MariaDB

4,7 (59)
Real business relies on MariaDB.

Cindy C.

MariaDB Review

Reviewed on 2019/11/05

My overall experience with MariaDB has been very favorable. I like the clustering features a lot, and it's built in already, which is awesome since it saves me time. I like that I can export my entire database in to MariaDB, be it a little hard to figure out at first but once you get the hang of it you will do better with it the next time round.

Pros

What I like most about MariaDB is that if you know how to use MySQL then you will definitely know how to use MariaDB! With some added functionality and features it is much faster and it is pretty stable to use. The database is free to use, but lightweight in comparison to my sequel so it's perfect for starter to medium sized projects.

Cons

What I like least about MariaDB is that you will definitely need some guidance at first if you are not already familiar with this kind of software, especially when it comes to things like creating a new cluster. If you do run into a snag though the MariaDB community is very helpful and usually answer quick if you need a few pointers. There are also tons of forums and help guides you can refer to if need be.

Reasons for Choosing MariaDB

I made the switch from MySQL because I had heard good feedback about using the branched off Maria Data Base such as improved speed for instance, and personally I found it to be true, MariaDB is a lot faster MySQL.

Reasons for Switching to MariaDB

Speed. Upgraded features. Fewer crashes.
Eljakim S.

MariaDB as a drop in replacement for MySQL just works

Reviewed on 2019/10/22

We use it to store all of our data.

Pros

It is so much faster than MySQL, especially when we alter the table structure of large tables it just works so much faster. The built in clustering features work quite well as well.

Cons

Starting a cluster is annoying. It's not overly hard, but you have to remember the statements. It would be a lot better if the startup script would say 'cannot attach to cluster, start a new one?' or something similar.
Despite the speed, we have had a couple of crashes where we could not startup the server. This has never happened to our MySQL servers, so that was a surprise. It may have been a specific 10.2 version on Ubuntu, because on our 18.04LTS servers this has not happened again.
Performance of the cluster when using INSERT IGNORE statements with 100,000s of records that are all duplicates is a lot slower than on MySQL.

Microsoft SQL Server

Reasons for Choosing MariaDB

MariaDB came out faster from our tests

Reasons for Switching to MariaDB

We needed a relational database for this product. Postgress and SQL Server have their own group of people that love it. But it would take too much in refactoring to switch to something completely different.
  • Industry: Computer Games
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

MariaDB Review

Reviewed on 2022/06/09

It was easy to use for me because I have experience with other DBMS like MySQL. Its free and its very fast. I would always Recommend it to others.

Pros

It's quick to load and operate, and it's fairly stable. I appreciate that I can export my complete database to MariaDB; it's a little tricky at first, but after you get the hang of it, you'll be able to do a better job the next time you use it.
The database is free to use, but it's a much lighter than my sequel, so it's ideal for small to medium applications.

Cons

Honestly there isn't anything I hate about MariaDB, I wish more developers tried and used it.

Justin S.

Great product, but MySQL is still the standard

Reviewed on 2021/04/06

MariaDB is easy to set up and use, but I worry that its community support isn't where it needs to be in order to be a top contender against MySQL.

Pros

MariaDB has picked up the community-oriented development mindset where MySQL left off since being acquired by Oracle. I've had virtually no problems with stability, and MariaDB seems to be actively developed.

Cons

Unfortunately, the majority of the community still seems to use MySQL, and that will become a problem as MySQL and MariaDB continue to diverge. How many developers will want to support both platforms? It's difficult to say.

• Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Good alternative to MySQL

Reviewed on 2022/04/15

Overall, MariaDB is a good RDBMS alternative to MySQL. It's a drop-in replacement for MySQL with the open-source guarantees which is important for some of our use cases.

Pros

I like how it's compatible with MySQL. It makes it easy to use for our team which is experienced already with MySQL.

Cons

I don't have anything I don't like about MariaDB.

Ali L.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

MariaDB is more reliable compared to MySQL.

Reviewed on 2022/02/15

MariaDB is a reliable database management system, open source and backed up by a huge community of users and developers.

Pros

After Oracle which is a company for developing Databases, acquired MySQL which was the most popular database in the world. the Team behind developing Mysql forked the source code under the name MariaDB.
to insure Oracle is not going to kill MySQL in favor of it's proprietary database software. which makes MariaDB a very reliable open source community supported project.

Cons

Mariadb seems to work exactly like Mysql with very minor differnces.

Torikul I.

MariaDB is an outstanding database that is so easy to use

Reviewed on 2021/09/23

I've used MariaDB for my project purpose, developed a web application for my client. MariaDB database was really helpful for me and I was able to do that project successfully.

Pros

I was a newbie when I start using MariaDB but the database was pretty easy to handle and use. This database can do competition with MySQL because both databases have good quality and usability. I know some developers and clients like MariaDB more than MySQL because MariaDB has an extra smoothness that makes the work more perfect. Its features, functionality, table management, edit are really good and comfortable to use, even it works fast and quickly when a command has been made.

Cons

I can remember just one negative side with MariaDB that is migration related. It wasn't a good experience when I tried to migrate data for the first time. It was complicated and I still feel that it's complicated!

• Industry: Computer Hardware

Review for MariaDB

Reviewed on 2022/02/03

I always use MariaDB for mine as well as mine client's project.

Pros

It is very much faster than MySQL, It can aslo be used to build web application for the clients. It has alot of features amazing functionalities and table and table management. Its 100% compatible and much important it is easy to use.

Cons

The price is bit expensive but free version also alot of work can be done.

MongoDB

Reasons for Switching to MariaDB

Its fast and time consuming
Armando I.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

DB That makes difficult things easy.

Reviewed on 2022/01/18

With MariaDB I was able to get transactions above 52,000/sec between selects and filters. Real-time statistics with 3rd party tools allow you to see the correct operation. My implementations are at medium scales. They worked very well without much parameterization and tuning.

Pros

What I appreciate the most about MariaDB is the interoperability it provides with the different DB administration tools, the compatibility, simplicity and robustness when handling large transactions places confidence in the product. I have been using it for 7 years with File Repositories DB.

Cons

When performing dumps and/or migrations, it is usually a little problematic. It is necessary to use the correct parameters to obtain a comprehensive and secure backup for new installations. Experience in this context is required.

Giuseppe N.

Best opensource RDBMS solution

Reviewed on 2022/06/02

Pros

For years now, many hosts have offered MariaDB as RDBMS. DB management and performance are excellent, 90% of the work is done by the correct design of the data structure.

Cons

No problem or defect regarding the use I make of it.

Rob B.

MariaDB a good RDBMS

Reviewed on 2019/12/14

We want to be able to migrate data in our training from a H2 (flat file) database to an RDBMS enviroment that can be shared among multiple servers. Furthermore we want a simple command line where we can use easy commands to create and manipulate data. MariaDB offers all that.

Pros

MariaDB is our personal choice for the RDBMS in our training environment. it is simple to setup on linux as well as windows and is leightweigth yet performant. it starts quickly and does not take up too much space on disk.

I use mainly the terminal interface doing simple commands from the mysql command line. I like the fact that it is compatible with mysql (of which it is of course a fork). When i want to have a graphical overview of the databases and tables i use a separate tool called DBeaver to show the ERD and look at the tables.
Most of the time we work with a limited number of database records, but also have a complete dataset of all registered vehicles nationally (16+ million records) which is also performing. All within of course our training environment.

Cons

There is nothing I really dislike about it. It performs well, we can use it without incurring cost and it performs and is stable.

Best and easy-to-use database software.

Reviewed on 2019/07/30

MariaDB is great for business. It has better performance than other database software. Easy to install and host, with varies of configurations.

Pros

It has very similar queue style and command styling to MySQL. But with additional functions. It is easy to adapt to and I can export or import any database in MariaDB software. It also has a lot of storage type which we definitely need it.

Cons

Migration sometimes can be hard especially when you are upgrading the software. But most of the time we can solve it on our own or with the help of the community of MariaDB.

MongoDB and MySQL

Reasons for Choosing MariaDB

MySQL is good, but I think MariaDB can handle our software better since it requires large queues very often.

Reasons for Switching to MariaDB

MariaDB can handle a large amount of queue with the best performance of all.
David F.

MariaDB: Open open source database goodness

Reviewed on 2021/07/22

Pros

MariaDB is 100% compatible with MySQL queries and everything else. A 100% drop in replacement that is guaranteed to stay open source forever. You have a vast ecosystem of support and updates and tools. It just works, and I think that is the best thing you can really say about a piece of software. Install it, configure it, run the updates and it just keeps chugging along without an issue.

Cons

And now the 1 gripe. Price. The free edition is more then enough for 99.95% of our clients and what they do.
When we needed a little bit more, the price was out of control. What we needed could be duplicated in other ways, but to get it "built in" was not worth it.

Wassim I.
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

MariaDB: the true open-source variant of MySQL

Reviewed on 2022/06/27

Very good experience so far. Have been using it since it was integrated with the XAMP bitnami platform and faithfully I can't find any major difference interacting with it and that with MySQL. Very good job by Bitnami to simplify the life of database developers and designers.

Pros

MariaDB is open source and provides all the features of the MySQL database. It is now integrated in the XAMP stack by bitnami together with Apache and other tools to make the deployment of a complete 3-tier stack very simple for developers and designers. It was very intricate installing each tool separately and configuring the connectivity among them.

Cons

The PHPmyadmin GUI is sometime laggy especially when executing Insert and update SQL statement. This is most probably not the database responsibility since I analyzed the performance and realized that the inserts and updates are effectuated in the database but not reflected in the GUI.

Aníbal M.

Great experience a fast database and without many novelties

Reviewed on 2018/07/07

Currently I am carrying out a project independently for one of my clients and we have chosen MariaDB as a database, which gives me the advantage of being able to offer a simple and stable service without recharging the price of the licenses, although the time in what I have tried is little. I hope that this software is maintained over time and continues to grow. With MariaDB I have grown personally and professionally

Pros

MariaDB is something new in the market and at the beginning I was not sure about making the migration, but it has been very easy to use and has shown a lot of stability and speed, I really like it to be OpenSource with the software under the GPL license. This reduces many costs which gives a point in favor when choosing it, I like that it has a large community where there are always people willing to help in any problem, its configuration in the servers is quite simple and with very few resources can have the service operational, I like that the hosting providers have added it at no additional cost, which makes me consider it a lot when I'm going to implement a content manager or an electronic commerce system. New tables are an advantage in INFORMATION_SCHEMA

Cons

Although the community has tried to guarantee 100% compatibility with MySQL the reality is that it is not quite true when migrating to MariaDB it is necessary to change some data types that are not available. I did not like that it is necessary to uninstall MySQL on my development servers in order to install MariaDB. This software is fine for small and medium projects but it is limited when you need a robust database and with many long and frequent queries so for large projects it is not a good option.

Debjit B.

My second best RDBMS software and best opensource software.

Reviewed on 2018/09/15

I love the idea of open-source so as opensource this is my best DB software. I love the idea of it and similarity with mysql as it is a fork of it. If you already used any SQL software/server before then you can find this pice of software your next best thing. This fast and light feature of it is the dealbreaker. VPS with 512MB ram can run mariaDB with 1000's of users which I cant think with Mysql or any other software. Love to see this awesome pice of software success. For support you always have it sorted by someone before and you just need to search.

Pros

This is an opensource solutions which is a fork of MySql. I love how light it is compared to other softwares. It is reliable, light, much faster alternative. If you know mySQL then it is just the free version of it.

Cons

I ran into some configuration problem when trying to configure it on my VPS server. It doesn't have lots of tutorials like other, but you can always find a way around of it. You cannot get personalize support for this software like others, because it is a comunity based DB software. Less update and bug fixing sometime make word really hard.

MariaDB is fast and stable

Reviewed on 2018/09/17

It's fast, it's actually free to use even in a cluster, and it works. Hasn't let us down yet!

Pros

It truly is a drop-in replacement for MySQL. Especially when you alter the table structure of an existing table with millions of rows the lock time goes down from 10s of minutes to 10s of seconds. Setting up a Galera cluster is not trivial, especially starting it the first time, but when it's up and running, it works really well.

Cons

Starting up a Galera cluster is annoying. The first node needs a manual start. They need to come up with a better way for non-database-people to easily start it up. Also we get many small Galera log files that sometimes just fill up the inodes on the server; why they don't just keep adding to the same log file is a mystery to us.

Héctor A.

Better than MySQL

Reviewed on 2020/05/18

Is a complete, with a great community database with a feature set that grows version after version easy to work with most programming languages and truly open source.

Pros

It is based on MySQL, and has great compatibility with tools based on it, it is OpenSource like MySQL, but the difference is that MariaDB is governed by the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] of MySQL and not Oracle, Oracle is a Closed Source Database company, If someday they decide to remove the plug on MySQL or making it weaker to sell their products there would be no option to MySQL users, but MariaDB exists now.

Cons

It's missing some statistic tools that PostGreSQL already comes with, they can be added but it might be kind of cumbersome, Tools are not as polished as MySQL Workbench, DBeaver is the best one that I tried but have some issues from time to time.

Robert O.

Home Server

Reviewed on 2019/02/26

overall the product does what it's supposed and doesn't complicate things too much. Using this software with docker has made my entire development environment as near to Plug-n-Play / Set-and-Forget as I can imagine it.

Pros

Stable and quick. I have multiple dev environments that I run for testing and general project development. MariaDB has more up to date releases on arm-type devices and has a much more supported docker container than other databases.

Cons

The only improvement really needs to be general support. SQL syntax is pretty universal but there are some minor quirks that I had to end up fixing with StackOverflow answers after having no luck with the forum.

Miguel alejandro A.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Very good database engine, so far a drop in replacement for other engine

Reviewed on 2019/06/17

This is a very simple to use database engine, and the default engine for many Linux distros.
It's a fork of Mysql and so far it's fully compatible, the changes at this point are in the back end, it uses different engines, which gives more options for different types of loads.

Pros

Is a medium to lightweight database engine, in resource consumption, fast as long as you set it up correctly.
Database backups are simple, but no easy to automate.
Uses a very standard SQL language.
It's very easy to find libraries for this database in any operative system.

Cons

It does not include a default manager
It's all console by default

Martin E.

Powerful, flexible and reliable database platform.

Reviewed on 2018/09/05

I use MariaDB for a wide range of services, and it has become my 'go-to' database platform. It operates well out of the box, and with some configuration has proven to scale well (through load balanced servers). It integrates well in Linux environments, and I rely on it every day to handle millions of requests.

Pros

I have used MariaDB in small environments, and production environments handling millions of transactions. It has proven very reliable, robust, and I have come to rely on it.

Cons

Sometimes the configuration can be quite terse, but it is very well documented, and there is always somebody out there who can help!

Everyday RDBMS

Reviewed on 2020/08/31

Being open source you can easily self-host it and you never have to worry about who is looking in your data.

Pros

It's a great drop-in replacement for MySQL. I have been using in my dev, test and prod sites and never really had any issues other than obvious identified bugs.

Cons

Sometimes it's slow on merging upstream from MySQL which becomes pain because you can't use the same feature which already exists in MySQL.

• Industry: Telecommunications
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Fast and Easy

Reviewed on 2018/10/23

We are using it all over the place, when requirements do not push us into one of the big commercial products.

Pros

This is the relational database systems of choice if you need or want to switch MySQL. There is no client reconfigurationnecessary. It is developed by the open source community and it is broadly supported in all environments.

Cons

The shrinking of the idx log files is a bit tedious and needs downtime.

Jishnu V.

RDBMS at its best.

Reviewed on 2020/11/16

Pros

1. High Performance and availability
2. Has an active open-source developer community.
3. Robust Transactional Support.
4. Availability of many Storage Engines.

Cons

1. MariaDB is no longer completely compatible with MySQL. Which makes migration a tedious process.
2. Needs improvement in caching.
3. It doesn’t support full outer joins.

The Preferred Database Solution

Reviewed on 2019/12/18

MariaDB is easily our preferred data storage solution, and we use it across most of our applications.

Pros

MariaDB is an excellent, free and open source solution for data storage, with a strong tradition of quality and a high level of support.

Cons

The renumbering of versions (skipping from 5.5 to 10.0) has left some confusing documentation and version tracking problems.