Showing 35 reviews of 34

PerfectIt

Proofreading software for editors, managers, and writers

Showing 35 reviews of 34
Wendy B.
  • Industry: Legal Services

The tool you didn't know you needed

Reviewed on 2020/09/15

Having the right tools makes me a better editor. PerfectIt is one of the best tools I have.

Pros

It's easy to use, thorough, and extremely customizable. It does all the tedious stuff that makes my eyes and my head ache, and lets me use my time for the stuff that needs an editor's brain.

Cons

I can't complain about a thing. It's a brilliant piece of software.

Karin C.

An Essential Tool for the Editor

Reviewed on 2020/09/03

To the extent that I have experienced any technical issues with the software, and they have been negligible in the years that I have used it, customer service has been flawless and the problem is resolved almost immediately.

There are no products like it on the market. Many attempts have been made to copy it, but they uniformly suggest changes that would introduce errors into the manuscript at worst and suggest changes in the name of concision that would strip the work of its soul at best.

Pros

PerfectIt continues to be one of the wisest business purchases for the editor. This cunning software ensures consistently throughout the manuscript and automates many tasks that would otherwise take longer. Further, PerfectIt spotted the typo "shit" for "shift" in a Workers' Compensation evaluation, and so it paid for itself on the spot. I am sure I would have found it, but industry standard means that editors catch 95% of errors. I charge by the hour for forensic reports, so this software saves my clients money. I charge fiction and other projects by the word, so this saves me time and increases my hourly rate for those projects.

Even though I do a lot of structural and line editing, I rely on this software to spot inconsistencies in queries as a diagnostic for the author and to ensure that place names, character names, and similar are consistently spelled so as to avoid introducing errors into the manuscript. It also helps me spot the author's style choices.

Cons

The only thing missing is APA 7. It would be helpful to have this style guide since I rely on it and CMOS almost exclusively. Even with that omission, PerfectIt is excellent.

Lynn C.

PerfectIt is almost Perfect

Reviewed on 2020/10/12

I love it! I can't be without it, particularly in my work with academic manuscripts.

Pros

Once I learned how to use it effectively, it has saved me loads of time and busywork. It catches inconsistencies that would require hours of my time. In fact, I would probably have missed many of them entirely. It's absolutely great for enforcing style rules.

Cons

It had a glitch at one point that made it unworkable, but the friendly, helpful, and responsive administrators got me back running after a short interactive process.

Rouletta B.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

The consistency checks are amazing!

Reviewed on 2020/08/31

Final document checks, mainly for consistency.

Pros

Consistency and definition of terms, particularly on first use, are always an issue in technical writing and PerfectIt makes it so easy to do consistency checks and ensure that terms are properly defined. These features really give PerfectIt an advantage over similar software I have used.

Cons

I would prefer to see the "Compile comments" feature prior to the "Delete comments" feature. It just isn't logical the way it is, if I delete comments they are not there for me to compile so there is no need for the "Compile comments" where it resides, it should logically come before deletion of the comments so that they can be compiled prior to their deletion. Minor, but a frustration and annoyance everytime!

Inge N.

Valuable help

Reviewed on 2020/09/02

Easy to use. Helps me really find the things that my own review and that of revisers missed.

Pros

PerfectIt helps me write well when translating legal documents, in particular legal briefs.

Cons

Slows down Word a bit; at least according to the pop-up message I sometimes get in Word

John L.

Consistency checker

Reviewed on 2020/08/28

Does contribute to overall quality of my translations as a proofreader.

Pros

Very good at identifying inconsistencies, for example, words spelled two different ways, or lists with inconsistent punctuation.

Cons

I don't like paying every year. A one-time fee with upgrade costs would be much preferable.

Tom P.
  • Industry: Publishing

Great product, great customer support

Reviewed on 2020/09/16

A quick run-through with PerfectIt has been mandatory at the end stage of any proofreading or copy editing work we do. It has helped catch so many of those small inconsistencies that otherwise might be passed along to the next stage. Customer service is also top-notch--fast and attentive.

Pros

It catches all the little consistency errors that are difficult to catch in both large and small publishing projects.

Cons

Nothing of note. Company typically responds to additional functionality requests in new builds.

Jenny W.
  • Industry: Publishing

A valuable addition to an editor's toolbox.

Reviewed on 2020/09/03

This product improves efficiency and accuracy.

Pros

PerfectIt is a fantastic consistency checker. It saves valuable time on a long edit and integrates perfectly with Word. I use it on every single editing project.

Cons

It sometimes struggles with very long documents but this has improved with each new software update.

Martin S.

Perfect for me

Reviewed on 2020/09/15

Best in class - Would recommend to anyone in the same role.

Pros

The facility to set up different styles that can't be found find on comparable software and It makes changes globally which saves so much time.

Cons

Haven't personally found any cons and not had any problems.

Irene K.
  • Industry: Translation & Localization

Extra QA for translation/editing large documents

Reviewed on 2020/10/28

I am very happy with it!

Pros

It is easy to use and the QA it complements other proofreading/editing tools I use

Cons

There is nothing I don't like about it...

Katrien B.

Essential tool for proofreaders

Reviewed on 2020/09/20

PerfectIt enables me to deliver a top quality service to my customers. I especially use PerfectIt to check for inconsistencies in very large documents. I couldn't go without it.

Pros

I like its ability to detect inconsistencies, and as I often proofread academic articles, how PerfectIt determines where abbreviations should be spelled out and where only the abbreviation should be used. The most useful feature for me is that it tells you how many occurrences there are of spelling version A and how many of version B, giving you the option to select the version of your preference and making the changes, either one by one, or to all occurrences simultaneously.

Cons

There isn't anything I dislike. I just wished I had more time to study its many features that I haven't explored yet. I haven't looked into creating my own style guides, which is probably quite easy.
I also wished that, in the case of abbreviations, PerfectIt would pick up that an abbreviation should be spelled out once in the abstract and once again in the main part of the text, but I understand that this may be very difficult to achieve. On a positive note, when PerfectIt picks up the abbreviations, it allows you to scroll through all the occurrences and check where the abbreviations appear in the text. It is easy to make changes where necessary.

Ron S.

PerfectIt and me

Reviewed on 2020/10/15

The quality of my translations has vastly improved since I started using PerfectIt. I don't care who it is, the human mind simply cannot detect every error in a document. PerfectIt can!

Pros

When I've completed a translation, I always run PerfectIt – and it never ceases to amaze me how many errors the programme finds! It first makes me aware of my own grammatical frailties, which I correct with one click! Superb!

Cons

T'would be marvellous if it worked its magic not only in Word, but in other Office programmes as well, such as Power Point.

Janice G.
  • Industry: Publishing

I couldn't run my business without PerfectIt software.

Reviewed on 2020/08/12

Pros

A proofreader is by nature a meticulous, thorough and conscientious person, so each and every job has been corrected painstakingly to their ultimate ability. However, PerfectIt weeds out every single outstanding fault, including missing closing quotation marks or parentheses, unintentional US English spellings, and even accidental changes in name spellings, for example when Matthew becomes Mathew. It's main benefit is CONSISTENCY across a whole document, however large.
It was easy to install, intuitive and easy to use. It's also very cheap! Support is excellent - its designer, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], is quick to respond and really helpful.

Cons

I am a Mac user, and although there is a version for Mac, it is not nearly as effective as the Windows version which incorporates Style Sheets. This would make PerfectIt the most amazing piece of software for the entire editing and publishing world. In spite of this, I still love it and recommend it all the time.

Elizabeth F.

PerfectIt probably saves me 20% of my time in editing

Reviewed on 2020/09/15

I love PerfectIt and recommend it to all my editing colleagues and subcontractors. I even showed a potential client why they should hire me by walking her through a sample document using PerfectIt. She was impressed by all the errors the software caught.

Pros

PerfectIt catches errors that I might miss, especially under pressure or when I'm tired.

Cons

I know of no cons at all. Even the cost is not a con; it's minimal compared to all the other software subscriptions I have to pay for!

Carolyn P.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Sweeps into all the corners

Reviewed on 2020/09/28

PerfectIt was recommended to me by the developer of another editing program - StyleWriter - that I also constantly use. The two programs meet quite different needs and I never submit a completed editing job without running both.
I have been impressed (over several years using the program) by the prompt and patient tech support PerfectIt has provided when needed.

Pros

I'm a confident editor, but I never catch all the errors and inconsistencies that PerfectIt spots, especially on big projects. I now make sure that I run PerfectIt as the last stage in any job I submit - I know it will sweep into all the corners.

Cons

Takes a little while to scan through all the possible types of error - I stretch my legs and make a coffee while it’s running - but it’s 100 times faster than I am.

Anna N.
  • Industry: Publishing

Worth its weight in gold

Reviewed on 2020/09/03

I use it daily for last-minute checks of my editing. It provides additional peace of mind.

Pros

PerfectIt is an invaluable tool! It picks up inconsistencies, and highlights things not adhering to style.

Cons

I use the Cloud version (the one compatible with Mac OS. It’s not quite as versatile as the Windows/PC version. It is not as customisable.

Sally A.
  • Industry: Media Production

An essential tool for writers, editors and proofreaders

Reviewed on 2020/09/02

Speeds up the editing and proofreading process by catching the inconsistencies. Invaluable for large documents.

Pros

An invaluable assistant that gives confidence to editors working on large documents.

Cons

Occasionally makes silly suggestions, or ones that contradict Australian style/dictionary recommendations.

Diane P.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

PerfectIt is exactly what I need to give my documents a professional polish

Reviewed on 2020/10/05

Pros

I have been using PerfectIt for several years. As an editor I find it an excellent way to run a final polish on the documents I am working on. Invariably PerfectIt finds something I've missed!

Cons

There is nothing I dislike about this software.

Crystal N.

Enforces Consistency and Helps Build Style Sheet

Reviewed on 2020/08/28

In addition to helping me enforce consistency throughout a manuscript, PerfectIt also helps me start building my style sheet by documenting the decisions I make.

Pros

It lets me customize the style points it's checking for, such as American spelling vs. British spelling, numbers spelled out vs. numerals, etc.

Cons

I can't find a way to stop it from performing certain tests (such as looking for contractions).

Dick M.
  • Industry: Publishing

To err is human, but clients don't see it that way

Reviewed on 2020/09/28

Pros

The human brain is notoriously bad at maintaining the kind of consistency PerfectIt ensures. I have a human brain. Ergo . . .

Cons

Some of the setup tasks for advanced features take a while to absorb.

Nikki B.
  • Industry: Publishing

Time-saving tool for editors like me

Reviewed on 2020/09/15

I've been using PerfectIt for several years. First, I used it with a PC laptop even though my main machine is an iMac because the Cloud version wasn't available. As soon as the Cloud version was released, I shoved my PC laptop in a drawer and bought a Mac laptop. PerfectIt simplifies my life and helps me streamline my business practices.

Pros

As a freelance editor who works primarily with fiction and creative nonfiction, I find PerfectIt saves me time and helps me to work more efficiently. I am thrilled that a Cloud version is now available for Mac users. I actually held off on buying a second Mac for my business until the Cloud version was made available. PerfectIt helps me ensure consistency in the manuscripts I edit. It's the only editing software I subscribe to. I also appreciate PerfectIt because I am averse to using macros on a Mac and the program helps make up for some of that.

Cons

Although the Cloud version continues to improve, I'll be happier when I can run a 100K-word document through PerfectIt without having to run some of the PerfectIt tests individually because of file size. I'd also like to be able to configure the Cloud version for different style guides, but I don't think that's available yet.

Dorothy D.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

I really appreciate PerfectIt!

Reviewed on 2020/10/28

Generally very happy with PerfectIt! and also purchased a copy for a friend.

Pros

I love that the checks are so granular - - what a huge timesaver! I can select exactly what I want to check, and PerfectIt's suggestions are not buried in a tsunami of other checks and suggestions.

For a recent book, many words were correctly presented as both lowercase and capitalized, depending on context. PerfectIt! enabled us to go through the text with great efficiency, ensuring that we had Name where we wanted the cap, and name where we wanted lowercase.

Cons

For my work, it would be helpful if PerfectIt! both identified potential spelling errors, and also gave me a way to export that list. My most recent editing job involved many Sanskrit words, and each one needed to be checked. PerfectIt! caught some of them. (Example: yoga asana (a pose in yoga) would be yoga aasana (double a at the beginning) in the book, which should present as a spelling error.

Mark W.
  • Industry: Publishing

PerfectIt is a BRILLIANT "shadow editor" for my work with publishers, corporations, and authors

Reviewed on 2020/10/30

I work with major publishers around the globe, and must deliver high-quality edited documents to them for publication. PerfectIt is my right-hand-expert to give my work a thorough scrubbing before I deliver my projects to clients.

Pros

PerfectIt (version 4) was incredibly easy to integrate with my other software, which I have used for decades to copyedit more than 400 books and dozens of websites. It has brilliant, even dazzling, architecture that finds inconsistencies in spelling, capitalization, and hyphenation of thousands of words and phrases, and lets me fix them or keep them as appropriate (including whether to spell out acronyms after first use). It then shows me each passage under review, so that I can decide what to do, one by one issue. In fact, it has many tools that I never need to use (like table of contents, etc.). Love it to death!

Cons

I have not found any problems or missing "tools" in PerfectIt. Some other users might say it has TOO MANY tools, but they are not mandatory and some are not needed in certain kinds of writing (say, novels, or personal essays).

Paul F.

Why I use PerfectIt

Reviewed on 2020/10/29

Excellent! Aside from the above, if I have a question I receive a personalised response, and if I make a suggestion they listen.
(By the way I almost never leave reviews but I'm happy to make an exception for PerfectIt.)

Pros

Once I moved on from a collaborative work environment to a freelance, I needed some help with proof reading. While I do like some other products too, PerfectIt is the one I pay for and use all the time. So many features to like: ease of use; the number of different checks; different style guides to choose from; the way it picks up the little inconsistencies in my drafts; and the way it speeds up my editing and checking. These are just the beginning.

Cons

I use a Mac and sometimes have to wait a little while longer than Windows users for new features. Not a grumble – it's about all I can think of to put in this box.