Showing 26 reviews of 15

WhiteSmoke

Proofreading software for detecting grammatical errors

Showing 26 reviews of 15
Jen S.

I Used to Love WhiteSmoke

Reviewed on 2021/01/11

Without notice, my lifetime (paid) subscription shut off on January 1, 2021. The notice yet again said my "free" version expired. I emailed customer service thinking they'd faced some kind of error that took it offline again and that they'd tell me when to expect it to come back up. Instead, I got a curt note back informing me that "lifetime" refers to the lifetime of the product and they felt like they'd delivered on it. They offered me a "discounted rate" to sign up for their desktop subscription that only works on one system. No thanks. I can't think of anything more worthless to me. I use several computers and logins based on what project I'm working on. Being able to only have it in one location is a step back into the dark ages. Moreover, after the way this company has treated me, I wouldn't give them another dime. I don't trust them and am moving to Grammarly or Hemmingway.

Pros

I started using WhiteSmoke when I was a newbie content writer. I loved it because it was easy to use and genuinely taught me how to be a better writer. I learned what errors I usually made and how to correct them, which made me feel very confident publishing work or submitting it to clients.

Cons

The service was terrible. I purchased a lifetime "anywhere" (online/ cloud) subscription and it would lock me out on an annual basis, telling me my "free" version expired. Customer service would take days to respond and it would take a week or more before it would come back. When they'd finally respond, which sometimes took several messages spread out over several weeks, they'd talk to me like I should be grateful they were even answering. Considering I wrote for a living and was producing four or five pieces per day, not having access to the proofing tool I paid for was crippling.

Clinton H.
  • Industry: Biotechnology
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Excellent, and maintains excellent reputation

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

I have been able to improve my reputation in the organization, especially in the days of reorganization, and this helps me maintain my stature, high reputation.

Pros

Context - I have a learning disability that impacts my english skills when it comes to writing. My employer hired a writing coach, and the sessions resulted in breaking bad habits. However, I have difficulties with the aspects of English grammar and rules.

Product - I have been using is for several years, where I am able to reduce the time to craft, and produce reports with confidence. By using it exclusively enabled me to reduce the number of errors, and able to rearrange my thoughts with clarity. Even though I have gain confidence in the written communication, I will always use WhiteSmoke since there has been a need to get the work done in a quicker manner.

Cons

Sometimes in mac IOS, the software crashes, but it is not a big problem.

Tim S.
  • Industry: Research
  • Used Other for 2+ years

I bought a lifetime plan, but WhiteSmoke keeps cancelling my subscription.

Reviewed on 2020/11/04

I have had a bad experience with WhiteSmoke. I invested more upfront thinking I would save in the long run, but with diminishing features and constantly being locked out of my account and told to "upgrade" again, it's just not worth the hassles.

Pros

At the start WhiteSmoke worked well on my Mac with MS Office, but now it doesn't work on a Mac at all.

Cons

I bought the Lifetime plan, but then after some updates and you find that they force you to "upgrade again" even after buying the Lifetime plan. So then your left with a web-based version only and again they cancel your account unless you write and complain, then they reinstate it for a short while and then cancel it again. There are no updates, it was only version 8 of the web-based software. I have bought other Lifetime grammar checkers which have not given me these problems.

Paul D.
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

A Quick Check

Reviewed on 2019/01/30

Customer relations and appearance.

Pros

My major use of WhiteSmoke is a quick check of emails. I do not regularily prepare lengthy documents, but I do like that I can highlight my writing and do a quick Fn F2 check. I strive for an 8 or better. :) I did a check of this writing.

Cons

Contacting a service tech when I have an issue. When I have a need, I look for an immediate resolution, and hate waiting hours, or days. As a service organization, we rely on prompt service.

Teresa K.

Great for PC but not as efficient for MAC

Reviewed on 2019/01/30

Pros

I like how it is integrated into Outlook. Emails are completed so fast that you sometimes forget to proof. WS reminds you as you hit send.

Cons

That I can not integrate it into my apps as a do on my PC.

John M.
  • Industry: Civil Engineering
  • Company size: 1 001-5 000 Employees

Power grammar and editing software

Reviewed on 2019/02/01

I would totally be a loss without WhiteSmoke. Even when I'm not using it strictly professional. I use it to make sure that my casual writing is up-to-par.

Pros

The functionality of the software, which allows you to check on your overall grammar:subject verb agreement, readability of our document and the quick response to your grammar checks.

Cons

It is hard to pinpoint anything that I don't like, because it fills my need by enabling me to check a document as I write, also it allows me to the opportunity to accept certain changes that make the document correct and well as its readability.

Kay B.

After five years with White Smoke.

Reviewed on 2019/01/29

I have not found another product I like better but I do look .... Even after five years using it I would jump in a heartbeat if I found one that I didn't have the grammer problems, and the duplication and deletion issues.

Pros

I like knowing 95% of the time White Smoke finds and corrects my spelling errors.

Cons

It doesn't do a good job of catching the grammatical errors. It also often doubles and triples line of text. Other times it deletes items. It is madding when you have an email only to have White Smoke "bastardize" it so much with it duplication or it deletions that it doesn't look anything like your email at all.

On occation it delete my entire email or word document.

Timmy T.

Customizable Grammar and spelling software with a sturdy API

Reviewed on 2020/08/23

Whitesmoke runs on each of the reports that field technicians send to managers. The managers then collate their reports and send them to an operational overseer and use Whitesmoke to blend the many types of writing and reporting while removing errors. It results in a quickly-made, yet cohesive, document.

Pros

I love that I am able to very easily add a custom dictionary- we often use words internally that appear like jargon to the spellchecker and can't be counted as part of a complete sentence- rather than wasting time of our managers to correct these errors, we add the abbreviations as words and speed along in reviews.

Cons

Many of the pre-existing "style guides" seem like they are canned responses rather than analyzing the corpus of text and sentence structures that are present in a document that is being reviewed. I had hoped for a more interactive experience on grammar improvement.

Response from WhiteSmoke

Thanks for the feedback Tommy!

Amandeep S.

Best inexpensive alternative to grammar check apps

Reviewed on 2021/01/05

Pros

It is having multiple features, best in terms of money inexpensive.

Cons

Functionality and application are not at all up to the mark.

Dossie h T.

Not consistent

Reviewed on 2019/02/07

Overall, it's a good program, but I believe it could be better if you give it a few more tweaks. As I noted above, it will often show errors that aren't there. There also seems to be a problem identifying tenses.

Pros

The most salient feature of WhiteSmoke is a spell check. It's confusing sometimes because it does not always show correctly subject and verb agreement. It's time-consuming, trying to see what's wrong when there's nothing wrong.

Cons

The program will often stop in the middle of reviewing, which is also exasperating. It may be something I am not doing, but I must "call up" the program, using f2, rather than have it visible and available whenever I need it. If you could provide information about that, I'd appreciate it.

Brenda S.

Why I like WhiteSmoke

Reviewed on 2019/01/29

I am an author and I would not turn in my manuscript without a WhiteSmoke check.

Pros

WhiteSmoke found punctuation and mistakes in spelling I made that other spell checkers did not. It gave helpful suggestions on other words to use and pointed out when I used the same word too many times. It also rated my paragraphs. I was not only helpful but made me think.

Cons

It would have saved some time when checking a manuscript if the program would have ignored the paragraphs that did not need to be fixed.

Lindell A.

Assessmentmof Whitesmoke

Reviewed on 2019/02/05

Pros

It is a quick way to spot mistakes I have made in sending messages.

Cons

Support is slow in responding to my requests.

• Used Other for 1+ year

Looks good on paper but on workflow....

Reviewed on 2019/05/31

Close but not quite. It can do a few cool things but still yet to be convinced whether it is necessary compared to alternatives

Pros

It does a lot of different things at a lower price point so worth a looks

Cons

It feels clunky and old. Also, customer service is no great. Made me feel like I was doing something wrong when I changed laptops and tried to reinstall

Susan S.

Excellent Product

Reviewed on 2019/07/31

I've published 3 novels thanks to this program. It helps alleviate my fear of commas. And guarantees I spell words like alleviate correctly. :)

Pros

I love this program and would not be able to function without it.

Cons

I like every feature of this program. It's easy to use and does everything I need it to do.