QuarkXPress

Write a Review!
Powerful content design and desktop publishing software

3.7/5
4.1/5
4.0/5
3.6/5

Lonnie
Lonnie

Good program

Reviewed on 2018/07/12

It's a simple common-sense program that typically can be picked up by a new user quickly because it relates to many other commonly used software programs.

Pros

Quark XPress makes designing pages simple. It allows users to efficiently create the looks they want to achieve.

Cons

Some of the shortcuts are a little complicated but even those you get used to after using the program for a while.

• Industry: Design

I've used this product for years and love the ease of designing with it.

Reviewed on 2018/06/05

I can create my design projects just the way I want them to be because it offers many options and is easy to use.

Pros

The many options it offers for layout, working with type and images. I love the Collect for Output, get's everything in one place. Resizing pages when needed, the gradations, the HTML options are great. I have found Quark much easier to use than InDesign.

Cons

I'd have to say the cost, it's expensive for a stand-alone product. Because of the high price I am very slow to upgrade to newer version. Which makes for a bigger learning curve when I do upgrade.

Ale
  • Industry: Newspapers

We use it this product for years but we have to switch

Reviewed on 2019/02/25

Amazing we use it for years, but we have to change to more modern product can solve the current workflow of digital/print media

Pros

Quarkxpress was the standart for printing. we really love it, we use it for make books, and magazines. Is relative easy to use (not easy but kind that) and get results.

If you go for make prints books, is amazing... but if you work in print and digital media... well is gonna be a pain.

Cons

The big issue is QuarkXPress dont adapt to the "new standards", like make books for prints and digitals with all the formats (epub, kdp, and other) for all the markets.

So you have remake the book for digital, other products save that more time because offer a solution to that problem

Also the pricing is very expensive, they should try to find another model

In the last 5-10 years they lost the market because of that. I hope QuarkXPress get it because we love it

Great to Use for Marketing Materials!

Reviewed on 2019/07/29

Pros

I used this software regularly at my previous job, and really enjoyed it. I was able to create beautiful advertisements for print, fairly easily. I was able to teach myself how to use it also. When it comes to design software, this is user friendly.

Cons

It is kind of outdated. These days, people tend to look for Adobe software proficiency. It is a great stepping stone to Adobe.

Kathleen
Kathleen

Once avoided, now embraced

Reviewed on 2020/05/20

When I began using Quark roughly 15 years ago, I would so anything to try to avoid it. It was intimidating and frustrating and, at the time, only a mac program. I desperately tried to convert as many files as I could to Adobe InDesign because I was more comfortable on the pc platform. Now, I love Quark and would prefer to use it over anything else. Having a PC platform version really was the key in my eyes. With recent versions, Quark has become much less intimidating and more inviting to non-industry professionals.

Pros

Quark really is the best when it comes to page layout and typesetting design. The features and abilities far surpass other layout programs.

Cons

Although recent versions have been improving, Quark can be rather intimidating to learn and not the most user friendly.

Scott
  • Industry: Printing

QuarkXpress

Reviewed on 2021/03/30

Overall I would say over the past 20 years since using a number of different software. QuarkXPress has come a long way in its functionality. I will say they continued to make it easier to use for the software that it is but never up to the standards of adobe.

Pros

I am going, to be honest. We as a printing company need to use QuarkXpress only a few times when a customer is the one that uses the software. If we need to open their native file then we use it. I honestly cannot say there is anything I like most.

Cons

I would say I don't like the functionality of this software. It has never been as good as adobe and I'm not saying this because adobe is the top design software.

• Industry: Publishing

QuarkXPress is great!

Reviewed on 2019/03/06

Pros

It's intuitive and easy to use. Even a beginner should be able to easily design in this once you have been using it for an hour or two. Even better, you don't need a subscription for it! I have used Quark and Adobe InDesign and prefer Quark.

Cons

I don't have any complaints, I think it's a matter of what you were trained on: Quark vs InDesign.

• Industry: Newspapers

Very useful app for making newspapers and magazines

Reviewed on 2021/04/10

Overall a very great experience. But the ease of use should be looked after.

Overall a very great experience. But the ease of use should be looked after.

Pros

This is one of the best app to make newspapers and magazines and newsletters and many things. You can edit a newspaper here and create posters as well. Students who are studying journalism, this is a great app to start. Professionals also use this app for the same purpose.

Cons

Although this is a very good app but you will face difficulties while using this app. The ease of use is really complicated. Tools are also hard to use.

Julian
Julian

Does what it says on the Tin and more

Reviewed on 2017/11/08

Pros

Ease of use, simplistic when you get used to the software, Great features for extended use, Really like this software

Cons

Not too many Cons really, when it does what I want it to do. Maybe the price, but then for so many features - These things cost money

Amanda
Amanda
  • Industry: Design

Good, but I prefer alternatives.

Reviewed on 2019/10/03

Quark is a decent layout program, however I will say I prefer using InDesign.

Quark is a decent layout program, however I will say I prefer using InDesign.

Pros

The software overall was easy enough to learn. I feel like most things were pretty intuitive.

Cons

There were some limitations on the software. Certain features or tools that I would want to use that I couldn't. Or at least, I couldn't figure out how to if they were an option.

Sharon
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Makes my job easy

Reviewed on 2019/07/24

I started with Quark Xpress back in the the late 1980's with a box of floppies. Took two hours to install on a Mac Classic. I had no instructions, just the box and the computer. My boss had traded it from a design company that owned him money. So, I am self-taught. But, I have been a faithful user ever since. I have work at print shops, newspapers all over the country and all have used Quark. I actually got fired from a job designing magazines because I wouldn't change over to InDesign when they decided it was a better program. So, I went out on my own, and never looked back. Here we are Quark 2019, 30 years later, not quite so simple to use, but still the best typesetting software available.

Pros

I use Quark in design magazine daily. And it's so easy to set up templates for any job I am gettin ready to do. And I can import InDesign files, pdf, and most other files into my program.

Cons

Cost is getting a little out of hand. Seems like each year they are wanting me to pay so I can get an upgrade.

Steve
  • Industry: Online Media

A great way to build pages for newspaper production

Reviewed on 2018/07/30

It's the best program for page production, bar none.

It's the best program for page production, bar none.

Pros

Quark is a great way to put together newspaper pages. It's easy to design award-winning, sharp pages, and I have won multiple industry awards using Quark. There are so many useful functions that assist the page builder, and it's a fast program once all the nuances are learned.

Cons

Very few cons, maybe the most being that it tends to crash occasionally. But sometimes it crashes more on different computers, so it may not be a total problem with the program.

Dia Din
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Quark

Reviewed on 2020/02/24

I'm using Quark to easily output print jobs to our computer copier.

I'm using Quark to easily output print jobs to our computer copier.

Pros

I can output my jobs easily and effectively using the step and repeat and convert to pdf options. It's also fast.

Cons

I least like that it starts up slower than usual for older versions of the software. I also am not too cool with it not having the mail merge option

ANTONIOS
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

An amazing software that helped my team in publishing the college newspaper!

Reviewed on 2018/04/26

To build, create and prepare the college newspaper. It's the ideal software for publishing!

Pros

Massive offer of layouts, options and colour palettes to create and build a web or print magazine. I love the updated Java Script options, the typography menus for modifying and choose the right font and also the tools for publishing and saving a project for online purposes.

Cons

More Java Script layouts and themes should be available, apart from the standard ones. The modification is easy but still there is a need for an update with more modern themes.

Lynn

Quark XPress

Reviewed on 2019/06/17

I have used this software from the late 1980s - a long time. It continually improves. I would love to always work in it, but not every printer or client wants their project designed in Quark. Still, it is an amazing software for a graphic designer who loves perfect type on a page.

Pros

The detail you can create with type. You can control all aspects in a layout. I love this!!!

Cons

Not as many printer will accept a Quark Xpress document. Most require Adobe Indesign for print projects.

Tracy
  • Used for 2+ years

Used to be #1...now, not so much.

Reviewed on 2018/03/17

Pros

Quark is great for print design, text-heavy layouts, and what used to be referred to as desktop publishing.

Cons

They dropped the ball years by being slow to release a compatible version with Mac OSX, and have been struggling to get back in the race ever since. Meanwhile, Adobe InDesign became the industry leader, and there's no going back to Quark. It just doesn't have the smooth cross-application compatibility you get staying in the Adobe Suite.

Samantha
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
  • Used for 2+ years

Quark is just like Adobe InDesign with less bells and whistles, and is a little harder to use.

Reviewed on 2018/03/14

I was able to easily create text-only programs for events that my work was putting on. It was super easy for basic projects.

Pros

I used it in college, and it was a great beginner tool for learning how to do page layouts, and is relatively cost efficient.

Cons

It doesn't integrate well with other software, and it falls short on the graphical layout side. Only ended up using it for text only event programs.

Quark Publishing is a Standard

Reviewed on 2019/05/01

Overall, my experience with Quark was super and the program is a high quality desktop publishing program.

Pros

I have used Quark since the very early versions and have seen it evolve with the publishing needs and trends. Image placement was always the strong point in my opinion.

Cons

I would have to say the cost because a bit of a hurdle.

• Industry: Mining & Metals

There's a Reason it's the Industry Standard

Reviewed on 2018/09/12

My output doubled with QuarkXPress. Easy to navigate, allowed me to be more creative without having to worry about USING the tool. I just did, and let the creativity flow.

Pros

The flexibility to do what I need, quality pixel perfect output

Cons

Very small learning curve (I came from using InDesign)

JoAnne

Eclipsed by Adobe InDesign

Reviewed on 2018/04/27

Pros

I have to say the big bonus of Quark XPress is that it does not rely on a subscription model like Adobe InDesign.

Cons

Not every printer will support Quark XPress due to the ascendancy of Adobe's InDesign. Necessary to check in advance if your files can be used.

• Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Quirky Quark

Reviewed on 2019/05/13

Pros

Robust page layout platform, lots of features and very versatile.

Cons

EXPENSIVE and not friendly with any other software. Import from other formats can be virtually impossible.

Great program but kinda quirky

Reviewed on 2018/06/11

Pros

First, it does things for graphics other software does not for layering. I use this at home as a personal user. It is useful for some things , and can create nice imaging with good layout and details.

Cons

I like it but it has quirks and issues. I did have to call customer care once and it was a mixed bag at best.
However both export and compatibility are sometimes spotty with it.

Brian
  • Used for 1+ year

Good software, but doesn't have the flexibility that Illustrator offers

Reviewed on 2020/03/10

Pros

I learned this software years ago, and it was great foundational, but overall not as powerful as Illustrator

Cons

I prefer how well Illustrator works with other software.

TONYA

Easy to make a brochure

Reviewed on 2019/07/17

I have used this software for decades and even though InDesign has become the desired desktop for cross platform use, Quark is fast and easy to use.

Pros

It is very user friendly. It is great to make flyers, brochures, or any desktop publishing items.

Cons

It doesn't have good features for type manipulation, such as shadows.

Hayden
  • Industry: Media Production
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

It's been a while since I used it

Reviewed on 2022/03/31

It's been a while since I used Quark, I am currently using InDesign or Affinity Publisher, but I had a quite good time using it when the company that I worked with preferred Quark. Sorry for the short review.

Pros

It was fairly simple to migrate to this software when the company needed.

Cons

Probably not the industry standard anymore.

Response from Quark Software

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.