entering payments at the lesson. I can handle this before the student leaves and put the check/cash in my wallet. Done! My old paper system seemed to take longer for me. Oh, and for scheduling ensembles, I can create an ensemble time and notify students in like 30 seconds! Then I just wait for them to register, or not. If not enough students register, I just cancel the ensemble and everyone is notified. This used to require a boatload of emails and texts. And one more thing, my summer used to be full of students forgetting to come to lessons because they don't come every Tuesday at 2pm. I was just not going to spend the time to send reminder emails to each student manually. Now, My Music Staff automatically sends a reminder email (or text) to the the student and/or parent the day before. So far, I have only had one student no show because they forgot. I don't have to feel guilty about charging for it, they were reminded.

Cons

I am getting used to the attendance pop-up. Most of my students are with me for a number of years and we always work on scales, etudes and technique pieces, and repertoire pieces. I have the books that I commonly use for scales, etudes and technique set up as Repertoire and then use the Notes to assign pages or specific pieces as well as for comments. This automatically copies to each lesson so this shows what I assigned and I can adjust it for the current lesson. I am not sure if this is developing a history or not for the student. I guess the biggest hurdle for me has been getting used to the process of recording the lesson while the student is there. Mostly, it is just adjusting from my custom paper lesson book to keying things on a screen. It would be extremely helpful to be able to see the end time of the lesson on this pop-up (currently just the start time shows) and also when I will see this student for their next lesson.

Response from Port 443

Hi Tina,

Thanks for leaving such a detailed review! A surprising amount of time can be taken up by students and parents reaching out about missed lessons or new schedules; I'm glad we could help with our automated schedule and student portal!

When you record notes or assign repertoire, your students do have a history! Reach out to us at [email protected]musicstaff.com to find out more.

Jennifer C.
  • Industry: Performing Arts

MMS is a Huge Time Saver!

Reviewed on 2018/09/13

Scheduling is so much smoother, and placed in the hands of the students. That is huge! It saves so much time, allowing me to focus more on non-administrative aspects of teaching.

The option to invoice students provides a professional (and far less awkward than "asking") means of reminding students when fees are due, how much, and for what services.

The system has also influenced how I handle logistics of planning for master classes, recitals, workshops, etc. I use the MMS calendar to require registration for such activities which streamlines the process, presents a firm deadline, facilitates pre-payment, etc. These aspects were cumbersome and less organized when I tried to balance them through trails of emails. Now, it's simplified, efficient, and effective.

Although I do still sometimes use email and social media platforms, MMS also provides a central location for announcements and important documents that can always be accessed by studio members.

Grateful for MMS and all it has to offer!

Pros

The scheduling platform is fantastic. I used to send countless, lengthy, endlessly-threaded emails to schedule lessons for my large private voice studio. The MMS scheduling system has saved me so much time, reduced clutter in my email box, and put the responsibility of cancelling/re-scheduling lessons into the hand of my students. Any schedule adjustment made by a student prompts an immediate, automated notification to me, which keeps me informed without having to initiate and handle the scheduling issue myself.

As my studio has continued to grow, the billing / accounting aspect of the software has been very helpful as well. It helps me keep better records of payment, especially when methods of payment range from checks to cash to paypal and credit card.

Cons

There is a glitch in the system with website page editing that I hope MMS is able to fix. Although I love the ease with which I am able to build the website through MMS, I am frustrated by the ongoing issues with editing.

I also would love to see the Repertoire section open up to allow students to submit and organize their own repertoire on the MMS platform, rather than requiring the teacher to do it all.

David H.

MMS has been our savior

Reviewed on 2018/09/17

MMS has been a life saver. We had actually contracted with another provider about a year before MMS. They promised a lot and had a good looking product/site, but the business management piece just wasn't working. We were never able to roll that out to our students or teachers and wasted a lot of time. MMS worked from day one. The import of student files was easy. Accounts were set up without any problems. As a nonprofit music school, we do things a little differently from a for profit business. We have been able to adapt the functionality of MMS to work with our system. The connection with PayPal was a tremendous benefit. We are now able to offer auto payment to our students. Scheduling is handled easily. We do not use MMS for payment of teachers, but MMS generates all the reports that we need to easily track lessons and pay our teachers quickly. MMS saves us about 4-5 hours per week in handling attendance vs. our previous methods. I can't say enough good things about it. We have 15 teachers using the software and they love it. This has made all of it easier. Scheduling, cancelling lessons, rescheduling lessons, attendance, communication--all of it is so much easier. Remote access from everywhere is great too. It works well from home, pc, tablet and iphone. This has transformed our music school and we are so pleased and look forward to implementing even more features as they become available

Pros

Easy to use, works well with multiple users, gives the students and families online access to their account, provides an auto-pay option, manages billing easily, great customer service - so much more I could add.

Cons

Wish the online registration widget could be a bit more attractive for new student registrants.

Jessica E.

A Game Changer for All Private Music Teachers

Reviewed on 2018/09/15

MMS has made running my own private studio a breeze. Everything I need for my studio is in one place, and the automation eliminates my need to spend hours at the computer or have a secretary. I can't imagine having to manage my studio any other way.

Pros

I love the billing process with My Music Staff! Before using MMS, I spent hours creating and sending invoices and then I would have to chase down payments every month. Now it creates and sends the invoices automatically each month and parents pay me on time, because they receive reminders and it is so easy for them to push a button and pay online. I was so surprised in my first month with MMS when parents were sending me payments while I was out enjoying my time off with family - I completely forgot that invoices had gone out already, and I was able to sit back and let MMS do all the work.

Cons

The only improvements that could be made to MMS is in the website section. I love the design and look of MMS, and that is one of the reasons I chose to use it. It looks so much better and it is so much easier to use than some of their competitors like Music Teacher's Helper. I even love the designs of MMS's ads on facebook and instagram, and the designs of their new printables. While the design for MMS is the best I have seen, the website template designs are not good. The designs look outdated and the personalization features are no where near Wordpress, Squarespace, or other website design companies. This issue is not a big deal breaker for me, because so many of the other features on MMS are fantastic, however it is the only section of MMS that I don't use.

Dana B.
  • Industry: Fine Art

Easy to use!

Reviewed on 2019/09/19

I use MMS daily and it is a crucial resource for the success of my studio. The price point is fantastic. Overall I am a very pleased customer.

Pros

I have used my Music Staff software for almost 3 years. I've tried other programs but I believe that MMS is the BEST resource for your money!

Cons

The only issues I've run into are just minor in detail. I kinda would like there to be an app and maybe a better functionality on mobile devices.

Response from Port 443

Hi Dana,

We're happy to hear My Music Staff is working hard for you and your business! You'll be happy to know our team is currently working on a number of enhancements to improve the mobile experience.

Lynn H.

Best Bang for the Buck

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

One of the biggest draws for me was the price. I get a *lot* of functionality for a price that doesn't break the bank. As a (very!) small business trying to keep afloat, this means a lot.

Pros

I have tried many types of music studio management software; online, offline, big, little and in-between. My Music Staff is the best, hands down. The price is extremely reasonable, with no increases for larger studios. I can communicate with my students and parents easily, and put together invoices with just a few clicks. I find it intuitive, and their customer support is very helpful and responsive. I can access it on multiple devices, so my students' needs are taken care of no matter where I am. I recommend it to all music studios, large and small.

Cons

I wish there were more default choices, and I would like to see it a bit easier to create invoices for semester/yearly based tuition.

Nicholas T.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

So happy with MMS

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

Really great - my teachers really enjoy their time using the application and managing their students and the body of work for each individual. We found tax time a breeze because of the reporting function and we would love to set up PayPal too.
Great system and great service. The facebook group is a welcome feature.

Pros

The calendar is user friendly and turns a nightmare of scheduling into a recurring dream (and it syncs to my iPhone's calendar!! Woot!)

Cons

I would really love to have an administrator option that was clearly defined and separated all the details from teachers. I have someone in my business who doesn't teach and purely administrates and so clear definition for an administrator would be great!

Response from Port 443

Hey Nicholas! There is a way to limit what privileges an admin user has. Feel free to reach out to [email protected] and we'll coach you through it :)

Kurstin B.

Outstanding - would definitely recommend

Reviewed on 2018/09/13

An amazing program and I don't know what I would do without it.

Pros

I am the Head Teacher of Creative and Performing Arts at a High School; I also run a school band program. It has been a very useful tool for admin, accountability (student and tutor logs), timetabling, lessonn reminders and also from a data base perspective. It provides a easily accessible web based platform to connect a range of people that don't always have the opportunity to meet up.

Cons

I would like to be able to forward sent emails. This is really useful when I am contacting parents about overdue fees.

Response from Port 443

Hey Kurstin! Did you know you could actually setup automatic overdue invoice reminders? No need to do it manually! Reach out to [email protected] and we can help you get this up and running :)

Immanuel V.
  • Industry: Music

Absolutely fantastic tool for any music school

Reviewed on 2019/05/13

Through mymusicstaff we sorted out our timetabling, added all our 17 tutors, process payrolls, create studio reports, manage attendance and so much more. It is easy to use, can be used on desktop and mobile devices and is incredibly reliable and easy to use.

Pros

Does absolutely everything we need! Scheduling, communication, payroll, reports, cancellations, attendance... everything is intuitive and reliable.

Cons

Sometimes when loading the application the current day doesn’t show any appointments and the site needs to be refreshed.

Response from Port 443

Hey Immanuel!

Thanks so much for your wonderful feedback! We're happy to hear we've been able to streamline and automate all that costly admin work.

We weren't able to reproduce the issue you are describing when we take a peek at your account. We suspect that you accidentally bookmarked a particular date with no lessons rather than the basic home agenda URL. Our team would be more than happy to get you back on track! You can send an email to [email protected]

Matt B.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

My Music Staff has changed my lesson life!!!

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

My Music Staff has literally changed the way I keep track of students/lessons/fees. I am way more organized, have easier communication with students and parents, and can keep track of how much students owe with EASE! Thanks guys!!!

Pros

I love the ease of scheduling, the fact that all my lessons are in day view as well as calendar view, and most important for me, it tracks how much my students owe so I don't forget to charge them!

Cons

One thing about changing/ trading a student's time with another - it's awkward. You have to delete one student, change the time of the other student, and then add the other student back in - there's no ability to swap times with 2 students. If that could be fixed, I would love life!

Piero B.
  • Industry: Entertainment

The best option for music studio management

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

I have been teaching privately for over twenty years and made the transition to an All-Digital workflow long before most of my colleagues. I worked with a number of only scheduling platforms and found most of them very frustrating, or not structured properly for this field. My Music Staff does both and I have recommended it to colleagues many times. It is the centerpiece of my operation and all communication and scheduling flow​ through it.

Pros

My Music Staff is tailored to the needs of practitioners in our field. Handling families with multiple children in the studio, or appointment types that need to accommodate​ multiple participants is effortless.

Cons

I've been sitting and thinking about this for a while. There are a couple of minuscule things about the calendar that might be nice to change, but I think they are the way they are because it is an online platform. It's really solid application.

Kerri B.
  • Industry: Music

Completely changed my business for the better!!!!!

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

I spent years doing my own attendance on paper, and using excel and charts. It was terrible, and so time consuming, not to mention I lost a lot of money on mathematical errors, and not being able to keep proper track of all my clients and their pay schedules. After getting My Music Staff, I know feel in control, and can run my business easily and effectively - and so QUICK!!!!!! Thank you a million times over!

Pros

It's so easy to use, and it makes attendance and payment recording so effortless! I love how many features and options, especially the invoice creator! Overall this is a need for anyone in music lesson business! We don't need to be spending hours doing accounting and record keeping - this allows us to focus on our main objective, teaching incredible singers and musicians!!!! :)

Cons

I don't have any cons! I really like how this software was created!

Nancy K.

Everything I need!

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

This software easily automates processes that are very cumbersome to do manually. I do not use the student portal feature yet, but I love the scheduling, invoicing, and messaging features. And the event reminder texts and emails help our students so much!

Pros

Customer service is AWESOME. Quick response and have always successfully helped me with any questions or issues!

Cons

I wish it had a true app interface. But the mobile website works well as a substitute. For some reason I struggle with the make-up lesson tracking feature, and I would like to be able to customize reports better as well as create my own reports that may not be standard based on specific desired fields of info.

Angelina S.

I love MMS!

Reviewed on 2018/11/27

I love it! So user friendly and a wonderful program

Pros

I love that I can see my schedule as well as upcoming classes/events for the school I work with!

Cons

I wish there was a tab for teacher availability

Response from Port 443

Hey Angelina,

We're glad to hear you've been loving My Music Staff. You're going to love us even more after I tell you that you can already record a teacher's availability!

Here's what you'll need to do:

1. Navigate to "Teachers & Admins" from the main menu on the left.
2. Click on the blue "Edit" button to the left of your selected teacher.
3. Select the "Availability" tab.
4. Click the "Add Availability" button.
5. Fill out the applicable fields on the "Teacher 6. Availability" pop-up with the correct information.
7. Click "Save".

Megan M.

Great program!

Reviewed on 2019/08/22

Pros

This program is so helpful in keeping me organized. I used to lose track of all my invoices and payments and would wind up invoicing people more than once or after they already paid. With this software you can apply a default price for each student as well so you don’t have to manually make the invoices every month, the program does it for you. It was also difficult to keep track of when lessons were using just my phone calendar. With this program I can schedule recurring lessons easily, keep track of make up credits and make up lessons, holidays and days the studio is closed. So far I haven’t gotten the parents totally using the program to check on the calendar but I intend to encourage them to do so. I used to do paper calendars and it was very confusing and not everything would fit. The message feature is also great - I open up a new message to my student during their lesson and as I assign them things to practice over the next week I type it in the message and then send it to them at the end of the lesson. You can also attach files so sometimes I record warmups or music and attach it so they can practice with actual music. Can’t say enough about how great this program is or how helpful it has been, not to mention the reasonable cost.

Cons

I find the expenses and revenue tab a little difficult to navigate but I’m still getting used to it. I have had a little bit of trouble getting used to invoicing as well because I’m used to automatically entering the cost in each invoice, but once you get used to it it’s very easy.

Christy M.
  • Industry: Music

I'm not a reviewer normally

Reviewed on 2018/09/13

First, I have to say I NEVER submit reviews for things. I just feel like I don't have time. And frankly, there are few things that truly WOW me. I am only writing this because My Music Staff has wowed me. I would refer it to any professional in the music world. I have a quickly growing group piano and Kindermusik studio and I have been able to manage all of it with this software. I have my website posted through My Music Staff. I do all of my billing and parent communication with this software. It is one of the BEST purchases I have made for my business.

Pros

I appreciate being able to sign up for something that has a set price no matter how it is used. I like that it is simple and straightforward - with every feature being practical and useful. It's not a bunch of showy fluff. It all works and works well. It is simple to set up and is absolutely packed with useful features!

Cons

This is so minor but I wish I could link audio files or attach video files WITH/INSIDE my notes for students and classes in the Student Portal.

Andrea R.

Game Changer!

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

Before, I spent so much time keeping track of invoicing, payments, writing out receipts, etc. This is saving me so much more time, and I have the peace of mind that ALL my info is in one spot.

Pros

I love how it organizes every aspect of my home studio- once you input all your student info as needed, it literally does the work for you in regards to billing, etc. I LOVE how putting together the website is SO much easier than others I’ve tried- I cancelled my subscription to my old website. I haven’t even used all the options yet, and I feel that this software is definitely money well spent! Highly recommend trying it for a month. I’m not really good at anything related to computers, etc, but I can do this! The “help” button IS helpful, and if you cant get your answer there, then the helpful staff will answer your question for you.

Cons

If I had to choose something, I’d say I wish I could rewrite the automated text message that gets sent out to my students...It may be able to do that already, I just haven’t figured it out yet

Response from Port 443

Hey Andréa! Great feedback!

You can actually customize all of the automated messages that are sent by email or text. Reach out to [email protected] for some help. You could also use the "Help" section and take a look for our "Can I customize the emails that My Music Staff sends out?" article.

Patrick M.

I LOVE this Program!

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

My Music Staff has been an asset to my studio- with 40 students I couldn't keep it running on my own, this has made my life complete!

Pros

It's so easy to use- everything is where you expect it to be, and the pricing is great compared to other companies on the market. I switched to MMS 3 years ago and I would never go back! I use it for my personal studio and my work's music studio that I oversee! 10/10 I recommend it to every teacher I meet!

Cons

I actually have no complains about this software, anytime I've had a question the support staff answers it almost instantly- it has been a real joy!

Rebekah T.
  • Industry: Music

Every teacher needs this for their studio!

Reviewed on 2018/10/18

I love it! Very user-friendly, and automation has taken many hours of work off my plate every week!

Pros

I love the ease of invoicing straight off the studio calendar! Families love to login, make payments online, and see their lessons/recitals schedule on the calendar. Teacher notes emailed directly from calendar/attendance make the connections possible if parents aren't present on a weekly basis. I love everything about MyMusicStaff and highly recommend it!

Cons

I dream of one day being able to directly connect to QuickBooks from MyMusicStaff!

Great for small schools with multiple teachers

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

It's almost perfect. I've gone through three other platforms over the last 11 years, and this is pretty great. I really wish I could control my email marketing and funnel with an integration to Mailchimp or Drip or any other modern email platform. Sure, most music teachers and schools may not use that now, but this would feature would future proof the software and keep almost any school going forever. I guarantee there will be other competitors offering more flexibility.

Pros

I can track all my staff's schedules, payroll and also bill clients.

Cons

Lack of an open API to integrate with other marketing software like email, sales pages, etc.

Caitlin C.

Huge time saver!

Reviewed on 2018/09/13

Pros

My Music Staff really is like having an office assistant. All of my students' contact info is in one place. I'm able to create mass emails that are still personalized to each student with their email template creator. And I just can't live without the automatic invoice system. It saves me hours every week! I also love seeing my daily agenda, and all the info for each student right on the homepage.

Cons

I wish that the calendar view from the student's perspective would automatically show all of my lessons, even if they are full. That would help my students understand what my schedule is like on a day to day basis. I also think the calendar interface for the students is a little confusing when they are registering for a different lesson time. Most of my students still come to me to reschedule lessons, rather than using the site.

Glenna M.
  • Industry: Music

I recommend My Music Staff constantly!

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

I used a ledger for my first three years of teaching piano lessons. It was a disaster trying to keep track of payments, attendance, and taxes. Even a spreadsheet didn’t help me. But when I made the switch to My Music Staff a few years ago, suddenly EVERY part of bookkeeping and scheduling was easy. Once the online payment options was added, I saw an increase in on-time payments. I will always use My Music Staff!

Pros

I love the scheduling, keeping track of attendance, invoice options, keeping track of my tax info, and the online payment option.

Cons

Nothing. I love it and can’t find any feature that I don’t like.