MySQL

4,6 (2 049)
One database service for transactions, analytics, and ML

(2 049)

2049 Reviews

Adam
Adam
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Powerful FOSS RDBMS

Reviewed on 2021/03/11

My experience with MySQL has been positive. I haven't found an application that it wasn't suited for yet. It has allowed us to move the majority of our systems off of Windows servers onsite to the cloud. Additionally it's compatible with ArouraDB which allows us to safe money with non production sites.

Pros

I've used both Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle and what I liked most about MySQL, aside from my personal preference for it's syntax, is that it runs well on all platforms and is easy to setup and maintain. MSSQL limits you to Windows servers and while Oracle will run on various platforms it is difficult to setup and maintain.

Cons

What I like least about MySQL is that backing up and restoring databases is a pain. You basically have to dump the database to a text file that contains every SQL statement needed to recreate the database. I also feel like the MySQL dataconnector for .NET Core isn't well developed or supported. Also MSSQL and Oracle have more ease of use functions when programming.

Torikul
Torikul

MySQL is the world's most popular free open source database

Reviewed on 2021/09/23

It's simply perfect that was able to fulfil my needs. Basically, I use the MySQL database for web development purposes, It was so helpful for me so far. My overall experience is really remarkable with the MySQL database.

Pros

MySQL is so easy to use and comfortable, even a lot suitable for the WordPress platforms. I like how this database has organized everything, backup process, data replacement, adding or deleting tables, find out the important data even query. If I want to do something, I can write some code as commands and all done. This database supports a query language too.

Cons

There are no cons I've noticed with the MySQL database. But I think it should be easier because newbies will get confused while using and learning MySQL. With little knowledge, you can't manage and control the MySQL database.

MySQL the default database server

Reviewed on 2019/08/08

We just use MySQL for all of our databases

We just use MySQL for all of our databases

Pros

It's the default standard for many companies. MySQL has grown into a very stable product that never crashes. We've made the move to MariaDB, but found that the tables sometimes get corrupted when restarting a database server under heavy load. With the recent speed improvements to MySQL, we have decided to actually migrate back to MySQL.

Cons

I'd really like if they would spend a bit more time on their CLI interface. As in, syntax highlighting in the CLI, an easier way to scroll through multiline queries when going through the history. I would also like it if we can specify a color scheme to use for the output.

Reasons for Choosing MySQL

MariaDB crashes too much.

MariaDB

Reasons for Switching to MySQL

both other servers come highly recommended by other parties, but for some reason they just don't have the feature that we're looking for.
Enrico
Enrico
  • Industry: Translation & Localization

Quick and easy database management solution

Reviewed on 2024/01/16

We set up a MySQL database to store and query data from our application, which writes daily to the DB. We never had any issue with it, which is just great.

Pros

MySQL consistently delivers exceptional performance, making it an ideal choice for a wide range of applications, from small-scale projects to large enterprise systems. Its optimized query execution, indexing mechanisms, and caching strategies contribute to efficient data retrieval and manipulation.

Cons

Fine-tuning settings for optimal performance can require in-depth knowledge, and improper configurations may impact system stability.

Edwin
Edwin

Best tool for Database Management

Reviewed on 2022/02/16

It is one of the best tool if you want to learn database management since it is free, simple to learn and it's performance it's really good.

Pros

First it is easy for one to learn how to use this software. It is also an open source that is one can get it online for free. Another thing I like about this software is that it works well with different programming languages as well operating systems that are Windows, Linux and MacOS. Lastly it is fast and installation is simple.

Cons

It's slow when running large databases. Using it can also be hard for people who have no experience. Lastly is the user interface that is workbench, it is not interactive thus it needs some changes to improve it's performance.

SQLite

Reasons for Switching to MySQL

It is highly customizable in that users can set it up to meet their needs. In addition it is open source in that any person can get it for free.
Ramon
Ramon
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

FLEXIBLE DATABASE

Reviewed on 2019/08/02

We have a financial application and the database used is mysql, we have many simultaneous requests

Pros

Main database, with numerous configuration possibilities, from login type, to different backups and exportation;

Cons

Simple tasks such as INSERT, SELECT, UPDATE, and DELETE are easy to understand, but replication and other tasks require a little more dedication.

MongoDB and PostgreSQL

Reasons for Switching to MySQL

Unindexed databases like mongo are sometimes not as effective, it is necessary to analyze the task. In the situation in which it was compared, you could not use it. It was chosen from postgres, because of the familiarity of the programmers.
Abdul Wahab
Abdul Wahab

MySQL-AWKT

Reviewed on 2020/12/28

I am saving disk space. I am experiencing fast database server. I am experiencing the compatibility with multiple operating systems.

Pros

I like most the speed of MySQL and capability to support multiple kind of operating systems on various machines

Cons

I don't find anything to dislike in MySQL till yet in my throughout experience.

Raj
Raj

Database Management using MySQL

Reviewed on 2022/10/25

Pros

Database queries are easy to understand and write in MySQL. It is widely used as a database management software and thus, has very good community support.

Cons

The time required for query processing is more if the dataset is very large. Sometimes the error messages prompted by MySQL are difficult to understand.

Fernando Manoel
Fernando Manoel

MySQL is an excellent DBMS

Reviewed on 2022/03/26

my experience with MySQL is very satisfactory

my experience with MySQL is very satisfactory

Pros

In addition to being free, it has excellent community support. It is a very robust and fast-response DBMS.

Cons

There are functionality that can be simplified and merged for higher performance with fewer persistence runs

Aiven for PostgreSQL

Reasons for Switching to MySQL

For the strength and support of the community
Jesús Gonzalo
Jesús Gonzalo

Excellent Database program

Reviewed on 2020/09/14

Basically MySQL help to us on complete MVPs or even create a production software in the main time, there is no concerns, if you are trying to find a complete database administrator for less money, you should choose this one

Pros

We've been using MySQL for a while since the MS-SQL Database administrator is too expensive, in MySQL you can choose the free tier version and it will be great for your app, the syntax is pretty straight forward.

Cons

There is no cons in MySQL, well, maybe just the database size that you can use in the free tier and also you can make a programmatically database because some features are not full

Reasons for Switching to MySQL

Because provides more features than the other ones and for less cost.
Austin

MySQL, a Great Free Database Option

Reviewed on 2019/07/18

I created a custom database from scratch that tracks inventory assets for the company of which I am currently employed. I also created a couple others that track IT tasks and admin activities.

Pros

Easy to use, syntax is easy to remember, database structure can be built quickly and there is a plethora of tools available to help

Cons

Syntax took some learning, syntax errors sometimes unclear as to what the error actually is. Not a problem if using Workbench

Reasons for Choosing MySQL

Easier to use and set up. Free and allows for more growth than SQL Server w/o having to pay to upgrade.

Reasons for Switching to MySQL

MySQL was free, less resource heavy, and the syntax was slightly easier. Tools were also more user friendly.
Mitul
  • Company size: 1 001–5 000 Employees

Robust and easy to implement

Reviewed on 2019/10/28

Robust, easy to use, fast and reliable. Easy to develop stored procedures and triggers

Pros

One of the best features of MySQL is that it's easy to configure and start using. I found less of connectivity issues as compared to sql sever or Oracle. Also its platform independent

Cons

Terms used for components and features like schema and database is different than what is used in other dbms. If someone is new and migrating from SQL server or Oracle to this software, they will find the nomenclature a little confusing

Oracle Database

Reasons for Choosing MySQL

My application requirement was easily achievable through CMS which was based on WAMP server.

Reasons for Switching to MySQL

As mentioned above, my web application was easy to implement using CMS which used WAMP server that had mysql
Dima

MySQL is the best relational database language out there!

Reviewed on 2021/09/10

In my few years of experience with MySQL I hightly recommend it! It is a very powervul and versatile tool to manage your data on the server.

Pros

Wow where to start! The two main highlights are the ability to create highly customizable indexed data tables and the ability to query them in incredibly flexible ways!

When one creates a table in MySQL, one has an option to create a primary key which is unique for every record in that table. That can then be used to easily search and reference the data in that table. One can also mark other data columns as indexed and make them unique, for instance the email column. That will prevent duplicate records. And one can reference other tables' primary keys from one table - this is called a foreign key - allowing for one-to-one, one-to-many and many-to-many relationships.

In terms of queries, one of the most powerful tools is the JOIN command. This allows one to append multiple tables to one another, using the foreign key feature. The combinations and the flexibility that this allows is out of this world as you can extract data from any number of tables into a custom table-like result with surgical precision.

If you consider using MySQL, do yourself a favour and study JOIN and how to use it with foreign keys.

Cons

I think the biggest downside to MySQL is that there is quite a learning curve. You need to be good with structuring and organising data in theory/planning first before you approach this database language. It is only a tool, it will not do the design and architecture for you. Once you know what you want, you need to work through some tutorials and code examples to understand how to use MySQL. There are good database managers that use MySQL, suchas DBeaver or HeidiSQL, that will greatly assit you in the process - but you still have to understand how to write custom queries, so take some time to learn the language. If you don't have the time, consider maybe MS Excel or MS Access - less flexibility, but also a smaller learning curve.

Reasons for Choosing MySQL

MS Access is a very expensive software and MySQL is free of charge via installation packages, such as WAMP or XAMPP.

Microsoft Access

Reasons for Switching to MySQL

MySQL is relational while MongoDB is non-relational. When working with larger and more complex data, the concept of indexing and foreign keys becomes indispensable and this is something that non-relational MongoDB does not offer.
Michael

From small php pages to big data

Reviewed on 2021/02/16

We are using mysql in many installations. From very small php sites to big data stuff - it's always the same database engine!

Pros

It's so easy to setup. Just install via package manager and you are up and running. If you need more features, just customize the setup files. Replication, Backup, all is working out of the box.

Cons

Creating a database and adding a new user must be done in sql. For this step an installer/menu would be great since I've to do this very often.

Reasons for Choosing MySQL

Setup is so much easier than oracle.

Oracle Database

Reasons for Switching to MySQL

Mysql is the default database of so many php frameworks.
Viktoria

Simple and well tested

Reviewed on 2021/02/16

MySQL has been around for a long time and I have been using it as my go-to database for as long as I'm working with websites. With its incredible stability, all of my websites databases are in safe hands. With recent updates it actually became even faster and more stable. I can only recommend it as the best and fastest database for small and medium size projects.

Pros

The thing I like most about MySQL is that it is free, open source, and fast. It is extremely stable, and I don't remember the time it crashed for whatever reason. Another additional benefit is that it supports multiple operating systems.

Cons

Really large databases become slow and need a lot of maintenance. Error messages are often vague and unhelpful so finding what went wrong requires a lot of work.

Monish
Monish

Will Developed Relational Database System which supports Transactions

Reviewed on 2020/04/26

Had a great experience with Mysql, since it has been the core of transaction systems

Pros

Mysql is Transactional, you can commit or revert a set of actions in a transaction,
it has well implemented all the Transactional feature such as primary key, foreign keys, indexing etc ...
so we mainly use mysql for data collection from realtime interactions with the end user,
Its Hibernate support gives a edge on realtime interactions,

Mysql provides many type of JDBC/ODBC jars, using which it can be integrated to any type of tools and languages,

Mysql has a desktop application called Mysql Workbench for performing all the operations on mysql, it comes in handy if you don't remember some of the commands (like migrations , dumping, updating row etc ..), also it provides schema visualisations,
tables and its columns are listed which can be dragged into the editor, which makes the mysql to be easily used and reduces the developers time involved in operational work and improves development efficiency,

There are lot of other friendly tools such as WAMP/XAMP etc, which can be used for learning purposes,
and Mysql has a huge community support

Cons

Mysql dose not support data transfer between DB and Distributed file system such as AWS S3, which most of the other databases dose,

We had to use different PSQL database for large non relational data storage, since it is not the intended purpose of Mysql, so we have to maintain two database systems, it wold be better if mysql can give non transactional support as well for large data storage and analytical use case , so that it can be one stop DBS solution for all data actions.

Carlos
  • Industry: Automotive

MySQL: free relational database manager

Reviewed on 2020/08/14

MySQL is a free relational database manager. I use it daily to manage data for several web applications (most commonly, by pairing it with PHP). It's fast and versatile enough to meet all my needs in different scenarios and for different types of data (e.g. client databases and many others).

Pros

In my opinion, MySQL has the following main advantages:

1. It's versatile and adapts to different use cases. Although MySQL is most commonly used to manage data for web applications (in what's called LAMP: Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), it's really a jack-of-all-trades that one can use in different scenarios.

2. It's rock-solid. MySQL and its featured stability have both passed the test of time; the software was created 25 years ago and it's already in its 8th version.

3. It makes use of current technologies. Although it's "old", MySQL uses current database technologies, like multi-byte characters and different data-handling engines.

4. It's popular. MySQL is in the default repositories of most Linux-based operating systems, and there's plenty of documentation about it.

5. It's free. MySQL offers a fully-functional, free "community" version.

Cons

The way I see it, MySQL has two disadvantages:

1. Depending on the amount of data it handles and on how many clients connect to it, MySQL can use a lot of resources, effectively becoming a server hog and therefore requiring a powerful computer/server.

2. MySQL isn't exactly the easiest software to install and manage; it requires quite some technical knowledge.

Reasons for Switching to MySQL

Familiarity with the software.
Vincent
  • Industry: Government Administration

Fast and reliable relational DBMS

Reviewed on 2022/10/18

Overall postiive experience - it just works once configured correctly. Even easier to use AWS RDS / Aurora for managed Mysql Instances.

Pros

Flexibility and 1st level support from most application servers via JDBC ODBC connectorsMost cloud providers offer Mysql as SaSS or additions to PaSS offerings - so in terms of reducing costs to run mysql instances, these can be placed under op expenditure.

Cons

Standalone product support can get expensive (from Oracle).Database restore for master/slave replication can get complex with bin log files manual adjustments being required to fully sync replication.

Oracle PeopleSoft and PostgreSQL

Application support requirements

Reasons for Switching to MySQL

ease and 1st level support by application.
Joseph
Joseph

Agrxis Review on MySQL

Reviewed on 2023/05/17

My experience with MySQL has led me to believe that it is a superb database management system that has significantly improved my ability to store and retrieve data. My preferred option for managing massive datasets and sophisticated queries is MySQL because of how simple it is to install and configure, as well as its solid features and great performance. The broad range of services and the strong sense of community support have been crucial in helping me overcome any obstacles I faced. Due to MySQL's adaptability, I am able to effectively manage a wide range of applications, from little side projects to sophisticated business solutions. Because of its dependability, scalability, and extensive security features, I can rest easy knowing that my data is well-protected.

Pros

I am quite amazed by MySQL and the outstanding features it provides. MySQL has played a significant role in my professional development as a database management system by giving me a dependable and effective platform for storing, managing, and retrieving data. My favorite aspects of MySQL are its scalability and robustness. It is able to handle high data quantities with ease, ensuring optimal performance even in demanding settings. MySQL is an excellent option for both small-scale projects and enterprise-level applications due to its simplicity of use and flexibility. Its broad support for a variety of platforms and programming languages enables me to easily include it into my current software ecosystem.

Cons

Even while my overall experience with MySQL has been favorable, there have been a few things that I've found difficult or that could be done better. I thought the complexity of managing and establishing replication setups was one area that needed improvement. In some cases, setting up and maintaining replication in MySQL requires complex setups and a thorough understanding of the architecture.

Carlos Aogusto

Excellent database management system

Reviewed on 2018/04/16

I am a developer of systems under web environment, and in many opportunities I use the MySQL database manager, it is a fundamental tool in my team for a long time.

Pros

MySQL is open source software that allows anyone to use it and modify it. Anyone can download the MySQL source code and use it without paying. Anyone interested can study the source code and adjust it to their needs.

MySQl is a relational, multi-threaded and multi-user database system with more than six million installations and is widely used in web applications, such as Drupal or phpBB, on platforms (Linux / Windows-Apache-MySQL-PHP / Perl / Python)

Its popularity as a web application is mostly related to PHP, which usually appears in combination with MySQL.

This database manager is one of the best in terms of performance since the speed of opreciones is very good.

You can be executed in low-resource machines since the consumption of requirements for its execution is very low.

It supports several opertative systems and is very easy to install and configure.

There are a number of good quality software tools that provide management and development workspace functions. MySQL Workbench and TOAD for MySQL are good examples.

Being open source there is a large amount of help on the Internet and this should help to reduce, in a production environment, incident handling times. Also, a lot of information so that your development team can read.

Cons

A large percentage of MySQL utilities are not documented.

The support for triggers is basic so there are certain limitations in what can be done with them.

By handling referential integrity with non-transactional MyISAM tables.
It does not treat them differently from the rest of the fields.

Privileges for a table are not automatically deleted when a table is deleted.

A REVOKE command must be explicitly used to remove privileges from a table.

• Industry: Writing & Editing

Almost all my sites run on MySQL

Reviewed on 2019/04/30

I hardly think about MySQL because that is how it functions - quietly and in the background 24/7. But MySQL is an totally ESSENTIAL part of my online presence, as my websites would immediately cease functioning without MySQL. It is that important! While it does its job most of time, if there are errors in MySQL for whatever reason, then to repair the problem can become a bit expensive. Apart from this small risk, MySQL is one of those "must-have" software if you run any independently hosted websites online.

Pros

MySQL is the standard database software used by virtually all the PHP-based scripts for database creation and functioning. It is a standard add-on software for most webhosts as part of the cPanel plan. As long as you are not hacked, the database software works quietly in the background 24/7 and delivers your website to the world. As an "add-on" software it is free in that sense (or may be part of my monthly hosting fees), but this is a trivial point. MySQL is like a set-and-forget kind of software, and indispensable to nearly all webmasters.

Cons

The database is not very efficient, and this often leads to errors, if some script overloads it or if your website is hacked and compromised. If there is too much traffic, things also can break down.

As anything database related is hard to repair, it is best to get an expert on MySQL, who can be expensive, to fix any issues in the database. Many additional plugins create further tables or rows in MySQL which remain there for life even if the plugin is removed later on. This leads to bloat in the database.

Hasan
Hasan
  • Industry: Banking
  • Company size: 501–1 000 Employees

Best Open Source Database Tool

Reviewed on 2021/06/25

I have been using this tool for more than 3 years and it benefited me a lot. It helped me to manage multiple databases, optimization of queries and extraction of data. It is a perfect tool for every newbie.

Pros

MySQL is a powerful tool for handling large databases without the fear of any data loss. It enable users to integrate with different tools. There is a huge collection of free plug-ins. Despite it is an open source, it provides a high data security that helps to protect data in a well organized manner. Solutions are readily available on forums for any type of problems. The web interface has made the installation setup and configurations much more easier.

Cons

It does not support most of the useful features that modern database tools support like ROLE and COMMIT. It does not handle large databases efficiently and performance is bit low. I believe you do get what you pay for. Although, it is a great free of cost product.

Patrick
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Best Database Solutions

Reviewed on 2020/03/20

Every web based application needs a good database to handle the management of its users, eCommerce solutions and website structure to keep everything running and out out all the data management solutions out there MySQL is the best! Installation and and implementation is as simple as a few clicks and the MySQL Interface allows for easy customization and control. The website you are reading this from uses MySQL to store all these information and keep tract of submissions and statistical information. Never had any issues and i use it in my everyday life daily.

Pros

I been using MySQL Since it's invention. I use MySQL to create user databases for user profiles, Order tracking and website user data management and it has done perfect on the website software i use such as WordPress. vBulletin and a range of other website based applications. I also use MySQL for my video/audio chat application to start users chat profiles.

Cons

Sometimes hen your importing large MySQL databases from one host to another it can be challenging. Sometimes the process breaks during upload or importing and you have to start all over again or the import doesn't fully import everything and there is website issues so keep that in mind. I found a way around this alot of times by just using big dump. Other then that over the years it has been getting better and better as of the latest version i must say that it is running so far flawlessly.

Awais
Awais
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Mysql DB with ERPs and PHPs programs

Reviewed on 2020/06/09

Overall found perfect for large data, large industry data of erps, IOT devices and other complex features like sms/email applications.
Queries,data handeling,data backups,table analyse,database comoaction and optimization are awesome valued aded features.

Pros

Effective to handel large data recording and reporting with in good time,while data is being entred and acessed from many users.
Live from PC GuIwhereas also available phpmyadmin to acess on web and work with php accordingly, although it can be integrared with many languages programs like Java,Ajax,ASP but most of the time it being used with PHP.
Work with existing filed like calculation/triggers best thing which is used BI,AI.
Query reporting/response time from such large data is awesome.
Query for access data almost every feature is available to get curtain form of data. UI and use is very easier.

Cons

Not generic calculation formula like excel, such additional feature should be introduced. Value based trigger should be introuduced with support of scripts, i.e if value of column (field) reaches,equals to specific value this then run this scripts ir query and put specific value on this filed etc
, its currently un upavailable.
Advanced statiatics are not get reported by data, like hypothesis, regerssions. No built in tool in excel.

Nigel Masimba
Nigel Masimba

MySQL is the ubiquitous Database platform for the web

Reviewed on 2020/05/20

I use MySQL with a popular content management system, and it has never, in any way let me down. Our CMS has custom database query commands, so I hardly ever have create my own queries. Even when I do manually write queries I have access to years of documentation to help me along.

Pros

MySQL is a robust, well document, secure, and interoperable database system software.

Almost everyone, all the way down from the vast majority of cheap shared hosting providers up to enterprise cloud hosting providers has support for MySQL databases.

I don't need to know how to write queries to use it as there are a number of visual tools to write and execute queries.

It is scalable. A project can start small on a single server and grow huge to work in a distributed cloud ecosystem.

Cons

Learning MySQL is a steep learning curve however you don't have to learn it in most cases as there are frameworks, and visual tools that create MySQL queries for you.