Alex B.

Firsthand and support

Reviewed on 2020/08/17

I've really enjoyed working with the Firsthand team. They are quick to respond and focused on service.

Pros

When looking for a mentoring program, we did look and research a variety of options. We like the look, feel, and resources provided by Firsthand. We thought it would help our members see the value in a system like this. Above all, their customer support has been incredible, and we really appreciate their continued support of our efforts.

Cons

Like many new initiatives, we've been continuing to work on our rollout and getting our members to use a new platform. However, Firsthand has been great in working with us to brainstorm ideas and help however they can.

Jay F.

Chico State Review

Great

Pros

Affinity Groups are included in price. PeopleGrove charged a separate fee for each group

Cons

Nothing - I think it is a great product.

Stephanie S.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

The students that use it, love it

Reviewed on 2020/08/20

Firsthand provides a wealth of professionals at the finger tips of students to connect with. This is invaluable in an age where making online jobs applications alone is not enough.

Pros

The students that engage with Firsthand love it. Students were able to access professionals at short notice and even at weekends and were impressed with the their knowledge and willingness to help. Being able to have these conversations with friendly professionals is a great starting place for students new to networking to have a go in what feels like a safer environment.

Cons

We're in a very 'noisy' digital world so getting students to engage with the product is our biggest challenge. Firsthand have been supportive is supplying promotional materials which has been useful.

Iara A.

Firsthand has made my job easier!

Reviewed on 2020/08/21

Pros

Firsthand helped make my job easier by allowing us to pair my program mentees and mentors in a simple way. Although my company uses Firsthand a little differently than most companies do, the Firsthand team was all ears and made small changes so the platform could be even more beneficial to us.

Cons

Some new features do not always work the first time around and updates/changes are not always done in a timely manner.

Nicole T.

Love Firsthand!

Reviewed on 2020/08/23

I'm still fairly new to using Firsthand but love it so far! Using the software is easy and customer service/support is amazing! [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been extremely helpful in getting me set-up as an administrator and explaining all the different features. The whole Firsthand team is always willing to hold a private training session and give you their undivided attention. Very much appreciated!

Pros

I like how the software is simple and easy to use/navigate whether you are an administrator, student or alumni.

Cons

I have no complaints about the software.

Yolanda W.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

Good

Reviewed on 2020/08/14

Pros

There are coaches from different industries

Cons

There are not enough Asian companies and coaches

Lynn L.

A newcomer to the platform

Reviewed on 2020/08/13

Pros

I like the groups feature. I like that participates can go into a affinity/group and see others like them who had similar experiences. Sometimes it makes it easier to reach out if you have something in common with them.

Cons

I wish there was more back-end reporting

Belinda D.

Year 1 Firsthand

Reviewed on 2020/08/29

Matching mentors and mentees in our workforce development programs.

Pros

Very easy to customize this software, which we are doing to support many programs and collaborative partners.

Cons

It would be nice it had more integration options besides LinkedIn.

Richard P.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Reviewed on 2020/08/13

Pros

It was easy to get setup and use. It’s very intuitive, and didn’t require a lot of digging to find what I was looking for.

Cons

There were no specific features I felt were lacking.

Sara T.

Alumni connections

Reviewed on 2020/08/13

Overall, the training was useful and support questions were promptly answered and helpful.

Pros

The software was easy to adapt to our purposes and different audiences to allow specific communications and experiences for different groups.

Cons

As with anything, it takes time to adapt and get users on board.

Denise W.

Excellent Client Experience

Reviewed on 2020/08/14

Pros

The software works really well and has helped thousands of students and alumni at our university connect to have meaningful conversations. What most impresses me about Firsthand is the dedication the entire company has to help their clients solve solutions. This spring Firsthand helped my university deliver a virtual career fair for the first time. This event would have been otherwise canceled, and hundreds of teaching credential students would have missed out on the opportunity to connect with potential employers. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and his team worked tirelessly to support us. They were innovative, problem solvers, that were not afraid to dive into a new project with us. I would full-heartedly recommend Firsthand to any university.

Cons

I have no cons to report. My experience was positive all around.

Nichole P.

Firsthand Platform

Reviewed on 2020/08/13

Firsthand has helped us streamline our mentoring program, but it could still use some improvements. The customer support should be a little better and faster. Also, I feel like the users should have an option as to whether to contact the admin or the user support directly through the platform.

Pros

The combination of features is helpful for different purposes other than mentoring, but it especially drives those one-on-one mentoring connections.

Cons

The current registration process is a little long and tiresome. Additionally, it needs to be more customizable, which I know the developers are working on, but the original product we started using over a year ago was very rigid.

Patty S.
  • Company size: 5 001-10 000 Employees

A great tool for your University community to network; get and give career help

Reviewed on 2020/08/17

Pros

I work on the admin side for the alumni and professional volunteers who sign up to become "advisors" in Firsthand. That's what we named them but you can customize using your own info and school branding. We have looked at other platforms but we realized we are happy with Firsthand and think it is great for the price. Also, unlike Graduaway and Peoplegrove, you can run reports to see who connected with who, what they thought about it and share their feedback to the alumnus and/or to the student. It's great to be able to quickly and easily email from the platform and load our own webinars we offer with the existing national webinars offered in the platform. We can post jobs and the connections made are recorded for quality assurance. I love the groups feature and we are using it to bring in more alumni and students by school, region and student group or program as well as building and enhancing our campus partner relationships as we offer this in place of a them having to create a separate, manual mentoring program for their community. On a monthly basis, I send a video-embedded email to our advisors who have helped someone in the platform (message from a student advisee). I also can look at the leaderboard on the admin side and know who the top users, advisors and advisees are in the platform. We also have a close working relationship with our customer success liaison at Firsthand. Their [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is very, very accessible too! Like Firsthand the best!

Cons

I have to say that, after comparing the other, similar platforms, Firsthand offers the same if not more due to their reporting capabilities. I really don't have any cons. If we have suggestions Firsthand always tries to make accommodations and they are constantly making improvements.

Jillian P.
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Good option for mentor programs but better search required

Reviewed on 2020/08/19

We are trying to link university students and alumni with mentors. Many people have positive experiences with it. Overall, the experience has been positive, with exception of the search functionality that I find frustrating.
There have been a few times when my customer service request went unanswered.
Overall it is easy to use.

Pros

I like the user interface with LinkedIn functionality to include in profile. I like the videos as well.
The new function of being able to email direct has been great- previously it was an inconvenience with having to login first to send a message.

Cons

It is difficult to navigate the search. Because terms are not customized, there is a big variation of search outputs. Can discourage users from using the tool as they mistakenly think there is no one that fits their interest area.

Heather D.
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Great Benefits for Students, Difficult to Increase Usage

Reviewed on 2020/08/18

In theory, I love the potential benefits of the platform. But without a dedicated marketing staff member, it quickly became static and not an immediately used/intuitive system for students to pursue with their own initiative. For example, we use CandidCareer, and that seems to be easier for students to find and use on their own.

Pros

Webinar library (especially now that users can search by keywords)

Cons

When we were using the Advisor platform, it was difficult to use the platform and when they did, many requested meetings were never completed, which made it seem static and an unreliable place to ensure mentorship was taking place. There was also missing functionality, such as a count (total number) of advisors after entering search criteria.

Raymond X.

Global Coaching Platform

Reviewed on 2020/08/14

Pros

We have been using Firsthand for more than 3 years. It allows our students to talk with coaches all over the world for industry knowledge, mock interview and beyond.

Cons

We hope the popular coach can open more coaching slots.

Clay D.

Students love Firsthand

Reviewed on 2020/08/22

Students need to conduct a career conversation with an alumni of our university. Students can select the mentors based on their major, industry or job title. The software does a great job matching mentors with students based on student interests. Many students say this project is among the best they have ever completed while college. Being able to speak with someone in a position that they want to be in is invaluable to their growth. The advice provided is highly valued by students.

Pros

The software id easy to use and being able to link it to LinkedIn makes signing up very easy.

Cons

The only Con is on our end. We need more alumni mentors in our system.

Joep E.
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

Great career services tool for students and alumni

Reviewed on 2020/01/06

Super tool, good feedback from users, who are extremely satisfied about using the tool.

Pros

Easy to use, it's not complicated to use.
It's also great that it has the feeling of an RSM Erasmus University tool

Cons

It's kind of hard to motivate students to use the tool. When they use it they are very satisfied!

Users need to go through 'all' settings to ensure the best use, some of them like 'time zone' are beneficial but easy to forget

Vc P.
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Reviewed on 2020/08/13

Students like being able to contact alumni through the platform. About to roll out a campaign to get international alumni registered, along with alumni on the east coast. It's a service we need. It's just not easy to use, in my opinion.

Pros

Ability for students to contact alumni through the platform.

Cons

It is not intuitive to me. It takes a lot of instruction. Filtering groups not easy. Not alpha.

Joel R.

Go with Firsthand

Reviewed on 2020/08/21

Pros

Firsthand is vital before many universities were forced to go online. Now it is a tool that allows for so much creative use of the platform. It has so much to offer in mentoring, relationship-building, and career fairs.

Cons

It takes a little bit of time to get started and comfortable with the software. I don't think it's Firsthand's fault - it just takes students some time to get comfortable with the idea to meet a stranger.

Firsthand/Evisors

Reviewed on 2020/08/14

It has been very positive so far.

Pros

The User Experience for the match-making between advisors and advisees, easy way to connect and to pay/get paid.

Cons

The functionality of connecting through my mobile phone wasn't working properly.

Vanessa G.

Firsthand: An Excellent Tool for Online Career Education

Reviewed on 2020/08/18

Firsthand allows me to extend the Career Services we offer our graduate management students. We have a small team and over 600 students, so having a team of high level professionals from all over the world that our students can reach out to, for free (for them), is invaluable. Like anything else there have been ups and downs with the career advisors sometimes not being available. But they are professionals with real jobs, so this is not surprising. Firsthand is also expanding its offerings and has built a platform enabling Career Centers to set up virtual career fairs and recruiting. It's amazing.

Pros

Firsthand is an excellent tool for online career education. My favorite feature is the online Career Library where professionals discuss their careers in a wide range of areas. I use this Library extensively in the career courses that I teach to support the career exploration process. My students love the Career Advisor platform where they can connect with over 2,500 mentors from all over the world and get live help with learning about different careers, mock interviews, resume reviews, etc. Implementation was easy and fast.

Cons

The only thing I would like to see would be even more videos in the Career Library, addressing some of the newer types of roles, like business analytics, social media influencer, etc. Some of the material is a bit dated. But Firsthand is investing in other areas that are more focused on live interaction with alumni, recruiters, etc., which is a good thing.

Irina Z.

FIrstHand for Mentoring

Reviewed on 2020/08/18

Pros

We use FirstHand to administer all of our mentorship programs between students and alumni and it works perfectly. Super easy to set up access and to track engagement.

Cons

the videos on the plarform are a bit dated

Sunaina G.

Dashboard

Reviewed on 2020/09/02

We are pushing this resource more and more to facilitate networking and mentorship opportunities for students to connect with advisors for informational conversations. Also we have discontinued another product since this platform's resources provides our students with career webinar videos.

Pros

Dashboard is user friendly, intuitive and robust enabling ease of communication to students.

Cons

We haven't hit any roadblocks or limitations yet with respect to the software.

Great mentoring platform

Reviewed on 2020/08/19

Pros

The access to professional for mentoring, advice and mock interviews. The resources available.

Cons

Nothing specific. The platform is well designed.