ABELDent

Dental practice management software for Canadian market

Kelly F.

Abeldent -

Reviewed on 2018/10/04

I have been working on Abeldent for 30 years. (When it started as a database). They STILL have the same team members since 1989. That tells you something. I have worked in other offices with other software programs, but nothing is compared to Abeldent.

Pros

Abeldent is always ahead of new dental technology. If you want to use the basic fundamentals of the software, it is quite easy and user-friendly. If you want to explore more advanced settings of the software, that is an option as well. It offers so much. I find Abeldent has an easy appointment scheduler to navigate. The financial tab, to me, is so well done. It gives you so many options to view. It is well designed. I think that if team members would enjoy the financial more if they were trained properly on the financial tab. I enjoy the reports menu and contact lists. It's endless

Cons

Since the update, the receipt printing is a little slower. HOWEVER, Abeldent team always listens to their customers and ensures that requests are at the forefront and these requested are usually updated in the next version.

Response from ABELDent

Thanks for being such a loyal user of ABELDent. And yes, you are correct in stating that many of our early employees are still with the company after several decades of service!

Jan H.

ABELDent Feedback

Reviewed on 2019/09/26

Pros

Software is easy to use and has many needed features

Cons

Some specific reports and statistics are difficult to obtain

Response from ABELDent

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience using ABELDent. We are glad that you find it easy to use and it provides many of the features you require.

With respect to your reporting needs, there are several options available to produce advanced reports and key performance indicators (KPIs). Please contact us at your convenience to discuss how we might better meet your needs.

Samantha C.

Great Practice Management Software!

Reviewed on 2019/06/17

The overall experience with ABELDent is great. The staff working there always go above and beyond for their customers. I have had several very positive outcomes with them and find them all to be highly professional, knowledgeable and friendly.

Pros

Straightforward software, easy to use and train others on. I like the new features that have been added in the billing area. The new features save me so much time when posting payments.

Cons

Nothing too much. The only downside I feel is that when printing the primary and secondary insurance you have to go in and do it separately instead of before you can click both to print at the same time. Other than that its excellent. It's a very minor inconvenience.

Response from ABELDent

Thank you for taking the time to report on your experience using ABELDent. We are glad to see it's meeting your needs and you are happy with the support you are receiving.

We plan to address the insurance plan printing request in a future ABELDent enhancement.

Alan S.

AbelDent

Reviewed on 2019/09/24

My relationship with the sales department and the service department has always been positive.

Pros

I have been using AbelDent software in my dental practice since 1989. The software is very stable and reliable. I rarely if ever need help with the software . Over 30+ years, as the profession has changed, I have updated my Abel system every 10 years.

Cons

I dislike the Abel Logo, only because I can't submit this survey without an answer in this field

Response from ABELDent

Dear Dr. Seltzer:

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to provide feedback on your experience using ABELDent. We are glad to see that the updates you have implemented over the years continue to meet your needs.

Knowlton K.

dental software

Reviewed on 2019/09/26

We use it for all our dental practice management needs.
In regards to my con, the company realized their errors and introduced much better functioning add ons that allowed me to cancel the third party software

Pros

Extremely stable reliable software, no real problems over the years

Cons

slow to adapt newer technologies, had to use a third party software as the feature brought forward by abledent did not have proper functionality.

Response from ABELDent

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to provide feedback on your experience using ABELDent and for your support over the years. We are glad to see that the recent improvements made to ABELDent now better meet your needs so you no longer require your third party software.

Amira M.

Queenswood Dental

Reviewed on 2019/01/28

- we got unlimited training for 60 days and our trainer [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is very professional and has a lot of experience and knowledge which helped us to learn Abeldent fast and in detail.

Pros

- The software is highly organized and has a lot of features which make it easier for dentists and for the management to run reports in detail.
- The software is easy to learn and use in a short period.
- It has a nice feature called the letter manager that allow you to write letters from Abeldent which make it easier because it will include the patients information for you.

Cons

- you can not separate the financial for every member of the family unless you do not connect them as a family, you have to go through the financial tab to know which one of the family member has a balance owing.

Response from ABELDent

Fore simplicity, the majority of our customers prefer a family ledger that shows all family member charges together since in most cases, only one account holder is responsible for all charges. When viewing the family ledger (which can be accessed from any family member patient file), there are multiple display options which make it very easy to see the charges owing for each member

Shawna M.

Great product!

Reviewed on 2019/01/24

Pros

Reporting, ease of use, insurance set up, and all paperless features.

Cons

Would like cross over appointments (patient who has DDS and HYG appt in same day) to flash or highlight both appts when clicked on. Same for linked family members with appts in same day.

Response from ABELDent

The requested feature has been considered and will appear in a future version of ABELDent

Jennifer Y.

Outdated Dental Software

Reviewed on 2018/08/30

I used the software for 2 years and 3 months. I am grateful my employer was willing to switch to a modern dental software system and move away from the very antiquated ABELDent.

Pros

Two things I liked about ABELDent was that when you write a note about the appointment, it is date stamped and locked to the appointment. This was helpful. Along with the notes section that was either for that specific day and a section that was carried through every day. Two things that I could live without.

Cons

The software is outdated and "in transition". I have never used a dental software that has been "in between versions". There were certain functions with billing that would only work if you followed through with the second function otherwise you would get errors and the system would crash. The software crashed a lot and was not user friendly. Support calls were never very supportive and they usually didn't have the answer because their software was "in transition" to their next version. The accounting reports were miles long and was a headache for our accountant. They frequently didn't balance and I had to run a "silent report" to then refresh the system and try processing my month end for the second time hoping it would balance as the system confused it's own numbers. It is not user friendly capable of transitioning an office to go paperless with charts. The odontogram and charting is not modern. Appointments would occasionally "disappear" with no trace! Appointments cannot extending by dragging the appointment down, you must click into the appointment and extend the units of time.

Response from ABELDent

Customers only receive fully tested general release versions - "transition versions remain in development until ready for general release unless the customer agrees to beta testing. We now offer two platforms - local server solution with a traditional windows interface and a cloud server solution with a fresh modern user interface. Thousands of customers successfully balance their accounting transactions everyday - no need to do month end reports. We can't speak to the reason for the system crashes as this office remains anonymous and there could be any number of reasons for them. A large percentage of our customers have successfully transitioned to paperless. The ondontogram/ clinical note functionality has been upgraded in both ABELDent platform versions with the cloud version incorporating a bold new look and degree of customization. In summary, we have a documented high level of customer satisfaction however we realize we cannot keep every customer happy all the time.

Jackie M.

Review for ABELDent

Reviewed on 2019/02/12

ABELDent has been a pleasure to deal with. Challenges have been few, very far between and always addressed. We recently had our office shut down due to a flood in the city we live in which has closed our office down for over 9 months now. ABELDent staff has gone above and beyond to support us during this especially difficult time. I would not hesitate for a moment to recommend ABELDent.

Pros

The software is user friendly and the help menu is easy to navigate to find the information that you are looking for. The reports can be customized to bring up the exact information you are looking for from the program to fit your office requirements. The schedule is easy to customize and adding codes and changing colours is straight forward and extremely simple. Their website is great and easy to find what you are looking for. The tutorials are very helpful.

Cons

It would be nice to have more flexibility in changing the way the statements look and not be restricted to a certain number of characters in some areas. To be able to load a custom medical history would also be great as well to have a way to check contraindications with a patients medications.

Janis R.

Love It!

Reviewed on 2018/10/31

Pros

I find Abeldent to be very user friendly. Navigating around the software using one finger to locate different aspects of a patients chart is amazing.

Their support team is absolutely top notch, always answering calls promptly, very helpful and courteous.

Cons

New Voice Activation would help with charting.
Having more information about a patient at one time (but I believe this is in the Advantage version)
Some of the text boxes only holds a certain number of characters therefore some info needs to be abbreviated and this can be time consuming when training new staff.

Response from ABELDent

Thanks for the positive review and continued support. We do have plans to offer voice activated charting, starting with Perio. ABELDent Cloud Server version features a Patient Dashboard which compiles the most requested patient information for viewing on one screen. Special note fields have been added as well that expand significantly the number of characters that can be added in the fields.

Tanya P.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Easy to use dental software

Reviewed on 2018/10/25

Great

Pros

I find this software easy to use. A few years back our dental office went paperless and this was the software that was chosen. After a learning curve of a few weeks, I feel completely comfortable with the software. The best part of this software was making my own template for hygiene services, with a sub-section of choices. This saves me so much time with typing.

Cons

Some minor charting features are missing. Example would be it did not have the feature of indicating areas of bleeding on an implant (unless this has been updated)

Response from ABELDent

This feature will soon be added in a future version of ABELDent

• Industry: Computer Hardware

DENTAL IT SUPPORT Perspective

Reviewed on 2018/12/05

We really enjoy our relationship with Abelsoft and supporting Abeldent with our mutual client base.

Pros

Abel is always introducing new features and releases updates on a regular basis. Often we do not see with with other Practice Management vendors.
Support has always been excellent and your technicians are ready to assist if we ever need them.

Cons

We find the Rainbow technologies licensing is a bit sensitive and requires work arounds quite often to get it to work. I would love to see a licensing method or system that just works out of the box ....all the time if possible.

Steve P.

Abeldent (SQL) is a very robust product, and easy to administer for the most part.

Reviewed on 2018/02/27

Pros

The stability of the SQL version is very high, and rarely requires support calls to the manufacturer. The software seems to work well for the clients. The backups are automated and support is available 24/7 and even weekends in emergencies.

Cons

Their MDB version is very unstable at times, and is very difficult to get proper support for. The setup/customization of some items is either impossible or very esoteric. Bridging with xray software also esoteric to setup. Adding providers requires a call to Abel themselves and a fee, unlike most other dental software.

Response from ABELDent

We have moved our customers to the SQL version because of its stability and reliability. All new customers receive the SQL version. Bridging/setup with xray/imaging software may vary in difficulty depending on the software. Fees for adding providers are nominal and negotiable.

Medina N.

Excited to see what's next!

Reviewed on 2020/02/25

My overall experience with ABELDent has been extremely positive! There's 24 hours support, and knowledgeable customer support reps and trainers who understand the dental field. It makes a big difference when the person on the other end can make sense of what you're asking and WHY you need what you're asking for.

Pros

What I love most about ABELDent is how easy it is to use. I've used several other dental softwares and ABELDent allows the user to navigate through their preferred method. Some may choose to use the icons, some might like the right-click menu and then there are people like myself who LOVE the ability to use shortcut keys. I also enjoy the being able to multitask- I can bill, collect/allocate payments and submit to insurance from the scheduler. Being an Office Manager, it's important for me to able to complete my tasks quickly!

Cons

Although it's a rarity, I can't drag an appointment onto reservered time e.g lunch time. I can 'add' an appointment onto reserved time, but would like to just drag and drop it.

Response from ABELDent

Thanks for your positive feedback about ABELDent Support and your review of the software. We are pleased that you find the software easy to use and like the flexibility of having multiple navigation options to complete your tasks. Your suggestion on how to improve the appointment scheduler functionality will certainly be considered for future ABELDent updates.

Dr. susan a. D.

ABLE Abel

Reviewed on 2019/10/04

Simple and user friendly but also have very advance features for techy Practitioners

Pros

It has been around for so long and keeps updating itself with current practice culture / environment and technology.

Cons

Nothing ! Love everything about it except that one has to expect constant development, updates, upgrades
and options.

Response from ABELDent

Dear Dr. De Guzman:

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to provide details of your experience using ABELDent. We are glad to see you find the software easy to use and are benefiting from the updates, including the advanced features.

Brianne P.

Impressed with all the functions and feature of Abledent CS

Reviewed on 2020/11/09

Pros

I firmly believe that the training for this product was what allowed us to be able to able to take advantage of all the great feature this program has to offer. This company has an amazing team who is there for thier clients. Abledent CS has helped us advance our services and patient experience and have great features to assist in keeping up with COVID-19 protocols.

Cons

We have had a few glitches along the way but all have been resolved in a timely manner.

Response from ABELDent

Thank you for your kind and in-depth review of our software. We are happy that our team has met your needs and helped you make the most of our software! We are also pleased to hear that ABELDent CS is helping you advance your services and patient experiences. Our ongoing updates prioritize the health and safety of your team and your patients. We are focused on providing you with COVID-19 documentation and resources to make interactions with your patients safer and more comfortable. We hope you continue to enjoy ABELDent CS, and look forward to providing you with future updates!

Manuela B.

great product

Reviewed on 2018/09/25

Outstanding customer service, very curteous and helpful anytime you call.
An amazing product that makes our life soo much easier even during the busiest days at the office

Pros

It is very user friendly and most tasks are very intuitive and require minimal effort to complete.
We keep track of our proposed treatments in a very convenient manner by creating contacts that facilitate the job of the secretary when the time comes to schedule appointments.

Cons

As an office located in Quebec, the fact that it no longer provides french customer care and it cannot send claims to RAMQ directly... things that i think are going to be finally fixed very soon

Response from ABELDent

Your positive feedback validates that we are on the right track and it encourages us to continue providing great system features and customer support.

Unfortunately, we are no longer able to provide French customer care but we do continue to provide English language software that includes support for Quebec-specific features.

In 2018 RAMQ implemented a new version of their claims system. We are now certified to support that new system, and we are in the final stages of preparing a new update for release that will support this capability.

Amy S.

Good program, software.

Reviewed on 2019/09/26

Pros

ease of use. new employees seem to catch on quickly

Cons

updates and changes, thigs you used to be able to do, you can no longer with some updates. still some kinks in software and some things that take too many steps

Response from ABELDent

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience using ABELDent. We are glad to see you and your new employees find the software easy to use. Our goal when providing updates is to improve existing features as well as provide new functionality. Please contact us at your convenience to discuss if there is anything, in particular, you feel you are missing so we can meet your needs as much as possible.

Kristina N.

Abel Conversion

Reviewed on 2019/10/15

The ease of use with AbelDent is really the best way to describe what I like most.

Pros

Abel Portal has to be the best feature thus far. Our patients love it.

Cons

We had some hickups with the conversion from another software, but once resolved smooth sailing.

Response from ABELDent

Dear Kristina:

Thank you for taking the time to provide details of your experience using ABELDent. We are glad to see you find the software easy to use and your patients are benefiting from the ABEL Portal communication features. Data conversions from other systems can be a challenge but most issues are easily resolvable with the help of our clients.

Cecilia A.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Fantastic Software and Support!

Reviewed on 2021/02/08

Overall, our experience has been phenomenal. Our instructor Marica contributed to a pleasant and smooth transition into this new system and we could not have felt more comfortable and supported by her helpful and pleasant personality. We are appreciative of her support and look forward to using all the tips she shared with us.

Pros

What I love about this software the most is how intuitive it is. Many routine procedures can be done with ease and with very minimal training.
This software also has a function for just about anything, so it can be customized to fit every dental office's needs no matter the size or specialty.
The best part has to be the support, the staff at Abeldent are always ready and willing to help in a timely manner and are very knowledgeable and kind.

Cons

At this time we are still in the implementation stage of this software at our practice, which tends to be the toughest, but so far we have had only positive experiences.

Response from ABELSoft

Thank you for your in-depth review of our software! We are pleased to hear that ABELDent's ease of use helps you and your team efficiently complete routine procedures. Marica is a phenomenal team member here at ABELDent, and we are glad to hear that she has helped your office transition to our new software.

Darlene S.

Abel Review

Reviewed on 2018/10/22

Pros

Very easy to use. Still allows old school "letters" to access areas.

Cons

We feel some of the new updates take away from the ease of what was existing and already worked fine. It's great if you're a new office, we have been with Able from the beginning and do not like many of the new updates. Also if you do have a problem the waiting time, to get through to support can take up to 20 minutes and then if you have too many issues they will not handle them all, someone from support must call back - still waiting on a call from two weeks ago when I was told someone would call back re a financial issue - This reply is based on 4 dental team members and our experience. PS your last page of this review does not allow us to identify our office as a Dental Practice - so we used Medical Practice

Jennifer M.

Amazing Upgrade!

Reviewed on 2020/01/22

Pros

The new AbleDent Cloud has been such a wonderful upgrade for our small, growing dental practice! The many new features have allowed us to take our practice to the next level. Our favorite feature is the patient side toolbar that allows you to see all patient information clearly and concisely. (contact information, insurance information, medical alerts, financial status...etc... it's all there!)
The automated cloud backup is a huge time saver for us. Also our patients have been absolutely loving the built in text messaging program!

Cons

We haven't experienced any cons that the amazing support team has not been able to address or work on for us!

Response from ABELDent

Thank you for your kind review. We are glad that your upgrade to the ABELDent Cloud Server version with its new user interface and workflows is working well for you. We have found that many of our other customers have also enjoyed the benefits of automated cloud backups and the appointments reminders feature that helps improves appointment retention rates. Once again, thanks for your continued support.

Leahann P.

Abeldent Dental Software review

Reviewed on 2019/09/23

Abeldent is a great dental software. I have been using it in our office for 26 years, since it was first installed. It is user friendly. When working, whether is be in the schedule, accounts, contacts, it is straightforward and has a good very good flow.
The Abeldent help section has very good explanaition on topics, when needed.
The Abeldent Sotware Support is excellent. Abeldent Staff are always wonderful to deal with and always helpful. It is rare that I need to contact the Abeldent Software Support for help. It is a very good dental software.

Pros

Abeldent is a great dental software. It is very user friendly. It allows us to customize our schedule for our office needs. When working, whether is be in the schedule, accounts, contacts, it is straightforward and has a good very good flow.
The Abeldent help section has very good explanaition on topics, when needed.

Cons

Honestly, I haven't come across anything that I don't like. I guess if there was 1 thing that I like least about this software is that it has limited space for additional description/notes for appointments. It would be nice if these extra notes could show up on the schedule. It is only on occasion that we need it. We are able to work around it.

Response from ABELDent

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to provide feedback on your experience using ABELDent. We are glad that you have been able to easily customize the scheduler to your preferences and that the ABELDent administrative workflows are meeting your needs.
With respect to appointment scheduler notes, there are several new features to bring different types of notes to a user's attention while still respecting patient privacy. Please contact us at your convenience to discuss how we might better meet your needs.

Ken S.

AbelDent at Stonley Dental Studio

Reviewed on 2019/09/30

Patient data and reporting are completely paperless. Reports are very useful and can be run for any and all time frames. The software is excellent for our purposes.

Pros

Software has been specifically designed for dental practices and the training and support has been excellent and very timely.

Cons

Occasionally issues have arisen after an update has been installed that have taken a while for the AbelDent to resolve. The issues never stopped our business from being able to operate. Once reported to AbelDent follow up was immediate and a resolution followed shortly thereafter.

Response from ABELDent

Dear Ken:

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience using ABELDent. We are glad to see the software is meeting your needs and you have had positive experiences with our training and support teams. Our goal when providing updates is to improve existing features as well as provide new functionality but as you have pointed out, sometimes issues arrive glad we were able to resolve them to your satisfaction in a timely fashion.

Elizabeth H.

ABELDent is the Best

Reviewed on 2020/02/07

Overall I have had a positive experience with ABELDent. I have trained others and been trained on updates. It just gets better.

Pros

I find Abel to be extremely user friendly. I have worked with it now for 20 years and it just keeps getting better. I recently changed employers, and my new office has a newer more improved version. I thoroughly enjoy working on it. I feel comfortable with the upgrade after a mere 2 weeks.

Cons

Some financial aspects could be tweaked. Financial history should be individual and or easily separated.

Response from ABELDent

Thanks for the positive review and your continued loyalty using ABELDent. It's rewarding to know that you find the system user-friendly and the updates to be of good value. Financial history can be shown individually for any patient responsible for paying their own charges. The family account ledger will show the charges of all individuals that the designated account holder is responsible for.