Showing 26 reviews of 16

LanguageTool

Open-source proofreading software for publishing houses

4 /5 (16 reviews) Write a Review!

4 /5
Showing 26 reviews of 16
Alberto S.

Grammarly Killer

Reviewed on 2019/07/16

Pros

It works with a lot of languages. It has better visual helpers than Grammarly. And the free version is more than enough. AND you can use the Chrome extension WITHOUT creating an account. 😃

Cons

There is nothing I don't like about this app.

• Industry: Research
  • Company size: 501-1 000 Employees

The must-have tool for those whose texts are going to be read by others

Reviewed on 2019/08/31

LanguageTool makes you a better writer: not only fixes your spelling and grammar, but also provides comprehensive explanations that help you understand some grammar rules and not repeat them again (or not so often).

Pros

* It works like a regular spell-checker that we are familiar with, but also checking grammar
* It supports plenty of languages.
* Free/Libre Opensource software
* Crowdsourced: anyone can add new rules for specific languages, making LT better
* It can be added as a browser's plugin to check your grammar in any text box
* It can be used with most popular word processors: LibreOffice, MS Word, Google Writer...

Cons

Some languages would benefit from more contributors adding more grammar rules

Sheza H.

Best Solution for Your Content

Reviewed on 2019/11/05

Pros

I like this software as it helps me to check my contents within no time. It corrects the mistakes present in the articles or other materials. The free version of this tool is more than enough, and it is the best alternative to Grammarly. Also, it is quite easy to install and use.

Cons

Sometimes, I feel that this tool gives you limited options for your content. It may be because of its free version. I wish LanguageTool could check more words.

Lucas M.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

It is at least as good as any other grammar/spell checking software I know of

Reviewed on 2019/12/11

I like to run the text pieces I review through a few softwares, just to be sure no mistakes go unnoticed, and also to become aware of issues that pass through my attention. Language Tool is one of the last softwares I use in this queue checks, and to my surprise it sometimes catches a few mistakes that go through both my own attention and also the checks of the similar softwares used before it. I believe no grammar checking tool will ever make a thorough multiple check obsolete, but Language Tool is certainly one of the steps I am sold on maintaining on my 'queue' for the foreseeable future

Pros

Very useful for grammar checking any pieces of text that are important or really need to be flawless. I believe that, for most users that do not need a strictly flawless proofreading, Language Tool alone is more than enough. I consider it to be at least as good as any other single similar tool, only being beaten by multiple independent checks through different softwares or readers

Cons

Although I have no specific issues with this tool, and I think it takes care of most evident needs users have when using it, I believe it is still not at the level of polishment of a few other classic softwares, where they predict and address issues that are not evident, but that are common to most users, but that become more evident to professionals on that specific topic. I believe the next step for this tool would be the inclusion of a type prediction feature/algorithm.

Christopher B.

The only grammar checker that supports more than just English

Reviewed on 2020/12/29

Pros

Easy to use, integrates flawlessly. Suggestions are always helpful.

Cons

I'm quite happy currently. There might be more feedback in the future

Beverly A.

Grammar Check Software

Reviewed on 2019/09/27

The overall experience with LanguageTool has been good. It is a simple software that proofread and corrects all my errors. I can also work offline.

Pros

LanguageTool is a good Software tool for checking and correcting grammar errors on my papers. It spellchecks and corrects all my important work. Its a great software to correct my papers. Sometimes I write quickly and I write the wrong words in the sentence. I do not have to worry, LanguageTool does it job. This software tool helps in correcting those simple errors that I overlooked.

Cons

I wish there were more updates on this software. Its little too basic, but LanguageTool gets the job done.

• Industry: Medical Practice

LanguageTool-Perfection

Reviewed on 2019/10/22

It’s a fantastic alternative who are familiar with Grammarly. The free version of this app is more enough when compared to the other high monthly subscription market available software. Just give a try on this cool app and make your outputs without gramma issues.

Pros

When we reached some level, we can’t make silly mistakes when we deal with professional matters, and Language tool is the best solution to take care of these matters. It’s really helpful for me during my emails, project submissions, report makings to just ensure the grammatical errors and other stuff. It's freely available and not much as complicated to use it. We can install the plug-in for Microsoft Word and thereafter we are free to simple grammar issues on our daily outputs.

Cons

I did not notice any negative signs of these cool app. Hope more future updates should improve the service into the next level.

Ena B.
  • Industry: Translation & Localization
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

I check everything with LanguageTool

Reviewed on 2020/04/29

My native language is Croatian. I've been using LanguageTool since my college days and I don't know how would I be able to write a text in a foreign language without it anymore! I use it mostly for English and Russian and I would just copy-paste the whole documents and see a bunch of mistakes I wasn't aware of. I use it to check my business emails, translations, resume... I honestly recommend it, it's very helpful and easy to use.

Pros

LanguageTool not only points out your mistakes but categorizes them using colours and suggests several answers that are correct and seem to fit. And it works on the syntax level! Plus, I find it awesome that it differs American and British English. It's very user-friendly and visually appealing.

Cons

I really have to say I can't think of anything, it has been created very thoughtfully and thoroughly.

• Industry: Publishing

OK for a community-based tool but leaves one wanting

Reviewed on 2019/10/17

I used to like it until I discovered other tools. I still use it every now and then to check if they've improved. I might have contributed a rule or two to LT as well.

Pros

LT is simple and easy. You paste your text and check. It checks spelling, grammar, and such. It's good considering it's free and community-based. And it's perhaps the only major Grammar checking tool in non-English languages.

Cons

While it's better than Word any day, it leaves a lot to be desired. Other grammar checkers that are free too give a lot more changes. It fails to capture many, many errors.

David R.
  • Industry: Accounting
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Glorified spellchecker at best, avoid this program!

Reviewed on 2020/09/01

Unhappy wanted a refund after 22 days, wouldn't refund any of my 1 year subscription

Pros

nothing, so many errors and changing British to US spellings

Cons

Awful compared to Grammarly, terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible terrible

Shahzaib U.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Breaking Language Barriers - Top Writing Software

Reviewed on 2019/11/20

Pros

Language tool is one of my favourites and Best Software I have used so far, I am providing SEO optimized Article writing services online, sometimes I get articles of different language at that time of difficulty LanguageTool has helped me a lot. It can detect your Grammar errors, Style, Formatting and can write in any language easily. I recommend Language tool to all of my friends.

Cons

The only thing I don't like it, we can't check plagiarism with this tool, a lot of other software providing this feature other than that its one of the best software without any doubt.

Hanah S.

Very Simple

Reviewed on 2019/04/04

Overall, I was looking a while back for a list of simple sites just like this. This solved my problem. I wanted to give out more than one simple grammar proofreading site to other people I know who love to write. This solved my problem because I needed more than one site to look into. This site is added to my writing list and it will stay.

Pros

This site and download is simple. I love how I can just paste my whole document or short writing project into the blank area on the screen. It's not long and complicated. I just love how easy this is. I can also connect this with Microsoft Word which I always use. If my document has a mistake in it the website/program will easily pick it up. It will highlight the grammar mistake or error. I just have to click on it and it will tell me options to fix it. It's like other simple sites, but I will continue to keep this one on my list. There is a quick option to delete everything if needed which is helpful when I need to finish my work fast.

Cons

There is only a few things I don't like about it. I really wish there were more grammar mistake helpful tips. Each level of the site has only a certain amount of options. I also wish it would have an unlimited amount of characters it could check. The amount they have is pretty good, but for a writer I would want unlimited.

Dean C.
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film
  • Used Other for 1-5 months

Another "Social Justice Warrior" Company

Reviewed on 2019/12/05

Social justice warriors disguised as a software tool.

Pros

Nothing other than it was FREE. You get what you pay for...

Cons

This company is using their product to push a social agenda. When I entered "illegal alien," it flagged it as incorrect and suggested phrases such as: "Undocumented" this or that... I don't need software that corrects me when I use a term THEY don't agree with, even though it is the proper term.

Gael K.

Great

Reviewed on 2019/08/07

Pros

As long as i have to write emails all day long, and in different languages, it helps me to correct mistakes. I can't work now without it.

Cons

for long emails, you need to upgrade it and use the paid version. At the moment, i am only using the free Version.

Bobbett J.
  • Industry: Farming
  • Used Other for 6-12 months

Use as you need to with no commitment

Reviewed on 2019/08/11

Not too hard to install. All its features can be downloaded for free, and you only use those features that you want. Not hard to do spell checks with, grammar checks, typos, etc.

Pros

I've used this program on an as-needed basis. The first time I ran the info on my website through it to check for errors. It found a few that not even I had seen! I use it several times a week when I right reviews on products that I've bought to make sure my grammar is correct and there are no typos. I've also used it on essays and before handing in report for college. It really find things that you normally would overlook.

Cons

There's nothing that I really dislike although it sometimes finds mistake that I don't think are mistakes, so I over-ride the programming. I just wish it could be "taught" my personal style so it could learn.