DaVinci Resolve Reviews

DaVinci Resolve

Video editing software for post-production processes

Lucas
Lucas
  • Industry: Higher Education

Software that works, with the user at the center

Reviewed on 2022/02/24

After trying several tools, I landed on Resolve and have not been sorry. Although any NLE presents a learning curve, Resolve is thoughtfully designed for effective all-day use. Its interface is pleasant and its tools powerful.

Pros

Resolve makes editing fast, with powerful keyboard shortcuts and multi-monitor layout. The inclusion of audio editing makes this a complete tool for video editing and production.

Cons

Resolve is generally more demanding of hardware than Adobe's editor, so cheaper computers may struggle.

Reasons for Switching to DaVinci Resolve

The starter version, a very robust suite, is free. I also own Premiere Pro but find its interface difficult.
Xorla

The best of both worlds.....amateur and professional video work

Reviewed on 2021/05/27

My experience with Resolve has been 110%. Around Resolve, I have been able to develop myself into a professional video creator to earn a second stream of income. And all the feedback I have ever gotten from clients about work I have done with Resolve have been positive. Finally, considering I have only worked with free versions over multiple updagrades, I really have nothing but praise.

Pros

Da Vinci Resolve is an extremely comprehensive product and offers an unbelievable range of utility and functionality. What I found most amazing was how intuitive it was. Unlike other professional video software, you don't get particularly overwhelmed on your first attempt if you've only previously worked with amateur software. The interphase is neatly designed to tuck away all the advanced tools and features just within reach as you progress, but not so upfront that you get overcome. Also, for a program whose free version far outperforms paid versions of its competitors, the amount of guidance resources and free tutorial material readily available is awesome.

Cons

The installation process can be quite tedious. They could improve it by automating the entire process. Available plugins for additional features could also be better packaged. But honestly, compared to how great the product is, I feel like these minuses are quite petty. Haha

Reasons for Choosing DaVinci Resolve

For my first try at semi-pro video production, I needed a software with more to offer than the very basic functionality of Movie Maker.

Reasons for Switching to DaVinci Resolve

The others had most of their sophisticated functions reserved for paid versions. And also, the reviews I read helped me make the decision to start off with Resolve.
Kim

Good with color, bad to edit on.

Reviewed on 2023/03/06

Pros

The color functionally is great and I would recommend using this for color correction.

Cons

The editing though is abysmal, and simple things like speed ramping and key frames is overly complicated.

Mersen
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

The BEST VIDEO EDITING SOFTWARE Money Can't Buy- IT'S FREE

Reviewed on 2020/10/13

Overall, I love it! It has everything a $0 film maker needs to put their creativity into fruition. It gives small filmmakers like us a tool that professionals still use and that has never happened before. Minus the major movie stars, we're almost on the same playing field now. I've edited videos on it for 3 years and I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon- if I do it will probably be to the full paid version Davinci Resolve Studio.

Pros

Firstly, it's free. It has everything anyone would ever need to make a film. From sound editing to colour correcting, all the tools it provides are professional and easy to use. Did I mention that it's free? Another great thing about the software is that it actually uses your GPU. I also particularly like its trimming tools as I find that there aren't many free video editing softwares that give you the ability to make such precise cuts on a video. This is especially useful if you're a video creator who HAS TO cut 'that scene' at just the right moment else the whole film is terrible. Yes, I'm that video creator. Visual playback isn't too shabby either- it does lag sometimes but a feature called optimized media reduces that. Lastly, the thing I probably like the most is the endless options for editing the actual video appearance. You can zoom in on it, crop it, stretch it and keyframe each change to create an animated effect.

Cons

It's system requirements. The software needs AT LEAST 16GB of DDR4 RAM to run smoothly. I currently run it on just 8GB which is fine if you don't mind lag and random software crashes. Davinci Resolve also comes with the default settings for Autosave being off. I learnt that one the hard way. It also sometimes has problems with audio output, particularly when you use more than one output device (like headphones and external speakers). Sometimes it doesn't automatically change to the system device. Another thing I noticed is that, for some odd reason, it randomly outputs mono audio from a stereo audio file but this does eventually fix itself.

Sean
  • Industry: Media Production

Best NLE you can get your hands on

Reviewed on 2022/09/07

Pros

Pay once model, no monthly overhead and free updates after that.
Far superior editing model compared to Adobe's clunk dynamic link.

Cons

Understanding some of the concepts of node based editing can be tricky at times, however once you understand that you're flying.
It can be a bit resource intensive.

Final Cut Pro

Reasons for Choosing DaVinci Resolve

Pay once model, tired of endless crashing with Adobe products.

Reasons for Switching to DaVinci Resolve

If I moved to a Linux or Windows machine in the future I do not have to pay for another editing suite, with Final Cut I would be tied to a Mac.
Brendan

DaVinci Resolve converted me from the Adobe CC

Reviewed on 2022/08/25

Resolve has just sped up my workflow and has also provided tools (the colour tab) to make my content look even better. I now only user Adobe for AE, but once Fusion is fleshed out a bit more, I can see myself spending the time to learn it and make the switch.

For a more detailed breakdown of features, read that section of the review.

Pros

- It's speed and performance in comparison to the competition
- Multiple application windows in the one application. Bouncing between areas is seamless
- The colour correction and grading. Nuff said
- The pricing. Production software like this IMO is a tool and not a service. I can't stand that if you stop paying for Adobe's CC, you get locked out from using the old tools that you've spent thousands on rather than just not being able to download future updates. Resolve's buy once and own for life is perfect, especially since you can also download almost the full program to use for free anyway

Cons

I don't really have any complaints, other than sometimes I have technical issues and rendering is sometimes impossible without corrupted artefacts. I'm running a fairly old graphics card (980ti), and it can be really frustrating when certain updates and fixes are relegated only to the new card architecture.

Klavs
  • Industry: Media Production

The best free and the best paid

Reviewed on 2022/10/15

I'm really fond of Davinci Resolve, it contains everything I need and I love the workflow of the program.

Pros

The fact that it's free to use and you get a free studio license if you buy a camera, is just amazing. But the main reason for using this product is that they update it quite often and I my system doesn't get breakdowns.

Cons

The audio editing in Resolve is not as great as it could be. BUT for me the video editing is the most important. Non-movable windows within the program.

Adobe Premiere Pro

Reasons for Choosing DaVinci Resolve

cheaper, easier workflow, ATEM switcher project workflow (makes my day)

Reasons for Switching to DaVinci Resolve

It's generally easier to work in Resolve with the Blackmagic ATEM recordings.
Arvid
  • Industry: Music

Very heppay with this amazing video-editing software

Reviewed on 2021/08/19

Very good. I very much enjoy working with this software. Once familiar with the software (at least the parts that I use), it's proven to be the optimal video-editing software for me. Also, I very much like the sound-editing functionalities with the standard embedded effects in it. Now, I can do video and audio in one single program which makes it a lot easier to build a project.

Pros

All I need for editing my video's is in Davinci Resolve. I can edit op to the frame, which is exactly what I need. Also, all settings (that I use either way) are editable with numbers. That makes it easy to copy settings and values. Those were the main reasons for me to use Davinci Resolve over other products like Camtasia.

Cons

The learning curve can be a thing. I definitely needed some time to get familiar with the software. But it was worth it. Also, I needed a pretty decent computer for smooth editing of my video's. So , that might be somewhat costly for business starters.

Adobe Premiere Pro and Camtasia

Reasons for Switching to DaVinci Resolve

I favoured Davinci Resolve for it's usage-capabilities and it's price, which is almost unbelievable in respect of all the value and functionalities in the product.

From small to big, an essential tool for the media creator.

Reviewed on 2022/09/15

I use it to integrate VFX and 3D CGI for small shorts, but some times I had to create medium length media and it's also a pleasure to work for these projects.
Also in art schools I like teaching this software because it makes students feel like they progress fast on their creative solutions. It is not a class of teaching the tool, but a class of using a tool for media creation. Which is something that you cannot say of other software.

Pros

I really love how DaVinci is able to accommodate all kind of projects and workflows.
Having professional-grade software ranging from free to full-paid with advanced options is a killer.
This is very useful as the software to go for schools and students. And it can get as big as needed.
The learning curve for newcomers is very fast, and I have only had some trouble trying to explain how a project media library differs from what you see at the OS file level. But nothing wrong or bad with it.

Cons

I think the interface may seem to be complex when you see it the first time, but the tutorials that come in the documentation make this barrier to disappear fast.

Guillermo
Guillermo

The simplest yet most powerful professional video edition software

Reviewed on 2022/09/29

I came across DaVinci Resolve in early 2020, during the pandemic. As an amateur musician and video editor I was able to produce very decent videos in less than a couple of days using phone video takes. The vast offer of tutorials and effects make it very easy to create nice results with minimum effort. Still use it. I don't regret have made the switch from Adobe to Davinci.

Pros

All in one. Easy to use, Intuitive, professional tools and effects, vast library of tutorial material on the web
Up and running in hours.

Cons

It is very difficult to me to find something that I dislike so far.

Richard

Best Partially-Free Editing Software

Reviewed on 2022/03/26

Overall I really like this editing software because it is easy to use it and it gives you a very high quality end-product. Also, the workflow is quite fast and smooth.

Pros

I strongly believe that DaVinci Resolve is the best partially-free editing software out there for the following reasons:
1) It has many free features.
2) There is no watermark on the export of the video.
3) Nice environment to work and and edit your videos.
4) Cool transitions.
5) Supports many formats of materials.
6) It has a one-time payment to buy the full program and is quite cheap.
7) Easy to learn it and many more.

Cons

The only think that I liked the least about this program is that when you hover over some Pro features with your mouse, a window will pop-up that says that this is the limit of free version and you have to buy the full version so that you can access this feature.

Cristhian Josue
Cristhian Josue
  • Industry: Design

Davinci resolve, an oscar-worthy video editor

Reviewed on 2021/09/01

Davinci resolve, meets all my needs, it's a powerful editor that doesn't require a lot of effort to learn how it works, but it can help us to create very large projects, it's good, cheap, and powerful.

A great video editing software

Pros

Davinci resolve is not expensive, compared to other alternatives, this video editor gives us the software license and updates FOR LIFE, for a single payment, maybe the initial investment isn't cheap, but it will last forever.

This video editor has been used in great movies and projects, so it will undoubtedly help us to create the best version of our final cut, this video editor also offers us the opportunity to use a downgrade version with the essentials to create good montages.

Davinci resolve is an alternative that everyone should try at least once.

Cons

This being such a powerful software can have its disadvantages, Davinci is designed for video editing professionals, so it may be too much for you, if you are looking for a simple software, which only occupies to cut and paste video sequences, there are much cheaper alternatives that will meet what you are looking for, so I invite you to look for more basic video editors before buying this one.

Golden
  • Industry: Food & Beverages
  • Company size: 10 000+ Employees

Davinci Resolve is a powerhouse tool in the video editing fraternity.

Reviewed on 2021/09/30

This a the best video editing software for me. Davinci Resolve has got a well structured workflow, from adding media, to editing it, to adding and modifying Fusion effects, Color grading, a variety of video transitions, Open FX plugins. This software is a real gem.

Pros

The advantages of Davinci resolve is that its always being updated to a higher version, which makes it ever relevant in the game. I really liked its abilty to combine multi cameras or combining several videos into one. Color grading is very easy using Davinci Resolve. It has so many video editing tools which are user friendly. Its user interface is very modern and sleek. I can also edit my audio in Davinci Resolve and it has 3D sound effects. A wide variety of transitions and effects enables me to produce quality videos. Resolve is not difficult to master and use. Above all, the software is free and can be upgraded easily.

Cons

Davinci Resolve 17 requires a machine with a bigger working capacity. Sometimes it just crashes and you lose your work. Sometimes rendering takes a lot of time if your machine has a low capacity. However, all these challenges are most common in the unpaid version only.

The best in Color Grading.

Reviewed on 2022/03/20

I've used the program for more than two years, and I think it's a good option to start working with, considering that it has a free version.

Pros

It is true that there are many programs that enable you to Correct Colors ,Color Grading, add effects and make an integrated montage, but so far no program has been able to reach accuracy and make color correction very professional like Da Vinci Resolve, which has the best and most powerful feature I have seen since it started Work in designing videos that are Color Grading ,Correct Colors and in my opinion, he specializes in this thing more deeply than other programs.
The beautiful thing about the program is that it is very easy to use, and you can use it perfectly in a few days, and at the same time, you can get great colors.
Keep in mind that DaVinci Resolve has a free full version, which will be why you don't hesitate to use it in your projects.

Cons

If the Da Vinci Resolve program is your first choice to get started, it will be easy to work with as I told you
But the problem is when I switched from using Adobe programs to Resolve, it was difficult for me to use the user interface and get used to it, it is completely different from what I used to use.

John

The most comprehensive product for video editing and color grading

Reviewed on 2023/02/04

Davinci Resolve is an all-encompassing piece of software that offers users an array of powerful tools and features. From color correction to audio mixing to compositing, this software provides a vast range of possibilities for filmmakers and videographers.Aside from its technical capabilities, it's extremely user-friendly and encourages creativity amongst its users. With plenty of tutorials available online, users can pick up the basics quickly and start playing around with their projects in no time at all.

Pros

What I appreciate about Davinci Resolve is its simplified yet powerful interface. As a long-time user of another competing software, it was quite refreshing to see how easy it was to get up and running with Davinci Resolve. With just a few clicks, I had access to all the tools needed for professional-quality videos such as color grading, audio mixing, and advanced effects. The fact that Blackmagic design took the time to make their software so user-friendly really impressed me.

Cons

Switching from one video editing software to another can be a daunting task, especially when faced with the complexity of Davinci Resolve. Despite its many features and capabilities, getting used to the different interfaces takes time and training. For new users, it may not be so intuitive at first glance. However, with patience and practice, users will begin to understand how this powerful program works. The design is well-organized thanks to its various menus and layouts that allow for easy navigation throughout the timeline. It provides extensive tools for color correction which allows editors to tweak colors accurately in order to achieve a desired look or feel for their projects. Overall, Davinci Resolve offers an array of options that give users greater control over their edit process but it does require some adjustment before you can start using it effectively.

Jackson
Jackson
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

All of the Features, None of the Price.

Reviewed on 2022/12/01

Overall, I am extremely happy with Davinci, especially considering it is a free software.

Pros

I have working knowledge of the common upper-end editing suites, and have extensive experience with Adobe Suite and Premiere. The transition to Davinci was relatively smooth. Because Davinci allows you to do so much within a single editing suite, there was a decent learning curve, but the tools and UI are customizable and relatively straightforward. Once you develop a workflow, it is smooth sailing.

Cons

Some things are a little too adjustable/customizable for my needs. For example, it can be a headache to set up audio capture, linking audio sources to tracks, etc.

Adobe Creative Cloud

Reasons for Choosing DaVinci Resolve

Adobe Creative Cloud is a large expense.

Reasons for Switching to DaVinci Resolve

The free price point is hard to pass up.
Matteo
Matteo

THE Post-Production Solution

Reviewed on 2021/05/31

AMAZING, solid, robust and (if well calibrated) unmatched!

AMAZING, solid, robust and (if well calibrated) unmatched!

Pros

EVERYTHIG AMAZING.
Media Pahe is really clear and useful, Cut Page is really fast, Edit Page is perfect, precise ... few shortcut but never confusing, the Color Page is Industry Standard ah really rich of functions (before Resolve I never think i would be able to colo grad in that way!).
Fusion Page is practically an other software (compositing software) for VFX, Fairlight Page the same (a complete audio solution) and Delivery Page a semple, clear export function.
I showed it to other professionists and ALL af those switched to Resolve.
Oh.. and it's Cross Platform (even on Linux!!!)

Cons

not for all, or maybe... NOT for all amateur... it has a particular learning curve.
Especially for Project Management.
It need a High performance machine... especially GPU.

Stella
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 5 001–10 000 Employees

A full post-production software

Reviewed on 2022/05/05

A lovely day-to-day basis video editor tool

A lovely day-to-day basis video editor tool

Pros

With DaVinci Resolve, I can perform multi-cameras editing, insert animations, and add legends and titles to the new videos. There are many other editing features including multi-user collaboration tools. In a few words, this is a professional-grade software!

Cons

In some versions, you are allowed to work in a very short range of bits, which can give you some problems while using some camera models.

Adobe Premiere Pro

Price

henly

Game Changer and it is FREE!!!

Reviewed on 2021/06/30

I have been using Sony Vegas because it fits my needs. The latest version was bugging and kept crashing. I'm a creature of habit and the thought of switching into a new software irked me. I had no choice and boy did I score big time. Firstly I won't ever have to pay the 70 dollar yearly upgrade (DaVinci is free). Secondly it is a much more powerful platform than what I was previously using. I am completely happy with this software sweet and I may even consider purchasing the "Pro" version as well.

Pros

Davinci Resolve is not your typical video editing software. For one, its entirely free, and its loaded with features that rival of Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere. If you are looking to edit a video without cutting corners this is it. If you are looking for software that will do more than your typical iMovie type of software, Davinci Resolve gives you the tools and ability to edit professional, high-quality videos. Including 4k. Need to make TikTok edits, you can! Need to submit footage for professional use, you can? All in all this softtware sweet enables you to be legitimate without spending a dime.

Cons

Its a bit different in terms of navigation that other software titles. It takes some getting used to (timeline) but because there are 100's of applicable youtube tutorials out there, just about every question you may have is available on youtube to learn step by step what to do. You can't go wrong because of the public contribution.

• Industry: Photography

If You're Considering Making The Transition To Resolve, Just Do It

Reviewed on 2022/08/31

Terrific.

Terrific.

Pros

I was scared of making the transition at first but after using it for just a couple of hours I was hooked and there was no looking back. It was amazing how I didn't even have to watch any tutorial to be able to edit a video. Of course, with more ambitious projects I found myself having to look for extra information and the more I learned about the software the more I fell in love with it. Resolve seems to have an answer for every problem you'll come across in videomaking: syncing audio from different videos automatically, incredible possibilities when editing audio, etc. All of this in just one program. No need for additional software or anything. It's your studio in just one place.

And last but not least: constant updates and improvement. The DaVinci team really listens to the users. I think that's why it got so good in the first place.

Cons

I don't dislike anything about DaVinci Resolve.

Marija

Amzing

Reviewed on 2023/07/26

Pros

One of the best video editing software I have ever had an opportunity to use, and what is the best is that it is free to use

Cons

not having its own creative cloud, but everything else that it has is making up for it

Eleazar

The all in one video editor

Reviewed on 2023/01/13

Have been making promotional and educational videos with it.

Have been making promotional and educational videos with it.

Pros

It has everything that you need to make a proper video. From editing the video, changing the color, edit the audio and animations. It's an all-in-one package. You can start for free using most of the features and then move to the paid version once you have a good taste of it. Thankfully so far NO SUBSCRIPTION. Just pay once.

Cons

Fusion has a high learning curve to it. have to spend a lot of time on tutorials to get to know fusion and make proper use of it.

Matthew
Matthew

Break free of Premiere Pro

Reviewed on 2021/01/10

I've been using the software for several years, and I'm impressed by the support and development of the software package. After using Premiere Pro for a decade, I'm enjoying editing editing.

Pros

Incredible speed and coloring. If you're a linear editing veteran, you'll adjust to the software fairly quickly. Also, being able to work through cutting, coloring, graphics, and sound design is within the program.

Cons

Old habits are hard to break. As I said, you'll adjust quickly to the software, but there are some functions (such as Fusion) that are difficult to pick up if you've been using Adobe After Effects for many years.

Nwodo
Nwodo
  • Industry: Entertainment

Davinci resolve the best video editing software so far

Reviewed on 2023/01/14

I love davinci resolve it's worth a try for all content creators who wants a clean cinematic video edit. It's just an all-in-one app. Using templates makes it a lot easier and there are bunch of free templates on the web.

Pros

I love the color grading feature it's the best i have seen so far. It makes my video look cinematic and have this professional look, the features are cool and easy to use if you have knowledge of video editing. Great for editing bad footage and audios. You can download free templates from the web and use to fasten your work.

Cons

It crashes sometimes but i think it's because of the compatibly with my laptop. Davinci should consider creating versions for lower systems.

Fernando

Forget Adobe Premiere or others, THIS IS THE BEST OPTION

Reviewed on 2022/10/20

Pros

Very fast and uses GPU & CPU at the same time, which reduces tons of hours of video editing.The free version is very good, and the Pro version costs $300, and it includes upgrades for life (pe: I bought version 16, and I'm able to update it to version 18).

Cons

Lack of a support team, but it makes sense because of the very low price, and it can be solved thanks to YouTube, BlackMagic's tutorials, and many courses.